WA2K Radio is now on the air

McTag

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:31 am
Loretta Swit, the nursing officer in "Mash", married a guy named Holihan?

That made me laugh.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:32 am
I'm in the mood for some Sunday afternoon at the movies music.

Hope Mr. dj will be able to play my request ...

Beautiful music
Dangerous rhythm

It's something daring, the Continental
A way of dancing that's really ultra-new
It's very subtle, the Continental
Because it does what you want it to do

It has a passion, the Continental
An invitation to moonlight and romance
It's quite the fashion, the Continental
Because you tell of your love while you dance

You kiss while you're dancing
It's continental, ooh, it's continental
You sing while you're dancing
Your voice is gentle and so sentimental

You'll know before the dance is through
That you're in love with her and she's in love with you
You'll find while you're dancin'
That there's a rhythm in your heart and soul
A certain rhythm that you can't control
And you will do the Continental all the time

<brief instrumental>

You'll find while you're dancin'
That there's a rhythm in your heart and soul
A certain rhythm that you can't control
And you will do the Continental all the time

Beautiful music
Dangerous rhythm

The Continental
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:39 am
Appropriate to these nights in Paris...

(I was hoping) Could you be my inspiration?
Whatever should become in the candlelight.
(I was dreaming) Was it my imagination?
Tomorrow never comes in the candlelight.

[ Chorus 1 ]

When the night's on fire,
Do you need love's arms to hold you?
It's a flame, there burns no finer.
When you see one bird,
There's another one watching over.
And the two can fly much higher.

I was listening to the wind that walks the hours.
I never would have heard, in the candlelight.
I was hoping, would you shelter me from showers?
I believe every word in the candlelight.

[ Repeat Chorus 1 ]

[ Chorus 2 ]

When the night's on
Fire and you burn
Like a flame that's burning in the rain,
Do you need somewhere to turn?
When you see one bird,
It's the two that fly higher
And a second in heaven's worth a whole life's
Trouble and trial.
Trouble and trial.

[ Repeat Chorus 2 ]

When's the night's on fire
Do you need love's arms to hold you? (When the night's on fire)
When you see one bird fly,
There's another one watching over. (When the night's on fire)
When the night's on fire.
It's a flame, there burns no finer. (When the night's on fire)
When you see one bird fly,
It's the two that fly much higher. (When the night's on fire)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:41 am
On the subject of humour/humor, this was sent me by a friend in Pennsylvania:

It doesn't hurt to take a hard look at yourself from time to time, and this should help get you started.

During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director what the criterion was which defined whether or not a patient should be institutionalized.

"Well," said the Director, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty the bathtub."

"Oh, I understand," said the visitor. "A normal person would use the bucket because it's bigger than the spoon or the teacup."

"No." said the Director, "A normal person would pull the plug."

Do you want a room with or without a view?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:45 am
A normal person gets his Valet to pull the plug.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 11:55 am
I don't know at all how to empty a bathtub: as pater familias, I have the right to use it as the first person, all the others come later, and yes, might be the housemaid as the last one in the row pulls the plug.

Actually no big problem, bathing days don't happen so often nowadays due to high energy and water prices.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 12:17 pm
Ah, good to see our European friends back again.

Thank you, Lord Ellpus. What a beautiful message.

dys, Yes, "....the first days are the hardest days...."

Ah, Francis. I love that song. Although I have never heard the melody, the words are inspiring.<smile>

My word, listeners, speaking of smile:

Mike Love Suing Cousin Brian Wilson
By TIM MOLLOY, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
LOS ANGELES - Mike Love is suing his cousin and former Beach Boys bandmate Brian Wilson, but Love's lawyer hopes the lawsuit won't mar their good vibrations.
Love filed the lawsuit in federal court Thursday accusing Wilson of promoting his 2004 album, "Smile," in a manner that "shamelessly misappropriated Mike Love's songs, likeness and the Beach Boys trademark, as well as the `Smile' album itself."
Love's lawyer says it's nothing personal

Nothing personal?

Transcribed by Robin Hood.

McTag, funny, with or without valet.

ehBeth, wonderful melody that continental. Thanks, Toronto.

Back later with more music, listeners.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 12:31 pm
This is not me today, listeners, but my mom loved Nat, sooooo

Words by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons and Music by Charlie Chaplin

Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

Good grief. Robin Hood and Charlie Chaplin. Smile
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:24 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I don't know at all how to empty a bathtub: as pater familias, I have the right to use it as the first person, all the others come later, and yes, might be the housemaid as the last one in the row pulls the plug.

Actually no big problem, bathing days don't happen so often nowadays due to high energy and water prices.

