WA2K Radio is now on the air

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 04:38 pm
And here's the "Mad as Hell, and Not Going To Take It Any More" birthday guy:

http://www.biography-clarebooks.co.uk/usrimage/cat1720.jpghttp://www.courttv.com/graphics/onair/shows/hollywood_heat/new/photos/network167.jpg
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 04:42 pm
And Dear Brigette:

http://www.brigittebardot.com/images/039_25511.jpg

and for Letty, sexy Marcello:

http://www.nndb.com/people/231/000085973/marcello-2.JPG
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 04:59 pm
Great, Raggedy! I think the first time that I heard the word, "cuckold" was from that sexy Marcello. Know what that means, PA.

Now I recall that movie with Peter Finch. If we should do that routine now. Would we get arrested?

As for Brigette, what does she have that we don't. Razz

I love this group that I have discovered, folks, so let's hear another one, shall we?

Silicon Dream
Albert Einstein - Everything Is Relative

I'm your prof professor of love!
One is an Adam
one is an Eve
everything is relative.
Flying in my cosmic ship to the planet Earth
Join me on my plastic trip through the Universe.
Boys and girls around the world ready for a game
Who is who on this pearl
do you guess my namez
Albert Einstein
checkcheck the timetime
Albert Einstein
lovelove is finefine.
One is clever
one naive
everything is relative.
Coming from the Milky Way with my galactic crew
Mars and Venus fade to grey
the energy is you.
Timemachine and laserbeam
the glance of Marco Polo
The school is ruled by Fronkensteen
dance the tango solo.
Albert Einstein
checkcheck the timetime
Albert Einstein
lovelove is finefine.
One is a butler
one is a chief
everything is relative.
Welcome to my laboratorium!
Foraday will send a blitz to Jimmy Hendrix in Hotel Ritz
Kopernikus wears blue suede shoes
Isaak Newton sings the blues.
Pythagoras and Sokrates rent a computer for Aristoteles
Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde on the couch of Sigmund Freud.
This is the formula
mein Herr!
Energy is mass multiplied by speed of light square
For this to analyse you gave me the Nobelprice.
But I tell you this is not enough
I'm the profprof professor of love.
Albert Einstein
Checkcheck the timetime
Albert Einstein
Lovelove is finefine.
One is sexy
one sportive
Tout le monde est relative.
What did you say
what did you say?
Galileo Galilei.
Galileo calls Captain Spock
und sie dreht sich doch.
One is a white boy
one olive
everything is - Einstein!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 05:33 pm
In this dirty old part of the city
Where the sun refused to shine
People tell me there ain't no use in tryin'

Now my girl you're so young and pretty
And one thing I know is true
You'll be dead before your time is due, I know

Watch my daddy in bed a-dyin'
Watched his hair been turnin' grey
He's been workin' and slavin' his life away
Oh yes I know it

(Yeah!) He's been workin' so hard
(Yeah!) I've been workin' too, baby
(Yeah!) Every night and day
(Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!)

We gotta get out of this place
If it's the last thing we ever do
'cause girl, there's a better life for me and you

Now my girl you're so young and pretty
And one thing I know is true, yeah
You'll be dead before your time is due, I know it

Watch my daddy in bed a-dyin'
Watched his hair been turnin' grey, yeah
He's been workin' and slavin' his life away
I know he's been workin' so hard

(Yeah!) I've been workin' too, baby
(Yeah!) Every day baby
(Yeah!) Whoa!
(Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!)

Girl, there's a better life for me and you
Somewhere baby, somehow I know it

Girl, there's a better life for me and you
Believe me baby
I know it baby
You know it too

The Animals
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 05:48 pm
Well, folks, edgar said, "Howdy" to Reyn then came on over here to play a song by The Animals. Thanks, Texas.

Raggedy did her trio and forget to answer our question of the day.

M.D. has a list of things to do and doesn't have time for an island view.

Now we wonder where dj is hiding?

In the interim, Allan Sherman is chiding.

Americas A Nice Italian Name

America's A Nice Italian Name

I live in Italy, the sky is sunny.
'T'sa nice-a place. 't'sa nice-a place.
And if you think the way I talk is funny,
Shaddup-a you face. Shaddup-a you face.
America to me is not so foreign.
It's just the same. She's just the same.
Of course you have-a no got Sophia Loren.
Don't be ashamed, don't be ashamed.
Bella, bella, atsa means-a cute.
Vesta, Vesta, atsa motor scoot.
And if you in a nice-a mood for some-a nice Italian food,
Veal with cheese-a on it is Veal Parmigiana.
The opera house in Rome is called La Scala.
Is very strange. Is very strange.
Ten thousand lira makes a half-a-dolla.
You getta some change. You getta some change.
In Venice if you do a lotta driving,
Then don't-a forget, please don't forget,
Before you drive, go study scuba diving.
The streets is-a wet. The streets is-a wet.
Vino, vino, atsa glass-a wine.
You drink Yousef, I'll-a drink-a mine.
Vittorio DeSica makes a picture twice-a week-a.
Soup with macaroni is called-a minnestrone.
I wrote to Anna Maria Alberghetti.
She sings-a high. Up very high.
I typed the letter on my Olivetti,
I don't know why. I took a try.
Dean Martin, he's a nice Italian fella.
A friend of Frank's. A friend of Frank's.
If you give them a piece of mozzarella,
They tell you thanks. A thousand thanks.
Dolce, dolce, dolce means-a sweet.
Grapes is-a things-a you stamp with you feet.
The Tower of Pisa, she's-a lean. A Necchi is a sewin' machine.
Eat-a some lasagna, but-a don't get any on ya.
A nice-a painter was Botticelli.
He's very old, he's very old.
He's-a paint a lady with a naked belly,
She caught a cold. She caught a cold.
I know a man who wrote a song, "Volare"
He gotta cash. A lotta cash.
He took-a da cash and bought a new Ferrari.
He made a crash. His fender smash.
Gina, Gina Lollobrigida.
I love her, but que sera sera.
And if you see Anna Magnani with Marcello Mastroianni,
Ask if you could borra some spaghetti marinara.
Columbus was a nice Italian fella.
He had no boats. He needed some boats.
So he's fool around with Queen Isabella.
She hadda three boats. She give him the boats.
The queen, she said, "Columbus, pootchy-wootchy,
If you should land in some new land,
Please name it for Americus Vespucci,
'Cause he's a nice Italian man.
Nina, Pinta, and-a Saint Marie,
Fourteen-a ninety-two they sailed the sea,
They found the land and it was grand, and then Columbus he's proclaim:
"I call this land America, a nice Italian name."
(And that's-a why America's a nice Italian name.)

