WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 06:06 pm
edgar, that song by Little Richard is familiar. Thanks, Texas, as I will be looking for more from you.

My goodness, hbg, I really like the way you do picture perfect songs. That one is particulary funny, especially the last line, "...but an Englishman who can last til three I've never seen before..." Love it, Canada.

Let's combine the two, listeners.

Billy Corgan

Black Irish

Emily, Emily I can't, Emily
I can't leave
so I climb, so I climb on your
so I climb on your fire escape
in the rush of stealing what was mine
I stumbled on the notion of time lost
Emily Emily I can't, Emily
I can't leave

forgive me, not today
forgive me stay in your sleep
forgive me, not today
forgive me stay
in the last hours of light
your patient pantomime
heals the stories that I tell
to myself and no one else
no whisper on my mind
no tired arms that bind
can steal you away from me this time

Emily, Emily I can't, Emily
I can't leave
so I ride, so I ride on your
so I ride on you hobby horse

find this a better way
with brides dressed in white
with dreams of starting over right
a kindred soul I'm leaving
a past that I must fight
discover my freedoms up in lights
the kiss that is America
the babes dressed in blue
my wish of starting over lies with you
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 06:26 pm
hamburger wrote:
sharon/teenyboone :
condolences from the other other side of lake ontario to you and your husband !
hbg

Thanks to all! Hope I get to Ontario, one day. I've visited Montreal, back in the late 90's. Canada is a really "clean" place. Canadians are so friendly and kind. Again, thanks for the sentiments. If you visit the site, http://www.app.com the obituary, is in today's Asbury Park Press,
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:08 pm
It took me a while to find Louise Kee Boone, Sharon, but what a tribute to your husband's mother. So, she was a teacher, was she. Well, we do have something in common.

Here's one from Sir Elton for Louise.(my students said that this one was my theme song. Razz )

Elton John - Teacher I Need You

I was sitting in the classroom
Trying to look intelligent
In case the teacher looked at me
She was long and she was lean
She's a middle-aged dream
And that lady means the whole world to me

It's a natural achievement
Conquering my homework
With her image pounding in my brain
She's an inspiration
For my graduation
And she helps to keep the classroom sane

Oh teacher I need you like a little child
You got something in you to drive a schoolboy wild
You give me education in the lovesick blues
Help me get straight come out and say
Teacher I, teacher I, teacher I, Teacher I need you

I have to write a letter
Tell about my feelings
Just to let her know the scene
Focus my attention
On some further education
In connection with the birdies and the bees

So I'm sitting in the classroom
I'm looking like a zombie
I'm waiting for the bell to ring
I've got John Wayne stances
I've got Erroll Flynn advances
And it doesn't mean a doggoned thing
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:33 pm
Letty,
I was wondering whether you could readily find the notices on line. I belong to a group here, also. These folks, can find anything! Wish I could! Glad you could see what a celebrated life, she led. Her photo is in the newspaper, also. She was a very pretty, young woman, in her day! Thank you for all of the lovely songs and sentiments! I could feel the hug!
This group is filled with people of good will!
Sharon

Letty wrote:
It took me a while to find Louise Kee Boone, Sharon, but what a tribute to your husband's mother. So, she was a teacher, was she. Well, we do have something in common.

Here's one from Sir Elton for Louise.(my students said that this one was my theme song. Razz )

Elton John - Teacher I Need You

I was sitting in the classroom
Trying to look intelligent
In case the teacher looked at me
She was long and she was lean
She's a middle-aged dream
And that lady means the whole world to me

It's a natural achievement
Conquering my homework
With her image pounding in my brain
She's an inspiration
For my graduation
And she helps to keep the classroom sane

Oh teacher I need you like a little child
You got something in you to drive a schoolboy wild
You give me education in the lovesick blues
Help me get straight come out and say
Teacher I, teacher I, teacher I, Teacher I need you

I have to write a letter
Tell about my feelings
Just to let her know the scene
Focus my attention
On some further education
In connection with the birdies and the bees

So I'm sitting in the classroom
I'm looking like a zombie
I'm waiting for the bell to ring
I've got John Wayne stances
I've got Erroll Flynn advances
And it doesn't mean a doggoned thing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:10 pm
after a long time , the MEN OF THE DEEPS had a show on TV again .
they are retired coal miners from cape breton , nova scotia , who worked in the coal mines that extented under the ocean .
the mines have all been closed now , but they are trying to keep the tradition of singing alive - THE LAST OF A DYING BREED ! no more coal mining in cape breton !
we've seen them in live performances over the years - just RIVETING when they come out on the dark stage with only their miners' lamps for illumination !
hbg

http://www.nfb.ca/web428x321/Films/51220/51220_1.jpg

Quote:
Working Man

Chorus
It's a working man l am
And I've been down under ground
And I swear to God if l ever see the sun
Or for any length of time
I can hold it in my mind
I never again will go down under ground

