bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:18 am
Buddy Hackett
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born August 31, 1924
Brooklyn, New York
Died June 30, 2003
Malibu, California

Buddy Hackett (August 31, 1924 - June 30, 2003) was an American comedian and actor. [1]

Born Leonard Hacker in Brooklyn, New York of Jewish heritage, he attended Public School 103 and then went on to New Utrecht High School. While still in high school, he began appearing in nightclubs, beginning with the "Borscht Belt" resorts in the Catskills. He served three years with an anti-aircraft unit during World War II.

Hackett's first job after the war was at the Pink Elephant, a Brooklyn club. He made appearances in Los Angeles and Las Vegas and continued in the Catskills. He acted on Broadway in Lunatics and Lovers, where Max Liebman saw him and put him in two television specials. A television series, Stanley, was developed for him, which helped start Carol Burnett's career. He became known to a wider audience when he appeared on television in the 1950s and 1960s as a frequent guest on such talk shows as Jack Paar and Arthur Godfrey, telling brash, often off-color jokes, and mugging widely at the camera. During this era, he also appeared as a panelist on What's My Line?.

Hackett became widely known from his role in the 1963 box-office success It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. After starring on Broadway in I Had a Ball, Hackett appeared opposite Robert Preston in the 1962 film adaptation of The Music Man. Children became familiar with him as lovable auto mechanic/hippie Tennessee Steinmetz in Disney's The Love Bug (1968). He appeared as Art Carney's replacement on The Jackie Gleason Show, and in the 1958 film God's Little Acre. His later career was mostly as a guest on variety shows and prime time sitcoms such as Boy Meets World in its 4th season.

In 1978, Hackett surprised many with his dramatic performance as Lou Costello in the television movie Bud And Lou opposite Harvey Korman as Bud Abbott. The film told the story of Abbott and Costello and Hackett's portrayal was widely praised. He and Korman did a memorable rendition of the team's famous "Who's On First?" routine.

Hackett starred in the 1980 film Hey Babe! with a twelve-year-old Yasmine Bleeth in her first screen appearance.

His last film performance was reprising the voice of Scuttle, the goofy little seagull, in Disney's The Little Mermaid (1989) for the direct-to-video sequel The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea in 2000. Buddy Hackett also appeared in the short term comedy series Action which starred Jay Mohr as movie producer Peter Dragon. He played Dragon's uncle Lonnie. He appeared again with Mohr as a judge in the reality show Last Comic Standing.

For his contribution to the motion picture industry, Buddy Hackett was given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

In April 1998, Hackett guest starred in an episode of LateLine called "Buddy Hackett." The episode focuses on a news broadcast paying tribute to Hackett following his death, only to discover that the report of his death was a mistake. Robert Reich and Dick Gephardt also appeared in the episode, paying tribute to Hackett. [1]

Death
He died on June 30, 2003. [1]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:20 am
James Coburn

Birth name James Harrison Coburn
Born August 31, 1928(1928-08-31)
Laurel, Nebraska USA
Died November 18, 2002 (aged 74)
Beverly Hills, California USA
Years active 1958 - 2002
[show]Awards
Academy Awards
Best Supporting Actor
1997 Affliction

James Harrison Coburn[1] (August 31, 1928 - November 18, 2002) was an Academy Award-winning American actor.

Biography

Early life

Coburn was born in Laurel, Nebraska to James Harrison Coburn, Sr., a garage mechanic, and Mylet S. Johnson; his maternal grandparents were immigrants from Sweden.[1] Coburn grew up in Compton, California and acted in college, eventually making his stage debut at the La Jolla Playhouse.[2]

Career

He became famous as the "tough guy" in a variety of films, first mostly with his friends Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn and Charles Bronson (with whom he co-starred in The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape). In 1966, Coburn finally became a bona-fide star with the release of Our Man Flint, a James Bond spoof released by 20th Century Fox as competition. After a sequel, he decided to branch off into the independent film world. Due to his interests in karate (which he discovered by training with Bruce Lee), Buddhism, and gong-playing, the remainder of the decade (which included less-than-memorable films) proved uneventful to him.

