WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:45 pm
Rockin' in the Free World got my attention, dj.

I pause to hear the words, Canada. No tears, just a grimness that I can't explain.

It's approaching the anniversary of my father's death, listeners. With everyone's indulgence, I think I shall play a song for him.

Don't Let the Deal Go Down:

Where did you get those high top shoes,
Where did you get those clothes so fine.
I got my shoes from a railroad man,
And my dress from a driver in the mine.

Don't let the deal go down, Lord Lord,
Don't let the deal go down,
Don't let the deal go down, honey babe,
Til your last gold dollar is gone.

I have no idea what it means, folks. I just know my daddy sang it.

Please forgive lacrymose Letty tonight.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:29 pm
Goodnight, my friends. Eyes were made for looking, I think.

Look to see me in the morning.

From Letty with love.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:51 pm
he didn't mention eyes, but jim croce did talk about what tables and bridges were for in this next song

Lover's Cross
Jim Croce

Guess that it was bound to happen
Was just a matter of time
But now I've come to my decision
And it's a-one of the painful kind
'Cause now it seems that you wanted a martyr
Just a regular guy wouldn't do
But baby I can't hang upon no lover's cross for you

You really got to hand it to ya
'Cause girl you really tried
But for every time that we spent laughin'
There were two times that I cried
And you were tryin' to make me your martyr
And that's the one thing I just couldn't do
'Cause baby, I can't hang upon no lover's cross for you

'Cause tables are meant for turnin'
And people are bound to change
And bridges are meant for burnin'
When the people and memories they join aren't the same

Still I hope that you can find another
Who can take what I could not
He'll have to be a super guy
Or maybe a super god
'Cause I never was much of a martyr before
And I ain't bout to start nothin' new
And baby, I can't hang upon no lover's cross for you
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:19 pm
I haven't followed along here enough to know if anyone ever pipes up with not exactly loving some tunes or voices. I pick up that it is a community thing not to make neg comments.

For example, I never liked Jim Croce. Some people I respect liked him a lot. In my case, it was his voice and sounds of songs, and not their content that I wasn't interested in. In fact his voice rubs at the back of my spinal cord.

Is this kind of comment anathema? (feel free to straighten me out..)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:27 pm
I have a recording of Don't Let the Deal Go Down, on an album called Bull Durham Sacks and Railroad Tracks, by Ramblin Jack Elliot.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:29 pm
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere is one of my favorite neil young songs.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:48 am
Good morning WA2K radio fans and contributors.

First, let me say that I am really amazed that our edgar knows the song that my dad used to sing. Can you explain it to me, Texas? Exactly what does the expression, "...don't let the deal go down..." imply?

Good morning, OssoJo. It is not a prerequisite for our listeners and contributors to like all the music that we play here. I like Croce because he is tied to a friend of ours in broadcasting, and I particularly like "I've Got a Name."

Littlek, it is great to see you in our studios, and please feel free to request any song at any time.

I have really learned a lot about music and other languages on our cyber station, and it is due to all the countries represented here.

Folk, I often find myself smiling over the oddest things, and this little funny from bermbits gave me an inside laugh:

How simple things can be!!!!!!!

A man and his wife were sitting in the living room and he said to her:

"Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state dependent on some machine. If that ever happens, just pull the plug."

His wife got up and unplugged the TV.

Speaking of which, please don't bother to watch the remake of The Poseidon Adventure. It is, however, a wonderful sleep agent.

Here's a song that I didn't realize Ray Charles had done:

Alone together, beyond the crowd,
Above the world, we're not too proud
To cling together, We're strong
As long as we're together.

Alone together, the blinding rain
The starless night, were not in vain;
For we're together, and what is there
To fear together.

Our love is as deep as the sea,
Our love is as great as a love can be,
And we can weather the great unknown,
If we're alone together.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:44 am
feel free to comment, our moto, all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

(actually that's the motto of matador records )

the beauty of our station osso, you can enjoy the content without listening to the voice and music Wink
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:03 am
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:04 am
Right, dj. Hey, Where's Mr. Turtle?

And, we might add, listeners, that hebba may also show us stuff without the world taking a peek.

Hey, buddy. A picture is supposed to paint a thousand words.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:10 am
Eleanor Powell
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Eleanor Powell (November 21, 1912 - February 11, 1982) was an American actress and dancer of the 1930s and 1940s, known for her exuberant solo tap dancing.

Eleanor Torrey Powell was born in Springfield, Massachusetts. A dancer since childhood, she was discovered at the age of 11 by the head of the Vaudeville Kiddie revue, Gus Edwards. When she was 17, she brought her graceful, athletic style to Broadway, where she starred in various revues and musicals. During this time, she was dubbed "the world's greatest tap dancer" due to her machine-gun footwork.

