WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:21 am
Maria Callas
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Maria Callas (Greek name: Μαρία Καλογεροπούλου; December 2, 1923 - September 16, 1977) was an American-born Greek soprano and perhaps the best-known opera singer of the post-World War II period. She combined an impeccable bel canto technique with great dramatic gifts, making her the most famous singing actress of the era. An extremely versatile singer, her repertoire ranged from classical opera seria, such as Spontini's La Vestale to late Verdi and the verismo operas of Puccini.

Born Maria Anna Sofia Cecilia Kalogeropoulos to Greek parents in Brooklyn, New York, she moved with her mother to Athens, Greece at the age of 13. There she received her musical education and became a pupil of the well-known soprano Elvira de Hidalgo at the Athens Conservatory. After a few appearances as a student and in secondary roles, she made her professional debut at the Athens Opera on July 4, 1941, as Tosca, going on to sing Santuzza and Leonora during the next three years. In 1947, Callas made her Italian debut at the Verona Arena in La Gioconda under the baton of Tullio Serafin. Together with Serafin, Callas subsequently recorded and performed many bel canto operas, contributing greatly to the bel canto revival of the 1950s.

Throughout the 1950s, Callas made numerous appearances at the world's great houses: La Scala in Milan, Opera Garnier in Paris, the Metropolitan Opera in New York City, Dallas Opera (Dallas), Royal Opera House in London, Mexico's Palacio de las Bellas Artes, and the Teatro Colón in Buenos Aires. By the mid 1950s, strain on her voice started to become apparent; by 1958 it reached a point where she was no longer suitable for many roles. Her later stereo recordings evidence masterly musical interpretations with an increasingly unstable higher register that wobbled uncontrollably at times. Her last new production at La Scala was Donizetti's Poliuto in 1960. The role was well chosen for her vocal capacities. The premiere was on La Scala's traditional opening day, 7th December, Saint Ambroise Day. It was a great success and is still remembered today as a model.

In her final years as a singer, there were performances of Medea, Norma and Tosca , most notably her Paris, New York, and Royal Opera House Covent Garden "Tosca"s of January/February 1964 and, her last performance on stage, on 5th July 1965 at Covent Garden.

In 1969 the Italian filmaker Pasolini cast Callas in her only non-operatic acting role, playing the legendary greek sorceress Medea in his film of the same name. The production was gruelling and Callas is said to have fainted after a day of strenuous running back and forth on a mudflat in the sun. Unfortunately the film was not a success in any commercial sense, but is nevertheless as cinematically interesting as any Pasolini film. Callas' only film appearance offers clear evidence of her legendary and charismatic stage presence: her ability to hold an audience's attention while standing still, revealing an economy of gesture and movement that makes her stand apart from most other opera performers.

A television film of Act 2 of the famous Covent Garden "Tosca" of 1964 was broadcast in Britain on 9th February of that year. It gives a rare view of Callas in performance and, specifically, the extraordinary on-stage relationship which Callas had with Tito Gobbi; it's a wonderful record of what would be one of her last performances on stage. The film is available on DVD.

From October 1971 to March 1972, Callas gave a series of master classes at the Juilliard School in New York. (These classes later formed the basis of Terrence McNally's 1995 play Master Class). In 1972, George Moore, president of the Met board, offered her the job of Artistic Director.

She turned it down to stage a series of comeback recitals in Europe in 1973 and in the US, Korea and Japan in 1974 with the tenor, Giuseppe Di Stefano, but it was a musical disaster due to Callas's almost-completely destroyed voice. However, it was an enormous popular success as audiences thronged to hear the Callas they remembered. Her final public performance was on 11th November 1974 in Sapporo, Japan.

Callas was romantically involved for many years with the Greek shipping tycoon Aristotle Onassis, and their love affair received much publicity. She was introduced to him in 1957, after a performance in Donizetti's Anna Bolena, at a party given in her honor by Elsa Maxwell. In November 1959, she left her husband, Giovanni Battista Meneghini, for Onassis. According to one of her biographers, Nicholas Gage, Callas and Onassis had a child, a boy, who died hours after he was born on March 30, 1960. The relationship ended nine years later, when Onassis left Callas for Jacqueline Kennedy, widow of assassinated US president John F. Kennedy.

