He's the man (Who's the man)
He's the man who never returned.
He's the man (Oh, the man)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:40 am
I figured that, edgar. The legend and tall tales of Dylan are everywhere.

Wow!, Victor. That's one eerie song and political as well.

Here's a great river song, folks, and we dedicate this to djjd. Razz

The River of No Return
Words & Music by Ken Darby & Lionel Newman

Tennessee Ernie Ford

D Dsus4 D7 G Em7 D
There is a river called the river of no return;

D F#m7 Bm Bm7 G Em7 G/B A7
Sometimes it's peaceful, and sometimes wild and free!

D Dsus4 D7 G Em7 D
Love is a trav'ler on the river of no return,

D F#m7 Bm Bm7 A7 Em7 A7 D
Swept on forever to be lost in a stor - my sea.

Bridge:

A7 D F#m Em7 A7 D
Wail-a-ree I can hear the river call (no return, no return)

A7 G Em7 D
Where the roarin' waters fall,

A7 D F#m Bm7 Bm7/E E7 A7
Wail-a-ree I can hear my lover call, "Come to me"

A7 G A7 D Dsus4 D7 G Em7 D
I lost my love on the river, and forever my heart will yearn;

D F#m7 Bm Bm7 Em7 G/B A7 D
Gone, gone forever down the river of no re - turn.

A7 D DM7 Bm Bm7 Bm7/E
Wail-a-ree wail-a-ree

G G/F# Em7 A7 D D D6 D D D6 D D D6 D
You'll never re - turn to me! (no return, no return, no return)

The lyric and guitar chord transcriptions on this site are the work of The Guitarguy and are intended for private study, research, or educational purposes only. Individual transcriptions are inspired by and and based upon the recorded versions cited, but are not necessarily exact replications of those recorded versions.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:35 am
Paul Simon
El Condor Pasa Lyrics

I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail
Yes I would, if I could, I surely would
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail
Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would

Away, I'd rather sail away
Like a swan that's here and gone
A man gets tied up to the cross

He gives the world its saddest sun
Its saddest sun

I'd rather be a forest than a street
Yes I would, if I could, I surely would
I'd rather feel the earth beneath my feet
Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:47 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:49 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:52 am
Craig Stevens
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Gail Shikles, Jr.
Born July 8, 1918
Liberty, Missouri
Died May 10, 2000
Los Angeles, California
Spouse(s) Alexis Smith (1944-1993)

Craig Stevens (July 8, 1918 - May 10, 2000) was an American motion picture and television actor.

Biography

Born Gail Shikles, Jr. in Liberty, Missouri, he studied dentistry at the University of Kansas but acting with the university's drama club saw him give up on his studies to try to make it in the Hollywood film industry. Adopting the stage name Craig Stevens, he debuted in a small role in 1939 and thereafter played mainly secondary parts. In 1944, he married Canadian actress Alexis Smith to whom he was married for almost fifty years until her passing in 1993.

After nearly twenty years in film, in 1958 Craig Stevens gained national prominence for his starring role as the "super-cool" private detective in the trend-setting television series Peter Gunn. The series was produced by Blake Edwards, who also wrote and directed many of the episodes. The theme music for the series was composed by Henry Mancini and helped establish his early fame.

Stevens was called on by Sir Lew Grade of ITV to move to London to play the lead role in a made for TV series called Man of the World in the early 60's.

Stevens died in 2000 in Los Angeles, California from cancer at the age of 81.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:53 am
The Let's All Call Up AT&T And Protest To The President March
Allan Sherman

It's the "The Let's All Call Up AT&T And Protest To The President March."
Can you see him smirking and smiling?
'Cause he's got us all digit dialing.
So let's all call up AT&T and protest to the president march.

So protest! Do your best!
Let us show him that we march in unity.
If he won't change the rules,
Let's take our business to another phone company.
Let's all call up AT&T and protest to the president march.

Let us wake him up in his slumber.
Get a pencil, I'll give you his number.
It's 3 1 8 5 2 7 3
0 8 7 4 2 9 dash!
5 1 1 4 9 0 6 7
4 0 8 5 2 hyphen!
1 1 4 6 2 0 5
7 9 hyphen dash 0 3.

And now that you're on the right road,
Don't forget his Area Code.
Which is 5 1 8 2 4 7 9
0 5 hyphen dash 9 4.

