WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:18 am
Evelyn Keyes
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Evelyn Louise Keyes
Born November 20, 1916 (1916-11-20) (age 91)
Port Arthur, Texas, United States
Years active 1938 - 1989
Spouse(s) Barton Bainbridge (1938-1940)
Charles Vidor (1943-1945)
John Huston (1946-1950)
Artie Shaw (1957-1985)

Evelyn Keyes (b. November 20, 1916, Port Arthur, Texas) is an American actress.

Film career

A chorus girl by age 18, Keyes was put under contract by Cecil B. DeMille. After a handful of B movies at Paramount Pictures, she landed her most notable role, that of Scarlett O'Hara's sister Suellen in Gone with the Wind (1939). Keyes' last important film role was a small part as Tom Ewell's vacationing wife in The Seven Year Itch (1955), which starred Marilyn Monroe. Keyes officially retired in 1956, but continued to act.

Personal life

She was married to Barton Bainbridge from 1938 until his death in 1940. Later she married and divorced director Charles Vidor (1943 - 1945), actor John Huston (23 July 1946 - 1950), and bandleader Artie Shaw (1957 - 1985). In 2005, Keyes sued Shaw's estate, claiming that she was entitled to one-half of Shaw's estate pursuant to a contract to make a will between them. In July 2006, a Ventura, California jury unanimously held that Keyes was entitled to almost one-half of Shaw's estate, or $1,420,000. [1]

Keyes said of her many relationships, "I was always interested in the man of the moment, and there were many such moments". While married to Huston, the couple adopted a Mexican child, Pablo, whom Huston had discovered while on the set of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Her autobiography, Scarlett O'Hara's Younger Sister: My Lively Life in and Out of Hollywood, was published in 1977. Keyes has expressed her opinion that Mrs. Mike was her best film.

She currently resides in Santa Barbara, California.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:20 am
Phyllis Thaxter

Phyllis Thaxter (born Phyllis St. Felix Thaxter November 20, 1921 in Portland, Maine) was the daughter of Maine Supreme Court Justice Sidney Thaxter and her mother a one-time Shakespearean actress. Thaxter, taking after her mother, worked as a Broadway actress in the 1930s and eventually signed an MGM contract in 1944. Her movie debut had her playing opposite actor Van Johnson in the war-time docudrama Thirty Seconds over Tokyo. While at MGM, Phyllis married James T. Aubrey, Jr., who later became president of CBS-TV and MGM. They divorced in 1962. While at MGM, she usually played the ever-patient wife to a number of leading men, including Robert Ryan in Act of Violence (1948). One of her more memorable roles was also in 1948, playing a cattle owner's daughter alongside Barbara Bel Geddes in Blood on the Moon (1948). She changed studios, moving to Warner Brothers, in the 1950s but usually played the same type of roles.

Thaxter's career stalled after an attack of infantile paralysis, while visiting her family in Portland, in 1952. She, however, made a slow comeback in character parts in television, movies and the stage. In 1978, Phyllis Thaxter was cast along with Glenn Ford as Ma and Pa Kent in Superman.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllis_Thaxter"
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:28 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:34 am
Bo Derek

Birth name Mary Cathleen Collins
Born November 20, 1956 (1956-11-20) (age 51)
Long Beach, California
Years active 1977-present
[show]Awards
Golden Raspberry Awards
Worst Actress
1981 Tarzan, the Ape Man

Bo Derek (born Mary Cathleen Collins on November 20, 1956, Long Beach, California, U.S.) is a Golden Globe-nominated American film actress and model.

Early life

Derek is of Irish, German, Dutch and Welsh descent. Her father is Phil Collins, a Hobie Cat executive. Her mother is Norma Collins, hairdresser to Ann-Margaret. In addition to Derek, they had one son, Colin Bass, {born Colin Collins) bassist of the progrock band Camel, and two other daughters. After the parents divorced, Norma Collins married American stunt performer Bobby Bass [1][2][3]

Derek attended Narbonne High School in Harbor City, California, and graduated in 1974.

Derek started modelling to pay for a new surf board, and after a few shoots and a deodorant advert found she had a knack for performance. She got herself a Hollywood agent, and on the audition trail met director John Derek, 30 years her senior. John filed for divorce from his wife, actress Linda Evans, and the pair moved to Germany to avoid John being charged with statutory rape under US law due to Bo only being 16. The couple returned to America soon after Bo's 18th birthday, and married in 1976.[4] They remained married until his death in 1998.

