Prince

Tracy died soon after a long fought civil war,
just after I'd wiped away his last tear
I guess he's better off than he was before,
A whole lot better off than the fools he left here
I used 2 cry 4 Tracy because he was my only friend
Those kind of cars don't pass u every day
I used 2 cry 4 Tracy because I wanted to see him again,
But sometimes sometimes life ain't always the way...

Sometimes it snows in April
Sometimes I feel so bad, so bad
Sometimes I wish life was never ending,
and all good things, they say, never last

Springtime was always my favorite time of year,
A time 4 lovers holding hands in the rain
Now springtime only reminds me of Tracy's tears
Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain
He used 2 say so strong unafraid to die
Unafraid of the death that left me hypnotized
No, staring at his picture I realized
No one could cry the way my Tracy cried

Sometimes I feel so bad
Sometimes, sometimes I wish that life was never ending,
And all good things, they say, never last

I often dream of heaven and I know that Tracy's there
I know that he has found another friend
Maybe he's found the answer 2 all the April snow
Maybe one day I'll see my Tracy again

Sometimes I feel so bad, so bad
Sometimes I wish that life was never ending,
But all good things, they say, never last

All good things that say, never last
And love, it isn't love until it's past
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:06 pm
Nothing civil about a war, is there, edgar. Yes, that is a real yet depressing song, Texas.

This has been one of those days, folks. We all learned something from Bob and I just finished searching for the movie, The Majestic. Never did care for Jim Carrey, but his performance in that flick was excellent.

Check it out, listeners. It's worth the watch.

Here is a song from that movie as done by Diana Krall

Album: The Look Of Love
Lyrics by: Johnny Mercer
Music by: Victor Schertzinger

I remember you, you're the one who made my dreams come true, a few kisses ago.
I remember you, you're the one who said I love you too, I do, didn't you know?
I remember too a distant bell, and stars that fell like rain out of the blue.
When my life is through and the angels ask me to recall the thrill of them all,
Then I shall tell them, I remember you.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:00 pm
here are some good , ole canadian boys :

"the barenaked ladies"

http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/artd/amg/music/bio/400979_barenaked_200x200.jpg

Quote:

THE OLD APARTMENT
----------------------------
Broke into the old apartment
This is where we used to live
Broken glass, broke and hungry
Broken hearts and broken bones

Why did you paint the walls?
Why did you clean the floor?
Why did you plaster over the hole I punched in the door?

Why did you keep the mousetrap?
Why did you keep the dishrack?
these things used to be mine
I guess they still are, I want them back

Fortytwo stairs from the street
Crooked landing, crooked landlord
Narrow laneway filled with crooks

Why did they pave the lawn?
why did they change the locks?
Why did I have to break it, I only came here to talk

How is the neighbour downstairs?
How is her temper this year?
I turned up your TV and stomped on the floor just for fun
I know we don't live here anymore
We bought an old house on the Danforth
She loves me and her body keeps me warm
I'm happy here
But this is where we used to live

Tore the phone out of the wall
Only memories, fading memories
Blending into dull tableaux

I want them back
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:20 pm
Hey, hbg. That was a sad song, Canada. How about a little levity?

Here are Bi-Polarbear's naked ladies;

http://library.thinkquest.org/3500/images/polarbearsplaying_large.jpg

And a song about your grizzly:

The preacher went out a huntin', it was on one Sunday morn'
It was against his religion, but he took a shotgun along
He got himself a mess a' mighty fine quail and one old scraggly hare
And on the way home he crossed the path of a Great big grizzly bear

Well the bear got down lookin' ready to charge
The preacher never seen nothin' quite that large
They looked each other right smack in the eye
Didn't take that preacher long to say bye
The preacher he run till he spotted a tree
He said "up in that tree's where I auta be"
By the time that bear made a grab for him
The preacher was a sittin' on top a that limb
Scared to death, he tuned about
He looked to the sky and began to shout,

Chorus;
Hey lord, you delivered Daniel from the bottom of the lion's den
You delivered Joana, from the belly of the whale and then,
The Hebrew children from the fiery furnace so the good books do declare
Hey lord, if you can't help me, for goodness sake don't help that bear

Ya, look out preacher
Well, about that time the limb broke off and the preacher came tumblin' down
Had a straight razor out of his pocket by the time he lit on the ground
He landed on his feet right in front a that bear and lord what an awful fight
The preacher and the bear and the razor and the hair flyin' from left to right

Well first they was up and then they was down, the preacher and the bear runnin' round n' round
The bear he roared and the the preacher he groaned, he was havin' a tough time holdin' his own
He said Lord if I get out a here alive, to the good book I'll abide
No more huntin' on the Sabbath day, come Sunday I'm headin' to the church to pray
Up to the heavens the preacher glanced, he said Lord won't you give me just one more chance
So the preacher got away, he looked around seen a tree where he'd be safe and sound
Jumped on a limb, turned about, looked to the sky and began to shout.

Chorus.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:56 pm
so here is a little "levity" by stompin tom Laughing
TTC = toronto transit commission :wink:
skidaddler = streetcar driver
big red rattler = the red rocket Laughing = streetcar
http://toronto.photobloggers.org/_photos/codexlagman_030g.sized.jpg

Quote:
I'm a TTC Skidaddler yeah to sockit to my big red rattler-
Ya to sockit to my big red rattler

I've been a streetcar driver now about eleven years
& I know the old Toronto city well
There's a whole lotta people who wait along the track
For the signal from my clangin trolley bell...
Chorus:
Put the pole upon the wire now and open up the switch-
It's time to get old rattler sparkin through.
She's red around the bottom and she's yellow on the top
And I drive er' like a driver oughta do...
Chorus:
I love my little wife at home I love my couple kids
They often take the trolley to the park-
They know their daddy's drivin the people here and there,
But I'll be back again to pick them up at dark.
Chorus:
Don't forget your ticket when I open up the door-
Kindly make your way along the aisle
I'll drive ya down to work and I'll safely bring ya back
And I'll try to render service with a smile
Chorus:
I'm a TTC skidaddler...
I been a street car driver now about eleven years
And I know the old Toronto city well
There's a whole lot of people who wait along the track.
For the signal from my clangin trolley bell.
Chorus:
Ya ta sockit to my big red rattler repeat 3 times
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 03:14 pm
Great, hbg, but you're a long way from St. Louis.

