WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:11 am
Ryan O'Neal
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Patrick Ryan O'Neal
Born April 20, 1941 (1941-04-20) (age 65)
Los Angeles, California, United States

Patrick Ryan O'Neal (born April 20, 1941) is an Oscar-nominated American actor.

Biography

Early life

Born in Los Angeles, California to an Irish-American Hollywood movie screenwriter Charles O'Neal and actress Patricia Callaghan, O'Neal first became famous on the soap opera Peyton Place.

Hollywood career

His role in Love Story gained him an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. Further starring roles have been in Paper Moon (co-starring his daughter, Oscar-winner Tatum O'Neal), the Stanley Kubrick directed Barry Lyndon, and the Love Story sequel, Oliver's Story.

O'Neal starred in a series of films directed by Peter Bogdanovich and was the second highest grossing movie star in 1972. However his film career had faded by the end of the decade. He has also appeared in several television series.

Personal life

O'Neal has been in a very long-term (off and on again) relationship with actress Farrah Fawcett. He also publicly dated Diana Ross for some time. He was also previously married to actresses Joanna Moore and Leigh Taylor-Young. He has four children: Tatum O'Neal and Griffin O'Neal (with Moore), Patrick O'Neal (with Taylor-Young) and Redmond O' Neal (with Fawcett).

Health problems

In 2001 he was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) leukemia[1]. As of 2006, it is in remission.[2] After struggling with leukemia, Ryan was frequently seen at the side of his former companion, Farrah Fawcett, during her own bout with cancer.[3]

2007 Family Incident and Arrest
This section documents a current event.
Information may change rapidly as the event progresses.

Ryan O'Neal was arrested for allegedly assaulting his son, Griffin, in Malibu, police said Sunday, February 4th, 2007.[4]

Ryan, was charged with assault with a deadly weapon and negligent discharge[5] of a firearm and released on $50,000 bond.[6]

According to O'Neal's manager Neil Hassman, the incident occurred when the younger O'Neal threatened the elder with a fireplace poker. It was reported at the same time that this confrontation left a 22-year-old woman with injuries unrelated to the firing of the handgun; the origins of her injury and the responsible party had not been identified as of February 5.[1] The 22-year old woman was later confirmed as JoAnne Berry, Griffin O'Neal's girlfriend.[7]

O'Neal in an interview with the Los Angeles Times charges that his son grazed him "four or five times" with the fireplace poker and that when he ducked to avoid the swinging weapon, Griffin "hit his own girlfriend in the head." O'Neal adds that he got "nervous" because of the woman's pregnancy. "I fled to my room," he says, "and I got my gun." When Griffin pursued him anew, says Ryan, he fired his gun "into the banister" to scare Griffin into fleeing. This is not the first time O'Neal has been accused of assaulting his son Griffin; rumors have circulated concerning O'Neal's temper with his children for some time, gaining some traction with allegations made by his daughter Tatum. In the early 1980s a fight between Ryan and Griffin O'Neal over the latter's drug use left the younger man with two teeth missing.[8]

Complicating matters, a separate report claimed that the cause of the altercation was that Griffin had chained his half-brother Redmond to a staircase in the belief the younger man intended to buy illegal drugs, and that Ryan, discovering the chain on his return from a dinner in honor of Farrah Fawcett, flew into a rage in which he (rather than Griffin) began waving the poker. According to this scenario--sourced to "unidentified law-enforcement officials"--Ryan may have been responsible for the injuries to Miss Berry. Given the weakness in the sources, and the lack of any public statement by Griffin, the veracity of this story will become more clear if and when an indictment is made.[9]
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:11 am
While we wait for our hawk to refresh his feathers, Let's tie one on with Tai.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2620721#2620721

And here's a dedication to BioBob's pc.

In my adobe hacienda
There's a touch of Mexico,
Cactus love lighter than orchids
Blooming in the patio,
Soft desert stars and the strum of guitars,
Make ev'ry evening seem so sweet,
In my adobe hacienda
Life and love are more complete.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:16 am
Jessica Lange

Birth name Jessica Phyllis Lange
Born April 20, 1949 (1949-04-20) (age 57)
Cloquet, Minnesota, USA
Notable roles Frances Farmer in Frances
Patsy Cline in Sweet Dreams
Academy Awards

Best Actress
1994 Blue Sky
Best Supporting Actress
1982 Tootsie

Jessica Phyllis Lange (born April 20, 1949) is a two-time Academy Award-winning American actress.

