WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 05:33 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

bigdice, what a delight to have you here in our cyber studio. What wonderful memories I have of Cocoa Beach, and you tell the Mrs. that this one by Police is for her and for all of us who remember.

Turn on my V.C.R.
Same one I've had for years
James Brown on the Tammy show
Same tape I've had for years
I sit in my old car

Same one I've had for years
Old battery's running down
It ran for years and years

Turn on the radio
The static hurts my ears
Tell me where would I go
I ain't been out in years
Turn on the stereo
It's played for years and years
An Otis Redding song
It's all I own

When the world is running down
You make the best of what's still around

Plug in my M.C.I
To excercise my brain
Make records on my own
Can't go out in the rain
Pick up the telephone
I've listened here for years
No one to talk to me
I've listened here for years

When I feel lonely here
Don't waste my time with tears
I run 'Deep Throat' again
It ran for years and years
Don't like the food I eat
The cans are running out
Same food for years and years
I hate the food I eat

0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 07:35 am
Walter Pidgeon
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Walter Davis Pidgeon
Born September 23, 1897(1897-09-23)
Saint John, New Brunswick Canada
Died September 25, 1984 (aged 87) age 87
Santa Monica, California

Walter Davis Pidgeon (September 23, 1897 - September 25, 1984) was a Canadian actor who lived most of his life in the United States, and eventually became a US citizen.

Born near Saint John, New Brunswick, he attended local public schools followed by the University of New Brunswick, where he studied law and drama. His studies were interrupted by World War I and his enlistment in the 65th Battery of the Canadian Field Artillery. He never saw combat as he was severely injured when crushed between two gun carriages and hospitalized for 17 months.

After the War he moved to Boston, where he worked as a bank runner. Discontented with banking, he moved to New York City where he made his entrance as an actor by walking into the office of E. E. Clive and announcing that he could act and sing and was ready to prove it.

Career

Pidgeon began his career by studying at the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston. He was a classically trained baritone.

After working as an actor on stage for a few years, he made his Broadway debut in 1925. He made several silent movies in the 1920s. He became a huge star with the arrival of talkies because he was able to sing pleasantly. He starred in a number of extravagant early Technicolor musicals such as The Bride of the Regiment (1930), Sweet Kitty Bellairs (1930), Kiss Me Again (1930) and Viennese Nights (1930). He quickly became associated with musicals, however, and when the the public grew weary of them late in 1930, his career began to falter. Afterwards, Pidgeon played secondary roles in such films as Saratoga and The Girl of the Golden West.

It was not until he starred in How Green Was My Valley that his popularity soared once again. He starred opposite Greer Garson in Blossoms in the Dust, Mrs. Miniver (for which he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor) and its sequel, The Miniver Story. He was also nominated in 1944 for Madame Curie, again opposite Garson.

Although he continued making films, including Week-End at the Waldorf and Forbidden Planet, based on Shakespeare's The Tempest, Pidgeon returned to work on Broadway in the mid-1950s after a twenty-year absence, and was featured in Take Me Along with Jackie Gleason. He continued making films, playing Admiral Harriman Nelson in the 1961 Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and in 1962, in Walt Disney's Big Red and Otto Preminger's Advise and Consent. His role as Florenz Ziegfield in Funny Girl (1965) was well received. He also played Casey, James Coburn's sidekick in Harry in Your Pocket(1973).

Pidgeon also guest-starred in many television programs, including Perry Mason, The FBI, and Marcus Welby, M.D..

Pidgeon was active in the Screen Actors Guild and served as President from 1952-1957. In this role he tried to stop the production of the film Salt of the Earth which was made by a team blacklisted during the Red Scare.

He retired fully in 1973, and died of stroke in Santa Monica, California, in 1984. In accordance with his wishes, his body was donated to the UCLA Medical School for medical research.

Pidgeon has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6414 Hollywood Blvd.