Where are the days of Auld Lang Syne?
Butterfield 8! Madison 9!
Let's keep those beautiful names alive.
Crestview 6! Gramercy 5!
Get ready to fight before it's too late!
Temple 2! Murray Hill 8!
Let's let them know that this means war!
Gettysburg 3! Concord 4! Hurray!

To all telephone subscribers,
We'll erect a triumphal arch,
For the let's all call up AT&T and protest to the president march.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:54 am
Jerry Vale

Jerry Vale (born Gennaro Luigi Vitaliano, 8 July 1932, The Bronx, New York) is an American singer.

Career

In high school, in order to make some money, he took a job shining shoes in a barbershop in New York City. He sang while he shined shoes, and his boss liked the sound so well that he paid for music lessons for the boy. Enjoying the lessons, Vale started singing in high school musicals and at a local club. This led to additional club dates, including one that lasted for three years at a club in the suburb of Yonkers, New York, just north of the city. When Paul Insetta, (who was a road manager for Guy Mitchell and a hit songwriter) heard him there, he signed him to a management contract, changed his name, and further coached his singing voice. He then arranged for Vale to record some demonstration records of songs that he had written, and brought these demos to Columbia Records. Vale then signed a recording contract with Columbia Records, and Insetta managed his career for many years.

Vale and Rita, his wife of over forty years, reside in Los Angeles, California. His autobiography, A Singer's Life, was published in 2000 by Celebrity Profiles, Long Island, New York.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:58 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:01 pm
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:04 pm
Kim Darby

Born July 8, 1947 (1947-07-08) (age 60)
Los Angeles, California, USA

Kim Darby (born Deborah Zerby on July 8, 1947 in Los Angeles, California although her father insisted on calling her Derby Zerby because he believed it was a great stagename) is an American actress, daughter of professional dancers John and Inga Zerby. She began acting at age 15 and has appeared in many films and television shows. Her first appearance was as a dancer in the 1963 film Bye Bye Birdie. Among her best known roles are True Grit (1969), Better Off Dead (1985), and Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995). After appearing in True Grit, film critics predicted that she was at the beginning of a long career as a great and famous actress. In fact, since the film came out, she has made almost no films of note. This has caused some critics to consider her in the same category as Bo Derek (in 10), Maria Schneider (in Last Tango in Paris) because all three actresses made spectacular splashes in one film with critic after critic saying they were going to have a great career, but, in fact, they never acted in any film nearly as successful again.

Her well known TV roles include an appearance in the 1960s hit TV series Ironside, and her well known guest appearance in the first season of Star Trek as Miri in "Miri". She also appeared as Angel in the classic two-part Gunsmoke episode "Vengeance." Darby also appeared in the 1972 movie The People which also starred William Shatner, reuniting them from their Star Trek appearance.

Kim Darby also had the central role of Sally Farnham in the 1973 made-for-TV horror film Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Kim Darby has made numerous guest appearances, including in such TV shows as Crazy Like a Fox, The Love Boat, Riptide, and Becker.

In the late 1980s she began to teach acting in the Los Angeles area and has been an instructor in the Extension Program at the University of California since 1992. She continues to make guest appearances on television and to make occasional films.

She has been married five times, three times to well-known people in Hollywood. Her first marriage was to actor James Stacy (1968-1969). They had one child. Her second marriage was to B-movie actor James Westmoreland (aka Rad Fulton) (February to March 1970). Her fourth marriage was the longest, and was to producer William (Bill) Tennant.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:07 pm
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:16 pm
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:21 pm
Toby Keith

Background information

Birth name Toby Keith Covel
Born July 08, 1961 (1961-07-08) (age 46)
Origin Clinton, Oklahoma, USA
Genre(s) Country
Occupation(s) singer-songwriter
Instrument(s) Vocals, rhythm guitar
Years active 1993-present
Label(s) Mercury Records (1993-1994, 1997-1999)
Polygram (1994-1995)
A&M Records (1996)
DreamWorks Records (2000-2006)
Show Dog Nashville (2006-present)
Website TobyKeith.com

Toby Keith Covel (born July 8, 1961) is an American country music singer-songwriter who has enjoyed commercial success throughout the 1990s and 2000s. Five of his albums have reached number one on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart, and he has had fifteen Number One singles on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts. In addition, he starred in the 2006 film Broken Bridges.

