WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 05:20 am
Good morning, WA2K radio audience.

Nice to see Eva waving at me through our sound proof studio glass. hbg, I do believe that is the theme to Gabe Kaplan's series. What an interesting classroom he had, folks, truly a melting pot, right?

Thank you, Dutchy, for your cameo appearance, and to all for the music that keeps us in touch with ourselves. dj, the road trip is so involved that you may not need an inquiring mind, just a vivid imagination.

I realize that I cannot acknowledge everyone individually, but know that our listeners appreciate every one of you.

This morning, I would like to salute Joaquin Phoenix and his portrayal of Johnny Cash in the film, Walk the Line. I was quite surprised to find that the man in black was delighted to know that Joaquin was going to do the film because he said that he really loved him in Gladiator.

So, here is a song from that great movie.

Hey, get rhythm when you get the blues
Yes a jumpy rhythm makes you feel so fine
It'll shake all the trouble from your worried mind
Get rhythm when you get the blues

Little shoeshine boy never gets low down
But he's got the dirtiest job in town
Bendin' low at the peoples' feet
On the windy corner of the dirty street
Well, I asked him while he shined my shoes
How'd he keep from gettin' the blues
He grinned as he raised his little head
Popped a shoeshine rag and then he said

It only costs a dime, just a nickel a shoe
Does a million dollars worth of good for you

Well, I sat down to listen to the shoeshine boy
And I thought I was gonna jump for joy
Slapped on the shoe polish left and right
He took a shoeshine rag and he held it tight
He stopped once to wipe the sweat away
I said you're a mighty little boy to be-a workin' that way
He said I like it with a big wide grin
Kept on a poppin' and he said again

Get a rock 'n' roll feelin' in your bones
Get taps on your toes and get gone
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 05:21 am
Paul Muni
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Meshilem Meier Weisenfreund
Born September 22, 1895(1895-09-22)
Lemberg, Austria-Hungary (now Lviv, Ukraine)
Died August 25, 1967 (aged 71)
Montecito, California, U.S.
Spouse(s) Bella Finkel (1921-1967)
[show]Awards
Academy Awards
Best Actor
1936 The Story of Louis Pasteur
Tony Awards
Best Leading Actor in a Play
1956 Inherit the Wind
Other Awards
NYFCC Award for Best Actor
1937 The Life of Emile Zola

Paul Muni (September 22, 1895 - August 25, 1967) was an Academy Award-winning and Tony Award-winning American stage and film actor.

Early life and career

He was born Meshilem Meier Weisenfreund to a Jewish family in Lemberg, Galicia, a province of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, now Lviv, Ukraine.

His family emigrated to the United States in 1902. Both of Muni's parents were actors with the Yiddish theatre. He made his stage debut at age 12. During his time in Yiddish theater, he was known as Moony Weisenfreund (Moonie is a common Yiddish name). He was quickly recognized by Maurice Schwartz, who signed him up with his Yiddish Art Theater. Edward G. Robinson and Paul Muni were cousins to Charles M Fritz who was a notable actor and manager of The Little Red Theater in Northport, Long Island, during the Great Depression.

A 1925 New York Times article singled out his and Sam Kasten's performances at the People's Theater as among the highlights of that year's Yiddish theater season, describing them as second only to Ludwig Satz.

Broadway and Hollywood

Muni was 29 when he began acting on Broadway in 1924. His first role, that of an elderly Jewish man in the play We Americans, was written by playwright Sam Harris; it was also the first time that he ever acted in English. He was signed by Fox three years later, in 1929, and received an Oscar nomination for his first film The Valiant. However, he was unhappy with the roles and decided to return to Broadway.

In 1932, Paul Muni returned to Hollywood to star in such harrowing pre-Code films as the original Scarface and I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang. He received a second Academy Award for Best Actor nomination for the latter film. Warner Brothers signed a long-term contract with him. He went on to receive a Academy Award nomination for Best Actor for The Life of Emile Zola (1937) and to win the Academy Award for The Story of Louis Pasteur (1936).

In his day, Muni was considered one of the greatest living actors. David Shipman calls him "an actor of great integrity" and he prepared for his roles meticulously.

Muni was widely recognized as a talented if eccentric individual. He would go into a rage whenever anyone wore red, but at the same time he could often be found between sessions relaxing with his violin. Over the years, he also became increasingly dependent on his wife, Bella, who terrified directors by forcing them to redo scenes that did not meet her satisfaction.

After several failed projects, Muni was nominated for a Tony Award in 1955 for the role of Henry Drummond in the play Inherit the Wind.

