WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:31 pm
Hey, Reyn. John Bartlett is a folk singer who does most of his stuff about British Columbia.

I tried to show you his picture earlier, but my machinery wouldn't allow it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:42 pm
Well, Reyn. This will have to be for our other corner of Europe, Francis, and of course, for you:

B.C.

Résumé: Jon Bartlett fait une description de chants de la Colombie Canadienne collectionnés

Hey, buddy. What would you like to hear?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:50 pm
Thanks for that song Letty <smile>

It reminded me of this one...one of my favorites

Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper "I love you"
Birds singin' in the sycamore trees
Dream a little dream of me

Say nighty-night and kiss me
Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me
While I'm alone and blue as can be

Stars fading but I linger on dear
Still craving your kiss
I'm longin' to linger till dawn dear
Just saying this

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you
But in your dreams whatever they be

(instrumental break)

Stars shining up above you
Night breezes seem to whisper "I love you"
Birds singin' in the sycamore trees

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you
But in your dreams whatever they be

Yes, dream a little dream of me
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:54 pm
Ah, colorbook, I love that song as well, and as synchronicity would have it, I just found out that Hoagy did write the following:

Writer(s): Ned Washington, Hoagy Carmichael

Its not the pale moon that excites me
That thrills and delights me, oh no
Its just the nearness of you

It isnt your sweet conversation
That brings this sensation, oh no
Its just the nearness of you

When youre in my arms and I feel you so close to me
All my wildest dreams come true

I need no soft lights to enchant me
If youll only grant me the right
To hold you ever so tight
And to feel in the night the nearness of you

Wonder whatever happened to Deil Sluss. I swear, how did I remember that kid's name. Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:02 pm
Well, it's time for me to say goodnight to all our radio friends and fans.

Let colorbook's Dream a Little Dream and Hoagy's The Nearness of You be the songs that sing me to sleep.

From Letty with much love
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:18 pm
Letty wrote:
Well, Reyn. This will have to be for our other corner of Europe, Francis, and of course, for you:

B.C.

Résumé: Jon Bartlett fait une description de chants de la Colombie Canadienne collectionnés

Hey, buddy. What would you like to hear?

Hmm, never heard of John Bartlett, but what the heck do I know?

I see I've missed you for tonight. It's that darn 3 hour time difference between us.

Catch ya later....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:57 pm
So how about a little Gershwin tune this evening...

'S wonderful! 'S marvelous!
You should care for me!
'S awful nice! 'S paradise!
'S what I love to see!

You've made my life so glamorous
You can't blame me for feeling amorous
Oh! 'S wonderful! 'S marvelous!
That you should care for me!

'S wonderful! 'S marvelous!
'S awful nice! 'S paradise!
'S what I love to see!

My dear, it's four-leaf clover time
From now on my heart's working overtime
Oh! 'S wonderful! 'S marvelous!
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:27 am
Ralph Vaughan Williams
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Ralph Vaughan Williams, OM (October 12, 1872 - August 26, 1958) was an influential British composer. He was a student at the Royal College of Music and Trinity College, Cambridge and served as a lieutenant in World War I. He wrote nine symphonies between 1910 and 1958 as well as numerous other works including chamber music, opera, choral music and film scores.

Biography

Born in Down Ampney, Gloucestershire, where his father Arthur Vaughan Williams was rector, he was taken by his mother to live with her family at Leith Hill Place, the Wedgwood family home in the North Downs, after his father's early death in 1875. He was also related to the Darwins, Charles Darwin being a great-uncle. Ralph (pronounced "rafe") was therefore born into the privileged intellectual upper middle class, but never took it for granted and worked tirelessly all his life for the democratic and egalitarian ideals he believed in.

After Charterhouse School he attended the Royal College of Music (RCM) under Charles Villiers Stanford. He read history and music at Cambridge, where his friends and contemporaries included the philosophers G. E. Moore and Bertrand Russell. He then returned to the RCM and studied composition with Hubert Parry, who became a close friend. His composing developed slowly and it was not until he was 30 that the song "Linden Lea" became his first publication. He mixed composition with conducting, lecturing and editing other music, notably that of Henry Purcell and the English Hymnal. A big step forward in his style occurred when he studied with Maurice Ravel in Paris.

In 1904 he discovered English folk songs, which were fast becoming extinct owing to the increase of literacy and printed music in rural areas. He collected many himself and edited them. He also incorporated some into his music, being fascinated by the beauty of the music and its anonymous history in the working lives of ordinary people.

