WA2K Radio is now on the air

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:11 am
Letty, my second favorite painting by today's Belgian celeb (who happens to be my favorite painter):

http://www.abcgallery.com/M/magritte/magritte53.JPG

and while i'm here, i might as well impersonate a know-it-all brat, and point out that Voltaire never said "I may not agree with your opinion, etc." or the French equivalent thereof. my source seems to have vanished, but Amazon.com has a book on this sort of thing, called They Never Said It: A Book of Fake Quotes, Misquotes and Misleading Attributions. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:32 am
Hey, Mr. Turtle. I'm be back later, honey, and comment. Must leave now.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:40 am
there's a thief in the a2k studio, they stole the Magritte! Shocked luckily, there's another copy. Smile

http://www.csulb.edu/~dbrown/spring99/phil415/images/magritte.Human%20Condition.JPG
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:57 am
Magritte, whose paintings are so enjoyable to me..

I appreciated the long piece on Voltaire - I was forbidden to read him in my youth and haven't gotten around to it in my middle agest. Whenever I hear snippets of what he said or wrote I think, I got to start reading Voltaire..
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:58 am
Oh, no! The lasers were turned off. Someone has stolen hebba and Magritte. Ah, folks, at least our turtle is safe in his shell.<smile>

Well, Yit, if Voltaire didn't say that, he should have done so;perhaps he defended someone to the death.

Wonder where Europe is hiding, too?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:20 am
Europe is contemplating it's navel & going a little crazy, if the following is any guide. ----------------------------------------------------------------------

One door closes, another door opens

Smoker tried to open plane door

The woman was arrested when the plane landed in Australia
A French woman has admitted attempting to open an aeroplane door mid-flight so that she could smoke a cigarette.
Sandrine Helene Sellies, 34, who has a fear of flying, had drunk alcohol and taken sleeping tablets ahead of the flight from Hong Kong to Brisbane.

She was seen on the Cathay Pacific plane walking towards a door with an unlit cigarette and a lighter.

She then began tampering with the emergency exit until she was stopped by a flight attendant.

Defence lawyer Helen Shilton said her client had no memory of what had happened on the flight on Saturday, and that she had a history of sleepwalking.

She pleaded guilty to endangering the safety of an aircraft at Brisbane Magistrates Court and was given a 12-month A$1,000 (£429) good behaviour bond - she will forfeit the money if she commits another offence.

The French tourist was at the start of a three-week holiday in Australia with her husband.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4456076.stm
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:34 am
They are crazy, these French!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:39 am
Well, where in the world have you been, brat?

That item was a testament to the power of "fear of flying." Wow! Got any other good news, John?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:42 am
I've been reading " Fear of Flying" by Erica Jong...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:49 am
Very Happy Francis, I meant the other brat.

Well, folks, we have a Brit and two brats and now we need a song for both.

Play it, Erica.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:52 am
Yes, Erica, play it again :

"A passionate novel... the body wanting sex, sex, sex and love and safety, comfort; the mind wanting freedom, independence, the power to work, to write... very alive and real. It is wonderfully funny and sad, witty and agonizing, brilliant, sensual, serious"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:03 pm
Fantastic review, Paris. Strange, there really is a song called Fear of Flying and it must have been ghost written by Erica, cause I can't play it and still retain our license, listeners. It was by someone called Vitamin C.

I opted for a different song:

Artist/Band: Fairchild Shelly
Lyrics for Song: Fear of Flying
Lyrics for Album: Ride
I've worn down these wheels so much that they don't even spin.
And I've picked the lock to your heart as if I were tryin' to break in
You poor little thing, that ball and that chain must be ten thousand pounds
Must be draggin' you down by now

So fly away, fly away like you've always wanted to do
Don't be afraid baby I'll make it easy on you
I'll be the strong one cause I love you still
If you can't say goodbye then baby I will
I hope someday you'll get over your fear of flying

We've been running from the truth so long that we can't catch our breath
Oh and now heartache and a bottle of whiskey is all we've got left
You poor little thing, locked up in your cage
And I'm not the one stepping on your wings

So fly away fly away like you always wanted to do
Don't be afraid baby I'll make it easy on you
Don't say a word and don't make a sound
Just get up and take your feet off the ground
I hope someday you'll get over your fear of flying

So fly away fly away like you've always wanted to do
I'll say goodbye baby I'll make it easy on you
Oh I love you I hate you I miss you like hell
But most of all baby I wish you well
Maybe one day I'll get over these tears I'm crying
Oh and someday you'll get over your fear of flying

Baby someday you'll get over your fear of flying

[
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:16 pm
While we pause to let the studio cool down a bit, folks, let look at another kind of flying.

http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~rviau/ids/Artworks/matisse.icarus.sm.gif
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:26 pm
Letty, my love, I think this is the song you mentioned earlier For Goldie Hawn's film Foul Play.