In 1973, however, Coburn teamed up with radical director Sam Peckinpah for the film Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (they had first worked together in 1965 on Major Dundee). But an MGM producer tried to sabotage the production causing the film to be drastically edited when it opened. Both Peckinpah and Coburn were disappointed and delved into Cross of Iron, a war epic which also flopped. The two remained good friends until the legendary director's death in 1984 of a stroke.

Due to severe rheumatoid arthritis, he appeared in very few films during the 1980s and spent time writing songs with his partner at that time, British singer-songwriter Lynsey De Paul. He claimed to have healed himself with pills containing a sulfur-containing compound, and returned to screen in the 1990s. He then appeared in films such as Young Guns II (1990), Sister Act 2 (1993), Maverick (1994), The Nutty Professor (1996), and Payback (1999), mostly in small but memorable roles. For his appearance as the abusive father of protagonist Nick Nolte in Affliction he received an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1998.

Death

He died suddenly on November 18, 2002 at the age of 74, from a cardiac arrest, while listening to the radio. He was survived by his wife Paula Murad, a son, and a stepdaughter. Paula Murad would later die of cancer on July 30, 2004, at the age of 49.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:28 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:31 am
Richard Gere

Birth name Richard Tiffany Gere
Born August 31, 1949 (1949-08-31) (age 58)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Years active 1973 - present
Spouse(s) Cindy Crawford (1991-1995)
Carey Lowell (2002-)
Children Homer James Jigme Gere (b.2000)
[show]Awards
Golden Globe Awards
Best Actor - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
2003 Chicago
Screen Actors Guild Awards
Best Cast - Motion Picture
2002 Chicago

Richard Tiffany Gere[1] (born August 31, 1949) is an American actor. He first became famous during the 1980s, after appearing in several successful Hollywood films, including An Officer and a Gentleman, and has since retained his status as a leading man. During the 1990s and 2000s, he starred in several well-received films, Pretty Woman, Primal Fear, and Chicago for which he won a Golden Globe award as Best Actor.

Biography

Early life

Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Gere is a descendant of Mayflower Pilgrims Francis Eaton, John Billington, George Soule, Richard Warren, Degory Priest, William Brewster and Francis Cooke.[1] Gere's father, Homer George Gere, was an insurance agent for the Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. His mother, Doris Anna Tiffany, was a homemaker. He has three sisters, and a brother. In 1967, Gere graduated from North Syracuse Central High School, where he excelled at gymnastics and music, playing the trumpet. He attended the University of Massachusetts Amherst, on a gymnastics scholarship, majoring in Philosophy, but did not graduate, leaving after two years to pursue acting.[2]

Career

Gere's first major acting role was in the original London stage version of Grease in 1973. He began appearing in Hollywood films in the mid 1970s, co-starring in the thriller Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), and playing the leading role in director Terrence Malick's well-reviewed 1978 film, Days of Heaven. His acting career took off in 1980, with the successful film American Gigolo, followed by the popular romantic drama An Officer and a Gentleman, which had grossed over $100 million in 1982. Subsequently, he was the first man ever to appear on the cover of Vogue magazine. In 1980 Gere appeared in the Broadway production of Bent.

In Mr. Jones, Gere accurately portrayed a high-functioning, creative, and intellectual man with bipolar disorder. The movie was not a commercial success, but was well-received by the mental health community. It is frequently utilized as a training tool to acquaint students and families with the disorder.

Gere's career in the 1980s alternated between box office successes and failures. After the release of both Internal Affairs and the huge hit Pretty Woman in 1990, Gere's status as a leading man was again solidified, and he continued starring in solidly performing films throughout the 1990s, including Sommersby (1993), Primal Fear (1996), and Runaway Bride (1999), which paired Gere with his Pretty Woman co-star, Julia Roberts. People magazine named him the "Sexiest Man Alive" in 1999.

In 2002, he appeared in three major releases: the horror thriller The Mothman Prophecies, the drama Unfaithful, and the Academy Award-winning film version of Chicago, for which he won a Golden Globe as "Best Actor - Comedy or Musical". Gere's 2004 ballroom dancing drama, Shall We Dance, was also a solid performer, although his next film, Bee Season, largely failed to find an audience amid the Oscar-contenders of November 2005.