Career

Acting

Derek turned down a role in the film King Kong in (1976),[5] making her first on screen performance in 1977's Orca: the Killer Whale, in which her character's leg was bitten off when the whale attacked her home on a pier.

Derek first came to prominence when she co-starred in the 1979 Blake Edwards film 10, in which Dudley Moore's character is torn between his love for Julie Andrews and his fascination with Derek. Her appearance shot her to instant stardom and status as a sex symbol. Her beaded and plaited cornrow hairstyle in the film was widely copied and became eponymous. As a result of the film, Bo received a Golden Globe nomination for new star of the year, but lost out to Bette Midler for The Rose.

Some of Bo Derek's subsequent films were not well-received by either the public or critics. For the 1981 film Tarzan, the Ape Man, the producers of the film were actually sued by the Edgar Rice Burroughs Estate over the name of the film, as Derek's role and physique seemed to overshadow the focus on Tarzan himself. She followed this film with the sexually charged Bolero and a subsequent role in her husband's production Ghosts Can't Do It.

She made the first of many appearances in Playboy, starting with the March 1980 issue. Her first pictorial (among others) was photographed by then husband John, on a secluded beach along an unnamed area of the Colorado River. The twelve page spread featured a few with her and her pet greyhound together jogging and sunbathing, as well as her sailing and swimming in the river, all nude. She also made the cover (in a bikini).

Bolero and Tarzan, the Ape Man earned her the dubious honor of four Golden Raspberry Awards, as well as a nomination in 2000 as the "Worst Actress of the Century". However, she has lately made a respectable showing as Jamie Kennedy's mom and Ryan O'Neal's wife in Malibu's Most Wanted (2003). In addition, she can be seen on TV in Fashion House playing one of the main characters, notorious fashion designer Maria Gianni. Derek was also chosen to be one of the judges in the 2006 Miss Universe pageant.

Political

Derek is a conservative Republican who supported George H.W. Bush in 1988 and 1992 and campaigned for his son, George W. Bush in 2000 and 2004, and she appeared at both Republican conventions. She is currently supporting Rudolph W. Giuliani for president.[1] Derek has also appeared at public events with Republican Congressman David Dreier of Southern California [2].

It is also rumored that Derek has dated White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten. When asked about the nature of their relationship on the April 30, 2006 edition of Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace, Bolten identified Derek as a "friend" and as a "strong supporter of the President." According to Wallace, when President Bush heard of their rumored relationship Bush teased Bolten that together he and Derek were a "15".

Bo Derek has been appointed to the Board of Trustees of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts by President George W. Bush.

Presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani skipped the debate on minority issues to attend a $2300-a-plate fundraiser at the Biltmore Four Seasons in Santa Barbara hosted by Bo Derek.

Personal life

Relationships

Since John Derek's death, she has been romantically linked by various tabloids to Paul McCartney, Kiefer Sutherland, and media billionaire Ted Turner.[6] She is currently dating actor John Corbett.[7]

Derek lives on a ranch in the Santa Ynez Valley, California, that she originally bought with John Derek; with her sister, her sister's husband. and their two children.

Horse owner/activist

A horse lover and riding enthusiast since childhood, she is the owner of Iberian horses and is a Spokesperson for the Animal Welfare Institute's national campaign to end horse slaughter through passage of the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act. On February 5, 2002, she published her autobiography entitled Riding Lessons, Everything that matters in life I learned from horses (ISBN 0-060-39437-4).

Formula One fan

Bo was spotted with F1 Supremo Bernie Ecclestone in the Pit Lane at the 2007 Formula One Turkish Grand Prix and was interviewed by Peter Windsor to whom she spoke of her love of Formula One racing.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:37 am
I took my dad to the Mall one time to buy some new shoes.
We decided to grab a bite at the food court I noticed he was watching a
Teenager sitting next to him. The teenager had spiked hair in all
Different colors: green, red, orange, and blue. My dad kept staring at
him. The teenager would look and find him staring every time.

When the teenager had enough, he sarcastically asked, "What's
the matter old man, never done anything wild in your life?"
Knowing my Dad, I quickly swallowed my food so that I would not
Choke on his response; knowing he would have a good one. And in classic
Style he did not bat an eye in his response,
"Got drunk once and had sex With a peacock. I was just wondering if you were my son."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 07:19 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

edgar, I don't believe that song will win the "pullet-zer" prize, buddy.<groan>

Love your peacock funny, Bob, and thanks once again for the bio's.

Until our restored puppy arrives, I watched the movie "Song of Love" last evening on TCM. It was a love story about Claire and Robert Schumann. I did NOT know that the lovely song, Traumerei meant reverie.