Walter, I'm curious .... are they planning on installing indoor plumbing for you anytime soon?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:30 pm
No idea, tico: I just want to have my two bathings/year.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:47 pm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 06:07 pm
Oh my Gawd, Yit. You are unbelievable. Thanks for that iconoclastic song. Razz

Since Francis's song is a song of the night, I will use that for my goodnight song.

From Letty with Love.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 06:17 pm
:)Yitwail:) I hadn't thought of that song in years! That's a blast from the past. Thannks for posting
the words.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 06:40 pm
glad somebody liked it, linda (and perhaps our PD :wink: .) as for me, i long ago forswore football--watching games took up too much of my time--but i guess a gridiron song now & then won't revive my addiction.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:26 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:30 am
Joel McCrea
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Joel Albert McCrea, (November 5, 1905 - October 20, 1990) was an American film actor.

Born in South Pasadena, California, McCrea became interested in films after graduating from the Pomona College. He worked as an extra in films from 1927 before being cast in a major role in The Jazz Age (1929). A contract with MGM followed, and then another contract with RKO. He established himself as a handsome leading man who was considered versatile enough to star in both drama and comedy. In the early 1940s he reached the peak of this stage of his career in such films as Alfred Hitchcock's Foreign Correspondent (1940), Preston Sturges' Sullivan's Travels (1941) and The Palm Beach Story (1942).

From the mid 1940s he appeared predominantly in westerns and became one of the most highly regarded actors of this genre. He costarred with fellow veteran western star Randolph Scott in Ride the High Country (1962) but only appeared in a few more films after this, as he preferred to live the remainder of his life as a rancher. In 1969, he was inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. For his contribution to the motion picture industry, Joel McCrea has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6901 Hollywood Blvd. and another star at 6241 Hollywood Blvd. for his contribution to radio.

He was married to the actress Frances Dee from 1933 until his death in Woodland Hills, California from pneumonia at the age of 84 in 1990. According to David Raban's Stars of the '30s, The McCreas were prodigious savers, accumulating an estate to the tune of $50,000,000 USD at the time McCrea's passing. This was probably in part due to McCrea's Scottish heritage (meaning he was frugal) and due to his friendship in the 1930s with fellow sometime actor, Will Rogers. McCrea recounted that "the Oklahoma Sage" gave him a profound piece of advice: "Save half of what you make, and live on just the other half."

During his lifetime, McCrea and his wife, Frances, lived, raised their children, and rode their horses on their ranch in what was then an unincorporated area of Eastern Ventura County, California. The McCreas ultimately donated several hundred acres of their personal property to the newly formed Conejo Valley YMCA for the City of Thousand Oaks, California (which both celebrated their respective 40th anniversaries in 2004). Today, the land on which the Conejo Valley YMCA rests is called "Joel McCrea Park".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_McCrea
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:40 am
Roy Rogers

Leonard Franklin Slye (November 5, 1911 - July 6, 1998), became famous as Roy Rogers, a singer and cowboy actor. He and his second wife Dale Evans, his "golden palomino" Trigger and his German shepherd "Bullet" were featured in over one hundred movies and The Roy Rogers Show which ran on radio for nine years before moving to television from 1951 through 1964. His productions usually featured two sidekicks, Pat Brady (who drove a jeep called "Nellybelle") and the crotchety bushwhacker Gabby Hayes. Roy's nickname was "King of the Cowboys". Dale's nickname was "Queen of the West." For many Americans (and non-Americans), he was the embodiment of the all-American hero.

Rogers was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, where his family lived on a house boat docked on the Ohio River. They later moved the houseboat up the river to Portsmouth, Ohio. The house boat was destroyed in the flood of 1913 and the Slye family moved to Lucasville just north of Portsmouth where Leonard spent his boyhood.

Rogers moved to California at eighteen to become a singer. After four years of little success, he formed Sons of the Pioneers, a western cowboy music group, in 1934. The group hit it big with songs like "Cool Water" and "Tumbling Tumbleweeds."

From his first film appearance in 1935, Rogers worked steadily in western films. In 1938 when Gene Autry walked out on his movie contract, Roy was given the lead in "Under Western Stars" and a star was born. Roy became a major box office attraction. In 1945, Dale Evans was cast in a movie with Roy. In 1946, after Roy's wife, Arline, died in childbirth, Roy and Dale married. They were together everafter.

Rogers was an idol for many children through his films and television show. Most of his films were in color in an era when almost all other B-movies were black and white. There were Roy Rogers action figures, cowboy adventure novels, a comic strip, and a variety of marketing successes.

The Sons of the Pioneers continued their popularity through the 1950s. Although Rogers was no longer a member, they often appeared as Rogers' backup group in films and on TV.

Rogers and his first wife, Arline (Wilkins) had three children: an adopted daughter, Cheryl, and two birth children, Linda Lou and Roy Jr. Arline died of an embolism while giving birth to Roy Jr. in 1946. Dale and Roy had a daughter, Robin Elizabeth, who died of complications of Down Syndrome at age two. Evans wrote about losing their daughter in her book Angel Unawares.

