0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 10:53 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:00 am
Dimitri Tiomkin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dimitri Zinovievich Tiomkin (Russian: Дмитрий Зиновьевич Тёмкин, Dmitrij Zinov'evič Tëmkin, sometimes translated as Dmitri Tiomkin) (May 10, 1894 - November 11, 1979) was a three-time Academy Award winning film score composer and conductor. Along with Max Steiner, Miklós Rózsa and Franz Waxman, Tiomkin was one of the most productive and decorated film music writers of Hollywood.

Tiomkin was born in Kremenchug, Ukraine and educated at the Saint Petersburg Conservatory in Russia, where he studied piano with Felix Blumenfeld and harmony and counterpoint with Glazunov. In 1920, while working for the Petrograd Military District Political Administration (PUR), he was one of the lead organizers of two revolutionary mass spectacles, the "Mystery of Liberated Labor," a pseudo-religious mystery play for the May Day festivities, and "The Storming of the Winter Palace" for the celebrations of the third anniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution.[1]

He later moved to Berlin, where his father was practising as a doctor, and had some lessons from Busoni. He emigrated in 1925 to the United States and became an American citizen in 1937. Although influenced by Eastern European music traditions, he was able to score typical American movies like Frank Capra's famous Lost Horizon (1937) or It's a Wonderful Life (1946) and also Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939), both with James Stewart. He also worked on Fred Zinnemann's High Noon (1952), which also won him a "Best Song" Oscar for "Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin'(The Ballad of High Noon)". In 1954, he won the Academy Award for best song of the John Wayne film The High and the Mighty.

Many classic scores followed, many of which were also in Western movies, like The High and the Mighty (1954), Giant (1956), Friendly Persuasion (1956), Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957), Rio Bravo (1959), The Alamo (1960), The Guns of Navarone (1961), Town Without Pity (1961), 55 Days at Peking (1963), The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964) and many more.

Besides cinema he was also active in writing for the small screen, writing some memorable television theme-songs, as for Rawhide (1959) and Gunslinger. He was also hired to write the theme for TV's The Wild Wild West (1965), but the producers rejected his themes and hired Richard Markowitz.

Dimitri Tiomkin died in London, England in 1979 and was interred in Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California.

Awards and nominations

Academy Awards, USA

1972 - nominated for "Best Music, Scoring Adaptation and Original Song" Score for Chaikovsky (1969)
1965 - nominated for "Best Music, Score - Substantially Original" for: The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964)
1964 - nominated for "Best Music, Original Song" AND "Best Music, Score - Substantially Original" for 55 Days at Peking (1963)
1962 - nominated for "Best Music, Original Song" for Town Without Pity (1961) AND for "Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture" for The Guns of Navarone (1961)
1961 - nominated for "Best Music, Original Song" AND for "Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture" for The Alamo (1960)
1961 - nominated for "Best Music, Original Song" for The Young Land (1959)
1959 - won an Oscar for "Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture" for The Old Man and the Sea (1958)
1958 - nominated for "Best Music, Original Song" for Wild Is the Wind (1957)
1957 - nominated for "Best Music, Original Song" for Friendly Persuasion, "Best Scoring of a Dramatic Picture" for "Giant" (1956)
1955 - nominated for "Best Music, Original Song" for The High and the Mighty (1954) and won an Oscar for "Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture" for the same movie
1953 - won an Oscar for "Best Music, Original Song" for High Noon (1952)
1950 - nominated for "Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture" for Champion (1949)
1945 - nominated for "Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture" for The Bridge of San Luis Rey (1944)
1944 - nominated for "Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture" for The Moon and Sixpence (1943)
1943 - nominated for "Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture" for The Corsican Brothers (1941)
1940 - nominated for "Best Music, Scoring" for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

Golden Globes

1965 for "Best Original Score" for The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964)
1962 for "Best Motion Picture Score" for The Guns of Navarone (1961) AND for "Best Motion Picture Song" for Town Without Pity (1961)
1961 for "Best Original Score" for The Alamo (1960)
1957 he received the "Special Award" as "Recognition for film music"
1955 he received the "Special Award" "For creative musical contribution to Motion Picture"
1953 for "Best Motion Picture Score" for High Noon (1952)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:04 am
Anatole Litvak

Anatole Litvak (May 10, 1902 - December 15, 1974) was a Ukrainian-born international filmmaker who wrote, directed, and produced films in a variety of countries and languages.

