WA2K Radio is now on the air

spendius

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 05:42 pm
It's a bit out of date compared the the new Windows ad.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 05:45 pm
Ah, dj. Such inspirational songs, Canada. Who is this old geezer, Weezer? Razz

Love 'em, honey.

And there's our edgar, with a follow up of The Beverly hillbillies.

I never see Beverly Hills that I don't think of Eddie Murphy. Isn't he now doing a new version of I Spy?

No matter what you think you pull
You'll find it's not enough
No matter who you think you know
You won't get through
It's a given LA law
Someone's faster on the draw
No matter where you hide
I'm comin' after you

No matter how the race is run
It always ends the same
Another room without a view awaits downtown
You can shake me for a while
Live it up in style
No matter what you do
I'm going to take you down

Shake down, break down, take down
Everybody wants into the crowded light
Break down, take down, you're busted
Let down your guard, honey
Just about the time you think that it's alright

This is a town where everyone is reachin' for the top
This is a place where second best will never do
It's okay you want to shine
But once you step across that line
No matter where you hide
I'm comin' after you

Everybody wants into the crowded light
Shake down, break down, honey
Just about the time you think that it's alright

Everybody wants into the crowded light...

Bob Seeger
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 05:58 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed
Poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed
Then one day he was shooting for some food,
And up through the ground come a bubbling crude
(Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea).....

Hey, Edgar, my favourite sing-along music....haha! Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:00 pm
Reyn, I wish I could tell you all the times that we have engaged in singing as a group. I suppose that could be considered as a sing along.

I suspect our Bob is off to another karaoke, and they'll all be singing along somewhere. <smile>

While Letty eats, play us some sing along songs, Reyn.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:12 pm
I got another sing along:

On top of old Smokey
All covered with snow
I lost my true lover
For a courting too slow

Yes courting's a pleasure
And parting is grief
And a false hearted lover
Is worse than a thief

She'll kiss you, she'll hug you
And tell you more lies
Than the cross ties on a railroad
Or the stars in the sky

Let me tell you 'bout my baby
She's like bad brandy wine
The first time I kissed her
She drove me out my mind

She's a Baltimore special
Got a fine brown frame
When you see her in motion
Evil woman is her name

Did I tell you 'bout the Eastman
Lord what a shame
He run off with my baby
And scandalized my name

Well I went up on a mountain top
To call my baby back
She was gone with that Eastman
Down that lonesome railroad track

If I ever see that Eastman
I'll shoot him with my gun
I'll cut him with my long Jones
And dare that pimp to run

Little Liza, little Liza
I couldn't sleep last night
Come on back home baby
Everything will be all right

Let me tell you, let me tell you
I don't care what you say
If my woman ever comes back
I'll give my life away

If you ever see a dark cloud
A-rollin' in the sky
It's my woman gone to heaven
With a tear drop in her eye

On top of old Smokey
All covered with snow
I lost my true lover
For a-courting to slow
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:30 pm
My word, edgar. It seems to me that I recall Stan Freberg doing a fantastic spoof on that oldie. Thanks, Texas, for the memories.

Well, listeners, it's time for me to say good night, and I can't think of a better way than this song that my Mom loved. (her birthday was this month)

Dream Along With Me ( I'm On My Way To A Star ) Words and Music by Carl Sigman

Dream along with me, I'm on my way to a star
Come along, come along, leave your worries where they are
Up and beyond the sky, watchin' the world roll by
Sharin' a kiss, a sigh, just use your imagination!

On a cloud of love, we'll hear the music of night
We can wink at the moon as we hold each other tight
And if we go in the right direction, heaven can't be very far
Dream along with me, I'm on my way to a star!

(We can wink at the moon as we hold each other tight . . . )
And if we go in the right direction, heaven can't be very far
Dream along with me, I'm on my way to a star!

With love from Letty
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:43 pm
(HARP & JAWBONE INTRO)

chicken train

runnin' all day

chicken train

runnin' all day

chicken train

runnin' all day

I can't get on

I can't get off

chicken train take your chickens away

(HARP & JAWBONE BREAK)

laser beam

in my dream

laser beam

in my dream

laser beam

in my dream

I can't get on

I can't get off

laser beam's like a sawed off dream

(HARP & JAWBONE BREAK)
(while you do chicken sounds)

chicken train

runnin' all day

chicken train

runnin' all day

chicken train

runnin' all day

I can't get on

I can't get off

chicken train take your chickens away

braaa... braaaaaccck... braaaaaaaa....
(more chicken sounds...)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:44 pm
(HARP INTRO)

I never read it in a book

I never saw it on a show

but I heard it in the alley

on a weird radio

if you want a drink of water

you got to get it from a well

if you want to get to heaven

you got to raise a little hell

I never felt it in my feet

I never felt it in my soul

but I heard it the alley

now it's in my rock and roll

if you want to know a secret

you got to promise not to tell

(HARP SOLO)

(GUITAR SOLO)

I never thought it'd be so easy

I never thought it'd be so fun

but I heard it in the alley

now I got it on the run

if you want to see an angel

you got to find it where it fell

(GUITARS & HARP STUFF)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:59 pm
As we all know, before there was WA2K radio, there was the Golden Age of Radio. One of my all time favorite series from that time was a show called SUSPENSE. Here is a sample of it:

Sorry, Wrong Number

MUSIC: Bernard Herrmann's "Suspense" theme

THE MAN IN BLACK: "Suspense!" ...