In 1935, the leggy, fresh-faced Powell made the move to Hollywood and did a specialty number in George White's 1935 Scandals which she later described as a disaster due in part to her accidentally being made up to look like an Egyptian due to a mix-up prior to filming her scene. The experience left her unimpressed with Hollywood. Nonetheless, she was signed by MGM soon after, which groomed her for her future stardom making minimal changes in her (non-Egyptian) makeup and conduct. She was well-received in Broadway Melody of 1936 (in which she was supported by Jack Benny and Frances Langford), and delighted 1930s audiences with her endless energy and enthusiasm, not to mention her stunning dancing.

Powell would go on to star opposite many of the decade's top leading men such as Jimmy Stewart, Robert Taylor, Fred Astaire, George Murphy, Nelson Eddy, and Robert Young. Films she made during the height of her career in the mid-to-late 1930s co-starred these men and others and included Born to Dance (1936), Rosalie (1937), Broadway Melody of 1938 (1937), Honolulu (1939), and Broadway Melody of 1940 (1940). Most of these movies featured her amazing solo tapping, although her increasingly huge production numbers began to attract criticism. Broadway Melody of 1940, in which Powell starred opposite Fred Astaire, featured a brilliant musical score by Cole Porter. Together, Astaire and Powell danced to Porter's "Begin The Beguine", which is considered by many to have been the greatest tap sequence in film history.

In the 1940s, after being sidelined for many months following a gall stone operation, things changed somewhat for the worse, at least as far as Powell's movie career was concerned. 1941's Lady Be Good gave Powell top billing and a classic dance routine to "Fascinatin' Rhythm", but Robert Young and Ann Sothern carried the movie. The same happened with Red Skelton in Ship Ahoy (1942) and I Dood It (1943). She was signed to play opposite Dan Dailey in For Me and My Gal in 1942, but the two actors were removed from the picture during rehearsals and replaced by Gene Kelly and Judy Garland. Later, production of a new Broadway Melody film that would have paired Powell with Kelly was also cancelled.

She parted ways with MGM in 1943 after Thousands Cheer, in which she did a specialty number, and the same year married Canadian lead actor Glenn Ford. She danced in a giant pinball machine in Sensations of 1945 (1944), but this picture was a large disappointment, and Powell retired from the cinema to concentrate on raising her son, actor Peter Ford, who was born that year.

In 1950, Powell returned to MGM just once, to guest star in The Duchess of Idaho, starring Esther Williams. She divorced Ford in 1959, and that year started a highly-publicized nightclub career, maintaining her good figure and looks well into middle age. In her later years, she became interested in religion, and was actually ordained a minister of the Unity Church. She also hosted an Emmy Award-winning Sunday morning TV program for children entitled The Faith of Our Children (1953 - 1955). Her son, Peter Ford, was a regular on this show.

Powell was reintroduced to audiences in the popular That's Entertainment! documentary in 1974, and its sequels That's Entertainment Part II and That's Entertainment III which spotlighted her dancing from films such as Broadway Melody of 1940, Lady Be Good, and Born to Dance. In more recent years, however, most of Powell's films have lapsed into obscurity, with only Broadway Melody of 1940 currently available on DVD in North America as of 2005, although two of her production numbers from Broadway Melody of 1936 were included as bonus features on the 2002 special edition DVD release of Singin' in the Rain.

Eleanor Powell died of cancer on February 11, 1982 at the age of 69, and was interred in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Hollywood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_Powell
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:12 am
and, folks, Where is Boston Bob? Oops there he is, folks.

Thanks, buddy, for the Voltaire bio. I love his quote:

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:13 am
Marlo Thomas

Marlo Thomas (born Margaret Julia Thomas on November 21, 1937 in Detroit, Michigan) is an American actress, first appearing on the scene as "That Girl" in the 1960s ABC situation comedy. She is the daughter of the late Lebanese-American comedian Danny Thomas and sister of Tony Thomas, a TV and film producer, and Terre Thomas, a former actress. Her mother, Rose Marie Mantell (born Rose Marie Cassaniti) (d. 2000), was of Italian descent.

Thomas grew up in Beverly Hills, California and went by the nickname of Margie Thomas while attending school. After graduating from the University of Southern California with a teaching degree, Thomas appeared as a regular on The Joey Bishop Show (1961-1962). She followed the series with guest shots on Ben Casey, My Favorite Martian, and Bonanza, but it was not until 1966 that she hit her professional stride as wannabe New York actress Ann Marie on the ABC sitcom That Girl. The series ran until 1971, garnering her a Golden Globe Award and four Emmy nominations.

Anxious to show she was as adept at drama as she was at comedy, she proved herself in the television movies It Happened One Christmas (a remake of It's a Wonderful Life, with Thomas in the rewritten James Stewart role), Nobody's Child, and The Lost Honor Of Kathryn Beck, while she starred in Jenny (1970) and Thieves (1977) on the big screen.