Love it!
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 03:52 am
Greer Garson
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Eileen Evelyn Greer Garson
Born September 29, 1904(1904-09-29)
London, England
Died April 6, 1996 (aged 91)
Dallas, Texas, U.S.
Spouse(s) Edward Alec Abbot Snelson (1933-1940)
Richard Ney (1943-1947)
E. E. "Buddy" Fogelson (1949-1987)
[show]Awards
Academy Awards
Best Actress
1942 Mrs. Miniver
Golden Globe Awards
Best Actress - Motion Picture Drama
1960 Sunrise at Campobello

Eileen Evelyn Greer Garson, CBE (September 29, 1904 - April 6, 1996) was an Academy Award-winning English actress very popular during the World War II years and was the leading lady in many pictures with Walter Pidgeon.

Early life

Known in childhood as "Eggy",[citation needed] she was born in Manor Park, London, England in 1904.[citation needed] She was the only child of George Garson (1865-1906), a clerk born in London but with Scottish lineage, and his Irish wife, Nancy ("Nina") Sophia Greer.

She was educated at the University of London, where she earned degrees in French and 18th-century literature. She intended to become a teacher, but instead began working with an advertising agency, and appeared in local theatrical productions.

Career

She appeared on television during its earliest years, in the 1930s, most notably in a thirty-minute production of an excerpt of Twelfth Night in May 1937, alongside Peggy Ashcroft. This is the first known instance of a Shakespeare play performed on television.

Greer Garson was discovered by Louis B. Mayer while he was in London looking for new talent. Garson was signed to a contract with MGM in 1936 but did not appear in her first American film, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, until 1939. She received her first Oscar nomination for the role, but lost to Vivien Leigh for Gone with the Wind. She did receive critical acclaim the next year for her role as Elizabeth Bennet in the 1940 film, Pride and Prejudice.[1]

Garson starred opposite Joan Crawford in When Ladies Meet in 1941 and that same year, became a major box office star with the sentimental Technicolor drama Blossoms in the Dust which brought her the first of five consecutive Best Actress Oscar nominations, tying Bette Davis' 1938-1942 record, a record that still stands. Garson won the Academy Award for Best Actress in 1942 for her role as a strong British wife and mother in the middle of World War II, in Mrs. Miniver. (Guinness Book of World Records credits her with the longest Oscar acceptance speech, at five minutes and 30 seconds,[1], after which the Academy Awards instituted a time limit.[citation needed]) She was also nominated for Madame Curie (1943), Mrs. Parkington (1944), and The Valley of Decision (1945).

Greer Garson and co-star Ralph Bellamy with Eleanor Roosevelt during filming of Sunrise at CampobelloShe had been America's most popular dramatic actress for several years when she was teamed with Clark Gable in his first film since returning from war service in 1945 entitled Adventure. The film was advertised with the now-classic catch-phrase "Gable's back and Garson's got him!" Garson's popularity dropped somewhat in the late 1940s, but she remained a popular film star until the mid 1950s.

In 1951, she became a naturalized citizen of the United States.[citation needed] After her MGM contract expired in 1954, she made only a few films. In 1958, she received a warm reception on Broadway in Auntie Mame, replacing Rosalind Russell, who had gone to Hollywood to make the film version. In 1960, Garson received her seventh and final Oscar nomination for Sunrise at Campobello, in which she played Eleanor Roosevelt, this time losing to Elizabeth Taylor for BUtterfield 8.

Garson's last film was 1967's The Happiest Millionaire, although she made infrequent television appearances. In 1968 she narrated the children's television special The Little Drummer Boy which went on to become one of the classic children's Christmas television programs and which has been broadcast annually every year since 1966.

Personal life

The actress was married three times. Her first marriage, on September 28, 1933, was to Edward Alec Abbot Snelson (1904-1992), later Sir Edward, a British civil servant who became a noted judge and expert in Indian and Pakistani affairs. The actual marriage reportedly lasted only a few weeks, but was not formally dissolved until 1943.

Her second husband, whom she married in 1943, was Richard Ney (1915-2004), the young actor who played her son in Mrs. Miniver. They divorced in 1949, with Garson claiming that Ney had called her a "has-been" and belittled her age. Ney eventually became a respected stock-market analyst and financial consultant.

That same year, she married a millionaire Texas oilman and horse breeder, E. E. "Buddy" Fogelson (1900-1987), and in 1967, the couple retired to their "Forked Lightning Ranch" in New Mexico. In 1971 they purchased the U.S. Hall of Fame champion Thoroughbred Ack Ack from the estate of Harry F. Guggenheim and were highly successful as breeders. They also maintained a home in Dallas, Texas where Garson funded the Greer Garson Theater facility at Southern Methodist University.

Garson donated millions for the construction of the Greer Garson Theater at the College of Santa Fe on three conditions: 1) that the stage be circular, 2) that the premiere production be William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, and 3) that it have large ladies' rooms.[2]

Death

Greer Garson died from heart failure in Dallas on April 6, 1996, at the age of 91. She is interred there in the Sparkman-Hillcrest Memorial Park Cemetery.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 03:59 am
Gene Autry

Background information

Birth name Orvon Gene Autry
Also known as Gene Autry
Born September 29, 1907(1907-09-29)
Origin Tioga, Texas, USA
Died October 2, 1998 (aged 91)
Genre(s) Country, Western Music
Occupation(s) Singer, Actor
Instrument(s) guitar
Years active 1931 - 1964
Label(s) Columbia Records
Website GeneAutry.com

Orvon Gene Autry (September 29, 1907 - October 2, 1998) was an American performer who gained fame as The Singing Cowboy on the radio, in movies and on television.

