WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 08:32 pm
http://www.johnfullerton.org/images/sop08.jpg

A perfect goodnight song from those guys, folks.

Blue Prairie

Blue prairie, Blue are the skies.
Blue are the sighs, Of a night wind, Callin'.

Blue Prairie, Blue are the hills.
Blue are the trills, Of a nightbird, Callin'.

(chorus)

Every beatin' heart beats a rhythm that is blue.
And the wind has cast a blue reflection on the moon

So the wind while on it's way,
Seems to cry and sigh and say
Blue ooooh ooooh

Blue Prairie, Blue echoes ring
Blue as I sing of a longing
Blue as you....

Goodnight, prairie people

From Letty with love
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 08:59 pm
Hushabye
The Mystics
D. Pomus/M. Schuman

Oo ooo ooo ooo ooo ooo ooo
Ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah

Hush hush
Hushabye
Hushabye
Hushabye
Oh my darlin' don't you cry
Guardian angels up above
Take care of the one I love

Ah ah ah ah

Hush hush
Hushabye

Ah ah ah ah

Hush hush
Hushabye

Oooo oooo oooo oooo

Lullabye and goodnight
In your dreams I hold you tight
Lullabye and goodnight
Til the dawn's early light

Pillows lying on your bed
Oh my darling rest your head
Sandman will be coming soon
Singing you a slumber tune

Oo ooo oooo oooo ooo ooo ooo
Hush
Hush
Hushabye
Hush
Hush
Hushabye

Ah ah ah ah
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 06:48 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:41 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:45 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:51 am
Sally Field
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Sally Margaret Field
Born November 6, 1946 (1946-11-06) (age 61)
Pasadena, California, U.S.
[show]Awards
Academy Awards
Best Actress
1979 Norma Rae
1984 Places in the Heart
Emmy Awards
Outstanding Lead Actress - Drama Series
2007 Brothers & Sisters
Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama
2001 ER
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Made-for-TV Movie
1976 Sybil
Golden Globe Awards
Best Actress - Motion Picture Drama
1979 Norma Rae
1984 Places in the Heart

Sally Margaret Field (born November 6, 1946) is a two-time Academy Award winning American actress. She is also a three-time Emmy Award-winning and two-time Golden Globe Award winner who became a household name at age 20 as Sister Bertrille in the 1960s sitcom The Flying Nun. She is currently starring as Nora Holden Walker on the ABC hit drama, Brothers & Sisters, as a grieving matriarch who helps out in the family business. Her newest film, Two Weeks came out in early 2007.

Early life

Field was born in Pasadena, California. Her parents, Richard Dryden Field and Margaret Field (a Southern-born actress), divorced in 1950. Her mother subsequently remarried, to actor and stuntman Jock Mahoney.

She attended Birmingham High School in Van Nuys, California. Among her classmates were famed financier Michael Milken and fellow actress Cindy Williams (of Laverne and Shirley fame).

Career

Early television roles

Field got her start on television, starring as the boy-struck surfer girl in the mid-1960s surf culture sitcom series Gidget. She then went on to star in her best known television role, as Sister Bertrille in The Flying Nun. Field also appeared in The Girl with Something Extra. While starring on The Flying Nun, Sally tried her hand at singing, releasing an album on Colgems Records in 1968 and cracking the Billboard Hot 100 with one single, "Felicidad", in 1967.

She had several guest appearances, including a recurring role on the western comedy Alias Smith and Jones starring Pete Duel (whom she worked with on Gidget) and Ben Murphy, and the Rod Serling's Night Gallery episode "The Whisper".

Sybil

Having played mostly comic characters on television, Field had a difficult time being cast in dramatic roles. She studied with famed acting teacher Lee Strasberg. Soon after, Field landed the title role in the 1976 TV film Sybil.

Field's dramatic portrayal of Sybil, a young woman afflicted with multiple personality syndrome in the TV film not only garnered her an Emmy Award in 1977, but also enabled her to break through the typecasting she had experienced from television roles.

Film roles

Field had a number of critical and commercial successes in movies, particularly in the 1980s. In 1977 she co-starred with Burt Reynolds, Jackie Gleason and Jerry Reed in that year's #2 grossing film Smokey and the Bandit. In 1979, she starred as a union organizer in Norma Rae, and won the Academy Award for Best Actress. In 1981, Field played a prostitute opposite Tommy Lee Jones in the South-set comedy Back Roads, which received middling reviews and grossed $11 million at the box office.

