WA2K Radio is now on the air

yitwail

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:39 pm
nope, lets keep our fingers crossed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:00 pm
I am sure letty wants us to keep the music going.

I Believe in You - Dylan

They ask me how I feel
And if my love is real
And how I know I'll make it through.
And they, they look at me and frown,
They'd like to drive me from this town,
They don't want me around
'Cause I believe in you.

They show me to the door,
They say don't come back no more
'Cause I don't be like they'd like me to,
And I walk out on my own
A thousand miles from home
But I don't feel alone
'Cause I believe in you.

I believe in you even through the tears and the laughter,
I believe in you even though we be apart.
I believe in you even on the morning after.
Oh, when the dawn is nearing
Oh, when the night is disappearing
Oh, this feeling is still here in my heart.

Don't let me drift too far,
Keep me where you are
Where I will always be renewed.
And that which you've given me today
Is worth more than I could pay
And no matter what they say
I believe in you.

I believe in you when winter turn to summer,
I believe in you when white turn to black,
I believe in you even though I be outnumbered.
Oh, though the earth may shake me
Oh, though my friends forsake me
Oh, even that couldn't make me go back.

Don't let me change my heart,
Keep me set apart
From all the plans they do pursue.
And I, I don't mind the pain
Don't mind the driving rain
I know I will sustain
'Cause I believe in you.

Copyright © 1979 Special Rider Music
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:40 pm
I'll Take You Home
The Drifters
Written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil

Everybody knows you came with him but another girl caught his eye-ee-eye (I'll take you home)
Now you're sitting there all alone watching them dance by (I'll take you home)
And I know you're wondering what you'll do if he doesn't come back to you
But, don't worry, I'll take you home so, little girl, don't you be blue

Now I know that you wore that pretty red dress just for him to see (I'll take you home)
Mm-mm-yeah
But I wanna tell ya that red dress looks good to me (I'll take you home)
Whoa, I know you feel like you wanna die but try pretending that I'm your guy
And don't worry, I'll take you home so, little girl, now don't you cry

I'll take you home when the dance is over
I'll take you home, just wait and see
You're gonna dance the last dance with me

Let me tell you now

I know the way that you feel, I can understand (I'll take you home)
Mm-mm-mm
'cause I had a date just like you when the dance began (I'll take you home)
But the girl I came with just wasn't true, she's the girl who took him from you
So you see now, I'll take you home 'cause little girl, I'm lonely, too

Ohhhhhhh, let me tell you now

I know the way that you feel, I can understand (I'll take you home)
Mm-mm-mm
'cause I had a date just like you when the dance began (I'll take you home)
But the girl I came with just wasn't true, she's the girl who took him from you
So you see now, I'll take you home 'cause, little girl, I'm lonely, too
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 12:28 am
Dirty Old Town
By Ewan McColl
I met my love by the gas works wall
Dreamed a dream by the old canal
Kissed a girl by the factory wall
Dirty old town
Dirty old town

Clouds a drifting across the moon
Cats a prowling on their beat
Spring's a girl in the street at night
Dirty old town
Dirty old town

Heard a siren from the docks
Saw a train set the night on fire
Smelled the spring on the smoky wind
Dirty old town
Dirty old town

I'm going to make me a good sharp axe
Shining steel tempered in the fire
Will chop you down like an old dead tree
Dirty old town
Dirty old town

I met my love by the gas works wall
Dreamed a dream by the old canal
Kissed a girl by the factory wall
Dirty old town
Dirty old town
Dirty old town
Dirty old town

Interesting article in today's 'Independent': Salford tries to shake off its image of a 'dirty old town'

(Only 'insiders' - like McTag and me :wink: - know, when you pass where the city borders between Salford and Manchester, btw.)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:47 am
The Big Bopper
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jiles Perry (J.P.) Richardson, Jr. (October 24, 1930 - February 3, 1959), called Jape by friends but commonly known as The Big Bopper, was a disc jockey who parlayed a big voice and exuberant personality into a career as an early rock and roll star. He is best known for his hit song "Chantilly Lace".

He was born in Sabine Pass, Texas, the oldest son of Jiles Perry, Sr. and Elise (Stalsby) Richardson. His father was an oil field worker and driller. He had two younger brothers, Cecil and James. Within a short time the family moved to Beaumont, Texas. He graduated from Beaumont High School in 1947 and was a member of the "Royal Purple" football team, wearing number "85" as a defensive lineman.