Personal Life

Pidgeon married twice. In 1919 he married Edna Pickles. This marriage was short-lived as she died in 1921 at the birth of their daughter, Edna Pidgeon Atkins. Through her he had two granddaughters, Pat and Pam. In 1931 he married his secretary, Ruth Walker, to whom he remained married until his death. They had no children.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 07:39 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 07:45 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 07:55 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 07:56 am
Let me tell you bout a girl I know she's my baby and she lives next door
Every morning fore the sun comes up she brings me coffee in my favorite cup
That's why I know yes I know hallelujah I just love her so

When I'm in trouble and I need a little friend
That woman she stricks by me to the end
Now you ask me how do I know I smile at you and say she told me so
That's why I know yes I know hallelujah I love her so

Oh now when she call me on the telephone and tell me baby I'm all alone
By the time I count from one to four to hear me knockin' upon her door
In the evening fore the sun goes down ain't nobody else a hangin' around
She kisses me and holds me tight and tells me pretty baby everything's all right
That's why I know yes I know hallelujah I just love her so
[ piano ]
Oh now when she call me on the telephone...

Jerry Lee Lewis version
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 08:01 am
Romy Schneider

Birth name Rosemarie Magdalena Albach-Retty
Born September 23, 1938(1938-09-23)
Vienna, Austria
Died May 29, 1982 (aged 43), age 43
Paris, France

Romy Schneider (September 23, 1938 - May 29, 1982) was a German actress.

Early life

She was born Rosemarie Magdalena Albach-Retty in Vienna into a family of actors that included her paternal grandmother Rosa Albach-Retty, her father Wolf Albach-Retty of Austria and her German mother Magda Schneider . After the divorce in 1945, Magda took charge of Romy and her brother Wolfi, eventually supervising the young girl's career, often appearing alongside her daughter. Romy thus made her film debut in Wenn der weisse Flieder wieder blüht (1953), at the age of 15. Young Romy's career was also overseen by her stepfather, Hans-Herbert Blatzheim, a noted restaurateur who Schneider indicated had an unhealthy interest in her [citation needed].

In the film Mädchenjahre einer Königin (Girlhood of a Queen, Ernst Marischka, 1954) Romy Schneider for the first time portrayed a royal. This Austrian movie is about the early years of Queen Victoria of Britain, in particular her first encounter with Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg. Schneider's breakthrough, however, came with her portrayal of Princess Elisabeth of Bavaria -- later to become Empress Elisabeth of Austria -- in the romantic biopic Sissi (1955) and its two sequels (1956 and 1957).

Soon tired of the saccharine image these movies had bestowed upon her, Schneider was eager for the chance to star in the much more sombre Christine (1958), a remake of Max Ophüls's 1933 film Liebelei (itself based upon a play by Arthur Schnitzler). It was during the filming of Christine that Schneider fell in love with French actor Alain Delon, who co-starred in the movie. She abruptly left Germany to join him in Paris, creating a national scandal. Schneider became engaged to Delon in 1959. It was to be a pivotal point in both her personal and professional life.

Schneider stayed in France, slowly gaining the interest of film directors such as (Orson Welles) Le Procès (1963), based upon Franz Kafka's The Trial and was introduced by Delon to Luchino Visconti.

Under Visconti's direction, she gave metamorphic performances in John Ford's play "'Tis a pity she's a whore" and in the film "Boccaccio '70" (episode: The Job), where her delicate, feline beauty and fierce sensuality contrasted with the more obvious charms of Anita Ekberg and Sophia Loren (Coco Chanel made her costumes). A brief stint in Hollywood included appearances in Good Neighbor Sam, a 1964 comedy with Jack Lemmon, and 1965 What's New, Pussycat? costarring Peter O'Toole, Peter Sellers and Woody Allen who also wrote the screenplay).

Romy Schneider's private life continued turbulently. Dumped by Delon (they never married) in 1963, she married (1966) and divorced (1975) Harry Meyen (1924 - 1979), a German director and actor who later committed suicide. The couple had a son, David Christopher Meyen (1966-1981). In 1975, Schneider married Daniel Biasini, her private secretary; they separated in 1981. Their daughter Sarah Magdalena Biasini (b. July 14, 1977) is also an actress.