She won another Oscar in 1985 for her starring role in Places in the Heart. Her gushing acceptance speech is well-remembered for its earnestness. In it, Field stated "I haven't had an orthodox career, and I've wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time I didn't feel it, but this time I feel it, and I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!".[1] The line ending in "...I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!" is often misquoted as simply "You like me, you really like me!" which has subsequently been the subject of many parodies. (Field parodied the line herself in a commercial.)

Also in 1985, she co-starred with James Garner in Murphy's Romance. In A&E's biography of Garner, Field reported that her on-screen kiss with Garner was the best cinematic kiss she had ever had.

Field appeared on the cover of the March 1986 issue of Playboy magazine. She was the "Interview" subject in that month's issue. (She did not appear as a pictorial subject inside the magazine, although she did wear the classic leotard and bunny ears "Bunny Outfit" on the cover).

She has had supporting roles in other movies, including Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) in which she played the wife of Robin Williams and the love interest of Pierce Brosnan, followed by the role of Forrest's mother in Forrest Gump (1994). She is only 10 years older than Tom Hanks, with whom she had co-starred six years earlier in Punchline.

Recent roles

On television, Field had a recurring role on ER in the 2000-2001 season as Dr. Abby Lockhart's mother Maggie, who is struggling to cope with bipolar disorder, a role for which she won an Emmy Award in 2001. After her critically acclaimed stint on the show, she returned to the role in 2003 and 2006. She also starred in the very short-lived 2002 series The Court.

Field has also ventured into the realm of directing. Her first directorial stint was for the television film, The Christmas Tree (1996). She also directed the feature film Beautiful (2000), as well as an episode of the TV mini-series, From the Earth to the Moon (1998).

Field was a late addition to the ABC drama Brothers & Sisters, which debuted in September 2006. In the show's pilot, the role of matriarch Nora Walker had been played by actress Betty Buckley. However, the producers of the show decided to take the character of Nora in another direction, and Field was cast in the role. She won the 2007 Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series in her role as Nora Walker. Field also has an upcoming voice role as Marina del Ray the villian in Disney's The Little Mermaid III. This movie is scheduled for a direct-to-DVD release in 2008.

Currently, Field can be seen on television as the compensated spokesperson for Roche Laboratories' postmenopausal osteoporosis treatment medication, Boniva.

Political advocacy

During her acceptance speech for her 2007 Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series, Field made an anti-war statement: "If the mothers ruled the world, there would be no goddamn wars in the first place."[2] In the US, Fox censored her, so that she was cut off at "god--", and did not return to her speech. Fox also censored two other speakers, saying only that the content might be "considered inappropriate by some viewers"[3].

Private life

Field dated Burt Reynolds for many years. She was first married to Steven Craig from 1968 to 1975. In 1984, she married Alan Greisman. The couple divorced in 1993.

Field has two sons from her first marriage. Her son Peter Craig is a novelist; his brother Eli Craig is an actor and director. Her third son, Sam Greisman, is from her second marriage.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:57 am
Ethan Hawke
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Ethan Green Hawke
Born November 6, 1970 (1970-11-06) (age 37)
Austin, Texas, U.S.
Spouse(s) Uma Thurman (1998-2004)
Children Maya Ray Thurman-Hawke (b.1998)
Levon Roan Thurman-Hawke (b.2002)

Ethan Green Hawke (born November 6, 1970) is an Academy Award-nominated American actor, writer and film director.

Biography

Early life

Hawke was born in Austin, Texas, to Leslie Carole (née Green) and James Steven Hawke, who were students at the University of Texas at the time of his birth, and separated five years later.[1] When he was ten, he moved with his mother from Atlanta to New York, where he attended the Packer Collegiate Institute in Brooklyn Heights and then moved to West Windsor, New Jersey, where he attended West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South.[1] He transferred to and graduated from the Hun School of Princeton in 1988.[2] He took acting classes at the McCarter Theatre. His first paid role was at the age of twelve, in McCarter's production of George Bernard Shaw's Saint Joan.