Early life

Autry, the grandson of a Methodist preacher, was born near Tioga, Texas. His parents, Delbert Autry and Elnora Ozmont, moved to Ravia, Oklahoma in the 1920s. After leaving high school in 1925, Autry worked as a telegrapher for the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway.

Career

Radio and recordings

An amateur talent with the guitar and voice led to his performing at local dances. After an encouraging chance encounter with Will Rogers, he began performing on local radio in 1928 as "Oklahoma's Yodeling Cowboy".

He signed a recording deal with Columbia Records in 1931. He worked in Chicago, Illinois, on the WLS (AM) radio show National Barn Dance for four years with his own show where he met singer/songwriter Smiley Burnette. In his early recording career Autry covered various genres, including a labor song, "The Death of Mother Jones" in 1931. But his first hit was in 1932 with That Silver-Haired Daddy of Mine, a duet with fellow railroad man, Jimmy Long. Autry also sang the classic Ray Whitley hit "Back in the Saddle Again". Autry also sang many Christmas songs including "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town", his own composition "Here Comes Santa Claus", "Frosty the Snowman" and probably his biggest hit ever, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer".

Autry also owned the Challenge Records label. The label's biggest hit was "Tequila" by The Champs in 1958, which started the rock and roll instrumental craze of the late 1950's and early 1960's.

Films

Discovered by film producer Nat Levine in 1934, he and Burnette made their film debut for Mascot Pictures Corp. in In Old Santa Fe as part of a singing cowboy quartet; he was then given the starring role by Levine in 1935 in the 12-part serial The Phantom Empire. Shortly thereafter, Mascot was absorbed by the formation of Republic Pictures Corp. and Autry went along to make a further 44 films up to 1940, all B westerns in which he played under his own name, rode his horse Champion, had Burnette as his regular sidekick and had many opportunities to sing in each film. He became the top Western star at the box-office by 1937, reaching his national peak of popularity from 1940 to 1942. His Gene Autry Flying "A" Ranch Rodeo show debuted in 1940.

He was the first of the singing cowboys, succeeded as the top star by Roy Rogers when Autry served as a flier with the Air Transport command during World War II. From 1940 to 1956, Autry had a huge hit with a weekly radio show on CBS, Gene Autry's Melody Ranch, and his horse also had a radio-TV series The Adventures of Champion.

Autry briefly returned to Republic after the war, to finish out his contract, which had been suspended for the duration of his military service and which he had tried to have declared void after his discharge. Thereafter, he formed his own production company to make westerns under his own control, which were distributed by Columbia Pictures, beginning in 1947. He also starred in and produced his own television show on CBS beginning in 1950. He retired from show business in 1964, having made almost a hundred films up to 1955 and over 600 records. He was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1969 and to the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1970. Post-retirement, he invested widely in real estate, radio and television, including purchasing from dying Republic Pictures the rights for films he had made for the company.

Cowboy Code

Autry created the Cowboy Code or Cowboy Commandments in response to his young radio listeners aspiring to be just like Gene.

The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.
He must always tell the truth.
He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.
He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
He must help people in distress.
He must be a good worker.
He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.
He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws.
The Cowboy is a patriot.

Baseball executive

In the 1950s, Autry had been a minority owner of the minor-league Hollywood Stars. In 1960, when Major League Baseball announced plans to add an expansion team in Los Angeles, Autry - who had once declined an opportunity to play in the minor leagues - expressed an interest in acquiring the radio broadcast rights to the team's games; baseball executives were so impressed by his approach that he was persuaded to become the owner of the franchise rather than simply its broadcast partner. The team, initially called the Los Angeles Angels upon its 1961 debut, moved to suburban Anaheim in 1966 and became known as the California Angels, then the Anaheim Angels from 1997 until 2005, when it became the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Autry served as vice president of the American League from 1983 until his death. In 1995 he sold a quarter share of the team to The Walt Disney Company, and a controlling interest the following year, with the remaining share to be transferred after his death. Earlier, in 1982, he sold Los Angeles television station KTLA for $245 million.

Personal life

In 1932 he married Ina May Spivey (who died in 1980), who was the niece of Jimmy Long. He married his second wife, Jackie Autry, in 1981. He had no children by either marriage.

Hollywood Walk of Fame

Gene Autry is the only celebrity to have five stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, one in each of the five categories maintained by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce.

The stars are :

Name Category Address
Gene Autry Motion pictures 6644 Hollywood Blvd.
Radio 6520 Hollywood Blvd.
Recording 6384 Hollywood Blvd.
Television 6667 Hollywood Blvd.
Live theatre 7000 Hollywood Blvd.

Legacy

In 1972, he was inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Autry was a life member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Burbank Lodge No. 1497.

His autobiography was published in 1976, co-written by Mickey Herskowitz; it was titled Back in the Saddle Again after his 1939 hit and signature tune. He is also featured year after year, on radio and "shopping mall theme music" at the holiday season, by his famous recording of "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer". "Rudolph" became the first #1 hit of the 1950s.

CMT in 2003 ranked him #38 in CMT's 40 Greatest Men of Country Music.

When the Anaheim Angels won their first World Series in 2002, much of the championship was dedicated to him.

The interchange of Interstate 5 and California State Route 134, located near the Autry National Center in Los Angeles, is signed as the "Gene Autry Memorial Interchange."

The Museum as the centerpiece of his legacy

The Museum of the American West, in Los Angeles' Griffith Park, was founded in 1988 as the "Gene Autry Western Heritage Museum", featuring much of his collection of Western art and memorabilia. Its mission is to preserve everything related to the "mythic aspects" of the American "old west," from true historical lifestyles to the 70-year saga of the Hollywood "western movie" genre.