Schneider continued starring in films with Alain Delon. On a break from filming after marriage and motherhood, she soon realized she wanted and needed to continue working as an actress. "Just then," she later remembered, "Alain called me up and asked if I exclusively had husband and children on my mind, or would be interested in doing a movie".

The movie, a sexy thriller titled La Piscine (The Swimming Pool) (1968) was a sensation and added yet another dimension to Schneider's on-screen persona. The Assassination of Trotsky (1972) followed and Delon remained a lifelong friend, coming to her aid during difficult times.

Romy Schneider reigned in France as an actress during the 1970s, giving remarkable performances in films such as Le vieux fusil, Max et les ferrailleurs and the crowd pleasers Les choses de la vie and Cesar et Rosalie. The harsh L'important c'est d'aimer, garnered her first Cesar (France's equivalent of the Oscar).

Ludwig, Visconti's 1972 film about the life of King Ludwig II of Bavaria, featured her as a much more complex, mature, even bitter Elisabeth of Austria. "Sissi sticks to me just like oatmeal," Schneider once said. Reportedly, a portrait of her taken from the Visconti film was the only one of her roles she had displayed in her home.

Worth mentioning among her other films is the macabre Le Trio infernal (1974) with Michel Piccoli, and what may have been her greatest performance, a chilling turn in Garde à vue with Michel Serrault and Lino Ventura (1981).

In 1980 she starred in Bertrand Tavernier's prophetic La mort en direct (Deathwatch), based on D. G. Compton's novel, playing a dying woman whose last days are watched on national television via a camera implanted in the brain of a journalist (Harvey Keitel). Her last film was La Passante du Sans-Souci (The Passerby, 1982).

Death

Schneider began drinking alcohol in excess after the sudden death, on July 5, 1981, of her 14-year-old son, David. David had attempted to climb the spiked fence at his stepfather's parents home when he punctured his femoral artery. He got himself off the fence and into the house for help but by the time the ambulance got him to the hospital he had lost too much blood and died. When Romy was found dead in her apartment in Paris, France on May 29, 1982, at the age of 43, it was suggested that she had committed suicide by taking a lethal cocktail of alcohol and sleeping pills. However, no post-mortem examination was carried out. She was declared to have died from cardiac arrest.

Following her burial, it became known that her companion Laurent Petin had buried her with a large amount of gold jewelery, which led to her tomb being ransacked by thieves. She was later reburied in a more secure means. These circumstances were similar to that of Benny Hill after his burial.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 08:16 am
Julio Iglesias

Background information

Birth name Julio José Iglesias de la Cueva
Born September 23, 1943 (1943-09-23) (age 64)
Madrid,Spain
Origin Madrid
Genre(s) Latin
Occupation(s) Singer
Years active 1968 - Present
Label(s) Columbia, Sony
Website JulioIglesias.com

Julio José Iglesias de la Cueva (born September 23, 1943 in Madrid) is the best-selling singer of all time, having sold over 250 million records[1] in different languages and released 77 records. While Iglesias rose to international prominence in the 1970s and 1980s as a performer of romantic ballads and as an iconically suave Latin gentleman, his success has continued as he crossed musical and linguistic barriers. Thus far, he has performed approximately 5,000 concerts and recorded albums in fourteen different languages[2].

Biography

Julio is the eldest son of Dr. Julio Iglesias Puga from Galicia and Maria del Rosario de la Cueva y Perignat; his younger brother is Carlos. When Iglesias himself was 61, his 87-year-old father had more children. Half brother Jaime was born 18 May 2004, and half-sister Ruth on 26 July 2006. Julio's half-siblings were born from the second marriage of Dr. Julio Iglesias Puga and Ronna Keitt.

If not for a car accident, on 22nd September 1963, he may have never had a music career:"I had a car accident, very, very strong car accident," remembers Iglesias. I had what they call paraparexia, which is not a paraplegic. It's a compression in the cord, in the sense of the neck … my spinal cord, and I was very, very ill for three years." Doctors thought the young man would never walk again. But slowly, he started to recover. And to increase dexterity in his hands, he began to play the guitar. Once he recovered, he resumed his studies and he travelled to England to study English, first in Ramsgate and then at Bell Educational Trust's Language School in Cambridge.

