WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:12 am
Robert Urich
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Robert Urich (December 19, 1946 - April 16, 2002) was an Emmy-winning actor, best known for playing private investigators on the television series Spenser: For Hire (1985-1988) and Vega$ {1978-1981). He also starred in numerous other television series over the years.

Early years

He was born of Slovakian extraction and raised Roman Catholic in the small town of Toronto, Ohio. Due to the similarity in names with Toronto, Ontario, many sources list him incorrectly as being a Canadian, but his second wife, Heather, is actually a Canadian from the latter city.

Urich went to Florida State University on a football scholarship. In 1968 he earned a bachelor's degree in Radio and Television Communications. He went on to Michigan State University after working in Ohio to earn an master's in Broadcast Research and Management.

Acting Career

Between 1973 and just prior to his death in 2002, Urich had lead or supporting roles in no less than 17 television series (including several documentary programs). He also regularly hosted National Geographic TV specials. Most of his TV series were short-lived, however several were successes, including ''Vega$ and Spenser: For Hire. In the 1990s, Urich reprised the role of Spenser in several made-for-TV films.

In 1996 Urich announced that he had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer that attacks joints called synovial cell sarcoma. He ultimately died from this disease at the age of 55, although he continued to appear in film and TV during treatment. His final TV series was in the short-lived sitcom Emeril (starring Emeril Lagasse) in 2001.

Urich was first married to actress Barbara Rucker (1968-74). He later married actress Heather Menzies in 1975, and they remained married until his death in 2002. Heather Menzies Urich had played one of the von Trapp children in the film version of The Sound of Music with Julie Andrews. Urich and Menzies adopted three children. Like her husband, Menzies battled cancer, however she is a cancer survivor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Urich
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:14 am
Jennifer Beals
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jennifer Beals (born December 19, 1963 in Chicago, Illinois) is an American film actress.

Beals is a former teen model who is probably best known for her role as Alex Owens in the 1983 movie blockbuster Flashdance. Flashdance made Beals a Hollywood star and a household name.

It was later revealed that some of the scenes in that movie where athletics were required were actually performed not by Beals herself, but by double Marine Jahan. Beals has since starred in a list of lesser-known films and independent projects. She has participated in a little more than 50 movies.

Beals currently is starring in Showtime Network's The L Word. Jennifer Beals is a close friend of Quentin Tarantino's; Quentin often stayed at Beals's home while struggling as an aspiring director before Pulp Fiction was made. They appear together in Four Rooms.

She appears as herself with her first husband Alexandre Rockwell in an Italian film called Caro Diario directed by Nani Moretti. In a scene with the main actor (also Nani Moretti), she responds to him in Italian after being accosted by him outside the Roman city walls. She translates between Italian and English, almost giving the impression she is fluent in the language.

Beals is of mulatto ancestry, with an African-American father (deceased since she was 10) and an Irish mother. She is a graduate of Francis W. Parker School and Yale University.

Jennifer was married to Alexandre Rockwell from 1986 to 1996; she is currently married to Ken Dixon. Jennifer had her first child, a daughter, in October 2005 (Dixon has two children from a previous marriage). Due to a desire to maintain her family's privacy, Beals has not publicly released the child's name or birthdate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Beals
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:56 am
Milord Ellpus, you are a big softie. And I like that in a person.

Big sisters' suitors, dancing at the palais, all that.

It's just amazing how things have changed since the 1950s.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:27 am
Make that early sixties McT, and I'm with you...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:41 am
Well, there's our Boston Bob, listeners, with his educational background on notables. Great selection today, Bob. Our listeners appreciate your information on Jennifer Beals as most of us probably did not know her heritage.

I for one did not know of Urich's degree in radio and tv broadcasting as well. So very sad about his untimely death.

For those of us who are handicapped in foreign languages:

La Vie en Rose

(English)
Hold me close and hold me fast
The magic spell you cast
This is la vie en rose
When you kiss me, Heaven sighs
And though I close my eyes
I see la vie en rose
When you press me to your heart
I'm in a world apart
A world where roses bloom
And when you speak
Angels sing from above
Every day words
Seem to turn into love songs
Give your heart and soul to me
And life will always be
La vie en rose

I thought that love was just a word
They sang about in songs I heard
It took your kisses to reveal
That I was wrong, and love is real

Hold me close and hold me fast
The magic spell you cast
This is la vie en rose
When you kiss me, Heaven sighs
And though I close my eyes
I see la vie en rose
When you press me to your heart
I'm in a world apart
A world where roses bloom
And when you speak
Angels sing from above
Every day words
Seem to turn into love songs
Give your heart and soul to me
And life will always be
La vie en rose

It seems that our Francis is once again jet setting to parts unknown, and we hope he returns to us soon.

