Pop! Pop! Pop!

There's a happy feeling nothing in the world can buy
When they pass around the coffee and the pumpkin pie
It'll nearly be like a picture print by Currier and Ives
These wonderful things are the things we remember all through our lives
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:18 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Ah, ehBeth, was that a dedication song, TO? I really like it.

UhOh! edgar has started the snow and mistletoe stuff. Get ready, folks, for the onslaught.

While in Orlando, I watched Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis in "Christmas with the Kranks." Really funny movie with a great message.

Well, think Iwill take a moment to have some studio coffee. Back later with more news, anecdotes, and music.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:26 am
Charles M. Schulz
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Charles Monroe Schulz (November 26, 1922 - February 12, 2000) was a 20th-century American cartoonist best known for his Peanuts comic strip.

Life and career

Schulz was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Dena and Carl Schulz. His nickname, "Sparky", was given by his uncle, after the horse Spark Plug in the Barney Google comic strip.

He attended St. Paul's Richard Gordon Elementary School, where he skipped two half-grades. As a result, he was the youngest in his class when he attended St. Paul Central High years later, which may have been the reason why he was so shy and isolated as a young teenager. After his mother died in February, 1943, he was drafted into the army and sent to Camp Campbell in Kentucky. He was then shipped to Europe two years later to fight in World War II as an infantry squad leader with the U.S. 20th Armored Division. After leaving the United States Army in 1945, he took a job as an art teacher at Art Instruction Inc., from which he had taken correspondence courses before he was drafted.

His drawings were first published by Robert Ripley in his Ripley's Believe It or Not!, then in a Catholic comic book series called Topix. His first regular cartoons, Li'l Folks, were published from 1947 to 1949 by the St. Paul Pioneer Press; it was in this strip that Charlie Brown first appeared, as well as a dog that looked much like Snoopy. In 1948, Schulz also sold a cartoon to the Saturday Evening Post; seventeen single-panel cartoons by Schulz were publised in the Post.

In 1948, he first attempted to get Li'l Folks syndicated, through the Newspaper Enterprise Association. Schulz would have been an independent contractor for the syndicate, unheard of in the 1940s, but the deal went through. Li'l Folks was dropped in 1949, and in 1950 Schulz approached the United Features Syndicate with his best strips from Li'l Folks, and Peanuts made its first appearance on October 2, 1950. This strip became one of the most popular comic strips of all time. He also had a short-lived sports-oriented comic strip called It's Only a Game (1957-1959), but abandoned that strip due to the demands of the success of Peanuts.

He put a lot of his own life into Peanuts' main character, Charlie Brown. For example:

* Schulz's father was a barber and his mother a housewife.
* Schulz also had a dog when he was a boy. Unlike Snoopy, Schulz's dog Spike was a pointer). Eventually, it was revealed that Snoopy had a desert-dwelling cousin... named Spike.
* Schulz was also shy and withdrawn.
* Schulz's "Little Red-Haired Girl" was Donna Johnson, an accountant at Art Instruction Inc., with whom he had a relationship. He asked her to marry him, but she refused. However, they remained friends for the rest of his life.

Schulz moved briefly to Colorado Springs, Colorado. His family did not stay in Colorado for long, but Schulz did paint a wall for his daughter Meredith in that home, featuring Patty, Charlie Brown and Snoopy. The wall was removed from the home in 2001 and donated to the Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa, California. The restored artwork by Schulz is printed in the paperback edition of Chip Kidd's book Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz.

Schulz and family returned to Minneapolis, where they stayed until 1958. The family moved to Sebastopol, California, where Schulz built his first studio. It was here that Schulz was interviewed for the unmade television documentary A Boy Named Charlie Brown. Some of the footage was eventually used in a later documentary titled Charlie Brown and Charles Schulz. Schulz's studio was destroyed by fire in 1966, and by 1969 he had moved again, to Santa Rosa, California.

Schulz lived and worked for over 30 years in Santa Rosa. In 2000, the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors rechristened the "Sonoma County - Charles M. Schulz Airport" in his honor. The airport's amusing logo features Snoopy in goggles and scarf, taking to the skies on top of his red doghouse. The Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa, opened August 17, 2002, celebrates his life's work and art of cartooning. A bronze statue of Charlie Brown and Snoopy stands in Depot Park in downtown Santa Rosa.