In 1909, he composed a setting for a ballet production of Aristophanes' The Wasps, and the next year, he had his first big public successes conducting the premieres of the Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis and A Sea Symphony (Symphony No. 1), and a greater success with A London Symphony (Symphony No. 2) in 1914, conducted by Geoffrey Toye. Although at 40, and as an ex-public schoolboy, he could easily have avoided war service or been commissioned as an officer, he enlisted as a private in the Royal Army Medical Corps and had a gruelling time as a stretcher bearer before being commissioned in the Royal Garrison Artillery. On one occasion he was too ill to stand but continued to direct his battery lying on the ground. Prolonged exposure to gunfire began a process of loss of hearing which was eventually to cause deafness in old age. In 1918 he was appointed Director of Music, First Army and this helped him adjust back into musical life.

After the war he adopted for a while a profoundly mystical style in the Pastoral Symphony (Symphony No. 3) and Flos Campi, a work for viola solo, small orchestra, and wordless chorus. From 1924 a new phase in his music began, characterised by lively cross-rhythms and clashing harmonies. Key works from this period are Toccata marziale, the ballet Old King Cole, the Piano concerto, the oratorio Sancta Civitas (his favourite of his choral works) and the ballet Job (described as "A Masque for Dancing"). This period in his music culminated in the Symphony No. 4 in F minor, first played by the BBC Symphony Orchestra in 1935. Vaughan Williams later made a historic recording of the work. During this period he lectured in America and England, and conducted the Bach Choir and an annual festival at Dorking.

His music now entered a mature lyrical phase, as in the Five Tudor Portraits; the "morality" The Pilgrim's Progress; the Serenade to Music (a setting from act five of The Merchant of Venice, for orchestra and sixteen vocal soloists); and the Symphony No. 5 in D, which he conducted at the Proms in 1943. As he was now 70, many people considered it a swan song, but he renewed himself again and entered yet another period of exploratory harmony and instrumentation. Before his death in 1958 he completed four more symphonies, including No. 7 Sinfonia Antartica, based on his earlier film score for Scott of the Antarctic. He also completed a range of instrumental and choral works, including a Tuba Concerto, An Oxford Elegy on texts of Matthew Arnold and the Christmas cantata Hodie. At his death he left an unfinished Cello Concerto, an opera Thomas the Rhymer and music for a Christmas play, The First Nowell, which was completed by his amanuensis Roy Douglas (b. 1907). He also wrote an arrangement of The Old One Hundredth Psalm Tune for the Coronation Service of Queen Elizabeth II.

Despite his substantial involvement in church music, and the religious subject-matter of many of his works, he was described by his second wife as "an atheist … [who] later drifted into a cheerful agnosticism."

Vaughan Williams is a central figure in British music because of his long career as teacher, lecturer and friend to so many younger composers and conductors. His writings on music remain thought-provoking, particularly his oft-repeated call for everyone to make their own music, however simple, as long as it is truly their own.

He was married twice. His first wife, Adeline Fisher, died in 1951. In 1953 he married the poet Ursula Wood (b. 1911), whom he had known since the late 1930s and with whom he collaborated on a number of vocal works. Ursula later wrote Vaughan Williams's biography RVW: A Biography of Ralph Vaughan Williams, which remains the standard work on his life.

Vaughan Williams appears as a character in Robert Holdstock's novel Lavondyss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Vaughan_Williams
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:56 am
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 03:11 am
Hello evvabody

I am down in deepest Devon for a coupla days as part of my tour of southern England.
Clary is my wonderful hostess here in Totnes, and everything is perfect except for the weather, and the tide is out this afternoon so there are no boats to Dartmouth. I may drive down there by car, though.
Wonderful part of the world, one of my favourites.

Your song for today:

Old England's counties by the sea
From east to west are seven
But the flow'r of that fair galaxy
Is Devon, is Devon
Glorious Devon
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 03:15 am
Dick Gregory

Richard "Dick" Claxton Gregory, born October 12, 1932 in St. Louis, Missouri, is a comedian, social activist, writer and entrepreneur.

