WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:19 pm
Ah, there's our Boo back. Well, I love Miles and his Around Midnight, but what about Clifford Brown, buddy?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:24 pm
Across The Alley From The Alamo - The Mills Brothers

[Written by Joe Greene]

Across the alley from the Alamo
Lived a pinto pony and a Navajo
Who sang a sort of Indian "Hi-de-ho"
To the people passin' by

The pinto spent his time a-swishin' flies
And the Navajo watched the lazy skies
And very rarely did they ever rest their eyes
On the people passin' by

One day, they went a-walkin' along the railroad track
They were swishin' not a-lookin', toot, toot
They never came back

Oh, across the alley from the Alamo
When the summer sun decides to settle low
A fly sings an Indian "Hi-de-ho"
To the people passing by

Lived a pinto pony and a Navajo
Who used to bake frijoles in cornmeal dough
For the people passing by

They thought that they would make some easy bucks
By washin' their frijoles in Duz and Lux
A pair of very conscientious clucks
To the people passin' by

Then they took this cheap vacation
Their shoes were polished bright
No, they never heard the whistle, toot, toot
They're clear out of sight

When the starlight beams its tender glow
The beams go to sleep and then there ain't no dough
For the people passin' by

One day, they went a-walkin' along the railroad track
They were swishin' not a-lookin', toot, toot
They never came back

When the summer sun decides to settle low
A fly sings an Indian "Hi-de-ho"
To the people passin' by
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:31 pm
One of the most amazing things about Blackbeard was he acquired his notoriety in only two years.

Blackbeard (1680? - November 22, 1718) was the nickname of Edward Teach alias Edward Thatch, a notorious English pirate who had a short reign of terror in the Caribbean Sea between 1716 and 1718. His final and best known vessel, Queen Anne's Revenge, is believed to have run ashore near what is now Beaufort's Inlet, North Carolina in 1718.

Blackbeard often fought with, or simply showed himself wearing, multiple swords, knives, and pistols, and was notorious for weaving hemp and lighted matches into his enormous black beard during battle. This image, which he cultivated, has made him the premier image of the seafaring pirate.

Little is known about his early life, though it is believed he was born in Bristol, England in 1680. His career began as a seaman on privateers sailing out of Jamaica during the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1713), and later served aboard a Jamaican ship commanded by the pirate, Benjamin Hornigold, whom he met at New Providence in 1716. He was eventually made a captain while serving under Hornigold when, near the island of Martinique, they captured the French slave ship La Concorde out of Nantes, on November 28, 1717. According to the French governor of the island, "Edoard Titche" commanded two boats of English pirates, one of 12 and the other of 8 guns, with 250 men. La Concorde was a prize: a 300-ton frigate armed with 40 cannons, which had ranged the west coast of Africa, taking English, Dutch and Portuguese ships. Teach renamed it Queen Anne's Revenge.

Hornigold now retired, taking advantage of an amnesty extended to privateers.

In the following two years Teach acquired a fearsome reputation for cruelty after repeatedly preying on shipping and coastal settlements of the West Indies and the Atlantic coast of North America. A running duel with the British 30-gunned man-of-war HMS Scarborough added to his notoriety.

He would raid merchant ships, coming up on them in major channels and forcing them to allow him and his crew to board their ship. Teach and his men would take all of the valuables, food, liquor, and weapons from the ship and if there was no resistance, let the merchant ship go. On ships which resisted, all aboard were killed.

Teach kept headquarters in both the Bahamas and the Carolinas. He lived on the island of Nassau where he was named the Magistrate of the "Privateers Republic". The governor of North Carolina, Charles Eden, received booty from Teach in return for unofficial protection and gave him an official pardon. He was forced to leave Nassau by Royal Governor Woodes Rogers when the island was raided and all pirate occupants were either killed or driven out.

Despite this setback, Teach went back to piracy after a few weeks. As his violent raids increased, the citizens of North Carolina lost patience and sent an appeal to the governor of Virginia, Alexander Spottswood. Spottswood replied by sending troops to hunt him down.

