WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:53 am
Thanks, Bobby. <smile>

Well, listeners, don't forget to hold squinney in your thoughts and in your heart.

Time for a station break:

This is cyberspace. WA2K radio.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:59 am
ok first pict, this is the view looking from our hotel window in Amsterdam onto the Amstel canal below our room and the houseboats alongside.
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAAAABQXjXLnTAly7rtojkXNEejPfDA6jq9LnPNHywWDxAlMoiAfqLA4p3T2*8DAK0IoBmqGr6yTVAkWqgvAaZ7E8KYYlX1My6ImO3Hgg*lCLF1r34ehkw/euro1%20025.jpg
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:14 pm
Nice shot. I see the trees have a lot more foliage than we do here in Massachusetts. My memories of Amsterdam are that it's really a party town. I suspect it hasn't changed.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:30 pm
Letty asked recently re: contributions by native Americans. It occurred to me that a very significant role was played by the Navajo code talkers during World War II.

Code talker

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Code talkers were Native American soldiers who transmitted secret messages over radio or telephone using codes based on their native languages. The name refers chiefly to Navajo language speakers in special units in the Pacific Theater of World War II. However, the Choctaw language, Comanche language, and other languages were also used, beginning in World War I. In World War II the military (particularly the US Marines) used Navajo speakers for the first time.

The Navajo code did not consist of merely speaking Navajo over a battlefield radio or wired link, but rather the code talkers developed several letter substitution codes in which each letter of an English message was converted to an English word starting with that letter, and then the Navajo translation of that word would be transmitted. In this way, anything expressible in English could, if necessary, be spelled out. For efficiency, a codebook was also developed for many relevant words and concepts. A codetalker message would consist of some plain Navajo language, some code words (also in Navajo, but with special coded meaning), and, if necessary, some spelled out English words (with each letter being represented by a preselected Navajo word). To an ordinary Navajo speaker, the entire 'conversation' would have been quite incomprehensible. See the link at the end of the article to see the now-declassified codebook. The codetalkers memorized all these variations, and practiced their rapid use under stressful conditions.

The Japanese never cracked the spoken code, and high military officers have stated that the United States would never have won the Battle of Iwo Jima without the secrecy afforded by the code talkers. The codetalkers received no recognition until the declassification of the operation in 1968. In 1982, the code talkers were given a Certificate of Recognition by President Reagan, who also named August 14 "National Code Talkers Day."

Native American languages were chosen for several reasons. Most importantly, speakers of these languages were available inside the United States, and unavailable outside. In addition, the languages were virtually unknown outside the US. Hitler did know about the successful use of codetalkers during World War I, and sent a team of some thirty anthropologists to learn native American languages before the outbreak of World War II. However it proved too difficult to learn all the many languages and dialects that existed. Because of the German attempts to learn the languages, codetalkers were not assigned in large numbers to the European Theater.

Furthermore, an unfamiliar spoken human language is harder to crack than a code based on a familiar language. The languages chosen had little written literature, so even researching them was difficult for nonspeakers. In addition, nonspeakers would find it extremely difficult to accurately distinguish unfamiliar sounds used in these languages. Also, many grammar structures in these languages are quite different from any the enemies would be expected to know, adding another layer of incomprehensibility. In addition, a speaker who used the language all his life sounds distinctly different from a person who learned it in adulthood, thus reducing the chance of successful imposters sending false messages. Finally, the additional layer of an alphabet cypher was added to prevent interception by native speakers not trained as codetalkers, in the event of their capture by the Japanese.

The Navajo spoken code is not very complex by cryptographic standards, and would likely have been broken if a native speaker and trained cryptographers worked together effectively. The Japanese had an opportunity to do so when they captured Joe Kieyoomia in the Philippines in 1942. Kieyoomia, a Navajo Sergeant in the U.S. Army, was ordered to interpret the radio messages. They made no sense to him, and when he reported that he could not understand the messages, his captors tortured him. Given the simplicity of the alphabet code involved, it is probable that the code could have been broken easily if Kieyoomia's knowledge had been exploited more effectively by Japanese cryptographers.

A similar system employing the Welsh language was used by British forces, but not to any great extent.

The 2002 action film, Windtalkers starring Nicolas Cage, Adam Beach and Jason Isaacs, was based on the Navajo code talker operation of WWII, although it is not entirely historically accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_talker
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:38 pm
Pima Indian(arizona)--Iwo Jima= Ira Hayes
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:15 pm
dys, that picture was really lovely. Walter had a similar one on his European thread part II. It's easy to understand why people like the Netherlands. Everything looks so clean and clear. Do they still have windmills and dikes?

Bob, we learn something new every day on WA2K, right listeners? Amazing how the Code Talkers could help win a war. So many vanishing languages that anthropologists are working to preserve. I was just thinking of the movie "The Gods Must be Crazy" and that odd language that consisted of clicks and cricket noises.

And that pima language which was spoken by Ira Hayes. He was one of the soldiers who was in that picture/ sculpture of the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima. Didn't he die an alcoholic?

You know, listeners, history is compelling, and so much of it has been rewritten to fancy the times.