Biography

Early life

Lange, the third of four children, was born in Cloquet, Minnesota to Dorothy Florence Sahlman and Albert John Lange. Her maternal grandparents were of Finnish descent, while her paternal grandfather was German and her paternal grandmother was Dutch.[1] She studied art briefly at the University of Minnesota before going to Paris where she studied mime. She returned to New York City in 1973 and took acting lessons while working as a waitress and a fashion model for the Wilhelmina modeling agency.

Career

Lange was nominated for an Best Actress Oscar for the 1989 film, Music BoxIn 1976, Dino De Laurentiis cast her in his motion picture remake King Kong, which started and almost ended her career. The unfavorable reviews were devastating but critics took notice when she made an impressive turn in Bob Rafelson's remake of The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981).

Her performance in her next film, Frances (1982), in which she portrayed actress Frances Farmer, was highly lauded and earned her a Best Actress Academy Award nomination. She received two nominations that year, the other as Supporting Actress in the comedy Tootsie (1982), for which she won. She continued giving impressive performances through the 80s and 90s in films such as Sweet Dreams (1984) (playing country/western singer Patsy Cline), Music Box (1989), Men Don't Leave (1990), and Blue Sky (1994) for which she won the Best Actress Academy Award.

Lange's former home in Stillwater, MinnesotaLange once stated that her role as Patsy Cline in the film Sweet Dreams was her all time favorite role because of Cline's fascinating character.

In 1992, Lange made her Broadway debut opposite Alec Baldwin in Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire. In 2000, she appeared on the London stage as Mary Tyrone in Eugene O'Neill's Long Day's Journey Into Night. In 2005, she returned to Broadway in another Tennessee Williams' play, The Glass Menagerie with actor Christian Slater. The revival was met with mostly negative reviews in New York, although was acclaimed by the european press.

Personal life

Lange was married to photographer Paco Grande from 1970-1981. Since 1982, she has lived with playwright/actor Sam Shepard. She has three children, Alexandra (born 1981) with dancer/actor Mikhail Baryshnikov, and Hannah Jane (born 1985) and Walker Samuel (born 1987) with Shepard. Lange currently lives in New York City.

Lange is a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF. She has also been a public critic of President George W. Bush, once remarking "I despise him and his entire administration." [1]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:22 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:32 am
Carmen Electra

Birth name Tara Leigh Patrick
Born April 20, 1972 (1972-04-20) (age 35)
Sharonville, Ohio, USA
Notable roles Lani McKenzie in Baywatch
Drew Decker in Scary Movie
Herself in Date Movie

Tara Leigh Patrick (born April 20, 1972), professionally known as Carmen Electra,[1] is an American glamour model, television personality, singer and actress.

Biography

Early life

Tara was born in Sharonville, Ohio, a suburb of Cincinnati, to Patricia, a vocalist, and Harry Patrick, an entertainer and guitarist; her mother died of a brain tumor in 1998. She had an older sister, Debbie, who died from a heart attack, also in 1998.[2] Tara attended the School for Creative and Performing Arts in Cincinnati, Princeton High School in Sharonville and also attended, very briefly, Forest Park High School.[3]

Career

After moving to California, she met singer Prince (a Minneapolis native), who persuaded her to change her name to Carmen Electra. Soon after, she signed a recording contract with Paisley Park Records, Prince's company, marking the start of a short-lived rap career, which included one album.

In 1995, Electra started appearing in various television programs. Then, in May of 1996 she was featured in a nude pictorial in Playboy magazine, the first of several. This exposure led to higher profile television appearances, including Baywatch (cast member from 1997-1998) and MTV's Singled Out. She returned to Baywatch for the 2003 reunion movie, Baywatch: Hawaiian Wedding.

Electra has appeared in several films, such as Good Burger (1997), The Mating Habits of the Earthbound Human (1999), the horror spoof Scary Movie (2000) and also appeared in Scary Movie 4 (2006), Epic Movie (2007), and the remake of the 1970s TV show Starsky & Hutch (2004). She has also made cameo appearances as herself in the comedy American Dreamz. She regularly performed with the exotic dance troupe The Pussycat Dolls. Electra also created the highly successful Carmen Electra Aerobic Striptease series of DVDs which combines classic stripping moves with a low impact workout. Her most recent movie appearance is a leading role in the british film I Want Candy.