At the age of sixteen years
Oh he quarrels with his peers
Who vowed they'd never see another one
In the dark recess of the mines
Where you age before your time
And the coal dust lies heavy on your lungs

Chorus

At the age of sixty-four
Oh he'll greet you at the door
And he'll gently lead you by the arm
Through the dark recess of the mines
Oh he'll take you back in time
And he'll tell you of the hardships that were had

Chorus
(Repeat Chorus)
(Repeat Chorus)

God I never again will go down under ground

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:20 pm
Well, all right, so I'm being foolish
Well, all right, let people know
About the dreams and wishes you wish
In the night when the lights are low

Well, all right, well all right
We'll live and love with all our might
Well, all right, well all right
Our lifetime love will be all right

Well, all right, so I'm going steady
It's all right when people say
That those foolish kids can't be ready

For the love that comes their way

Well, all right, well, all right

Buddy Holly
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:42 pm
hbg, I do wonder how those miners survived. I can only imagine how terrible that it must have been to work so hard for so little pay. Great picture, and it makes us remember that coal is no longer king, Canada. Doesn't a diamond come from coal?

This particular line is most impressive."....through the dark recess of the mine..."

Thank you, edgar, for the Buddy Holly song. I can still hear Don McLean singing about his widowed bride, the day the music died.

My evening song for Sunday, folks, and I send it to all of you regardless of your faith or lack thereof.

Jesus bleibet meine Freude,
meines Herzens Trost und Saft,
Jesus wehret allem Leide,
er ist meines Lebens Kraft,
meiner Augen Lust und Sonne,
meiner Seele Schatz und Wonne;
darum lass' ich Jesum nicht
aus dem Herzen und Gesicht. (from BWV 147, Chorale movement no. 10)

Wohl mir, dass ich Jesum habe,
o wie feste halt' ich ihn,
dass er mir mein Herze labe,
wenn ich krank und traurig bin.
Jesum hab' ich, der mich liebet
und sich mir zu eigen giebet,
ach drum lass' ich Jesum nicht,
wenn mir gleich mein Herze bricht. (from BWV 147, Chorale movement no. 6)

English Translation

Jesu, joy of man's desiring,
Holy Wisdom, Love most bright;
Drawn by Thee, our souls, aspiring,
Soar to uncreated light.
Word of God, our flesh that fashion'd,
With the fire of life impassion'd,
Striving still to truth unknown,
Soaring, dying, round Thy throne.

Through the way where hope is guiding,
Hark, what peaceful music rings!
Where the flock, in Thee confiding,
Drink of joy from deathless springs.
Theirs is beauty's fairest pleasure;
Theirs is wisdom's holiest treasure.
Thou dost ever lead Thine own
In the love of joys unknown.

Goodnight,
From Letty and Bach with love.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 06:01 am
Pilot Of The Airwaves
Charlie Dore

Pilot of the airwaves
Here is my request
You don't have to play it
But I hope you'll do your best
I've been listening to your show on the radio
And you seem like a friend to me

Or a record of your choice
I don't mind
I'd be happy just to hear your voice
Saying this is for the girl
Who didn't sign her name
Yes, she needs a dedication just the same

Late at night I'm still listening
Don't waste my time chasing sleep
People say I look weary
But that 's just the company I keep

Ooooh, you make the nighttime race
Ooooh, I don't need to see your face
You're sounding good (sounding good)
Sounding good to me

Pilot of the airwaves
Here is my request

---- Instrumental Interlude----

Late at night I'm still listening
Don't waste my time chasing sleep
People say I look weary
But that's just the company I keep

Ooooh, you make the nighttime race
Ooooh, I don't need to see your face
You're sounding good (sounding good)
Sounding good to me

Pilot of the airwaves
Here is my request
(Oooooh, I been) listening to your show on the radio

Oooooh-ooooh-oooooh
Oooooh-ooooh-oooooh
Oooooh-ooooh-oooooh
Play that song for me
Oooooh-ooooh-oooooh
Oh, won't you just play that song for me
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 06:43 am
Good morning, WA2k listening audience.

ah, edgar, what a perfect song for today. Here's one for you, Texas.

http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Graphics/Christmas.WStS/Christmas_Bells.sm.jpg

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
And in despair I bowed my head
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men."
Till ringing, singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime

Interesting, folks, that the last two stanzas of Longfellow's poem were omitted because it reflected the dispair of the Civil War.

There are two melodies to this poem that was set to music. I like them both.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:01 pm
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:03 pm
Sven Nykvist
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sven Vilhem Nykvist (3 December 1922 - 20 September 2006) was a Swedish cinematographer. He worked on over 120 films, but is known especially for his work with director Ingmar Bergman. He won Academy Awards for his work on two Bergman films, Cries and Whispers (Viskningar och rop) in 1973 and Fanny and Alexander (Fanny och Alexander) in 1983.

