Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:43 am
Here's the site for "banana". Very Happy
http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/poex.htm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:45 am
Thanks, dear Raggedy. You are a wonder.

Well, folks. I guess this banana better split. (groan)

Later, all.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:45 am
HERE IS THE NEWS FROM THE BBC.......

A new publishing venture was announced today. The Stockbreeders Gazette and Playboy magazine are to get together and produce "The Farmer Sutra".

Arnold Bogg, a six foot nine, ham fisted hairy drunk with a short temper, bad breath, acne, dandruff and fleas, was named by Scotland Yard today as Britains most unwanted man.

Fred Smith, the Middlesborough man who doesn't smoke, drink or gamble and has never had a girlfriend, tried to celebrate his fortieth birthday today, but couldn't think how to.

And finally, the public are warned to be on the lookout for Joseph Gomez, a spaniard, last heard of living in Tooting, who's mother was a nun in Barcelona. A one-time flautist with the symphony orchestra, he is wanted for looting in Haifa, where he worked on a farm.
The police urge people to look out for a Haifa looting, fluting, Tooting son of a nun from Barcelona, part-time plowboy, Joe.

Next week, there will be a special report from the "Nursery Land" theme park, regarding the impact of silicone treatments. Among those interviewed will be Not-So-Little Bo Peep, Far-From-Little Miss Muffet and Enormous Jack Horner.

.......and now back to the music.......
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:05 pm
I took my troubles down to Madame Rue
You know that gypsy with the gold-capped tooth
She's got a pad down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
Sellin' little bottles of Love Potion Number Nine

I told her that I was a flop with chics
I've been this way since 1956
She looked at my palm and she made a magic sign
She said "What you need is Love Potion Number Nine"

She bent down and turned around and gave me a wink
She said "I'm gonna make it up right here in the sink"
It smelled like turpentine, it looked like Indian ink
I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink

I didn't know if it was day or night
I started kissin' everything in sight
But when I kissed a cop down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
He broke my little bottle of Love Potion Number Nine
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:24 pm
Part-time ploughboy Joe, gotta love it.

Thanks for the chortles, milord.

You reminded me that Stefan Grossman, accoustic guitar ace, made a record entitled Ragtime Cowboy Jew.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 02:51 pm
I may interrupt and ask you to pay attention for

THIS BIG NEWS!

Chicago, chicago, that toddlin' town
Chicago, chicago, I'll show you around (you'll stay around)
Bet your bottom dollar you lose the blues in
Chicago, chicago, the folks who visit
All wanna settle down. (all wanna settle down in my hometown)

On state street, that great street, I just wanna say,
They do things they don't do on broadway,
You'll have the time, the time of your life
Bring all your friends, all your kids and your wife to
Chicago, chicago my hometown. (hey now baby--)
(oooh baby)
You'll have the time, the time of your life
Bring all your friends, all your kids and your wife to
Chicago, chicago my hometown.
Oh, to chicago, chicago my hometown (yeah)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 03:01 pm
Oh, my word, Ellpus. Fantastic pun, Brit.

Walter, I know that song, and it really swings, incidentally. I thought for the longest that it was "gypsy with the gold tatoo."

McTag, don't know that Grossman feller, but he sounds daring. <smile>

Hey, Walter, somebody altered them lyrics a mite.

Well, folks, got some things done today. Now I'm only one hundred building blocks away.

Thought for the day:

if you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost, that is where they should be… now put the foundations beneath them
-Thoreau
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 06:28 pm
Big Ten Inch Record
Aerosmith

Got me the strangest woman
Believe it, this chick's no sinch
When I wanna get her goin'
Then I whip out my Big Ten Inch

Record of the band that plays the blues
Well the band that plays the blues
She just loved my Big Ten Inch
Record of her favorite blues

Last night I tried to tease her
I gave my love a little pinch
But she said now stop that jivin
now whip out your big ten-inch

I'll cover her with kisses
and when we're in a lover's clinch
she gets all excited
when she puts on my big ten-inch

My gal don't go smokin'
and liquor just makes her flinch
Seems she don't go for nothin'
'cept for my big ten-inch

Band that plays the blues
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 06:46 pm
dj, that is fabulous, Canada. You just made me laugh for the first time in a long while.

eerie, too, as I just got a beautiful picture of the changing of the leaves in Canada.

edgar won't believe this, listeners, but I am listening to a vcr tape of the evolution of Bob Dylan. Fabulous.