Ah, L.E., that was indeed sentimental as McTag has observed, and bravo for the sentiment, Brit.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:51 am
I wonder, folks, if we promise not to play Fur Elise, if we can coax Walter back among us. Razz

Also, I am a mite surprised that Mr. Turtle has not been here with his "Chart" music, and our dj with his dedication to people of the past.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:57 am
Good day all at WA2K.

Some of today's birthday celebs:

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/corel/CPH363/375046.jpghttp://www.movie-gazette.com/directory/img/cicely%2Btyson.jpg
http://www.literarytraveler.com/piaf/piaf.jpghttp://www.consumeraffairs.com/images/urich.jpghttp://www.nndb.com/people/937/000025862/jennifer-beals.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:12 am
Raggedy, you always present our audience with the most fantastic photos. Thanks, PA for the great array today.

In noticing that Miles and Cicely were married, I need some verification myself.

Are these the lyrics to the Davis midnight song?

'Round Midnight Lyrics
Artist(Band):Linda Ronstadt Review The Song (0)
Print the Lyrics

Linda Ronstadt
written by Bernie Hanighen, Cootie Williams, Thelonious Monk
© 1944 (renewed) Warner Brothers Inc (ASCAP)

It begins to tell 'round midnight
'Round midnight
I do pretty well 'til after sundown
Suppertime I'm feeling sad
But it really gets bad 'round midnight

Memories always start 'round midnight
'Round midnight
Haven't got the heart to stand those memories
When my heart is still with you
And old midnight knows it too

When some quarrel we had needs mending
Does it mean that our love is ending
Darling I need you
Lately I find
You're out of my arms
And I'm out of my mind

Let our love take wing some midnight
'Round midnight
Let the angels sing
For your returning
Let our love be safe and sound
When old midnight comes around

Let our love take wing some midnight
'Round midnight
Let the angels sing
For your returning
Let our love be safe and sound
When old midnight comes around
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:10 am
"chart music" as requested: Cool

(Do, do, do, do, do, do-do-do-do)
(Do, (doop, doop) do, do, do, do)
(Do, do, do, do, do, do-do-do-do)

(Do-do-do-do...)

I'm eighteen with a bullet
Got my finger on the trigger, I'm gonna pull it
I'm picked to click now
I'm a son-of-a-gun
So hold it right there little girl, little girl
We're gonna have big fun

I may be an oldie, but I'm a goodie, too
I'll last forever and I'll be good to you
Oh, yes I will

(Do, do, do, do, do...)

I'm a super-soul sure-shot, yeah
I'm a national breakout
So let me check your playlist, mama
Huh, c'mon let's make out

I'm high on the chart
I'm tip for the top
But till I'm in your heart
I ain't never gonna stop
Never, never baby

We got a smash double-header
If we only stay together
Talkin' 'bout you
Talkin' 'bout me

(Do, do, do, do, do...)

Yes I will
Be my A-side, baby, be beside me
Right now, right now I'm a single
But pretty soon you'll see

We'll have a hit first time
It won't be long, we'll find
That we're raising a whole L.P.
Woo-hoo

You know I'm eighteen, woo-hoo, with a bullet
Yes I am, baby (Do, do, do, do...)
I got my finger right there on the trigger
I'm gonna pull it, pull it, pull it
You better start makin' plans, baby
This old house is too small, now, now, now
I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I
I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I
(Shoop shoop shoop shoop, be doo be doo doo...)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:23 am
Well, there's Mr. Turtle with his bullet brigade. <smile> Thanks, Yit.

Here's an answer by an unknown:

Pop Will Eat Itself
ยป Bulletproof

Is everybody happy?
Everbody's happy now!
Everybody's singing!
Everbody's happy, maahn!
We're bulletproof!
You + I!
Unify!
You + I!
Unify!
You + I!
Unify!
(Repeat ad infinitum)

No wonder they are unknown, folks.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:38 pm
COMMERCIAL TIME ------------------

http://www.tvparty.com/vaultcomm.html

1957 Dodge
CHP Cars

The Dodge Coronet coupe was the vehicle of choice for California Highway Patrol cruisers in 1957.

In this commercial, we are shown the sleek CHP headquarters in LA along with chrome-rimmed, black and white Dodge beauties hurtling through the desert thanks to torsion air suspension.