Her acting work is generally panned by critics.[4]

In 2005, she joined the voice cast of the animated series Tripping the Rift, replacing Gina Gershon as the voice of the sexy android "Six". In late 2006, Carmen began to be featured in commercials by Taco Bell.

Electra is the current spokesmodel for Ritz Camera Centers, appearing in their television and print ads with CEO David Ritz. She is featured in some video spoofs of Lonelygirl15 that are advertising Epic Movie.

She is a playable character in the video game Def Jam: Fight for New York and is one of the celebrity challenges in the video game, ESPN NFL 2K5, along with Steve-O, Jamie Kennedy, and others.

Personal life

Carmen Electra was previously romantically involved with rap star B Real of Cypress Hill from 1995 to 1998. Electra achieved publicity during her on-again, off-again marriage to basketball star Dennis Rodman from 1998 to 1999. The wedding to Rodman took place at Little Chapel of the Flowers in Las Vegas, Nevada. Later, she had a brief affair with Tommy Lee, the ex-husband of Pamela Anderson.

On November 22, 2003, Electra married Dave Navarro, former lead guitarist for the rock bands Jane's Addiction and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. The couple documented their courtship and marriage in an MTV celebreality show called 'Til Death Do Us Part: Carmen & Dave.[5] On 17 July 2006, she and Navarro announced their separation. Their rep confirmed their separation to Star Magazine. Electra filed for divorce on 10 August. It was finalized on February 20, 2007.[6][7] She was recently linked with Joan Jett romantically, but Electra's publicist has insisted they are "just friends".

Trivia

In 2006, Electra stated that when she was eight years old she had a "little girl crush" on Joan Jett. [8][9]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:36 am
Daffynitions Not Found in Webster's. . . .

Secret: what we tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Hospital: where you might wind up if you get run down.

Nudist: a person who is never clothes-minded.

Twins: womb-mates.

Tension: what the sergeant shouts to the troops.

Bargain Basement: a place where what you seize is what you get.

Zinc: what you do if you can't zwim.

Paralyze: a couple of fibs.

Bacteria: rear entrance to a cafeteria.

Seamstress: a real material girl.

Diploma: the person you call when your toilet backs up.

Operetta: an employee of the phone company.

Calculator: a product you can count on.

Microwave: a head full of tiny curls.

Jail cell: a bar room.

Golf cart: a vehicle with a fore cylinder engine.

Minister: a man who is the soul support of his family.

Cashew: the noise a nut makes when it sneezes.

Stupendous: advanced stupidity.

Hurricane: what Abel said to his brother when he was late for school..
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:44 am
Well, folks, our hawkman is through as he gives us some definitions to groan by. Love the "hurricane", BioBob. Hope you are able to continue.

Until our picture person arrives. (and we all know her, so no need to name)here's a song that interests me for many reasons.

Luther Vandross
Shine
Ya'll came here to gave it up
So come on and show me what you got
It's about to be on baby non-stop
Tonight you're gonna get your time to shine
Nobody but stars in here tonight
Dancing underneath the party light
When I see you working that body right

I've been waiting, now I'm ready for the main event
All the ladies and the players in here just to kill
Choose a winner who has flavor looking on for style
Only the best can pass this test, let me check you out

In the mist of a fierce competition
Get a view from a better position
A little closer now you got my attention
Maybe your my, my, my superstar
Keep showing me moves that are blazing
Cause you're teasing my imagination
Don't believe I can fight temptation
I think you already know that

Your time, your time to shine
Shine, shine, shine, shine groove shine
Shine, shine, shine, shine it's alright

Spotlight search for someone special could you be the one
If you're nothing, don't get jealous, just keep moving on
Feet to the beat so hot the heat, spraying of the shine
So cling, so fresh, a real good kiss so I'm gonna make you mine

In the mist of a fierce competition
Get a view from a better position
A little closer now you got my attention
Maybe your my, my, my superstar
Keep showing me moves that are blazing
Cause you're teasing my imagination
Don't believe I can fight temptation
I think you already know that

It's alright, alright to shine

It's alright, alright to shine
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:28 am
Good Morning WA2K.