Biography

Early life

Toby Keith Covel was born in Clinton, Oklahoma. His family moved to Moore, Oklahoma (a suburb of Oklahoma City) when Keith was young. His grandmother owned a supper club and Keith became interested in the musicians who came there to play. He got his first guitar at the age of eight. Keith attended Moore High School where he played on the football team.

Keith graduated from Moore High School and, in 1979, went to work as a derrick hand in the booming oil fields of Oklahoma. He worked his way up to become an operation manager. At the age of 20, he formed the Easy Money band and they played local bars as he continued to work in the oil industry. At times, he would have to leave in the middle of a gig if he was paged to work in the oil field.

In 1982, the oil industry in Oklahoma began a rapid decline and Keith soon found himself unemployed. He fell back on his football training and played defensive end with the semi-pro Oklahoma City Drillers while continuing to perform with his band. (The Drillers were an unofficial farm club of the USFL's Oklahoma Outlaws; Keith tried out for the Outlaws but did not make the team.) After two years with the Drillers, Keith decided to try music full time. His family and friends were doubtful he would succeed, but in 1984, Easy Money began playing the honky tonk circuit in Oklahoma and Texas. The band cut a single titled Blue Moon and the song received some airplay on local radio stations in Oklahoma.

Also in 1984, Keith married his wife, Tricia. He is the father of three children; Shelley (born 1981; adopted stepdaughter), Krystal (born 1984), and Stelen (born 1997). An avid University of Oklahoma football fan, Keith is often seen at Oklahoma Sooners games and practices.

Career

In 1993, Keith went to Nashville, Tennessee. Keith hung out and busked on Music Row and at a place called Houndogs. He distributed copies of a demo tape the band had made to the many record companies in the city. There was no interest by any of the record labels and Keith returned home feeling depressed. Keith had promised himself to have a recording contract by the time he was 30 years old or give up on music as a career. He had already passed that age without any prospects for a recording contract.

Fortunately for Keith, a flight attendant and fan of his gave a copy of Keith's demo tape to Harold Shedd, a Mercury Records executive, while he was traveling on a flight she was working. Shedd enjoyed what he heard, went to see Keith perform live and then signed him to a recording contract with Mercury. His debut single, "Should've Been a Cowboy" (1993), went to number 1 on the Billboard country singles chart, and his self-titled debut album was certified platinum. Other hit singles included "A Little Less Talk And A Lot More Action" and "Wish I Didn't Know Now".

Keith moved briefly to Polydor Records and released his next two albums, Boomtown (1994) and Blue Moon (1996). The albums went gold and platinum respectively. In 1996, Keith was also featured on the Beach Boys' now out-of-print 1996 album Stars and Stripes Vol. 1 performing a cover of their 1963 hit Be True to Your School with the Beach Boys themselves providing the harmonies and backing vocals.

Polydor folded and Keith moved back to Mercury Records (now called Mercury Nashville), and released his fourth album, Dream Walkin' (1997). The album featured a duet with Sting, "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying", which had previously been a hit for Sting himself.

Keith began work on his next album How Do You Like Me Now (1999) at Mercury but purchased the rights to the album and moved to DreamWorks Nashville because of creative differences with Mercury.[citation needed] The first single off How Do You Like Me Now failed to make the Top 40 on the country charts. However, the follow-up single, which was the album's title track, went on to spend five weeks at number one, helping boost the album's sales to double platinum.

Keith also began doing a series of television advertisements for Telecom USA for their discount long distance telephone service 10-10-220. Because of the ads and his latest hit album, Keith became a superstar and household name. He also starred in Ford commercials, singing original songs such as "Ford Truck Man" and "Field Trip (Look Again)" while driving Ford trucks.

Keith made an appearance at the very first Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (then NWA-TNA) weekly pay-per-view on June 19, 2002, where his playing of Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue was interrupted by Jeff Jarrett. He would later enter the Gauntlet for the Gold main event specifically to eliminate Jarrett from the match. He would appear the next week, on June 26, and help Scott Hall defeat Jarrett in singles action.

Keith was the subject of the January, 2005 issue of Playboy Magazine's Playboy Interview. That year, Keith toured with rock guitarist Ted Nugent, whom Keith met in Iraq while they were both performing in USO-sponsored shows for the coalition troops.