Gere was Harvard University's Hasty Pudding Theatricals' "Man of the Year" for 2006. In July 2006, Gere was cast opposite Jesse Eisenberg and Terrence Howard in Spring Break in Bosnia, a comic thriller in which he will play a journalist in Bosnia; the film will be released in 2007.[3]

Personal life

Gere was married to supermodel Cindy Crawford from 1991 to 1995. In 2002, he married actress Carey Lowell. They have a son, Homer James Jigme Gere, who was born in 2000, and is named after Gere's father. They live in Pound Ridge, New York.[citation needed]

Activism

Gere's interest in Buddhism began when he travelled to Nepal in 1978 with the Brazilian painter, Sylvia Martins.[2] He is a practicing Buddhist and an active supporter of the Dalai Lama. He is also a persistent advocate for human rights in Tibet; he is a co-founder of the Tibet House, creator of The Gere Foundation, and he is Chairman of the Board of Directors for the International Campaign for Tibet. Because he strongly supports the Tibetan Independence Movement, he is permanently banned from entering The People's Republic of China. Gere was banned as an Academy Award presenter in 1993 after he used the opportunity to condemn the Chinese government.[4]

Gere also campaigns for ecological causes and AIDS awareness. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for Healing the Divide, an organization that supports global initiatives to promote peace, justice and understanding,[5] and he also actively supports Survival International, an organization dedicated to protecting the rights and lands of tribal peoples throughout the world.[2] He helped to establish the AIDS Care Home, a residential facility in India for women and children with AIDS, and also supports campaigns for AIDS awareness and education that country. In 1999 he created the Gere Foundation India Trust to support a variety of humanitarian programs in India.[6
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:33 am
Subject: THE INDIAN WITH ONE TESTICLE

There once was an Indian who had only one testicle, and whose given name
was 'Onestone'.

He hated that name and asked everyone not to call him Onestone.

After years and years of torment, Onestone finally cracked and said, "If
anyone calls me Onestone again I will kill them!"

The word got around and nobody called him that any more.

Then one day a young woman named Blue Bird forgot and said, "Good morning,
Onestone."

He jumped up, grabbed her and took her deep into the forest where he made
love to her all day and all night. He made love to her all the next day,
until Blue Bird died from exhaustion.

The word got around that Onestone meant what he promised he would do.

Years went by and no one dared call him by his given name
until a woman named Yellow Bird returned to the village after being away.

Yellow Bird, who was Blue Bird's cousin, was overjoyed when she saw
Onestone.

She hugged him and said, "Good to see you, Onestone."
Onestone grabbed her, took her deep into the forest, then he made love to
her all day, made love to her all night, made love to her all the next day,
made love to her all the next night, but Yellow Bird wouldn't die!

What is the moral of this
story?????...........................

OH, Come on...take a guess! Think about it...

(You're going to love this!)

And the moral is...

You can't kill two birds with one stone!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:54 am
Good morning, hawkman. Thanks for all the great bio's today, Boston, and, of course, we heard the collective groan from our listeners about "two birds with one stone".

A couple of things for our audience today. One, I just found out that copywrights for old songs have been extended way beyond what they should be. That is one of the reasons that we cannot locate certain oldies in our archives. The other has to do with the message, "we're sorry, but the artists has decided not to show the lyrics." (parapharased) I think it may have something to do with the economy, but since I am no John Forbes Nash, I may not be the one to question that approach.

Ah, I loved the movie in which Val Kilmer did Jim Morrison. If I'm not mistaken, folks, his first movie was Real Genius. No wonder I like that man.

Anyway, here is a song that caused quite a stir back then. (and to think eminem is stll the top rap star. Rolling Eyes )

this version is by Jose Feliciano

You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar
If I was to say to you
Girl, we couldn't get much higher

Come on baby, light my fire
Try to set the night on fire

The time to hesitate is through
No time to wallow in the mire
Try now we can only lose
And our love become a funeral pyre

Try to set the night on fire, yeah

The time to hesitate is through
No time to wallow in the mire
Try now we can only lose
And our love become a funeral pyre

Try to set the night on fire, yeah

You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar
If I was to say to you
Girl, we couldn't get much higher

Our pup will roll in shortly with a montage of photo's in her mouth. Glad that she's been trained not to chew up the pictures.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 10:58 am
with labour day coming up (and a former card-carrying member of the german labour union ( Exclamation Laughing ) for eight years) , i'll present to you :

AUTUMN SONG

Quote:
"The original celebration of Labor Day was May 1st, commemorating those workers killed in Chicago's Haymarket demonstrations for the 8-hour day on May 1, 1886. Most countries around the world still celebrate Labor Day on May 1."