He retired in 1959, soon after receiving his final Academy Award nomination for The Last Angry Man. Muni died in Montecito, California at the age of 71.

He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6435 Hollywood Blvd.

Cultural references

In the fourth-season M*A*S*H episode "Hawkeye", Hawkeye Pierce describes his childhood in the 1930s and Muni's ubiquitous film appearances thus: "You knew where you stood in those days. Roosevelt was always president, the Yankees were always on top, and Paul Muni played everybody."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 05:23 am
John Houseman

John Houseman (September 22, 1902 - October 31, 1988) was a Romanian-born actor and film producer.

He was born Jacques Haussmann in Bucharest to a French-born Jewish father and an English mother. He was educated in England at Clifton College before emigrating to the United States, where he took the stage name of John Houseman.

Along with Orson Welles, Houseman founded the Mercury Theatre, best remembered for their 1938 radio adaptation of H. G. Wells' The War of the Worlds.

Houseman produced more than two dozen films, including the 1946 film noir, The Blue Dahlia. He first became widely known to the public, however, for his Golden Globe and Academy Award-winning role as Professor Charles Kingsfield in the 1973 film The Paper Chase, a role which he reprised in the television series of the same name.

He was the Executive Producer of CBS's landmark Seven Lively Arts series. Houseman also played Energy Corporation Executive Bartholomew in the 1975 film Rollerball and parodied Sydney Greenstreet in the 1978 Neil Simon film, The Cheap Detective.

In the 1980s, Houseman was also known for his role as grandfather Edward Stratton II in Silver Spoons, which starred Rick Schroder, and for his commercials for brokerage Smith Barney, which featured the catchphrase, "They make money the old fashioned way...they earn it."

He also made a guest appearance in John Carpenter's 1980 movie The Fog as Mr. Machen. He played the Jewish professor Aaron Jastrow in the 1983 miniseries The Winds of War.

Houseman taught acting at The Juilliard School where his first graduating class included future stars Kevin Kline and Patti LuPone. Unwilling to see his first class immediately disbanded by the testing world of stage and screen, he formed them into a touring repertory company appropriately named the Group 1 Acting Company. They later shortened their name simply to The Acting Company and are still touring the country today.

John Houseman died of spinal cancer in 1988 at his home in Malibu, California. He was 86 years old. He had appeared in The Naked Gun, which was released after his death.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 05:26 am
Martha Scott

Born September 22, 1912
Jamesport, Missouri, USA
Died April 05, 2003 (aged 91)
Van Nuys, California, USA

Martha Scott (September 22, 1912 - May 28, 2003) was an American actress.

Born in Jamesport, Missouri, she became interested in acting in high school, but failed to earn a degree from the University of Michigan before pursuing her acting dream. She got her start acting in shortened Shakespeare productions at the Century of Progress world's fair in Chicago, Illinois in 1933 - 1934.

Scott eventually went to New York City, where she was cast as the original Emily in the Broadway production of Our Town.

Her film debut in Our Town in 1940 saw her receiving an Academy Award nomination Best Actress for her luminous and critically acclaimed performance as Emily Webb. Scott's co-star was William Holden in the role of George Gibbs. Unfortunately the censors sanitized the film's last scene after Emily has died (set in a cemetery after Emily's death during childbirth in the stage production), and allowed her to live to make for a happy ending.

She never again achieved such acclaim, although she appeared in such films as The Howards of Virginia, Cheers for Miss Bishop, The Desperate Hours, The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, Airport 1975 and The Turning Point. In both The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur, she played Charlton Heston's mother. She married radio producer and announcer Carlton Alsop in 1940, and jazz pianist and composer Mel Powell in 1946.

In 1968 she joined Henry Fonda and Robert Ryan in forming a theatrical production company called "The Plumstead Playhouse". It later became the Plumstead Theatre Company and moved to Los Angeles, California. The company produced such fare as First Monday in October, both on stage and on film (Walter Matthau and Jill Clayburgh appeared in the film). Scott co-produced both versions.

Her last production was 12 Angry Men, which was performed at the Henry Fonda Theatre in Hollywood, California.

In the 1970s, she played Bob Newhart's mother on his eponymous CBS TV show. She also played Linda Gray's mother on the TV series Dallas and Lee Majors' mother on "The Six Million Dollar Man." She was also a surrogate mother of sorts to Lindsay Wagner on "The Bionic Woman."