His work is generally noted for its naturalism and simplicity. He is considered by many to be one of the greatest cinematographers of all time.

Biography

Nykvist was born in Moheda, Kronobergs län, Sweden. His parents were Lutheran missionaries who spent most of their lives in the Belgian Congo, so Nykvist was raised by relatives in Sweden and saw his parents rarely. His father was a keen amateur photographer of African wildlife, which may have sparked Nykvist's interest in the visual arts.

A talented athlete in his youth, his first cinematic effort was to film himself taking a high jump, to improve his jumping technique. After a year at the Municipal School for Photographers in Stockholm, he entered the Swedish film industry at the age of 19.

In 1941, he became an assistant cameraman at Sandrews studio, working on The Poor Millionaire. He moved to Italy in 1943 to work at the Cinecittà, returning to Sweden two years later. In 1945, aged 23, he became a fully-fledged cinematographer, which his first solo credit on The Children from Frostmo Mountain.

He worked on many small Swedish films for the next few years, and spent some time with his parents in Africa filming wildlife, footage which was later released as a documentary entitled In the Footsteps of the Witch Doctor (also known as Under the Southern Cross).

Back in Sweden, he began to work with the legendary director Ingmar Bergman in 1953 on Sawdust and Tinsel (released in the US as The Naked Night). He was one of three cinematographers to work on that movie, the others being Gunnar Fischer and Hilding Bladh.

Sven Nykvist with director Ingmar Bergman during the production of Through a Glass Darkly, 1960.Nykvist would eventually become Bergman's full-time cinematographer and push the director's work in a new direction, away from the theatrical look of his earlier films. He worked as sole cameraman on Bergman's Oscar-winning films The Virgin Spring in 1959 and Through a Glass Darkly in 1960. He revolutionised the way we see close ups in Bergman's Persona in 1966.

After working with other Swedish directors, including Alf Sjöberg on The Judge (1960) and Mai Zetterling on Loving Couples (1964), he then worked in the United States and elsewhere, on: Richard Fleischer's The Last Run (1971); Louis Malle's Black Moon (1975) and Pretty Baby (1978); Roman Polanski's The Tenant (1976); Jan Troell's Hurricane (1979); Bob Rafelson's version of The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981); Agnes of God (1985); Woody Allen's Another Woman (1988) and Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989); Richard Attenborough's Chaplin (1992); Nora Ephron's Sleepless in Seattle (1993); and Lasse Hallström's What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993).

Nykvist won the Academy Award for Best Cinematography for two of his movies, Cries and Whispers (1973), and Fanny and Alexander (1982), both of which were Bergman films. He was also nominated for a Cinematograhy Oscar for The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988), and in the category of Best Foreign Language Film for The Ox (1991), in which he directed Max von Sydow and Liv Ullmann.

He won a special prize at the Cannes Film Festival for his work on The Sacrifice (1986), the last film of the Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky. He was the first European cinematographer to join the American Society of Cinematographers, and received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the ASC in 1996.

He wrote three books, including Curtain Call in 1999.

His wife, Ulrika, died in 1982. Nykvist's career was brought to a sudden end in 1998 when he was diagnosed with aphasia, and he died in 2006, aged 83.

He is survived by his son, Carl-Gustaf Nykvist, who directed his first film, Woman on the Roof, in 1989 and directed a documentary about his father, Light Keeps Me Company, 1999.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:06 pm
Andy Williams

Background information

Birth name Howard Andrew Williams

Also known as Andy Williams,
A Voice of National Treasure,
The Emperor of Easy,
The Emperor of Class,
The Crooning King,
The King of Easy Listening,
Mr. Moon River

Born December 3, 1927 (1927-12-03) (age 80)

Origin Wall Lake, Iowa, USA

Genre(s) Easy Listening,
Jazz,
Country,
Pop

Occupation(s) Singer,
Songwriter,
Actor,
Producer

Years active late 1930s - Present
Label(s) Sony BMG/Columbia/Cadence
Website AndyWilliams.com

Howard Andrew Williams (born December 3, 1927 in Wall Lake, Iowa), known as Andy Williams, is an American pop singer. Andy Williams has recorded 18 Gold [1] and 3 Platinum [2] certified albums. He has performed with Ray Charles, Elton John, Ella Fitzgerald, Simon and Garfunkel, Mama Cass and Michael Jackson. When Ronald Reagan was President, he declared Andy's voice to be "a national treasure". He has had his own TV show as well as starring in a number of films. He also owns his own theatre, the Moon River in Branson, Missouri.