Schulz was married twice. He married his first wife, Joyce Halverson, in 1951. They had five children. Their eldest son is author Monte Schulz. Schulz and Halverson divorced in 1972. He later married Jean Forsyth Clyde in 1973, with whom he was married for the rest of his life.

Schulz's father died in 1966 while visiting him, the same year his first studio located west of Santa Rosa in Sebastopol, California, burnt down.

Schulz touched on religious themes in his work, including the classic television cartoon, A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965), which features the character Linus van Pelt, Charlie Brown's best friend, in a show-stopper, quoting the King James Version of the Bible (Luke 2:8-14) to demonstrate "what Christmas is all about." Schulz had been active in the Church of God as a young adult and then later taught Sunday school at a United Methodist Church, but his religious views evolved over the years. By the late 1980s he told one of his biographers (Rheta Grimsley Johnson, 1989) that he identified with Secular Humanism. In the Sixties, Robert L. Short interpreted certain themes and dialogues in Peanuts as being in agreement with parts of Christian theology, as he (Short) explained in his bestselling paperback book, The Gospel According to Peanuts. Schulz did not endorse Short's specific interpretations and often said that "the only theology is no theology."

Peanuts ran for nearly 50 years without interruption and had appeared in over 2,600 newspapers in 75 countries. In November 1999 Schulz had a stroke, and later it was discovered that he had colon cancer that had metastasized to his stomach. Because of the chemotherapy and the fact he couldn't read or see clearly, he announced his retirement on December 14, 1999, at the age of 77. This was difficult for Schulz, and he was quoted as saying "I never dreamed that this would happen to me. I always had the feeling that I would stay with the strip until I was in my early eighties, or something like that. But all of sudden it's gone. It's been taken away from me. I did not take it away. This was taken away from me."

The last original strip ran on February 13, 2000. Schulz had died at 9:45 p.m., the night before in Santa Rosa of a heart attack. Ironically, Schulz had always predicted that the strip would outlive him (with his reason being comic strips are usually drawn a few weeks before their publication.) As part of his will, Schulz had requested that the Peanuts characters remain as authentic as possible and that no new comic strips based on them be drawn. To date his wishes have been honored, although reruns of the strip are still being syndicated to newspapers. He is interred in Pleasant Hills Cemetery, in Sebastopol.

He was also a fan of hockey and was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame in 1993. On June 28, 1996, Schulz was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, right next to Walt Disney's. A replica of this star appears outside his former studio in Santa Rosa, California. The Charles M. Schulz Museum opened in 2002 two blocks away from this same studio.

Forbes Magazine has rated Schulz the "highest paid deceased person" in America, with his estate continuing to garner income totaling more than $32 million since his passing. According to the book "Where Are They Buried?" (as well as other sources), Charles M. Schulz's income during his lifetime totaled more than $1.1 billion dollars, a true testament the impact Schulz had on 3 generations of Americans who grew up with the Peanuts gang and "good Ol' Charlie Brown".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_M._Schulz
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:32 am
Robert Goulet

Robert Goulet (born November 26, 1933) was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts, as the only son of French Canadian parents, Joseph Georges Andre Goulet and Jeanette Gauthier. He began singing when he was five years old. At one family gathering, Goulet's aunts and uncles blacked out his face with a burnt cork, put on his mother's white gloves and he entertained everyone with an Al Jolson impersonation. The applause terrified him, and for many years left him with a fear of performing.

He would later move to Edmonton, Alberta, with his mother where he attended St. Joseph's High School and began studying at Herbert G. Turner's famous voice school in Edmonton and then later studied at Jean Letourneau's music school. Soon after, Goulet became a radio announcer for CKUA. Goulet won a scholarship to Toronto's Royal Conservatory of Music, where he studied acting and singing.

Goulet continued voice training through 1952-1954 with famed oratorio baritones George Lambert and Ernesto Vinci on a Royal Conservatory Of Music scholarship.

He became a semi-finalist in 1952 on CBC-TV's Pick The Stars which led to other network appearances on shows like the Canadian version of Howdy Doody (in which he starred opposite another future star, William Shatner), Singing Stars Of Tomorrow and Opportunity Knocks.

