WA2K Radio is now on the air

djjd62

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:02 pm
What It Was, Was Football
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:34 pm

I used to listen to that on radio, over fifty years ago.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:54 pm
ah, dj and edgar. Those were the days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:59 pm
we have an old comedy record around somewhere that has the football sketch, st george and the dragon net, and other assorted goodies
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 06:00 pm
Letty wrote:
ah, dj and edgar. Those were the days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg

That's a great goody.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 06:03 pm
djjd62 wrote:
we have an old comedy record around somewhere that has the football sketch, st george and the dragon net, and other assorted goodies

The first records I ever had were St George and the Dragonette and Ray Anthony's Dragnet theme. My older brother borrowed st george to take to school. On the way home, he dropped that old 78. I was heartbroken. I had been in the habit of sneaking into my step grandmother's room and playing it on the Victrola.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 06:06 pm
this skit was on the record

It's In The Book
Johnny Standley

I have a message for you - a very sad message!
My subject for this evening will be Little Bo Peep.
It says here, "Little Bo Peep, who was a little girl,
has lost her sheep,"
"And doesn't know where to find them."
Now that's reasonable, isn't it?
It's, it's reasonable to assume, if Little Bo Peep had lost her sheep,
It's only natural that she wouldn't know where to find them.
That, that basically is reasonabl-l-le, but, uh, "leave them alone".
Now that overwhelms me, …, completely overwhelms me.
The man said she lost her sheep, turns right around and boldly states,
"She doesn't know where to find them".
And then has the stupid audacity to say, "Leave them alone"!
Now! Now, now think for a moment! Think!
If the sheep were lost, and you couldn't find them,
You'd have to leave them alone, wouldn't you?
So, "Leave them alone". "Leave them alone".
It's in the book!

"Leave them alone and they", they being the sheep, "they will come home".
Ah yes, they'll come home.
Oh, there'll be a brighter day tomorrow, they will come home!
It's in the book.

"They will come home… a-waggin' their tails…".
Pray, tell me, what else could they wag?
"They will come home a-waggin' their tails … behind them… behind them!"
Did we think they'd wag them in front of them?
Of course, they might have come home in reverse.
They could have done that, I really don't know.
But, none the less, it's in the book.

So now if you will, kindly pick up your books, and turn to page 222.
We'll ask you all to sing.
You'll find your books on the backs of your seats.
Are we ready?

Everyone, 222. Let's really enjoy ourselves, let's live it up.
All together.

Do you remember grandma's lye soap?
Good for everything in the home,
And the secret was in the scrubbing,
It wouldn't suds and couldn't foam.

Then let us sing right out of grandma's, of grandma's lye soap
Used for - for everything, everything on the place,
For pots and kettles, the dirty dishes, and for your hands and for
your face.

So we'll now sing the second verse.
Let's get it with great exuberance, let's live it up.
It's not raining inside tonight.
Everyone, let's have a happy time.
Are we ready? All together, the second verse.

Little Herman and brother Thurman
Had an aversion to washing their ears
Grandma scrubbed them with the lye soap.
And they haven't heard a word in years.

Then let us sing right out of grandma's, of grandma's lye soap.
Sing all out, all over the place.
The pots and kettles, the dirty dishes, and also hands and also f….
(clapping fades)

Well, let's sing what's left of the last verse.
Let's have a happy time, everyone.
The last verse, al-l-l-l together.
Ev-v-v-very one!

Mm-m-m-m. Thank you kindly, kindly,
M-m-mrs. O'Malley, out in the valley,
Suffered from ulcers, I understand.
She swallowed a cake of grandma's lye soap,
Has the cleanest ulcers in the land.