MUSIC: Theme continues for a bit ... then under.

THE MAN IN BLACK: This is the Man in Black, here to introduce Columbia's
program ... "Suspense." Tonight, as we premiere our new Saturday evening
series on the air, Miss Agnes Moorehead returns to our stage to appear in
the study in terror by Lucille Fletcher called, "Sorry, Wrong Number." This
story of a woman who accidentally overheard a conversation with death, and
who strove frantically to prevent murder from claiming an innocent victim,
is being repeated by popular request as tonight's tale of ... suspense. If
you've been with us before, you will know that "Suspense" is compounded of
mystery and suspicion and dangerous adventure. In this series are tales
calculated to intrigue you, to stir your nerves, to offer you a precarious
situation and then ... withhold the solution ... until the last possible
moment. And so it is with the story "Sorry, Wrong Number" and the
performance of Miss Agnes Moorehead, we again hope to keep you in ...

MUSIC: Up, dramatically.

THE MAN IN BLACK: ... suspense!

MUSIC: out.

SOUND: Number being dialed on telephone -- then a busy signal.

MRS. STEVENSON (a querulous, self-centered neurotic): Oh -- dear ... !

SOUND: Slams down receiver impatiently and dials operator. Rings four times.

OPERATOR (on filter): Your call, please?

http://www.geocities.com/emruf2/otr/suspense2.html
The link not only finishes the script, it has dozens of other shows, even the radio version of Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 04:59 am
a parody of edgars smokey tune

On Top of Spaghetti

On top of spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table,
And on to the floor,
And then my poor meatball,
Rolled out of the door.

It rolled in the garden,
And under a bush,
And then my poor meatball,
Was nothing but mush.

The mush was as tasty
As tasty could be,
And then the next summer,
It grew into a tree.

The tree was all covered,
All covered with moss,
And on it grew meatballs,
And tomato sauce.

So if you eat spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
Hold on to your meatball,
Whenever you sneeze.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:44 am
Noah Webster
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Noah Webster (October 16, 1758-May 28, 1843) was an American lexicographer, textbook author, Bible translator, spelling reformer, writer, and editor. He has been called the "Father of American Scholarship and Education." His "Blue-backed Speller" books taught five generations of children in the United States how to spell and read, and his name became synonymous with "dictionary", especially the modern Merriam-Webster dictionary which was first published in 1828 as An American Dictionary of the English Language.

Biography

Noah Webster was born on October 16, 1758, in the West Division of Hartford, Connecticut to an agriculural colonial family. His father was a farmer and a weaver, and his mother a homemaker. Noah's siblings were his brothers, Charles and Abraham, and his sisters, Mercy and Jerusha.

At the age of 16, he began attending Yale, the sole college in Connecticut. His years at Yale overlapped with the American Revolutionary War, and because of food shortages, many of his college classes were held in Glastonbury, Connecticut.

He graduated from Yale in 1778. Unable to afford law school, he taught school in Glastonbury, Hartford, and West Hartford. He eventually earned his law degree in 1781 and was admitted to the Hartford bar the same year.

As a teacher, he had come to dislike American elementary schools. They could be overcrowded, with up to seventy children of all ages crammed into one-room schoolhouses, poorly staffed with untrained teachers, and poorly equipped with no desks and unsatisfactory textbooks which came from England. Webster thought that Americans should learn from American books, so he began writing a three volume compendium, A Grammatical Institute of the English Language. The work consisted of a speller (published in 1783), a grammar (published in 1784), and a reader (published in 1785).

The speller was originally entitled The First Part of the Grammatical Institute of the English Language. The title was changed in 1786 to The American Spelling Book, and again in 1829 to The Elementary Spelling Book. Most people called it the "Blue-backed Speller" because of its blue cover, and for the next one hundred years, Webster's book taught children how to read, spell, and pronounce words. It was the most popular American book of its time; by 1861, it was selling a million copies per year, and its royalty of less than one cent per copy was enough to sustain Webster in his other endeavors. Even Ben Franklin used Webster's book to teach his granddaughter how to read. Some consider it to be the first dictionary created in the United States, and it helped create the popular contests known as spelling bees.

Unauthorized printing of his books, and disparate copyright laws that varied among the thirteen states, led Webster to champion the federal copyright law that was successfully passed in 1790.