http://www.artcom.com/Museums/vs/sz/552.jpg

Judy, Judy, Judy

Clang, clang, clang went the trolley, ding, ding, ding went the bell,
Zing, zing, zing went my heart strings, from the moment I saw him I fell.
Chug, chug, chug went the motor, bump, bump, bump went the brake,
Thump, thump, thump went my heart strings, when he smiled I could feel the car shake.
He tipped his hat, and took a seat, he said he hoped he hadn't stepped upon my feet.
He asked my name, I held my breath.
I couldn't speak because he scared me half to death.
Chug, chug, chug went the motor, pop, pop, pop went the wheels,
Stop, stop, stop went my heart strings,
As he started to go then I started to know how it feels, when the universe reels.
The day was bright, the air was sweet,
The smell of honeysuckle charmed you off your feet.
You tried to sing, but couldn't squeak, in fact you loved him so you couldn't even speak.
Buzz, buzz, buzz went the buzzer, plop, plop, plop went the wheels,
Stop, stop, stop went my heart strings,
As he started to leave, I took hold of his sleeve with my hand,
And as if it were planned, he stayed on with me and it was grand just to stand
With his hand holding mine to the end of the line.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:44 pm
letty :
is there still regular streetcar service in st. louis ?
toronto is the only canadian city that still has streetcars - and they provide very good service .

now we are going way up north to the ACR = "algoma central railway" running services out of sault st marie - it's mainly freight service to the mines in northern ontario - with some tourist fall excursions

http://www.trainnet.org/Libraries/Lib016/AC185.GIF

stompin tom and the algoma 69
Quote:
She's on a bar hoppin spree back in Sault Ste. Marie,
Because of me she's now fallen star.
She could have been true, but I left her in the Soo,
& I travelled north upon the ACR
Chorus:
But if it's go home or be a roamer I've made up my mind
So take me home tonight Algoma Central 69

I was workin one day when I heard this fella say
he met my girl while drinkin at the bar
Though we fought between us two, still he swore that it was true-
Now I curse that day I rode the ACR
Chorus: But if it's go home or be a roamer, I've made up my mind..
Solo
Though it might be in vain, here I wait for the train,
I hope it's not too late to right the wrong
When she rolls around the bend, we'll be southbound again,
C'mon old ACR wheels move along.

First Verse:
She's on a bar hoppin spree, back in S. S. Marie,
Because of me she's now a fallen star
She could have been true, but I left her in the Soo,
& I travelled north upon the A.C.R.-
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:15 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:23 am
R.G. Armstrong
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert Golden Armstrong, better known as R.G. Armstrong, is an American actor and playwright. A character actor who appeared in dozens of Westerns over the course of his career, he is most well-remembered for his work with director Sam Peckinpah.

Early Life

Armstrong was born in Birmingham, Alabama on April 7, 1917. He came from a family of religious fundamentalists, and his mother wanted him to be a pastor. Armstrong, however, became interested in acting, and while attending the University of North Carolina, he began acting on stage with the Carolina Playmakers. Upon graduation he attended the Actor's Studio and quickly launched a career on Broadway. He won considerable acclaim for his role as Big Daddy in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Armstrong also began writing his own plays, which were performed off-Broadway.

Film and Television Career

Armstrong's first film appearance was in the 1954 movie Garden of Eden. It was television, however, where he first earned a name for himself. He guest starred in virtually every TV Western produced in the '50s and '60s, including: Have Gun - Will Travel, The Californians, The Rifleman, Zane Grey Theater, Wanted: Dead or Alive, The Westerner, Bonanza, Maverick, Gunsmoke, Rawhide and Wagon Train. He also appeared on The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Andy Griffith Show, The Fugitive, Perry Mason, T.H.E. Cat, Hawaii Five-O, Starsky and Hutch, The Dukes of Hazzard, and Dynasty.

While working on The Westerner, Armstrong made the acquaintance of up-and-coming writer/director Sam Peckinpah. The two immediately struck up a friendship. Peckinpah recognized Armstrong's inner turmoil regarding the religious beliefs of his family, and utilized that to brilliant effect in his films. Armstrong would almost always play a slightly unhinged fundamentalist Christian in Peckinpah's films, usually wielding a Bible in one hand and a shotgun in the other. This character archetype appeared in Ride the High Country (1962), Major Dundee (1965), The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970), and, perhaps most memorably, in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973).

Even outside of Peckinpah's work, however, Armstrong became a tier-one character actor in his own right, appearing in dozens of films over his career. Some of his more memorable roles outside of Peckinpah's films include a sympathetic rancher in El Dorado (1966), Cap'n Dan in The Great White Hope (1970), outlaw Clell Miller in The Great Northfield, Minnesota Raid (1972), a bumbling outlaw in My Name is Nobody (1973), a major role in Children of the Corn (1984), and as the General in Predator (1987), as well as small parts in Warren Beatty's films Heaven Can Wait (1978) and Reds (1981), as well as a major role as the villain Pruneface in Dick Tracy (1990).

Despite being typecast as gruff and violent characters throughout his career, Armstrong is well-known for having a warm and affable personality offscreen. He has been married twice, to Susan Guthrie until 1976 and remains married to his second wife, Mary.