Because Blackbeard operated in littoral waters with shallow-bottomed ships, it was difficult for ships of the line to engage him in battle. Two smaller, hired sloops were therefore put under the command of Lieutenant Robert Maynard, Captain of the HMS Pearl, with instructions to hunt down and destroy Blackbeard. Maynard sailed from James River on November 17, 1718, and found the pirates in an North Carolina inlet on November 21st. Blackbeard and his crew of twenty-five were surprised by the pursuit. At first, Blackbeard's superior knowledge of the inlet allowed him to maneuver freely while the English ships frequently grounded. Eventually, however, Blackbeard's own sloop ran aground. Rather than engaging in battle at a distance, he used his first broadside as the English boarded, killing 29 men and disabling one sloop.

Maynard, aboard the other sloop, lightened his ship and brought it close enough that he and his men could board Blackbeard's sloop. Despite the best efforts of the pirates (including a desperate plan to blow up their own ship), Blackbeard was killed and the battle ended. Teach was shot 5 times and stabbed more than 20 times before he died and was decapitated by Robert Maynard. His head was then placed as a trophy on the bowsprit of their ship.

Legend has romanticized Blackbeard. Many popular contemporary engravings show him with the smoking lit ends of his pigtails and the pistols stuck in his bandoliers, and he has been the subject of books, movies, and documentaries. He acquired immense wealth in his predatory voyages, and was accustomed to burying his treasures in the banks of creeks and rivers. In times as desperate and difficult as the American Revolution, it was common for the ignorant, credulous, and desperate to dig along these banks in search of hidden treasures; impostors found an ample basis in these current rumors for schemes of delusion. His ship is believed to have been discovered near Beaufort, North Carolina in 1996, and is now part of a major tourist attraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbeard
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:32 pm
Hey Letty,
.....I really haven't heard a lot by CB, but what I heard Liked. He Preceded Miles. He had a career shortened by by death, and was in the Be-Bop era. In fact he was called "Charlie Parker on a trumpet".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:44 pm
edgar's Alley from the Alamo, reminded me of this song:

NOTE: Monterrey Mexico is spelled with 2 "r"s. Monterey California is speled with one "r"

It Happened In Monterrey
John Boles

Verse:
In my imagination I'm finding consolation
Somewhere along the Rio Grande.
Sadly I'm reminiscing, madly again I'm kissing
Someone along the Rio Grande.

Chorus:
It happened in Monterrey a long time ago.
I met her in Monterey in old Mexico.
Stars and steel guitars and luscious lips as red as wine
Broke somebody's heart and I'm afraid that it was mine.

It happened in Monterrey without thinking twice.
I left her and threw away the Key to Paradise.
My indiscreet heart longs for the sweetheart
That I left in old Monterrey.

(chorus repeats)

Transcribed by Loren Richards

Wow! Bob, thanks for that great info. We had a friend who was a professor who bought a cottage in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and called it "Teach's Place". <smile>

Hey, Boo. They are learned from each other, bro. I'll do some searching and see if I can find the bird man, and Clifford.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:45 pm
er, listeners, make that "they ALL learned from each other" Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 05:54 pm
While I'm on a role, let me share a couple of anecdotes about musicans of that era and the respect they had for each other:

.....It was said, Miles asked the co-creator of Bop, Dizzy Gillespie," Why cant I hit the high notes you do?" Diz said, "Son, it's only because you can't hear all the notes I do"

