WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:56 pm
edgar, your song reminded me of "A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation." Thanks, Texas.

And another vote of appreciation goes to hbg for his discovery.

Sharon, Bob has a million of them. Razz

Ah, yes, folks. What a little googling can do.

And from Lady Day.

Ooh, ooh, ooh
What a little moonlight can do
Ooh, ooh, ooh
What a little
moonlight can do to
you
You're in love
Your heart's
fluttering all day
long
You only stutter cause
your poor tongue
Just will not utter the words
'I love you'
Ooh, ooh, ooh
[ Lyrics provided by www.mp3lyrics.org ]
Wait a while
Till a little moonbeam
comes peepin' through
You'll get bold
You can't resist him
All you'll say
When you have kissed him is
Ooh, ooh, ooh

Ooh, ooh, ooh

I know that for certain, cause I just looked at the moon and I quit hurtin'
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 07:32 pm
Eight miles high and when you touch down
You'll find that it's stranger than known
Signs in the street that say where you're going
Are somewhere just being their own

Nowhere is there warmth to be found
among those afraid of losing their ground
Rain gray town known for its sound
In places small faces unbound

Round the squares huddled in storms
Some laughing some just shapeless forms
Sidewalk scenes and black limousines
Some living some standing alone

The Byrds
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:35 pm
Moonlight Gambler
Frankie Laine

[Words by Bob Hilliard and Music by Phil Springer]

SPOKEN:
You can gamble for match sticks, you can gamble for gold
The stakes may be heavy or small
But if you haven't gambled for love and lost
You haven't gambled at all

They call me a moonlight gambler
I've gambled for love and lost
When I gamble for love and it isn't in the cards
Oh, what heartaches it can cost me

Win or lose, I'm a moonlight gambler
And a winner is what I long to be
So I'll gamble for love just as long as I live
Till the day Lady Luck smiles at me

You can gamble for match sticks
You can gamble for gold
The stakes may be heavy or small
But if you haven't gambled for love and lost
Then you haven't gambled at all

No, if you haven't gambled for love in the moonlight
Then you haven't gambled at all

So I'll gamble for love just as long as I live
Till the day Lady Luck smiles at me

They call me the moonlight gambler
They call me the moonlight gambler
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:11 am
Good morning, WA2K folks.

Ah, edgar, Frankie and the Byrds; moonlight and roses; all come back like shadows of the mind.

It is my pleasure to announce hebba's new sculpture gallery, all.

sculptures by hebba

Very unusual creations from wood, so when our audience has a chance, you might want to visit.

A wave from a friendly fowl for the upcoming holiday.

http://www.infomi.com/images/Turkey.gif

And what are you thankful for today?

Tennessee Ernie Ford - Come Ye Thankful People

Come, ye thankful people, come, raise the song of harvest home;
All is safely gathered in, ere the winter storms begin.
God our Maker doth provide for our wants to be supplied;
Come to God's own temple, come, raise the song of harvest home.

All the world is God's own field, fruit unto His praise to yield;
Wheat and tares together sown unto joy or sorrow grown.
First the blade and then the ear, then the full corn shall appear;
Lord of harvest, grant that we wholesome grain and pure may be.

For the Lord our God shall come, and shall take His harvest home;
From His field shall in that day all offenses purge away,
Giving angels charge at last in the fire the tares to cast;
But the fruitful ears to store in His garner evermore.

Even so, Lord, quickly come, bring Thy final harvest home;
Gather Thou Thy people in, free from sorrow, free from sin,
There, forever purified, in Thy garner to abide;
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 07:00 am
Thanks for the announcement Letty.
You´re welcome to post your thoughts and be the first on my thread.
Too weird, is it?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 07:08 am
Hey, hebba. Your sculptures are unusual, and that is what makes them good. I most certainly will respond when I have had time to collect my thoughts, my friend. I am, by no means, a critic of note, but I will be honest and tell you what I think. I hope everyone here will do so as well.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 08:20 am
Eleanor Powell
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Eleanor Torrey Powell
Born November 21, 1912(1912-11-21)
Springfield, Massachusetts, U.S.
Died February 11, 1982 (aged 69)
Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Occupation Actress & Dancer
Spouse(s) Glenn Ford (1943-1959)
Children Peter Ford
Official site http://classicmoviefavorites.com/powell/

Eleanor Torrey Powell (November 21, 1912 - February 11, 1982) was an American film actress and dancer of the 1930s and 1940s, known for her exuberant solo tap dancing.