Richardson later studied law at Lamar College, and was a member of the band and chorus. During this time he worked part time at KTRM radio. On April 18, 1952, Richardson married Adrianne Joy Fryou from Montegut, Louisiana, and by 1955 he had joined the United States Army, where he spent two years as a radar instructor at Fort Bliss. Upon his discharge, he began working at KTRM radio, where he held down the "Dishwashers' Serenade" shift from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

One of the sponsors wanted Richardson for a new time slot and suggested a gimmick for the show. Richardson noticed all the college kids doing a dance called The Bop, so he decided to become known as "The Big Bopper". He kicked off a new radio show from 3 to 6 p.m., and soon The Big Bopper became the station's program director.

In May of 1957, Jape Richardson broke the record for continuous on-the-air broadcasting by eight minutes. He went a total of five days, two hours and eight minutes, playing 1,821 records and taking showers during five-minute newscasts. During the marathon, he lost 35 pounds (16 kg). KTRM paid Richardson $746.50 for his overtime and he quickly hit the sack for 20 hours.

Around this time, Richardson -- who played guitar-- started writing more songs. George Jones later recorded Richardson's "White Lightning", which became his first #1 country hit in 1959 (#73 on the pop charts). Richardson also wrote "Running Bear" for his friend from Port Arthur, Texas, Johnny Preston. Inspiration for the song came from Richardson's childhood memory of the Sabine river, where he heard stories about Indian tribes. Jape sang background on "Running Bear", but it wasn't released until September 1959, after his death. Within several months it went to #1.

The man who launched Richardson as a recording artist was Harold "Pappy" Dailey from Houston. Dailey was promotion director for Mercury and Starday records and signed Richardson to Mercury. Richardson's first single "Beggar To A King" had a country flavor, but failed to gain any chart action. He soon cut "Chantilly Lace" as "The Big Bopper" for Pappy Dailey's D label. Mercury bought the recording and released it during the summer of 1958. It reached 16 on the pop charts and spent 22 weeks on the national Top 40. It also inspired an answer record by Jayne Mansfield entitled "That Makes It". In "Chantilly Lace", Richardson pretends to have a flirting phone call with his girlfriend; the Mansfield record suggests what his girlfriend might have been saying at the other end of the line.

With the success of "Chantilly Lace," Richardson took some time off from KTRM radio and joined Buddy Holly and The Crickets, Ritchie Valens, and Dion & the Belmonts for a "Winter Dance Party" tour. On February 2, 1959, Buddy Holly chartered a Beechcraft Bonanza to take him and his new Crickets band (Tommy Allsup and Waylon Jennings) to Fargo, North Dakota. Richardson came down with the flu and didn't feel comfortable on the bus, so Waylon gave his plane seat to him. Valens had never flown on a small plane and requested Allsup's seat. They flipped a coin, and Valens called heads and won the toss.

In the early morning of February 3, following a February 2 performance at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa, the small four-passenger Beechcraft Bonanza took off into a blinding snow storm and crashed into Albert Juhl's corn field several miles after takeoff at 1:05 a.m. The crash killed Holly, Valens, Richardson and pilot Roger Peterson. This event would become known as "The Day the Music Died".

At the time of his death, Richardson, 28, left behind his wife Adrianne Joy, four-year-old Debra Joy, and a baby son who was born after his death, Jay P. Richardson. Richardson had been building a recording studio in his home in Beaumont, Texas before that last tour and was also planning to invest in the ownership of a radio station. In addition, he had written twenty new songs with plans to record by himself and with other artists. Richardson was a well-loved figure who was known to care deeply about his family.

In 1988, Ken Paquette, a Wisconsin fan of the '50s era, erected a stainless steel monument depicting a steel guitar and a set of three records bearing the names of each of the three performers. It is located on private farmland, about one quarter mile west of the intersection of 315th Street and Gull Avenue, approximately eight miles north of Clear Lake. He also created a similar stainless steel monument to the three musicians near the Riverside Ballroom in Green Bay, Wisconsin. That memorial was unveiled on July 17, 2003.

The Big Bopper is fondly remembered not only for his distinctive singing and songwriting, but also as a humorist who combined the best elements of country, R&B and rock'n'roll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bopper

Chantilly Lace :: Big Bopper

Hello baby, yeah, this is the Big Bopper speaking
Oh you sweet thing
Do I what
Will I what
Oh baby you know what I like

Chantilly lace and a pretty face
And a pony tail hanging down
That wiggle in the walk and giggle in the talk
Makes the world go round
There ain't nothing in the world like a big eyed girl
That makes me act so funny, make me spend my money
Make me feel real loose like a long necked goose
Like a girl, oh baby that's what I like

What's that baby
But, but, but, oh honey
But, oh baby you know what I like

Chorus

What's that honey
Pick you up at 8 and don't be late
But baby I ain't got no money honey
Oh alright baby you know what I like

Chorus
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:53 am
Kevin Kline
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Kevin Delaney Kline (born October 24, 1947 in St. Louis, Missouri) is an American actor.