Picture time:

http://silentgents.com/Lloyd/Lloyd65.jpghttp://entimg.msn.com/i/150/Movies/Actors4/Wray_PF00952579_150x200.jpghttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/section/movies/filmography/1/WireImage_1315377.jpg
http://www.nndb.com/people/004/000022935/lange.jpghttp://www.nathanielturner.com/images/New_Folder3/luthervandross2.jpg
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Backcourt/General/2006_11_06_carmen_electra.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:44 am
and good morning to you, Raggedy pup. Great pictures, PA.

We're looking at Lloyd, Bruce, Ryan, Jessica, Luther, and Carmen.

Sorry, Miss Electra. Your name reminded me of this. <smile>

Don José

La fleur que tu m'avais jetée
dans ma prison m'était restée,
flétrie et sèche, cette fleur
gardait toujours sa douce odeur;
et pendant des heures entières,
sur mes yeux, fermant mes paupières,
de cette odeur je m'enivrais
et dans la nuit je te voyais!
Je me prenais à te maudire,
à te détester, à me dire:
pourquoi faut-il que le destin
l'ait mise là sur mon chemin!
Puis je m'accusais de blasphème,
et je ne sentais en moi-même,
je ne sentais qu'un seul désir,
un seul désir, un seul espoir:
te revoir, ô Carmen, oui, te revoir!
Car tu n'avais eu qu'à paraître,
qu'à jeter un regard sur moi,
pour t'emparer de tout mon être,
ô ma Carmen!
Et j'étais une chose à toi!
Carmen, je t'aime!

Translation.

Don José
In prison I kept lovingly
The flower you had thrown at me.
Though it had faded and turned dry,
It still smelled sweet as time went by;
And I would put that special flower
On my closed eyes, hour after hour.
Drunk with that fragrance, I felt light,
And there I saw you in the night!
At times I would begin to hate you,
To curse you and to execrate you,
To say: why did it have to be
That fate brought her so close to me!
Then I thought that faith had defied me,
And I only felt deep inside me,
I only felt but one desire,
But one desire, one hope, one yen,
To see you, Carmen, yes, see you again!
For all you needed was to be there,
To throw a fleeting glance my way,
To have full mastery of me there,
Oh, Carmen, dear!
And all you did with me was play!
Carmen, I love you!

Lord have mercy how I adore Caruso
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 05:24 pm
That's All You Gotta Do
Brenda Lee

[Written by Jerry Reed]

Anytime you're feeling low
And you got no place to go
You don't have to be blue
Here is all you gotta do

Call me on the telephone
Tell me that you're all alone
And I'll come a runnin' to you
Baby that's all you gotta do

All you gotta do when you're lonesome
Is to call on me
As a fast as I can

I'll love and squeeze you
Uh-huh-huh
I'll try to please you
'Cause baby, I want you to be my lovin' man

I've been waiting for the chance
Needing you to start a romance
And if you feel the same way too
Here's all you gotta do

Tell me just a how you feel
Tell me that your love is real
And I'll give my heart to you
Baby, that's all you gotta do

---- Instrumental Interlude ----

All you gotta do when you're lonesome
Is to call on me
As a fast as I can

Uh-huh-huh
I'll love and squeeze you
Uh-huh-huh
I'll try to please you
'Cause baby, I want you to be my lovin' man

I've been waitin' for the chance
Needing you to start a romance
And if you feel the same way too
Here's all you gotta do

Tell me just a how you feel
Tell me that your love is real
And I'll give my heart to you
Baby, that's all you gotta do
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 05:31 pm
FATS DOMINO - I'M GONNA BE A WHEEL SOMEDAY

A# A#

A#
I'm gonna be a wheel someday
I'm gonna be somebody
I'm gonna be a real gone cat
C A#
Then I won't want you
Everything's gonna go my way
and I won't need nobody
C A#
Then I won't want you

D#
You can cry
A#
While you were high high high
C
If you were wondering why I don't look at you
F
When I go rolling by

A#
I'm gonna be a wheel someday
I'm gonna be somebody
C A#
Then I won't want you

A#////// C A#/////// C# D# A# C F A#/////// C A#|

A# A#

A#
I'm gonna be a wheel oneday
I'm gonna be somebody
C A#
Then I won't want you
A#
Everything's gonna go my way
and I won't need nobody
C A#
Then I won't want you

D#
You can cry
A#
While you were high high high
C
If you were wondering why I don't look at you
F
When I go rolling by

A#
I'm gonna be a wheel oneeday
I'm gonna be somebody
C A#
Then I won't want you

A#////// C A#
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 05:32 pm
Hot Frogs on the Loose