She is also known for her children's books and the recordings and television specials created in conjunction with them: Free to Be . . . You and Me (1972) and Free to Be . . . A Family (1987), which were born out of an attempt to teach her then-young niece Dionne about life. She is donating all royalties from her 2004 book and CD, Thanks & Giving All Year Long, to the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. Started by her late father, the organization helps young children suffering from grave forms of disease, especially cancer and leukemia, including many whose parents do not have much money or health insurance.

In recent years, Thomas has appeared in guest shots on Ally McBeal, Friends (as Rachel's mother), and Law & Order: SVU. She also appeared in the 2000 comedy Playing Mona Lisa with Alicia Witt and Harvey Fierstein.

Thomas is the recipient of four Emmy Awards. She has been married to talk show host Phil Donahue since 1980. She has no children, but is step-mother of Donahue's five children from his previous marriage. The couple live in New York, New York, but Marlo will travel to Los Angeles for work or to receive donations to her charity, St. Jude's Hospital. (David Geffen contributed $1,000,000 (USD) by simply writing Marlo a check when she was on location in L.A. filming Friends some years ago.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlo_Thomas
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:15 am
Goldie Hawn

Goldie Jeanne Hawn (born Goldie Jean Studlendgehawn on November 21, 1945 in Washington, D.C.) is a Jewish-American actress who began her career as one of the regular cast members on the 1960s sketch comedy show Laugh-In. Noted equally for her chipper attitude and her bikini and painted body, she personified a 1960s It girl. On the show she would often break out into high-pitched giggles in the middle of a joke, yet in the next moment deliver a very polished performance. Hawn won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her work in the 1969 film Cactus Flower, which co-starred the now-deceased acting legends, Walter Matthau and Ingrid Bergman.

Into the 1970s and 1980s Hawn remained a popular figure in entertainment, appearing in various films (generally comedies), and moving into film production, as well. She gathered great respect as a comedy actress, and was outspoken in her liberal political views. Her career died down a bit until 1992 when she revitalized it opposite Bruce Willis and Meryl Streep in the film Death Becomes Her. She also played an aging actress in the late 1990s film The First Wives Club opposite Bette Midler and Diane Keaton. Through the late 1990s and beyond, she has remained popular (in part thanks to the success of her now adult daughter, actress Kate Hudson, whose father is the musician Bill Hudson). She appeared in The Banger Sisters opposite Susan Sarandon in 2002. Her son Oliver Hudson is also an actor, appearing on the short-lived 2004-2005 (WB) television series The Mountain (television series).

She has been in a relationship with Kurt Russell since 1983, and they have a son together, Wyatt Russell, who is now in Vancouver, British Columbia learning and playing hockey. Hawn became a grandmother on 7 January 2004 when her daughter Kate Hudson gave birth to son Ryder Russell Robinson.

Hawn's father, whose family had been in the U.S. for several hundred years, was a Presbyterian; her mother was the daughter of Jewish immigrants from Hungary and Hawn was raised Jewish. Nowadays, Hawn is a practising Buddhist, but still considers herself Jewish, and has raised her children, including actress Kate Hudson, in both the Jewish and Buddhist beliefs.

Her father, Edward Rutledge Studlendgehawn, was a descendant of Edward Rutledge, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence (United States).

Hawn has proved her singing talent with a cover version of the Beatles' song "A Hard Day's Night" on George Martin's album In My Life (1998) and, along with Diane Keaton and Bette Midler, in covering the Lesley Gore hit "You Don't Own Me" for The First Wives Club in 1996.

She has written an autobiography called A Lotus Grows in the Mud (2005) which Hawn claims is not a Hollywood tell-all, but rather a memoir and record of what she has learned in her life so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldie_Hawn
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:27 am
Let's see, listeners. I do believe that our Bob has completed his bios, so in honor of Voltaire's heart:

FROM LOVE TO FRIENDSHIP

by: Voltaire (François Marie Arouet, 1694-1778)

F YOU would have me love once more,
The blissful age of love restore;
From wine's free joys, and lovers' cares,
Relentless time, who no man spares,
Urges me quickly to retire,
And no more to such bliss aspire.
From such austerity exact,
Let's, if we can, some good extract;
Whose way of thinking with this age
Suits not, can ne'er be deemed a sage.
Let sprightly youth its follies gay,
Its follies amiable display;
Life to two moments is confined,
Let one to wisdom be consigned.
You sweet delusions of my mind,
Still to my ruling passion kind,
Which always brought a sure relief
To life's accurst companion, grief.
Will you forever from me fly,
And must I joyless, friendless die?
No mortal e'er resigns his breath
I see, without a double death;
Who loves, and is beloved no more,
His hapless fate may well deplore;
Life's loss may easily be borne,
Of love bereft man is forlorn.
'Twas thus those pleasures I lamented,
Which I so oft in youth repented;
My soul replete with soft desire,
Vainly regretted youthful fire.
But friendship then, celestial maid,
From heaven descended to my aid;
Less lively than the amorous flame,
Although her tenderness the same.
The charms of friendship I admired,
My soul was with new beauty fired;
I then made one in friendship's train,
But destitute of love, complain.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:34 am
Hold it! Hold it! Am I seeing things or did hebba disappear?