Heartbroken ("First I lost my voice, then I lost my figure and then I lost Onassis," she once said), Callas spent her last years living largely in isolation in Paris, and died in 1977 from a heart attack at the age of 53. The funeral service was held at the Greek Orthodox Church on Rue Georges-Bizet on September 20, 1977, and her ashes were buried in the Père Lachaise cemetery. After being stolen and later recovered, they were scattered into the Aegean Sea, off the coast of Greece.

In late 2004, opera and film director Franco Zeffirelli made a bizarre claim that Callas may have been murdered by her companion, Greek pianist Vasso Devetzi, motivated by Callas' $9,000,000 USD estate. As Devetzi carried out Callas' wishes in founding the Maria Callas Foundation, which provides international scholarships for young singers, this seems unlikely. A more likely explanation is Callas' overuse of quaaludes. Devetzi may have conned Callas' sister, Lakintha, into signing her share of the estate over to herself.

Greatly admired by many opera fans, disliked by others, Callas was a controversial artist. Her supporters called her "La Divina" and raved about the dramatic intensity and ravishing portayals she brought to the opera stage. Callas' detractors believed that she regularly pushed her voice beyond its natural limits, achieving her dramatic effect at the expense of beauty of tone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Callas
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:23 am
Julie Harris
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Julie Harris (born Julia Ann Harris on December 2, 1925 in Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan) is an American actress.

She has received more Tony Award nominations (ten) and wins (five) than any other performer and in 1966 won the Sarah Siddons Award for her work in Chicago theatre. Harris's screen debut was in 1952 in The Member of the Wedding, for which she was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress. She had created the role on Broadway. She has also appeared in such seminal films as East of Eden, Reflections in a Golden Eye, and Requiem for a Heavyweight.

Besides her Academy Award nomination and her Tony Awards, Harris has won three Emmy Awards and has been nominated eleven times.

On television, she is best known for her role as Lilimae Clements on the soap opera Knots Landing, a role she played from as a recurring character from 1980 to 1981 and as a series regular from 1981 to 1987.

She lives in Chatham, Cape Cod, and was a friend to the late illustrator Edward Gorey and neighbor to the late Shirley Booth whom she visited. While there she has continued to work and has narrated 5 historical documentaries by Christopher Seufert and Mooncusser Films and is active as a director on the board of the independent Wellfleet Harbor Actor's Theater. She has also done extensive voice over work for documentary maker Ken Burns.

She is thrice divorced with one son, Peter Gurian.

She has survived (despite her seemingly frail physique): breast cancer, a bad fall requiring surgery and a stroke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Harris
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:37 am
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 11:31 am
Ah, Bob of Boston, You have really been an asset to our virtual station. It's always neat to read your bio's. I'm trying to place Julie Harris and misplace Britney. <smile>

Well, folks, we miss our European friends, but I would expect that many are caught up in Christmas, etc.

For our Bob and our Raggedy tcb and hamburger and done by Francis Albert, among others:

Angel Eyes

Try to think that love´s not around
Still it´s uncomfortably near
My old heart ain´t gaining no ground
Because my angel eyes ain´t here

Angel eyes, that old devil sent
They glow unbearably bright
Need I say that my love´s mispent
Mispent with angel eyes tonight

So drink up all you people
Order anything you see
Have fun you happy people
The drinks and the laughs are on me

Pardon me but I got to run
The fact´s uncommonly clear
Got to find who´s now number one
And why my angel eyes ain't here
Oh, where is my angel eyes

Excuse me while I disappear
Angel eyes, angel eyes.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 11:55 am
So the pope has banished limbo to limbo? Whatever would Dante say?

Here's Chubby's version:

Chubby Checker

Every limbo boy and girl
All around the limbo world
Gonna do the limbo rock
All around the limbo clock
Jack be limbo, Jack be quick
Jack go unda limbo stick
Hey, let's do the limbo rock

Limbo lower now
Limbo lower now
How low can you go

First you spread your limbo feet
Then you move to limbo beat
Limbo ankolimboneee,
Bend back like a limbo tree
Jack go unda limbo stick

la la la etc (instead of instrumental break)

Get yourself a limbo girl
Give that chic a limbo whirl
There's a limbo moon above
You will fall in limbo love
Jack go unda limbo stick

Don't move that limbo bar
You'll be a limbo star
How low can you go
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:08 pm
Dante would say this:

Autumn Song

Know'st thou not at the fall of the leaf
How the heart feels a languid grief
Laid on it for a covering,
And how sleep seems a goodly thing
In Autumn at the fall of the leaf?