Included for many years on Forbes magazine's list of the 400 richest Americans, he slipped to their "near miss" category in 1995 with an estimated net worth of $320 million.

Gene Autry died of lymphoma at age 91 at his home in Studio City, California, and is interred in the Forest Lawn, Hollywood Hills Cemetery in Los Angeles, California.

He was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 2003. In 2004, the Starz Entertainment Corporation joined forces with the Autry estate to restore all of his films, which have been shown on Starz's Encore Western Channel on cable television on a regular basis to date since.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 04:01 am
Trevor Howard

Born 29 September 1913
Cliftonville, Kent, England, United Kingdom
Died 7 January 1988 (aged 74)
Bushey, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom

Trevor Howard, CBE (29 September 1913 - 7 January 1988), born Trevor Wallace Howard-Smith, was an English film, stage and television actor.

Early life

Howard was born in Cliftonville, Kent, England, he was educated at Clifton College, Bristol, and he attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and acted on the London stage for several years before World War II. He married the actress Helen Cherry (1915-2001) on 8 September 1944. Howard volunteered for the RAF but served in the British Army as a Second Lieutenant during World War II, and was invalided out of the Army in late 1943.

Film career

His first major role was in the 1945 film, Brief Encounter. He also starred in The Third Man (1949), The Key (1958; based on a Jan de Hartog novel) and Sons and Lovers (1960), for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor.

A great character actor, many times appearing in war and period pieces, Howard later appeared in such films as Outcast of the Islands (1952), The Cockleshell Heroes (1955), Run for the Sun (1956), Mutiny on the Bounty (1962), Father Goose (1964), Morituri (1965), Von Ryan's Express (1965), The Charge of the Light Brigade (1968), Battle of Britain (1969), Ryan's Daughter (1970), Mary, Queen of Scots (1971), Pope Joan (1972), Ludwig (1972), A Doll's House (1973), Superman (1978), Gandhi (1982), White Mischief (1987), and The Dawning (1988). One of his strangest films, and one he took great delight in, was Vivian Stanshall's 1980 Sir Henry at Rawlinson End in which he played the title role.

Throughout his film career Howard insisted that all of his contracts held a clause excusing him from work whenever a cricket Test Match was being played.

A major television role was in Staying On (1980).

Death

He died from a combination of bronchitis, influenza and jaundice, in Arkley in 1988 at the age of 74, survived by his widow Helen.

Legacy

He is commemorated by the Trevor Howard Bar at the Orange Tree Theatre in Richmond.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 04:10 am
Lizabeth Scott

Born September 29, 1922 (1922-09-29) (age 85)
Scranton, Pennsylvania

Lizabeth Scott (born September 29, 1922) is an American actress who achieved some success in films, particularly in the genre of film noir.

Early life

She was born Emma Matzo in the Pine Brook Section of Scranton, Pennsylvania, the daughter of John and Mary Matzo, Roman Catholic immigrants from Slovakia. She attended Central High School and Marywood College.

She later went to New York City and attended the Alvienne School of Drama. In late 1942, she was eking out a precarious living with a small Midtown Manhattan summer stock company when she got a job as understudy for Tallulah Bankhead in Thornton Wilder's play The Skin of Our Teeth. However, Scott never had an opportunity to substitute for Bankhead.

Rise to fame

When Miriam Hopkins was signed to replace Bankhead, Scott quit and returned to her drama studies and some fashion modeling. She then received a call that Gladys George, who was signed to replace Hopkins, was ill, and Scott was needed back at the theatre. She then went on in the leading role of "Sabina", receiving a nod of approval from critics at the tender age of 20. The following night, George was out again and Scott went on in her place.

Soon afterward, Scott was at the Stork Club when motion picture producer Hal Wallis asked who she was, unaware that an aide had already arranged an interview with her for the following day. When Scott returned home however, she found a telegram offering her the lead for the Boston run of The Skin of Our Teeth. She could not turn it down. She sent Wallis her apologies and went on the road.

Though the Broadway production, in which she was credited as "Girl," christened her "Elizabeth," she dropped the "e" the day after the opening night in Boston, "just to be different."

A photograph of Scott in Harper's Bazaar magazine was seen by movie agent Charles Feldman. He admired the fashion pose and took her on as a client. Scott made her first screen test at Warner Brothers, where she and Hal Wallis finally met. Though the test was bad, he recognized her potential. As soon as he set up shop at Paramount, she was signed to a contract. Her movie debut was in You Came Along (1945) opposite Robert Cummings.

Paramount publicity dubbed Scott "The Threat," in order to create an onscreen persona for her similar to Lauren Bacall or Veronica Lake. Scott's smoky sensuality and husky-voice lent itself to the film noir genre and, beginning with The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) starring Barbara Stanwyck and Van Heflin, the studio cast her in a series of thrillers.

The dark blonde actress was initially compared to Bacall because of a slight resemblance and a similar voice, even more so after she starred with Bacall's husband, Humphrey Bogart, in the 1947 noir thriller Dead Reckoning. At the age of 25, Scott's billing and portrait were equal to Bogart's on the film's lobby posters and in advertisements. The movie was the first of many femme fatale roles for Scott.

She also starred in Desert Fury (1947), a noir filmed in Technicolor, with John Hodiak, Burt Lancaster, Wendell Corey, and Mary Astor. In it, she played Paula Haller, who, on her return from college, falls for gangster Eddie Mannix (Hodiak), and faces a great deal of opposition from the others. Scott was paired with Lancaster, Corey, and Kirk Douglas in Hal Wallis' I Walk Alone (1948), a noirish story of betrayal and vengeance.

After being known professionally as Lizabeth Scott for 4 1/2 years, she appeared at the courthouse in Los Angeles, on October 20, 1949, and had her name legally changed.