In school we learn the well-known names
The ones whose money was their fame
Who ran the railroads, bought the West
Today we mention all the rest
Who blazed the trail that brought us here
Whose family names we'll never hear
Who laid the track and dug the coal
The brain and muscle, heart and soul.

Chorus:
Labor Day, Labor Day
September or the first of May
To all who work this world we say
Happy Labor Day.

The ones who work behind the plow
The ones who stand and will not bow
The ones who care for home and child
The ones who labor meek and mild
The ones who work a thousand ways
That we might celebrate this day
The ones who raise our cities tall
For those who labor, one and all

Chorus

In history books I often find
That children worked in mill and mine
No time to play, to learn, or grow
Just send 'em in or down below
Today too many have forgot
The goals for which our parents fought
When I grow up I hope to be
As strong as those who fought for me.

Chorus

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 11:51 am
hee, hee. Love it hbg. Now we are even. I played that song yesterday when I thought it was Friday and we get to hear it again. Thanks, buddy.

I am certain that everyone here remembers Julia Roberts and Richard Gere in the movie, Pretty Woman, so rather than play Razzle-Dazzle from Chicago, here's Roy Orbison.

Pretty woman, walking down the street
Pretty woman, the kind I like to meet
Pretty woman
I don't believe you, you're not the truth
No one could look as good as you
Mercy

Pretty woman, won't you pardon me
Pretty woman, I couldn't help see
Pretty woman
That you look lovely as can be
Are you lonely just like me
Wow

Pretty woman, stop a while
Pretty woman, talk a while
Pretty woman, gave your smile to me
Pretty woman, yeah yeah yeah
Pretty woman, look my way
Pretty woman, say you'll stay with me
'Cause I need you, I'll trear you right
Come with me baby, be mine tonight

Pretty woman, don't walk on by
Pretty woman, make me cry
Pretty woman, don't walk away, hey...okay
If that's the way it must be, okay
I guess I'll go on home, it's late
There'll be tomorrow nigh, but wait
What do I see
Is she walking back to me
Yeah, she's walking back to me
Oh, oh, Pretty woman
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 02:53 pm
Of course, this pup has been trained not to chew paper, Letty. As you can see, Dalmatian pups have great respect for photographs:

http://www.coolstamps.com/101s6sml.jpg

And deem it an honor to be permitted to add to the WA2K Gallery: Very Happy

Fredric March, Arthur Godfrey, Buddy Hackett, James Coburn, Van Morrison and Richard Gere.

http://eric.b.olsen.tripod.com/images/march.jpghttp://freemasonry.bcy.ca/biography/images/godfrey_a.jpghttp://entimg.msn.com/i/150/Movies/Actors2/Cronyn_Phot66727128_150x200.jpg
http://www.films42.com/tribute/Coburn_01.jpghttp://sportsevents.net/events/images/van_morrison.jpg
http://www.nndb.com/people/816/000022750/rgere.jpg

P.S.: I didn't groan, Bob. I thought your One Stone story was quite suspenseful. I was hanging by a thread right up until the end.

And, Letty, I was intrigued by the copywright explanation, but am now wondering why it doesn't apply to all songs within the same time frame.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 03:54 pm
Raggedy, you are one fantastic photographer, gal. Love your collage as usual, and since you have named your celebs, there is no need to hang them by a thread. Razz

Well, puppy, I don't know why all our songs don't fit in that description. I simply have had a lot of trouble locating and capturing the lyrics and I ran across that information from someone who was the manager of a site called Melody Lane.

That is a picture of Van Morrison? Unbelievable, PA. He doesn't look one thing like Val.