Armstrong is semi-retired from films, but continues to be active in off-Broadway theater.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:34 am
James Garner

Birth name James Scott Baumgarner
Born April 7, 1928 (age 79)
Norman, Oklahoma, USA
Spouse(s) Lois Clarke (17 August 1956; two children)

James Garner (born James Scott Baumgarner on April 7, 1928) is an American film and television actor. He has starred in several television series spanning a career of more than five decades, including his roles as Bret Maverick in the popular 1950s western-comedy series, Maverick, Jim Rockford in the popular 1970s detective drama, The Rockford Files and the father of Katey Sagal's character on 8 Simple Rules following the death of John Ritter. He has starred in dozens of movies, including The Great Escape (1963) and Paddy Chayefsky's The Americanization of Emily (1964).

Biography

The youngest of three children, Garner was born James Scott Bumgarner in Norman, Oklahoma to Weldon Warren Bumgarner and Mildred Meek, and is one quarter Cherokee Indian through his maternal grandfather, Charles Bailey Meek. His father was a carpet layer, and his mother died when James was four years old. After their mother's death, James and his brothers were sent to live with relatives. James was reunited with his family in 1934, when Weldon remarried. Garner grew to hate his stepmother, Wilma, who beat all three boys, but especially young James. When he was 14, James finally had enough of his 'wicked stepmother' and after a particularly heated battle, she left for good. As James' brother Jack commented, " She was a damn no-good woman".[1]

Shortly after the breakup of the marriage, Weldon Bumgarner moved to Los Angeles while Garner and his brothers remained in Norman. After working at several jobs he disliked, Garner joined the United States Merchant Marine at sixteen. He was a good worker, got along with all his buddies aboard ship, but didn't take to the sea. He suffered from chronic seasickness and couldn't shake it no matter how hard he tried. At seventeen, he joined his father in Los Angeles and enrolled at Hollywood High School, where he was voted the most popular student.

He also modeled Jantzen bathing suits at this time. It paid well, but, in his first interview for the Archives of American Television, he said he hated modeling, and soon quit and returned to Norman. There he played football and basketball for Norman High School. Later he joined the National Guard, before serving in the Army in the Korean War, where he received (2) Purple Hearts.

In 1954, a friend, Paul Gregory - whom Garner had met while attending Hollywood High School - convinced Garner to take a non-speaking role in the Broadway production of The Caine Mutiny Court Martial, where he was able to study the actor Henry Fonda at close quarters, night after night. Garner subsequently moved on to television commercials and eventually to television roles. His first movie appearances were in The Girl He Left Behind and Toward the Unknown in 1956.

He changed his last name from Baumgarner to Garner after the studio had credited him as James Garner (without permission). When his first child was born, he decided she had too many names and legally changed his surname to Garner.[2]

One of his two brothers, Jack, has also had an acting career, and similarly changed his surname to Garner. His other brother, Charlie, a non-actor, retained the Baumgarner surname.

Maverick

After forty supporting feature film roles, including the smash hit Sayonara with Marlon Brando, Garner got his big break playing the role of professional gambler Bret Maverick in the comedy Western series Maverick from 1957 to 1960. No one but Garner and series creator Roy Huggins thought the series could compete with The Ed Sullivan Show and The Steve Allen Show, but Maverick eventually made Garner a household name. Various actors had recurring roles as Maverick foils, including Efrem Zimbalist, Jr as "Dandy Jim Buckley," Richard Long as "Gentleman Jack Darby," and Diane Brewster as "Samantha Crawford," while the series veered effortlessly from comedy to adventure and back again. The relationship with Huggins, the creator and original producer of Maverick, would later pay dividends for Garner.

Garner was originally sole star of Maverick (for the first seven episodes) but production demands forced the studio, Warner Brothers, to create a Maverick brother, Bart, played by Jack Kelly. This allowed two production units to film different story lines and episodes simultaneously. The series also featured phenomenally popular cross-over episodes featuring both Maverick brothers. Critics marveled at Garner and Kelly's extraordinary chemistry in their episodes together, but Garner quit the series in the third season because of a dispute with Warner Brothers. The studio attempted to replace Garner's character with a Maverick cousin who had lived in Britain long enough to pick up an English accent, played by an eventual movie James Bond, Roger Moore, but Moore quit the series due to a decline in script quality after only 15 episodes, saying that if he'd gotten stories like Garner's early ones, he would have stayed. Warner Brothers also dressed Robert Colbert, a Garner look-alike, in Bret Maverick's outfit and called the character Brent, but Brent Maverick did not catch on with viewers and Colbert made only two episodes toward the end of the season, leaving the rest of the series' run to Kelly (alternating with reruns of episodes with Garner).

1960s movie career

In the 1960s he starred in such films as The Thrill of It All and Move Over, Darling, both with Doris Day, Boys' Night Out with Kim Novak and Tony Randall, The Great Escape, The Americanization of Emily with Julie Andrews and James Coburn, The Art of Love with Dick Van Dyke and Elke Sommer, and Support Your Local Sheriff! with Joan Hackett, Walter Brennan, Harry Morgan, and Jack Elam.

The ground-breaking racing film Grand Prix gave Garner a fascination with car racing. Directed by John Frankenheimer, the movie is regarded as the best racing film of all time by many motor sports enthusiasts. Unlike Paul Newman and Steve McQueen, Garner was not as successful in his real-life racing exploits.

The Americanization of Emily, a literate anti-war D-Day comedy, featured a script by Paddy Chayefsky and has remained Garner's favorite of all his work. In The Great Escape, Garner played the second lead, supporting fellow ex-TV series cowboy Steve McQueen.

In 1969, Garner joined a long list of actors to play Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe, in Marlowe. Chandler had written the character while visualizing Cary Grant in the role (not unusual for a writer of the era), but Grant never took the part himself. Dick Powell, Humphrey Bogart, Robert Mitchum, and even Elliot Gould all took turns at it, but only Garner's version features Bruce Lee dropping by his office to smash everything into pieces in one of the first displays of Kung Ku techniques in popular media.