.....John Coltrane started out on the alto sax. And obviously, even at his young age, he had intentions of being the best, on his "ax". Why?...Because it is said he went to see Charlie Parker play one night, and immediatly decided to become a tenor saxist, Very Happy
.....I can empathize with JC. Years ago I went to San Francisco to make myself a drummer. I was in the woodshed about 4 months, Became adept at all the basic rudiments, and my rhythmn was that of a metronome. I was ready too get paid! Cool So I celebrated by going to Keystone Corners, and watching Art Blakely. From my table, a few feet from Art, I listened. and watched him do things no human hands should be able to do. I left the club went back to my hotel, and set up all night practising, and telling myself, "Boy, you don't know sh@t" Shocked Embarrassed
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:07 pm
Clifford Brown, known as Brownie, died tragically in an auto accident at age 25, along with pianist Richie Powell, brother of the great pianist Bud Powell, and his wife Nancy Powell. I highly recommend the CD "the Beginning and the End" which features some of his first & last recorded performances. in particular, he plays the bebop standard "Donna Lee", credited to Charlie Parker, but actually put together by Miles Davis from a solo by another trumpeter who died young, Fats Navarro, as fast as anyone could possibly play it. when the record was first released, it was advertised as containing a recording of his performance on the night of his death, but i just read on the internet that it was actually recorded a year earlier. regardless, the performance is immortal. although he died so young, he lives on in a sense in the work of trumpeters who emulated him, notably Freddie Hubbard, long-associated with the Jazz Messengers, who in turn influenced Wynton Marsalis, the most prominent jazz trumpeter of the present. i hope i don't sound too academic; i mainly want to encourage listeners to discover Clifford Brown, if they haven't done so already.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:17 pm
Don't apologize......that's great stuff....Didn't Brownie do a lot of work with Max Roach?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:18 pm
Fantastic, back later. Blue crab and macaroni salad time
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:24 pm
Sweet love story.

LaRue Brown Watson

When I met Clifford, I was a music snob. I was writing my thesis in which I was trying to prove that jazz was not a form of art. Clifford and I debated the subject often. Can you believe I actually told Clifford Brown that he could not play? I even strongly recommended that he stick to ballads and the Raphael Mendez songs that he used to practice breathing and fingering. Clifford was patient with me but stuck to his belief in the music. In order to break the stalemate, I decided to take him to visit my music (classical of course) teacher. I was sure he could convince Clifford that the fast paced, dissonant racket was not music. When my teacher answered the door, he said, "Is this who I think it is?" He hugged Clifford and took him inside.

I was left standing on the porch...crushed!! When I went inside, I asked my man if he knew of Clifford and what he thought of his playing. His answer was "This man is a musical genius! You don't understand the complexity of this music. Your music is formal, structured, this music is pure soul, free flowing." In a state of total disbelief, I started to really listen to the music. I asked Clifford questions and finally I was able to hear MUSIC. I also discovered that Max had not been referring to Clifford's physical beauty. He had recognized the beauty that dwelled within and exuded from him.

Another shocker happened during the time Clifford was educating me. We found that we not only respected each other and shared a valuable friendship, we were also in love.

One starlit evening we went to Santa Monica Beach. Clifford was playing with the sounds of the Pacific Ocean accompanying him. The music was lovely! The tune was one that he had just written and I was hearing for the first time. He called it "LaRue". He asked me to marry his music and him.

And Miles. Unique. I was just thinking about him and wanting to hear In a Silent Way. Now I think I'll go find it. See y'all later.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:32 pm
that's a magical story, but Clifford Brown was pretty magical. when greats and near greats around him, like Charlie Parker and Fats Navarro were dying from their addictions, and too many others, like Miles, Coltrane, Bill Evans, and Stan Getz to name a few, were abusing substances, Clifford Brown was content making great music. booman, you're right about Max Roach; hard bop was pretty much invented by Brown and Roach, with valuable assistance from Art Blakey & Horace Silver.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:42 pm
Well, folks. This is our jazz hour on WA2K radio. Fantastic exchanges between Yit, Diane, and Boo.

I don't want to seem pompous, listeners, but I have a photo from Birdland signed by Art Blakey: "Nothing but the Soul." Razz

Trouble is, I was too young too appreciate it. Rolling Eyes

Jeff Goldblum and Forest Whitaker (sp) did a movie called "Lush Life". Very strange movie, but Whitaker had Clifford Brown's trumpet. Check it out, sometimes, Jazz fans.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:15 pm
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:38 pm
I had a tape of the Movie "Bird". Forest played Bird.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:43 pm
The Little Death
Boomtown Rats

So I turned on the radio and everyone was
listening to chicken jazz...