Then let us sing right out of grandma's, of grandma's lye soap.
Sing right out. All over the place.
The pots and - the pots and pans, oh dirty dishes,
And the hands……..
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 06:09 pm
dj, do you have a turntable or just a photographic memory?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 06:20 pm
found the lyrics online

trying to find the swedish accented comedian who explained the birds and the bees

here's some statler brothers

do you remember these
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 06:23 pm
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO RANDOLPH SCOTT
The Statler Brothers

Everybody knows when you go to the show
You can't take the kids along
You've gotta read the paper
And know the code of G, PG and R and X
And you gotta know what the movie's about
Before you even go
Tex Ritter's gone and Disney's dead
And the screen is filled with sex

Whatever happened to Randolph Scott
Ridin' the train alone
Whatever happened to Gene and Tex
And Roy and Rex, The Durango Kid
Oh, whatever happened to Randolph Scott
His horse plain as could be
Has happened to the best of me

Everybody's tryin' to make a comment
About our doubts and fears
True Grit's the only movie
I've really understood in years
You gotta take your analyst along
To see if it's fit to see
Has happened to the industry

Whatever happened to Johnny Mack Brown
And Alan Rocky Lane
Whatever happened to Lash LaRue
I'd love to see them again
Whatever happened to Smiley Burnette
Tim Holt and Gene Autry
Whatever happened to all of these
Has happened to the best of me
Has happened to the industry
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 07:13 pm
wow! Those are all great memories, dj. Hey Chai, shouldn't that be phonographic memory? Razz

Ah, yes, I know the Statler Bros.

The Statler Brothers are an American country music group founded in 1955 in Staunton, Virginia.
Despite the band's name, just two of its four members are brothers, and none of them are named "Statler". The band, in fact, named themselves after a brand of facial tissue (they have joked that they could have turned out to be the Kleenex Brothers). Don Reid sings lead and is the younger brother of Harold Reid, who sings bass. The other members are baritone Phil Balsley and tenor Jimmy Fortune, who replaced original Statler Lew DeWitt in the early 1980s due to the latter's ill health. DeWitt passed away on August 15, 1990 of heart and kidney disease, complications of Crohn's disease.

Well, it's time for me to say goodnight, and I think that I shall do it with a pop song based on a classic.

The classic is Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite.

I recall how to spell his name because CHAI is in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0vOYwHj30&feature=related

Goodnight, all.
From Letty with love
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 07:14 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKT1R2jQ2aM

Cab Calloway
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 08:27 pm
Went back to page one, the genesis of the station. Read until I learned I joined up on page 29, post 285. In the early days, the emphasis was not on music as much as it is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COMsKPeWAsw
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 04:41 am
Good morning, WA2K folks.

edgar, enjoyed Cab Calloway, Texas, and The Beatles "Long and Winding Road" brought back some memories. Thanks. Hmmm, what was the emphasis in the early days of our cyber radio? Razz

Today is Herb Alpert's birthday, and I cannot think of a better way to wake up than to the sounds of subtle trumpets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuByWtxx8QU&feature=related
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 04:57 am
I just went through the first seven pages. They averaged one song per page. Of course, applications were still being taken. People wanted to be everything from sports casters to Andy Rooney types. Many of the early posters only rarely post these days. Slappy. Phoenix. Farmerman. And, Cav posted also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrn-m6iMp7M
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 05:20 am
Well, edgar, as I once observed, people have returned to their own little niche. I really think that some folks enjoy segregation. Also, there is the matter of YouTube, and it does have its ramifications.

UhOh, tomorrow is April Fool's day. Wonder what the mods have in store for us? Speaking of which, folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2cDsqu91q8
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 07:35 am
Sergei Diaghilev
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sergei Pavlovich Diaghilev (Russian: Серге́й Па́влович Дя́гилев / Sergei Pavlovich Dyagilev IPA: [sʲɪˈrgʲej ˈpavlovʲɪtɕ ˈdʲægʲɪlʲɪf]), also referred to as Serge, (March 31, 1872 - August 19, 1929) was a Russian art critic, patron, ballet impresario and founder of the Ballets Russes from which many famous dancers and choreographers would later arise.