Nichols

In 1971, Garner returned to television in an extremely offbeat western called Nichols. The motorcycle-riding character was killed in what became the final episode of the single-season series. Garner was re-cast as the character's more normal twin brother, in the hopes of creating a more popular series with few cast changes. It was Garner's favorite TV series outing, but was nearly as unpopular as Maverick had been sensationally successful. The network changed the show's title to James Garner as Nichols during its second month in a vain attempt to rally the sagging ratings. According to Garner's videotaped Archive of American Television interview, Garner had Nichols killed in the last episode so that a sequel could never be filmed.

The Rockford Files

In the 1970s, Roy Huggins had an idea to redo Maverick, but this time as a modern-day private detective. Huggins teamed with co-creator and eventual TV icon Stephen J. Cannell, and the pair tapped Garner to attempt to rekindle the phenomenal success of Maverick, eventually recycling many of the plots from the original series. Starting with the 1974 season, Garner was back on television as private investigator Jim Rockford in The Rockford Files. For six seasons, the iconoclastic scripts stood Garner in good stead and many consider Rockford his best role, for which he received an Emmy Award for Best Actor in 1977. Actor Noah Beery, Jr., nephew of screen legend Wallace Beery, played Rockford's father, while Gretchen Corbett portrayed Rockford's lawyer and sometime lover until she left the series over a salary dispute with the studio. Garner also invited yet another familiar actor Joe Santos, who played Rockford's friend in the Los Angeles Police Department, Detective Dennis Becker. As with Beery, Garner had had a close bond with Santos over the years. Rounding out the cast was an unfamiliar actor, and another friend of Garner's who had previously co-starred with him on Nichols, Stuart Margolin, playing Jim's ex-cellmate and less-than-trustworthy friend 'Angel' Martin.

Critics noted that The Rockford Files took iconoclasm to new heights, by cynically portraying almost everyone in authority as mean-spirited, wrong-headed, or plain stupid.

Garner himself ultimately pulled the plug on the show, despite consistently high ratings, because of the high physical toll on his body. Appearing in practically every frame of film, doing many of his own stunts-- including one that injured his back-- was wearing him out. A knee injury from his National Guard days worsened in the wake of the continuous jumping and rolling, and he was hospitalized with a bleeding ulcer in 1979, some years before successful treatments for ulcers were discovered.

In July 1981, Garner filed suit against Universal Studios for $22.5 million in connection with his on-going dispute from "The Rockford Files". The suit charged Universal with, "breach of contract, failure to deal in good faith and fairly, and fraud and deceit.[3] It was eventually settled out of court a decade later.

Bret Maverick at 53

After a rest, Garner returned to his most popular TV role in 1981 in the revival series Bret Maverick, but NBC unexpectedly cancelled the show after only one season despite reasonably good ratings. Critics noted that most of the scripts didn't measure up to the first series, though Garner's performance as a 53-year-old Bret Maverick was almost universally applauded. Jack Kelly (Bart Maverick) was slated to become a series regular had the series been picked up for another season, and he appeared in the last scene of the final episode in a surprise guest role.

TV movies

During the 1980s, Garner played dramatic roles in a number of TV movies, from Heartsounds (with Mary Tyler Moore) to Promise (starring Piper Laurie) and My Name is Bill W.. He was nominated for his first Oscar award for Best Actor in a Leading Role in the movie Murphy's Romance, opposite Sally Field. Field had to fight the studio to have Garner cast, since he was regarded as a TV actor by then despite having co-starred in the box office hit Victor/Victoria opposite Julie Andrews three years earlier. Apparently the fight was worth it, as in A&E's biography of Garner, Field reported that her on-screen kiss with Garner was the best cinematic kiss she had ever experienced.

In 1988 Garner underwent quintuple heart bypass surgery. Though he rapidly recovered, the doctors insisted that he stop smoking. In 1993, he played the lead in another well-received TV-movie, Barbarians at the Gate, and went on to reprise his role as Jim Rockford in eight The Rockford Files made-for-TV movies, beginning the following year. The frenetic opening theme song from the original series was rerecorded and slowed to a funereal pace, and practically everyone in the original cast of recurring characters returned for the new episodes, except Beery who had died.

Man of the People

In 1991 Garner starred in Man of the People, a television series about a con man chosen to fill an empty seat on a city council, with Kate Mulgrew and Corinne Bohrer. Despite reasonably fair ratings, the show was canceled after only 10 episodes.

Wyatt Earp

Garner played Wyatt Earp in two very different movies shot 21 years apart, Hour of the Gun in 1967 and Sunset in 1988. The first film was a realistic depiction of the OK Corral shootout and its aftermath, while the second centered around a fictional relationship between Earp and silent movie cowboy star Tom Mix. The film featured Bruce Willis as Mix in only his second movie role. Although Willis was billed over Garner, the film actually gave more screen time and more emphasis to Earp. Malcolm McDowell played a villainous silent comedian.

In 1994 Garner played an extremely Earp-like role as Marshal Zane Cooper in a movie version of Maverick, with Mel Gibson as Bret Maverick (in the end it is revealed that Garner's character is the father of Gibson's Maverick) and Jodie Foster as a gambling lass with a fake southern accent.

In 1995 he played lead character Woodrow Call, an ex-lawman, in the TV miseries sequel to Lonesome Dove, Streets of Laredo, based on Larry McMurtry's book. The original Lonesome Dove story had been written as a movie script for a 1960s film to be directed by Peter Bogdanovich and starring John Wayne, James Stewart, and Henry Fonda, but Wayne turned the part down on John Ford's advice and Stewart backed out as a result, so the movie was abandoned and McMurtry later turned the script into a full-scale novel, Lonesome Dove, which eventually became a revered television miniseries with Tommy Lee Jones in the Wayne role, Robert Duvall in the Stewart part, and Robert Urich filling in for Fonda as the cowboy regretfully hanged by his own friends. Garner had been offered Robert Duvall's role in the original miniseries but had to turn it down for health reasons, and eventually wound up playing the part first portrayed by Tommy Lee Jones and originally created for John Wayne instead.

Later work in TV and movies

In 1996 Garner and Jack Lemmon teamed up in the largely underrated My Fellow Americans, playing two former presidents, both framed for scandalous activity in their days in the White House.