Biography

Eleanor Torrey Powell was born in Springfield, Massachusetts. A dancer since childhood, she was discovered at the age of 11 by the head of the Vaudeville Kiddie revue, Gus Edwards. When she was 17, she brought her graceful, athletic style to Broadway, where she starred in various revues and musicals. During this time, she was dubbed "the world's greatest tap dancer" due to her machine-gun footwork, and in the early 1930s appeared as a background performer in a couple of early, inconsequential musical films.

Road to Hollywood

In 1935, the leggy, fresh-faced Powell made the move to Hollywood and did a specialty number in her first major film, George White's 1935 Scandals which she later described as a disaster due in part to her accidentally being made up to look like an Egyptian due to a mix-up prior to filming her scene. The experience left her unimpressed with Hollywood. Nonetheless, she was courted by MGM, but initially refused their offers of a contract. Reportedly, Powell attempted to dissuade the studio by making what she felt were unreasonable salary demands, but MGM agreed and she finally accepted. The studio groomed her for her future stardom making minimal changes in her makeup and conduct.

Film stardom

She was well-received in her first starring role in 1935's Broadway Melody of 1936 (in which she was supported by Jack Benny and Frances Langford), and delighted 1930s audiences with her endless energy and enthusiasm, not to mention her stunning dancing. According to dancer Ann Miller, quoted in the "making-of" documentary about That's Entertainment! III, MGM was headed for bankruptcy in the late 1930s, but the films of Eleanor Powell, particularly Broadway Melody of 1936 were so popular they made the company profitable again. Miller also credits Powell for inspiring her own dancing career, which would eventually lead her to become an MGM musical star a decade later.

Powell would go on to star opposite many of the decade's top leading men such as Jimmy Stewart, Robert Taylor, Fred Astaire, George Murphy, Nelson Eddy, and Robert Young. Films she made during the height of her career in the mid-to-late 1930s co-starred these men and others and included Born to Dance (1936), Rosalie (1937), Broadway Melody of 1938 (1937), Honolulu (1939), and Broadway Melody of 1940 (1940). All of these movies featured her amazing solo tapping, although her increasingly huge production numbers began to attract criticism. Her characters also often sang, but Powell's singing voice was usually (but not always) overdubbed (this would also happen to one of Powell's successors, Cyd Charisse). Broadway Melody of 1940, in which Powell starred opposite Fred Astaire, featured an acclaimed musical score by Cole Porter. Together, Astaire and Powell danced to Porter's "Begin The Beguine", which is considered by many to be one of the greatest tap sequences in film history. According to accounts of the making of this film, including a documentary included on the DVD release, Astaire was somewhat intimidated by Powell, who was considered at the time the only female dancer capable of out-dancing Astaire. In his autobiography Steps in Time, Astaire remarked: "She 'put 'em down like a man', no ricky-ticky-sissy stuff with Ellie. She really knocked out a tap dance in a class by herself."

Decline in popularity

Following Broadway Melody of 1940 Powell was sidelined for many months following a gall stone operation and things changed somewhat for the worse, at least as far as Powell's movie career was concerned. 1941's Lady Be Good gave Powell top billing and a classic dance routine to "Fascinatin' Rhythm", but Robert Young and Ann Sothern were the actual stars of the film. The same happened with Red Skelton in Ship Ahoy (1942) and I Dood It (1943), although in Ship Ahoy her character nonetheless played a central role in the story, and Powell's dance skills were put to practical use when she manages to tap out a morse code message to a secret agent in the middle of a dance routine.

She was signed to play opposite Dan Dailey in For Me and My Gal in 1942, but the two actors were removed from the picture during rehearsals and replaced by Gene Kelly and Judy Garland. Later, production of a new Broadway Melody film that would have paired Powell with Kelly was also cancelled.

She parted ways with MGM in 1943 after her next film, Thousands Cheer, in which she appeared only for a few minutes to perform a specialty number (as part of an all-star cast), and the same year married Canadian-born lead actor Glenn Ford. She danced in a giant pinball machine in Sensations of 1945 (1944) for United Artists, but this picture was a critical and commercial disappointment, Powell's performance overshadowed by what was to be the final film appearance of W.C. Fields. Powell retired from the cinema afterwards to concentrate on raising her son, actor Peter Ford, who was born that year (although she did appear in a couple of documentary-style short subjects about celebrities in the late 1940s). Overseas audiences did get to see one additional Powell dance performance in 1946, however, when the compilation The Great Morgan was released, which included a number that had been cut[1] from Honolulu.