Early life and career

Sergei Diaghilev was born to a wealthy family in Selischi (Novgorod gubernia), Russia toward the end of its age of empire. He finished Perm gymnasium in year 1890. Sent to the capital to study law at St. Petersburg University, he ended up also taking classes at the St. Petersburg Conservatory of Music where he studied singing and music (a love of which he had picked up from his stepmother). After graduating in 1892 he abandoned his dreams of composition (his professor, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, told him he had no talent for music). He had already entered an influential circle of artists who called themselves the Pickwickians: Alexandre Benois, Walter Nouvel, Konstantin Somov, Dmitri Filosofov and Léon Bakst. Although not instantly received into the group, Benois aided Diaghilev by developing his knowledge of Russian and Western Art. In two years, he had voraciously absorbed this new obsession (even travelling abroad to further his studies) and came to be respected as one of the most learned of the group.

With financial backing from Savva Mamontov (the director of the Bolshoi) and Princess Maria Tenisheva, the group founded the journal Mir Iskusstva (World of Art)

In 1899, Diaghilev became special assistant to Prince Sergei Mikhailovitch Wolkonsky, who had recently taken over directorship of all Imperial theaters. Diaghilev was soon responsible for the production of the Annual of the Imperial Theaters in 1900, and promptly offered assignments to his close friends: Léon Bakst would design costumes for the French play Le Coeur de la Marquise, while Benois was given the opportunity to produce Sergei Taneyev's opera Cupid's Revenge.

Portrait of Serge Diaghilev with His Nanny, by Léon Bakst (1906).In 1900-1901 Wolkonsky entrusted Diaghilev the staging of Léo Delibes' ballet Sylvia, a favorite of Benois'. The two collaborators concocted an elaborate production plan that startled the established personnel of the Imperial Theatres. After several increasingly antagonistic differences of opinion, Diaghilev in his demostrative manner refused to go on editing the "Annual of the Imperial Theatres" and was discharged by Wolkonsky in 1901[1] and left disgraced in the eyes of the nobility. At the same time, some Diaghilev's recearchers hinted to his homosexuality as the main cause for this conflict. However, his homosexuality had been well-known long before he was invited in Imperor Theatres and so it could not be the real reason for his discharging, moreover he would not be invited otherwise.

Ballets Russes

Diaghilev's friends stayed true, following him and helping to put on exhibitions, mounted in the name of Mir Iskusstva. In 1905 he mounted a huge exhibition of Russian portrait painting in St Petersburg, having travelled widely through Russia for a year discovering many previously unknown masterpieces of Russian portrait art. In the following year he took a major exhibition of Russian art to the Petit Palais in Paris. It was the beginning of a long involvement with France. In 1907 he presented five concerts of Russian music in Paris, and in 1908 mounted a production of Boris Godunov, starring Fyodor Chaliapin, at the Paris Opera.

This led to an invitation to return the following year with ballet as well as opera, and thus to the launching of his famous Ballets Russes. The company included the best young Russian dancers, among them Anna Pavlova, Adolph Bolm, Vaslav Nijinsky, Tamara Karsavina, Adolf Bolm and Vera Karalli, and their first night on 19 May 1909 was a sensation.

During these years Diaghilev's stagings included several compositions by the late Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, such as the operas The Maid of Pskov, May Night, and The Golden Cockerel. His balletic adaptation of the orchestral suite Schéhérazade, staged in 1910, drew the ire of the composer's widow, Nadezhda Rimskaya-Korsakova, who protested in open letters to Diaghilev published in the periodical Reč'. Diaghilev commissioned ballet music from composers such as Nikolai Tcherepnin (Narcisse et Echo, 1911), Claude Debussy (Jeux, 1913), Maurice Ravel (Daphnis et Chloé, 1912), Erik Satie (Parade, 1917), Manuel de Falla (El sombrero de tres picos, 1917), Richard Strauss (Josephs-Legende, 1914), Sergei Prokofiev (Ala and Lolly, rejected by Diaghilev and turned into the Scythian Suite, and Chout, 1915), Ottorino Respighi (La Boutique Fantasque, 1918), Francis Poulenc (Les Biches, 1923) and others. His choreographer Mikhail Fokine often adapted the music for ballet. Dhiagilev also worked with dancer and ballet master Leonid Myasin (aka Massine).