Martha Scott has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, next to the Fonda Theatre.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 05:31 am
Debby Boone

Background information

Birth name Deborah Ann Boone
Born September 22, 1956 (1956-09-22) (age 51)
Origin Hackensack, New Jersey, United States
Genre(s) Pop, Country, Christian
Occupation(s) singer, theater actress
Instrument(s) Vocals
Years active 1977-Present
Label(s) Concord Records
Associated
acts Pat Boone
Website Debby Boone Official Website

Debby Boone (born Deborah Ann Boone, on September 22, 1956) is an American singer and theater actress. She is best known for her 1977 hit "You Light Up My Life", which spent 10 weeks at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 and won her a Grammy award the following year for Best New Artist.

In the 80s, her career shifted in different directions, initially starting in Country music, and then switching over into Christian music, where she became quite popular throughout much of the decade. She is also the daughter of 1950s Pop music icon Pat Boone.

Biography

Beginnings

Debby Boone was born September 22, 1956 in Hackensack, New Jersey, the daughter of singer and 1950s icon Pat Boone and Shirley Lee Foley Boone (daughter of country music star Red Foley). When Boone was 14 years old, she began touring with her parents and three sisters - Cherry, Lindy and Laury. The sisters recorded as the Boones. Although they primarily recorded gospel music, they twice reached Billboard's AC charts with "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" (No. 25) and "Hasta Manana" (No. 32) which featured Debby as lead vocalist.

You Light Up My Life

Boone released her first solo effort, You Light Up My Life, in 1977. The song became the biggest hit of the 1970's on the Billboard Hot 100 spending 10 weeks at the No. 1 - longer than any of her father's No. 1 Billboard hits. At the time, only Elvis Presley's double-sided Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog spent more weeks (11) atop Billboard's Hot 100. The song earned her a Grammy award for Best New Artist and an American Music Award for Favorite Pop Single. She also received Grammy nominations for Best Pop Female and Record of the Year. You Light Up My Life also reached No. 1 Adult Contemporary (one week) and No. 4 Country. The single and the album (No. 6 Pop, No. 6 Country) of the same name were both certified platinum. Boone's overnight success led to a tour with her father and frequent television appearances.

The song, written and produced by Joe Brooks, was from the film of the same name. Brooks earned Song of the Year awards at both the 1978 Grammys and Oscars for writing the song. Boone's version, contrary to popular belief, was not used in the movie or featured on its soundtrack. The song was lip-synched in the film by its star, Didi Conn, performing to vocals recorded by Kasey Cisyk. Although written as a love song, Boone admitted it was instead God who "lit up her life."

Boone was unable to maintain her success in Pop music after You Light Up My Life. Her follow-up single, California (also written and produced by Joe Brooks), stumbled peaking at No. 50 Pop and No. 20 AC. California was included on Boone's second album, Midstream, which faltered at No. 147 Pop. Her next single, the double-sided God Knows/Baby I'm Yours, performed even worse peaking at No. 74 Pop becoming her last entry on the Hot 100. However, the single returned Boone to the Country (No. 22) and AC (No. 14) charts. Boone then released another movie theme, When You're Loved, from The Magic of Lassie. Like You Light Up My Life, the song was nominated for an Academy Award for its composers, the Sherman Brothers. But, it failed to replicate the chart success of her first single only reaching No. 48 AC. Boone's wholesome persona was in contrast to the image-conscious Pop music industry leading her in different musical directions.

Country Music

With the crossover success of You Light Up My Life and God Knows/Baby, I'm Yours, Boone began to focus on Country music. (Her father, Pat, and maternal grandfather, Red Foley, had also recorded in that genre.) Her first country single, 1978's In Memory Of Your Love, fizzled at No. 61. But, she then hit No. 11 in 1979 with a remake of Connie Francis' My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own. Boone amassed three more Top 50 country singles that year - two more Connie Francis remakes (the No. 25 Breakin' In A Brand New Broken Heart and the No. 48 Everybody's Somebody's Fool) and a remake of the Happenings' See You In September (No. 41 Country, No. 45 AC). Boone included the Francis remakes, but not See You In September, on her 1979 eponymous album which failed to chart.

Her next album, 1980's Love Has No Reason (No. 17 Country), was produced by Larry Butler who guided much of Kenny Rogers' music during this period. It resulted in the No. 1 Country and No. 31 AC hit, Are You On The Road To Lovin' Me Again. Two weeks before Road ascended to No. 1, Boone was part of a historic Top 5 on the Billboard Country chart. For the week ending April 19, 1980, the Top 5 positions were all held by women:

Crystal Gayle (It's Like We Never Said Goodbye)
Dottie West (A Lesson In Leavin')
Debby Boone (Are You On The Road To Lovin' Me Again)
Emmylou Harris (Beneath Still Waters)
Tammy Wynette (Two Story House with George Jones)
The album generated two more Country singles, the No. 14 Free To Be Lonely Again and the No. 44 Take It Like A Woman. The latter charted simultaneously with her father's Colorado Country Morning (No. 60). Butler also produced Boone's next album, 1981's Savin' It Up (No. 49 Country), which yielded two more country singles, the No. 23 Perfect Fool (also No. 37 AC) and the No. 46 It'll Be Him.