Could be, listeners. Strange things can happen early in the day.

Since I have so much to do today, I'm a bit disoriented.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:39 am
Good Morning WA2K.

Today's birthdays:

1495 - John Bale, English churchman (d. 1563)
1567 - Anne de Xainctonge, French saint (d. 1621)
1692 - Carlo Innocenzio Maria Frugoni, Italian poet (d. 1768)
1694 - Voltaire, French philosopher (d. 1778)
1761 - Dorothy Jordan, British actress and royal mistress (d. 1816)
1768 - Friedrich Daniel Ernst Schleiermacher, German theologian and philosopher (d. 1834)
1787 - Samuel Cunard, Canadian-born shipping magnate (d. 1865)
1835 - Hetty Green, American businesswoman (d. 1916)
1854 - Pope Benedict XV (d. 1922)
1860 - Tom Horn, American hitman (d. 1903)
1870 - Sigfrid Edström, Swedish sports official
1878 - Gustav Radbruch, German law professor (d. 1949)
1898 - René Magritte, Belgian painter (d. 1967)
1902 - Foster Hewitt, Canadian radio pioneer (d. 1985)
1904 - Coleman Hawkins, American saxophonist (d. 1969)
1912 - Eleanor Powell, American actress and dancer (d. 1983)
1913 - Roy Boulting, British film director and producer (d. 2001)
1916 - Sid Luckman, American football player (d. 1998)
1920 - Stan Musial, baseball player
1921 - Joonas Kokkonen, Finnish composer (d. 1996)
1931 - Malcolm Williamson, Australian composer (d. 2003)
1933 - Joseph Campanella, American actor
1936 - Victor Chang, Australian physician
1938 - Marlo Thomas, American actress
1939 - Mulayam Singh Yadav, Indian politician
1940 - Dr. John, American musician
1940 - Richard Marcinko, U.S. Navy SEAL team member and author
1941 - Juliet Mills, British actress
1944 - Marcy Carsey, American television show producer
1944 - Dick Durbin, American politician
1944 - Earl Monroe, American basketball player
1944 - Harold Ramis, American actor, comedian, screenwriter, director, and producer
1945 - Goldie Hawn, American actress
1950 - Alberto Juantorena, Cuban athlete
1962 - Steven Curtis Chapman, American singer
1963 - Nicolette Sheridan, British actress
1964 - Shane Douglas, American professional wrestler
1965 - Björk, Icelandic singer, songwriter, and actress
1965 - Alexander Siddig, British actor
1966 - Troy Aikman, American football star
1969 - Ken Griffey, Jr., American baseball player
1971 - Michael Strahan, American football player
1972 - David Tua, Samoan boxer
1973 - Brooke Kerr, American actress
1976 - Dasha, Czech porn star
1977 - Jonas Jennings, American football player
1980 - Hank Blalock, baseball player
1982 - Ryan Starr, American singer
1984 - Jena Malone, American actress

http://www.the-main-event.de/images/shipahoy_158.jpghttp://www.peoples.ru/art/cinema/actor/hawn/hawn__1.jpg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:41 am
I guess I never realized today was Foster Hewitt's birthday.

I'd better go write that down somewhere.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:57 am
Hey, Raggedy, thanks once again for the updates, PA. I tried to find the song by Barry Manilow that was the theme for one of Goldie's movies, but no luck, folks.

However, this is for Gus and Foster:

Barry Manilow

There are times
You live as if in a dream
Drawn by your heart to a distant door
One that opens
For a moment
To a world that you've never known before

Were you real
Or were you part of a dream
Calling to me from across the floor?
In your sweet voice
There was music
And we danced the bolero de amor

Let the drums carry us away!
They say all there is to say
And all too soon the night becomes the day
And magical - miracle

You are real
And we are living a dream
Sharing a love we have hungered for
Let your passion soar like music
In the spell of bolero de amor

Ensemble:
The drums carried us away
They said all there was to say
And all too soon the night became day
And magical-miracle

There are times
You live as if in a dream
Drawn by your heart to a distant door
Trust your heart and
Take the moment
When you hear
Your bolero de amor
Amor
Amor!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:31 am
Well, listeners, I have put stuff off long enough, so I guess I had better get cracking.

Station Break:

This is cyber space, WA2K radio.
0 Replies