Early life

Williams first performed in a children's choir at the local Presbyterian church. Williams and his three older brothers Dick, Don, and Bob, formed a quartet, the Williams Brothers, in the late 1930s, and they performed on radio in the Midwest, first at WHO in Des Moines, Iowa, and later at WLS in Chicago and WLW in Cincinnati. Williams graduated from Western Hills High School in Cincinnati. The Williams Brothers appeared with Bing Crosby on the hit record "Swinging on a Star" (1944). This led to a nightclub act with entertainer Kay Thompson from 1947 to 1951.

Solo career

Williams's solo career began in 1952 after his brothers left the act. He recorded six sides for RCA Victor's label "X," but none of them were popular hits. After landing a spot as a regular on Steve Allen's Tonight Show in 1955, he was signed to a recording contract with Cadence Records, a small label in New York run by conductor Archie Bleyer. His third single, "Canadian Sunset" (1956) hit the Top Ten, and was soon followed his only Billboard #1 hit, "Butterfly" (a cover of a Charlie Gracie record on which Williams imitated Elvis Presley). More hits followed, including "The Hawaiian Wedding Song," "Are You Sincere," "The Village of St. Bernadette," and "Lonely Street," before Williams moved to Columbia Records in 1961, having moved from New York to Los Angeles. In terms of chart popularity, the Cadence era was Williams's peak although songs he introduced on Columbia became much bigger standards. Two top ten hits from the Cadence era, "Butterfly" and "I Like Your Kind of Love" were apparently believed to not suit Williams's later style; they were not included on a Columbia reissue of his Cadence greatest hits in the 1960s. In 1964, Williams ultimately became the owner of the Cadence master tapes, which he did occasionally license to Columbia, including not only his own recordings, but those of his fellow Cadence-era labelmates, The Everly Brothers, Lenny Welch, The Chordettes, and Johnny Tillotson. In 1968, although he was still under contract with Columbia for his own recordings, Williams formed a separate company called Barnaby Records not only to handle reissuing of the Cadence material, especially that of The Everly Brothers (one of the first Barnaby LPs was a double LP set of the brothers long out of print Cadence hits) but new artists as well. Barnaby also had several Top 40 hits in the 70s with novelty artist Ray Stevens (who had done a summer replacement show for Williams in 1970), including Top 10s such as "Everything Is Beautiful" in 1970, and "The Streak" in 1974. Also in 1970, Barnaby signed and released the first album by an unknown singer-songwriter named Jimmy Buffett ("Down To Earth") Columbia initially was the distributor for Barnaby, but later distribution was handled first by MGM Records and then GRT. Once Barnaby ceased operating as a working record company at the end of the 1970s, Williams licensed the old Cadence material to various other labels (such as Varese & Rhino in the U.S.) after 1980.

During the 1960s, Williams became one of the most popular vocalists in the country and was signed to what was at that time the biggest recording contract in history. He was primarily an album artist, and at one time he had earned more gold albums than any solo performer except Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis and Elvis Presley. By 1973 he had earned as many as 18 gold album awards. Among his hit albums from this period were Moon River, Days of Wine and Roses (number one for 16 weeks in mid-1963), The Andy Williams Christmas Album, Dear Heart, The Shadow of Your Smile, Love, Andy, Get Together with Andy Williams, and Love Story. In these recordings Williams displays an incredible vocal technique along with an uncanny ability to make each song his very own, often rivaling or surpassing the version by the original artist. These attributes, along with his natural affinity for the music of the 1960s and early 1970s, combined to make him one of the premier easy listening singers of that era. In the UK, Williams continued to reach high chart status until 1978. The albums Can't Help Falling In Love (1970), Andy Williams Show (1970) Home Lovin Man ( #1 1971), Solitaire (1973), The Way We Were (1974) and Reflections (1978) all reached the Top 10.

Williams forged an indirect collaborative relationship with Henry Mancini, although they never recorded together. Williams was asked to sing Mancini and Johnny Mercer's song "Moon River" at the 1962 Oscar Awards (where it won), and it quickly became Williams's theme song. (Interestingly, "Moon River" was never a chart hit by Andy). The next year Williams sang "Days of Wine and Roses" which was written by Mancini and Mercer (this song also won). Two years later, he sang Mancini's "Dear Heart" at the 1965 awards and "The Sweetheart Tree" (also written with Mercer) at the 1966 awards.

In 1968, Columbia released a 45-rpm record of two songs Williams sang at the funeral of Robert F. Kennedy, a close friend: "Ave Maria" and "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". These were never released on a long-playing record.