Webster married Rebecca Greenleaf in 1789. They had eight children.

In 1793, the Websters moved to New York City to be closer to George Washington and the new country's federal administration. On December 9, 1793, Noah Webster founded New York's first daily newspaper, American Minerva (later known as The Commercial Advertiser). He also published the semi-weekly publication, The Herald, A Gazette for the country (later known as The New York Spectator).

The Websters moved back to New Haven in 1798.

In 1806 Noah Webster published A Compendious Dictionary of the English Language.

The following year, at the age of 43, Webster began writing an expanded and comprehensive dictionary, An American Dictionary of the English Language, which would take twenty-seven years to complete. To supplement the documentation of the etymology of the words, Webster would learn twenty-six languages, including Anglo-Saxon and Sanskrit. Webster hoped to standardize American speech, since Americans in different parts of the country spelled, pronounced, and used words differently.

During the course of his work on the book, the family moved to Amherst, Massachusetts in 1812, where Webster helped to found Amherst College. Later in 1822, the family moved back to New Haven, and Webster earned an Ll.D. from Yale the following year.

Webster completed his dictionary during his year abroad in 1825 in Paris, France and at the University of Cambridge. His book contained 70,000 words, of which 12,000 had never appeared in any earlier published dictionary. As a spelling reformer, Webster believed that English spelling rules were unnecessarily complex, so his dictionary introduced American spellings like "color" instead of the English "colour", "music" instead " of "musick", "wagon" instead of "waggon", "center" instead of "centre", and "honor" instead of "honour". He also added American words that were not in English dictionaries like "skunk" and "squash". At the age of seventy, Webster published his dictionary in 1828.

In 1840, the second edition was published in two volumes. On May 28, 1843, a few days after he had completed revising an appendix to the second edition, Noah Webster died.

Quotes

When you become entitled to exercise the right of voting for public officers, let it be impressed on your mind that God commands you to choose for rulers, "just men who will rule in the fear of God." The preservation of [our] government depends on the faithful discharge of this Duty; if the citizens neglect their Duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted; laws will be made, not for the public good so much as for selfish or local purposes; corrupt or incompetent men will be appointed to execute the Laws; the public revenues will be squandered on unworthy men; and the rights of the citizen will be violated or disregarded. If [our] government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the Divine Commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the Laws.

-History of the United States by Noah Webster.

Webster's dictionary

It is reported that Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary contains the greatest number of Biblical definitions given in any reference volume. Webster considered "education useless without the Bible". Noah Webster believed that the Bible and Christianity played important roles in the lives of a free people and its government. "In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a free government, ought to be instructed.... No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people...."

Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language was produced during the years when the American home, church and school were established upon a Biblical and patriotic basis. Webster, descended on his mother's side from Pilgrim Governor, William Bradford of Plymouth Plantation, made important contributions to an American educational system which kept the nation on a Christian Constitutional course for many years. The famous "blue-backed Speller," his "Grammars," and "Reader," all contained Biblical and patriotic themes and Webster spearheaded the flood of educational volumes emphasizing Christian Constitutional values for more than a century.

Webster published his first dictionary of the English language in 1806, and in 1828 he published the first edition of his American Dictionary of the English Language (copyrighted on April 14th that year), whose title reveals his ambitions. Webster changed the spelling of many words in his dictionaries in an attempt to make them more phonemic. Many of the differences between American English and other English variants evident today originated this way.

Webster's dictionary was so popular that "Webster's" became synonymous with dictionary to many Americans. As a result, the Webster's name lost trademark protection and is now used by numerous publishers in the titles of their dictionaries. Among these, the Merriam-Webster's dictionary is considered to be the most direct descendant of Noah Webster's lexicographical tradition, the Merriam brothers having purchased the rights to revise the dictionary from Webster's heirs upon his death in 1843. The 1913 version of the Webster's Dictionary also gained some prominence in modern times.

Noah Webster claimed to have coined only one word - demoralize, which he defined: "To corrupt or undermine the morals of; to destroy or lessen the effect of moral principles on; to render corrupt in morals."

Webster's Bible

Besides his dictionary, Webster also released his own translation of the Bible in 1833. In doing the translation, Webster used the King James Version as a base. He consulted the Hebrew and Greek along with various other versions and commentaries. Webster molded the KJV to correct grammar, replaced words that were no longer used, and did away with words and phrases that could be seen as offensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:48 am
Oscar Wilde

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (October 16, 1854 - November 30, 1900) was an Anglo-Irish playwright, novelist, poet, and short story writer. One of the most successful playwrights of late Victorian London, known for his clever wit. He was imprisoned after being convicted in a famous trial of "gross indecency" for his homosexuality.