In June 2001 he finished his law degree at Madrid Spain's Complutense University, fulfilling the promise he made to his then 84-year-old father that he would eventually graduate after dropping out 35 years ago to pursue his music career. He received a certificate as a lawyer from Cambridge University [citation needed].

During the 1970s he met the Filipina socialite and Hola! magazine journalist Isabel Preysler, and just 7 months later they married. Together they have 3 children:

Daughter: Isabel Iglesias known as Chabeli Iglesias (born September 3, 1971, in Madrid).
Son: Julio José Iglesias Jr. (born February 25, 1973, in Madrid).
Son: Enrique Iglesias (singer, born May 8, 1975, in Madrid).
Chabeli Iglesias is now a news reporter in Washington DC. Enrique Iglesias followed in his father's footsteps and is a world-famous singer. Julio José Iglesias is a model who has released two CDs. It was during the 1970s that the Iglesias family's private life became very public, with Julio and the rest of the family frequently featured on the covers of various international magazines. The couple divorced in 1978.

Since 1990 Iglesias has been with Dutch former model Miranda Johanna Maria Rijnsburger born on October 5, 1965. [3] He revealed that Miranda accepted his marriage proposal and they will marry[4] in the future so that their twin daughters will be bridemaids. Together they have 5 children:

Son: Miguel Alejandro (born September 7, 1997)[5]
Son: Rodrigo (born April 3, 1999)[6]
Twin daughters: Victoria and Cristina (born May 1, 2001).[7]
Guillermo was born on May 5, 2007, at 6:12pm in Mount Sinai Hospital in Miami Beach, FL. He weighed 8 lbs. 7oz. and was 21 inches long. The childbirth was natural, and was assisted by Doctor Rebeca Martinez and pediatrician Tony Adams. Both the baby and the mother are fine and in perfect health.

Musical career

Early career to 1978

In 1968, he won the Benidorm International Song Festival, a songwriter's contest in Spain, and signed a contract with a Columbia Records Latin music label, Discos Columbia. He represented Spain at the Eurovision Song Contest in 1970, finishing fourth behind Northern Irish singer Dana Scallon, and the Welsh singer Mary Hopkin. His entry was the song "Gwendolyne" which was his first recording. Notable albums from this decade include A Flor de Piel (1974, which spawned the big European hit Manuela), El Amor (1975) and Soy (1978).

Peak during 1978-1990

In 1978, he signed a contract for CBS International, adding English, French, Portuguese, German and Italian to his language repertoire. Iglesias released the album De Nina a Mujer in 1981, from which he had his first hit in the English market with a Spanish cover of "Begin the Beguine" (a No.1 hit in the United Kingdom). He also released a collection, Julio, in 1983 building his reputation.

In 1984, he released the smash hit album 1100 Bel Air Place, which gave him considerable fame in English-language markets. The album sold three million albums in the US alone, with the first single "To All The Girls I've Loved Before", a duet with Willie Nelson, reaching the top five on the Billboard Hot 100. The album also featured "All of You", a hit duet with Diana Ross.

In 1985, his father was kidnapped but found well and alive after two agonizing weeks. This prompted Julio (divorced from Preysler), to move his family to Miami, Florida, where they settled in a mansion on Miami Beach. That year he also recorded duets with Diana Ross and Willie Nelson. It was rumored in 1986 that Julio, perhaps seeking to get away from all the fame and hoopla for one week, was found walking around the streets of Cayey, Puerto Rico, after disappearing for seven days. After visiting the island of the Dominican Republic he fell so in love with it that in late 2005 he adopted legally Dominican citizenship.

Iglesias won a Grammy Award for Best Latin Pop Album in the 1988 Grammy Awards for the album Un Hombre Solo ("A Man Alone"). He also recorded a duet with Stevie Wonder on "My Love" from his Non Stop album which achieved crossover success in 1988.

Stories of Julio's expensive private jets, boats, and houses became legendary during that decade, and his world tours took him to many countries and continents around the world performing in many sold out concerts among the vast female populations.