See that man over there...
He's got cold feet
He'd march to the drum
But the drummer's
Dead beat
He's fragile tonight
But he says he's clean
He's uncertain when he's speaking
But he knows what he means
Ah he's shivering now
But he don't look cold
He say
Turn up the weather
So I do as I'm told
Do you know about empty
Die a little inside
Cos he hasn't lived until he's died
You couldn't have lived until you've tried
He hasn't lived until he's died

The Little Death...

See that woman over there
She got cold feet
She'd march to the drum
But the drummer's
Dead beat
She reach for the sky
But the sky turn black
She hanging by her nails
but her knuckles just cracked
She said, "It's strange but nice to have no
future or past
If you can't stand the heat
you just turn up the gas"
I nod as if I know she can't say I haven't tried
Cos she hasn't lived until she's died
you couldn't have lived until you've tried
She hasn't lived until she's died

The Little Death...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:03 pm
The Unicorn - The Irish Rovers

A long time ago
When the earth was still green
There were more kinds of animals
Than you've ever seen
They'd run around free
While the earth was being born
The loveliest of all was the Unicorn

There was green alligators
And long-necked geese
Some humpty-backed camels
And some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants
But sure as you're born

Now God seen some sinnin'
And it gave Him pain
And He said, Stand back
I'm going to make it rain
He said, Hey, brother Noah
I'll tell you what to do
Build me a floating zoo

And take some of them green alligators
And long-necked geese
Some humpty-backed camelsand some chimpanzees
But sure as you're born
Don't you forget my Unicorn

Old Noah was there to answer the call
He finished up making the Ark
Just as the rain started fallin'
He marched in the animals two by two
And he called out as they went through
Hey, Lord
I've got yer

Green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty-backed camels and some chimpanzees
But Lord, I'm so forlorn
I just can't see no Unicorn

Old Noah looked out into the driving rain
Them Unicorns was hiding
Playing silly games
Kicking and splashing
While the rain was pouring
Oh, them silly Unicorns

There was green alligators
And long-necked geese
And some chimpanzees
But sure as you're born

The Ark started movin'
It drifted with the tide
Them Unicorns looked up
From the rock and they cried
And the waters came down
And sorta floated them away
That's why you'll never see a Unicorn
To this very day

You'll see green alligators
And long-necked geese
And some chimpanzees
But sure as you're born
You're never gonna see no Unicorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:27 pm
I'm in Love Again - Fats Domino
Yes it's me and I'm in love again
Had no lovin' since you know when
You know I love you, yes I do
And I'm saving all my lovin' just for you

Need your lovin' and I need it bad
Just like a dog when he's goin' mad
Woo-ee baby, woo-oo-ee
Baby won't you give your love to me?

Eenie meenie and miney-mo
Told me you'd'n't want me around no more
Woo-ee baby, woo-oo-ee
Baby don't you let your dog bite me

Yes it's me and I'm in love again
Had no lovin' since you know when
You know I love, you yes I do
And I'm saving all my lovin' just for you

Eenie, meenie, and miney-mo
Told me you'd'n't want me around no more
Woo-ee baby, woo-oo-ee
Baby don't you let your dog bite me
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 10:37 pm
Sorry I didn't get around to a weather repprt today. For tonight, I'll repeat George Carlin's, "Tonight the forcast is dark."

I'll say goodnight with a little Nina Simone.

*Mississippi Goddam*
Nina Simone

The name of this tune is Mississippi Goddam
And I mean every word of it
Alabama's gotten me so upset
Tennessee made me lose my rest
And everybody knows about Mississippi Goddam
Alabama's gotten me so upset
Tennessee made me lose my rest
And everybody knows about Mississippi Goddam
Can't you see it
Can't you feel it