Williams also competed in the teenage-oriented singles market as well and had several charting hits including "Can't Get Used to Losing You," "Happy Heart," and "Where Do I Begin", the theme song from the 1970 blockbuster film, Love Story. In addition Williams hit the UK Top 10 singles chart with, "Almost There" (1965),"Can't Help Falling In Love" (1970), "Home Lovin' Man"(1970) and "Solitaire"(1973). Building on his experience with Allen and some short-term variety shows in the 1950s, he became the star of his own weekly television variety show in 1962. This series, The Andy Williams Show, won three Emmy Awards for outstanding variety program. Among his series regulars were the Osmond Brothers. He gave up the variety show in 1971 while it was still popular and retrenched to three specials per year. His Christmas specials, which appeared regularly until 1974 and intermittently from 1982 into the 1990s, were among the most popular of the genre. Williams has recorded eight Christmas albums over the years. He hosted the Grammy Awards for three consecutive years in the 1970s. He returned to television to do a syndicated half-hour series in 1976-77.

In the early 1990s, Williams gave up most of his touring schedule in order to open his own theatre in Branson, Missouri, the Andy Williams Moon River Theater. He continues to do 8 to 12 shows a week in the spring, fall and Christmas seasons. He occasionally makes tours of Europe and Japan in the winter and summer. Andy Williams also invites guests to star with him at his theatre. The list has included Glen Campbell, Ann-Margaret, Petula Clark, and Charo.

His 1967 recording of "Music to Watch Girls By" was a surprise UK hit in 1999, when it reached number 9 after featuring in an advert (beating the original peak of number 33 in 1967). A new generation was reminded of Williams' recordings and a sell-out UK tour followed the success of the single, and he was given the nickname "The Emperor of Easy" in the UK. In 2002 he took part in a new duet of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" with British actress and singer Denise van Outen. Nearly everything Williams ever recorded has now been made available on CD through a series of compilations from 1997 to 2006.

Williams also sang the national anthem at Super Bowl VII in 1973 with Little Angels of Holy Angels Church in Chicago, Illinois

In 2007 Andy appeared as himself on a few episodes of As the World Turns - based at his Moon River Theatre. He has just completed a sold out ticket UK Tour 2007 in which he performed at several major concert halls including Royal Albert Hall, singing among other classics, Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately". This September he'll take the stage in Branson with Charo through the end of October. In November and December of this year he will present his annual Andy Williams Christmas Concert at his Moon River Theatre, followed by a "mini" Christmas tour in the western U.S. with stops tentatively scheduled in Los Angeles and Palm Desert, California among others.

Marriages

Williams met Claudine Longet when he pulled over to aid her on a Las Vegas road. She was a dancer at the time at the Folies Bergère. They married on Christmas Day, 1961, and had three children, Noelle, Christian, and Robert. They separated in 1969 and finally divorced six years later. In 1976 Longet was charged with fatally shooting her boyfriend, skier Vladimir "Spider" Sabich and Williams supported her. Williams was close friends with Robert F. Kennedy and Ethel Kennedy. The friendship with Ethel has endured, with him serving as her escort during the 1970s. He married a second time in May 1991 to the former Debbie Haas. They make their homes at Branson, Missouri and La Quinta, California. Williams' homes have been featured in Architectural Digest, and he is a noted collector of modern art. Williams is an avid golfer. He hosted a major golf tournament in San Diego from 1968 to 1988, which was known as the Andy Williams San Diego Open during that time.

Williams' birthplace is a tourist attraction open most of the year.

Trivia

Andy opened Caesar's Palace in 1966 and was the headline performer there for 20 years.
Originally, Singer/songwriters Barry and Robin Gibb offered the song How Can You Mend a Broken Heart to Williams, before ultimately recording it themselves, earning them their first U.S. #1 record on Billboard Magazine's Hot 100 list.
A persistent rumor states that Andy Williams, while a teenager, provided the dubbed singing voice of Lauren Bacall for her song "How Little We Know" in the movie To Have and Have Not. Bacall herself addressed it in her autobiography, stating that Williams did dub a couple of high notes for her, not the whole song.
The Moon River theatre was the first theatre ever to be featured in Architectural Digest.
Williams hosted Happy New Year America on CBS for a number of years. Between the start of the show and the countdown, he would try to reach a particular destination.
The Simpsons' Nelson Muntz is an Andy Williams fan. In the episode "Bart on the Road", he forces the gang to make a detour to Branson so he can see his idol. The bully is reduced to tears as Williams performs "Moon River" during the second encore.
Williams was the first host of the televised Grammy Awards.
His nephews, Andy and David Williams, were minor teen idols in the 1970s.
Opened the Moon River Grill in the spring of 2007 in Branson. The restaurant is decorated in photos from the Andy Williams' Television Show with stars including Elton John, Phyllis Diller and Sammy Davis Jr. Art is also featured in the restaurant, works by such artist as Andy Warhol and Robert Indiana.
Williams appeared on an episode of 1950s panel game show What's My Line as a mystery guest. He stumped the panel of his identity by concealing his voice. The panel thought he was a female.
Both Williams and Petula Clark recorded "Happy Heart" at the same time, just prior to his guest appearance on her second NBC-TV special. Unaware that she, too, was releasing the song as a single, he asked to perform it on the show. The exposure ultimately led to his having the bigger hit with the tune.
The song "Happy Heart" is played during the final scene, and throughout the end credits, of the Danny Boyle film Shallow Grave.
The greatest love song, according to Andy, is "Moon River", which was a hit for him in 1962.
Williams appeared in three episodes American soap opera As the World Turns in July 2007 as himself. The show shot four episodes on-location in Branson, Missouri.
Down to Earth is the first album by American popular music singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett. It was produced by Travis Turk and was initially released in 1970 on Andy Williams's small Barnaby Records label as Z 30093.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:10 pm
Jaye P. Morgan