By the light of the Tennessee moon
From the bilious bubbles of a black lagoon
They make a hound dog howl a SWAT team swoon
Hot frogs on the loose

They've multiplied since '53
Slurping nuclear debris
Amphibious fabulous fancy free
Hot frogs on the loose

Hippity hoppity here they come
Radioactive lookin' for fun
If you kiss 'em look out for the tongue
Hot frogs on the loose

They got little skinny legs and big bug eyes
Fraternizing's not advised
They like you like they like flies
Hot frogs on the loose

They got a chicken nugget body and a whopper leap
In your bedroom while you sleep
They'll make your Geiger counter beep
Hot frogs on the loose

You can put the pedal to the metal till the rubber squeals
Squish 'em with your tires you got hot wheels
How you know how it feels to be a
Hot frog on the loose

Please do not keep them as pets
Sauteing them may bring regrets
Make a citizen's arrest of a
Hot frog on the loose

Frogs for peace frogs for defense
Don't be nervous don't be tense
We've got a sure-fire three-foot fence
To keep the hot frogs from gettin loose
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 05:37 pm
Carole King - Smackwater Jack

Now, Smackwater Jack,
He bought a shotgun
'Cause he was in the mood
For a little confrontation.
He just a-let it all hang loose;
He didn't think about the noose.
He couldn't take no more abuse
So he shot down the congregation.

You can't talk to a man
With a shotgun in his hand.

Now, Big Jim the chief
Stood for law and order.
He called for the guard to come
And surround the border.
Now, from his bulldog mouth,
As he led the posse south,
Came the cry, "We got to ride
To clean up the streets
For our wives and our daughters!"

You can't talk to a man
When he don't wanna understand.
No, no, no, no, no.

The account of the capture
Wasn't in the papers,
But you know, they hanged ol' Smack right then
Instead of later.
You know, the people were quite pleased
'Cause the outlaw had been seized
And on the whole, it was a very good year
For the undertaker.

You know, you know, you can't talk to a man
With a shotgun in his hand.
A shotgun in his hand.
Smackwater Jack bought a shotgun.
Yeah, Smackwater Jack bought a shotgun.
Oh, Smackwater Jack, yeah.
Talkin' 'bout Smackwater Jack, yeah.
Talkin' 'bout a-Smackwater Jack, now.
Talkin' 'bout Smack.
Talkin' 'bout Jack.
Smackwater Jack, yeah.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 05:52 pm
Well, edgar, all ya gotta do is be a wheel and the world is at your feet. Thanks for Brenda and Fats, Texas.

My goodness, folks, there's that cowboy in the company of frogs and kings. Where have you been?

The weather is wild here. The wind is coming on strong; as a matter of record it reminds me of this Carol song.

I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down
I feel my heart start to trembling
Whenever you're around

Oh baby When I see your face
Mellow as the month of May
Oh darling I cant stand it
When you look at me that way

I feel my heart start to trembling
Whenever you're around

Oh darling When you're near me
And you tenderly call my name
I know that, My emotions
Are something I just cant tame
Ive just got to have you baby

I just lose control
Down to my very soul
I get hot and cold all over

tumbling down, tumbling down...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 06:47 pm
just got home from seeing tai chi on her birthday, we had a nice little get together with some extended family, and then tai and her husband went off to a little port town (port dover) for a perch and pickerel dinner, and overnight stay and some shopping tomorrow before heading home

here's what john prine had to say about fishing

Fish And Whistle
John Prine

I been thinking lately about the people I meet
The carwash on the corner and the hole in the street
The way my ankles hurt with shoes on my feet
And I'm wondering if I'm gonna see tomorrow.

Father forgive us for what we must do
You forgive us we'll forgive you
We'll forgive each other till we both turn blue
Then we'll whistle and go fishing in heaven.

I was in the army but I never dug a trench
I used to bust my knuckles on a monkey wrench
Then I'd go to town and drink and give the girls a pinch
But I don't think they ever even noticed me.

Fish and whistle, whistle and fish
Eat everything that they put on your dish
And when we get through we'll make a big wish
That we never have to do this again again? again????

On my very first job I said thank you and please
They made me scrub a parking lot down on my knees
Then I got fired for being scared of bees
And they only give me fifty cents an hour.

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:21 pm
How delightful, dj. I wondered what had happened to Tai.