In 1950, Powell returned to MGM one last time for a cameo in Duchess of Idaho, starring Esther Williams. Appearing as herself in a nightclub scene, a hesitant Powell is invited to dance by Van Johnson's character, and she begins with a staid, almost balletic performance until she is chided by Johnson for being lazy. She then strips off her skirt, revealing her famous legs, and proceeds to perform a "boogie-woogie"-style specialty number very similar to the one she performed in Thousands Cheer seven years earlier. Williams, in her autobiography The Million Dollar Mermaid, writes of being touched watching Powell rehearsing until her feet bled in order to make her brief cameo as perfect as possible.

Later career: TV and stage

After Duchess of Idaho, Powell returned to private life. In May 1952, she emerged as a guest star on an episode of Four Star Revue with Danny Thomas and June Havoc. Around this time, she was ordained a minister of the Unity Church and later hosted an Emmy Award-winning Sunday morning TV program for youth entitled The Faith of Our Children (1953 - 1955). Her son, Peter Ford, was a regular on this show and would later find his own success as a rock and roll singer and as an actor. In 1955, Powell made her last-ever film appearance when she appeared in Have Faith in Our Children, a three-minute short film produced for the Variety Club of Northern California in which Powell asked viewers to donate to the charity. The short, which other than its title had no relation to the TV series, marked the only time Powell appeared on screen with her husband, Glenn Ford.

Powell divorced Ford in 1959, and that year, encouraged by Peter, launched a highly-publicized nightclub career, maintaining her good figure and looks well into middle age. Her live performances continued well into the 1960s. During the early 1960s she made several guest appearances on variety TV programs, including The Ed Sullivan Show and The Hollywood Palace.

Reintroduction

Powell was reintroduced to audiences in the popular That's Entertainment! documentary in 1974, and its sequels That's Entertainment Part II (1976) and That's Entertainment! III (1994) which spotlight her dancing from films such as Broadway Melody of 1940, Lady Be Good, and Born to Dance.

Eleanor Powell died of cancer at the age of 69, and was interred in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Hollywood.

In more recent years most of Powell's films have lapsed into relative obscurity, with only Broadway Melody of 1940 currently available on DVD in North America as of 2006, although two of her production numbers from Broadway Melody of 1936 were included as bonus features on the 2002 special edition DVD release of Singin' in the Rain, and a clip from Honolulu can be glimpsed in a documentary included as a bonus feature with the 2005 DVD release of The Wizard of Oz. In addition, the three That's Entertainment films are also available on DVD. That's Entertainment! III is notable for including behind-the-scenes footage of her "Fascinatin' Rhythm" routine from Lady Be Good. Her films play regularly on the cable network Turner Classic Movies.

In February 2007, Warner Home Video announced plans to release a boxed DVD set of Eleanor Powell's musical films by year end.[2]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 08:24 am
Marlo Thomas

Birth name Margaret Julia Thomas
Born November 21, 1937 (1937-11-21) (age 69)
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
Spouse(s) Phil Donahue (1980-present)
[show]Awards
Emmy Awards
Outstanding Children's Program
1974 Free to Be… You and Me
1989 Free to Be… a Family

Outstanding Lead Actress - Miniseries or a Movie
1986 Nobody's Child

Marlo Thomas (born Margaret Julia Thomas on November 21, 1937 in Detroit, Michigan) is an American actress, who first achieved fame on the TV series That Girl in the 1960s.

She is the daughter of the late Lebanese-American comedian Danny Thomas and sister of Tony Thomas, a TV and film producer, and Terre Thomas, a former actress. Her mother, Rose Marie Mantell, was the adopted daughter of Italian Americans and died in 2000.

Thomas was born in Detroit, but grew up in Beverly Hills, California, and went by the nickname of Margie Thomas while attending school. She attended Marymount High School in Los Angeles. After graduating from the University of Southern California with a teaching degree, Thomas appeared as a regular on The Joey Bishop Show (1961-1962).

She followed the series with guest shots on Ben Casey, My Favorite Martian, and Bonanza, but it was not until 1966 that she hit her professional stride as aspiring New York actress Ann Marie on the ABC sitcom That Girl. The series ran until 1971, garnering her a Golden Globe Award and four Emmy nominations.