Since 1990

In the 1990s, Julio went back to his Spanish music roots, and in 1996, he released a CD named Tango. He is still recording and touring constantly, fighting to keep his popularity around the world. He says in interviews that he would not recognize his life without singing, and that he wants to die on stage. He is also very proud of his son Enrique's success. Julio is very amenable to signing autographs, although he can be a little difficult to reach sometimes, due to his and his family's security detail, which they have had since the 1985 kidnapping of Julio's father.

Since 2000

Iglesias returned to the headlines in October, 2003, when he went to Argentina and kissed show host Susana Gimenez three times during a live telecast of her show.

2003 saw the release of the Spanish album "Divorcio." (Divorce) In its first day of sales, "Divorcio" sold a record 350,000 copies in Spain; and quickly reached the #1 spot on the charts in Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, and Russia.

The remainder of 2003 and early 2004 featured a mega 10 month world tour; which took Iglesias, fueled with the success of "Divorcio" from Europe and Asia to The United States, South America, and Africa. More than half the shows on the tour sold out within days of going on sale, showing that fans still adore Julio.

In December of 2004, Miranda and Julio recorded a duet of the Christmas song Silent Night. The song, which was not officially released, also included a voice message from Julio, Miranda, and their 4 young children. The song was released online through the singer's web page, and a CD was included in their Christmas card as a holiday gift from the Iglesias family to their friends and to fans around the world.

Julio has made important investments in the Dominican Republic's eastern town of Punta Cana, a major tourist destination, where he spends most of the year when he is not on tour.

The singer's south Florida mansion on the exclusive, security obsessed, private Indian Creek Island is currently on the market for $28 million dollars making it one of "Ten Most Expensive Homes in the South" in 2006 according to Forbes Magazine.[1]

In September 2006 a new English album titled "Romantic Classics" was released. "I've chosen songs from the '60s, '70s and 80s that I believe will come to be regarded as the new standards," Iglesias says in the album's sleeve notes. The album features the hits "I Want To Know What Love Is", "Careless Whisper", and "Right Here Waiting".

Romantic Classics was Julio's highest debut on the BILLBOARD charts entering at number 31 in the USA, 21 in Canada, 10 in Australia, and top spots across Europe and Asia.

In late September, Julio returned to the studio to record songs in Bahasa Indonesian and in Filipino for the Asian releases of "Romantic Classics"- which helped propel sales in the Asian Markets.

Julio promoted "Romantic Classics" very heavily in the remainder of 2006, and was seen all over the world on popular TV shows, and in the USA, he appeared on Dancing With The Stars where he sang his hit "I Want To know what Love Is," "Good Morning America," "The View," "Fox and Friends," and "Martha Stewart."

Julio is currently performing several concerts in Romania (in Bucharest, Sibiu, Timisoara, Bacau and Constanta) promoting his "Romantic Classics" album.

Family expansion

On May 5th, two weeks before the start of the European leg of his 2007 world tour, Guillermo, the eighth child of Julio Iglesias (fifth with wife Miranda Rijnsburger) was born at 6:12pm in Mount Sinai Hospital in Miami Beach, FL.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 08:25 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 08:28 am
IF YOU'VE EVER FELT STUPID - READ ON:

(On September 17, 1994, Alabama's Heather Whitestone was selected as Miss America 1995.)
Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?
Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not
live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever,
then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever,
which is why I would not live forever,"

-- Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss USA contest .

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids
all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love
to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and
death and stuff."
--Mariah Carey

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very
important part of your life."
-- Brooke Shields, during an interview to become
spokesperson for federal anti-smoking campaign .

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part
of my body"
-- Winston Bennett,
University of Kentucky basketball forward .