Life

Wilde was born at 21 Westland Row, Dublin, to Sir William Wilde and his wife Jane. Lady Jane was a successful poet, writer, and an Irish nationalist, known also as 'Speranza', while Sir William was Ireland's leading ear and eye surgeon, and wrote books on archaeology and folklore. He was a philanthropist, and his dispensary for the care of the city's poor, situated in Lincoln Place at the rear of Trinity College, Dublin was the forerunner of the Dublin Eye and Ear Hospital, now located at Adelaide Road.

In June 1855, the family moved to 1 Merrion Square. Lady Wilde held a regular Saturday afternoon salon with guests including Sheridan le Fanu, Samuel Lever, George Petrie, Isaac Butt and Samuel Ferguson. Oscar was educated at home up till nine. He attended Portora Royal School in Enniskillen, Fermanagh from 1864 to 1871, spending the summer months with his family in rural Waterford, Wexford and at William Wilde's family home in Mayo. Here the Wilde brothers played with the young George Moore. After leaving Portora, Oscar studied the classics at Trinity College, Dublin, from 1871 to 1874. He won the Berkeley Gold Medal, the highest award available to classics students. He got a scholarship to Magdalen College, Oxford, where he continued his studies from 1874 to 1878. While at Magdalen, Wilde won the 1878 Oxford Newdigate Prize for his poem Ravenna. He graduated with a double first.

After graduating from Magdalen, Wilde returned to Dublin, where he fell in love with Florence Balcome. She, in turn, became engaged to Bram Stoker. On hearing of her engagement, Wilde wrote to her stating his intention to leave Ireland permanently. He left in 1878 and returned to his native country only twice. The next six years were spent in London, Paris, and the United States, where he lectured. In London, he met Constance Lloyd, daughter of the wealthy QC, Horace Lloyd. She was visiting Dublin in 1884 when Oscar was in the city to give lectures at the Gaiety Theatre. He proposed to her and they married on May 29, 1884 in Paddington, London. Constance's allowance of £250 allowed the Wildes to live in relative luxury. The couple had two sons, Cyril (1885) and Vyvyan (1886). After Wilde's downfall Constance took the surname Holland for herself and the boys. She died in 1898 following spinal surgery and was buried in Staglieno Cemetery in Genoa, Italy. Cyril was killed in France in World War I. Vyvyan survived the war and went on to become an author and translator. He published his memoir in 1954. His son, Merlin Holland, has edited and published several works about his grandfather in the last decade.

Wilde's sexual orientation has variously been considered bisexual or gay. His inclination towards relations with younger men was well-known, the first such relationship having probably been with Robert Ross, who would be his literary executor. Ross, seventeen when Wilde met him, was aware of Wilde's poems and beaten for reading them. By Richard Ellman's account, Ross, "...so young and yet so knowing, was determined to seduce [Wilde]." Ross boasted to Lord Alfred Douglas that he was "the first boy Oscar ever had" and there seems to have been jealousy between them. In his writings, an early indication of Wilde's sexuality is found in The Portrait of Mr. W. H. (1889), in which he propounds a theory that Shakespeare's sonnets were written out of the poet's love of a young man.

In 1891, Wilde became intimate with Lord Alfred Douglas, who went by the nickname "Bosie". Bosie's father, John Sholto Douglas, 9th Marquess of Queensberry, became enraged at his son's involvement with Wilde. He confronted the two publicly several times. He planned to interrupt the opening night of The Importance of Being Earnest with a delivery of vegetables, but somebody tipped Wilde off and the Marquess was barred from entering the theatre. On February 18, 1895, the Marquess left a calling card at one of Wilde's clubs, the Albemarle. On the back of the card he wrote "For Oscar Wilde posing as a Somdomite" (the final word being a misspelling of 'sodomite').

Although Wilde's friends advised him to ignore the insult, Lord Alfred later admitted that he egged Wilde on to charge Queensberry with criminal libel. Queensberry was arrested, and in April 1895, the Crown took over the prosecution of the libel case against the Marquess. The trial lasted three days. The prosecuting counsel, Edward Clarke, was unaware Wilde had liaisons with men. Clarke asked Wilde directly whether there was any substance to Queensberry's accusations and Wilde denied that there was. Edward Carson, the barrister who defended Queensberry, hired investigators who were able to locate a number of men with whom Wilde had been involved, either socially or sexually.

Wilde parried Carson's cross-examination on the morals of his published works with witticisms and sarcasm. Asked whether he had ever adored any man younger than himself, Wilde replied, "I have never given adoration to anybody except myself." On the second day Carson's cross-examination was more damaging; Wilde later admitted to perjuring himself by some of his answers. On the third day, Clarke recommended Wilde withdraw the prosecution, and the case was dismissed. Authorities were unwilling to let matters rest. Based on evidence acquired by Queensberry and Carson, Wilde was arrested on April 6, 1895 at the Cadogan Hotel in London and charged with "committing acts of gross indecency with other male persons" under Section 11 of the 1885 Criminal Law Amendment Act. Clarke offered to defend him for nothing at his trial. At his own trial Wilde dropped any semblance of subterfuge and delivered an impassioned defense of male love in answer to the cross examination by Mr. C. F. Gill:

Gill: What is "the love that dares not speak its name?"

