WA2K Radio is now on the air

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 01:05 am
And why do the French have the expression "de bonne heure"? Laughing

I really like it at about time in Paris, btw: having a coffee and a croissant in a just opened café, watching the other first customers, the delivery cars, the streets being cleaning (mostly get wet by that :wink: ), ... ... :wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 01:14 am
I agree, Walter, going out "de bonne heure" in Paris, is something one must live, at least, once...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 04:34 am
Just Walking In The Rain - Johnnie Ray

Just walking in the rain
Getting soaking wet
Torturing my heart
By trying to forget

Just walking in the rain
So alone and blue
All because my heart
Still remembers you

People come to windows
They always stare at me
Shaking their heads in sorrow
Saying, who can that fool be

Just walking in the rain
Thinking how we met
Knowing things could change
Somehow I can't forget

(Just walking in the rain)
(Walking in the rain)
(Walking in the rain)
(Just walking in the rain)
(All day I)

People come to their windows
They always stare at me
Their shaking their heads in sorrow
Saying, who can that fool be
(Now who can he be)

Just walking in the rain
(Walking in the rain)
Thinking how we met
(Walking in the rain)
Knowing things could change
(Walking in the rain)
Somehow I can't forget
(Walking in the rain)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:45 am
Good morning WA2K radio.

We would like to welcome Calamity Jane to our studios and also thank her for that soothing song.

Walter, I tried to decipher your song and did rather well considering that it is early for me. Isn't it always the way, listeners, that when you have to do something at an early hour, no hour seems to be good?

Ah, Francis, I always loved to use the expression "safe in the arms of morpheus", until I found out that the reference was to morphine. <smile>

And here is our edgar up and walking in the rain with Johnny Ray. Thank you, Texas.

It seems to me that a new storm has been named somewhere in the Pacific, but nothing is sure until I have coffee.

Let's all hope that our Panz will show up soon and tell us about his Coleman Hawkins collection.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:27 am
Letty wrote:
...until I found out that the reference was to morphine. <smile>

Usually, we have not such connotation here...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:36 am
Francis, I'm certain that the phrase has shades of meaning in every country, but it really doesn't matter, as long as we know that it means peaceful sleep.

Thought for Today: ``There could be no honor in a sure success, but much might be wrested from a sure defeat.'' - T.E. Lawrence, English soldier and author (1888-1935).

05/18/05 20:00
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:04 am
My word, listeners, I cannot believe how certain things come to fruition. Take a look at this combo, folks:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mostly known as the man behind the acclaimed, trend-setting Freezone series, and as the host of his own radio shows (aired on several cutting-edge European stations), DJ Morpheus is a man with a rich musical history. He started out as a teenage poet as he was quite infatuated with the works of the Beat Generation and published a book of poetry.

In the mid-Eighties he was the lead singer and main lyricist with cult band Minimal Compact, whose Middle-Eastern-tinged dance/new wave exerted a strong influence, both in Europe and in America, where a couple of their 12" became absolute anthems in the underground clubs. 20 years on, it's happening all over again, as several leading DJs (such as James Murphy/LCD Soundsystems, Playgroup, Ivan Smagghe & more) are raving about "Next One Is Real", "Statik Dancin" and other Minimal Compact vintage favourites.

After the demise of Minimal Compact, Samy started the Gruesome Twosome project, enlisting the help of collaborators such as Frenchman Bertrand Burgalat (who worked on a bunch of Mute releases and ghost-wrote several Laibach albums, and who has recently become the king of French lounge music), Norwegian Per Martinsen (aka Mental Overdrive/Chilluminati), and Orb member Thrash. The first Gruesome Twosome 12" "Hallucination Generation" (which incidentally was one of the first releases on Crammed's then-fledgling dance division SSR) came out in 1989, a groundbreaking, slamming breakbeat track which once again became a cult club track, and made it into all the influential dance charts (from underground tipsheets to Billboard).