Anxious to show she was as adept at drama as she was at comedy, she proved herself in the television movies It Happened One Christmas (1977) (a remake of It's a Wonderful Life, with Thomas in the rewritten James Stewart role), Nobody's Child (1986) , and The Lost Honor Of Kathryn Beck (1984), while she starred in Jenny (1970) and Thieves (1977) on the big screen.

Thomas's Broadway theatre credits include Thieves (1974), Social Security (1986), and The Shadow Box (1994).

She is also known for her children's books and the recordings and television specials created in conjunction with them: Free to Be… You and Me (1972 and 1974) and Free to Be . . . A Family (1987), with Christopher Cerf), which were born out of an attempt to teach her then-young niece Dionne about life. She is donating all royalties from her 2004 book and CD, Thanks & Giving: All Year Long (also produced with Cerf), to the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. Started by her late father, the organization helps young children suffering from grave forms of disease, especially cancer and leukemia, including many whose parents do not have much money or health insurance; the services are free to all patients, although insurance is accepted from those who are insured.

Thomas has continued her legacy of charity and donation through her publications of The Right Words at the Right Time (6 January 2004, Atria Books ISBN 0-7434-4650-X) and The Right Words at the Right Time Volume 2 (25 April 2006, Atria Books ISBN 0-7434-9743-0). Both books are collections of essays written by celebrities and fans of Thomas, explaining when a friend, family member or perfect stranger said the right thing in the author's time of need. All proceeds go to her charity (St. Jude's Hospital).

Thomas's favorable public image came under severe attack in 1990 when her former butler Desmond Atholl wrote a book called That Girl and Phil. This was an expose of sorts of the years he worked for her. Atholl claimed that contrary to her public image, Marlo Thomas was cruel and foul mouthed towards her staffers, and servants.

In recent years, Thomas has appeared in guest shots on Ally McBeal, Friends (as Rachel's mother), and made several guest appearances on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, playing attorney and former judge, Mary Conway Clark, who had a mentoring relationship with assistant District Attorney, Casey Novak. She also appeared in the 2000 comedy Playing Mona Lisa with Alicia Witt and Harvey Fierstein.

Thomas is the recipient of four Emmy Awards. She has been married to talk show host Phil Donahue since 1980. She has no children, but is step-mother to Donahue's five children from his previous marriage. The couple lives in New York City, but Thomas travels to Los Angeles for work or to receive donations to her charity, Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital. (Producer David Geffen contributed $1,000,000 by simply writing Thomas a check when she was on location in L.A. filming Friends some years ago.)

Trivia

On Will & Grace, the character Karen Walker resides in the same neighborhood as Marlo Thomas, whom she "hates," although she is said to be quite "fond of Phil." Marlo Thomas is referred to by Karen throughout the series.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 08:27 am
Juliet Mills

Birth name Juliet Maryon Mills
Born November 21, 1941 (1941-11-21) (age 66)
London, England
Spouse(s) Russell Alquist Jr. (1961-1964)
Michael Miklenda (1975-1980)
Maxwell Caulfield (1980-)
[show]Awards
Emmy Awards
Outstanding Supporting Actress - Miniseries/Movie
1975 QB VII

Juliet Mills (born Juliet Maryon Mills on November 21, 1941 in London) is an English character actress, most famous for her roles on shows such as Nanny and the Professor and Passions. In both series, she plays characters who possess magical powers; but while her character Phoebe in Nanny was presented as friendly and magical, Tabitha Lenox of Passions is a witch who wishes harm on many people (in an ironic twist, her Passions alter ego brought a doll that resembles her Nanny alter ego to life in a 2005 episode). Her Passions character has since softened, and was proclaimed a "good witch" in the 4 June 2007 episode. [1] Mills also starred in Avanti!, a notable 1972 film which co-starred Jack Lemmon and was directed by Billy Wilder.

Mills is the daughter of the late actor Sir John Mills, and the late playwright Mary Hayley Bell. She is the older sister of actress Hayley Mills and of director Jonathan Mills.

Mills won an Emmy Award for "Outstanding Single Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Comedy or Drama Special" for the miniseries adaptation of QB VII (1974). She had previously received Golden Globe Award nominations in 1971 and 1973 for Nanny and the Professor and Avanti!, respectively. In 2005, Mills was nominated for her first Daytime Emmy Award for "Outstanding Lead Actress" for Passions.

Mills was an occasional guest on the game show Match Game.