The artistic director for the Ballets Russes was Léon Bakst. Together they developed a more complicated form of ballet with show-elements intended to appeal to the general public, rather than solely the aristocracy. The exotic appeal of the Ballets Russes had an effect on Fauvist painters and the nascent Art Deco style.

Perhaps Diaghilev's most notable composer collaborator, however, was Igor Stravinsky. Diaghilev heard Stravinsky's early orchestral works Fireworks and Scherzo Fantastique, and was impressed enough to ask Stravinsky to arrange some pieces by Frédéric Chopin for the Ballets Russes. In 1910, he commissioned his first score from Stravinsky, The Firebird. Petrushka (1911) and The Rite of Spring (1913) followed shortly afterwards, and the two also worked together on Pulcinella (1920) and Les Noces (1923).

After the Russian Revolution of 1917, Diaghilev stayed abroad. The new Soviet regime, once it became obvious that he could not be lured back, condemned him in perpetuity as an especially insidious example of bourgeois decadence. Soviet art historians wrote him out of the picture for more than 60 years.[2]

Diaghilev staged Tchaikovsky's The Sleeping Beauty in London in 1921; it was a production of remarkable magnificence both in settings and costumes, but despite being well received by the public it was a financial disaster for Diaghilev and Oswald Stoll, the theatre-owner, who had backed it. The first cast included the legendary ballerina Olga Spessivtseva. Diaghilev insisted on calling the ballet The Sleeping Princess. When asked why, he quipped, "Because I have no beauties!" The later years of the Ballets Russes were often considered too "intellectual", too "stylish" and seldom had the unconditional success of the first few seasons, although younger choreographers like George Balanchine hit their stride with the Ballet Russes.

The end of the 19th century brought a development in the handling of tonality, harmony, rhythm and meter towards more freedom. Until that time, rigid harmonic schemes had forced rhythmic patterns to stay fairly uncomplicated. Around the turn of the century, however, harmonic and metric devices became either more rigid, or much more unpredictable, and each approach had a liberating effect on rhythm, which also affected ballet. Diaghilev was a pioneer in adapting these new musical styles to modern ballet. When Ravel used a 5/4 time in the final part of his ballet Daphnis and Chloé (1912), dancers of the Ballets Russes sang Ser-ge-dia-ghi-lev during rehearsals to keep the correct rhythm.

Members of Diaghilev's Ballets Russes later went on to found ballet traditions in the United States (George Balanchine) and England (Ninette de Valois and Marie Rambert). Ballet master Serge Lifar went on to revive the Paris Opera.

Personal life

Diaghilev engaged in a number of homosexual relationships over the course of his life. His first important affair was with Dima Filasofov, his cousin, when they were both little more than adolescents; his second with Nijinsky, who had already had a homosexual laiason with a wealthy aristocrat, partly in order to help support his mother, sister, and mentally disabled brother (his father had deserted the family). Later affairs of Diaghilev were with Boris Kochno, his secretary from 1921 until the end of his life, and at least three other dancers in his ballet company,Leonide Massine, Anton Dolin, and Serge Lifar. His last love affair, possibly unconsummated, was with a young composer, Igor Markevitch, who later became a distinguished conductor and married Nijinsky's daughter Kyra. Diaghilev had a close platonic relationship with two women, Misia Sert and the dancer Karsavina, either of whom he said he would have liked to have married.[citation needed]

Diaghilev was known as a hard, demanding, even frightening taskmaster. Ninette de Valois, no shrinking violet, said she was too afraid to ever look at him in the face. George Balanchine said he carried around a cane during rehearsals, and banged it angrily when he was displeased. Other dancers said he would shoot them down with one look, or a cold comment. On the other hand he was capable of great kindness, and when stranded with his bankrupt company in Spain during the 1914-18 war gave his last cash to Lydia Sokolova to buy medical care for her daughter. Markova was very young when she joined the Ballet Russes and would later in life say that she called Diaghilev "Sergypops" and he would take care of her like a daughter.