Samy then decided to stop using his voice for music-making purposes, and recorded a last album of sung poetry ("When God Was Famous") in which he paid tribute to Yeats, Hermann Hesse, Malcolm Lowry, Boris Vian, Delmore Schwartz, Kenneth Patchen, Gottfried Benn, Paul Celan, Eluard and his other childhood heroes. Meanwhile, he kept indulging in his favourite vice, i.e. collecting rare, obscure and marvelous vinyl records.

In 1994, Samy reincarnated as DJ Morpheus... his above-mentioned vice transmuted as a virtue as he was invited to share A&R duties for SSR with his long-time friend (and Crammed boss) Marc Hollander, and took the controls of freestyle electronic series Freezone. Thanks to Samy's immense knowledge and flair, the Freezone series rapidly became one of the world's most respected and most enjoyable collections : each of its yearly installments has unfailingly been documenting the most interesting new trends, introduced up-and-coming cutting-edge acts (just think that acts like DJ Cam, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Photek, Abacus, T-Power, The Mighty Bop aka Bob Sinclar and The Ballistic Brothers all appeared on Vol.2 - in April 95 !), and offered exclusive tracks by high-profile artists (from Howie B to Coldcut, Carl Craig, Basement Jaxx, 4 Hero, Josh Wink, Plaid, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Alex Gopher, they're too numerous to list).

Morpheus started a weekly radio show in Brussels around 94. Tapes of his strange, late-night sessions were passed around, and he was offered a weekly spot on prestigious Parisian station Radio Nova. These days he still does sessions on Nova from time to time, has a weekly program on Brussels' Radio Campus, and he's regularly guesting on various shows arouns the world, such as Gilles Peterson's Worldwide, 4 Hero's (on Kiss FM), Coldcut's (on BBC London), Paul Thomas (Radio One), Couleur 3 (Switzerland), KCRW (USA), FG and Le Mouv' (France) and many more.

His live DJ career started in 95 when he was invited to play at a big R&S party in Ghent. Since that almost-accidental start, Morpheus has been performing in major clubs and festivals on five continents (see list below).

True to the nature of his namesake (Morpheus is the Greek god of sleep), Samy's early sets featured mostly music of the downtempo/chill variety, but very quickly he's started mixing hip hop with house, drum'n'bass and breakbeats, while always looking for the most original and inventive tunes in each genre, thus earning him the dangerous honour of being considered as 'one of the originators of freestyle ("dangerous" because, to this day, dance music is sadly -and relatively tightly- compartimentalized, divided, pigeonholed... silly as it may seem, followers of the various churches, erm, clubs generally don't like it when borders are trespassed...). Morpheus has received the Ibiza Award for Best Chill Out DJ in 2000.

Freezone aside, Morpheus has put together a handful of other, excellent compilations for SSR, including "If You Can't Beat'Em, Break'Em", "Phax & Phixion" (the latter came out in late 98 and was hailed as one of the best compilation of underground US hip hop) and most recently "In My Bag".

In 2003, he worked with El Diablo, a percussion group from La Reunion (6 percu.+ singer & backing vocals) who plays raggamaloya stuff. He went there twice to work with them playing electronic dance music records (d.j) fusing with their music : they did 6 concerts together in La Reunion and a further two concerts in France (in dec. 03 at the Transmusicales in Rennes and the Africolor festival in Paris).
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:12 am
How can this Morpheuous guy be so awake?...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:24 am
And therein lies the mystery, Francis. I never heard of him before, but I thought the fact that he was a dj; a poet, and a musician was quite interesting.

Well, folks, I must be off to an appointment with our cardiologist, and if I don't get lost, I'll be back on the air in a bit.

(edited to correct stupidity)
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:47 am
Good Day to All:
(Hope all goes well at the Cardiologist, Letty. Let us know, please.)