Broadway Bound

Boone wrote her autobiography, Debby Boone So Far, in 1981 and spent a year touring the United States with the stage adaptation of the film Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. The play was a success nationwide before reaching Broadway in July 1982. The Broadway reviews were lackluster, but a scathing review by the New York Times led the show to close after just five performances. The day after the show's closing, several of the the show's stars and theater-goers protested the closing outside the New York Times building hoping for a retraction of its review and the re-opening of the show. But, despite the enthusiastic reception of the show from Broadway theater-goers, the producers believed that the show could not overcome its reviews and the show remained closed.

Boone continued her theater work appearing periodically in stage productions nationwide including lead roles in Camelot, Meet Me In St. Louis, Mississippi Love, South Pacific, The Human Comedy and The King And I. Boone returned twice to the New York stage. Her 1990 performance as Maria in The Sound Of Music at Lincoln Center garnered her a Drama Desk nomination. In 1996, Boone played against her image as Rizzo in the 1990's revival of Grease.

Boone occasionally acted on television as well. Her first foray into television was a 1978 musical adaptation of O'Henry's The Gift Of The Magi co-starring John Rubinstein. Boone headlined two of her own NBC television music specials - The Same Old Brand New Me (1980) and One Step Closer (1982). She stunned many in 1984 by portraying Clarissa Hope, a former call girl turned Christian singer, in the television movie, Sins Of The Past. The film, co-starring Anthony Geary, Barbara Carrera and Kim Cattrall, was a Top 10 Nielsen hit. Boone also made guest appearances on several television shows including Step By Step and Baywatch Nights and was featured in the television films Come On Get Happy: The Partridge Family Story and Treehouse Hostage.

Faith and family

After Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Boone followed her heart and turned her musical career to Christian music winning two GMA Dove Awards and two more Grammys. Boone first recorded in this genre in 1980 with the Grammy winning With My Song ... I Will Praise Him. Subsequent Christian albums included Surrender (1983), Choose Life (1985), Friends For Life (1987) and Be Thou My Vision (1989). In 1989, Boone released her Christmas album, Home For Christmas, which boasted a duet with her mother-in-law, Rosemary Clooney, on Clooney's signature White Christmas.

Boone's career was always secondary as she devoted herself first to raising her four children: son Jordan (b. 1980), twin daughters Gabrielle and Dustin (b. 1983), and daughter Tessa (b. 1986). Boone married her husband, Gabriel Ferrer (son of Jose Ferrer and Rosemary Clooney and cousin of George Clooney), in 1979. The couple collaborated on several children's books. Boone wrote Bedtime Hugs For Little Ones (1988), Tomorrow Is A Brand New Day (1989), Snow Angel (1991), Welcome To This World (1996), Nightlights (1997) and Counting Blessings (1998) which were all illustrated by her husband. Boone and her children appeared frequently on the cover of Good Housekeeping magazine as they grew. Boone also released two children's videos, Debby Boone's Hug-a-Long Songs: Volumes 1 and 2.

Once her children were grown, Boone revived her recording career in 2005 with the release of Reflections Of Rosemary. The CD was a fond tribute to her mother-in-law, Rosemary Clooney, featuring songs performed by Clooney as well as other songs not associated with Clooney which Boone felt showed Clooney as the person she and her family knew and loved. Boone toured extensively for the album including several nights at New York's famed cabaret, Feinstein's, where Clooney often performed.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 05:36 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 05:41 am
Scott Baio

Birth name Scott Vincent James Baio
Born September 22, 1961 (1961-09-22) (age 46)
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Official site Official website

Scott Vincent James Baio (born September 22, 1961 in Brooklyn, New York) is an American actor, who is perhaps best known for his work on the sitcoms Happy Days and Charles in Charge. He is presently starring in his own VH1 reality series titled Scott Baio Is 45...and Single.

Early Life and Career

Scott Baio (pronouned BAY-oh)changed his name from Baiocchi. He was born in Brooklyn to Mario and Rose Baiocchi. His grandparents were immigrants from Italy. He attended Xaverian High School, and later graduated from North Hollywood High School. His other siblings as well as their cousin, Jimmy Baio, also act.

In 1976, he played the title character Bugsy Malone in the cult kiddie gangster musical directed by Alan Parker, which also co-starred Jodie Foster. Baio and Foster later worked together again in the 1980 teen girl drama Foxes helmed by Adrian Lyne.