In 1959, Goulet was introduced to librettist Alan Jay Lerner and composer Frederick Loewe, who were having difficulty casting the role of Lancelot in their stage production Camelot. Lerner and Loewe, impressed by Goulet's talent, signed the virtual newcomer to play the part, opposite Richard Burton's King Arthur and Julie Andrews' Queen Guinevere. In October of 1960, Camelot opened in Toronto, briefly ran for a four-week engagement in Boston, and finally opened on Broadway in December of that year. Goulet received favorable reviews, most notably for his show-stopping romantic ballad "If Ever I Would Leave You".

After Camelot's run, Goulet was booked on The Danny Thomas Show and The Ed Sullivan Show, which made him a household name among American audiences.

He appeared in a production of Rose-Marie with Inga Swenson, and in 2005 appeared in the Broadway revival of La Cage aux Folles. Goulet began a recording career with Columbia Records in 1962 which resulted in more than 15 albums.

Goulet began working in films in 1962, providing the voice of one of the characters in the animated feature Gay Purr-ee opposite Judy Garland. His first acting role was in His and Hers (1964), but it was not until a cameo appearance as a singer in Louis Malle's Atlantic City (1980) that Goulet was given critical acclaim. He recorded the song "Atlantic City (My Old Friend)" for Applause Records in 1981. He was absent from the screen for seven years until he was cast by Tim Burton as a houseguest blown through the roof by Beetlejuice and also played himself in Bill Murray's Scrooged (both 1988). In 1991, Goulet starred, along with John Putch and Hillary Bailey Smith, in the unsold television series pilot Acting Sheriff. In 1993, he played himself in the Simpsons episode "$pringfield." In that episode, he sang the well-known "Jingle Bells (Batman Smells)" although he has yet to record the song commercially. In 1996, he appeared in Ellen DeGeneres' first starring vehicle, Mr. Wrong, as an insecure TV host.

Goulet remains popular in Las Vegas and performs in hotels and in concerts around the world. He has gained popularity with younger generations thanks to comedian Will Ferrell's recurring over-the-top impersonation of him on Saturday Night Live.

The longstanding report, repeated in many reference books, that Goulet's real name is Stanley Applebaum is false. The error resulted from an offhand remark Goulet made to a group of reporters when he first became famous.

Goulet and his first wife, Louise Longmore, had one daughter, Nikki. He and his second wife, Carol, Lawrence, produced two sons, Christopher and Michael. In 1982 he was married a third time in Las Vegas, Nevada to Vera Novak. When not at their home in Las Vegas they reside on their yacht in Los Angeles, California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Goulet

If Ever I Would Leave You :: Robert Goulet

If ever I would leave you
It wouldn't be in summer.
Seeing you in summer I never would go.
Your hair streaked with sun-light,
Your lips red as flame,
Your face witha lustre
that puts gold to shame!

But if I'd ever leave you,
It couldn't be in autumn.
How I'd leave in autumn I never will know.
I've seen how you sparkle
When fall nips the air.
I know you in autumn
And I must be there.

And could I leave you
running merrily through the snow?
Or on a wintry evening
when you catch the fire's glow?

If ever I would leave you,
How could it be in spring-time?
Knowing how in spring I'm bewitched by you so?
Oh, no! not in spring-time!
Summer, winter or fall!
No, never could I leave you at all!
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:34 am
Rich Little

Rich Little (born Richard Caruthers Little on November 26, 1938 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) is a comedian best known for his celebrity impersonations.

Little was one of three sons of a physician. Little had a gift for impersonations since his school days and began performing professionally in night clubs at 17. He acted in Ottawa's Little Theatre and became a successful disc jockey who frequently incorporated impersonations into his show. In 1963, Little was asked to audition by Mel Torme, who was producing a new variety show for Judy Garland. Little's audition won him the job and he broke into American show business.

Little was a frequent guest on variety and talk shows. He was a regular guest on Dean Martin's Celebrity Roasts in the 1970s. He was named Comedy Star of the Year by the American Guild of Variety Artists in 1974. He hosted The ABC Comedy Hour (also known as KopyKats) in 1972, The Rich Little Show in 1976, and The New You Asked For It in 1981. Little has also appeared in several movies and released nine albums.

Little has been active in several charities including the Juvenile Diabetes Fund and the Children's Miracle Network. He has been named to Miami Children's Hospital International Pediatrics Hall of Fame and been honored by the naming of the Rich Little Special Care Nursery at Ottawa Civic Hospital.