May 19 birthdays:

1861 Nellie Melba, opera singer (Australia; died 1931)
1890 Ho Chi Minh, North Vietnamese president and Communist leader (Kim Lien, Vietnam; died 1969)
1925 Malcolm X (Little), black nationalist leader and civil rights activist (Omaha, NE; died 1965)
1930 Lorraine Hansberry, playwright (Chicago, IL; died 1965)
1934 Jim Lehrer, TV journalist/author (Wichita, KS)
1935 David Hartman, actor/TV personality (Pawtucket, RI)
1939 James Fox, actor (London, England)
Francis Scobee, astronaut who died in the Challenger explosion (Cle Elum, WA; died 1986)
1939 Nancy Kwan Hong Kong, actress (Flower Drum Song, World of Suzie Wong)
1941 Nora Ephron, writer/director (New York, NY)
James P. Hoffa, labor leader (Detroit, MI)
1945 Pete Townshend, musician/singer/member of the Who and writer (Chiswick, England)
1947 David Helfgott, pianist (Melbourne, Australia)
1952 Grace Jones, model/actress/singer (Spanishtown, Jamaica)
1957 Bill Laimbeer, basketball player (Boston, MA)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:13 am
Letty wrote:
Ah, Francis, I always loved to use the expression "safe in the arms of morpheus", until I found out that the reference was to morphine. <smile>

The other way round, surely? Morpheus is the god of the sleeping world.

Letty, you may safely use that expression, a very elegant one, if I may say so. No reference to the drug may be implied by its use.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:07 pm
Ah sweet Letty, I've been remiss in my weather reporting and in my posting on a2k. After our trip to Europe, I found myself catching up and doing things other than a2k--and I've missed you all very much. Hi McTag and Francis!

On this beautiful spring day, here is a poem rather than a weather report...
The naked earth is warm with Spring,
And with green grass and bursting trees
Leans to the sun's kiss glorying,
And quivers in the sunny breeze.
~Julian Grenfell

I hope all of you have had a beautiful day.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:46 pm
Hello, Diane, Alba lady!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 01:40 pm
Huhu, Diane - I'm here as well - remember me, too? :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 02:14 pm
Will you please take your towel off this deckchair? I've got a headache, and I want to lie down.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 02:21 pm
McTag wrote:
Will you please take your towel off this deckchair?

No, I'm German, and this one is reserved by me for tomorrow.

England 5, Germany 4 in deckchair contest - we are better now in 2005!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 02:44 pm
McTag wrote:
Letty wrote:

The other way round, surely? Morpheus is the god of the sleeping world.

Letty, you may safely use that expression, a very elegant one, if I may say so. No reference to the drug may be implied by its use.

Slightly wrong there, not uncommon for me. I found this:

Morpheus is the Greek god of dreams. He lies on a ebony bed in a dim-lit cave, surrounded by poppy. He appears to humans in their dreams in the shape of a man. He is responsible for shaping dreams, or giving shape to the beings which inhabit dreams. Morpheus, known from Ovid's Metamorphoses, plays no part in Greek mythology. His name means "he who forms, or molds" (from the Greek morphe), and is mentioned as the son of Hypnos, the god of sleep. 'Morphine' is derived from his name.

Morpheus is the son of Somnus, god of sleep.

I feel quite somnabulent now. I shall retire early this evening.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:32 pm
Letty is back on the air briefly just to thank you all for your contributions and to say that it was my husband with the emergency.

Later, my friends.

From Letty with love.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 04:06 pm
as "they" said in both London and Lippstadt, "It was very nice meeting Diane."
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 04:24 pm
Letty, good news that Bud is OK. Whew!

Did Dys tell any of you his story of the sea of deck chairs in Torremolinos, filled with middle-aged, naked women. He didn't quite know where to look, wending his way through the crowd.

Francis, who is Alba? I think it means white, which is the color of a lot of my hair which will be totally white in a few years. Coming from you, it has to be a complement. Ah, cherie Francis.

McTag, I doubt you could ever compete with the Germans or the Brits in Torremolinos, you're way too much a gentleman. However, it would be a funny sight to see the gentle McTag trying to reserve a chair in the midst of latently violent Germans and Brits. I think the women would be the ones to do you in.

Walter, my sweet, of course I remember you. The best tour guide in all of Europe and the nicest host in Germany. Hugs to Ulla and to you.
0 Replies