Dick Gregory grew up poor and fatherless in St.Louis Missouri, one of six children. His family was supported by his mother who worked on the side as a maid in addition to welfare benefits the family received. As described in his autobiography "Nigger," things were rough for the Gregory family. They were nearly destitute, going without necessitites such as electricity and running water for extended periods of time. As a child, Gregory was very ashamed of his family condition and it made him a target for teasing by other kids. He began using comedy as a way of disarming their attacks. Dick was a poor student but excelled at running, earning him a track scholarship to Southern Illinois University. A track star there, his college career was interupted by Uncle Sam, as he left college to spend two years in the U.S. Army. The military was were he got his start in comedy, entering and winning several Army talent shows at the urging of his commanding officer who noticed his penchant for joking. After his military service, he performed as a comedian in small, primarily black nightclubs. He worked for the United States Postal Service during the daytime. In 1961, he was hired by Hugh Hefner, to work with the Chicago Playboy Club. This is where he began to gather fame. He used the following line to wow an entirely white audience, prompting Hefner to hire him:

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I understand there are a good many southerners in the room tonight. I know the South very well. I spent twenty years there one night.

Last time I was down South I walked into this restaurant and this white waitress came up to me and said, "We don't serve colored people here." I said, "That's all right. I don't eat colored people. Bring me a whole fried chicken."

Then these three white boys came up to me and said, "Boy, we're givin' you fair warnin'. Anything you do to that chicken, we're gonna do to you." So I put down my knife and fork, I picked up that chicken and I kissed it. Then I said, "Line up, Boys!" [1]

In a few years he was known nationally, appearing on television; his autobiography, Nigger, was a best selling book in America, selling 7 million copies. He became more involved in struggles for civil rights, activism against the American War in Vietnam, economic reform, anti-drug issues, conspiracy theories, and others. As a part of his activism, he went on several hunger strikes.

Dick Gregory unsuccessfully ran for president of the United States in 1968 as a write-in candidate. He wrote Write Me In about that political campaign. In recent years he has been a figure in the health food industry.

Dick Gregory the comedian and civil rights leader became better known as Dick Gregory the nutrition guru during the 1980's. Gregory first became a vegetarian in the 1960's. He lost a considerable amount of weight by going on extreme fasts, some lasting upwards of 50 days and he began advocating for a raw fruit and vegetable diet. In the 80's he developed a diet drink called "Bahamian Diet Nutritional Drink" and went on TV shows advocating for his diet and to help the morbidly obese. He is probably best remebered for his attempts, chronicled in the media on daytime talkshows in early 1988, at helping 1200 pound Long Island man Walter Hudson drop nearly 600 pounds in only a few months on a liquid diet. Mr. Hudson shortly gained the weight back and later died from complications from his extreme obesity. Nonetheless Gregory claims his restrictive diet has kept him in good health and continues to advocate for a natural diet lifestyle.

In early June 2005, during the late stages of 2005 trial of Michael Jackson, he was invited by Jackson's father, Joseph Jackson to advise Jackson's on his health. On June 4th, Gregory brought a blood-circulating machine to Jackson's house, but Jackson refused to use it.

Gregory married his wife, Lillian, in the 1960s, and they now have ten children. As of 2005, he resides in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Gregory is a prominent member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., the first intercollegiate Greek-letter fraternity established for African Americans.

At a Civil Rights rally marking the 40th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act, Gregory trashed the United States, calling it "the most dishonest, ungodly, unspiritual nation that ever existed in the history of the planet. As we talk now, America is 5 percent of the world's population and consumes 96 percent of the world's hard drugs," Gregory said. [2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Gregory
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 03:18 am
Hi, McTag! Haven't seen you since the Devonian ages!
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 03:40 am
Luciano Pavarotti

The Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti (born October 12, 1935), is one of the most famous living singers, not only in the world of opera, but across all genres.

Luciano Pavarotti was born in Modena, Italy. His father, a gifted amateur singer, was a baker. Pavarotti made his operatic debut on April 29, 1961, as Rodolfo in La bohème, at the opera house in Reggio Emilia. This is his signature role. His American debut came in February 1965, in Lucia di Lammermoor with Joan Sutherland in Miami.

His major breakthrough in the United States came on February 17, 1972, in a production of Donizetti's La fille du régiment at New York's Metropolitan Opera, in which he drove the crowd into a frenzy with his nine effortless high Cs in the signature aria. He achieved a record 17 curtain calls. From then on he began to make frequent television performances, such as in his role as Rodolfo in the first Live from the Met telecast in March of 1977, which attracted one of the largest audiences ever for a televised opera. He has won many Grammy awards and platinum and gold discs for his performances.