And how the swift beat of the brain
Falters because it is in vain,
In Autumn at the fall of the leaf
Knowest thou not? and how the chief
Of joys seems--not to suffer pain?

Know'st thou not at the fall of the leaf
How the soul feels like a dried sheaf
Bound up at length for harvesting,
And how death seems a comely thing
In Autumn at the fall of the leaf?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:10 pm
Raggedy, I just read that yesterday was your daughter's birthday. I'm sure she is a very lucky girl to have you as a mother.

Haig's birthday reminded me of his "I'm in charge here," after Reagan was shot. That sent shivers up and down my spine!

McT, don't be a meanie and keep us hanging; how on earth did the Albuquerque Fish Landing Quay get to India????I didn't even know Albuquerque had a fish landing quay, much less India!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:12 pm
Remember what I told you once about Albuquerque families, Diane...
0 Replies

tcb

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:15 pm
And now a word from our newest sponsor…
Mr and Mrs' Chocolate Pies
Delectable and filled to the brim, covered by a thin, thin, thin 16 millimeter shell!
Perfect for those hard to get at taste buds
And wait for it! "When you close the refrigerator door the light stays on!"
Tune in tomorrow for our evening program of afternoon show tunes!
Copyright and with a heaping helping of homage to the folks at Firesign Theatre!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:16 pm
hey francis, que es queso?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:18 pm
Dys - Velveeta?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:21 pm
por que no? is it french?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:38 pm
French "fromage" is a completely different thing...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:46 pm
Yes I've heard that, is Euro Disney a completly different thing as well?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:47 pm
Well, listeners. We would like to welcome tcb to our studio, chocolate pies and all. Great to see you here, my friend.

Diane, honey, neither Dante nor Milton would say one word unless it's through our respective mediums. <smile> (or should that be media)

And as Francis and dys chat about cheese, we are wondering what happened to our Lord and his red velvet smoking jacket.

Perhaps a song dedicated to him?

Folks, I tried to find Maria Callas' aria in Aida without much success. Will try later on.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:47 pm
btw francis, I love your new hat, it brings out the highlights in your eyes.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:48 pm
Francis, The Autumn Song is one of my favorites.

Eventually, you will create a civilized human being out of Dys and what will I do then? I love the beastly man!!

Tcb, welcome. You've been a newbie for a long time.

Firesign! Dys and you should go on the road with it. I think he has memorized all of their radio programs

(Sung to the tune of "Back in the Saddle, again")

The Whisperin' Squash[singing]:

Back from the Shadows again !
Out where an In-jun's your friend!
Where the veg'tables are green,
And you can pee into the stream!
Yes, we're back from the Shadows again!

Reprise (Whisperin' with others):
We're goin' back to the Shadows again !
Out where an Indian's your friend!
Where the vegetables are green,
And you can pee right into the stream!
(And that's important!)
We're back from the Shadows again!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 01:29 pm
er, Diane, I like your parody on Back in the saddle, but who is firesign?

Our listeners are eager to know.

Another commercial to go with tcb's pie

http://www.i-mockery.com/visionary/pics/cheese-pirate.jpg

Got cheese?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 01:37 pm
and, listeners, a little jingle:

Advertising jingle with a lively tune. It has been heard for decades on New Zealand Tv, sung by two dancing cartoon dairy farmers, Ches and Dale. Legend has it that members of a 1970s New Zealand overseas trade delegation sang it, on an overseas trip, when asked to sing a New Zealand folk song.
"We are the boys from down on the farm,
We really know our cheese
There's much better value in Chesdale,
It never fails to please.

Chesdale,
Slices thinly
Never crumbles,
Theres no waste.
And boy, it's got a mighty taste!
Chesdale cheese!"

It's finest cheddar
Made better!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 01:44 pm
Diane wrote:
Francis, The Autumn Song is one of my favorites.

Eventually, you will create a civilized human being out of Dys and what will I do then? I love the beastly man!

Diane, dear, spoiling your happiness would be heartbreaking to me!

So, I'll let him stagnate in his abjectness...
0 Replies