Diaghilev dismissed Nijinsky summarily from the Ballets Russes after the dancer's marriage in 1913. Nijinsky appeared again with the company, but the old relationship between the men was never re-established; moreover, Nijinsky's magic as a dancer was much diminished by incipient madness. Their last meeting was after Nijinsky's mind had given way, and he appeared not to recognise his former lover. Dancers such as Alicia Markova, Tamara Karsavina, Serge Lifar, and Sokolova remembered Diaghilev fondly, as a stern but kind father-figure who put the needs of his dancers and company above his own. He lived from paycheck to paycheck to finance his company, and though he spent considerable amounts at the end of his life on a splendid collection of rare books, many people noticed that his impeccably cut suits had frayed cuffs and trouser-ends. The movie The Red Shoes is a thinly disguised dramatization of the Ballet Russes.

He died in Venice, Italy, on August 19, 1929, and is buried on the nearby island of San Michele.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 07:39 am
William Daniels

Born March 31, 1927 (1927-03-31) (age 81)
Brooklyn, New York, USA
[show]Awards won
Emmy Awards
Outstanding Lead Actor - Drama Series
1985 St. Elsewhere
1986 St. Elsewhere

William Daniels (born March 31, 1927) is an American actor and former president of the Screen Actors Guild (from 1999 to 2001). He is known for his performances as John Adams in 1776, as Mr. Feeny in ABC's Boy Meets World, the voice of KITT in Knight Rider, and winning two Emmy Awards for the role of Dr. Mark Craig in St. Elsewhere.

Biography

Daniels was born in Brooklyn, New York. He graduated from Northwestern University in 1949 where he was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity. He has been married to actress and fellow Emmy Award-winner Bonnie Bartlett since June 30, 1951. They have two children.

Career

In 1969, Daniels starred as John Adams in the musical 1776, as well as appearing in the movie version in 1972. Two years later, he co-starred with Larry Hagman, Linda Blair and Mark Hamill in Richard Donner's telefilm Sarah T...Portrait Of a Teenage Alcoholic. In 1976, Daniels portrayed eldest son John Quincy Adams in the acclaimed PBS miniseries The Adams Chronicles (George Grizzard played John Adams). He provided the voice of KITT in Knight Rider from 1982 - 1986, and again in 1991 (He requested not to be credited for that work). He appeared as acid-tongued (but well-meaning) Dr. Mark Craig in St. Elsewhere from 1982 to 1988, for which he won two Emmy awards. Daniels then portrayed the teacher George Feeny at John Adams High School in Boy Meets World from 1993 - 2000.

Work

Daniels had a successful career as a stage actor; besides 1776, his Broadway credits include On a Clear Day You Can See Forever and A Little Night Music. He earned an Obie Award for The Zoo Story (1960). He has also appeared in several other films.
His motion picture debut was as a school principal in the 1963 anti-war drama Ladybug Ladybug.
The father of the character Benjamin Braddock, played by Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate in 1967, despite being only ten years older than Hoffman.
An officious social worker who tries to strip the protagonist of the custody of his nephew in A Thousand Clowns (1965).
Captain Nice, a comedy TV series that ran from January-May 1967 on NBC. Riding the tide of the camp superhero craze of the 1960s, the show's premise involved police chemist Carter Nash, a mild-mannered mama's boy who discovered a secret formula that, when taken, transformed him into Captain Nice.
A physician named John Bonifant in Death In the Family, the second made-for-TV movie of the 1970s Incredible Hulk TV series.
Several episodes of the 1977 show Soap as a German Private Investigator.
An episode of The Rockford Files as high-handed District Attorney Gary Bevins, who conducts a grand-jury hearing at which Jim Rockford is subpoenaed to testify.
Norman, a radio executive attending a Halloween party with coworkers; he appears dressed as a clown for the party, and unwittingly picks up Cylon hitchhikers in the Galactica 1980, episode "The Night the Cylons Landed".
The voice of Scythe 2.0. in The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, episode "Scythe 2.0.".
The voice of a robot in an episode of Kim Possible.
Guest starred in an episode of Scrubs. His appearance involved three other cast members from St. Elsewhere; they played hospitalized doctors.
Howard Manchester in 1967's Two for the Road.
George Summers in the 1977 Carl Reiner film Oh, God!.
Arthur Spooner's nemesis, Philip Waldecott in The King Of Queens.
The un-named judge in the 2007 movie Code Name: The Cleaner.
He played a skating commissioner in Blades of Glory.
A part in The Closer.
A part in the TV series Quincy, M.E.
The father of Richard Lestrange in The Blue Lagoon (1980 film)
An average American suburban father in The President's Analyst
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 07:42 am
Richard Chamberlain