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the
lowest crime rates in the country"
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through
our papers. We are the president."
-- Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of
subpoenaed documents.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death
by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it."
--A congressional candidate in Texas .

``````````````````````````````````````````````````

"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
--Philadelphia Phillies manager, Danny Ozark

````````````````````````````````````````````````

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's
the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
--Al Gore, Vice President

And

"We are ready for an un foreseen event that
may or may not occur."
-- Al Gore, VP

````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"I love California . I practically grew up in Phoenix ."

-- Dan Quayle

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much
clean air do we need ?"
--Lee Iacocca

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A
genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
--Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"We don't necessarily discriminate. We simply exclude
certain types of people."
-- Colonel Gerald Wellman, ROTC Instructor .

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
--Bill Clinton, President

"Traditionally, most of Australia 's imports come
from overseas."
--Keppel Enderbery

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"Your food stamps will be stopped effective
March 1992 because we received notice that
you passed away. May God bless you. You may
reapply if there is a change in your circumstances."
--Department of Social Services, Greenville , South Carolina

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"If somebody has a bad heart, they can plug this jack
in at night as they go to bed and it will monitor their
heart throughout the night. And the next morning, when
they wake up dead, there'll be a record."
--Mark S. Fowler, FCC Chairman
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 08:46 am
Hee, hee. Love it, hawkman, both the bio's and the "clever" remarks. Reading those pithy observations just made me realize that I may be a candidate for MENSA. Thank you, Bio Bob.

Incidentally, folks, you MUST have a brain to play like the Trane.

One of my favorites by him.

But Not For Me

Written by George and Ira Gershwin
Available on the soundtrack Four Weddings and a Funeral

They're writing songs of love, but not for me
A lucky star's above, but not for me

With love to lead the way, I've found more clouds are grey
Than any Russian play could guarantee

I was a fool to fall and get that way
Heigh ho, alas, and also lack-a-day
Although I can't dismiss the memory of his kiss
I guess he's not for me

Just saw that Marcel Marceau died today. He was a mime with a mind. In pace requiscat, Marcel.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 09:42 am
Laughing Those sayings are hilarious Bob.

Good morning WA2K.

Walter Pidgeon, Mickey Rooney, John Coltrane, Ray Charles, Romy Schneider, Julio Iglesius(I like Willie Nelson and Julio's recording, "To All the Girls I've Loved Before") and Bruce Springsteen (I love " Streets of Philadelphia")

http://members.cox.net/classicliz/images/pidgeon-w.jpghttp://www.hdtv55.com/Web_Images/Herb_images/mickey_rooney.jpg
http://images.umvd.com/aec/Toenails/fc00919fdd8948fb9b61626dcb8ac8a6.jpghttp://images.villagevoice.com/issues/0424/ray.jpg

Continued:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 10:33 am
Hooray for Rag-ge-dy, she did the pictures we can plainly see. Thanks, PA.
Can't wait to see the continuation as well, but you forgot this fellow....

http://www.un.org/spanish/envejecimiento/marcellogolg.jpg

So, folks, this one is from Julio, and we'll play it for Willie and The Boss.

To all the girls I've loved before
Who travelled in and out my door
I'm glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the girls I once caressed
And may I say I've held the best
For helping me to grow
I owe a lot I know

The winds of change are always blowing
And every time I try to stay
The winds of change continue blowing
And they just carry me away

To all the girls who shared my life
Who now are someone else's wives
I'm glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the girls who cared for me
Who filled my nights with ecstasy
They live within my heart
I'll always be a part
Of all the girls I've loved before

The winds of change are always blowing
And every time I try to stay
The winds of change continue blowing
And they just carry me away

To all the girls we've loved before
Who travelled in and out our doors
We're glad they came along
We dedicate this song

Who travelled in and out our doors
We're glad they came along
We dedicate this song
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 01:27 pm