Guess who this is, listeners:

http://www.radiancemagazine.com/images/1diva.jpg
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:07 pm
I know and I'll bet Edgar will know, too. Very Happy
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:27 pm
i saw hbg's leaf pic, very nice, the 100km/h winds this weekend took care of all our leaves, trees bare and no raking
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:29 pm
California Dreaming
The Mamas and the Papas

All the leaves are brown - All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray - And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk - I've been for a walk
On a winter's day - On a winter's day
I'd be safe and warm - I'd be safe and warm
If I was in L.A. - If I was in L.A.
California dreaming - California dreaming
On such a winter's day

Stopped into a church
I passed along the way
Well, I got down on my knees - Got down on my knees
And I pretend to pray - I pretend to pray
You know the preacher likes the cold - Preacher likes the cold
He knows I'm gonna stay - Knows I'm gonna stay
On such a winter's day

All the leaves are brown - All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray - And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk - I've been for a walk
On a winter's day - On a winter's day
If I didn't tell her - If I didn't tell her
I could leave today - I could leave today
On such a winter's day - California dreaming
On such a winter's day - California dreaming
On such a winter's day
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:42 pm
Ah, dj. I love California Dreamin'. Thanks buddy.

Speaking of dreamin', listeners, I must say goodnight.

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.

From Letty with love.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:23 pm
Thanks for the pic of Odetta. She actually improves with age.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:47 pm
As I Lay Me Down - Sophie B Hawkins

It felt like spring time on this February morning
In a courtyard birds were singing your praise
I'm still recalling things you said to make me feel alright
I carried them with me today
Now

As I lay me down to sleep
This I pray
That you will hold me dear
Though I'm far away
I'll whisper your name into the sky
And I will wake up happy

I wonder why I feel so high
Though i am not above the sorrow
Heavy hearted
Till you call my name
And it sounds like church bells
Or the whistle of a train
On a summer evening
I'll run to meet you
Barefoot, barely breathing

This I pray
Though I'm far away
And I will wake up happy

Oh, darlin'
This I pray
Though I'm far away
And I will wake up happy

It's not too near for me
Like a flower I need the rain
Though it's not clear to me
Every season has it's change
And I will see you
When the sun comes out again

This I pray
Though I'm far away
And I will wake up happy
(repeat twice)

I wonder why...

when the sun comes out again....
I will wake up happy....
This I pray....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:25 pm
http://www.hollywoodcultmovies.com/assets/images/AlainDelon1.jpg

wow, Alain Delon turned 70 years old today, and he's
still a heart throb and looks great

http://k.domaindlx.com/geli/delon.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:30 pm
Here is the lyrics to a song he and Dalida sang together "Parole"

A.Delon:
C'est étrange,
je n'sais pas ce qui m'arrive ce soir,
Je te regarde comme pour la première fois.
Dalida:
Encore des mots toujours des mots
les mêmes mots
Je n'sais plus comment te dire,
Rien que des mots
Mais tu es cette belle histoire d'amour...
que je ne cesserai jamais de lire.
Des mots faciles des mots fragiles
C'était trop beau
Tu es d'hier et de demain
Bien trop beau
De toujours ma seule vérité.
Mais c'est fini le temps des rêves
Les souvenirs se fanent aussi
quand on les oublie
Tu es comme le vent qui fait chanter les violons
et emporte au loin le parfum des roses.
Caramels, bonbons et chocolats
Par moments, je ne te comprends pas.
Merci, pas pour moi
Mais tu peux bien les offrir à une autre
qui aime le vent et le parfum des roses
Moi, les mots tendres enrobés de douceur
se posent sur ma bouche mais jamais sur mon cœur
Une parole encore.
Parole, parole, parole
Ecoute-moi.
Parole, parole, parole
Je t'en prie.
Parole, parole, parole
Je te jure.
Parole, parole, parole, parole, parole
encore des paroles que tu sèmes au vent
Voilà mon destin te parler....
te parler comme la première fois.
Encore des mots toujours des mots
les mêmes mots

Comme j'aimerais que tu me comprennes.
Rien que des mots
Que tu m'écoutes au moins une fois.
Des mots magiques des mots tactiques
qui sonnent faux
Tu es mon rêve défendu.
Oui, tellement faux
Mon seul tourment et mon unique espérance.
Rien ne t'arrête quand tu commences
Si tu savais comme j'ai envie
d'un peu de silence
Tu es pour moi la seule musique...
qui fit danser les étoiles sur les dunes
Caramels, bonbons et chocolats
Si tu n'existais pas déjà je t'inventerais.
Merci, pas pour moi
Mais tu peux bien les offrir à une autre
qui aime les étoiles sur les dunes
Moi, les mots tendres enrobés de douceur
se posent sur ma bouche mais jamais sur mon cœur
Encore un mot juste une parole
Parole, parole, parole
Ecoute-moi.
Parole, parole, parole
Je t'en prie.
Parole, parole, parole
Je te jure.
Que tu es belle !
Parole, parole, parole
Que tu est belle !
Parole, parole, parole
Que tu es belle !
Parole, parole, parole
Que tu es belle !
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:42 am
Henry Wharton
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Henry Wharton (November 9, 1664 - March 5, 1695), English writer, was descended from Thomas, 2nd Baron Wharton (1520-1572), being a son of the Rev. Edmund Wharton, vicar of Worstead, Norfolk.