Little was married to Jeanne Worden from 1971 until their divorce in 1989. The couple have a daughter, Bria. He married Jeannette Markey in 1994; they divorced in 1997. Little married his current wife, Marie Marotta, in 2003.

While Little is still a Canadian citizen, he resides in Las Vegas, Nevada, where he performs regularly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Little
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:41 am
Tina Turner

Tina Turner (born Anna Mae Bullock on November 26, 1939 in Nutbush, now Brownsville, Tennessee) is an American R&B, pop, rock and soul singer, Buddhist and occasional actress. She is well-known for her scorching performances with The Ike and Tina Turner Revue during the 1960s and 1970s, and best known for her remarkable solo comeback in the mid-1980s. Tina Turner is noted for her overpowering stage presence -- long legs, big hair, and powerful voice.

Biography

Ike & Tina Turner

Anna Mae Bullock was discovered by Ike Turner, a noted pioneer of rock and roll, whom she later married. She began as an occasional vocalist in his show at the age of 18, but within a couple of years she not only had a new name, but was the spotlight of a popular soul revue led by Ike Turner and his Kings of Rhythm.

Ike and Tina Turner recorded a number of hits in the 1960s and early 1970s, including "A Fool In Love", "It's Gonna Work Out Fine", "I Idolize You", "Nutbush City Limits", and the legendary "River Deep - Mountain High" (with producer Phil Spector). Their signature hit became their frantic cover version of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Proud Mary" (1971).

Beginning a solo career: What's Love Got to Do with It?

Ike's alleged increasingly abusive behavior led Tina to abruptly leave him in 1976. She credits her newfound Buddhist faith with giving her the courage to strike out on her own. Around this time, she appeared solo in a memorable cameo as the Acid Queen in the film of The Who's Tommy rock opera. Tina finalized her divorce in 1978 after 18 years of marriage, accusing Turner of years of severe spousal abuse and rampant drug addiction in her autobiography I, Tina, which was later made into the film What's Love Got to Do with It?. To put the marriage (and Ike) behind her, Tina left the marriage with no money or property, asking for and retaining only the use of the stage name Ike had given her.

She began touring extensively to pay the bills and released several solo albums in the 1970s, but her career stalled until teaming with BEF for a remake of The Temptations' "Ball of Confusion" and recording a remake of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together", which drew the attention of Capitol Records. The 1984 album Private Dancer had three top ten singles: the Hot 100 chart-topper "What's Love Got to Do with It?" (which eventually won Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female at the 1985 Grammy Awards), the title track (written by Mark Knopfler), and "Better Be Good To Me". In 1984 she also recorded a duet with Bryan Adams entitled "It's Only Love".

In 1985, she appeared as Aunty Entity in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome with Mel Gibson, and scored another hit with the movie's theme song, "We Don't Need Another Hero". That same year, she infamously dueted with Mick Jagger in a performance of "State of Shock" at the Live Aid benefit concert at JFK Stadium.

She led several extensive world tours in the 1980s and 1990's and released several more successful albums.

During the early 1990s, her song "Simply the Best" had become the theme song of the legendary British world champion boxer Chris Eubank and also the anthem of Rugby League in Australia. The advertising campaign brought a lot of interest to the game, and the campaign reached a height when Turner appeared at and performed the song at the 1993 ARL Grand Final. A Rugby League version of the songs video clip was also released around the same time, which was in the top ten videos in Australia for a long time as well.

In 1995, she recorded the title theme of the James Bond movie GoldenEye, penned by Bono and The Edge of U2.

Tina Turner today

Her last world tour, which ended in 2000, was the top grossing act of the year.

Tina has two natural sons (one is Ike's, the other from a previous relationship with a musician from the Kings of Rhythm). She also raised Ike's two sons from his previous marriage.

Born a Baptist, she credits her adopted religion, Buddhism, with giving her the strength to endure difficult times.

She gained great popularity throughout Europe and moved there permanently in 1986 to share a home with Erwin Bach, a German-born EMI record company executive 16 years her junior. In addition to a lakeshore home on the Goldküste, the most exclusive district of Zurich, Switzerland, Turner has an estate in France at Villefranche-sur-Mer, a small town about 4 miles (6km) east of the city of Nice. Her home there sits atop Mont Vinaigrier, overlooking the Mediterranean Sea.