Wilde: "The love that dares not speak its name" in this century is such a great affection of an elder for a younger man as there was between David and Jonathan, such as Plato made the very basis of his philosophy, and such as you find in the sonnets of Michelangelo and Shakespeare. It is that deep spiritual affection that is as pure as it is perfect. It dictates and pervades great works of art, like those of Shakespeare and Michelangelo, and those two letters of mine, such as they are. It is in this century misunderstood, so much misunderstood that it may be described as "The love that dares not speak its name," and on that account of it I am placed where I am now. It is beautiful, it is fine, it is the noblest form of affection. There is nothing unnatural about it. It is intellectual, and it repeatedly exists between an older and a younger man, when the older man has intellect, and the younger man has all the joy, hope and glamour of life before him. That it should be so, the world does not understand. The world mocks at it, and sometimes puts one in the pillory for it.

Wilde was convicted on May 25, 1895 of gross indecency and sentenced to serve two years hard labor. He was imprisoned at Pentonville and then Wandsworth prison in London, and finally transferred in November to the prison in the town of Reading, some 30 miles west of London. Wilde knew the town. Now known as prisoner C. 3.3, at first he was not even allowed paper and pen to write, but a later governor was more friendly. During his time in prison, Wilde wrote a 50,000 word letter to Douglas, which he was not allowed to send while still a prisoner, but which he was allowed to take with him at the end of his sentence. On his release he gave the manuscript to Ross, who may or may not have carried out Wilde's instructions to send a copy to Douglas who, in turn, denied having received it. Ross published a much expurgated version of the letter (about 30% only) in 1905 (4 years after Wilde's death) with the title De Profundis, expanded it slightly for an edition of Wilde's collected works in 1908 and then donated it to the British Museum on the understanding that it would not be made public until 1960. In 1949 Wilde's son Vyvyan Holland published it again, including parts formerly omitted, but relying on a faulty typescript bequeathed to him by Ross. Its first complete and correct publication did not take place until 1962 in The Letters of Oscar Wilde. The manuscripts of A Florentine Tragedy and an essay on Shakespeare's sonnets were stolen from his house in 1895. In 1904 a five-act tragedy, The Duchess of Padua, written by Wilde about 1883 for Mary Anderson, but not acted by her, was published in a German translation (Die Herzogin von Padua, translated by Max Meyerfeld) in Berlin.

Prison was unkind to Wilde's health and when he was released on May 19, 1897 he spent his last three years penniless, in self-imposed exile from society and artistic circles. He went under the assumed name of 'Sebastian Melmoth', after the central character of the gothic novel Melmoth the Wanderer. After his release, he wrote the famous poem The Ballad of Reading Gaol. On his deathbed he converted to the Roman Catholic church, which he had long admired. He spent his last days in the Hotel d'Alsace in Paris. Just a month before his death he is quoted as saying, "My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or other of us has got to go." Wilde died of cerebral meningitis on November 30, 1900. Different opinions are given on the cause of the meningitis; Richard Ellmann claimed it was syphilitic; Merlin Holland, Wilde's grandson, thought this to be a misconception, noting that Wilde's meningitis followed a surgical intervention, perhaps a mastoidectomy; Wilde's physicians, Dr. Paul Cleiss and A'Court Tucker reported that the condition stemmed from an old suppuration of the right ear (une ancienne suppuration de l'oreille droite d'ailleurs en traitement depuis plusieurs années) and do not allude to syphilis. Most modern scholars and doctors agree that syphilis was unlikely to have been the cause of his death. Wilde was buried in the Cimetière de Bagneux outside Paris but was later moved to Le Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. His tomb in the Père Lachaise was designed by the sculptor Sir Jacob Epstein, at the request of Robert Baldwin Ross.

Literary Aesthetics and Works

While at Magdalen College, Wilde became particularly well known for his role in the aesthetic and decadent movements. He began wearing his hair long and openly scorning so-called "manly" sports. His behavior cost him a dunking in the River Cherwell in addition to having his rooms trashed, but the cult spread among certain segments of society to such an extent that languishing attitudes, "too-too" costumes and Aestheticism generally became a recognised pose. Aestheticism in general was caricatured in Gilbert and Sullivan's operetta Patience (1881). Such was the success of "Patience" in New York that Richard D'Oyly Carte conceived the idea of sending Wilde to America on a lecture tour. This was arranged, Wilde arriving in January 1882.

Wilde was deeply impressed by the English writers John Ruskin and Walter Pater, who argued for the central importance of art in life. The aesthetic movement, represented by the school of William Morris and Dante Gabriel Rossetti, had a permanent influence on English decorative art. As the leading aesthete, Wilde became one of the most prominent personalities of his day. In 1879 Wilde started to teach Aesthetic values in London. In 1882 he went on a lecture tour in the United States and Canada. On his return to the United Kingdom, he worked as a reviewer for the Pall Mall Gazette in the years 1887-1889. Afterwards he became the editor of Woman's World.