Early years

He was born Mikhail Anatol Litwak into a Jewish family in the city of Kiev in what was then part of the Russian Empire. As a teenager, he worked at a theater in St. Petersburg and took acting lessons at the State drama school. In the 1920s, he would go to Germany where he made films but as a Jew had to flee in the 1930s as a result of the Nazi regime. While living in England he made several successful films there and in France that brought a contract offer from a Hollywood studio.

Private life

In 1937, Litvak became the third husband of American actress Miriam Hopkins. Their short-lived marriage ended in divorce in 1939. He married a second time to costume designer Sophie Steur who worked on some of his films. They remained married until his death.

Career

Litvak served with the United States Army during World War II and joined with fellow director Frank Capra to make the Why We Fight film series. Because of Litvak's ability to speak Russian, German, and French, he played a key role as the head of the army's photography division responsible for documenting the U.S. D-Day landing on Normandy.

At the end of the war, he returned to filmmaking and remained active in Hollywood until the mid-1950s when he began filming in Europe. Most notable was Anastasia (1956) filmed in Paris and starring Ingrid Bergman, Yul Brynner and Helen Hayes. The film was a fictitious imagining of the mystery surrounding the Grand Duchess Anastasia. The movie enjoyed huge commercial success.

Awards and nominations

In 1940, his film All This and Heaven Too was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture. In 1948 Litvak was nominated for an Academy Award for Directing for his film The Snake Pit. This film and his 1951 production of Decision Before Dawn were both nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture. In 1961, at the Cannes Film Festival his Goodbye Again was nominated for the Palme d'Or.

Anatole Litvak died in 1974 in the Parisian suburb of Neuilly-sur-Seine, France.

For his contribution to the motion picture industry, he has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6633 Hollywood Blvd.

Trivia

Litvak discovered a seventeen-year-old Gene Tierney on the Warner Bros. lot while she and her family were on a private tour (1937). She had a screen test and was offered a contract. Tierney turn it down because the salary was too low. It would be several years before she returned to Hollywood. In the interim she appeared in four Broadway shows.

Filmography

Dolly macht Karriere (1930)
Nie wieder Liebe (1931)
Coeur de lilas (1932)
Sleeping Car (1933)
L'Équipage (1935)
Mayerling (1936)
The Woman I Love (1937)
Tovarich (1937)
Confessions of a Nazi Spy (1939)
The Sisters (1938)
The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse (1938)
Castle on the Hudson (1940)
City for Conquest (1940)
All This and Heaven Too (1940)
Out of the Fog (1941)
Blues in the Night (1941)
This Above All (1942)
The Long Night (1947)
Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)
The Snake Pit (1948)
Decision Before Dawn (1951)
Un acte d'amour (1953)
The Deep Blue Sea (1955)
Anastasia (1956)
The Journey (1959)
Goodbye Again (1961)
Five Miles to Midnight (1962)
The Night of the Generals (1967)
The Lady in the Car With Glasses and a Gun (1970)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:07 am
David O. Selznick

Born: May 10, 1902
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Died: June 22, 1965, age 63
Hollywood, Los Angeles, California

David O. Selznick (May 10, 1902-June 22, 1965), was one of the iconic Hollywood producers of the Golden Age. He is best known for producing the epic blockbuster Gone with the Wind (1939) which earned him an Oscar for Best Picture. Not only did Gone with the Wind gross the highest amount of money at the box office of any film ever (adjusted for inflation), but it also won seven additional Oscars and two special awards. Selznick also won the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award that same year. He would make film history by winning the Best Picture Oscar a second year in a row for Rebecca (1940).