Now semi-retired, she teamed up with Phil Collins to record the song "Great Spirits" for the Disney film Brother Bear (2003).

In 2004, she released her latest greatest hits abum, All the Best, which made Tina's highest Billboard 200 debut of her career (entering at #2). She did several live television performances in the US and Europe, highlighted by an interview and performance on The Oprah Winfrey Show in Spring 2005. Also in 2005, Tina was honored as one of the top legends in the entertainment business by Winfrey and her peers.

In September 2005, it was announced that Turner would be one of the recipients of the Kennedy Center Honors, which host their awards at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC every December. Turner joins an elite group of entertainers including contemporaries Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Little Richard and Chuck Berry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tina_Turner

What's Love Got To Do With It :: TINA TURNER

YOU MUST UNDERSTAND
THAT THE TOUCH OF YOUR HAND
MAKES MY PULSE REACT
THAT IT`S ONLY THAT THRILL
OF BOY MEETING GIRL
OPPOSITES ATTRACT

IT`S PHYSICAL
ONLY LOGICAL
YOU MUST TRY TO IGNORE
THAT IT MEANS MORE THAN THAT

[CHORUS]
OH WHATS LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT
WHAT`S LOVE BUT A SECOND HAND EMOTION
WHAT`S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT
WHO NEEDS A HEART
WHEN A HEART CAN BE BROKEN

IT MAY SEEM TO YOU
THAT I`M ACTING CONFUSED
WHEN YOU`RE CLOSE TO ME
IF I TEND TO LOOK DAZED
I`VE READ IT SOMEPLACE
I`VE GOT CAUSE TO BE

THERE`S A NAME FOR IT
THERE`S A PHRASE FOR IT
BUT WHATEVER THE REASON
YOU DO IT FOR ME

[CHORUS]

I`VE BEEN THINKING OF A NEW DIRECTION
BUT I HAVE TO SAY
I`VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT MY OWN PROTECTION
IT SCARES ME TO FEEL THAT WAY

WHAT`S LOVE BUT A SWEET OLD FASHIONED NOTION
WHO NEEDS A HEART WHEN A HEART CAN BE BROKEN
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:11 am
Good morning, Bob of the bio's. Well, I am guessing, but I bet that our listeners know every one of your notables.

http://www.adorinareyes.com/peanutsgang.jpg

THE COASTERS lyrics - "Charlie Brown"

www.OldieLyrics.com

Fe-fe, fi-fi, fo-fo, fum
I smell smoke in the auditorium

Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown
He's a clown, that Charlie Brown
He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
(Why's everybody always pickin' on me)

That's him on his knees
I know that's him
Yeah, from 7 come 11
Down in the boys' gym

He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see

Who's always writing on the wall
Who's always goofing in the hall
Who's always throwing spit balls
Guess who (who, me) yeah, you

Who walks in the classroom, cool and slow
Who calls the English teacher, Daddy-O

He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see

[Instrumental Interlude]

Who walks in the classroom, cool and slow
Who calls the English teacher, Daddy-O

He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:27 am
Charlie Brown - Two Man Sound

Se voce quiser vou Ihe mostrar
a nossa Sao Paulo terra da garoa
Bahia de Caetano nossa gente boa.

Charlie eh meu amigo Charlie
eh meu amigo Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown
eh meu amigo Charlie eh meu amigo Charlie Brown.

Se voce quiser vou Ihe mostrar a
nossa Sao Paulo terra da garoa
Bahia de Caetano nossa gente boa
a lebre mais bonita do Imperial
neu Rio de Janeiro e o nosso Carnaval.

. . .

Vinicius de Moraes e o som de Jorge Ben
Torcida do Flamengo coisa igual nao tem

Se voce quiser vou Ihe mostrar Luiz Gonzaga
Rei do meu baiao
Brasil de ponta a ponta do meu coracao.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:40 am
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:05 am
Good afternoon, Francis and Walter. Well, folks, there you have a Spanish Charlie and a German Charlie. Wonder if there's a Romanian Charles?

News from Greece:

Official Says Parthenon Safe From Seepage By DEREK GATOPOULOS, Associated Press Writer
Fri Nov 25, 4:31 PM ET

ATHENS, Greece - Athens' ancient Parthenon is not under threat from water seeping into rock beneath it, despite successive days of torrential rainfall this week, an official said Friday.