Scandal

Scott never married or had children. True or false, rumors and allegations concerning her sexual (lesbian [1]) preferences began. In 1955, she hired famed attorney Jerry Giesler and sued Confidential Magazine for $2,500,000 in libel damages.

She charged that the September issue implied that she was "prone to indecent, illegal and highly offensive acts in her private and public life"; "These implications," Scott said, "are willfully, wrongfully, maliciously and completely without truth.". However, her case was thrown out on a technicality and she chose to drop the issue.

After completing Loving You (1957), Elvis Presley's second movie, Scott retired from the screen. She occasional guest starred on television however for several years.

Later Life

In 1972, she made one final motion picture appearance, in Pulp with Michael Caine and Mickey Rooney.

Since then, she has retreated from public view and has declined interview requests, though she appeared at an American Film Institute tribute to Hal Wallis.

Lizabeth Scott has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for her contribution to Motion Pictures at 1624 Vine Street in Hollywood.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 04:16 am
Anita Ekberg

Kerstin Anita Marianne Ekberg (born on September 29, 1931) is a Swedish model, actress and cult sex symbol.

Biography

Ekberg was born in 1931 in Malmö, Skåne, the oldest girl and the sixth of eight children. In her teens she worked as a fashion model. In 1950 Ekberg entered the Miss Malmö competition at her mother's urging, leading to the Miss Sweden contest, which she won. She consequently went to America to compete for Miss Universe in the United States despite not speaking English.

Although she did not win Miss Universe, as one of six finalists she did earn a starlet's contract with Universal Studios, as was the rule at the time.[1] In America, Ekberg met Howard Hughes, who at the time was producing films and wanted her to change her nose, teeth, and name (Hughes said "Ekberg" was too difficult to pronounce). She refused to change her name, saying that if she became famous, people would learn to pronounce it, and if she didn't become famous, it would not matter.

As a starlet at Universal, Ekberg received lessons in drama, elocution, dancing, horse-riding and fencing. Ekberg skipped many of the lessons, restricting herself to horse riding in the Hollywood hills. Ekberg later admitted that she was spoiled by the studio system and played instead of pursuing bigger film roles.[1]

The Pin Up

While at Universal Ekberg caught the attention of legendary director and photographer Russ Meyer who went on record numerous times to say she was the most beautiful woman he ever photographed and that her 40D bustline was the most ample in A list Hollywood history, dwarfing rivals Jayne Mansfield and the British actress Sabrina.[1]"[2]. Ekberg also delighted gossip columnists with her social life. She was linked to many famous men, and was given the nickname "The Iceberg" because of her mysterious demeanor

The combination of a colourful private life and physique gave her appeal to gossip magazines such as Confidential and to the new type of men's magazine that proliferated in the 1950s. She soon became a major 1950s pin-up. In addition Ekberg participated in publicity stunts. Famously, she admitted that an incident where her dress burst open in the lobby of London's Berkeley Hotel was pre-arranged with a photographer.[1]

Film career

By the mid-50s, other studios offered Ekberg work. Paramount Studios and Frank Tashlin cast her in Hollywood or Bust (1956) and Artists and Models (1955) both starring Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. Both films show off her stunning body but also use her as a foil for many of the director's clever sight gags.[1] Ekberg also played an Amazonian extraterrestrial in 1953's Abbott and Costello Go to Mars.

Bob Hope joked that her parents had received the Nobel Prize for architecture as she was touring with him and William Holden to entertain U.S. troops in 1954. The tour led her to a contract with John Wayne's Batjac Productions. Wayne cast her in Blood Alley, a small role (1955), where Ekberg's features and appearance were Orientalized to play a Chinese woman, a role that earned her a Golden Globe award.

RKO gave Ekberg the female lead in Back From Eternity. Co-starring Robert Ryan and Rod Steiger. Anita was perfectly adequate in her cardboard role, and suggested that with a good director and a worthwhile part, she might have something to offer.[1]

In 1956 Anita went to Rome to make War And Peace, directed by distinguished Hollywood veteran King Vidor and co-starring Audrey Hepburn.

As Sylvia in La dolce vita

Federico Fellini gave Ekberg her greatest role in La dolce vita (1960), in which she played the unattainable "dream woman" opposite Marcello Mastroianni; then Boccaccio '70 in 1960, a movie that also featured Sophia Loren. Fellini would call her back for two other films: I clowns (1972), and Intervista (1987), where she played herself in a reunion scene with Mastroianni.

La Dolce Vita was a sensational success, and Anita Ekberg's uninhibited cavorting in Rome's Trevi Fountain remains one of the most celebrated images in film history.

Personal life

Ekberg was married to the British actor Anthony Steel from 1956 to 1959. From 1963 to 1975, she was married to the actor Rik Van Nutter; during their marriage, she had several miscarriages, but no successful pregnancies. In an interview she said she wished she had a child [3], although on another occasion she said she never wanted a child.[4]

Ekberg was romantically linked to Tyrone Power, Marcello Mastroianni, Errol Flynn, Yul Brynner, Frank Sinatra, and Gary Cooper; she also had a three-year affair with the late Fiat chairman Gianni Agnelli.

Ekberg has not lived in Sweden since the early 1950s and rarely visits the country. She has welcomed Swedish journalists in her house outside Rome, and in 2005 appeared in the popular radio program Sommar, talking about her life. She stated in an interview that she will never move back to Sweden until she dies, when she will be buried there. [3] Ekberg has said that the Swedish people and media have not appreciated her sufficiently; nevertheless, her personal and radio appearances have been popular in Sweden.