Well, folks watching that oldie put me in a classical mood, but let's do one by The Allman Brothers.

Allman Brothers
Back Where it All Begins

Say you want to be a rolling stone
Get your sail out in the wind
Get out on the highway and let 'er roll on
Roll on back to someplace you ain't never been
Hey, hey

When I was younger I was hard to hold
Seem like I was always goin'
Which ever way the wind would blow
Now that travelin' spirit calls me again

Callin' me back to where it all begins

Moon rise and sun go down
Turn my whole world around
Little star up in the sky
Tell my sweet baby please don't cry
Please don't cry

(SOLO)

Moon rise and sun go down
Turn my whole world around
Little star up in the sky
Tell my sweet baby please don't cry
Please don't cry

Travel out across the burnin' sand
Cross the ocean to some distant land
We'll reach the end we'll all be singin'
and we'll all be friends
Back where it all begins

Back where it all begins
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 09:07 am
Good morning WA2K.

Saw "Song of Love" many years ago, Letty. I love Traumeri. Did the movie seem too outdated or was it a relief? Very Happy

Today's B.D. photo gallery:

Judy Canova; Evelyn Keyes; Phyllis Thaxter; Duanne Allman and Bo Derek

http://www.cowboysong.com/images/songj17a.jpghttp://www.metroactive.com/metro/01.24.07/gifs/noircity.jpg
http://members.tripod.com/~CARIART/Phyllis_Thaxter.jpghttp://www.phys.selu.edu/~dan/images/duane6.jpg
http://www.hola.com/belleza/especiales/peinados_que_hicieron_historia/fotos/bo-derek.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 09:38 am
Good morning, Raggedy. To tell you the truth, PA, and you may think this foolish, but after hearing Traumeri, and hearing the commentary proceeding the movie, I quit watching. It made me a mite melancholy.

I do wonder, however, why Schumann became insane.

Thanks, PA, for the great collage for our gallery here on WA2K radio.

Marvelous quintet, puppy, and I think we all know Ravel's Bolero.

Let's listen to this one for the day, folks. I call it an antithesis to Schumann.

The Beach Boys

Disney Girls

Clearing skies and drying eyes
Now I see your smile
Darkness goes and softness shows
A changing style

Just in time words that rhyme
Well bless your soul
Now I'll fill your hands
With kisses and a Tootsie Roll

Oh reality, it's not for me
And it makes me laugh
Oh, fantasy world and Disney girls
I'm coming back

Patti Page and summer days
On old Cape Cod
Happy times making wine
In my garage
Country shade and lemonade
Guess I'm slowing down
It's a turned back world
With a local girl
In a smaller town

Open cars and clearer stars
That's what I've lacked
But fantasy world and Disney girls
I'm coming back

Love...Hi Rick and Dave
Hi Pop...Well good morning mom
Love...get up guess what
I'm in love with a girl I found
She's really swell
Cause she likes
Church, bingo chances and old time dances

All my life I spent the night
With dreams of you
And the warmth I missed
And for the things I wished
They're all coming true

I've got my love to give
And a place to live
Guess I'm gonna stay
It'd be a peaceful life
With a forever wife
And a kid someday

Well, it's early nights
And pillow fights
And your soft laugh
Fantasy world and Disney girls
I'm coming back
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 11:17 am
This may be the answer concerning Schumann's madness, folks.

Schumann
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 11:18 am
Aah, I can well understand that, Letty. I, too, experience "blue" moods while listening to certain music, Chopin in particular.

This might answer your question about Schumann:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Schumann

Bolero makes me happy. Laughing
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 11:19 am
Ooops. You beat me to it. Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 12:08 pm
I did? Usually, Raggedy, I don't beat anyone. Razz

My older sister was acquainted with a man in Virginia who had congenital syphilis. Such a terrible irony.

Yes, Ravel's Bolero is upbeat, and I understand your feelings about Chopin's music. I truly think it's knowing that they died so young that makes us feel a certain sadness for such men with so great a talent.

And then there is Milton with his L'allegro and the counter piece, II Penseroso.

How about a happy tune to rescue us from the doldrums, folks.

Diana Krall

Pick Yourself Up

Nothings impossible I have found
For when my chin is on the ground
I pick myself up, dust myself off, start all over again

Don't lose your confidence if you slip
Be grateful for a pleasant trip
And pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again

Work like a soul inspired till the battle of the day is won
You may be sick and tired but you'll be a man my son

Don't you remember the famous man who had to fall to rise again?
They picked themselves up, dust themselves off and started all over again
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:48 pm
had a little time on my hands, so thought i'd play a *nice* song for a change. it runs against my usual cynical nature, but our PD knows why i chose this particular Hollies number.