Personal life and family

From 1961 to 1964, Mills was married to Russell Alquist Jr., with whom she had a son, Sean. She married Michael Miklenda, with whom she had a daughter, Melissa, before divorcing him in 1980. In 1980, Mills married actor Maxwell Caulfield, who is 18 years her junior.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 08:31 am
Goldie Hawn

Birth name Goldie Jean Studlendgehawn
Born November 21, 1945 (1945-11-21) (age 62)
Washington, D.C.
Years active 1967-present
Spouse(s) Gus Trikonis (1969-1976)
Bill Hudson (1976-1980)
Partner(s) Kurt Russell (1982-)
Children Oliver Hudson (b.1976)
Kate Hudson (b.1979)
Wyatt Russell (b.1986)
[show]Awards
Academy Awards
Best Supporting Actress
1969 Cactus Flower
Golden Globe Awards
Best Supporting Actress - Motion Picture
1969 Cactus Flower

Goldie Hawn (born Goldie Jean Studlendgehawn on November 21, 1945) is an Academy Award-winning American actress, director and producer. She is known for starring in a series of successful film comedies during the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. Her daughter is Kate Hudson, who is also an Oscar-nominated actress. Her son, Oliver Hudson, is a television and film actor as well.

Early life

Hawn was born in Washington, DC, to Edward Rutledge Hawn (a band musician who played at major events in Washington) and Laura Steinhoff (a jewelery shop/ dance school owner); she has a sister, Patricia, and had a brother, Edward, who died before she was born. She was raised in Takoma Park, Maryland. Her father, a descendant of Edward Rutledge (a signer of the Declaration of Independence), was a Presbyterian of part German and part Dutch descent. Her mother was Jewish-American, the daughter of Max Steinhoff and Fanny Weiss, immigrants from Hungary;[2] Hawn was raised in the Jewish religion, although she attended church and the family did celebrate Christmas.[3]

Hawn began taking ballet and tap dance lessons at the age of three, and danced in the chorus of the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo production of The Nutcracker in 1955. She made her stage debut in 1961, playing Juliet in a Virginia Stage Company production of Romeo and Juliet. By 1964, she ran and instructed a ballet school, having dropped out of American University, where she was majoring in drama.

In 1964, Hawn, who graduated from Montgomery Blair High School(Class of 1963), made her professional dancing debut in a production of Can-Can at the Texas Pavilion of the New York World's Fair. She began working as a professional dancer a year later, and appeared as a go-go dancer in New York City.

Career

1960s

Hawn began her acting career as a cast member of the short-lived situation comedy Good Morning, World during the 1967-1968 television season, her role being that of the girlfriend of a radio disc jockey, with a stereotypical "dumb blonde" personality. Her next role which brought her to international attention was as one of the regular cast members on the 1960s sketch comedy show, Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. On the show, she would often break out into high-pitched giggles in the middle of a joke, and deliver a polished performance a moment after. Noted equally for her chipper attitude as for her bikini and painted body, Hawn personified something of a 1960s "It" girl. This persona was parlayed into three popular film appearances in the late 1960s and early 1970s: Butterflies are Free, There's a Girl in My Soup and Cactus Flower. Hawn won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her work in Cactus Flower (1969), which was her first film role and which co-starred Walter Matthau and Ingrid Bergman.

1970s-1990s

Hawn remained a popular figure in entertainment into the 1970s and 1980s, appearing in many films (generally comedies), and moving into film production as well. She gathered great respect as a comedy actress and was nominated for an Academy Award as a leading actress for her role in 1980s Private Benjamin, which was one of a series of successful comedies that she had starred in, also including Foul Play, Best Friends, Overboard, and Bird on a Wire. Her career slowed down a bit until 1992, when she appeared opposite Bruce Willis and Meryl Streep in the film Death Becomes Her. She also played an aging actress in the financially successful 1996 film, The First Wives Club, opposite Bette Midler and Diane Keaton, with whom she covered the Lesley Gore hit "You Don't Own Me" for the film's soundtrack. In 1992 she costarred with Steve Martin in the Oscar winning comedy "The HouseSitter." Hawn also performed a cover version of the Beatles' song, "A Hard Day's Night", on George Martin's 1998 album, In My Life.

She made one foray into directing with the television film Hope (1997), starring Christine Lahti and Jena Malone.

2000s

In 2000 Hawn co-starred with Warren Beatty and Diane Keaton once again in Town & Country, a critical and financial fiasco. Budgeted at an estimated US$90 million, the film opened to little notice and grossed only $7 million in its North American theatrical run.[4] As of 2006, her last film appearance was in the 2002 film The Banger Sisters.