Ekberg in popular culture

Once said "It was I who made Fellini famous, not the other way around." [1]
Ethel Merman dubbed the buxom Ekberg (measurements 40D-22-36) "the thinking man's dunce cap: two of them."
When "Cubby" Broccoli co-produced From Russia With Love, the film star in the movie poster through which the Bulgarian assassin Krilencu escapes, was changed from Marilyn Monroe, (as in Ian Fleming's novel) to Anita Ekberg.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 04:20 am
Jerry Lee Lewis

Background information

Birth name Jerry Lee Lewis
Born September 29, 1935 (1935-09-29) (age 72)
Origin Ferriday, Louisiana, U.S.
Genre(s) Rock and Roll
Country
Rockabilly
Occupation(s) Singer, Songwriter, Pianist
Instrument(s) Vocals, Piano
Years active 1954 - Present
Label(s) Sun Records ,Mercury Records, Warner Bros. Records, MCA Records
Website www.jerryleelewis.com

Jerry Lee Lewis (born September 29, 1935), also known by the nickname The Killer, is an American rock and roll and country music singer, songwriter, and pianist. An early pioneer of rock and roll music, Lewis was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986 and his pioneering contribution to the genre has been recognized by the Rockabilly Hall of Fame. In 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked him #24 on their list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[1].

Biography

Lewis was born to the poor family of Elmo and Mamie Lewis in Ferriday, Louisiana, and began playing piano in his youth with his two cousins, Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart. His parents mortgaged their farm to buy him a piano. Influenced by a piano-playing older cousin Carl McVoy, the radio, and the sounds from the black juke joint across the tracks, Haney's Big House, Lewis developed his own style mixing rhythm and blues, boogie woogie, gospel, and country music, as well as ideas from established "country boogie" pianists like recording artists Moon Mullican and Merrill Moore. Soon he was playing professionally.

His mother enrolled him in Southwestern Assemblies of God University in Waxahachie, Texas, secure in the knowledge that her son would now be exclusively singing his songs to the Lord. But legend has it that Lewis daringly played a boogie woogie rendition of "My God Is Real" at a church assembly that sent him packing the same night. Pearry Green, then president of the student body, related how during a talent show Jerry played some "worldly" music. The next morning, the dean of the school called both Jerry and Pearry into his office to expel them both. Jerry then said that Pearry shouldn't be expelled because "he didn't know what I was going to do." Years later Pearry asked Jerry "Are you still playing the devil's music?" Jerry replied "Yes, I am. But you know it's strange, the same music that they kicked me out of school for is the same kind of music they play in their churches today. The difference is, I know I am playing for the devil and they don't."

Leaving religious music behind so far as performing, he paid dues at clubs in and around Ferriday and Natchez, Mississippi. He became a part of the burgeoning new rock and roll sound, cutting his first demo recording in 1954. He made a trip to Nashville around 1955 where he played clubs and attempted to drum up interest, but was turned down by the Grand Ole Opry as he had been at the Louisiana Hayride country stage and radio show in Shreveport. Recording executives in Nashville suggested he switch to playing a guitar, Lewis, even then confrontational, once recalled suggesting to one Nashville producer, "You can take your guitar and ram it up your ass!"

Two years later, at Sun Records studio in Memphis, Tennessee, producer and engineer Jack Clement discovered and recorded Lewis for the Sun label while owner Sam Phillips was away on a trip to Florida. He became a session musician playing piano for Sun artists like Billy Lee Riley and Carl Perkins. As his own career came on the upswing, hits such as "Great Balls of Fire" soon followed, and would become his biggest hit. Watching and listening to Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley allegedly said that if he could play the piano like that, he'd quit singing. Lewis' early billing was Jerry Lee Lewis and his Pumping Piano.

On December 4, 1956, Presley dropped in on Phillips to pay a social visit while Perkins was in the studio cutting new tracks with Lewis backing him on piano. The three started an impromptu jam session, and Phillips left the tapes running. He later telephoned Johnny Cash and brought him in to join the others. These recordings, almost half of which were gospel songs, survived, and have been released on CD under the title Million Dollar Quartet. Tracks also include Chuck Berry's "Brown Eyed Handsome Man", Pat Boone's "Don't Forbid Me" and Presley doing an impersonation of Jackie Wilson (who was then with Billy Ward and the Dominoes) singing "Don't Be Cruel. In 1957, his piano and the pure rock and roll sound of "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" (which in 2005 was selected for permanent preservation in the National Recording Registry at the Library of Congress) propelled him to international fame.

Lewis, though not the first pianist in that style, was a pioneer of Piano rock, not only through his sound but also through his dynamic performance. He would often kick the piano bench out of the way to play standing, rake his hands up and down the keyboard for dramatic accent, and even sit down on the instrument. His frenetic performance style can be seen in films such as High School Confidential (he sang the title song from the back of a flatbed truck), and Jamboree. He has been called "rock & roll's first great wild man and also rock & roll's first great eclectic."[1] These performance techniques have been adopted by later Piano rock artists, notably admirers Elton John, Billy Joel, and Ben Folds.

Scandal

He married Jane Mitcham, his second wife, 23 days before his divorce from his first wife was final.

Lewis' turbulent personal life was hidden from the public until a 1958 British tour, when reporters learned about the twenty-three year old star's third wife, Myra Gale Brown, who also happened to be his thirteen-year-old second cousin twice removed. The publicity caused an uproar and the tour was canceled after only three concerts.

The scandal followed Lewis home to America, and as a result he almost vanished from the music scene. Lewis felt betrayed by numerous people who had been his supporters. Dick Clark dropped him from his shows. Lewis even felt that Sam Phillips had sold him out when the Sun Record patriarch released "The Return of Jerry Lee," which mocked Lewis' marital and music problems. Only Alan Freed stayed true to Jerry Lee Lewis, playing his records until Freed was removed from the air because of supposed payola problems.

Even though Jerry Lee Lewis was still under contract with Sun Records, he stopped recording. He had gone from $10,000 a night concerts to $100 a night spots in beer joints and small clubs. He had few friends at the time whom he felt he could trust. It was only through Kay Martin, the president of Lewis' fan club, T. L. Meade, (aka Franz Douskey) a sometime Memphis musician and friend of Sam Phillips, and Gary Sklar, that Lewis went back to record at Sun Records.