Here's a trivia question:

From whence came the phrase, "Indian giver"?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:23 pm
"The phrase dates back to the early 19th century and originally meant someone who gives a gift in the expectation of receiving something of greater value in return, which was indeed a custom among Indians that must have struck early European settlers as rather odd. Later on, the phrase came to mean a "false gift," as the adjective "Indian" itself took on the pejorative meaning of "false" or "mock," a sense also found in "Indian Summer" and "Indian corn." While it's true that the European settlers had a far worse reputation when it came to trustworthiness than the Indians did, the victors in history usually get to make up the idioms, so it's doubtful that "Indian giver" refers to the manner in which the settlers treated the Indians. It would be a quite a stretch to credit 19th century European settlers with the honesty to have recognized that they, and not the Indians, were the "Indian givers" in most cases."
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:56 pm
Interesting discussion before we get back to the music.
I was challenged today on a word I used in this context: Snehan is swamped with orders in the framing department at my shop. Perhaps, I suggested, Andy could help him. But the framing shop is Snehan's "balliwick." Which to my mind means Snehan's territory, his area of control. and perhaps he doesn't want any help. Out came the store dictionary and I coulldn't find the word under any similar spelling.
They laughed at me but I am convinced I am right.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:01 pm
Francis, I wondered where you were. Your research is much better than my memory as I had always thought it to be the policy under U.S. Grant's presidency of giving the Indians terrible, moth-eaten blankets when the money from the Indian Affairs organization was ear marked for the purpose of providing the various tribes with good, useful blankets. Instead, the unscrupulous members kept the money for themselves.

Thank you for that clarification.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:02 pm
bailiwick \BAY-luh-wik\, noun:
1. A person's specific area of knowledge, authority, interest, skill, or work.
2. The office or district of a bailiff.

I'll give it a try, but this is not my bailiwick.
--Sue Grafton, 'L' Is for Lawless

He "professed ignorance, as of something outside my bailiwick."
--Marc Aronson, "Wharton and the House of Scribner: The Novelist as a Pain in the Neck," New York Times, January 2, 1994

Fund-raising was Cliff's bailiwick, anyway, and he seemed to have it in hand.
--Curt Sampson, The Masters
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:18 pm
Welcome back, John of Virginia. This has taken somewhat of a turn, but that's no problem, and George has given us the meaning. To me the word was always synoymous with milieu.

Well, let's move right along with an Indian song:

Pass That Peace Pipe
Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire
Written by Roger Edens, Hugh Martin & Ralph Blane

- as a duet for Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire in the MGM film
Ziegfeld Follies, but it never made it into the picture.
It resurfaced a few years later in 1947 in the movie "Good News"
and was nominated for an Oscar as Best Song!

A MEDICINE MAN I MET
SAID DONT GET YOURSELF IN A SWEAT.
WHEN THINGS LOOK GRAY,
JUST SHRUG AND SAY:
IT MUSTA BEEN SOMETHIN?I ET!HOCTAWS, CHICKASAWS,
CHATTAHOOCHEES, CHIPPEWAS DO.

IF YOURE FEELING MAD AS A WET HEN,
MAD AS YOU CAN POSSIBLY GET, THEN
PASS THAT PEACE PIPE, BURY THAT TOMAHAWK
LIKE THOSE CHICHAMECKS, CHEROKEES,
CHAPULTEPECS DO.
THAT COLD SHOULDER NEVER SOLVED A SINGLE COMPLAINT.
WHEN YOURE OLDER, YOULL WIPE OFF ALL OF THAT WAR
PAINT.

IF YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A FURY,
BE YOUR OWN JUDGE AND YOUR OWN JURY.
PASS THAT PEACE PIPE AND BURY THAT HATCHET
LIKE THE CHOCTAWS, CHICKASAWS,
CHATTAHOOCHEES, CHIPPEWAS DO.

IF YOU WANT TO HOVER OUT WEST, TOO,
YOU WILL SOON DISCOVER ITS BEST TO
LIKE THE CHOKTOHS, CHANGOS,
CHATTANOOGAS, CHEEKAROHS DO.

EVEN IN COLONIAL DAYS, YOU
KNOW THE CEREMONIAL WAYS TO
PASS THAT PEACE PIPE AND BURY THAT TOMAHAWK
LIKE THOSE CHAKOOTAMEES, CHEPACHEPS
N?CHICOPEES, TOO.
PULL YOUR EARS IN, TRY TO USE A LITTLE CONTROL.
WHEN ALL CLEARS IN, YOULL BE TOP MAN ON THE TOTEM
POLE.

SO, IF YOU WANNA BE AN ALL-RIGHT GUY --
NOT A LONG FACE, BLUES-IN-THE-NIGHT GUY --
WRITE THAT APOLOGY AND DISPATCH IT!
WHEN YOU QUARREL, ITS GRAND TO PATCH IT!
LIKE THOSE CHOCTAWS, CHICKASAWS,
CHATTAHOOCHEES, CHIPPEWAS
AND THOSE CHICHAMECKS, CHEROKEES,
CHAPULTEPECS
AND THOSE CHAKOOTAMEES, CHEPACHEPS
N?CHICOPEES, CHOKTOHS, CHANGOS,
CHATTANOOGAS, CHEEKAROHS DO-O-O-O!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:45 pm
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 03:01 pm
Welcome to Bangor.
No one else wants you.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 03:05 pm
George, I don't understand that comment.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 03:12 pm
Every time a flight is deemed too dangerous to enter the
Northeast Corridor from Europe, they send it to Bangor.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 03:15 pm
Didn't we 'ave a luvverely time
The day we went to Bangor......
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 03:17 pm
Must have been a different Bangor.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 03:35 pm
Folks, I think if we were to say the person's name, we could avoid a lot of confusion here.

Hey, Margo. Welcome to WA2K radio. It's so good to see an Aussie here. You and msolga are the sole contingent thus far.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:02 pm
What happened to the wascally wabbit Dlowan?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:12 pm
You know, Bob. I don't think Deb has ever visited WA2K radio, but I'm certain that she is around somewhere in our vast audience. She is extremely bright but has a stressful job.

Well, listeners, perhaps we have not completely accomplished what we set out to do, but we're still on the air.
0 Replies