Born to a Jewish father of German birth and an Irish-Catholic mother, Kline was raised in his mother's faith and graduated from the Roman Catholic Saint Louis Priory School in 1965; afterwards attending Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, where he began as an aspiring classical pianist. He joined the on-campus theater group the "Vest Pocket Players" and fell in love with the theater as an undergraduate.

In 1970 he was awarded a scholarship to the newly-formed Juilliard Drama School in New York. In 1972, he joined with fellow Juilliard graduates, including Patti Lupone and David Ogden Stiers, and formed the City Center Acting Company, under the aegis of famed British actor John Houseman. The troupe, which later shortened its name to The Acting Company, traveled across the U.S. performing Shakespeare and other classical plays.

In 1976, Kline left the Acting Company and settled in New York City, doing a brief stint as the character "Woody Reed" in the now defunct soap opera Search for Tomorrow. This was followed in 1978 by a small role as "Bruce Granit", a matinee' idol caricature, in Hal Prince's On The Twentieth Century for which Kline won his first Tony Award.

In 1981, Kline paired up with rock diva Linda Ronstadt and singer Rex Smith in the New York Shakespeare Festival's Central Park production of The Pirates of Penzance, garnering another Tony Award for Best Leading Actor in a Musical, for his comically dashing portrayal of the Pirate King. He later played the role in the rather unsuccessful film version of the musical, also with Ronstadt.

In ensuing years, Kline appeared many times in New York Shakespeare Festival productions of Shakespeare, including title roles in Richard III, Much Ado About Nothing, Henry V, and two productions of Hamlet, one of which he also directed. Dubbed "the American Olivier" by New York Times theater critic Frank Rich for his stage acting, Kline finally ventured into film in 1982, winning the coveted role of the tormented and mercurial "Nathan" opposite Meryl Streep in Alan Pakula's Sophie's Choice (Streep won an Academy Award for her performance in the film)

During the 80s and early 90s, Kline made several films with director Lawrence Kasdan, including The Big Chill, Silverado, Grand Canyon, I Love You To Death, and French Kiss. In 1987, Kline won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the British comedy, A Fish Called Wanda, in which he played a caricature of a painfully stupid American ex-CIA thug opposite John Cleese's genteel British barrister. In 2000, the American Film Institute named the film as #21 in its list of the top 100 funniest movies ever made.

Though he has been offered many roles that could have boosted him to box-office superstardom, Kline has kept a wary distance from the Hollywood star-making machine and developed a reputation for picking parts with discrimination, leading to the industry moniker "Kevin Decline".

Other awards have included New York Drama Desk awards, Golden Globe awards, a Gotham Actor Award, a Hasty Pudding Theatricals Man of the Year Award, and a St. Louis International Film Festival Lifetime Achievement Award.

Personal Life: Romantically linked to a succession of female performers during his years as a stage actor, including Patti Lupone, Gilda Radner, Mary Beth Hurt and Linda Ronstadt, Kline married actress and former model Phoebe Cates, who is 16 years younger than Kline, in 1989. The couple make their home in New York City and have two children, Owen Kline, who will appear in the upcoming "The Squid and the Whale", and Greta Kline.

Since his son's diagnosis with juvenile diabetes, Kline has been active with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. In November 2004, he was presented with the JDRF's Humanitarian of the Year award by Meryl Streep for his volunteer efforts on behalf of the organization

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Kline
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 05:11 am
i thought Kevin Cline was outstanding as Cole Porter in "De Lovely," wherein he showed he's quite a pianist & vocalist, as well as thespian.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 05:28 am
ooh, no word from our PD

hope all is well
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 05:39 am
i'm guessing she's absent on account of mother nature, so i presume she's somewhere safe & dry, but i wonder what will become of her new PC. Sad

do we have word somewhere from florida a2kians?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 05:56 am
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:14 am
Good morning. Hope our Letty checks in soon to let us know all is well.

Today's birthdays:

51 - Domitian, Roman Emperor (d. 96)
1402 - David Stewart, Duke of Rothesay, heir to the throne of Scotland (b. 1378)
1632 - Anton van Leeuwenhoek, Dutch microbiologist (d. 1723)
1675 - Richard Temple, 1st Viscount Cobham, English soldier and politician (d. 1749)
1788 - Sarah Hale, American poet (d. 1879)
1804 - Wilhelm Eduard Weber, German physicist (d. 1891)
1811 - Ferdinand Hiller, German composer (d. 1885)
1855 - James S. Sherman, Vice President of the United States (d. 1912)
1868 - Alexandra David-Néel, French explorer and writer (d. 1969)
1891 - Rafael Molina-Trujillo, President of the Dominican Republic
1901 - Gilda Gray, Polish-born actress and dancer (d. 1959)
1903 - Melvin Purvis, American director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (d. 1960)
1904 - Moss Hart, American dramatist (d. 1961)
1909 - Bill Carr, American athlete (d. 1966)
1915 - Tito Gobbi, Italian baritone (d. 1984)
1915 - Bob Kane, cartoonist (d. 1998)
1915 - Roger Milliken, textile heir
1925 - Luciano Berio, Italian composer (d. 2003)
1926 - Y. A. Tittle, American football player
1927 - Jean-Claude Pascal, French singer (d.1992)
1929 - George Crumb, American composer
1929 - Yordan Radichkov, Bulgarian writer
1930 - The Big Bopper, American singer (d. 1959)
1930 - Sultan Ahmad Shah, King of Malaysia
1931 - Sofia Gubaidulina, Russian composer
1932 - Pierre-Gilles de Gennes, French physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
1932 - Robert Mundell, Canadian economist, Nobel Prize laureate
1936 - Bill Wyman, English musician (The Rolling Stones)
1939 - F. Murray Abraham, American actor
1945 - Anthony Christian, English Artist
1946 - Jerry Edmonton, Canadian drummer (Steppenwolf)
1947 - Kevin Kline, American actor
1948 - Kweisi Mfume, American civil rights activist, U.S. Congressman from Maryland
1954 - Mike Rounds, Governor of South Dakota
1957 - Ron Gardenhire, baseball manager
1960 - Ian Baker-Finch, Australian golf player
1961 - Mary Bono, U.S. Congresswoman from California
1962 - B.D. Wong, American actor
1966 - Roman Abramovich, Russian oil magnate
1971 - Caprice Bourret, American model and actress
1971 - Dervla Kirwan, Irish actress
1972 - Scott Peterson, American murderer
1972 - Pat Williams, American football player
1973 - Levi Leipheimer, American professional cyclist
1979 - Ben Gillies, Australian musician (Silverchair)
1980 - Monica, American singer
1980 - James Killian, American football player
1981 - Tila Nguyen, American model
1985 - Wayne Rooney, English footballer

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Bat.gifhttp://www.art-posters.net/posters/newart/mm3164.jpg
http://www.nndb.com/people/819/000024747/kline3-sized.jpghttp://www.adreaminhanoi.com/dream/people/portrait/salieri.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 06:48 am
The winning song of the 1961 Eurovision Song Contest:

"Nous Les Amoureux", performed by Jean-Claude Pascal, for Luxembourg

(Lyrics: Maurice Vidalin. Composer: Jacques Datin)

Nous les amoureux
On voudrait nous séparer
On voudrait nous empêcher
D'être heureux
Nous les amoureux
Il paraît que c'est l'enfer
Qui nous guette
Ou bien le fer
Et le feu.
C'est vrai, les imbéciles et les méchants
Nous font du mal, nous jouent des tours
Pourtant rien n'est plus évident
Que l'amour
Nous les amoureux
Nous ne pouvons rien contr'eux
Ils sont mille et l'on est deux

Mais l'heure va sonner
Des nuis moins difficiles
Et je pourrai t'aimer
Sans qu'on en parle en ville
C'est promis
C'est écrit.

Nous les amoureux
Le soleil brille pour nous
Et l'on dort sur les genoux
Du bon Dieu
Nous les amoureux
Il nous a donné le droit
Au bonheur et à la joie
D'être deux
Alors, les sans-amour, les mal-aimés,
Il faudra bien nous acquitter
Vous qui n'avez jamais été
Condamnés
Nous les amoureux
Nous allons vivre sans vous
Car le ciel est avec nous
Les amoureux.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:19 am
Thanks, all, for keeping our station on the air with the wonderful music, bios, and celeb updates.

Last evening, my husband was rushed to the hospital. I stayed with him until he finally fell asleep and then drove home discovering that my headlights did not work. Thank God there was little traffic on the coastal road and eventually I found that by holding the lever on bright, I had lights.

The winds are getting angry here, but so far I am in tact. <smile> Somehow, withing me there is that still small voice of calm.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:21 am
make that "within"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:23 am
All the very best for your husband - and of course for you (and the headlights) as well!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:29 am
Well, Walter, that's the first real smile that I have had today. Thank you.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:31 am
Letty wrote:
Last evening, my husband was rushed to the hospital.

I had a horrible feeling that that was what it was.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. Is he stable now?

Be well.....
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:33 am
best wishes for your husband & you
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:36 am
Well, Reyn. I haven't heard as yet, and I cannot get out in this mess, but when you look up at a man who has a strange little smile on his face, and see his pace maker literally hanging out of his chest, it makes Wilma somewhat less of a threat than the health care system here in Florida.

Thank you, Reyn.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 07:42 am
Thank you, Yit. I know that you all are my friends, so please keep on singing, folks.

Later.
0 Replies