Career

At the age of fourteen, he made his feature film debut in Joe Dante's Explorers (1985).[1] Hawke studied acting at the British Theatre Association in England and at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. He twice enrolled in New York University's English program and is one of the founding fathers and artistic director of Malaparte, a former New York City theatre company. Malaparte productions included A Joke!; Wild Dogs; Good Evening; Sons and Fathers; It Changes Every Year; Veins and Thumbtacks; Hesh; and The Great Unwashed.

In 1988, Hawke was cast in a role in director Peter Weir's Dead Poets Society; the film's success was considered Hawke's breakthrough.[1] He left school and appeared in A Midnight Clear, Alive, Reality Bites, Before Sunrise, Gattaca, The Newton Boys, Great Expectations, and many other movies. In 2001, he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Training Day.[1] Hawke directed Chelsea Walls and has written two novels, The Hottest State (in 1996) and Ash Wednesday (in 2002).[1] In 2005, he received his first screenwriting Oscar nomination for co-writing the 2004 film, Before Sunset (a sequel to Before Sunrise). From October 2006 through May 2007, he was in The Coast of Utopia by Tom Stoppard at Lincoln Center in New York, playing Mikhail Bakunin. For this performance, he was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Play.

On March 26, 2006 Hawke's personal business office in New York City was destroyed by a fast-moving fire. He was in the middle of directing and starring in a movie version of his first novel, The Hottest State. The fire broke out in a newly renovated office on the second floor of the office building and the blaze quickly spread to the fifth floor. It destroyed Hawke's fourth-floor office and his post-production studio. Master tapes and negatives from Hawke's film were being stored off-site and were reportedly not destroyed by the fire. In the summer of 2006, he appeared in the Sidney Lumet-directed film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead with Marisa Tomei, Albert Finney, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. He directed The New Group's world premiere of Jonathan Marc Sherman's play Things We Want which began previews October 22nd, 2007[3].

Personal life

On May 1, 1998, Hawke married actress Uma Thurman. The couple had two children, daughter Maya Ray (born July 8, 1998) and son Levon Roan (born January 15, 2002). They separated and divorced in July 2004.

Hawke lives in Chelsea, a neighborhood in the borough of Manhattan in New York City, and owns a small peninsula in Tracadie, Nova Scotia. He has recently completed a screenplay with Tracadie neighbor, writer Charles Gaines, author of 'Pumping Iron' and inventor of the game Paintball.

He is a Democrat.[4]

His family includes half-brothers Matt and Sam, and stepmother Gay. James is a high ranking official at Conseco. His mother has been honored for her ongoing humanitarian work in Romania, where she first went as a member of the Peace Corps in 2000. She founded and runs an educational charity for Roma children in that country.

Tennessee Williams was his great-uncle, on his father's side.[5]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:59 am
The Beer Prayer

Our lager,
Which art in barrels,
Hollowed be thy drink.
I will be drunk,
At home as in the travern.
Give us this day our foamy head,
And forgive us our spillages,
As we forgive those who spill against us.
And lead us not into incarceration,
But deliver us from hangerovers.
For thine is the beer. the bitter and the lager
Forever and ever,
Barmen.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 08:24 am
Good morning, BioBob. Great celeb info today, and your parody on the traditional prayer gave us all a smile. Thanks, hawkman. (yesterday as I was driving on A1A I saw a small hawk on the side of the road and in distress. I couldn't stop to help and it made me sad.)

However, listeners, this is a morning to be glad.

Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever and the ensuing parody.

Sousa's lyrics

Let martial note in triumph float
And liberty extend its mighty hand
A flag appears 'mid thunderous cheers,
The banner of the Western land.
The emblem of the brave and true
Its folds protect no tyrant crew;
The red and white and starry blue
Is freedom's shield and hope.

Other nations may deem their flags the best
And cheer them with fervid elation
But the flag of the North and South and West
Is the flag of flags, the flag of Freedom's nation.

Hurrah for the flag of the free!
May it wave as our standard forever,
The gem of the land and the sea,
The banner of the right.
Let despots remember the day
When our fathers with mighty endeavor
Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
That by their might and by their right
It waves forever.

Let eagle shriek from lofty peak
The never-ending watchword of our land;
Let summer breeze waft through the trees
The echo of the chorus grand.
Sing out for liberty and light,
Sing out for freedom and the right.
Sing out for Union and its might,
O patriotic sons.

Other nations may deem their flags the best
And cheer them with fervid elation,
But the flag of the North and South and West
Is the flag of flags, the flag of Freedom's nation.