By this time, Phillips had built a new state-of-the-art studio at 639 Madison Avenue in Memphis, thus abandoning the old Union Avenue studio where Phillips had recorded B. B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Lewis, and Johnny Cash, and others. It was at the new Madison Avenue studio that Lewis recorded his only hit during this period, which was a cover of Ray Charles' "What'd I Say" in 1961. Another recording of Lewis playing an instrumental boogie arrangement of the Glenn Miller Orchestra favorite "In the Mood," was issued by Sun under the pseudonym of "The Hawk," but disc jockeys quickly figured out the distinctive piano style, and this gambit failed.

Lewis's Sun recording contract ended in 1963 and he joined Smash Records, where he made a number of rock recordings that did not further his career.

His popularity recovered somewhat in Europe, especially in the UK and Germany during the mid-1960s. A live album, Live at the Star Club, Hamburg (1964), recorded with the Nashville Teens, is widely considered one of the greatest live rock and roll albums ever.[2][3] [4] [5][6][7] Music critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine writes, "Live at the Star Club is extraordinary, the purest, hardest rock & roll ever committed to record."[6]

Switch to country

A comeback eluded him in the United States, however, at least within the rock and roll genre, in part because of the changing face of rock music due to the British Invasion and the American folk-rock movement, which gave rock an entire new style, even though most of the musicians in those fields idolized Lewis. Although Lewis was again making steady money touring, he didn't have much success in the charts. Producers coaxed Lewis into trying various ideas, but the one that held the most potential came on an album called "Country Songs for City Folks" which featured Lewis doing country ballads. In the late 1960s, Mercury Records producer Jerry Kennedy convinced Lewis to make a complete switch to country music on record, explaining that he could record country and still play whatever he wanted onstage. Lewis, who had always considered country one of the genres he blended into his trademark sound, had recorded similar ballads at Sun, so it wasn't a stretch. "Another Place, Another Time" shot up the country charts in 1968. More country hits soon followed over the late 1960s and through the 1970s, many of them crossing over into the Hot 100 charts. As his success grew in the country field, he began adding more and more rock to his albums, culminating in a 1972 # 1 single with the Big Bopper hit "Chantilly Lace." Bear Family Records of Germany later licensed and reissued all of Lewis's Sun Recordings on a box set with selected material on various CD's, and did two box sets first on LP, then on CD, compiling Lewis's complete Smash recordings including unreleased material.

Drug addiction and personal tragedies

Although he was always a heavy drinker who often combined his sprees with raucous, even violent behavior, he increasingly became plagued by alcohol and drug problems after Myra divorced him in 1970. Tragedy struck when Lewis' 19-year-old son, Jerry Lee Lewis Jr., was killed in a car accident in 1973. During the 1960s, his second son, Steve Allen Lewis, drowned in a swimming pool accident. He also has a daughter, Phoebe Lewis, who is a singer and musician, and for the past few years has been her father's manager. Lewis' own erratic behavior during the 1970s led to his being hospitalized in 1981 after nearly dying from bleeding stomach ulcers. Again addicted to drugs, Lewis checked himself into the Betty Ford Clinic.

While celebrating his 41st birthday in 1976, Lewis accidentally shot and injured his bass player, Butch Owens. According to Lewis' own account, he had been playing around and didn't realize the gun was loaded. Owens himself stated that Lewis was trying to shoot at an empty cola bottle and he was simply hit by the ricochet.

A few weeks later, on November 23, Lewis, still drinking heavily, was involved in another gun-related incident at Elvis Presley's Graceland residence. Lewis had been invited by Presley, but security was unaware of the visit. Lewis, displaying a gun given to him by a local sheriff on the dashboard of his car, was questioned as to his motives for bringing the weapon. He sarcastically replied, "I'm not here to kill Elvis if that's what you're worried about," but the guard remained suspicious.

Later career

In 1989, a major motion picture based on his early life in rock & roll, Great Balls of Fire, brought him back into the public eye, especially when he decided to re-record all his songs for the movie soundtrack. The film was based on the book by Lewis' ex-wife, Myra Gale Lewis, and starred Dennis Quaid as Lewis, Winona Ryder as Myra, and Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Swaggart. The movie focuses on Lewis' early career and his relationship with Myra, and ends with the scandal of the late 1950's.

The very public downfall of his cousin, television evangelist Jimmy Swaggart, resulted in more adverse publicity to an already troubled family. Swaggart is also a piano player, as is another cousin, country music star Mickey Gilley. All three listened to the same music when they were growing up and frequented Haney's Big House, the Ferriday club that featured black blues acts. Lewis and Swaggart have had a complex relationship over the years.

Lewis's sister, Linda Gail Lewis has recorded with Jerry Lee, toured with his stage show for a time and more recently recorded with Van Morrison. In 1990, Lewis made minor news when a new song he co-wrote called "It Was the Whiskey Talking, Not Me" was included in the soundtrack to the hit movie Dick Tracy. The song can even be heard in a scene from the movie in which it is playing on the radio.

Despite the personal problems, Lewis' musical talent is widely acknowledged. Nicknamed "The Killer" for his forceful voice and piano production on stage, he was described by fellow artist Roy Orbison as the best raw performer in the history of rock and roll music.[8] In 1986, Lewis was part of the first group inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

That same year, he returned to Sun Studio in Memphis to team up with Orbison, Cash, and Perkins along with longtime admirers like John Fogerty and Ricky Nelson to create the album Class of '55, a sort of followup to the "Million Dollar Quartet" session, though in the eyes of many critics and fans, lacking the spirit of the old days at Sun.

Lewis has never stopped touring, and fans who have seen him perform say he can still deliver unique concerts that are unpredictable, exciting, and personal. In February 12, 2005, he was given a Lifetime Achievement Award by The Recording Academy (which also grants the Grammy Awards). On September 26, 2006 a new album titled Last Man Standing was released, featuring many of rock and roll's elite as guest stars. Receiving positive reviews, the album charted in four different Billboard charts, including a two week stay at number one on the Indie charts.