Now I recall Inherit the Wind. Frederick March was Williams Jennings Bryan, and it had to do with the Scopes monkey trial.

James Coburn was truly hilarious in the spoof of James Bond movies. Great actor, too.

Well, folks, here's the only song that I could locate by Arthur, so let's listen.

(chorus 1)
Oh, i don't want her, you can have her,
She's too fat for me.
She's too fat for me,
She's too fat for me.
I don't want her, you can have her,
Please do that for me.
She's too fat, she's too fat,
She's too fat for me.

I get dizzy, i get numbo
When i'm dancing
With my jum-jum-jumbo.

(chorus 2)
She's too fat for me.
She's too fat for me,
She's too fat for me.
She's too fat for me,
She's too fat,
She's too fat,
She's too fat for me. oh,

(repeat chorus 1, then)

She's a twosome, she's a foursome
If she'd lose some,
I would like her more some.

(repeat chorus 1)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 05:35 pm
Daniel
Elton John

[Written by Bernie Taupin]

Daniel is travelling tonight on a plane
I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
Oh and, I can see Daniel waving goodbye
God it looks like Daniel
Must be the clouds in my eyes

They say Spain is pretty though I've never been
Daniel says it's the best place that he's ever seen
Oh and, he should know, he's been there enough
Lord I miss Daniel
Oh I miss him so much

Oh, Daniel my brother you are older than me
Do you still feel the pain, of the scars that won't heal
Your eyes have died, but you see more than I
Daniel you're a star in the face of the sky

---- Instrumental Interlude ----

Oh, Daniel my brother you are older than me
Do you still feel the pain, of the scars that won't heal
Your eyes have died, but you see more than I
Daniel you're a star in the face of the sky

Daniel is travelling tonight on a plane
I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
Oh and, I can see Daniel waving goodbye
God it looks like Daniel
Oh, God it looks like Daniel
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 05:50 pm
edgar, that is one of my favorites by Elton John. I never quite understood what it meant, but I like the musical background, Texas.

I think someone quite a while back decided it was about a Vietnam vet, but I can't be certain of that. Here's a follow up by Sir Elton, and let's dedicate it to all those who have someone.

Music by Elton John
Lyrics by Bernie Taupin

It's a little bit funny this feeling inside
I'm not one of those who can easily hide
I don't have much money but boy if I did
I'd buy a big house where we both could live

If I was a sculptor, but then again, no
Or a man who makes potions in a travelling show
I know it's not much but it's the best I can do
My gift is my song and this one's for you

And you can tell everybody this is your song
It may be quite simple but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind that I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world

I sat on the roof and kicked off the moss
Well a few of the verses well they've got me quite cross
But the sun's been quite kind while I wrote this song
It's for people like you that keep it turned on

So excuse me forgetting but these things I do
You see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue
Anyway the thing is what I really mean
Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:03 pm
sorry i've been away from WA2K; been workin' on my chess games among other things. labor day weekend & all, here's a work song by Oscar Brown, Jr. & Nat Adderley

Breaking rocks out here on the chain gang
Breaking rocks and serving my time
Breaking rocks out here on the chain gang
Because they done convicted me of crime
Hold it steady right there while I hit it
Well reckon that ought to get it
Been working and working
But I still got so terribly far to go

I commited crime lord I needed
Crime of being hungry and poor
I left the grocery store man bleeding (breathing? )
When they caught me robbing his store
Hold it steady right there while I hit it
Been working and working

I heard the judge say five years
On chain-gang you gonna go
I heard the judge say five years labor
I heard my old man scream "lordy, no!"
Hold it right there while I hit it
Been working and working

Gonna see my sweet honey bee
Gonna break this chain off to run
Gonna lay down somewhere shady
Lord I sure am hot in the sun
Hold it right there while I hit it
Been workin' and workin'
Been workin' and slavin'
An' workin' and workin'
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:08 pm
letty :
sorry i missed your labour day song - tsk , tsk :wink:
i hope i'm not late with billy joel's weekend song Question
has every one else here started the weekend already ?
hbg

http://brooklynskeptic.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/billy-joel.jpg