In 2005, Hawn's autobiography, A Lotus Grows in the Mud, was published. Hawn claims that the book is not a Hollywood tell-all, but rather a memoir and record of what she has learned in her life so far.

Hawn announced in an interview with AARP's magazine that her next film project would be called Ashes to Ashes and co-star her partner Kurt Russell. The film is about a New York widow who loses her late husband's ashes in India.[5]

Personal life

Relationships and family

Hawn was married to Gus Trikonis from 1969 to 1976. She married Bill Hudson, of the Hudson Brothers, in 1976; the two divorced in 1980 and have two children, Oliver (born 1976) and Kate Hudson (born 1979), both of whom are now noted actors.

Hawn has been in a relationship with actor Kurt Russell since 1982, when the two reconnected on the set of Swing Shift (they previously met while filming 1968's The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band). The couple have a son together, Wyatt Russell, who lives in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, learning and playing hockey. Wyatt is currently a goalie with the Brampton Capitals of the Ontario Provincial Junior A Hockey League. He starts college in 2007 and will be playing for the CHA Champion University of Alabama in Huntsville Chargers. She also is stepmother to Kurt Russell's son Boston. Hawn became a grandmother on January 7, 2004, when her daughter, Kate Hudson, gave birth to son Ryder Russell Robinson. She then became a grandmother for a second time when son, Oliver Hudson and his wife, actress Erinn Bartlett, welcomed their son Wilder Brooks Hudson, on August 23, 2007.

Religion

Hawn became involved in Eastern philosophy in 1972. She was raised Jewish but is now a practicing Buddhist and has raised her children in both Buddhist and Jewish traditions. She has stated on the Larry King Show that she is a Jewish Buddhist, but neither more Jewish nor more Buddhist.[6] Even though she might have converted to Buddhism, she has said in an interview that she never had to forsake her Jewish heritage to embrace Buddhism. In many interviews, she states that she still holds Jewish beliefs and her Jewish religion and heritage comes before Buddhism.[7] Hawn travels to India annually, and has visited Israel, stating that she felt a strong identification with its people.[3]

Moreover, Hawn founded and funds the Goldie Hawn Institute, formerly called the Bright Lights Foundation. The institute teaches the Buddhist technique of mindfulness training; where fourth through seventh graders are instructed in mindful awareness techniques and positive thinking skills, then tested for changes in behavior, social and emotional competence, and moral development. One school official reports that in one classroom, the children went from having the most behavioral problems, to having zero behavioral problems.

Hawn realizes that many parents oppose bringing Buddhist methods into public schools, and recently stated in Greater Good magazine, published by Greater Good Science Center: "There will always be people who see this as scary, or as some kind of Eastern philosophy that they don't want for their kids." Hawn adds, "Mindfulness gives kids a tool for understanding how their brain works, for having more self-control."

Politics

Goldie Hawn is a self-described humanist and liberal with libertarian tendencies. She endorsed Al Gore in 2000 but withheld her endorsement in the 2004 election cycle. Her partner, Kurt Russell, is a member of the Libertarian Party and a ranking member of the National Rifle Association (NRA) who supported George W. Bush in both election cycles.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 08:35 am
Sitting on the side of the highway waiting to catch speeding drivers, a State Police Officer see's a car puttering along at 22 MPH.

He thinks to himself, "This driver is just as dangerous as a speeder!"So he turns on his lights and pulls the driver over.

Approaching the car, he notices that there are five old ladies, two in the front seat and three in the back, wide eyed and white as ghosts.

The driver, obviously confused, says to him, "Officer, I don't understand, I was doing exactly the speed limit! What seems to be the problem?"

"Ma'am," the officer replies, "You weren't speeding, but you should know that driving slower than the speed limit can also be a danger to other drivers."

"Slower than the speed limit? No sir, I was doing the speed limit exactly twenty-two miles an hour!" the old woman says a bit proudly.

The State Police officer, trying to contain a chuckle explains to her that "22" was the route number, not the speed limit.

A bit embarrassed, the woman grinned and thanked the officer for pointing out her error.

"But before I let you go, Ma'am, I have to ask... Is everyone in this car OK? These women seem awfully shaken and they haven't muttered a single peep this whole time," the officer asks.

"Oh, they'll be all right in a minute officer. We just got off Route 142."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:51 am
Thanks, Bob, for the great bio's, and that little old lady driver must have been from Pasadena.