On August 31, 2005, Keith parted ways with Universal Music Group- which had since bought DreamWorks- and launched his own record label called Show Dog Nashville. Its first release was Keith's album White Trash With Money, followed by the soundtrack to Broken Bridges. Big Dog Daddy, the album that birthed his single High Maintenance Woman, was released on June 12th, 2007. The album debuted at the top of the Billboard 200 charts, his third album to reach this feat, after "Unleashed" and "Shock'n Y'all"

In the Autumn of 2005, he filmed Broken Bridges, written by Cherie Bennett and Jeff Gottesfeld, and directed by Steven Goldmann. This feature film from Paramount/CMT Films was released on September 8, 2006. A contemporary story set in small-town Tennessee, Keith plays Bo Price, a country musician whose career has seen better times. The movie also stars Kelly Preston, Burt Reynolds, and Tess Harper.

In 2005, Keith opened Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill in Bricktown, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Keith is continuing his Hookin' Up & Hangin' Out Tour, sponsored by Ford trucks, in Albany, New York, with guests Flynnville Train, Lindsey Haun, and Miranda Lambert, which wraps up in Hartford, Connecticut

Keith is currently writing a script for a movie based on his and Willie Nelson's 2003 hit Beer for My Horses.[1]

Personal convictions and controversy

On March 24, 2001, Keith's father, H.K. Covel, was killed in a car accident. That event and the September 11, 2001 attacks prompted Keith to write the song "Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue (The Angry American)", a song about his father's patriotism and faith in the USA. At first, Keith refused to record the song and only sang it live at his concerts for military personnel. The reaction was so strong that the Commandant of the Marine Corps James L. Jones told Keith it was his duty as an American citizen to record the song.[1] As the lead single from the album Unleashed (2002), "Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue" peaked at number 1 over the weekend of July 4.

ABC invited Keith to sing "Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue" on a patriotic special it was producing. However, the host of the show, newsman Peter Jennings, requested Keith soften the lyrics of the song or choose another song to sing.[citation needed] Keith refused both requests and did not appear on the special. The rift gave the song a considerable amount of publicity, which led to many national interviews and public performances of the song.

Keith also had a public feud with the Dixie Chicks over the song, as well as comments they made from the stage about President George W. Bush. The lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, Natalie Maines, publicly stated that the song was "ignorant, and it makes country music sound ignorant."[2] Keith responded by belittling Maines' songwriting skills, and by displaying a backdrop at his concerts showing a doctored photo of Maines with Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. On May 21, 2003, Maines wore a T-shirt with the letters FUTK on the front at the Academy of Country Music Awards. [3] While a spokesperson for the Dixie Chicks said that the acronym stood for "Friends United in Truth and Kindness," many including host Vince Gill took it to be a shot at Keith. In August 2003, Keith publicly declared he was done feuding with Maines 'because he's realized there are far more important things to concentrate on'.[4] However, he continues to refuse to say Maines' name, and claims that the doctored photo was intended to express his feeling that Maines' criticism was tyrannical and a dictator-like attempt to squelch Keith's free speech.[5]

In the 2006 film Shut Up and Sing, Maines confirmed that the FUTK shirt was in fact a shot at Toby Keith, after once claiming that it meant Freedom Understanding Truth and Kindness. In an October 2004 appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher, Natalie finally acknowledged that it was indeed an obscene shot at Toby Keith, and that she didn't think her fans would get it.[citation needed]

Keith considers himself "a Conservative Democrat who is sometimes embarrassed for his party." He endorsed the re-election of President George W. Bush in 2004 and performed at a Dallas rally on the night before the election. Keith also endorsed Democrat Dan Boren in his successful run in Oklahoma's 2nd Congressional district and is good friends with Democratic New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson.

In a January 2007 interview with Newsday, Keith was asked whether or not he supported the war in Iraq and responded with "Never did." He favors setting a time limit on the occupation. He also said, "I don't apologize for being patriotic...If there is something socially incorrect about being patriotic and supporting your troops, then they can kiss my [ass] on that, because I'm not going to budge on that at all. And that has nothing to do with politics. Politics is what's killing America." [6]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:23 pm
Once upon a time the government had a
vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert.

Congress said someone may steal from
it at night, so they created a night watchman
position (GS-4) and hired a person for the job.

Then Congress said, "How does the watchman
do his job without instruction? "

So they created a planning position and hired
two people: one person to write the instructions
(GS-12) and one person to do time studies
(GS-11).