Quote:
BILLY JOEL - THE WEEKEND SONG
------------------------------------------

This back-breakin', bone-shakin', belly-achin', hard-workin'
Two more hours to go
Yes, it's keeping me alive doin' nine to five
And I ain't got nothin to show
Pretty soon I'll be leavin'
With the wages I'm receivin'
But I know it's gonna be all right
Come on, babe, and take me away
We got some money to spend tonight

Pick me up at the station
Meet me at the train
Have a meal and a shower and a change of clothes
I can't afford a vacation
But I can take the strain
Long as I can be with you
Find a way to burn it as quickly as I earn it

Yes, it's back-breakin', bone-shakin', belly-achin', hard-workin'
Two more hours to go
Seven long years for the same corporation
And I ain't got nothin' to show
And tonight when I'm leavin' I'll be just breakin' even
I shake off my blues when you put on your shoes

Oh, I don't wanna stand here and sound accusin'
Everybody does their share of losin'
If I'm gonna lose it I might as well be doin' it right

Pick me up at the station
Meet me at the train
Have a meal and a shower and a change of clothes
I can't afford a vacation
But I can take the strain
Long as I can be with you
Find a way to burn it as quickly as I earn it

Yes, it's back-breakin', bone-shakin', belly-achin', hard-workin'
Two more hours to go
Yes, it's keepin' me alive doin' nine to five
And I ain't got nothin' to show
And tonight when I'm leavin' I'll be just breakin' even
Come on, babe, and take me away
Come on, babe, take me away
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:39 pm
Welcome back, MD. Love Nat and Cannonball, island man, and your song is a grim reminder of chain gangs, buddy. Use to sit all by myself and listen to this one for hours. (I thought about BIRD parker but changed my mind) Razz

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy

[Inspired by Marlene Shaw's 1967 vocal version of Cannonball Adderly's big 1966 soul jazz instrumental hit]

My baby, she may not look
Like one of those bunnies out of the Playboy book
Well, I'm sorry bout that, Mr. Williams
But she's got something,
Johnny, much greater than gold
Well, now what's that?
I'm crazy 'bout that girl,
She's got so much soul

She's got the kind of loving, kissin' and a-huggin'
Sure is mellow, glad that I'm her fellow
And I know that she knocks me off my feet
Have mercy on me!
'Cause she knocks me off my feet
Can you dig it?

There is no girl in the whole world
That can love me like you do - ow!
Tell 'em bout it, Watson

My baby now, when she walks by
All the fellows go '~~~', and I know why
Have mercy, just look at her walk
It's simply because that girl, she walks so fine
And if she ever leave me, I will lose my mind

Because she's got the kind of lovin',
Kissin' and a-huggin'
Have mercy on me!
I'd better tell 'em one more thing

That can love me like you do
Ow, tell 'em bout it, Mr. Williams

Now everybody in my neighborhood
An' that's what's grooving me
Will testify that my girl, she looks so good
Well, let me tell you something else right here
She looks so fine, she give eyesight to the blind
Help 'em to make 'em see
And if she ever leave me, I will lose my mind

Because she's got the kind of lovin',
Kissin' and a-huggin'
Have mercy on me!
Can you dig it?

That can love me like you do
Mercy, mercy, mercy!

Hey, hbg. Monday, all our banks are closed, and since the July4th fireworks were canceled, we are supposed to have them on Labor Day.

Back with a Billy Joel of my own.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:41 pm
Now this one is for the hamburgers.

Don't go changing, to try and please me
You never let me down before
Don't imagine you're too familiar
And I don't see you anymore
I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times, I'll take the bad times
I'll take you just the way you are

Don't go trying some new fashion
Don't change the color of your hair
You always have my unspoken passion
Although I might not seem to care

I don't want clever conversation
I never want to work that hard
I just want someone that I can talk to
I want you just the way you are.

I need to know that you will always be
The same old someone that I knew
What will it take till you believe in me
The way that I believe in you.

I said I love you and that's forever
And this I promise from the heart
I could not love you any better
I love you just the way you are.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:47 pm
and, folks, for my goodnight song, I just found out that The Chordettes were associated with Aruthur Godfrey, and although it's not nearly as lovely as The Japanese Sandman, it will have to do as Letty be tired.