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go
His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me

If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all

He's my brother
He ain't heavy, he's my brother...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 02:19 pm
Welcome back, heralding honu. Yes, island man, I know. That song says so much, no? I realize that families have arguments and anger for various reasons, but when life seems at its worst, there's the place that one may go, and it's called home. We're not talking about a house or structure, that is totally different.

Not the best lyrics, folks, but it does say a lot.

Do you remember when we were only kids
Knew everyone in our neighborhood and swore that we would never forget
Well time flies and the years go by, but memories never fade
I've been gone much too long, gotta get back there someday

But my travelin' days ain't over yet
And no matter how far away
There's one thing I can't forget

Chorus:
Home is where the heart is
But I'm always on the run
Home is where the heart is
Though my journey's just begun
Home's where the heart is

We used to hang out through the day and party all night long
I never thought I'd go away from the place where I belong
But here I am on the road again and my love is miles away
I've been gone much too long, gotta get back there someday

But my travelin' days ain't over yet
And no matter how far away
There's one thing I can't forget

Chorus

No matter how far away
The one thing I can't forget

Chorus
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 03:55 pm
BUTTON UP YOUR OVERCOAT !

good afternoon listeners !
it's actually quite mild here and no need for an overcoat this afternoon - 10 C plus , about 50 F ! pretty nice for nov 20 .
worked a bit in the garden and some little insects (miny skeeters ) were performing a dance over one of the flowerbeds !

the lyrics of those OLDIES are absolutely wonderful imo .
i can almost hear the band playing and the lyrics being sung - NOSTALGIA .
hbg

http://www.singers.com/jazz/vintage/vintageimages/FredWaringMemoryLane200.jpg

Quote:
Listen, big boy,
Now that you got me made,
Goodness, but I'm afraid,
Somethin's gonna happen to you!
Listen, big boy,
You gotta be hooked, and how,
I would die if I should lose you now!

Button up your overcoat,
When the wind is free,
Take good care of yourself,
You belong to me!

Eat an apple every day,
Get to bed by three,
Oh, take good care of yourself,
You belong to me!

Be careful crossing streets, ooh-ooh,
Cut out sweets, ooh-ooh,
Lay off meat, ooh-ooh,
You'll get a pain and ruin your tum-tum!

Wear your flannel underwear,
When you climb a tree,
You belong to me!

Button up your overcoat,
When the wind is free,
You belong to me!
Boop-boop-a-doop!

When you sass a traffic cop,
Use diplomacy;
Just take good care of yourself,
You belong to me!

Beware of frozen ponds, ooh-ooh,
Stocks and bonds, ooh-ooh,
Peroxide blondes, ooh-ooh,
You'll get a pain and ruin your bankroll!

Keep the spoon out of your cup,
When you're drinking tea,
You belong to me!

Don't sit on hornet's tails, ooh-ooh!
Or on nails, ooh-ooh!
Or third rails, ooh-ooh!
You'll get a pain and ruin your tum-tum!

Keep away from bootleg hooch
When you're on a spree,
You belong to me!

0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 04:03 pm
and here is THE CHAIRMAN - when he was still a young fellow - singing for us :

http://www.joegirardmusic.com/images/sinatra.jpg

Quote:
Writer(s): schwartz/dietz

Dancing in the dark til the tune ends
Were dancing in the dark and it soon ends
Were waltzing in the wonder of why were here
Time hurries by, were here and were gone

Looking for the light of a new love
To brighten up the night, I have you love
And we can face the music together
Dancing in the dark

What - though love is old
What - though song is old
Through them we can be young

Hear this heart of mine
Wailin all the time
Dear one, tell me that were one

Looking for the light of a new love
To brighten up the night, I have you love
And we can face the music together
Dancing in the dark, dancing in the dark
Dancing in the dark
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 04:15 pm
Hey, hbg. Love that song, buddy. You're right, however, too warm for overcoats, so I suspect that is just an admonition from a song writer. Who wrote that?

Frankly, folks. I could go swimming in the ocean right now should I choose.