In addition to a major recurring role during the last part of the run of TV series Chicago Hope, Garner also starred in a couple of short-lived series, the animated God, the Devil and Bob and First Monday, in which he played a Supreme Court justice.

In 2000, after an operation to replace both knees, Garner appeared with Clint Eastwood (who'd played a villain in the original Maverick series) in the movie Space Cowboys, also featuring Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland. During a mass appearance by the cast on television's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Leno ran a brief clip from Garner and Eastwood's lengthy saloon fistfight during Eastwood's Maverick appearance over forty years earlier.

Upon the death of John Ritter in 2003, Garner joined the cast of 8 Simple Rules as Grandpa Egan (Cate's father). Originally intended to be a one-shot guest role, he stayed with the series until its end.

In 2004 Garner starred in the movie version of Nicholas Spark's The Notebook alongside Gena Rowlands as his wife (played in flashbacks by Rachel McAdams), directed by Nick Cassavetes, Rowlands' son.

In 2006, a ten-foot tall statue of James Garner as Bret Maverick was unveiled in Garner's hometown of Norman, Oklahoma, with Garner present at the ceremony.

The tall dark stranger

For his contribution to the film and television industry, Garner received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (at 6927 Hollywood Boulevard). In 1990, he was inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. In February 2005 he received the Screen Actor's Guild's Lifetime Achievement Award. When actor Morgan Freeman won an award that Garner had also been nominated for, Freeman affectionately led the delighted audience in a lively sing-along of the original Maverick theme song, written by David Buttolph and Paul Francis Webster:

Who is the tall dark stranger there?
Maverick is his name.
Riding the trail to who-knows-where
Luck is his companion
Gamblin' is his game.

Smooth as the handle on a gun.
Maverick is his name.
Wild as the wind in Oregon
Blowin' up a canyon/ Easier to tame.

Riverboat ring your bell.
Fare-thee-well Annabelle.
Luck is the lady that he loves the best.
Natchez to New Orleans.
Livin' on jacks and queens.
Maverick is the legend of the west.

Quotes

" Smart intrigues me. I'm very wry and off-beat. I'm not going to make you fall down and laugh. I don't do comedy. I do humor!"[4]

" 'Rockford', I believe, has been the most successful series I ever had. It was the most fun and to come out with a total loss really dimmed my eagerness. It broke my heart. They're bad people. I don't like to work with bad people. It hurt me physically, financially, and mentally."[5]

Politics

Garner is a staunch Democrat. For his role in the 1985 CBS miniseries Space, the character's party affiliation was changed from a Republican (as in the book) to reflect Garner's personal views. Prior to the entry of ex-San Francisco Mayor (later U.S. Senator) Dianne Feinstein, there was an effort by party leaders to persuade James Garner to seek the 1990 Democratic nomination for Governor of California.

Motorsports

Garner was an owner of the "American International Racers" (AIR) auto racing team from 1967 through 1969. The team fielded cars at Le Mans, Daytona, and Sebring endurance races, but is best known for Garner's celebrity status raising publicity in the early off-road motorsport events [1]. Garner signed a three-year sponsorship contract with American Motors Corporation (AMC) [2]. His shops prepared ten 1969 SC/Ramblers for the Baja 500 race [3]. Garner did not drive in this event because of a film commitment in Spain that year. Nevertheless, seven of his cars finished the grueling race, taking three of the top five places in the sedan class [4]. Garner also drove the pace car at the Indianapolis 500 race in 1975, 1977, and 1985 (see: list of Indianapolis 500 pace cars).

Interviews

In his book, The Art of the Interview: Lessons from a Master of the Craft, Lawrence Grobel quoted a portion of an interview he had done with Garner:

In 1994 I interviewed James Garner, who told me that when he was four his mother died and a year later his father remarried "a nasty Bitch" who "used to beat the hell out of me" I asked him if she was the one who made him wear a dress and called him Louise if he did anything wrong.

Garner: Yeah, where did you find that out? It was out in the country and we'd be in some little store and I'd just go hide because it would embarrass me terribly. Then my brothers would tease me and call me Louise and a fight would break out.

Q: How often did that happen?

Garner: Oh gosh, a lot. If I did anything wrong I'd have to go put on the dress.

Q: At what point did you fight back?

Garner: At around thirteen. I decked her. I had her on the bed, choking her. My dad and my brother pulled me off of her. I can understand how kids can rebel to the point of murder. I don't agree with it, but I don't know what I'd have done - because she was tough. Tough. I'm sure I wouldn't have let go of her until she quit breathing because she'd have killed me if she got up. Then they held me down so she could ship me. But that's the night that broke up the marriage with my dad and her.[6]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:37 am
John Oates

John Oates (born John William Oates on April 7, 1949 in New York City) is an American musician and producer best known as half of successful duo Hall & Oates.

Background

Oates attended North Penn High School in suburban Philadelphia. He is married to Aimee Oates, and his son Tanner John Oates was born on June 19, 1996. John Oates is of Italian descent on his mother's side and Spanish-Moorish on his father's side.

In 1985, Oates co-wrote and produced the single "Love Is Fire" by Canadian pop group Parachute Club, which was performed as a duet between Oates and Parachute Club lead singer Lorraine Segato. The song became a top 40 hit in Canada, and Oates also produced several other tracks on the band's album Small Victories.

He also co-wrote "Electric Blue", a hit single by Icehouse, with Iva Davies.

Despite 30 years as a chart-topping performer and sought after producer, he did not release a solo album until 2002's Phunk Shui.