Ready To Take A Chance Again :: Barry Manilow

You remind me I live in a shell
Safe from the past and doin' okay but not very well
No jolts, no surprises, no crisis arises
My life goes along as it should
It's all very nice, not very good

CHORUS
And I'm ready to take a chance again
Ready to put my love on the line with you
Been livin' with nothing for show for it
You get what you get when you go for it
And I'm ready to take a chance again with you

When she left me, in all my despair
I just held on, my hopes were all gone
Then I found you there

CHORUS

CHORUS

And I'm ready to take a chance again
Ready to take a chance again with you
With you
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:52 pm
Ah, hawkman, you just saved me from the silence. That's the one, Boston. Does Francis sound pissed off to you? Razz

That is one of the few Manilow songs that I ever really liked.

I'm a bit surprised that no one has named that painting. Frankly, I understand Voltaire better than I understand Magritte or the other fellow.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:59 pm
i knew it was Henri Matisse, but i had to look up the title--Jazz--which is a book, not just a painting. i'll have to look into it sometime. BTW, Ray Bradbury wrote a wicked short-story called The Watchful Poker Chip of H. Matisse. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:09 pm
Another little story from the Little Island.
But first a song --------------------------------

Wait, oh yes wait a minute mister postman
Wait, wait mister postman

Mister postman look and see
You got a letter in your bag for me
I been waiting such a long time
Since I heard from that girl of mine

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4457650.stm

Directors jailed for dumping mail

The pair made up to £1m each in 2002
Two directors of a private mail firm who admitted dumping more than 350,000 letters have been jailed for two years.
Southwark Crown Court heard Inderpal Narula, 33, and Royston Heaton, 42, who worked at Mail Logistics in Acton, west London, each netted up to £1m a year.

They arranged for international mail, from firms including Royal Mail, to be put in rubbish skips across London.

Letters included hospital blood tests, charity mail shots and university acceptance letters.

Fork-lift truck

Narula of Green Lane, Burnham, Berks, and Heaton, of Holton, Oxon pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud between March 2001 and May 2002.

Zhivko Antov, who was responsible for discarding parcels and letters using a fork-lift truck, was given a nine-month suspended sentence after admitting to the same charge.

Mail Logistics was approached to deliver post in bulk internationally and at a cut price. Their charges for distribution ranged from £1 to £100.

The court heard Narula and Heaton pocketed £1m each in 2002 by not paying for the mail to be delivered.

As well as small companies who lost out as a result of the non-delivery of mail, individuals missed out on mail which was vitally important to their lives

Nigel Seed QC

Antov received only his normal wages and the price of his air fare to Bulgaria.

Royal Mail became suspicious after receiving complaints from overseas magazine subscribers who had not received their orders.

Hundreds of copies of Geo-Scientist and Majesty Magazine were found in a skip at the firm's premises.

Nigel Seed QC, said: "As well as small companies who lost out as a result of the non-delivery of mail, individuals missed out on mail which was vitally important to their lives.

"Officers found leaflets and letters from the charity Amnesty International as well as letters of certification allowing doctors to work overseas from the British Medical Council."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:12 pm
Well, I see our Yit is not just another pretty turtle, listeners.

I didn't understand why in the world Matisse called that painting Icarus and Jazz. So, it was a combination of a book and a myth, then.

Hmmm, Haven't read that short story. I am a bit surprised, because at one time I read every science fiction short story that I could get my hands on, folks.

Hey, any requests? We need some more music in here.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:12 pm
by the way, i just remembered an amusing incident from work a long time ago. i had a poster of this Matisse work in my office:

http://www.mdtnguyen.com/Matisse%20-%20Blue%20Nude.jpg

a woman coworker objected, claiming it was a nude. so i cut out a halter from a piece of paper and pasted it over the figure's chest in the interest of decency. if i were doing it now. i might have cut out a fig leaf instead. ;-)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:24 pm
Yit, you funny, funny man. I hope your coworker noticed, but I doubt it.

While we waiting for someone to request a song, here's a little update on Yit's observation:

author of

Jazz Modernism:

From Ellington and Armstrong to Matisse and Joyce

How does the jazz of Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Fats Waller, Billie Holiday, and Charlie Parker fit into the great tradition of the modern arts between 1920 and 1950? In his book Jazz Modernism, cultural historian Alfred Appel compares the layering of sex, vitality, and the vernacular in jazz with the paper collages of Picasso, and the vital mix of high and low culture found in Joyce.

Appel believes that the musical construct of jazz was pared down by the idiom's masters as sculpture was in Calder's hands or prose in Hemingway's, and points out that Armstrong tore apart and rebuilt Tin Pan Alley material in the way modernists in the visual arts arrived at wood assemblage and scrap-metal sculpture. He argues that Ellington's "jungle" style was as un-primitive as Brancusi's self-conscious Africanesque sculpture.*

A work not without controversy, Jazz Modernism is an illuminating study that allows fans of art and culture a new way of understanding jazz. Appel discusses his book with us in a June, 2003 Jerry Jazz Musician interview.
0 Replies