MR. SANDMAN

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream bung, bung, bung, bung
Make him the cutest that I've ever seen bung, bung, bung, bung
Give him two lips like roses and clover bung, bung, bung, bung
Then tell him that his lonesome nights are over.
Sandman, I'm so alone
Don't have nobody to call my own
Please turn on your magic beam
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream.

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream
Make him the cutest that I've ever seen
Give him the word that I'm not a rover
Then tell him that his lonesome nights are over.
Sandman, I'm so alone
Don't have nobody to call my own
Please turn on your magic beam
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream.

Mr. Sandman "Yesss?", bring us a dream
Give him a pair of eyes with a come-hither gleam
Give him a lonely heart like Pagliacci
And lots of wavy hair like Liberace

Mr Sandman, someone to hold someone to hold
Would be so peachy before we're too old
So please turn on your magic beam
Mr Sandman, bring us, please, please, please
Mr Sandman, bring us a dream.

Goodnight all
From Letty with love
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:18 pm
Letty wrote:
Welcome back, MD. Love Nat and Cannonball, island man, and your song is a grim reminder of chain gangs, buddy. Use to sit all by myself and listen to this one for hours. (I thought about BIRD parker but changed my mind) Razz

did you know Julian (Cannonball) & Nat did an instrumental version of this one? they called it Fiddler on the Roof instead of...

Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
Tradition, tradition! Tradition!

Who, day and night, must scramble for a living,
Feed a wife and children, say his daily prayers?
And who has the right, as master of the house,
To have the final word at home?

The Papa, the Papa! Tradition.
The Papa, the Papa! Tradition.

Who must know the way to make a proper home,
A quiet home, a kosher home?
Who must raise the family and run the home,
So Papa's free to read the holy books?

The Mama, the Mama! Tradition!
The Mama, the Mama! Tradition!

At three, I started Hebrew school. At ten, I learned a trade.
I hear they've picked a bride for me. I hope she's pretty.

The son, the son! Tradition!
The son, the son! Tradition!

And who does Mama teach to mend and tend and fix,
Preparing me to marry whoever Papa picks?

The daughter, the daughter! Tradition!
The daughter, the daughter! Tradition
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:37 pm
Quote: Letty: That is a picture of Van Morrison? Unbelievable, PA. He doesn't look one thing like Val.

Letty, would you have been thinking of Jim Morrison of The Doors?

http://www.facade.com/celebrity/photo/Jim_Morrison.jpg

I believe Val Kilmer played Jim Morrison. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:54 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

M.D., I did not know that Nat and Julian did that, but I most assuredly understand about tradition( unfortunately) Thanks for the reminder, honey. (speaking of honey, that's all I had to sweeten my coffee this a.m.)

Well, edgar knows that I got the "Charlie's" confused, and now Raggedy has unconfused me with the Morrison's. Thanks, PA.

Redemption time, folks, on this very first day of September.

Golden Autumn Day
VAN Morrison

Well I heard the bells ringing, I was thinking about winning
In this God forsaken place
When my confidence was well, then I tripped and I felt
Right flat on my face
Now I'm standing erect, and I feel like coming back
And the sun is shining gold
Put a smile on my face, get back in the human race
And get on with the show

And I'm taking in the Indian Summer
And I'm soaking it up in my mind
And I'm pretending that it's paradise
On a golden autumn day, on a golden autumn day
On a golden autumn day, an a golden autumn day

In the wee midnight hour I was parking my car
In this dimly lit town,
I was attacked by two thugs, who took me for a mug
And shoved me down on the ground
And they pulled out a knife, and I fought my way up
As they scarpered from the scene
Well this is no New York street, and there's no Bobby on the beat
And things ain't just what they seem

And I'm pretending that it's paradise
On a golden autumn day, an a golden autumn day

Who would think this could happen in a city like this
Among Blake's green and pleasant hills,
And we must remember as we go through September
Among these dark satanic mills
If there's such a thing as justice I could take them out and flog them
In the nearest green field
And it might be a lesson to the bleeders of the system
In this whole society

And I'm pretending like it's paradise
On a golden autumn day, on a golden autumn day, golden autumn day ...
0 Replies