Biography

Selznick was born to a Jewish family in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the son of silent movie distributor Lewis J. Selznick and Florence A. (Sachs) Selznick. He studied at Columbia University and worked as an apprentice in his father's company until his father went bankrupt in 1923. In 1926, Selznick moved to Hollywood and with his father's connections, got a job as an assistant story editor at MGM. He left MGM for Paramount Pictures in 1928, working there until 1931 when he joined RKO as Head of Production. His years at RKO were fruitful and he guided many notable films there, including A Bill of Divorcement (1932), What Price Hollywood (1932) and King Kong (1933). While at RKO, he also gave George Cukor his big directing break. In 1933 he returned to MGM to establish a second prestige production unit to parallel that of Irving Thalberg who was in poor health. His blockbuster classics included Dinner at Eight (1933), David Copperfield (1935), Anna Karenina (1935) and A Tale of Two Cities (1935).

But Selznick was restless and longed to be an independent producer and establish his own studio. In 1935 he realized that goal by forming Selznick International Pictures and distributing his films through United Artists. His successes continued with classics such as The Garden of Allah (1936), The Prisoner of Zenda (1937), A Star Is Born (1937), Nothing Sacred (1937), Made For Each Other (1939), Intermezzo (1939) and of course, his magnum opus, Gone with the Wind (1939). In 1940, he produced his second Best Picture Oscar winner in a row, Rebecca, the first Hollywood production for British director Alfred Hitchcock. Selznick had brought Hitchcock over from England, launching the director's American career. Rebecca was Hitchcock's only film to win Best Picture.

After Rebecca, Selznick closed Selznick International Pictures and took some time off. His business activities included loaning out to other studios for large profits the high-powered talent he had under contract including Hitchcock, Ingrid Bergman, Vivien Leigh and Joan Fontaine. He also developed film projects and sold the packages to other producers. In 1944 he returned to producing pictures with the huge success Since You Went Away, which he wrote. He followed that with the classic Spellbound (1945) as well as Portrait of Jennie (1948). In 1949, he co-produced the memorable Carol Reed picture The Third Man.

After Gone with the Wind, Selznick spent the rest of his career trying to top that landmark achievement. The closest he came was with Duel in the Sun (1946). With a huge budget, the film is renowned for its stellar cast, its sweeping cinematography and for causing all sorts of moral upheaval because of the then risqué script written by Selznick. And though it was a troublesome shoot with a number of directors, the film would turn out to be a major success. The film was the second highest grossing film of 1947 and turned out to be the first movie that Martin Scorsese would see, inspiring the director's career.

"I stopped making films in 1948 because I was tired," Selznick later wrote. "I had been producing, at the time, for twenty years . . . . Additionally it was crystal clear that the motion-picture business was in for a terrible beating from television and other new forms of entertainment, and I thought it a good time to take stock and to study objectively the obviously changing public tastes . . . . Certainly I had no intention of staying away from production for nine years."[1] Selznick spent most of the 1950s obsessing about nurturing the career of his second wife Jennifer Jones. His last film, the big budget production, A Farewell to Arms (1957) starring Jones and Rock Hudson, was ill received. But in 1954, he ventured successfully into television, producing a two hour extravaganza called Light's Diamond Jubilee, which, in true Selznick fashion, made TV history by being telecast simultaneously on all networks.

Selznick died in 1965 following several heart attacks, and was interred in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California.

In addition to his stellar filmography, Selznick had a keen instinct for new talent and will be remembered for introducing American movie audiences to Fred Astaire, Katharine Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Vivien Leigh and Louis Jourdan as well as director Alfred Hitchcock. Selznick continued to be a larger than life Hollywood presence right up to the end of his life. A fascinating study in contrasts, this passionate, creative, obsessed product of the motion picture business remains an integral part of film making history.

Despite the debt many of his discoveries owe him and his undoubtable dedication to film-making, Selznick is considered to be the stereotypical version of the film producer to whom his modern equivalents are often compared to - one who constantly interfered with the creative process of film-making and earned as many enemies as friends. Alfred Hitchcock, whose film Spellbound was edited on Selznick's insistence, grew resentful of his nature and decided to produce his own films from Notorious onwards. Selznick also battled with Carol Reed during the production of The Third Man and edited the film for its American release. Perhaps the most famous example of his interference was during the production of Powell and Pressburger's Gone to Earth starring his wife Jennifer Jones. After production, Selznick disliked the film and removed almost an entire third of it for its American release, under the title The Wild Heart. Selznick lost a court case with Powell & Pressburger to control all versions of the film but he retained control of the American release so he proceeded to cut and change various sections back in Hollywood.