Hurrah for the flag of the free.
May it wave as our standard forever
The gem of the land and the sea,
The banner of the right.
Let despots remember the day
When our fathers with mighty endeavor
Proclaimed as they marched to the fray,
That by their might and by their right
It waves forever.

Be Kind To Your Web-Footed Friends

[to the tune of "The Stars & Stripes Forever"]

Traditional

Be kind to your web-footed friends.
For a duck may be somebody's mother.
They live at the bottom of the swamp,
Where the weather is cold and damp.

Well, you may think that this is the end.

Yes, it is, but to prove that you are wrong,

We're going to sing it once again,

Oh, yes we will, but it will be just a bit louder!

Be kind to your web-footed friends.

For a duck may be somebody's mother.

They live at the bottom of the swamp,

Where the weather is cold and damp.

You may think that this is the end.

Well, it is -- you are right!

So, just remember:

Be kind to your web-footed friends!

Be ever kind, yes, oh, so kind to all the duckies!

We'll dedicate that one to Freeduck.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:29 am
Good morning. I had an adorable duck to thank you for your concern, Letty, but his picture disappeared in the swamp.

I hope these pics don't drown.

Sousa, Conniff, Field and one more Hawke for good measure.

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/assets/aa/sousa/aa_sousa_subj_m.jpghttp://i.s8.com.br/images/cds/cover/img2/1496082.jpg
http://www.poptower.com/images/db/469/420/300/sally-field.jpghttp://www.theatermania.com/news/images/5497a.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:01 am
Hee,hee, Raggedy. What about a platypus duck, Bill. Oh, that's right. Your name is Aggie.

Great montage of celebs, PA. We're looking at John, Ray, Sally, and Ethan. Hmmm. I knew an Ethan once, but his last name was Allen. He also made furniture and was the leader of the Green Mountain Boys.

Here's to Vermont

Josephine H. Perry

Hail to Vermont!
Lovely Vermont!
Hail to Vermont so fearless!
Sing we a song!
Sing loud and long!
To our little state so peerless!
Green are her hills, Clear are her rills.
Fair are her lakes, and rivers and valleys;
Blue are her skies, Peaceful she lies,
But when roused to a call she speedily rallies
Hail to Vermont! Dear old Vermont!
Our love for you is so great.
We cherish your name,
We laud! We acclaim!
Our own Green Mountain State.

Proud of Vermont. Lovely Vermont,
Proud of her charm and her beauty;
Proud of her name, Proud of her fame,
We're proud of her sense of duty;
Proud of her past. Proud first and last.
Proud of her lands and proud of her waters.
Her men are true. Her women, too.
We're proud of her sons
and proud of her daughters
Hail to Vermont! Dear old Vemont!
Our love for you is great.
We cherish your name,
We laud! We acclaim!
Our own Green Mountain State.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:30 am
Hey. He made it.

http://www.scotchpiedesign.com/images/duckie.gif
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 11:45 am
Love it, Raggedy. Hey, help me with this translation, ok?

quack quack, quack quack
Tax tax tax tax.

Duck hunting Baby bunting?
Income income income income

When Wee Ducky Doddles
Is out on the town,
He waddles and toddles
And doddles around.
But when he goes swimming,
Oh, boy, you should see!
No boat can go skimming
So nimbly as he.

Often, however, he needs a flotation device. I think it depends on how much he has had to drink. Razz
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:23 pm
http://www.hawaiiducktours.com/images/duck_drunk.jpg

Yes, it definitely depends on how much he has imbibed. Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:39 pm
Well, folks, this is duck day.

Love it, Raggedy. Now how about a knickerbocker duck and a macho song.

http://www.toyzine.com/magazine/auction/Inman-2005-03pst/KnickerbockerDonaldDuck.jpg

Oh, good evening Mr. Duck
Hello sport
May I get the door for you?
Thank you very much
(Lets boogie) Lets boogie

He's got style, he's got flare
Got two left feet but he doesn't care
Dressed in blue, fit to form
Ladies love to touch his uniform
Mess with him and your outta luck
He's a macho duck

Macho macho duck
Oh he's a manly sensation
Macho macho duck
He's a macho macho duck

Can he move, well guess what?
Watch his wiggle waddle strut
But feathers fly when he gets riled
It's like a pillow fight of white

Macho macho duck
The slickest bird in the nation
Macho macho duck
He's a macho macho duck
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:21 pm
'Twas midnight on the ocean, not a streetcar was in sight.
The sun was shining brightly in the middle of the night.
A barefoot boy with shoes on stood there sitting in the tree
And when he put his glasses on, he heard this melody:

Be kind to your web-footed friends
For a duck may be somebody's brother.
Be kind to the denizen of the swamp;
He's a dilly through and through. [Alternate line: Where the weather's always damp]
You may think that this is the end,
But it isn't 'cause there's another chorus.