Well, Canada, I love that song by John Prine, especially this line that gave me a smile:

"...you forgive us; we'll forgive you.."

Needed that smile tonight, folks, 'cause I just saw where another desperate man killed himself and one of his hostages in a NASA building in Texas.

So, let me say goodnight with a song from John Prine that is a pleasant memory. (Thanks, dj, for introducing me to your John)

Sabu Visits the Twin Cities Alone

The movie wasn't really doing so hot
said the new producer to the old big shot
its dying on the edge of the great Midwest
Sabu must tour or forever rest.

Hey look ma
here comes the elephant boy
bundled all up in his corduroy
headed down south towards Illinois
from the jungles of East St. Paul.

His manager sat in the office alone
staring at the numbers on the telephone
wondering how a man could send a child actor
to visit in the land of the wind chill factor.
Sabu was sad the whole tour stunk
the airlines lost the elephant's trunk
the roadie got the rabies and the scabies and the flu
they was low on morale but they was high on (dew?)

Goodnight, all

From Letty with love
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:59 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:09 am
Silvana Mangano

Silvana Mangano (April 21,[1] 1930 - December 16, 1989) was an Italian actress.

Known for her appearance, at a young age she won a Miss Rome beauty pageant, which led her to cinema. The movie that brought her to stardom was Bitter Rice and she continued to have success in cinema without ever surpassing Sophia Loren or Gina Lollobrigida's level of stardom.

Biography

Born in Rome to an Italian father and an English mother, Mangano lived in poor times caused by the war. Trained for seven years as a dancer, she was supporting herself as a model.

In 1946, at age 16, Mangano won the Miss Rome beauty pageant and through this she obtained a rôle in a Mario Costa movie. One year later she became a contestant in the Miss Italia contest. Potential actress Lucia Bosé became "The Queen", among Mangano and several other future stars of Italian cinema such as Gina Lollobrigida, Eleonora Rossi Drago and Gianna Maria Canale.

Mangano's earliest connection with filmmaking occurred through her romantic relationship with actor Marcello Mastroianni. This led her to a movie contract, though it would take some time for Mangano to ascend to international stardom with her stunning performance in Bitter Rice (Riso Amaro, Giuseppe De Santis, 1949). Thereafter, she signed a contract with Lux Films, in 1949, and later married Dino De Laurentiis, on the verge of becoming a known producer.[1]

Though she never scaled the heights of her contemporaries Sophia Loren and Gina Lollobrigida, Mangano remained a favorite star between the 1950s and 1970s, appearing in Anna (Alberto Lattuada, 1951), The Gold of Naples (L'oro di Napoli, Vittorio De Sica, 1954), Mambo (Robert Rossen, 1955), Theorem (Teorema, Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1968), and Death in Venice (Morte a Venezia, Luchino Visconti, 1971).

Married to Bitter Rice producer Dino De Laurentiis, Mangano had four children, one of whom, daughter Raffaella, coproduced with her father on Mangano's next-to-last film, Dune (David Lynch, 1984). Her granddaughter is Giada De Laurentiis, hostess of Everyday Italian on the Food Network.

Following surgery on December 4, 1989 that left her in a coma, Mangano died of lung cancer in Madrid, Spain during the late night/early morning hours between the 15th and the 16th of December 1989.[1]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:13 am
Charles Grodin

Charles Grodin (born April 21, 1935 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA) is an American actor and former cable talk show host.

Biography

Early life

Grodin was born in Pittsburgh to Orthodox Jewish American parents Theodore Grodin, who sold wholesale supplies, and Lena, who worked as an assistant in the family's store; his maternal grandfather was a Russian Jewish immigrant who came from a long line of Rabbis and moved to Pittsburgh at the turn of the 20th century. He has an older brother, Jack.

Grodin attended the University of Miami, but did not graduate. His first acting role was in a 1962 Broadway production of Tchin-Tchin. He made his film debut in the 1964 comedy, Sex and the College Girl, which was filmed in Puerto Rico and not released for several years. In 1965, he began working as an assistant to director Gene Saks.

Career

Grodin, a student of Lee Strasberg and Uta Hagen, began appearing on several television series during the 1960s, and played an obstetrician in the 1968 horror film, Rosemary's Baby. During the late 1960s, he also co-wrote and directed Hooray! It's a Glorious Day...and All That, a Broadway play, and directed Lovers and Other Strangers, also on Broadway.