Politically, Wilde endorsed an anarchistic brand of socialism, expounding his beliefs in the text "The Soul Of Man Under Socialism". He had already published in 1881 a selection of his poems, which, however, attracted admiration in only a limited circle. His most famous fairy tale, The Happy Prince and Other Tales, appeared in 1888, illustrated by Walter Crane and Jacob Hood. This volume was followed up later by a second collection of fairy tales, The House of Pomegranates (1892), acknowledged by the author to be "intended neither for the British child nor the British public." His only novel The Picture of Dorian Gray was published in 1891. Critics have often claimed that there existed parallels between Wilde's life and that of the book's protagonist, and it was used as evidence against him at his trial.

His fame as a dramatist began with the production of Lady Windermere's Fan in February 1892. This was written at the request of George Alexander, actor-manager of the St James's Theatre in London. It was immediately successful, the author making the enormous sum of seven thousand pounds from the original run. Less successful was Salomé the same year, refused a licence for English performance by the Lord Chamberlain because it contained Biblical characters. Wilde was furious, even contemplating (he said) changing his nationality to become a French citizen. The play was published in English, with illustrations by Aubrey Beardsley, in 1894. A French edition had appeared the year before. His next comedy was A Woman of No Importance, produced on 19th April 1893 at the Haymarket Theatre in London by Herbert Beerbohm Tree. It repeated the success of Lady Windermere's Fan, consolidating Wilde's reputation as the best writer of "comedy-of-manners" since Richard Brinsley Sheridan. A more serious note was struck with An Ideal Husband, produced by Lewis Waller at the Haymarket Theatre on 3 January 1895. George Bernard Shaw's review said that "...Mr Wilde is to me our only serious playwright. He plays with everything: with wit, with philosophy, with drama, with actors, with audience, with the whole theatre..."

Barely a month later, his masterpiece The Importance of Being Earnest appeared at the St James's Theatre. It caused a sensation. Years later, the actor Allen Aynesworth (playing 'Algy' opposite George Alexander's 'Jack') told Wilde's biographer Hesketh Pearson that "In my fifty-three years of acting, I never remember a greater triumph than the first night of 'The Importance of Being Earnest'." Unlike the three previous comedies, Earnest is free of any melodrama, or even of any plot worth speaking about. It is in a class of its own in the whole of English drama as a piece of pure, delightful nonsense.

In between An Ideal Husband and The Importance of Being Earnest, Wilde wrote at least the scenario for a play concerning an adulterous affair. He never developed it, the Queensberry affair and his own trial intervening. Frank Harris eventually wrote a version called Mr and Mrs Daventry. Wilde wrote another little-known play (in the form of a pantomime) for a friend of his, Chan Toon, which was called For Love of the King. The 1894 play also went under the name A Burmese Masque. It has never been widely circulated. One copy, held in the Leeds University Library's Fay and Geoffrey Elliott Collection is marked: "This is a spurious work attributed to Wilde without authority by a Mrs. Chan Toon, who was sent to prison for stealing money from her landlady. A.J.A. Symons."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Wilde
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:58 am
Angela Lansbury

Angela Lansbury, CBE (born October 16, 1925) is a British-American actress and the granddaughter of British Labour politician George Lansbury. She was born Angela Brigid Lansbury in London, England, the daughter of a Belfast-born actress, Moyna MacGill. She moved to the United States at the beginning of World War II and became a naturalized citizen in 1951.

She made her Academy Award nominated film debut in 1944, in the Charles Boyer/Ingrid Bergman film Gaslight, followed by another Oscar nomination for the Oscar Wilde film The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) and has since enjoyed a long and varied career, mainly as a film actress, appearing in everything from Samson and Delilah (1949) to Disney's Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971).

Lansbury's performance in The Manchurian Candidate (1962) as the overbearing mother of a brainwashed assassin, won much praise and won her a third Oscar nomination. In the film, Lansbury's son was played by Laurence Harvey, who was then only three years younger than she. Lansbury has been quoted in an interview with CNN's Larry King as saying that this was her favorite of her many film roles.

Lansbury received a Golden Globe in 1965 for her work the previous year as a similarly distant mother in the comedy, The World of Henry Orient, opposite her love-interest in the film, Peter Sellers, and a very young Tom Bosley as her husband. She later played Agatha Christie's Miss Marple in The Mirror Crack'd (1980). She then turned to character voice work in animated films like The Last Unicorn (1984), winning a great deal of praise for her affectionate turn as the singing teapot Mrs. Potts in the Disney hit Beauty and the Beast (1991). She also did character work as the Dowager Empress in the less well-received animated film Anastasia in 1997.