Then Congress said, "How will we know the
night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?"

So they created a Q.C. position and hired two
people, one GS-9 to do the studies and one
GS-11 to write the reports.

Then Congress said, "How are these people
going to get paid?" So they created the following
positions, a timekeeper (GS-09) and a payroll
officer (GS-11) and hired two people.

Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable
for all of these people?"

So they created an administrative position and
hired three people: an Admin. Officer (GM-13),
an Assistant Admin. Officer (GS-13) and a Legal
Secretary (GS-08).

Then Congress said, "We have had this command
in operation for one year and we are $18,000 over
budget, we must cutback overall cost," so they
laid off the night watchman.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:44 pm
Well, folks, the eagle may not have landed here, but the hawk just did.

Thanks for the great bio's, Boston. I was particularly interested in a couple of them, especially Marty Feldman, because I did not know the circumstances of his death.

I looked at the lyrics to Courtesy of the Red White and Blue, and they were a little syrupy, but I think we all admire Toby Keith's open admission and stance.

Thanks for the reminder of how the government works in creating and cutting jobs. That gave us all a wry smile.

edgar, we all know and love Paul Simon. Great song, Texas. Wonder if the California condor is still on the endangered list?

I swear dj, where do you get those parodies? I have called AT&T enough to appreciate that one, buddy.

Several folks have done this song, but I think it follows the format of our cyber radio, so...

Billy Eckstine

Without a song the day would never end
Without a song the road would never bend
When things go wrong a man ain't got a friend
Without a song

That field of corn would never see a plow
That field of corn would be deserted now
A man is born but he's no good no how
Without a song

I got my trouble and woe but, sure as I know, the Jordan will roll
And I'll get along as long as a song is strong in my soul

I'll never know what makes the rain to fall
I'll never know what makes that grass so tall
I only know there ain't no love at all
Without a song

<instrumental>

I've-a got my trouble and woe and, sure as I know, the Jordan will roll
And I'll get along as long as a song is strong in my soul

I'll-a never know what makes that rain to fall
I'll never know what makes the grass so tall
I only know there ain't no love at all
Without a song.

Hope our puppy can make it today.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 01:27 pm
Hey, all. Today is Shewolfn's birthday.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99635&highlight=

Go wish her a happy one, ok?

http://www.beyond.fr/picsfauna/wolf_anim.gif
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 02:09 pm
Good afternoon WA2K and a Happy Birthday to Shewolf. Very Happy

And today's celebrities:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/b8/230px-BillyEckstineAlbum.jpghttp://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/E/htmlE/emersonfaye/emersonfayeIMAGE/emersonfaye.jpghttp://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/images/lowrez/Pgunn210.gif
http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/muze/music/495738.jpghttp://www.intermed.it/shuttle/box1004/igor.jpghttp://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007MB5P.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://services.windowsmedia.com/vidpic/pic200/drV000/V039/V003901BJ40.jpghttp://www.geraldpeary.com/essays/abc/anjelica.jpg
http://www.kevin-bacon.com/images/kevin-bacon-biography.jpghttp://www.lasvegas-nv.com/brett/toby-keith.jpg

Billy; Faye; Craig, Jerry, Marty, Steve, Kim, Anjelica, Kevin and Toby.

I'd sure like to know how our PD is getting all those amazing pictures - walking alligator, howling wolf, etc. Looks complicated to me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 02:20 pm
Howlin Wolf
I'm The Wolf (1954 recording)
From More Real Folk Blues (MCA CHD 9279)

You know I'm the Wolf baby, you know I stays in the woods
You know I'm the Wolf babe, you know I stays in the woods.
Well when you get in trouble, you call the wolf out of the woods.

Well you want my money, well you want me to spend it on you
Well you want my money, babe you want the Wolf to spend it on you
Just as soon as you get my fortune, she said what in the world I want with you?

Well I spend my money, trying to make you satsified
Well, I have spent my money darlin', tryin' to make you satisfied
Well, the woman who took my money and took my home and, oh the Wolf gonna wreck her life.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 02:43 pm
Michael Jackson Singing about his rat friend, Ben!

Ben, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for
With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And you, my friend, will see
You've got a friend in me
(you've got a friend in me)

Ben, you're always running here and there
You feel you're not wanted anywhere
If you ever look behind
And don't like what you find
There's one thing you should know