Oates took part, along with Jamie Cullum, in the song "Greatest Mistake" by Handsome Boy Modeling School. The song appears on the 2004 album White People.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:47 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:53 am
Russell Crowe

Birth name Russell Ira Crowe
Born April 7, 1964 (age 42)
Wellington, New Zealand
Notable roles Hando in Romper Stomper (1992)
Jeffrey Wigand in The Insider (1999)
Maximus Decimus Meridius in Gladiator (2000)
John Forbes Nash in A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Jack Aubrey in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)
Academy Awards

Won: Best Actor
2000 Gladiator
Nominated: Best Actor
1999 The Insider
2001 A Beautiful Mind
Golden Globe Awards

Best Actor - Motion Picture Drama
2002 A Beautiful Mind
BAFTA Awards

Best Actor in a Leading Role
2001 A Beautiful Mind
AFI Awards

Best Actor in a Leading Role
1992 Romper Stomper
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
1991 Proof

Russell Ira Crowe (born April 7, 1964) is an Academy Award-winning New Zealand-Australian[1] film actor.

Biography

Early life

Crowe was born in Wellington, New Zealand to Jocelyn Yvonne Wemyss and John Alexander Crowe [2] both of whom were caterers; he has a brother, Terry. His maternal grandfather, Stan Wemyss, was a cinematographer who, according to Crowe, produced the first film by New Zealander Geoff Murphy,[3] and was also named an MBE for filming footage of World War II. Crowe's maternal great-great-great grandmother was a Māori,[2][4] and as a result Crowe is registered on the Māori electoral roll in New Zealand; Crowe also has Norwegian, Scottish, Irish and Welsh ancestry.[2][5][6]

When Crowe was four years old, his family moved to Australia, where his parents pursued a career in filmset catering. The producer of the Australian TV series Spyforce was his mother's godfather, and Crowe at age five or six was hired for a line of dialogue in one episode, opposite series star Jack Thompson, who years later played Crowe's father in The Sum of Us and who coincidentally had been educated at the same school which Crowe was to attend for two years: Sydney Boys High School.

As a eleven-year-old, Crowe had an early taste of fame by having his photograph (in a ballroom-dancing costume) in the February 1988 edition of National Geographic magazine, the commemorative edition for Australia's Bicentennial.

When he was 14, however, Crowe's family moved back to New Zealand, where he attended Auckland Grammar School with his cousins Martin Crowe and Jeff Crowe. He did not complete secondary school, leaving early to help his family financially. In the mid-1980s Russell, under guidance from his good friend Tom Sharplin, performed as a rock 'n' roll revivalist, under the stage name Russ Le Roq, and had a New Zealand single with "I Wanna Be Marlon Brando."

Crowe returned to Australia at age 21, intending to apply to the National Institute of Dramatic Art. "I was working in a theater show, and talked to a guy who was then the head of technical support at NIDA," Crowe recalled. "I asked him what he thought about me spending three years at NIDA. He told me it'd be a waste of time. He said, 'You already do the things you go there to learn, and you've been doing it for most of your life, so there's nothing to teach you but bad habits.'"[7] In 1987 Crowe spent a six-month stint as a busker when he couldn't find other work.[8]

After appearing in the TV series Neighbours and Living with the Law, Crowe was cast in his first film, The Crossing (1990), a small-town love triangle directed by George Ogilvie. Before production started, a film-student protege of Ogilvie's, Steve Wallace, hired Crowe for the film Blood Oath (1990) (a.k.a. Prisoners of the Sun) which was released a month earlier, although actually filmed later.

In 1992, Crowe starred in the first episode of the second Series of Police Rescue.

Hollywood
After initial success in Australia, Crowe began acting in American films. He went on to become a three-time Oscar nominee, winning the Academy Award as Best Actor in 2001 for Gladiator. Crowe wore his grandfather Stan Wemyss's Member of the Order of the British Empire medal to the ceremony.

Crowe received three consecutive best actor Oscar nominations for The Insider, Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind. All three films were also nominated for best picture, and both Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind won the award. Within the six year stretch from 1997-2003, he also starred in two other best picture nominees, LA Confidential and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, though he was nominated for neither. In 2005 he re-teamed with A Beautiful Mind director Ron Howard for Cinderella Man. In 2006 he re-teamed with Gladiator director Ridley Scott for A Good Year, the first of two consecutive collaborations (the second being American Gangster, due for release in late 2007). While the light romantic comedy of A Good Year was not greatly received, Crowe seemed pleased with the film, telling stv in an interview that he thought it would be enjoyed by fans of his other films.

On March 9, 2005, Crowe revealed to GQ magazine that Federal Bureau of Investigation agents had approached him prior to the 73rd Academy Awards on March 25, 2001 and told him that the Islamist terrorist group al-Qaeda wanted to kidnap him. Crowe told the magazine that it was the first time he had ever heard of al-Qaeda (the September 11 attacks took place later that year) and was quoted as saying:

"You get this late-night call from the FBI when you arrive in Los Angeles, and they're, like, absolutely full-on. 'We've got to talk to you now before you do anything. We have to have a discussion with you, Mr. Crowe.'" Crowe recalled that "it was something to do with some recording picked up by a French policewoman, I think, in either Libya or Algiers...it was about taking iconographic Americans out of the picture as a sort of cultural-destabilization plan." [9]
Crowe was guarded by Secret Service agents for the next few months, both while shooting films and at award ceremonies (Scotland Yard also guarded Crowe while he was promoting Proof of Life in London in February 2001). Crowe said that he "...never fully understood what the **** was going on".[9] The FBI confirmed Crowe's statement (which is uncharacteristic of the agency in that it usually does not comment to the media).

Temperament

Crowe has been involved in a number of altercations in recent years which have given him a reputation for having a bad temper. When part of Crowe's appearance at the 2002 British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) awards was cut out to fit into the BBC's tape-delayed broadcast, Crowe accosted producer Malcolm Gerrie. (The part cut was a poem in tribute to actor Richard Harris who was then terminally ill.) During the filming of A Beautiful Mind on the campus of Princeton University, Crowe made an obscene gesture to Princeton student Meredith Moroney whom he spotted photographing him, which raised a media stir.[10] (The student was filming from a dormitory window. The students had been told not to interrupt the filming by college authorities.) In 1999, Crowe was involved in a scuffle at the Saloon Bar in Coffs Harbour, Australia , which was caught by a security video. In November 2002 inside a trendy Japanese restaurant in London, had a bathroom brawl with New Zealand business man and personality Eric Watson, according to onlookers it "was a beauty".