Born at Worstead, Wharton was educated by his father, and then at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. Both his industry and his talents were exceptional, and his university career was brilliant. In 1686 he entered the service of the ecclesiastical historian, the Rev. William Cave (1637-1713), whom he helped in his literary work; but considering that his assistance was not sufficiently appreciated he soon forsook this employment.

In 1687 he was ordained deacon, and in 1688 he made the acquaintance of the archbishop of Canterbury, William Sancroft, under whose generous patronage some of his literary work was done. The archbishop, who had a very high opinion of Wharton's character and talents, made him one of his chaplains, and presented him to the Kentish living of Sundridge, and afterwards to that of Chartham in the same county.

In 1689 he took the oath of allegiance to William and Mary, but he wrote a severe criticism of bishop Burnet's History of the Reformation, and it was partly owing to the bishop's hostility that he did not obtain further preferment in the English church. He died on the 5th of March 1695, and was buried in Westminster Abbey.

Wharton's most valuable work is his Anglia sacra, a collection of the lives of English archbishops and bishops, which was published in two volumes in 1691. Some of these were written by Wharton himself; others were borrowed from early writers. His other writings include, in addition to his criticism of the History of the Reformation, A treatise of the celibacy of the clergy (1688); The enthusiasm of the Church of Rome demonstrated in some observations upon the life of Ignatius Loyola (1688) ; and A defence of pluralities (1692, new ed. 1703).

In the Lambeth Library there are sixteen volumes of Wharton's manuscripts. Describing him as "this wonderful man," Stubbs says that Wharton did for the elucidation of English Church history "more than any one before or since." A life of Wharton is included in George D'Oyly's Life of W. Sancroft (1821).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Wharton
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:49 am
Ivan Turgenev

Ivan Sergeyevich Turgenev (Russian: Ива́н Серге́евич Турге́нев, November 9, 1818, Orel, Russia - September 3, 1883, Bougival, near Paris, France ) was a major Russian novelist and playwright. His novel Fathers and Sons is regarded as a defining work of 19th-century fiction.

Life

Turgenev was born into an old and wealthy family at Orel, Russia, in the province of the same name, on October 28, 1818. His father Sergei Nikolaevich Turgenev, the colonel of a cavalry regiment, died when he was sixteen, leaving Turgenev and his brother Nicholas to be brought up under the care of their abusive mother, Varvara Petrovna Lutovinova, who owned large estates and many serfs. After the normal schooling for a child of a gentleman's family, Turgenev studied for a year at the University of Moscow, then the University of St Petersburg focusing on the classics, Russian literature and philology. He was finally sent in 1838 to the University of Berlin to study philosophy (mostly Hegel) and history. Turgenev was impressed with the more modern society he witnessed in Western Europe, and went back home a "Westernizer", as opposed to a "Slavophile", who believed that Russia could improve itself by imitating the West and abolishing outdated institutions such as serfdom.

A family serf read to him verses from the Rossiad of Kheraskov, a celebrated poet of the eighteenth century. Turgenev's early attempts in literature, poems and sketches, had indications of genius and were favorably spoken of by Belinsky, then the leading Russian critic. During the latter part of his life, Turgenev did not reside much in Russia; he lived either at Baden-Baden or Paris, often in proximity to the family of the celebrated singer Pauline Viardot-Garcia, who he had a life-long affair with. Turgenev never married, although he had a daughter with one of his family's serfs. Tall and broad, Turgenev's personality was timid, restrained and soft-spoken. His closest literary friend was Gustave Flaubert. Turgenev occasionally visited England, and in 1879 the degree of D.C.L. was conferred upon him by the University of Oxford. He died at Bougival, near Paris, on the 4th of September 1883.