Jaye P. Morgan (born Mary Margaret Morgan, December 3, 1931) is a retired popular American singer and game show panelist.

Early life

Morgan was born in Mancos, Colorado, but her family moved to California by the time she was in high school. In the late 1940s, at Verdugo Hills High School in Tujunga, Los Angeles, California, she served as class treasurer (and got the nickname "Jaye P." after the banker J. P. Morgan) and sang at school assemblies, accompanied by her brother on guitar.

1950s

In 1951, a year after graduation from Verdugo Hills, she made a recording of the song "Life Is Just a Bowl of Cherries" which made it to the Top Ten. Soon after, she received an RCA Victor recording contract and she had five hits in one year, including "That's All I Want from You," her biggest hit, which reached #3 on the charts. Other notable hits included "The Longest Walk" and "Pepper Hot Baby".

From 1954 to 1955, she was a vocalist on the television show "Stop the Music." In 1956 she had her own television show, named for her, and guested on a number of other variety shows as well. She was a charter member of the Robert Q. Lewis "gang" on Lewis's popular weekday show on CBS, and was featured on a special episode of The Jackie Gleason Show in which Lewis's entire company substituted for the vacationing Gleason.

1960s and '70s

After a period in the 1960s when she did very little in the entertainment field, confining herself to a small number of night club appearances, she returned to the public eye in the 1970s, mainly as an actress. She played herself on a 1973 episode (The Songwriter) of the sitcom The Odd Couple.

Morgan also guest starred on The Muppet Show (episode 218) in which she and Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem sang "That Old Black Magic."

Game Show Panelist

It was during the 1970s when she gained a new generation of fans as a witty but cheerfully caustic panelist on the game/variety shows The Gong Show and Rhyme and Reason in the late 1970s, and in the 1980 "behind-the-scenes" movie version of The Gong Show. She was also right at home on the raunchy Playboy Channel game show Everything Goes.

The "Gong Show"

It has been widely reported that Jaye P. Morgan was fired during the The Gong Show's last season for ripping her top off (with no bra underneath) while Gene Gene The Dancing Machine was onstage. The firing came from the NBC network's Standards and Practices department and not from either Chuck Barris or the show's other producers. The censors were reportedly having to bleep Morgan's comments and gestures as much as 10 times per episode, and as the show progressed the vulgarities increased in severity and duration to the point that they would actually interfere with the flow of the show. Morgan declines to discuss the firing other than to acknowledge it happened.[citation needed]

A clip of her exposing herself was saved, and later used in The Gong Show Movie, though it was NOT the only instance of Morgan baring her breasts on the show: in the tapes to other episodes (including an episode aired on GSN in 2007), she can be seen unbuttoning her blouse while Gene-Gene The Dancing Machine" comes onstage, then a quick camera cut, and a cut back to Morgan buttoning up again and returning to her seat. It is a different clip because she is wearing different clothes.[citation needed]

In Barris' first autobiography, he also mentioned another incident where Morgan bared her breasts to another act that WASN'T Gene-Gene.[1]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:13 pm
Daryl Hannah

Birth name Daryl Christine Hannah
Born December 3, 1960 (1960-12-03) (age 47)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Years active 1978-present

Daryl Christine Hannah (born December 3, 1960) is an American film actress. After making her screen debut in 1978, Hannah starred in a number of Hollywood films throughout the 1980s. She has recently had several notable roles, including that of Elle Driver in Kill Bill, after a hiatus from major roles during the 1990s.

Biography

Early life

Hannah was born in Chicago, Illinois, to Susan, and Don Hannah, a tugboat and barge company owner.[1] Her parents divorced shortly after her birth and her mother remarried Jerrold Wexler, a businessman and brother of Haskell Wexler, a noted cinematographer. Hannah, a vegetarian since age eleven, grew up with siblings Don Hannah and Page Hannah, as well as half sister Tanya Wexler. She attended school at Francis Parker and the Chicago Latin School in Chicago until 6th grade when she moved to Parker.