However, it is generally conceded that had Selznick not been such a meddlesome perfectionist, his best films would not have been the masterpieces that they were. One memorable example, revealed in the book Memo From David O. Selznick, concerned the 1940 film Rebecca. When he was submitted the screenplay for approval, Selznick was shocked to discover that Alfred Hitchcock, the film's director, had allowed Daphne du Maurier's original novel to be changed so that it was virtually unrecognizable, even to the point of introducing unnecessarily comic scenes not in the book. The furious Selznick wrote Hitchcock a blistering memo, and forced Hitchcock to remain faithful to the novel.

Other Facts

David O. Selznick's real name was simply David Selznick. It is sometimes claimed that the "O" stands for Oliver, but, in fact, the initial was an invention of his. The book Memo from David O. Selznick[2] starts with this autobiographical memoir:
I have no middle name. I briefly used my mother's maiden name, Sachs. I had an uncle, whom I greatly disliked, who was also named David Selznick, so in order to avoid the growing confusion between the two of us, I decided to take a middle initial and went through the alphabet to find one that seemed to me to give the best punctuation, and decided on "O."
Alfred Hitchcock made subtle reference to this in North by Northwest where Cary Grant's character Roger Thornhill uses the monogram ROT and says the O stands for "nothing". He also dressed the antagonist of Rear Window to look like Selznick.
Selznick married Irene Gladys Mayer, daughter of MGM mogul Louis B. Mayer, in 1930. They divorced in 1948. They had two sons, Daniel Selznick and Jeffrey Selznick.
Selznick married actress Jennifer Jones in 1949. They had one daughter, Mary Jennifer Selznick, who committed suicide in 1975.
Selznick's brother Myron Selznick became one of the most powerful agents in Hollywood, defining the profession for those that followed. He died in 1944.
For his indelible contribution to the motion picture industry, David O. Selznick has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7000 Hollywood Blvd., in front of the historic Hollywood Roosevelt hotel.

Film Library

After Selznick's death, his estate sold the rights to a majority of his post-1935 films to ABC (now part of Disney/Buena Vista), although MGM retained the rights to Gone with the Wind (today part of the Turner Entertainment library), and 20th Century Fox still holds rights to the remake of A Farewell to Arms.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:10 am
Jack wakes up at home with a huge hangover he can't believe.
He forces himself to open his eyes, and the first thing
he sees is a couple of aspirins next to a glass of water
on the side table. And,next to them, a single red rose!

He sits down and sees his clothing in front of him,all
clean and pressed.

Jack looks around the room and sees that it is in perfect
order. Spotlessly clean. So is the rest of the house. He
takes the aspirins, cringes when he sees a huge black eye
staring back at him in the bathroom mirror, and notices a
note on the table: "Honey, breakfast is on the stove,
I left early to go shopping--Love you!"

He stumbles to the kitchen and sure enough, there is a
hot breakfast and the morning newspaper. His son is also
at the table, eating.

Jack asks, "Son...what happened last night?"

"Well, you came home after 3 A.M., drunk and out of
your mind. You broke some furniture, puked in the
hallway, and got that black eye when you ran into the
door."

"So, why is everything in such perfect order, so clean,
I have a rose, and breakfast is on the table waiting
for me?"

His son replies, "Oh THAT!... Mom dragged you to the
bedroom, and when she tried to take your pants off,
you screamed, "Leave me alone, lady, I'm married!'"