In June 2005, Crowe was arrested and charged with second degree assault by New York City police, in connection with an incident at the Mercer Hotel, SoHo, New York. Crowe threw a telephone at a hotel employee who refused to help him place a call when the system did not work from his room, and was charged with fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon (the telephone). Crowe, who was sentenced to conditional release, paid about US$100,000 to settle the civil lawsuit to the concierge, who was treated for a facial laceration. Crowe's temperament was parodied in an episode of the cartoon South Park titled "The New Terrance and Phillip Movie Trailer". In this episode, Crowe is the star of his own, fictional TV series: Russell Crowe: Fightin' Around The World, in which he travels the globe in his tug boat to instigate altercations with strangers of different nationalities. Crowe's temperament was also parodied on the Australian Seven Network skit show Big Bite in 2003. The Network Ten show The Secret Life of Us was parodied on the show as The Secret Life of Russ. The "phone incident" was parodied in Scary Movie 4 when Brenda is dreaming, one of her lines is "Look out, Russell Crowe's got a phone!"

On other occasions, however, he has been known to show compassion. Following the death of his friend, naturalist and television personality Steve Irwin, Russell remarked that Irwin was "the Australian we all aspire to be." He also recently slammed a report claiming he was hoping to portray Irwin in a biopic about his life, stating, "It's appalling to me and offends me very deeply. It's so awful that I have to deal with millions of people thinking I would dance on my friend's grave. Yes, I do think there should be a movie made about Steve but I'm not the sort of person who will be doing commerce on my friend's grave." [11]

Family and general interests

On April 7, 2003, his 39th birthday, Crowe married Australian singer and actress Danielle Spencer. Crowe met Spencer while filming The Crossing (1990). Crowe also dated American actress Meg Ryan after they had an admitted affair while filming Proof of Life (2000) and in the past, he has been linked to Erica Baxter, Peta Wilson and Courtney Love. Crowe and Spencer have two sons: Charles "Charlie" Spencer Crowe (born December 21, 2003) and Tennyson Spencer Crowe (born July 7, 2006).

He supports the Richmond Football Club in the Australian Football League [1].

Two of Russell Crowe's cousins, Martin and Jeff Crowe are former New Zealand national cricket captains.

Most of the year, Crowe resides in Australia at both his Sydney home in Woolloomooloo and his 320 hectare rural property in Nana Glen near Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, but he rented a house for Summer 2006 in Nyack, New York while he worked on a movie being shot in New York City.

South Sydney Rabbitohs

On 19 March, 2006, the voting members of the South Sydney Rabbitohs National Rugby League club voted (in a 75.8% majority) to allow Crowe and businessman Peter Holmes à Court to purchase 75% of the club, leaving 25% ownership with the members. It will cost them (AUD) $3 million, and they will receive four of eight seats on the board of directors.

Crowe has been a major supporter of the Rabbitohs rugby league team for many years, appearing at many home games, and supporting the club during its time when they were forced from the National Rugby League competition for two years. Crowe paid $40,000 for a brass bell used to open the first rugby league competition match in Australia in 1908, which he then returned to the club. In 2005, he made them the first club team in Australia to be sponsored by a film, when he negotiated a deal to advertise his movie Cinderella Man on their jerseys.

He is friends with many current and former players of the club, and currently employs former South Sydney forward Mark Carroll as a bodyguard and personal trainer. He has encouraged other actors to support the club, such as Tom Cruise and Burt Reynolds. Business and television personality Eddie McGuire has been offered a seat on the Rabbitohs board.

Musical Activities

Crowe's early stage name as a musician was "Rus Le Roq" and he was billed as such while performing with the New Zealand production of The Rocky Horror Show. Crowe also toured with Grease in the Australian company. Crowe performed lead vocals and guitar for an Australian pub rock band, 30 Odd Foot Of Grunts formed in 1992. The band had found neither critical nor popular success but had several releases including 1998's Gaslight, 2001's Bastard Life or Clarity and 2003's Other Ways of Speaking, plus various CD releases now out of print. The band's web site indicates that group has "dissolved/evolved" and states that Crowe's music would take a new direction.

Apart from the Russell Crowe's celebrity status, the bands only claim to fame is the Frenzal Rhomb song "Russell Crowe's Band" which refers to the band as 'A ******* pile of ****'.

He continued with a collaboration with Alan Doyle of the Canadian band Great Big Sea in early 2005, which also involved members of his previous band. A new single, Raewyn, was released in April 2005 and an album entitled My Hand, My Heart has been released for download on iTunes. The album includes a tribute song to the late actor, Richard Harris, who became Crowe's friend during the making of Gladiator. In 2002, he directed the music video clip (which starred former child actor Duy Nguyen) for his wife Danielle Spencer's single 'Tickle Me' from her 'White Monkey' album. On March 10, 2006, Russell Crowe performed with his new band The Ordinary Fear of God on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 04:56 am
Here's some great advice from kids.... (maybe one of yours?)

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

When you want something expensive, ask your grandparents.

Never smart off to a teacher whose eyes and ears are twitching.

Wear a hat when feeding seagulls.

Sleep in your clothes so you'll be dressed in the morning.

Never ask for anything that costs more than five dollars when your
parents are doing taxes.

Never bug a pregnant mom.

Don't ever be too full for dessert.

When your dad is mad and asks you, "Do I look stupid?" don't answer him.

Never tell your mom her diet's not working.

Don't pick on your sister when she's holding a baseball bat.

When you get a bad grade in school, show it to your mom when she's on
the phone.

Never try to baptize a cat.

Beware of cafeteria food when it looks like it's moving.

Never dare your little brother to paint the family car.

Never tell your little brother that you're not going to do what your mom
told you to do.