When he was 16, Scott was then cast as The Fonz's cousin, Chachi Arcola, on Happy Days. During his Happy Days run, Baio earned two Emmy Award nominations for his lead performances in the TV movies Stoned (1981) and All The Kids Do It (1985). He also won two Young Artists Awards during the Third Annual Youth In Film Awards (1980-1981) as Best Young Actor in a Television Special for Stoned and Best Young Comedian in Television or Motion Pictures for Happy Days. He also starred in the made-for-television youth drama specials The Boy Who Drank Too Much with Lance Kerwin and Senior Trip with Mickey Rooney.

In 1982, Baio starred in a spin-off of Happy Days entitled Joanie Loves Chachi with Erin Moran, which lasted one season. His first sexual experience was with Erin Moran -- a claim he made on the first episode of VH1's Scott Baio is 45 ... and Single in the summer of 2007.

That same year, he appeared opposite Willie Aames in the film Zapped!, and recorded an album for RCA. The adolescent fantasy was recently hailed by Entertainment Weekly magazine as one of the Five Essentials within the popular teen sex comedy genre from the 1980s alongside Private School, Class, Private Resort and Fast Times At Ridgemont High. [citation needed]

In 1984, Baio starred as a male nanny on the syndicated comedy series Charles in Charge until 1990.

During the decade of the 1990s, Scott appeared in various television programs, including the short-lived Look Who's Talking small screen spin-off Baby Talk. Between 1992 and 1995, he portrayed Dr. Jack Stewart in the medical mystery series Diagnosis: Murder starring Dick Van Dyke. Baio was a popular guest-star on Full House, Touched By An Angel, Veronica's Closet and The Nanny. He directed a number of TV series and commercials. He also starred in several telefilms and video releases such as Detonator, Bar-Hopping, Dumb Luck, Face Value and Danielle Steel's Mixed Blessings.

Scott Baio's other movies include the independent films Very Mean Men, Face to Face and The Bread, my Sweet.

Very Mean Men (2000) was a gangster comedy directed by Tony Vitale about a mob war between two syndicate families. Scott served as a co-producer with his older brother Steven on said film and even played the crucial role of impetuous crime scion Paulie Minnetti who unwittingly instigates the crime feud. Variety praised his performance: "A career-reviving turn by Scott Baio with hair dyed blonde and sporting a white goatee."

Face To Face (2001-renamed Italian Ties) was a comic drama directed by Ellie Kanner about three young men (Scott Baio as Richie, Thomas Calabro as Philly and Carlo Imperato as Al) who kidnap their emotionally distant fathers for a weekend of genuine male bonding. Baio co-wrote the screenplay with Jeffrey Gurian. The movie won the Audience Prize for Best Comedy at the Marco Island Film Festival, the Silver Screen Accolade in the Reno Film Festival and the 10 Degrees Hotter Best Feature Award during the Valley Film Festival.

The Bread, My Sweet (2001- retitled A Wedding For Bella) a romance film directed by Melissa Martin and produced by Adrienne Wehr about normal Italian-Americans coping with life, death, love, laughter and the fine art of baking in Pittsburgh. Scott Baio portrayed Dominic Pyzola who's both a hard-edged corporate raider in the daytime and a kind-hearted local pastry chef at night. He earned three Best Lead Actor prizes in the Atlantic City Film Festival, the Kansas City Halfway To Hollywood Film Festival and the San Diego Film Festival. The movie itself collected top accolades from the Santa Monica, Stony Brook, Marco Island, Houston Worldfest and Iowa Hardacre Film Festivals.

More recently, Baio also had a recurring role on the Emmy award winning comedy series Arrested Development as the madcap Bluth family's serious but overpaid lawyer, Bob Loblaw. He took over the role of the clan's legal counselor from former Happy Days co-star Henry Winkler in four episodes: "Forget Me Now", "Notapusy", "Mr. F" and "Making A Stand". He made reference to this in his first episode, claiming this was "not the first time I've been called in to replace [Winkler]" and suggesting he appealed to a younger crowd.

In August 2006, Scott Baio was formally invited by the AIA Actors Studio to discuss his professional experiences as a working thespian and director in television and movies. He talked about his own lengthy acting career plus his recent forays into writing, directing and producing.