We did a little theater presentation of Butterflies Are Free, so let's do this one for Goldie and Kurt. My word, folks. I just remember that Calamity Jane met them on a plane. Razz

Don't close your hand
Just close your eyes
And I will stay right by your side
And if this world turns cruel & cold
Look to the skies
Don't you see the truth?
The power of one, the power of two
The power of me loving you

CHORUS:
Butterflies are free
Free to come and go
Free to spread their wings
Know that I know
You'll come back to me
Cause love like butterflies are free

You see a light
You hear the call
And if I don't let you fly
I don't know you at all

So go on and roam
See all that you can
Born unto this earth a curious soul
You and you alone
can make you feel whole
But don't I add truth
you've never known

CHORUS

The tighter the grip
The more you'll resist
It's human nature I suppose
But I'd rather be surprised by a kiss
Then under your control

CHORUS

Free to come and go
Know that I know
You'll come back to me

CHORUS

CHORUS

Free to come and go
You'll come back to me
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:07 pm
Good afternoon. Very Happy

Today's celeb B.D. gallery:

Eleanor Powell (That lady could tap); Marlo Thomas; Juliet Mills and Goldie Hawn

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_03_img1284.jpghttp://www.mikesackett.net/writingworkshop/marlo.jpg
http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/juliet-mills1.jpghttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41195000/jpg/_41195437_goldie300.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:27 pm
Hey, Raggedy. Great quartet today, PA.

I'm certain that our teenyboone/Sharon will be taken with Eleanor, folks, as I am taken with George Gershwin.

So, let's move with this rhythm, shall we? It's fascinating. <smile>

George Gershwin

Got a little rhythm, a rhythm, a rhythm
That pit-a-pats through my brain;
So darn persistent,
The day isn't distant
When it'll drive me insane.
Comes in the morning
Without any warning,
And hangs around me all day.
I'll have to sneak up to it
Someday, and speak up to it.
I hope it listens when I say:

Refrain:
Fascinating Rhythm,
You've got me on the go!
Fascinating Rhythm,
I'm all a-quiver.

When a mess you're making!
The neighbours want to know
Why I'm always shaking
Just like a flivver.

Each morning I get up with the sun -
Start a-hopping,
Never stopping -
To find at night no work has been done.

I know that
Once it didn't matter -
But now you're doing wrong;
When you start to patter
I'm so unhappy.

Won't you take a day off?
Decide to run along
Somewhere far away off -
And make it snappy!

Oh, how I long to be the girl I used to be!
Fascinating rhythm,
On won't you stop picking on me
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 03:39 pm
Letty,
I am! 3 of my favorite people. I have to say that Marlo and Goldie, have always been my favorites! Loved their on screen personalities! Don't know if my old bones will allow me to get up and dance, today. Cool up here, in NJ. I should be in sunny Florida, this time of the year! Happy Turkey Day, All! The Gumbo, is ready!

quote="Raggedyaggie"]Good afternoon. Very Happy

Today's celeb B.D. gallery:

Eleanor Powell (That lady could tap); Marlo Thomas; Juliet Mills and Goldie Hawn

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_03_img1284.jpghttp://www.mikesackett.net/writingworkshop/marlo.jpg
http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/juliet-mills1.jpghttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41195000/jpg/_41195437_goldie300.jpg[/quote] Cool
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 03:57 pm
Ah, Sharon, one of the things that I miss the most is dancing. Why is it that musicians seem to be so heavy of foot, folks? I always had to drag my husband on the dance floor and he was one helluva acoustic bass man.

Love chicken gumbo, gal, and my son, when he was small called it Dead Turkey Day.

One of my favorite dance songs.

this version by Taco

(What we're gonna do?)
(Gonna do what?)
(Hey - what we're gonna do, c'mon)
(C'mon, c'mon, what we're gonna do)

There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music and love and romance
Let's face the music and dance

Before the fiddlers have fled
Before they ask us to pay the bill and while you still have the chance
Let's face the music and dance

Soon, we'll be without the moon
Humming a different tune, and then

There may be teardrops to shed
So while there's moonlight and music and love and romance
Let's face the music and dance, dance
Let's face the music and dance (dance - dance - dance)

Here's a mini bio of Taco.