Coltrane played this great Billy Strayhorn piece as an instrumental, and also recorded it with vocalist Johnny Hartman, on one of trane's most accessible & lyrical albums, <John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman> (incidentally, i've wondered if the word 'gay' was used by Strayhorn with it's modern connotation in mind, given his own orientation)

I used to visit all the very gay places
Those come-what-may places
Where one relaxes on the axis of the wheel of life
To get the feel of life from jazz and cocktails

The girls I knew had sad and sullen gray faces
With distingué gay traces that used to be there
You could see where they'd been washed away
By too many through the day, twelve o'clock tales

Then you came along with your siren song
To tempt me to madness
I thought for awhile that your poignant smile
Was tinged with the sadness of a great love for me
Ah yes, I was wrong
Again, I was wrong

Life is lonely again and only last year
Everything seemed so sure
Now life is awful again
A trough full of hearts could only be a bore

A week in Paris could ease the bite of it
All I care is to smile in spite of it

I'll forget you, I will while yet you are still
Burning inside my brain romance is mush
Stifling those who strive

So I'll live a lush life in some small dive
And there I'll be
While I rot with the rest of those
Whose lives are lonely too
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 01:47 pm
Welcome back, M.D. Nat Cole did that song as well. Also saw a movie called Lush Life with Forest Whitaker and Jeff Goldblum. Forest has Clifford Brown's horn, I think.

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/Large/48/481948.jpg

I guess their hearts were young and gay, honu. Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 02:10 pm
Hey, Who's this guy with Billy?

http://www.news.uiuc.edu/WebsandThumbs/Librarymisc/am_music/Billy2_b.jpg

Just realized that the Duke and Billy co-wrote this song, folks.

You must take the "A"-Train
To go to sugar hill way up in Harlem
If you miss the "A"-Train
You'll find you missed the quickest way to Harlem

Hurry - get on now it's coming
Listen - to these rails a-humming - all board
get on the "A"-Train
Soon You will be on sugar hill in Harlem

I think Lawrence Welk introduced the song as "Take a train". Love it!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 05:56 pm
Quote:
I think Lawrence Welk introduced the song as "Take a train".

Laughing

i also recall that he introduced some singer from NAXWILL Laughing .
i think he knew what his listeners wanted - and he obliged them !
"aren't my boys and girls WUNNERFULL ! "

still smiling when i think of him !
hbg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 06:34 pm
To Ramona

Ramona, come closer,
Shut softly your watery eyes.
The pangs of your sadness
Shall pass as your senses will rise.
The flowers of the city
Though breathlike, get deathlike at times.
And there's no use in tryin'
T' deal with the dyin',
Though I cannot explain that in lines.

Your cracked country lips,
I still wish to kiss,
As to be under the strength of your skin.
Your magnetic movements
Still capture the minutes I'm in.
But it grieves my heart, love,
To see you tryin' to be a part of
A world that just don't exist.
It's all just a dream, babe,
A vacuum, a scheme, babe,
That sucks you into feelin' like this.

I can see that your head
Has been twisted and fed
By worthless foam from the mouth.
I can tell you are torn
Between stayin' and returnin'
On back to the South.
You've been fooled into thinking
That the finishin' end is at hand.
Yet there's no one to beat you,
No one t' defeat you,
'Cept the thoughts of yourself feeling bad.

I've heard you say many times
That you're better 'n no one
And no one is better 'n you.
If you really believe that,
You know you got
Nothing to win and nothing to lose.
From fixtures and forces and friends,
Your sorrow does stem,
That hype you and type you,
Making you feel
That you must be exactly like them.

I'd forever talk to you,
But soon my words,
They would turn into a meaningless ring.
For deep in my heart
I know there is no help I can bring.
Everything passes,
Everything changes,
Just do what you think you should do.
And someday maybe,
Who knows, baby,
I'll come and be cryin' to you.

Bob Dylan
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 07:18 pm
Ah, hbg, we used to make such fun of Lawrence Welk as did Stan Freeberg.

"helpa; helpa, turn off the bubble machine."

Remember this one, Canada?

Though you belong
To somebody else,
Tonight you belong to me.
Though we're apart,
You're part of my heart,
Tonight you belong to me.
Down by the stream,
How sweet it will seem,
Once more to dream in the moonlight.
Though with the dawn,
I know when you're gone,
Tonight you belong to me

Back in a moment with an answer to edgar's Ramona, folks.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 07:31 pm
"a fun , an' a too , an' a tree "

http://www.internationalpolka.com/images/Welk.jpg

he certainly played the accordion better than i ever did - and he was a pretty fancy polka dancer even as he got older .
always enjoyed his music .
hbg

ps. i should have been a (german speaking) farm boy :wink:
0 Replies