From 1956-1988, Dodge sold cars to the CHP - now they primarily buy Ford Crown Victorias and Camaros.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:06 pm
Ah, John, a much needed car commercial. Since the price of petrol/gasoline has risen, many folks are car pooling with this stretch limo:

http://www.sheridanmedia.com/site/news/2005-07-21/wyoming%20stretch%20limo.jpg

Isn't she a beauty, folks?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:20 pm
news break:

House approves $39.7 bln spending cuts By Richard Cowan
2 hours, 48 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The House of Representatives on Monday narrowly voted to cut $39.7 billion from federal spending over five years, including health care and other social welfare, as part of a conservative push to contain these growing programs.

By a vote of 212-206, the House, at the end of a rare overnight session, approved the spending cuts, which were opposed by Democrats.

"We have a plan to reform the government and achieve savings," said House Budget Committee Chairman Jim Nussle, an Iowa Republican.

In separate legislation, the House also approved a 1 percent reduction in spending this fiscal year for all federal programs, except for the Veterans Administration, to save an additional $8 billion.

The five-year budget bill, which was trimmed from the nearly $50 billion in savings approved by the House last month, is expected to be debated by the Senate this week.

Democrats criticized spending cuts to student loans, child care and other programs. Rep. John Spratt (news, bio, voting record) of South Carolina, the senior Budget Committee Democrat, complained that Republicans were negotiating last-minute deals to help medical equipment manufacturers and suppliers, while maintaining reductions in some programs for the poor.

Rep. Chet Edwards (news, bio, voting record), a Texas Democrat, said, "This bill under the Republican leadership makes Scrooge look like a philanthropist."
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:22 pm
can't have ad time without some classic jingles: Razz

first, the Campbell Kids':

http://tvacres.com/images/campbell2.jpg
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:23 pm
How many miles too the nosebag does it do ?
And how often does it need its' water checked
I don't see the booze cabinet, the TV set, or a copy of horse breeder magazine. Quite honestly, I better Trigger is turning in his grave. That nice Dale Evans would give Trigger a big kiss & kuddle while that old softy Roy Rogers sang him a song.
I bet Gabby Hayes is wonderin whats going on as well
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:29 pm
Love it, Mr. Turtle. See listeners? American kids have always been fat, 'cause they loves Campbell soups.

Well, John, we can't all drive a T-Bird, now can we. <smile>
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:40 pm
not if daddy takes it away we can't. anyhow I have a Japanese Nissan built in the UK. Ah so, geisha girl have fun fun fun till John take the Nissan away
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 02:12 pm
Well, listeners, I just did a quick research on the Beach Boys, and in spite of their checkered past, I was surprised to find this song:

- Beach Boys The Lyrics - Wings Of Dove Lyrics

Rain come down for days makes such thunder
This old house can't take that much more
And it just might take you and me under
Makin' such a great commotion
You could hear the clatter
Put the pots and pans on the floor
And just let it pour

In the tintinnabulation
You can hear the rain as it (rains?)
The whole wide world in great jubilation
Underneath the pitter patter
Say it doesn't matter
Somethin' say you feelin' ok
And just fly away

On the wings of a dove
You bring me my love
She's singin' so sadly
Wings lifting my love
She's drifting above
The push and the shove
On wings of a dove

Rain come down to wash away sorrow
This whole town is covered in gray
God let it rain my nights to tomorrow
Someone here in tribulation
Say does it matter
Someone say you feelin' ok
On one rainy day

On the wings of a dove
She's singin' of love
The thing we need badly
Things I wish I had
When she seems sad
I would sing gladly
On wings of a dove

Do do you
Do you
Do do you
Do you

On wings of a dove

Have fun, fun, fun with your Nissan, Brit.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 03:19 pm
This is me feeding my new friend, and trying to ensure my arm does not follow the bunch of (unpeeled) bananas down its throat...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/feedingelephantMudumalai.jpg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 03:53 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Make that early sixties McT, and I'm with you...

In the late 1950s and up to about 1962, the big dance halls (palais de danse) had a big band, playing for ballroom dancing and the occasional rock 'n' roll number.

1962-63 the Beatles and the Mersey Sound was upon us, and "groups" were in, bands went out fast. Clubs and discotheques supplanted the big dance halls, or the halls changed their format, along with the music.

Transistor radios...youth culture and fashion...the period 1959-69 saw huge, rapid and unprecedented social change, maybe more than any decade since.
0 Replies