Born George Richard Chamberlain
March 31, 1934 (1934-03-31) (age 74)
Beverly Hills, California, U.S.
[show]Awards won
Golden Globe Awards
Best Actor - TV Series
1963 Dr. Kildare
Best Actor - TV Series
1981 Shogun
Best Actor - Miniseries
1984 The Thorn Birds

George Richard Chamberlain (born March 31, 1934) is an American actor of stage and screen who became a teen idol in the title role of the television show Dr. Kildare (1961-1966).

Biography

Chamberlain was born in Beverly Hills, California to salesman Charles and Elsa Chamberlain née Matthews.[1] Chamberlain's father was well known within Alcoholics Anonymous, having traveled for years speaking at A.A. conventions. In 1952 Richard Chamberlain graduated from Beverly Hills High School and later attended Pomona College.[2]

Career

Coinciding with his rise to fame on Kildare, Chamberlain also had a brief but moderately successful career as a pop singer. He subsequently became disenchanted with Hollywood and turned to the theater, finding success in England among British audiences. In 1966, Chamberlain was cast opposite Mary Tyler Moore in the ill-fated Broadway musical Breakfast at Tiffany's which, after a torturous out-of-town tryout period, closed after only four previews. It is considered one of the most notorious flops in theater history. Decades later he returned to Broadway in revivals of My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music.

In the first half of the 1970s, Chamberlain enjoyed some success as a leading man in films such as The Towering Inferno, The Last Wave, The Three Musketeers and sequels and The Count of Monte Cristo. In The Slipper and the Rose, a musical version of the Cinderella story, co-starring Gemma Craven, he displayed his vocal talents, which had already resulted in a hit single during his days as Dr. Kildare.

Chamberlain later appeared in several popular television miniseries (earning him the sobriquet of "King of the Miniseries"), including Centennial, William Bast's The Man in the Iron Mask, Shogun, and The Thorn Birds playing Father Ralph de Bricassart opposite Rachel Ward. In the late 1980s he experienced a belated breakthrough as a leading man with King Solomon's Mines opposite newcomer Sharon Stone, and also played Jason Bourne in the original 1988 version of The Bourne Identity.

Since the 1990s, Chamberlain has mostly appeared in television movies and as a guest star on series including The Drew Carey Show and Will & Grace. In the fall of 2005, Chamberlain appeared in the title role of Ebenezer Scrooge in the Broadway National Tour of Scrooge: The Musical alongside Larry Adams, Roberta Duchak, Todd Gross, George Keating, and Ben Ratskoff as Tiny Tim. In 2006, Chamberlain guest starred in an episode of the hit BBC drama series Hustle as well as season 4 on Nip/Tuck.

In 2007, Chamberlain guest starred in episode 80 (Season 4, Episode 8, "Distant Past") of Desperate Housewives as Glen Wingfield, Lynette Scavo's stepfather. [3]

Personal life

Chamberlain resides in Hawaii, with his partner since the mid-1970s, agent-producer-director Martin Rabbett.