'Twas midnight on the ocean when the rain began to snow
He hurried to me slowly 'cause the time had come to go.
I said I'd wait forever if it didn't take too long;
And suddenly we harmonized this crazy, mixed-up song.

Be kind to your web-footed friends
He's a dilly through and through. [Alternate line: Where the weather's always damp]
But it isn't 'cause there's another chorus.

'Twas midnight on the ocean on the day I married him.
I didn't know his name was Fred, that's why I called him Tim. Be kind to your web-footed friends
Well it is.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:47 pm
Get ready to duck, dys. I'm gonna sling a stone at you.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/85/58/22415885.jpg

From Burt to George(not the soccer one)

Promises, promises
I'm all through with promises, promises now
I don't know how I got the nerve to walk out
If I shout, remember I feel free
Now I can look at myself and be proud
I'm laughing out loud

Oh, promises, promises
This is where those promises, promises end
I don't pretend that what was wrong can be right
Every night I sleep now, no more lies
Things that I promised myself fell apart
But I found my heart

Oh, promises, their kind of promises,
take all the joy from life
Oh, promises, those kind of
promises, can just destroy a life
Oh, promises, promises, my kind of promises
Can lead to joy and hope and love
Yes, love, don't make a promise that you can't keep. Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 06:24 pm
Eddy Duchin

Oh, the Merry-Go-Round broke down
And we went round and round
Each time t'would miss, we'd steal a kiss
And the Merry-Go-Round went
"Um-pah-pah, um-pah-pah
Um-pah! Um-pah! Um-pah-pah-pah!'
And it made the darndest sound,
The lights went low, we both said "Oh!"
And the Merry-Go-Round went
"Um-pah-pah, um-pah-pah
Um-pah! Um-pah! Um-pah-pah-pah!'
Oh what fun - a wonderful time
Finding love for only a dime.
But you don't see me frown
Things turned out fine and now she's mine -
Cause the the Merry-Go-Round went
"Um-pah-pah, um-pah-pah
Um-pah! Um-pah! Um-pah-pah-pah!"
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:05 pm
posting a pix of the kingston pen earlier , reminded me of THE PRISONER'S SONG .
we have an old lp with vernon dalhart singing it in the 1920's .

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/edhtml/dalhart.jpg

http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/sfc1/hillbilly/JPEGs/78sLabels/Dalhart_15124B.jpg

Quote:
Oh, I wish I had someone to love me,
Someone to call me their own.
Oh, I wish I had someone to live with
'Cause I'm tired of livin' alone.
Oh, please meet me tonight in the moonlight,
Please meet me tonight all alone,
For I have a sad story to tell you,
It's a story that's never been told.

I'll be carried to the new jail tomorrow,
Leaving my poor darling alone,
With the cold prison bars all around me
And my head on a pillow of stone.

Now I have a grand ship on the ocean,
All mounted with silver and gold,
And before my poor darlin' would suffer,
Oh, that ship would be anchored and sold.

Now if I had the wings of an angel
Over these prison walls I would fly,
And I'd fly to the arms of my poor darlin',
And there I'd be willing to die
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:05 pm
Great, edgar. You know, I met Peter Duchin at a soiree, but I can't remember exactly what he played. I just know that I loved to dance to his piano.

According to our archives, he did the following song. This version, however, is done by a King. <smile>

Carole King - Been To Canaan

Green fields and rolling hills
Room enough to do what we will
Sweet dreams of yestertime are running though my mind
Of a place I left behind, been so long, I can't remember when
I've been to Canaan and I want to go back again

Been so long, I'm living till then
Cause I've been to Canaan and I won't rest until
I go back again. Though I'm content with myself
Sometimes I long to be somewhere else
I try to do what I can, but with our day to day demands
We all need a promised land.