On Broadway, Lansbury received good reviews from her very first musical outing, the short-lived 1964 Stephen Sondheim musical Anyone Can Whistle. Starting in 1966, her long-running portrayal as Jerry Herman's Mame, opposite Bea Arthur as Vera, earned Lansbury her first Tony Award for Best Leading Actress in a Musical. Subsequent Tony awards were earned for Dear World (1969) and the first Broadway revival of Gypsy (1974). She is a two-time winner of the Sarah Siddons Award (1975 & 1980) for dramatic achievement in the theatre. Her English music-hall turn as meat-pie entrepreneuse Mrs. Lovett in Sondheim's ballad opera Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street earned her yet another Tony Award in 1979. She has received a Tony nomination for every lead role she has essayed on Broadway, and won each time, unlike her unlucky record at the Oscars.

As Jessica Fletcher in the long-running television series, Murder, She Wrote (1984 -1996), she found her biggest success and a worldwide following. It was to be one of the longest running prime time detective drama series in US TV history and made her one of the highest paid actresses in the world and a record as the most nominated lead actress without a win in the prime time Emmy awards (with 12 nominations).

In the early 1990s the British Government awarded Angela Lansbury the CBE. She was named a Disney Legend in 1995. She received a Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997, and Kennedy Center Honors in 2000.

Lansbury was briefly married from 1945-46 to American actor Richard Cromwell when she was 19 and Cromwell was 35. In 1948, Lansbury remarried, to Irish-born actor and businessman Peter Shaw, who had been a former boyfriend of the much-older actress, Joan Crawford. Shaw was instrumental in guiding and managing Ms. Lansbury's career. Until Shaw's death in 2003, Lansbury enjoyed one of the longest and most prolific of show-business marriages.

Lansbury is the mother of two, stepmother of one, and a proud grandmother several times over. Her son, Antony, was producer/director of Murder She Wrote, and is today a television executive. Lansbury's daughter, Deirdre Angela Shaw Battarrais, who beat a serious drug addiction with her devoted mother's help (Lansbury moved to rural Ireland from California to escape the scourge of drugs) and is today, along with her Italian-born husband Enzo, the co-manager of a popular cafe, Ristorante Positano, in West Los Angeles, California.

Interestingly, Lansbury was related by her half-sister Isolde's marriage to the late British actor, Sir Peter Ustinov; the two in-laws appeared together professionally just once in 1978's Death on the Nile. Lansbury is today related -- by the marriage of her stepson David Lansbury -- to the American actress Ally Sheedy. A footnote is that one of Ms. Lansbury's two twin brothers, Edgar Lansbury, was the producer of Godspell, the smash-hit broadway musical, in the 1970s.

Today, Lansbury, a longtime resident of Brentwood, California takes time to support various philanthropic groups. Lansbury was the Guest of Honor at the 14th annual Gala and Fundraiser on April 16, 2005 for Women in Recovery, Inc., a Venice, California-based non-profit organization offering a live-in, 12-Step program of rehabilitation for women in need. Past Honorees of this organization have included Jamie Lee Curtis and Sir Anthony Hopkins.

Lansbury had knee replacement surgery on July 14, 2005. [1]

Lansbury also enjoys vacation time regularly at her home in County Cork, Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Lansbury
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:20 am
Good morning, WA2K radio fans and contributors.

It's a beautiful day here today, and as the sun shines through our studio windows, I am reminded of a poem, Mamma is a sunrise; What a lovely metaphor, listeners, but unfortunately I cannot locate it on the web.

Dys, thanks for those interesting songs. Not certain if they're a parody or not, but one seems to spoof Freight Train. Speaking of chicken, the bird flu seems to have folks a bit paranoid about fowl consumption.

Dj, hope that thumb is regenerating, Canada. Thanks for that parody, dear.

We are, of course, always glad to see our edgar in our studio. Hey, Texas, thanks for all your many contributions.

Bob, We appreciate the bio's but the one that is of most interest to me is Oscar Wilde. What a pity that such a talent was overshadowed by the tenor of the times. His fairy tales, complete with moral, were and still are a special favorite, along with The Picture of Dorian Grey.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:33 am
Good day to all.