In July 2007, Scott made his own foray into the genre of reality show programming with the VH1 celebreality series Scott Baio Is 45...and Single. Media Life magazine observed: "While it breaks no new ground for most personality-based reality programs, none of that matters if the show is well-executed and the star is compelling. Here, both are." The New York Daily News gave this verdict: "An entertaining emotional hour built around the Hollywood hunk's quest to find out why he's still single. In the end, the show creates a sympathetic portrait of a star who has avoided the usual pitfalls of celebrity on the road to bachelorhood. And for a celebrity reality show, that's unusual and why this is worth your time."

"Scott Baio Is 45...and Single" averaged 1.3 million total viewers and 1 million adults from 18 to 49 years old, ranking it among the top ten basic cable programs in its 10:30 p.m. time slot. VH1 is currently preparing a second season of the reality series, composed of nine episodes (six half-hour and three hour long installments).

Personal life

Baio was a member of Young Americans for Freedom. He attended the historical ceremonies of the late U.S. President Ronald Reagan's widely-televised state funeral. The New York Daily News June 12, 2004 reported that Baio was seated near Margaret Thatcher and was quoted as saying: "President Reagan made me feel proud to be an American. Today, I feel sadness."

Baio is also famous for dating several actresses, among them, Pamela Anderson, Erika Eleniak, Nicole Eggert, Natalie Raitano, Nicolette Sheridan, Denise Richards, Julie McCullough, and Heather Locklear. In his VH1 reality series Scott Baio Is 45...and Single, he admits to losing his virginity to Erin Moran. In July 2007, he told E!: Entertainment Television's Ted Casablanca that he and wife Renee Sloan are expecting a baby in December. and per People magazine its a girl[1]

On July 24th 2007, Scott appeared on the Howard Stern show on Sirius Satellite Radio and received a standing ovation from the staff. Not only did Howard ask to shake his hand but, in typical Stern fashion also asked if he could smell it. On the show Baio admitted that Playboy quietly banned him from the mansion for a period of time in the late 80's since he had dated each of that year's Playboy Playmates and then some, totaling 24. A spokeswoman from Playboy called Scott and told him that he needed to "slow down" and some of the Playmates he was with were also involved with Hugh Hefner. In the same interview he confessed that Heather Locklear was the greatest lover he has ever had, hands down. He rated some of his lovers on a scale of 1 to 10 - Denise Richards:3, Beverly D'Angelo:10, Liza Minnelli:7, Melissa Gilbert:10.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 05:43 am
How's Business?

Here are some likely responses by various tradesmen.

Said the sailor, "Knot bad."

Said the coffee salesman, "It's a grind."

Said the drummer, "It's hard to beat."

Said the astronomer, "Things are looking up."

Said the dressmaker, "Just sew-sew."

Said the street cleaner, "Things are picking up."

Said the pianist, "Right on key."

Said the botanist, "Everything' s coming up roses."

Said the floor polisher, "Going smoothly."

Said the deep-sea diver, "I'm about to go under."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 05:45 am
YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE

(Debbie Boone)

So many nights I sit by my window
Waiting for someone to sing me his song
So many dreams I kept deep inside me
Alone in the dark but now
You've come along

You light up my life
You give me hope
To carry on
You light up my days
and fill my nights with song

Rollin' at sea, adrift on the water
Could it be finally I'm turning for home?
Finally, a chance to say hey,
I love You
Never again to be all alone

You light up my life
You give me hope
To carry on
You light up my days

You light up my life
You give me hope
To carry on
You light up my days

It can't be wrong
When it feels so right
'Cause You
You light up my life
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 06:42 am
BioBob, once again we learn so much from your celeb background. Thanks, Boston, for the updates. I had no idea that Debbie Boone was Pat's daughter nor that she, Rosemary, and George were even kin. Love that song that you played, and I have thought of it often. Now, instead of referring to myself as clueless, I will think Lettyless. Love it!

Here's one from "The Fourth Tenor", folks, along with Miss Dion.

Bocelli and Dion

"My Prayer"

I pray you'll be our eyes, and watch us where we go,
And help us to be wise, in times when we don't know
Let this be our prayer, when we lose our way
Lead us to a place, guide us with your grace
To a place where we'll be safe...

La luce che tu dai

I pray we'll find your light

Nel cuore resterà

And hold it in our hearts

A ricordarci che

When stars go out each night

L'eterna stella sei

Nella mia preghiera

Let this be our prayer

Quanta fede c'è

When shadows fill our day

Lead us to a place

Guide us with your grace

Give us faith so we'll be safe

Sogniamo un mondo senza più violenza
Un mondo di giustizia e di speranza
Ognuno dai la mano al suo vicino
Simbolo di pace e di fraternità

La forza che ci dai

We ask that life be kind

E' il desiderio che

And watch us from above

Ognuno trovi amor

We hope each soul will find

Intorno e dentro a sé

Another soul to love

Let this be our prayer

Let this be our prayer

Just like every child

Just like every child

Need to find a place, guide us with your grace
Give us faith so we'll be safe

E' la fede che
Hai acceso in noi
Sento che ci salverà
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 09:13 am
Good morning all.