Rogers and Evans were also well known as advocates for adoption and as founders and operators of children's charities. They adopted several children. Both were outspoken Christians. In Apple Valley, California, where they made their home, numerous streets and highways as well as civic buildings have been named after them in recognition of their efforts on behalf of homeless and handicapped children.

Roy and Dale's theme song, which Dale wrote and they sang as a duet to signoff their television show, was "Happy trails to you, Until we meet again...."

For his contribution to the motion picture industry, Roy Rogers has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1752 Vine Street, a second star at 1733 Vine Street for his contribution to radio, and a third star at 1620 Vine Street for his contribution to the television industry.

Roy and Dale were inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in 1976 and Roy was inducted again as a member of the Sons of the Pioneers in 1995. Roy was also twice elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame, first as a member of The Sons of the Pioneers in 1980 and as a soloist in 1988.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Rogers

Tumbling TumbleweedsPerry Como ~ Mr. Saturday Night!

See them tumbling down,
Pledging their love to the ground!
Lonely, but free, I'll be found,
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds . . .

Cares of the past are behind,
Nowhere to go, but I'll find,
Just where the trail will wind,
Drifting along with the tumblin' tumbleweeds . . .

I know when night is gone,
That a new world's born at dawn!
I'll keep rolling along,
Deep in my heart as a song,
Here on the range I belong,
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds . . .

( Tumbleweeds, tumbleweeds!
See them tumbling down,
Pledging their love to the ground! )
Lonely, but free, I'll be found,

I know ( I Know! ) when night is gone ( hmmm . . . )
That a new world's born at dawn!
I'll keep rolling along,
Deep in my heart as a song,
Here on the range I belong,
( Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds . . . )
( Tumbleweeds, tumbleweeds . . . )
Tumble . . . weeds . . .

Words and Music
by Bob Nolan, 1934
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:43 am
Vivien Leigh

Vivien Leigh (November 5, 1913 - July 7, 1967) was an English actress who was born Vivian Mary Hartley in Darjeeling, India to Ernest Hartley (who was of English parentage) and Gertrude Robinson Yackje (of Irish descent). She and her parents later moved to England, where young Leigh grew up. She attended the Convent of the Sacred Heart in Roehampton, England, along with fellow actress-to-be Maureen O'Sullivan. She then went on to graduate from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.

She was married in 1932 to Herbert Leigh Holman, and they had a daughter, Suzanne, in 1933.

Leigh's career began on the stage. Her first play was The Green Sash, though it was Mask of Virtue that really brought her to stardom. In 1935, she began her film career with such movies as The Village Squire, Things Are Looking Up, and Look Up and Laugh.

In 1937, Leigh starred in four films: Fire Over England, 21 Days opposite future husband Laurence Olivier (which was shelved until 1940), Dark Journey and Storm in a Teacup, opposite Rex Harrison. In 1938 Vivien gave two of the best performances of her movie career: the flirtatious Elza in A Yank at Oxford and the marvelous and ambitious street performer Libby in St. Martin's Lane, which co-starred Charles Laughton. Leigh is better known for her role as Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind (1939), for which she won her first Academy Award for Best Actress. The film's producers went through an exhaustive talent search to fill the much-coveted role; actresses competing for the role opposite Clark Gable included Jean Arthur, Lucille Ball, Tallulah Bankhead, Joan Bennett, Claudette Colbert, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Paulette Goddard, Jean Harlow, Olivia de Havilland, Susan Hayward, Katharine Hepburn, Carole Lombard, Norma Shearer, Barbara Stanwyck, and Margaret Sullavan. Producer David O. Selznick had secretly selected Leigh for the role after seeing her in the MGM film A Yank at Oxford, but told no one until late 1938, when filming began.

In 1940, Leigh arranged for a divorce from Holman and married Olivier, with whom she had been having a highly publicized relationship for years. At the time, both were married, Olivier to actress Jill Esmond, who was pregnant when the affair began.

In 1944, Leigh was diagnosed as having a tuberculosis patch on her left lung. Though she continued her career with such plays as Thornton Wilder's The Skin of Our Teeth, the 1945 film Caesar and Cleopatra, and the 1948 epic film Anna Karenina, her illness was getting worse. In 1952, however, Leigh won a second Academy Award for her portrayal the previous year of Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire.

By the early 1960s Leigh had suffered two miscarriages, and the severity of the tuberculosis was incapacitating. She had also been plagued by manic-depression for some time, which was believed to be a factor in the failure to cure her ailment. She received shock therapy in London for the depression. In 1960, she and Olivier divorced on supposedly friendly terms, despite the reported volatility in their marriage, and Leigh insisted on keeping the title Lady Olivier until her death. Leigh continued to keep a framed photograph of him on her bedside table, even while living with her companion, actor Jack Merivale.