Pavarotti's pivotal step in becoming an internationally known celebrity occured in 1990 when his rendition of Giacomo Puccini's aria, "Nessun Dorma" (from Turandot) became the theme song of the 1990 FIFA World Cup in Italy. The aria achieved pop status and has, to date, remained his trademark song. This was followed by the hugely successful Three Tenors concert held on the eve of the World Cup final at the ancient Baths of Caracalla in Rome with fellow tenors, Placido Domingo and José Carreras and conductor Zubin Mehta, which became the biggest selling classical record of all time. Throughout the 1990s, Pavarotti appeared in many well-attended outdoor concerts, his televised concert in London's Hyde Park being the first concert in the history of the park featuring classical music, drawing a record attendance of 150,000. In June 1993, more than 500,000 listeners gathered for his performance on the Great Lawn of New York's Central Park, while millions more around the world watched on television. The following September in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, he sang for an estimated crowd of 300,000. Following on from the original 1990 concert, there have been subsequent Three Tenors concerts held during the Football World Cups; in Los Angeles in 1994, in Paris in 1998, and in Yokohama in 2002. The recordings and videos of these concerts have out-sold those by Elvis Presley and the Rolling Stones.

Pavarotti also annually hosts the "Pavarotti and Friends" charity concerts in his home town of Modena in Italy, joining with singers from all parts of the music industry to raise money for several worthy UN causes. Past concerts have been held for Bosnia, Guatemala & Kosovo, the War Child and Iraq.

In 2002 Pavarotti split with his manager of 36 years Herbert Breslin. The break up, which was acrimonious, was followed in 2004 with the publication of a book by Breslin entitled 'The King & I', seen by many as largely critical and sensationalist, of the singers acting (in opera), his ability to read music and learn parts, and of his personal conduct, although acknowledging their mutual success. In an interview in 2005 with Jeremy Paxman on the BBC Pavarotti rejected the allegation that he could not read music, although acknowledging he sometimes had difficulty following orchestral parts.

He received Kennedy Center Honors in 2001 and currently holds two Guinness World Records: one, for receiving the most curtain calls at 165; and two, for the best selling classical album (this album is 'In Concert' by The Three Tenors and is thus shared by fellow tenors, Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras).

More recently he married his assistant, who bore him twins, one of whom (Alice) survives. He was a close friend to the late Diana, Princess of Wales. They raised money for the elimination of land mines worldwide. He was invited to sing at her funeral service, but declined, as he felt he could not sing well "with his grief in his throat". He started his farewell tour in 2004, at the age of 69, performing one last time in old and new locations, after over 4 decades on the stage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luciano_Pavarotti
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:40 am
Good morning, WA2K fans and contributors. It is wonderfully peaceful here, and the quiet is welcome.

Reyn, I didn't realize that there was a three hour difference between the states and British Columbia. I will do my best to give you more info on that other Bartlett guy. <smile>

C.J. Gershwin is always a great choice to play any time of day. Thanks gal for that "wonderful" song.

McTag, I thought you were in India until Francis pointed out otherwise. Give Clary our best, Brit, and that short and sweet Devon song was neat.

Bob, Dick Gregory's book was quite a revelation, and I was captivated reading it. Of course, we all are familiar with the three tenors, Boston, but I , for one, wasn't familiar with the other two notables.

Back later, listeners, after something warm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:55 am
Amarillo By Morning - George Strait
(Normally I don't listen to this guy, but this song I like)

Amarillo by morning, up from san antone.
Everything that I've got is just what I've got on.
When that sun is high in that texas sky
I'll be bucking it to county fair.
Amarillo by morning, amarillo I'll be there.

They took my saddle in houston, broke my leg in santa fe.
Lost my wife and a girlfriend somewhere along the way.
Well I'll be looking for eight when they pull that gate,
And I'm hoping that judge ain't blind.
Amarillo by morning, amarillo's on my mind.

Amarillo by morning, up from san antone.
Everything that I've got is just what I've got on.
I ain't got a dime, but what I got is mine.
I ain't rich, but lord I'm free.
Amarillo by morning, amarillo's where I'll be.
Amarillo by morning, amarillo's where I'll be.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:09 am
Francis wrote:
Hi, McTag! Haven't seen you since the Devonian ages!

Yes, hello, quite a lot of interesting rocks around these here parts.

I saw Stonehenge, too, for the first time in my life, as I drove past Salisbury Plain coming over yesterday. Quite awe-inspiring, even on a sunny afternoon and seen from the road.

Now, having had lunch, off to Dartmouth!

Later. McT
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:28 am
Ah, listeners, there's our edgar. Thanks for the morning song, Texas.