Hannah became interested in movies at a young age, due to insomnia. She was very shy and was diagnosed as 'borderline autistic'.[2] Hannah attended the private Francis W. Parker School (where she played on the boys' soccer team) and the University of Southern California.

Career

Hannah made her film debut in 1978, making a brief appearance in Brian De Palma's horror film The Fury. She subsequently appeared in several early 1980s films, the most notable role of which is probably as the replicant, Pris, in Ridley Scott's 1982 film, Blade Runner. Hannah was cast as a mermaid in Ron Howard's 1984 fantasy, Splash, which was a major financial success,[3] and established Hannah as a notable film actress.

Hannah's roles in the remainder of the 1980s ranged from successful major roles in Steel Magnolias and the Academy Award-winning Wall Street, to the 1986 film version of The Clan of the Cave Bear, Hannah also played the title role in Fred Schepisi's 1987 film Roxanne, a modern retelling of Edmond Rostand's play Cyrano de Bergerac, a performance which was described as "sweet" and "gentle" by film critic Roger Ebert.[4] She also appeared in The Pope of Greenwich Village with co-stars Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts.

She also appeared as the daughter of Jack Lemmon's character in both of the Grumpy Old Men films. In 1995, Hannah was chosen by Empire magazine as #96 of the "100 Sexiest Stars in film history". That same year, Hannah anticipated (by a decade) her Kill Bill role when she appeared as homicidal sociopath Leann Netherwood in The Tie That Binds.

Of Hannah's most recent roles, the better-known may be that of the one-eyed assassin Elle Driver in Kill Bill Volume 1 and Kill Bill Volume 2, directed by Quentin Tarantino. Her performance in these films, as well as her appearances in other recent films, including Northfork, Micheal Radfords' Dancing at the Blue Iguana, John Sayles' Casa de los Babys and Silver City, have been described as a cinematic comeback.[5]

Hannah wrote, directed and produced a short film, The Last Supper which won an award at the Berlin Film Festival. She directed, produced and was the cinematographer for the documentary Strip Notes. The documentary, which aired on Channel 4 London and HBO, was about the research she did for her role in the Michael Radford film Dancing at the Blue Iguana.

Hannah and actress Hilary Shepard co-created two board games, "Love It or Hate It" and "LIEbrary," [6][7] the latter having been previewed by Hannah on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in December 2005.

Personal life

Hannah, a keen environmentalist, has her own weekly video blog called DH Love Life (dhlovelife.com), on sustainable solutions. She is often the sound recordist, camera person and on-screen host for the blog.[8] Her home runs on solar power and is built with green materials. She also drives a car that runs on biodiesel.[9] In late 2006, she also volunteered to act as a judge for Treehugger.com's[10] "Convenient Truths" contest.[11]

Hannah has never married, but she had long-term relationships with John F. Kennedy, Jr. and singer Jackson Browne (she is the female voice on Browne's 1985 hit song with Clarence Clemons, "You're a Friend of Mine"), and was romantically linked with actor Val Kilmer. She is the sister-in-law of well-known music producer Lou Adler, who is married to Hannah's sister, Page.

On June 13, 2006, Hannah was arrested - along with Joan Baez and Julia Butterfly Hill - for her involvement with over 350 farmers and their families and their supporters, confronting authorities trying to bulldoze the nation's largest urban farm in South Central Los Angeles. She chained herself to a walnut tree at the South Central Farm in south-central Los Angeles for three weeks in order to protest the farmers' eviction by the property's new owner. The farm had been established in the wake of the 1992 LA riots to allow people in the city to grow food for themselves. However, the land's new owner, who had paid $5 million for it, sought to evict the farmers to build a warehouse. He had asked for $16 million to sell it but turned down the offer when the activists raised that amount. Hannah was interviewed via cell phone shortly before she was arrested, along with forty four other protesters, and said that she and the others are doing the "morally right thing".[12] She spent some time in jail.[13]

Hannah was featured in a CNET article listing the "top 10 geek girls" where it was mentioned she was extremely shy during her youth and was even diagnosed as being "borderline autistic".[14]

Hannah has also worked to help end the problem of sexual slavery and is traveling around the world to make a documentary about the problem.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:16 pm
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:18 pm
How the Holiday season began . . .

Three men died on Christmas Eve and were met by Saint Peter at the pearly gates.

"In honor of this holy season" Saint Peter said, "You must each possess something that symbolizes Christmas to get into heaven."

The first man fumbled through his pockets and pulled out a lighter. He flicked it on. "It represents a candle", he said.
"You may pass through the pearly gates" Saint Peter said.

The second man reached into his pocket and pulled out a set of keys. He shook them and said, "They're bells."
Saint Peter said "You may pass through the pearly gates".