Career

Turgenev made his name with A Sportsman's Sketches (Записки охотника), also known as Sketches From a Hunter's Album or Notes of a Hunter. Based on the author's own observations while sport hunting birds and hares in his mother's estate of Spasskoye, the work appeared in a collected form in 1852. In 1852, between Turgenev's Sketches and his first important novels, he wrote his now notorious obtiuary to his idol Gogol in the St. Petersburg Gazette. The key passage reads: 'Gogol is dead!...what Russian heart is not shaken by those three words?...He is gone, that man whom we now have the right, the bitter right given to us by death, to call great.' The censor of St. Petersburg did not approve of this idolotry and banned its publication, but Turgenev managed to fool the Moscow censor into printing it. These underhanded tactics landed the young writer in prison for a month, and he was forced into exile at his estate for nearly two years.

His next work was A Nest of Nobles (Дворянское гнездо)in 1859, and was followed the next year by On the Eve (Накануне), a tale which contains one of his most beautiful female characters, Helen. 'On the Eve'(of reform), with Turgenev's portrayal of Bulgarian Revolutionary Dmitri, would have been very exciting politically to many contemporaneous readers. In 1862 Fathers and Sons (Отцы и дети)was published, an admirably-structured novel in which the author famously described the revolutionary doctrines then beginning to spread in Russia. His lead character Basarov is heralded by many as one of the finest characters of the 19th Century novel. 19th Century Russian critics did not take to "Fathers and Sons." The stinging criticism, especially from younger radicals,disappointed Turgenev and he wrote very little in the years following Fathers and Sons.

Turgenev's later novels, with their antiquated language and stilted situations, are considered inferior to his earlier efforts. Smoke (Дым) was published in 1867 and his last work of any length, Virgin Soil (Новь), was published in 1877. Aside from his longer stories, many shorter ones were produced, some of great beauty and full of subtle psychological analysis, such as Torrents of Spring (Вешние воды), First Love, Asya and others. These were later collected into three volumes. His last works were Poetry in Prose and Clara Milich, which appeared in the European Messenger. Turgenev is considered one of the great Victorian novelists, ranked with Thackeray, Hawthorne, and Henry James. A melancholy tone pervades his writings, a morbid self-analysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Turgenev
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:55 am
Marie Dressler

Marie Dressler (born November 9, 1868; died July 28, 1934) was a Canadian actress.

Born Leila Marie Koerber in Cobourg, Ontario to parents Alexander Rudolph Koerber (who was Austrian) and Anna Henderson, she became a leading comedienne during the silent film era. At the age of 14, she began her acting career in theatre, and in 1892 she made her debut on Broadway. At first she hoped to make a career of singing light Opera, but then gravitated to Vaudeville.

During the early 1900s, she became a major vaudeville star. In 1902, she met fellow Canadian, Mack Sennett, and helped him get a job in the theater. In addition to her stage work, Dressler recorded for Edison Records in 1909 and 1910. After Sennett became the owner of his namesake motion picture studio, he convinced Dressler to star in his 1914 film Tillie's Punctured Romance opposite Sennett's newly discovered actor, Charlie Chaplin. Dressler appeared in two more "Tillie" sequels plus other comedies until 1918 when she returned to work in vaudeville.

In 1919, during the Actors' Equity strike in New York city, the Chorus Equity Association was formed and voted Dressler its first president.

In 1927, she had been secretly blacklisted by the theater production companies due to her strong stance in a labor dispute. It would turn out to be another Canadian who gave her the opportunity to return to motion pictures, MGM studio boss Louis B. Mayer who called her "the most adored person ever to set foot in the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studio."

A robust woman of very plain features, Marie Dressler's comedy films were very popular with the movie-going public and an equally lucrative investment for MGM. Although past sixty years of age, she quickly became Hollywood's number one box office attraction and stayed on top for four straight years. In addition to her comedic genius, she also demonstrated her considerable talents by taking on serious roles. For her starring portrayal in Min and Bill she won the 1931 Academy Award for Best Actress. Dressler was nominated again for Best Actress for her 1932 role as Emma. With that film, Dressler demonstrated her profound generosity to other performers: Dressler personally insisted that her studio bosses cast a friend of hers and then largely unknown young actor, Richard Cromwell, in the lead opposite her. It was a break that helped launch his career.

Dressler followed these successes with more hits in 1933 and made the cover of the August 7, 1933 issue of Time magazine. However, her career came to an abrupt end when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. In all, Marie Dressler appeared in more than 40 films. Always seeing herself as physically unattractive, she wrote an autobiography, The Life Story of an Ugly Duckling.

Marie Dressler died in Santa Barbara, California and was interred in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California.

She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1731 Vine Street.. Each year the Marie Dressler Film Festival is held in her home town of Cobourg, Ontario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Dressler
0 Replies