"There is absolutely no danger," said Deputy Culture Minister Petros Tatoulis.

No water was escaping through a temporary floor installed inside the Parthenon for restoration work, he said.

Architect Manolis Korres, a key figure in the massive restoration project at the 2,500-year-old monument that sits atop the Acropolis, had warned Wednesday that rainwater was gradually draining into rock underneath the Parthenon and could eventually weaken the monument's foundations.

Athens and other parts of Greece have been battered by storms and heavy rainfall this week, which caused flooding, limited power cuts, disrupted transport services and caused the death of one woman in southern Greece.

Also Friday, Tatoulis toured the site of a new Acropolis Museum with campaigners from 12 countries seeking the return of sculptures removed from the Acropolis 200 years ago and housed at the British Museum in London.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:28 am
And, listeners, our quote for the day:

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:31 am
How about both triumphing together?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:44 am
Yes, you are right, Francis. Together is an Arc de Triomphe of a sort. <smile>

Interesting, folks. I had no idea that Rich Little was from Canada, but I still have the VCR of his Christmas Carol.

Here's a lovely song by someone of whom I have never heard

David Hasselhoff - Avignon Lyrics
I take your hand in mine
and journey back in time
to Avignon
do you recall the day
it seems like yesterday
when love come along
the little street cafe
where we would hide away
just playin' our song
we strolled along lover's lane
ignoring showers of rain
my sweet Madeline

We didn't own a thing
but we had everything
my Madeline
down by the riverside
we'd sit and watch the tide
my Madeline
we used to have such fun
we used to be as one
we're still the same
just picture in your mind
all those carefree times
my sweet Madeline

I found my fist love
in Avignon
my first and last love
in Avignon
let's go back and say hello
to the memories of long ago
together we'll wander
through old Avignon

The cafe still remains
although it's rearranged
our table's still there
the same old atmosphere
is that our song I hear
love everywhere
you look the same today
as you did yesterday
sun in your hair
gonna walk through the town
take a look around
with my sweet Madeline.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:36 am
Well, my goodness, folks. Of course I have heard of David Hasselhoff, he of Night Rider and Baywatch fame. So, that song can be for either Walter or Francis. What a surprise.

and ehBeth's song was by The Turtles. Guess who that was dedicated to. Razz
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:42 am
Good Morning.

Good grief, my post and pictures isn't here. Could have sworn it went through. Oh well. I'll try again.

Today's birthdays:

1288 - Emperor Go-Daigo of Japan (d. 1339)
1436 - Princess Catherine of Portugal, writer (d. 1463)
1607 - John Harvard, English-born clergyman (d. 1638)
1609 - Henry Dunster, English president of Harvard College (d. 1659)
1657 - William Derham, English minister and writer d. 1735)
1678 - Jean Jacques d'Ortous de Mairan, French geophysicist (d. 1771)
1703 - Theophilus Cibber, English actor and writer (d. 1758)
1792 - Sarah Grimke, American abolitionist and feminist (d. 1873)
1832 - Mary Edwards Walker, American feminist physician (d. 1919)
1832 - Karl Rudolf König, German physicist (d. 1901)
1847 - Maria Fyodorovna, Princess of Denmark and Empress of Russia (d. 1928)
1864 - Edward Higgins, British Salvation Army General (d. 1947)
1869 - Maud, Queen of Norway (d. 1938)
1876 - Willis Carrier, American engineer and inventor (d. 1950)
1877 - Alfred Cortot, Swiss pianist (d. 1962)
1885 - Heinrich Brüning, Chancellor of Germany (d. 1970)
1889 - Albert Dieudonné, French actor, screenwriter and novelist (d. 1976)
1894 - Norbert Wiener, American mathematician and founder of Cybernetics (d. 1964)
1898 - Karl Ziegler, German chemist, Nobel Prize laurete (d. 1973)
1899 - Bruno Hauptmann, German kidnapper of Charles Lindbergh III (d. 1936)
1905 - Bob Johnson, American baseball player (d. 1982)
1910 - Cyril Cusack, Irish actor (d. 1993)
1912 - Eugène Ionesco, Romanian-born playwright (d. 1994)
1912 - Eric Sevareid, American journalist (d. 1992)
1915 - Earl Wild, American pianist
1922 - Charles M. Schulz, American cartoonist (d. 2000)
1924 - George Segal, American Pop Sculptor (d. 2000)
1925 - Eugene Istomin, American pianist (d. 2003)
1931 - Adolfo Pérez Esquivel, Argentine activist, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize
1933 - Robert Goulet, American singer and actor
1937 - Boris Yegorov, Soviet cosmonaut
1938 - Porter J. Goss, American politician and Central Intelligence Agency director
1938 - Rich Little, Canadian comedian and actor
1939 - Tina Turner, American singer and actress
1939 - Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, 5th Prime Minister of Malaysia
1943 - Bruce Paltrow, American producer and director (d. 2002)
1945 - Daniel Davis, American actor
1945 - John McVie, British musician (Fleetwood Mac)
1946 - Art Shell, American football player and coach
1947 - Susanne Zenor, American actress
1948 - Krešimir Ćosić, Croatian basketball player (d. 1995)
1949 - Juanin Clay, American actress (d. 1995)
1951 - Cicciolina, Italian actress and politician
1953 - Harry Carson, American football player
1956 - Dale Jarrett, American race car driver
1969 - Shawn Kemp, American basketball player
1970 - Dave Hughes, Australian comedian
1971 - Ronald "Winky" Wright, American boxer
1972 - Arjun Rampal, Indian actor
1974 - Ajay Mehra, Indian columnist (Writer of Pubhop in Bangalore Weekly)
1976 - Maven Huffman, American professional wrestler
1981 - Aurora Snow, American actress
1981 - Stephan Andersen, Danish international footballer
1981 - Natasha Bedingfield, British singer
1985 - Lil' Fizz, American singer
http://www.broadwaytovegas.com/robertgoulet.jpg http://www.onlineseats.com/upload/concerts/693_con_tina1.jpg http://www.milestoneproductions.50megs.com/images/rich_little-slide.jpg
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:47 am
Letty, i wish turtles could claim credit for more today than yesterday, but spiral staircase gets the nod. however, turtles will be ever remembered for this one:

Imagine me and you, I do
I think about you day and night, it's only right
To think about the girl you love and hold her tight
So happy together

If I should call you up, invest a dime
And you say you belong to me and ease my mind
Imagine how the world could be, so very fine
So happy together

I can't see me lovin' nobody but you
For all my life
When you're with me, baby the skies'll be blue
For all my life

Me and you and you and me
No matter how they toss the dice, it had to be
The only one for me is you, and you for me
So happy together

I can't see me lovin' nobody but you
For all my life
When you're with me, baby the skies'll be blue
For all my life

So happy together

Ba-ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba-ba ba, ba-ba ba
Ba-ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba-ba ba, ba-ba ba

So happy together

So happy together
And how is the weather
So happy together
We're happy together
So happy together
Happy together
So happy together
So happy together
Ba-ba-ba-ba

Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:55 am
Well, listeners, there's our Raggedy with ("good grief" ) celebs and a legerdemain of restoration. Thanks, PA

Rich, Tina, and Goulet are an interesting trinity, right?

Speaking of the East Indian celebs, folks:

India Balloonist Sets Highest Flight Mark By RAMOLA TALWAR BADAM, Associated Press Writer
45 minutes ago

BOMBAY, India - An Indian textile millionaire apparently broke the world record Saturday for the highest flight in a hot air balloon.

The record by Vijaypat Singhania is subject to verification, but his son Gautam Singhania said the 44-ton balloon climbed nearly 70,000 feet, beating the old mark of just under 65,000 feet.

"This goes to show to the world that we are not bullock cart drivers, but we can compete against the best of the world," the balloonist said.

One of the balloon's designers said the height will be determined by instruments sealed inside the capsule. Once verified by aeronautical groups, the findings will be submitted to Guinness World Records.

The 67-year-old balloonist landed safely after a nearly five-hour flight inside a pressurized cabin suspended from the 160-foot-high, multicolored balloon.

The flight was carried live on Indian national television.

"The exact height reached was 69,852 feet. This is subject to certification," said Colin Prescott, one of two British designers of the balloon.

The previous world record was 64,997 feet, set by Sweden's Per Lindstrand in Plano, Texas, in June 1988.

Hundreds of jubilant villagers crowded around the balloon to congratulate Singhania.

"When I broke the record, I was euphoric. I screamed quite loudly," he said.