The third man started searching desperately through his pockets and finally pulled out a pair of women's panties.
St. Peter looked at the man with a raised eyebrow and asked, "And just what do those symbolize?"
The man replied, "These are Carols."

And So The Christmas Season Begins......
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:38 pm
Ah, Boston Bob, that third man and his theme. Quite innovative, and we love it, hawkman. Lots of great bio's today, buddy. Thank you.

I had forgotten Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, folks, and it's a bit frightening to see today's parallel

For instance, this macabre song.

You can't kill me. I am living inside you.
I am a part of your existence
Twisted thoughts in a twisted mind
Provoking you

Black is my heart - dark is my soul
My hatred I can not control
Evil seed growing stronger
Your freewill... Dying!

Inside you - heart of darkness
A part of you - heart of darkness

To deny me, is to deny yourself.
The illusion is dissolved
You are no longer in control
The facade crumbles - the transition is complete

...The transition is complete

I come to you in the night
I am your dark subconscience
I keep you awake, knowing
I am the heart of darkness

By Arch Enemy

Those lyrics made me shiver in a warm and wonderful Florida.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:49 pm
on friday we'll be taking the train to toronto for a weekend in HOGTOWN or TRANNA as it is also known :wink:
friday night we'll be at roy thompson hall to listen to AND SEE (!) the
PRESERVATION HALL JAZZ BAND !
can't wait to see and hear them again ! i'll probably go "behind the curtains" after the performance to have a cd signed and chat a bit .
we saw them first at lincoln center in the mid-seventies . only one of the originals - the trombone player - is still alive , and new members have joined in .
it's always a real thrill for me and mrs h to listen to them .
so , i'm giving you a taste of their music !
hbg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/06/21/arts/21.preservation.span.jpg

Quote:
PLEASE DON'T TALK ABOUT ME WHEN I'M GONE
WRITERS SIDNEY CLARE, SAM H. STEPT

Please don't talk about me when I'm gone,
Oh, honey though our friendship ceases, from now on;
And, listen, if you can't say anything real nice,
It's better not to talk at all, is my advice.
We're parting, you go your way I'll go mine, it's best that we do;
Here's a kiss!
I hope that this brings lots of luck to you.
Makes no difference how I carry on,
Remember, please don't talk about me when I'm gone.

and on saturday we'll be at DIRTY DANCING ! the new smash musical -
quite a change .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 04:11 pm
Ah, hbg, you and the Mrs. are quite fortunate to be able to attend such wonderful concerts. I am never quite sure of the difference of Preservation Hall in New Orleans or the one that you are attending.

Love that song, incidentally. Did Mel Torme do that one as well?

Here's one one by Louis, folks

'Zat You, Santa Claus?
Gifts I'm preparing for some Christmas sharing,
But I pause because,
Hanging my stocking I can hear a knocking.
'Zat you, Santa Claus?
Sure is dark out, ain't the slightest spark out.
'Pon my slackened jaw!
Who's there? Who is it stopping for a visit?
'Zat you, Santa Claus?
Are you bringing a present for me,
Something pleasantly pleasant for me?
Then it's just what I've been waiting for.
Would you mind slipping it under the door?
Cold winds are howling, or could that be growling?
My legs feel like straws.
My my oh me my, kindly would you reply?
'Zat you, Santa Claus?
Hanging the stocking, I can hear a knocking.
'Zat you, Santa Claus?
I say, who's there, who is it? Are you stopping for a visit?
'Zat you, Santa Claus?
Oh there, Santa, you gave me a scare.
Now stop teasing cause I know you're there.
We don't believe in no goblins today,
But I can't explain why I'm shaking that way.
Bet I can see ole Santa in the keyhole.
I'll get to the cause.
One peek and I'll try there; oh oh, there's an eye there!
'Zat you, Santa Claus?
Please, please, pity my knees!
Say that's you, Santa Claus!

Hope our puppy is all right and not frozen.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 04:27 pm
Good day WA2K. Very Happy

Hamburger: I hope you'll tell us what you think of the stage version of Dirty Dancing.

Today's photo gallery: Joseph Conrad; Sven Nykvist; Andy Williams; Jaye P. Morgan; Darryl Hannah and Brendan Fraser

http://bp3.blogger.com/_Eudl3Jie6N8/RuJn5s-VGdI/AAAAAAAAADs/KQFdi1eclOk/S240/conrad.jpghttp://cylcultural.org/ladrilio/media/nyv.jpg
http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/969.%24plit/C_71_article_232044_image_list_image_list_item_90_image.jpghttp://cdn.channel.aol.com/amgmusic/artists/pic200/drp200/p239/p23936ob6df.jpg
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2006/news/060626/daryl_hannah2.jpghttp://www.relaxorium.com/mindspringbs/hmfrasier.jpg
0 Replies