And, folks, when Reyn awakens, we'll direct him here:

http://www.thefestival.bc.ca/archive/index.cfm?perID=805

Haven't seen our Yitwail in our studio in a while, so I thought we should dedicate a song to him:

Cream Lyrics
Song: I Feel Free Lyrics

Bo bo bo bo bo bo
Bo bo bo bo bo bo, I feel free
Hmmm....

Feel when I dance with you
We move like the sea
You, you're all I want to know
I feel free (3X)

I can walk down the street there's no one there
Though, the pavements are one huge crowd
I can drive down the road, my eyes don't see
Though my mind wants to cry out loud

Ahhh...
I feel free (3X)

I can walk down the street there's no one there
Though, the pavements are one huge crowd
I can drive down the road, my eyes don't see

Dance floor is like the sea
Ceiling is the sky
You're the sun, and as you shine on me
I feel free, I feel free, I feel free

Ahhhh...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:34 am
McTag wrote:

Now, having having had lunch, off to Dartmouth!

Indeed, prison food isn't a gourmet menu from the deli.
Well, if you need a nice probation officer afterwards ... Laughing
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:44 am
Good Day WA2K and listeners.

Today's birthdays are:

1008 - Emperor Go-Ichijō, emperor of Japan (d. 1036)
1359 - Dmitry Donskoy, Grand Prince of Moscovia and Prince of Vladimir (d. 1389)
1490 - Bernardo Pisano, Italian composer (d. 1548)
1537 - King Edward VI of England (d. 1553)
1558 - Archduke Maximilian III of Austria (d. 1618)
1576 - Thomas Dudley, Massachusetts colonial magistrate (d. 1653)
1602 - William Chillingworth, English churchman (d. 1644)
1801 - Friedrich Frey-Herosé, Swiss Federal Councilor (d. 1873)
1840 - Helena Modrzejewska, Polish-American actress (d. 1909)
1860 - Elmer Sperry, American inventor (d. 1930)
1865 - Arthur Harden, English chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1940)
1866 - Ramsay MacDonald, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1937)
1872 - Ralph Vaughan Williams, English composer (d. 1958)
1875 - Aleister Crowley, English occultist and author (d. 1947)
1896 - Eugenio Montale, Italian poet (d. 1981)
1904 - Ding Ling, Chinese writer (d. 1986)
1906 - Joe Cronin, baseball player (d. 1984)
1908 - Ann Petry, American novelist (d. 1997)
1919 - Doris Miller, African American cook in the United States Navy (d. 1943)
1923 - Jean Nidetch, founder of Weight Watchers
1924 - Doris Grau, American actress (d. 1995)
1932 - Dick Gregory, American comedian and activist
1935 - Luciano Pavarotti, Italian tenor
1944 - Angela Rippon, British television personality
1950 - Susan Anton, American actress
1950 - Kaga Takeshi, Japanese actor
1953 - Serge Lepeltier, French politician
1953 - Les Dennis, British comedian and television presenter
1955 - Ante Gotovina, Croatian general
1968 - Hugh Jackman, Australian actor and singer
1968 - Adam Rich, American actor
1969 - Martie Maguire, American musician (Dixie Chicks)
1970 - Kirk Cameron, American actor
1974 - Stephen Lee, English snooker player
1975 - Marion Jones, American athlete
1976 - Sarah Lane, American television personality
1970 - Tanyon Sturtze, Baseball Player
1979 - Jordan Pundik, American singer (New Found Glory)
1982 - Molly Bennett, Irish folk singer
http://www.ones2watch4.com/jackman_hugh/gallery/hugh_title_image.jpghttp://www.onlineseats.com/upload/theater/91_the_luciano.gif
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:46 am
Well, there's our Walter, folks, with a warning for McTag. My goodness, Germany, did our Brit steal stones from the henge? Razz

International news update:

MUZAFFARABAD, Pakistan (AP) - Helicopters flying in clear skies delivered aid to earthquake survivors Wednesday, a day after rain and hail grounded efforts. Relief supplies poured into Pakistan from about 30 countries, including from longtime archrival India.

Rescuers pulled a dust-covered 5-year-old from the rubble, a shot of good news as hopes faded of finding other earthquake survivors. "I want to drink," the girl whispered.

Zarabe Shah's neighbors on Tuesday recovered the bodies of her father and two of her sisters. Her mother and another two sisters survived.

Many bodies were still buried beneath leveled buildings, and the United Nations warned of the threat of measles, cholera and diarrhea outbreaks among the millions of survivors.

The world is at war with nature, listeners.
0 Replies