A DVD entitled Last Man Standing Live, featuring concert footage with many guest artists, was released in March 2007, while the CD was well on the way to going gold. 'Last Man Standing' CD is Jerry Lee's biggest selling album of all time. If it goes gold it will be his 10th official gold record, and his first since 1973. ('The Session' album was awarded a Gold Disk for selling over 250,000 copies because it was a double album. Single albums and CDs have to sell over 500,000. 'Last Man Standing' has more tracks than the original 'The Session' release and has already shipped over 400,000 copies worldwide.)

He now resides on a ranch in Nesbit, Mississippi with his family.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 04:23 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 04:26 am
At one time in my life, I thought I had a handle on
the meaning of the word "service". The act of doing
things for other people. Then I heard these service
terms:

Internal Revenue Service,

Postal Service,

Civil Service,

Telephone Service,

Service Stations,

A O L Service Desk,

Customer Service,

City/County Public Service.

And I became confused about the word "service.
This is not what I thought "service" meant.

Then one day, I overheard two farmers talking, and one of
them mentioned that he was having a bull service a few
of his cows.

SHAZAM!! It all came into perspective. Now I understand
what all those "service" agencies are doing to us...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 04:57 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Hey, Bio Bob. Great celeb info today. As always, we love your funny service story, and how true; how true. Razz

Well, folks, we have played Italiano songs, so how about a Spanish ranchero melody as done by Gene and Hank. Hopefully, the speckled pup can do her "one at a time" photo's that make us blink.

El Rancho Grande

El Rancho Grande
(English lyrics Bartley Costello,
Spanish lyrics by J. del Moral, Music by Emilio Uranga)

CHO: I love to roam out yonder
Out where the buffalo wander
Free as the eagle flying
I'm roping and a-tying
I'm roping and a-tying.
Give me my ranch and my cattle
Far from the great city's rattle
Give me a big herd to battle
For I just love herding cattle.

CHO: Alla en la rancho grande
Alla donde vivia
Habia una ranche rita
Que alegre me decia
Que alegra me decia.
Te voy hacer tus calzones
Como los usa el ranchero
Te los comienzo de lana
Te los acabo de cuero.

Sometimes the winter storms tearing,
Set all the cattle a-raring.

But when the winter is over,
We're sure enough in the clover.

Give me the wide-open spaces,
That's just where I know my place is.

I love the rodeo dearly,
And the big round-up yearly.

Though we play seven eleven,
My ranch is next door to Heaven

We smile when we take a beatin',
But hang a rat when he's cheatin'.

Fantastic!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 08:18 am
One by one they're turning out the lights

I've been feedin' that ol' jukebox just to hold you tight

I guess its for the best I just put in my last dime

I heard you whisper "We'll meet again, another place, another time"

Chairs are stacked all over tables its closing time they say

I could wait right here forever if they'd only let me stay

Anywhere would be much better than lonley room of mine

Throug a lonely night a waitin' for

Another place, Another time

Won't that room of mine be a lonely place to be

I've been so used to holding you close to me

Won't that old stairway be hard to climb

To a lonley room waiting for another place, another time

Won't that old stairway be hard to climb

To a lonely room to wait for

Another Place, Another Time

Jerry Lee Lewis
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 08:39 am
edgar, you really ought to watch that movie, Walk the Line with Joaquin Phoenix. I was reluctant because the clip did not seem promising, Texas. It was excellent.

Thanks for the Jerry Lee and the mem-or-ry.

Art for the day.

Lightwizard was talking about Duchamp's version of Mona Lisa, but I think Dali's version is better.

http://www.catholicintl.com/epologetics/articles/pastoral/art/fig52.jpg

Ah, Mona Lisa, Mona Lisa men have "maimed you". Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 11:52 am
I watched Walk the Line. My feeling about it mirrors most such biographical films. They dwell so much on the low points in these lives, I find it hard to enjoy them.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 12:39 pm
I agree with you on that point, edgar, but I was more interested in watching the performance and listening to the music than the bio info, I guess.

Well, folks, until that puppy pounces in. (hope she can). Here's one that is done by Johnny, and I will dedicate this to my cousin, Billy B. since we had a session in Virginia. What a shock to find my mom's upright Kimball piano tucked away in a music room. Billy played violin and I played the piano while the rest of the tribe sang.

Johnny Cash
Life's Railway To Heaven

Life is like a mountain railroad
With an engineer that's brave
We must make the run successful
From the cradle to the grave

Watch the curves, the fills, and tunnels
Never falter, never fail
Keep your hand upon the throttle
And your eyes upon the rail

Blessed Savior, Thou will guide us
Till we reach that blissful shore
Where the angels wait to join us
In that great forevermore

As you roll across the trestle,
Spanning Jordon's swelling tide.
You'll behold the Union Depot into which your train will glide.
There you'll meet the superintendent,
God the Father, God the Son.
With a hearty joyous greetings:
"Weary Pilgrims Welcome Home"

I suspect, listeners, that the music and the belief helped The Man in Black to get his act together.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 01:23 pm
Holding my breath:

http://www.movieactors.com/wincovers/miniver.jpeghttp://www.bayarearadio.org/photos/gene-autry_x175.jpghttp://movies.toptenreviews.com/actors/images/actors/a332735.jpg
http://www.geh.org/ar/strip89/l197100500041.jpghttp://www.malmo.com/celeb/profilbilder/anita.jpg

Aaaah. Breathing again.

Might be back with the other two.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 01:42 pm
http://www.lpdiscography.com/l/Lewis/lewis_wouldyoutake.jpghttp://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/thumb/c/c3/Grover_again.JPG/300px-Grover_again.JPG

Greer Garson, Gene Autry, Trevor Howard, Lizbeth Scott, Anita Ekberg, Jerry Lee Lewis and Madeline Kahn

I think that does it. Very Happy

Hope you all have a lovely Saturday.
0 Replies