Broken furniture - $85.26
Hot Breakfast - $4.20
Red Rose bud -$3.00
Two Aspirins -$.38
Saying the right thing, at the right time.........Priceless.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:28 am
Cheerful Little Earful
Tom Gerun & his Orchestra

[Words by Ira Gershwin and Billy Rose]
[Music by Harry Warren]

There's a cheerful little earful
Gosh I miss it something fearful
And this cheerful little earful
Is the well known "I love you"

Stocks can go down
Bus'ness slow down
But the milk and honey flow down
With a cheerful little earful
Of the well known "I love you"

In ev'ry play it's a set phrase
What the public get phrase
But as a pet phrase
It'll do, do, do
Poopa, rooit soft and cuit
Make me happy you can do it
With a cheerful little earful
Of the well known "I love you"
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:49 am
Good afternoon WA2K.

Remembering:

http://alhazan.com/images/fred-astaire.jpghttp://www.fredastaireworcester.com/nss-folder/pictures/fred1.jpg

Have you seen the well-to-do, up and down Park Avenue
On that famous thoroughfare, with their noses in the air
High hats and Arrow collars, white spats and lots of dollars
Spending every dime, for a wonderful time

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to
why don't you go where fashion sits,
Puttin' on the ritz.

Different types who wear a day coat, pants with stripes
and cutaway coat, perfect fits,
Puttin' on the ritz.

Dressed up like a million dollar trouper
Trying mighty hard to look like Gary Cooper (super duper)

Come let's mix where Rockefellers walk with sticks
or umberellas in their mitts,
Puttin' on the ritz.

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to
why don't you go where fashion sits,
(Puttin' on the ritz)
(Puttin' on the ritz)
(Puttin' on the ritz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:51 am
Cryin' For The Carolines
Fred Waring's Pennsylvanians

[Words by Sam H Lewis and Joe Young]
[Music by Harry Warren]

Big town you lured me
Big town you cured me
Tho' others hate to say goodbye to you
I'm leavin' but I'll never sigh for you
Big town you robbed me of ev'ry joy I knew

Where is the song I had in my heart
That harmonized with the pines
Anyone can see what's troublin' me
Cryin' for the Carolines
Where is the brook that kisses the lane
Covered with "Glory Vines"
I'm crying for the Carolines.
How can I smile mile after mile
There's not a bit of green here
Birdies all stay far far away
They're seldom ever seen here
Where is the gal that I used to meet
Down where the pale moon shines
I'm crying for the Carolines

Small town you've sold me
Small town you'll hold me
You said that I'd have nothing but regret
I've cried the blues to ev'ry one I've met
Small town you gave me all that I'll ever get

Where is the song I had in my heart
That harmonized with the pines
Cryin' for the Carolines
Where is the brook that kisses the lane
Covered with "Glory Vines"
I'm crying for the Carolines.
How can I smile mile after mile
There's not a bit of green here
Birdies all stay far far away
They're seldom ever seen here
Where is the gal that I used to meet
Down where the pale moon shines
I'm crying for the Carolines
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:01 pm
Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
Nat Shilkret

[Written by Al Dubin and Joe Burke]

For I'm dancing with tears in my eyes
'Cause the girl in my arms isn't you
Dancing with somebody new
When it's you that my hearts calling to

Trying to smile, once in a while
But I find it so hard to do
For I'm dancing with tears in my eyes
'Cause the girl in my arms isn't you
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:39 pm
another tune by the debonair Mr. Astaire Cool

Heaven, I'm in Heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak;
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing, cheek to cheek.

Heaven, I'm in Heaven,
And the cares that hang around me thro' the week
Seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak
When we're out together dancing, cheek to cheek.

Oh! I love to climb a mountain,
And to reach the highest peak,
But it doesn't thrill me half as much
As dancing cheek to cheek.

Oh! I love to go out fishing
In a river or a creek,
But I don't enjoy it half as much
As dancing cheek to cheek.

Dance with me
I want my arm about you;
The charm about you
Will carry me thro' to Heaven

I'm in Heaven,
and my heart beats so that I can hardly speak;
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:22 pm
And one more Astaire/Irving Berlin song. Very Happy

It only happens when I dance with you
That trip to heaven 'till the dance is through
With no one else do the Heavens seem quite so near
Why does it happen, dear only with you?

Two cheeks together can be so divine
But only when those cheeks are yours and mine
I've danced with dozens of others the whole night through,
But the thrill that comes with Spring when anything could happen,