Today's birthdays:

1430 - King James II of Scotland (d. 1460)
1483 - Gasparo Contarini, Italian diplomat and cardinal (d. 1542)
1535 - Niwa Nagahide, Japanese warlord (d. 1585)
1663 - Eugene of Savoy, French-born Austrian general (d. 1736)
1714 - Giovanni Arduino, Italian geologist (d. 1795)
1758 - Noah Webster, American lexicographer
1815 - Francis Lubbock, Governor of Texas (d. 1905)
1840 - Kuroda Kiyotaka, Japanese politician and prime minister (d. 1900)
1841 - Prince Hirobumi Ito, Japanese governor of Korea (d. 1909)
1854 - Oscar Wilde, Irish writer (d. 1900)
1861 - J. B. Bury, Irish historian (d. 1927)
1863 - Austen Chamberlain, English statesman, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1937)
1878 - Maxey Long, American athlete
1886 - David Ben-Gurion, first Prime Minister of Israel (d. 1973)
1888 - Eugene O'Neill, American playwright (d. 1953)
1888 - Paul Popenoe, American activist (d. 1979)
1890 - Michael Collins, Irish patriot (d. 1922)
1890 - Paul Strand, American photographer (d. 1975)
1898 - William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice (d. 1980)
1900 - Primo Conti, Italian painter (d. 1988)
1903 - Cecile de Brunhoff, French storyteller (d. 2003)
1908 - Enver Hoxha, Albanian dictator (d.1985)
1914 - Zahir Shah, King of Afghanistan
1919 - Kathleen Winsor, American writer (d. 2003)
1925 - Angela Lansbury, English-born actress
1927 - Günter Grass, German novelist
1928 - Mary Daly, feminist
1931 - Charles Colson, American Watergate conspirator
1936 - Andrei Chikatilo, Russian serial killer
1940 - Barry Corbin, American actor
1940 - Dave DeBusschere, American basketball player (d. 2003)
1941 - Tim McCarver, baseball player and commentator
1946 - Suzanne Somers, American actress
1947 - Bob Weir, American musician (The Grateful Dead)
1947 - Terry Griffiths, Welsh snooker player
1952 - Boogie Mosson, American musician (P Funk)
1952 - Ron Taylor, American actor (d. 2002)
1953 - Paulo Roberto Falcão, Brazilian footballer
1958 - Tim Robbins, American actor, director, and writer
1959 - Gary Kemp, British musician and actor
1959 - Erkki-Sven Tüür, Estonian composer
1962 - Flea, Australian musician (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
1962 - Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Russian baritone
1965 - Steve Lamacq, British journalist and disc jockey
1972 - Tomas Lindberg, Swedish Musician (At The Gates)
1974 - Paul Kariya, Canadian hockey player
1977 - John Mayer, American musician
1980 - Sue Bird, American basketball player
1986 - Dean Burke, Interpreter; Presqu'ile Provincial Park
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/L/htmlL/lansburyang/lansburyangIMAGE/lansburyang.jpg

Just a few Oscar Wilde quotes out of a list of 200 or more:

As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its fascination. When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be popular.

Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation. It is of the great facts in the world like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark water of that silver shell we call the moon.

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.

Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike.

Only the shallow know themselves.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:55 am
Good morning, Raggedy. Thanks again, PA, for your celeb updates.

"....nothing that is worth knowing can be taught....". Hmmm. What an interesting observation by Mr. Wilde. That will take some mulling over, folks.

As serendipity would have it, in searching through the archives for one poem, I found another that has illuded me for some time.

After many snows I was home again.
Time had whittled down to mere hills
the great mountains of my childhood.
Raging rivers I once swam trickled now like gentle streams.
And the wide road curving on to China or Kansas City or perhaps Calcutta,
Had withered to a crooked path of dust
ending abruptly at the county burying ground.
Only the giant that was my father remained the same.
A hundred strong men strained beneath his coffin
when they bore him to his grave.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:00 am
That's a lovely poem, Letty. The author?

Oh, and do you remember, and I've asked this on my movie quiz, the movie that Oscar Wilde and Angela Lansbury have in common?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:04 am
Letty, is the poem you were looking for?

Mama Is a Sunrise by Evelyn Hunt

When she comes slip-footed through the door,
she kindles us
like lump coal lighted,
and we wake up glowing.
She puts a spark even in Papa's eyes
and turns out all our darkness

When she comes sweet-talking in the room,
she warms us
like grits and gravy,
and we rise up shining.
Even at nighttime Mama is a sunrise
that promises tomorrow and tomorrow.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:15 am
Raggedy, I think that Gordon Parks was the author of that poem, and yes, it is lovely. Made me think of my dad again. <smile>. Folks, it seems like an eternity ago when Cav; lightwizard and others discussed the movie The Picture of Dorian Gray. I think that he caused me to research Angela's "Yellow Bird" song.

colorbook, yes, dear, that is the poem. Don't you love that direct metaphor, listeners?

Funny quote for the day:

Formula for success: Rise early, work hard, strike oil.
J. Paul Getty Razz
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:31 am
i won't be too successful today, perhaps, because i just got up. at any rate, this was #1 in Billboard this week in 1954:

Hey There - Rosemary Clooney

Lately when I'm in my room all by myself
In the solitary gloom I call to myself

Hey there, you with the stars in your eyes
Love never made a fool of you
You used to be too wise
Hey there, you on that high-flyin' cloud
Though he won't throw a crumb to you
You think some day he'll come to you

Better forget him
Him with his nose in the air
He has you dancin' on a string