I've been having a problem at A2K with my screen freezing - sometimes when I hit submit, or try to access new posts, and most often when I try to preview something I've typed. I'm not having this problem on other sites.

I'll not "preview". Here's hoping.

Paul Muni, John Houseman and Martha Scott

http://www.hollywoodusa.co.uk/images/paulmuni.jpghttp://www.courttv.com/graphics/onair/shows/hollywood_heat/new/photos/houseman167.jpghttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/f/fb/180px-Martha_Scott.jpg

To be continued.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 09:22 am
Very Happy

Debby Boone, Andrea Bocelli and Scott Baio

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/16/debby.boone/cd.cover.boone.jpghttp://www.nndb.com/people/729/000031636/andreabocelli03.jpghttp://entimg.msn.com/i/150/ce/ScottBaio_150x225.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 09:28 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 09:41 am
The Animals
The Story of Bo Diddley

Now lets hear the story of Bo Diddley
And the Rock n Roll scene in general
Bo Diddley was born Ellis McDaniels
In a place called McCoom, Missississipi about 1926
He moved to Chicago about 1938
Where his name was eventually changed to Bo Diddley
He practiced the guitar everyday and sometimes into the night
Till his papa's hair began to turn white
His Pa said "Son, listen hear, I know
You can stay but that guitar has just gotta go"
So he pulled his hat down over his eyes
Headed out for them Western Skies
I think Bob Dylan said that
He hit New York City
He began to play at the Apollo in Harlem
Good scene there everybody raving
One day, one night, came a Cadillac with four head lights
Came a man with a big, long, fat, cigar said,
"C'mere son, I'm gonna make you a star"
Bo Diddley said, "Uh..whats in it for me?"
Man said, "Shut your mouth son,
play the guitar and you just wait and see"
Well, that boy made it, he made it real big
And so did the rest of the rock n roll scene along with him
And a white guy named Johnny Otis took Bo Diddleys rhythm
He changed it into hand-jive and it went like this
In a little old country town one day
A little old country band began to play
Add two guirtars and a beat up saxophone
When the drummer said, boy, those cats begin to roam
Oh baby oh we oh oh
Ooh la la that rock and roll
Ya hear me oh we oh oh
Ooh la la that rock and roll
Then in the U.S. music scene there was big changes made
Due to circumstances beyond our control such as payola
The rock n roll scene died after two years of solid rock
And you got discs like, ah...
Take good care of my baby
Please don't ever make her blue and so forth
About, ah, one year later in a place called Liverpool in England
Four young lads with mop haircuts began to sing stuff like, ah...
It's been a hard days night and I've been working like a dog and so on
In a place called Richmond in Surrey, whay down in the deep south
They got guys with long hair down their back singing
I wanna be your lover baby I wanna be your man yeah and all that jazz
Now we've doing this number, Bo Diddley, for quite some time now
Bo Diddley visited this country last year
We were playing at the Club A Gogo in Newcastle, our home town
The doors opened one night and to our surprise
W alked in the man himself, Bo Diddley
Along with him was Jerome Green, his maraca man,
And the Duchess, his gorgeous sister
And a we were doing this number
Along with them came the Rolling Stones, the Mersey Beats,
They're all standing around diggin' it
And I overheard Bo Diddley talkin'
He turned around to Jermone Green
And he said, "Hey, Jerome? What do you think these guys
Doin' our..our material?"
Jerome said, "Uh, where's the bar, man? Please show me to the bar..."
He turned around the Duchess
And he said, "Hey Duchess...what do you think of these young guys
Doin' our material?"
She said, "I don't know. I only came across here
To see the changin' of the guards and all that jazz."
Well, Bo Diddley looked up and said to me,
With half closed eyes and a smile,
He said "Man," took off his glasses,
He said, "Man, that sure is the biggest load of rubbish
I ever heard in my life..."
Hey Bo Diddley
Oh Bo Diddley
Yeah Bo Diddley
Oh Bo Diddley
Yeah Bo Diddley
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 10:38 am
Love it, edgar. Thanks for that history in song, Texas.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/05/17/bodiddley_narrowweb__300x425,0.jpg

Incidentally, folks, Jerry Lee Lewis was featured in Walk the Line and it was said that when the group jammed, Elvis left the building. <smile> Actually, rumor has it that he didn't want to follow Jerry Lee.