However, this little gal dared to be different and regretted it. Razz

She was afraid to come out of the locker
She was as nervous as she could be
She was afraid to come out of the locker
She was afraid that somebody would see
(Two, three, four, tell the people what she wore)

It was an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka-dot bikini
That she wore for the first time today
An itsy teenie weenie yellow polka-dot bikini
So in the locker she wanted to stay
(Two, three, four, stick around we'll tell ya more)

She was afraid to come out in the open
And so a blanket around her she wore
She was afraid to come out in the open
And so she sat bundled up on the shore

So in the blanket she wanted to stay
(Two, three, four, stick around we'll tell ya more)

Now she's afraid to come of the water
And I wonder what she's gonna do
Now she's afraid to come out of the water
And the poor little girl's turnin' blue

So in the water she wanted to stay

(From the locker to the blanket)
(From the blanket to the shore)
(From the shore to the water)
Guess there isn't any more
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:18 pm
Dodie Stevens

(Mickie Grant)

Now I've got a guy and his name is Dooley
He's my guy and I love him truly
He's not good lookin', heaven knows
But I'm wild about his crazy clothes

He wears tan shoes with pink shoelaces
A polka dot vest and man, oh, man
Tan shoes with pink shoelaces
And a big Panama with a purple hat band

Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh

He takes me deep-sea fishing in a submarine
We got to drive-in movies in a limousine
He's got a whirly-birdy and a 12-foot yacht
Ah, but thats-a not all he's got

He's got tan shoes with pink shoelaces
Tan shoes with pink shoelaces

Now Dooley had a feelin' we were goin' to war
So he went out and enlisted in a fightin' corps
But he landed in the brig for raisin' such a storm
When they tried to put 'em in a uniform

He wanted tan shoes with pink shoelaces
He wanted tan shoes with pink shoelaces

Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh

Now one day Dooley started feelin' sick
And he decided that he better make his will out quick
He said
"Just before the angels come to carry me
I want it down in writin' how to bury me."

A'wearin tan shoes with pink shoelaces
Give me tan shoes with pink shoelaces

Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh-ooh, ooh, ooh

And a big Panama with a purple hat band!!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:23 pm
from the website :

Quote:
BUTTON UP YOUR OVERCOAT
(DeSylva / Brown / Henderson)

whoever they are :wink: Question

wikipedia to the rescue :

Quote:
George Gard "Buddy" DeSylva (January 27, 1895 - July 11, 1950) was an American songwriter. He was born in New York City, but grew up in California and attended the University of Southern California. His father, Aloysius J. De Sylva, was better known to American audiences as the Portuguese-born actor, Hal De Forrest.

DeSylva's first successful songs were those used by Al Jolson on Broadway in the 1918 +Sinbad production, which included "I'll Say She Does." Soon thereafter he met Jolson and in 1918, the pair went to New York and De Sylva began working as a songwriter at Tin Pan Alley. In 1925, he became one third of the songwriting team DeSylva, lyricist Brown and composer Henderson, one of the top Tin Pan Alley songwriters of the era. The writing and publishing partnership continued until 1930. The 1956 Hollywood film The Best Things in Life are Free, starring Gordon MacRae, depicted the life of the DeSylva, Brown and Henderson team.

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1010/270609.1010.A.jpg

Quote:
The Best Things in Life are Free is a song written by B.G. DeSylva, Lew Brown, and Ray Henderson for the musical "Good News" which opened on September 6, 1927 in the 46th Street Theater in New York City. It played for 557 performances. A movie version was produced in 1930 and remade in 1947. A movie musical, "The Best Things in Life Are Free," based on the careers of the songwriters, was made in 1956.

The song's lyrics imply that love and marriage are costless:

The moon belongs to everyone
The best things in life are free,
The stars belong to everyone
They gleam there for you and me.
The flowers in Spring,
The robins that sing,
The sunbeams that shine
They're yours,
They're mine!
And love can come to everyone,
The best things in life are free.

JUST AMAZING WHAT A LITTLE "GOOGLING" WILL REVEAL !
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:45 pm
Fell off my chair laughing! That was a good one!

bobsmythhawk wrote:
I took my dad to the Mall one time to buy some new shoes.
We decided to grab a bite at the food court I noticed he was watching a
Teenager sitting next to him. The teenager had spiked hair in all
Different colors: green, red, orange, and blue. My dad kept staring at
him. The teenager would look and find him staring every time.

When the teenager had enough, he sarcastically asked, "What's
the matter old man, never done anything wild in your life?"
Knowing my Dad, I quickly swallowed my food so that I would not
Choke on his response; knowing he would have a good one. And in classic
Style he did not bat an eye in his response,
"Got drunk once and had sex With a peacock. I was just wondering if you were my son."
Very Happy
0 Replies