Taco Ockerse (born 21 July, 1955) is a singer popularly known as Taco. Taco was born to a Dutch couple in Jakarta. He gained international stardom when in 1982 he recorded a distinctive cover record of the old Irving Berlin favorite, Puttin' on the Ritz in Germany, which made him famous early the next year (United States Billboard chart number 4). It has been reported that he did not speak any English at all and merely read the lyrics from transliterations, but this is false: Taco's first language is English, and he has always performed in English. He also speaks German, Dutch, and French.

His releases include After Eight in 1982 and Let's Face The Music in 1984 for RCA, Swing Classics / In The Mood Of Glenn Miller in 1985 and Tell Me That You Like It in 1986.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:18 pm
Do you love me, or are you just extending goodwill?
Do you need me half as bad as you say, or are you just feeling guilt?
I've been burned before and I know the score
So you won't hear me complain.
Will I be able to count on you
Or is your love in vain?

Are you so fast that you cannot see that I must have solitude?
When I am in the darkness, why do you intrude?
Do you know my work, do you know my pain
Or must I explain?
Will you let me be myself
Or is your love in vain?

Well I've been to the mountain and I've been in the wind,
I've been in and out of happiness.
I have dined with kings, I've been offered wings
And I've never been too impressed.

All right, I'll take a chance, I will fall in love with you
If I'm a fool you can have the night, you can have the money too.
Can you cook and sew, make flowers grow,
Do you understand my pain?
Are you willing to risk it all
Or is your love in vain?

Bob Dylan
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 04:31 pm
Well, edgar, we all take a chance on love. Thanks, Texas. Dylan has a million, right?

This one is dedicated to hebba. Evil or Very Mad

Ashlee Simpson

Like a grain on the beach
Like a star in the sky
Far too many to count with the naked eye
They won't see you

Go ahead
Walk on by
You don't know I'm alive
Maybe one day you'll find
You should open your eyes
You don't know me

You're the one who looked right through me
Now you're saying that you knew me
When I was invisible
And you're the one who walked right through me
When I was invisible

Little things adding up
Try so hard not to rush
Giving in, letting go of the world we know
They won't see you
Force it down
Lose the taste

They all think it's a waste
We don't need to believe every word they say, no
They don't know me

When I was invisible
When I was invisible

It's so easy to be lost
But maybe you're not lost at all

Do you recognize me?
Do you know who I am?
Do you see me now?
Do you see me now?

When I was invisible
When I was invisible
I'm invisible
I'm invisible

Razz
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:29 pm
the MULE TRAIN picture i just posted led me to look for the MULE TRAIN SONG .

Quote:
Mule Train

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00027EFDO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116163150_.jpg

-Artist: Frankie Laine as sung on "Mairzy Doats 44 Wacky Hits"
-MCA Records MSD2-35180/GMD 80041
-peak Billboard position # 1 for 6 weeks in 1949
-competing versions charted by Bing Crosby (#4), Tennessee Ernie Ford (#9),
-Vaughn Monroe (#10), and Gordon MacRae (#14)
-sung by Vaughn Monroe in the movie "Singing Guns" and by Gene Autry in "Mule Train"
-nominated for an Academy Award
-Words and Music by Johnny Lange, Hy Heath, and Fred Glickman

(Hyah, hyah) Mule train!! (Hyah, hyah) Mule train!!
Clippety cloppin' over hill and plain
Seems as how they never stop, clippety clop, clippety clop
Clippety, clippety, clippety, clippety, clippety cloppin' along

There's a plug o'chaw tobacky for a rancher in Corona
A ghee-tar for a cowboy 'way out in Arizona
A dress of calico for a pretty Navajo
Get along, mule! , get along

Mule train!! (Hyah, hyah) Mule train!!
Clippety cloppin' o'er the mountain chain
Soon they're gonna reach the top, clippety clop, clippety clop

There's some cotton thread and needles for the folks in way-out-yonder
A shovel for a miner who left his home to wander
Some rheumatism pills for the settlers in the hills
Get along, mule!! , get along

Mule train!! (Hyah, hyah) Mule train!!
Clippety cloppin' through the wind and rain
They'll keep goin' till they drop, clippety clop, clippety clop

There's a letter full of sadness trimmed with black around the border
A pair of boots for someone who had them made to order
A bible in the pack for the Reverend Mr. Black
Get along, mule! , get along

Get along, mule, get along!! (mule train)

(Hyah, hyah)
(Hyah, hyah)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:47 pm
As much as I love Frankie Laine, I always preferred the Tennessee Ernie Ford version of Mule Train.
0 Replies