Great Balls Of Fire"

You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain

Too much love drives a man insane You broke my will, but what a thrill

Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire

I laughed at love 'cause I thought it was funny

You came along and moved me honey

I've changed my mind, your love is fine

Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire

Kiss me baby, woo feels good

Hold me baby, wellllll I want to love you like a lover should

Your fine, so kind

I want to tell the world that your mine mine mine mine

I chew my nails and I twiddle my thumbs

I'm real nervous, but it sure is fun

Come on baby, drive my crazy

Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!!

During my Virginia reunion, I chatted with a young man who decided that rap was a monologue with rhythm.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 03:32 pm
a more concise history lesson of sorts from Neil Young: (incidentally, i was under the misconception that Johnny Otis is a light-skinned black man. Embarrassed )

My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out
Than to fade away
My my, hey hey.

Out of the blue
and into the black
They give you this,
but you pay for that
And once you're gone,
you can never come back
When you're out of the blue
and into the black.

The king is gone
but he's not forgotten
This is the story
of a Johnny Rotten
It's better to burn out
than it is to rust
The king is gone
but he's not forgotten.

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 04:08 pm
Hey, hey; my, my. There's our island man who fell from the sky.

This Johnny Otis, M.D.?

http://www.magnoliaeditions.com/Content/Otis/F00001.JPG

This song, honu? Razz

Every Beat of My Heart

Through these misty eyes I see lonely skies
Lonely road to Babylon
Where's my family
And my country
Heaven knows where I belong

Pack my bags tonight
Here's one Jacobite
Who must leave or surely die
Put me on a train
In the pouring rain say farewell
But don't say goodbye

Seagull carry me, over land and sea
To my own folk, that's where I want to be
Every beat of my heart
Tears me further apart
I'm lost and alone in the dark
I'm going home

One more glass of wine
Just for auld lang syne
And the girl I left behind
How I miss her now in my darkest hour
And the way our arms entwine

Every beat of my heart
Tears me further apart
I'm going home

And we'll drink a toast
To the blood red rose
Cheer a while the
Emerald Isle
And to the northern lights
And the swirling pipes
How they make a grown man cry

Every beat of my heart
Tears me further apart
I'm going home
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 07:24 pm
hey , you cats , how 'bout some scatting ?

http://www.davidboyk.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/stormy2.jpg

how do you like my new suit :wink: Question

Quote:
Keep that Hi-De-Hi in Your Soul

(Calloway, Mills, White)

Transcribed from Cab Calloway and His Orchestra, recorded January 21, 1935.
From Cab Calloway and His Orchestra 1934-1937; The Chronogical Classics 554.

[Scatting]
Hi-de-hi-de-hi!
Ho-de-ho-de-ho!
[Scatting]
Keep that hi-de-hi in your soul!
Rhythm can't be beat,
Rhythm in your feet,
[Scatting]
Let the good times roll,
[Scatting]
Hi-de-hi-de-hi!
Ho-de-ho-de-ho!
[Scatting]
Keep that hi-de-hi, that ho-de-ho deep down in my soul!

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 07:49 pm
Thanks, hbg. I was thinking about Cab tonight for some reason.

The man died in l994. He certainly didn't rust out, right?

Perhaps, folks, it's because he and I have something in common....

I love to sing-a
About a moon-a and a June-a and a spring-a,
I love to sing-a,
About a sky of blue-a, and a tea for two-a,
Anything-a with a swing-a, or a "I love you-a,"
I love, I love to sing!

Give me a song-a
About a son-a gun that went and done her wrong-a.
But keep it clean-a,
By a cottage small-a with a waterfall-a,
Any sob-a that will throb-a to a bluebird's call-a,
I love, I love to sing!

I was born a singin' fool-a,
Lah-de-dah!
Ol' Major Bowes is gonna spot me,
Got through Yale with boula-boula,
Lah-de-dah!
Old microphone's got me!

I love to sing-a,
I love to wake up with the south-a in my mouth-a,
And wave a flag-a,
With a cheer for Uncle Sammy and another for my mammy,
I love to sing!

The swingin'est,
Hot singin'est,
Bell-ringin'est,
Song singin'est
High tootin'est,
Sky tootin'est,
I love to sing!

and that shall be my goodnight song. Perhaps tomorrow the man from the island will verify Johnny Otis. Razz

as always,

From Letty with love
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 07:54 pm
Somehow I tuned into the heavy metal frequency....
BTW, Mrs. urs53 was at The Police concert in the Munich Olympia Stadium tonite, she told me it was awesome! I had to work, so the envy is there, but only a little!

Cheerio, Miss Letty!
0 Replies