Forget the cake. Go for the icing!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 06:02 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

First, allow me to respond to hbg about the trolley. Hey, Canada. That was just a continuation of the theme and had nothing to do with active or inactive systems in St. Louis. Great song, however. We all love train songs here on our wee cyber station.

Remember this?

Down at the station
Early in the morning
See the little puffer bellies
Standing in a row

See the little fireman
Turn his little handle
Chug, chug, toot toot
Off we go.

Well, folks, it's good to see the hawkman complete his bio's with a list of to do's and not to do's. Thank Bob. Great info this morning, and we all discover something new from your presentations.

Ah, dear Lady Day. Let's do one by her that must have reflected her sad and unhappy life.

Irene Higginbotham / Ervin Drake / Dan Fisher

Good morning heartache
You old gloomy sight
Good morning heartache
Thought we said goodbye last night
I turned and tossed until it seems you have gone
But here you are with the dawn
Wish I forget you, but you're here to stay
It seems I met you
When my love went away
Now everyday I stop I'm saying to you
Good morning heartache what's new

Stop haunting me now
Can't shake you nohow
Just leave me alone
I've got those Monday blues
Straight to Sunday blues
Good morning heartache
Here we go again
Good morning heartache
You're the one
Who knows me well
Might as well get use to you hanging around
Good morning heartache
Sit down
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:34 am
Good Morning. Bob's got me smiling this brrrrrrr April a.m.

Faces to match Bob's bios.

http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/JTG335.jpghttp://www.melofanas.lt/katalogas/images/goods/115257_R.G._Armstrong.jpg
http://www.celebritiesfans.com/Pic/jamesgarner.jpghttp://services.windowsmedia.com/dvdcover/cov150/drt400/t444/t44450yn2eb.jpghttp://www.superfilmy.sk/obrazky/25423_2005_Ludia_Herci_jackie_chan_4.jpg
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1842224239.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And a Good Day to all.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:41 am
Whispering Grass
The Ink Spots

[Words by Fred Fisher]
[Music by Doris Fisher]

Why do you whisper, green grass
Why tell the trees what ain't so
Whispering grass
The trees don't have to know, no, no

Why tell them all your secrets
Who kissed there long ago
Whispering grass, the trees don't need to know

Don't you tell it to the trees
She will tell the birds and bees
And everyone will know
Because you told the blabbering trees
Yes, you told them once before
It's no secret anymore

Why tell them all the old things
They're buried under the snow
Whispering grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know

Monologue:
Now, don't you tell it to the trees
'Cause they'll just run 'n' tell the birds and bees
Then everybody'd know 'cause you told them doggone trees
Yes you did, you know you did, ya told 'em once before
Now look atcha, honey child, it ain't no secret no mo'

Why tell them all the old things
They're buried under the snow
Whispering grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:57 am
Good morning to you, Raggedy. Great photo's, PA, and now I recall that Armstrong man, thanks to you.

Well, folks, we're looking at Lady Day, that Armstrong man, James Garner, John Oates, that funny Chan man, and Russell Crowe.

Hey, edgar. Great song, Texas. Unfortunately, my grass doesn't whisper, it just whimpers Razz

How about one from John and Daryl and someone named Billy

Life's Too Short (written by Daryl Hall, John Oates, Billy Mann)

I let you escape, slip through my fingers

We made our mistakes, but memories linger

Each time I turn a corner I swear I see your face

But I'm standing here alone in the wonder

What I really needed, what made me run away?

Was it just a crazy spell I was under?

(chorus)

We all love on borrowed time, tomorrow's flying blind

And Life's Too Short to be living without you

You laughed at my jokes, broke down my defenses

It's like my heart just awoke, and brought back my senses

I've got my motor runnning, it's all that I can do

Cause every road I'm taking is leading back to you

-Repeat chorus -

I give in I can't go it alone, yeah I'm done now I know that you're gone

I need someone to save me and Life's Too Short to be living without you
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:39 am
Fingerprints
Leonard Cohen

I touched you once too often
Now I don't know who I am
My fingerprints were missing
When I wiped away the jam

Yes I called my fingerprints all night
But they don't seem to care
The last time that I saw them
They were leafing through your hair

Fingerprints, fingerprints
Where are you now my fingerprints?

Yeah I thought I'd leave this morning
So I emptied out your drawer
A hundred thousand fingerprints
They floated to the floor

You know you hardly stopped to pick them up
You don't care what you lose
Ah you don't even seem to know
Whose fingerprints are whose

And now you want to marry me
You want to take me down the aisle
You want to throw confetti fingerprints
You know that's not my style

O sure I'd like to marry you
But I can't face the dawn
With any girl who knew me
When my fingerprints were on

Fingerprints, oh fingerprints
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:03 am
edgar, Leonard Cohen never ceases to amaze me. Love the phrase "....confetti fingerprints....".

Thinking of The Lettermen, folks, and this song which was a favorite of my father's. The memory came from a magnolia tree. Don't ask, 'cause it's just another bit of cognitive insight. Also included are three quotes for the day.

THE LETTERMEN

The Way You Look Tonight

Some day, when I'm awfully low,
When the world is cold,
I will feel a glow just thinking of you...
And the way you look tonight.

Yes you're lovely, with your smile so warm
And your cheeks so soft,
There is nothing for me but to love you,
And the way you look tonight.

With each word your tenderness grows,
Tearing my fear apart...
And that laugh that wrinkles your nose,
It touches my foolish heart.

Lovely ... Never, ever change.
Keep that breathless charm.
Won't you please arrange it ?
'Cause I love you ... Just the way you look tonight.

Mm, Mm, Mm, Mm,
Just the way you look to-night.

Truth forever on the scaffold,
Wrong forever on the throne.
- James Russell Lowell

A political battle is merely a skirmish fought with muskets;
a philosophical battle is a nuclear war.
- Ayn Rand

Facts must yield to ideas.
Peaceably and patiently if possible.
Violently if not.
- Lord Acton
0 Replies