The actress died of chronic tuberculosis in her London home at the age of 53, survived by her daughter, grandchildren, and her own mother, Gertrude Hartley, a devout Roman Catholic who had to settle for a Requiem Mass rather than a Mass of Christian Burial.

Leigh was cremated, and her ashes were scattered on the lake at Tickerage Mill pond, near Blackboys, Sussex, London.

Leigh has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6773 Hollywood Blvd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivien_Leigh
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:50 am
Art Garfunkel

Arthur Ira "Art" Garfunkel is an American singer and actor, best known as half of the folk duo Simon and Garfunkel.

Garfunkel was born on November 5, 1941 in Forest Hills, New York, a section of Queens, in New York City.

He met his future singing partner, Paul Simon in the sixth grade. Between 1956 and 1960, the two had performed together as Tom & Jerry. Garfunkel attended Columbia University in the early sixties, where he sang with the Kingsmen, an all-male a cappella group.

In 1963 they reformed the duo under their own names. The combination of Garfunkel's sweet and melodic voice with Simon's song-writing capacities caused the duo to be among the top acts of the 1960s. However, citing personal differences and divergence in career interests, they split following the release of their most critically acclaimed album, Bridge Over Troubled Water, in 1970.

In the 1970s, Garfunkel released a few solo albums, and although he did not reach the heights that Simon and Garfunkel had reached, he still scored hits with "I Only Have Eyes For You" and "Bright Eyes" (both British #1 hit singles), and "All I Know" (#9 in the United States). A version of "Bright Eyes" also appeared in the movie Watership Down.

In between, he also acted in a few movies, including Catch-22 and Carnal Knowledge (1971) with Jack Nicholson, Candice Bergen, and Ann-Margret.

Following disappointing sales of his 1981 album Scissors Cut, Garfunkel reunited with Paul Simon for the famous concert in Central Park. They next worked on a new studio album together, but Garfunkel left the project, not agreeing with Simon's lyrics. After this, Garfunkel left the music scene for several years, but returned in 1988 with the album Lefty. None of these projects garnered much critical success, and Garfunkel did not release another album until 1993's Up 'til Now. Perhaps his most noteworthy recent release is his live 1996 concert Across America, recorded live at the registry hall on Ellis Island. The concert features several musical guests, including James Taylor, Garfunkel's wife, Kim, and his son James.

In 2003, he reunited again with Paul Simon for an U.S. tour, followed by a 2004 international tour.

Garfunkel made news in early 2004 when he was arrested for possession of marijuana.

The only new recording on the collection The Art Garfunkel album (1984), was the song "Sometimes when I'm Dreaming", written by Mike Batt and this was rerecorded in 2004 by ex ABBA singer Agnetha Fältskog on her comeback album "My Colouring Book".

Art Garfunkel's website (http://www.artgarfunkel.com/library/library.htm) contains a year by year listing of every book he has read since 1968.

In August 2005, Garfunkel was hit with his second marijuana charge after a police trooper found a marijuana cigarette in his ashtray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Garfunkel

Bridge Over Troubled Water :: Art Garfunkel

When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I'll dry them all
I'm on your side
Oh, when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
I will lay me down

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I'll comfort you
I'll take your part
Oh, when darkness comes
And pain is all around
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubles water
I will lay me down

Sail on, silver girl
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All of your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
Oh, if you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
I will ease your mind
I will ease your mind
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:59 am
Elke Sommer

Actor : Born November 05, 1940 - Berlin, Germany

From All Movie Guide: Blonde German-born actress Elke Sommer was the daughter of a Lutheran minister who died when she was 14. At 17, Sommer was working as a nursemaid in London, an "au pair" situation that enabled her to learn English. She attended college in Germany planning to be a diplomatic translator, but was sidetracked into a modeling career, which led to her German movie debut in Das Totenschiff (1959). While on tour in Italy, Sommer caught the eye of a producer who gave her an important role in Femmine di Lusso (1959) -- and, in the process, Sommer was able to master yet another language. Along with several other European actresses, Sommer received her first international break in The Victors (1963); the fact that she shot her scenes twice -- once in the nude -- was good for plenty of press coverage in the U.S. She followed this film by appearing opposite Paul Newman in The Prize (1963) and Peter Seller in A Shot in the Dark (1964). During this period, Sommer met her future husband, writer Joe Hyams, while he was interviewing her for a magazine article. Her subsequent film career had as many valleys as hills, but Sommer remained popular on the international show business scene -- especially TV talk shows, thanks to her fluency in seven languages. Elke Sommer's latest appearances included a guest shot in the American TV series St. Elsewhere and a supporting part in the 1992 film Severed Ties. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=66862&mod=bio
0 Replies