After having a supporting role in 1970's comedy, Catch-22, Grodin was cast in the lead role of the film The Heartbreak Kid, which was released in 1972 and gained Grodin recognition as a comedy actor. He subsequently appeared in several notable 1970s films, including the 1976 version of King Kong and the hit 1978 comedy, Heaven Can Wait. During this period, he frequently appeared on Broadway, and was also involved in producing several plays, including Thieves, which he also directed.

In 1977, Grodin hosted an episode of the NBC sketch show, Saturday Night Live. He and the writers decided beforehand to play the show as if he had missed dress rehearsals and was clumsily ad-libbing his way through his sketches. Much like Andy Kaufman before him, his comic scenario was taken a bit too literally by the audience, and he was never asked to host again.

His 1980s roles included Neil Simon's Seems Like Old Times, opposite Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn, and 1988's well-reviewed comedy, Midnight Run, a buddy movie co-starring Robert De Niro.

Grodin's career took a turn in 1992, when he played the nervous family man in the kids' comedy Beethoven, opposite Bonnie Hunt. The film was a surprise box-office hit, and he reprised the role in the 1993 sequel. His last film role to date was in 1994's It Runs in the Family (a.k.a. My Summer Story), which received only a limited release and was a sequel to the film A Christmas Story. After a 12-year long hiatus from film, Grodin will return to acting in the Zach Braff comedy The Ex.

Grodin was a commentator for 60 Minutes II starting in 2000, and hosted his own issues-oriented talk show, The Charles Grodin Show, on CNBC from 1995 to 1998. In 2004, Grodin wrote The Right Kind of People, an off-Broadway play about Co-op boards in certain buildings in Manhattan.

Grodin's commentaries continue to be heard on New York City radio station WCBS and other affiliates of the CBS Radio Network, as well as on the CBS Radio Network's Weekend Roundup.

Grodin is also a best-selling author; his works include It Would Be So Nice If You Weren't Here, Spilled Milk and Other Clichés and How I Get Through Life.

Usually adopts a faux antagonistic attitude during his semi-regular appearances on The Late Show with David Letterman. Seemingly miffed or angry, his act is strictly tongue-in-cheek as he lobs verbal attacks at the host.

Personal life

Grodin has a daughter, Marion, from his first marriage. He is currently married and has a son from the marriage, Nicky (born 1988).
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:18 am
Andie MacDowell

Birth name Rosalie Anderson MacDowell
Born April 21, 1958 (1958-04-21) (age 49)
Gaffney, South Carolina,
United States
Spouse(s) Paul Qualley (1986-1999)
Rhett Hartzog (2001-2004)
Notable roles Ann in sex, lies, and videotape
Carrie in Four Weddings and a Funeral
Rita in Groundhog Day

Andie MacDowell (born Rosalie Anderson MacDowell on April 21, 1958 in Gaffney, South Carolina) is an American screen actress.

Life and work

MacDowell dropped out of Winthrop College as a sophomore in 1978 and signed with Elite Model Management. She appeared in print and television advertisements for the cosmetic and haircare company L'Oreal, a job she continued after she got her first role as an actress. A series of television commercials for Calvin Klein drew attention to her and led to her 1984 film debut in Greystoke - The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes, a role in which her lines were rerecorded by Glenn Close because her southern accent was too pronounced. In 1985, she had a small part in St. Elmo's Fire, but her film career seemed to have stalled.

Four years later, MacDowell hit her professional stride. Director Steven Soderbergh cast her in the 1989 independent film sex, lies, and videotape; her performance earned her several award nominations and led to a series of starring roles in films such as Green Card, The Object of Beauty, and Short Cuts.

As of 2006, her biggest successes were in the box office hits Groundhog Day and Four Weddings and a Funeral. The latter was a critical and commercial success and did much to make leading man Hugh Grant a star, although it has to be noted that MacDowell's performance in the film has been a source of ridicule in the United Kingdom ever since. In particular, her delivery of the line "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed." has been featured on clip shows as a memorably excruciating cinematic moment.[1] The film remains popular nonetheless.

MacDowell was married from 1986 to 1999 to fellow former model and rancher Paul Qualley, whom she met while both were posing for GAP ads. The couple have a son and two daughters. She was married to Atlanta, Georgia businessman Rhett Hartzog from 2001 to 2004.

MacDowell currently resides in Biltmore Forest, North Carolina.
0 Replies