Singhania lifted off from downtown Bombay and landed safely on barren land near Panchale, a village about 150 miles south of Bombay.

Singhania, the chairman emeritus of the Raymond Group, one of India's leading textile companies, also set a record for ultralight aviation 17 years ago when he flew 6,000 miles from Britain to India in 23 days.

Gautam? Hmmmm. That must be our banker's kin. <smile>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 11:08 am
I declare, Mr. Turtle. Isn't that what our Canuck played for us?

UhOh, folks. I swear all I have had this AM is coffee!

Hmmm. Maybe we had better do another by Tina:

Left a good job in the city,
Workin' for The Man ev'ry night and day,
bet I never lost one minute of sleepin',
Worryin' 'bout the way things might have been.

CHORUS:
Big wheel keep on turnin',
Proud Mary keep on burnin',
Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river.

Cleaned a lot of plates in Memphis,
Pumped a lot of 'pane down in New Orleans,
But I never saw the good side of the city,
'Till I hitched a ride on a river boat queen.

CHORUS

If you come down to the river,
Bet you gonna find some people who live.
You don't have to worry 'cause you have no money,
People on the river are happy to give.

CHORUS

Wasn't "Proud Mary" synonymous with pot?

Incidentally, Creedence Clearwater also did that one.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 03:35 pm
and this bit of news is for our Mr. Turtle, folks:

Bosnian town erects world's first Bruce Lee statue By Miran Jelenek
Sat Nov 26,11:58 AM ET

MOSTAR, Bosnia (Reuters) - Bosnia's southern town of Mostar unveiled the world's first statue of kung fu legend Bruce Lee on Saturday, paying homage to a childhood hero of all its divided ethnic groups.

The life-size 1.68 meter (5ft 7in) bronze statue is situated in Mostar's central park, close to the former front line of Bosnia's 1992-95 civil war. A decade after the conflict, Mostar's Muslim and Croat inhabitants remain deeply split.

Unveiled by its initiators, Veselin Gatalo and Nino Raspudic of Mostar's Urban Movement, the statue portrays the Chinese-American actor, who died 32 years ago, in a typical defensive fighting position.

"This does not mean that Bruce Lee will unite us, because people are different and cannot be united and we will always be Muslims, Serbs or Croats," Gatalo said. "But one thing we all have in common is Bruce Lee."

Gatalo has said Lee -- a hero to teenagers all over Bosnia in the 1970s and 1980s -- epitomised justice, mastery and honesty, virtues the town had badly missed.

The statue shows Lee facing north, so that Muslims in the eastern part of Mostar and Croats in its western half do not see him as poised for a fight with them. Croatia is in the south.

The ceremony on a rainy autumn day was attended by dozens of people and the ambassadors of China and Germany, both of which helped the project. They watched a display of martial arts by Bosnian youths.

Hong Kong, where Lee grew up, will unveil its own statue of the martial arts master on what would be his 65th birthday on Sunday at a ceremony attended by his widow Linda.

Lee was born in San Francisco and shot to fame with a series of martial arts movies, staring with "Enter the Dragon" in 1973. He died aged 32 from swelling on the brain.

Mostar's most famous symbol -- a 16th century bridge which the Bosnian Croat artillery destroyed in 1993 during some of the fiercest battles of the war -- was rebuilt last year but unification and reconciliation in the town have been slow.

Raspudic said the statue would help Mostar find a new association. "It's no longer a black hole," he said.

It took Gatalo and Raspudic, both ethnic Croats, more than two years to realize their idea.

And for Bruce and the turtle:

Kung Fu Fighting Lyrics

Everybody was kung-fu fighting
Those cats were fast as lightning
In fact it was a little bit frightning
But they fought with expert timing

They were funky China men from funky Chinatown
They were chopping them up and they were chopping them down
It's an ancient Chineese art and everybody knew their part
From a feint into a slip, and kicking from the hip

But they fought with expert timing

There was funky Billy Chin and little Sammy Chung
He said here comes the big boss, lets get it on
We took a bow and made a stand, started swinging with the hand
The sudden motion made me skip now we're into a brand knew trip

But they did it with expert timing

(repeat)..make sure you have expert timing
Kung-fu fighting, had to be fast as lightning
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:45 pm
Goodnight, Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight til it be morrow.

From Letty with love
0 Replies