Although it was generally known that Chamberlain was gay, having been outed by the French women's magazine Nous Deux in December 1989, it was not until 2003, at age 69, that he came out as such in his biography, Shattered Love (ISBN 0060087439), which describes how he felt obliged to hide his sexuality in order to have an acting career.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 07:46 am
Shirley Jones

Born Shirley Mae Jones
March 31, 1934 (1934-03-31) (age 74)
Charleroi, Pennsylvania
Spouse(s) Jack Cassidy (1956-1974)
Marty Ingels (1977-)
Awards won
Academy Awards
Best Supporting Actress
1960 Elmer Gantry

Shirley Mae Jones (born March 31, 1934) is an Academy Award-winning American singer and actress perhaps best known for her role as "Shirley Partridge", the widowed single mother of five children, in the television series The Partridge Family, co-starring her real-life stepson, David Cassidy.

Biography

Early life

Shirley Jones was born in Charleroi, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh to Marjorie Williams and Paul Jones, owners of the Jones Brewing Company. An only child, she was named after Shirley Temple. The family later moved to nearby Smithton, Pennsylvania. She won a beauty pageant as a teenager and was crowned "Miss Pittsburgh 1952."

Career

Before The Partridge Family, Jones had already achieved fame as a singer and actress. She starred in many films, including the highly successful musicals Oklahoma!, Carousel, April Love and The Music Man, in which she often embodied or represented wholesome beauty and kindness of character. In a rare "naughty girl" role, she won an Oscar for her role in Elmer Gantry as a prostitute corrupted by Burt Lancaster, who then takes revenge upon him. She attempted a television comeback in 1979 with the family drama Shirley, but the series fared poorly and was canceled after thirteen episodes. Ms. Jones was also widely appreciated and well-liked as the "older woman" girlfriend of Drew Carey in "The Drew Carey Show", appearing in several episodes. These appearances show-cased her excellent timing as a comedienne.

Although best known for her movie and television roles, Shirley has an impressive stage résumé, including the musical Maggie Flynn on Broadway and a stellar turn in a rare revival of Noel Coward's operetta Bitter Sweet at the Long Beach Civic Light Opera in 1983. In 2004, Shirley returned to Broadway in a revival of 42nd Street, portraying diva "Dorothy Brock", opposite her son, Patrick Cassidy, the first time a mother and son were known to star together on Broadway. In July 2005, Shirley revisited the musical Carousel onstage in Massachusetts portraying Cousin Nettie. Shirley continues to appear in venues nationwide, in concert and in speaking engagements.

In July 2006, Jones received an Emmy nomination for her supporting performance in the TV film "Hidden Places". Shirley was nominated for a SAG award for the same film, but did not win; the award went instead to Helen Mirren for Elizabeth I.

She also appeared in 2006's "Grandma's Boy," produced by Adam Sandler, as a nymphomaniacal senior citizen.

On November 16, 2007, Shirley Jones took stage at the Oklahoma Centennial Spectacular concert at the Ford Center celebrating Oklahoma's 100th Birthday. Jones sang the Oklahoma Overture and People Will Say We're In Love from her lead role in Oklahoma!.

In early 2008, it was announced that Shirley would begin playing the role of Colleen Brady on the iconic NBC soap opera, Days of Our Lives.

Personal life

She married actor Jack Cassidy on August 5, 1956, with whom she had three sons, Shaun, Patrick, and Ryan. David Cassidy, Jack's only child from his first marriage to actress Evelyn Ward, became her stepson. Divorcing Cassidy in 1974, she later married comic/actor Marty Ingels on November 13, 1977. Despite drastically different personalities and several separations (she filed, then withdrew, a divorce petition in 2002), they remain married.

She is a registered Republican who appeared at the 1988 Republican Convention and sang the National Anthem. She also sang at the 2003 lighting of the National Christmas Tree in Washington, D.C., at President George W. Bush's request.

Jones and her son Shaun Cassidy are the only mother and son to each have a song reach number one on the Billboard Charts. Jones hit #1 with The Partridges "I Think I Love You" in 1970 (sung with stepson David Cassidy). Shaun followed that in 1977 with "Da Do Ron Ron."
0 Replies