WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:00 am
Hey, hawkman. Great bio's today, Boston, but your doctor funnies were just too true; however, they did give us a big smile which is probably the best medicine for what ails all of us. Thanks again.

I did some research on "Elron" as Bud used to call him and found that his so called "religion" was more of a business than a religion. Aren't they all?

Just a few celebs who were a part of that movement.

celebrities include actresses Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart on "The Simpsons"), Juliette Lewis ("Natural Born Killers"), Anne Archer ("Fatal Attraction)," and Elvis Presley's widow and daughter Priscilla and Lisa Marie.
The musician and congressman, Sonny Bono, who died in January, was a longtime Scientologist.
Others who took Scientology courses, or who were members - some briefly - according to published reports, include football legend John Brodie, dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov, author William Burroughs; singers Van Morrison, Al Jarreau and Leonard Cohen; actors Emilio Estevez, Rock Hudson, Demi Moore, Candice Bergen, Brad Pitt, Christopher Reeve, Jerry Seinfeld and Patrick Swayze; and O.J. Simpson prosecutor Marcia Clark.
Also, the Observer newspaper of London recently linked actress Sharon Stone to Scientology.
Ex-Scientologists the church would like to forget include members of the suicidal Heaven's Gate cult, who were church members in the 1970s; and mass killer Charles Manson, who took church classes during a prison term that ended in 1967, before he and his cult followers massacred Sharon Tate and others. WOW!

Well, until our Raggedy arrives, let's listen to this song, folks.

Artist: Michael Martin Murphey
Song: Wildfire

She comes down from Yellow Mountain
On a dark, flat land she rides
On a pony she named Wildfire
With a whirlwind by her side
On a cold Nebraska night

Oh, they say she died one winter
When there came a killing frost
And the pony she named Wildfire
Busted down its stall
In a blizzard he was lost

She ran calling Wildfire [x3]
By the dark of the moon I planted
But there came an early snow
There's been a hoot-owl howling by my window now
For six nights in a row
She's coming for me, I know
And on Wildfire we're both gonna go

We'll be riding Wildfire [x3]

On Wildfire we're gonna ride
Gonna leave sodbustin' behind
Get these hard times right on out of our minds
Riding Wildfire
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:12 am
Bow bow bow...

(um, do that again)

Bow bow bow...

Have you ever heard of a wish sandwich? a wish sandwich is the kind of a sandwich where you have two slices of bread and you, hee hee hee, wish you had some meat...

Bow bow bow...

Ummm... the other day I had a ricochet biscuit. a ricochet biscuit is the kind of a biscuit thats supposed to bounce back off the wall into your mouth. if it dont bounce back... you go hungry!

Bow bow bow...

Umm, umm, umm... the other day I had a cool water sandwich and a sunday-go-to-meetin bun...

Bow bow bow...

Hee hee hee hee... what da ya want for nothing? ... a rubber biscuit?

Bow bow bow...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:41 am
Hey, dys. For a moment there, I thought you were imitating Sally. (isn't that your dog's name?)

So, cowboy, it's "bow-bow-bow", not bow wow wow. Razz

Here's a computer song that is funny, folks:

Cheekah Bow Bow (That Computer Song)

I saw you in the disco
Last night in San Francisco
The way you used your joystick
It really makes my mouse click

Come sit down on my laptop
Lets do a little hiphop
Let's go into a chatroom
And do a little boom boom

I saw you in the disco
Last week in San Francisco
The way you used your joystick
Has really made me feel sick

The doctor checked my harddrive
A virus in my archive
My disc was not protected
And now I am infected.

Love it!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:55 am
Breaking news from the corporate world:

Updated: 7 minutes ago
NEW YORK - MTV owner Viacom Inc. said Tuesday it has sued YouTube and its corporate parent Google Inc. in federal court for alleged copyright infringement and is seeking more than $1 billion in damages.
Viacom claims that the more than 160,000 unauthorized video clips from its cable networks, which also include Comedy Central, VH1 and Nickelodeon, have been available on the popular video-sharing Web site.
The lawsuit marks a sharp escalation of long-simmering tensions between Viacom and YouTube. Last month Viacom demanded that YouTube remove more than 100,000 unauthorized clips after several months of talks between the companies broke down.

I swear, I still believe in synchronicity.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:17 am
artist: Patti Page lyrics
title: (How Much Is That) Doggy In The Window

How much is that doggie in the window (arf, arf)
The one with the waggley tail
I do hope that doggie's for sale

I must take a trip to California
And leave my poor sweetheart alone
If he has a dog he won't be lonesome
And the doggie will have a good home

I read in the papers there are robbers (roof, roof)
With flashlights that shine in the dark
My love needs a doggie to protect him
And scare them away with one bark

I don't want a bunny or a kitty
I don't want a parrot that talks
I don't want a bowl of little fishies
He can't take a goldfish for a walk

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:30 am
Phoenix loves that one, hawkman. Thanks again, Boston.

Here's a portion of an "onomatopoeia" song.

Artist: Webber Andrew Lloyd
Song: The Pekes And The Pollicles

Munkustrap:
Of the awful battle
of the pekes and the pollicles
Together with some account
Of the participation of the pugs and the poms
And the intervention of the all great Rumpus Cat!!!
The pekes and the pollicles everyone knows
Are a proud and implacable passionate foes
It is always the same where ever one goes
And the Pugs and the Poms although most people say
That they did not like fighting will once in a way
Show every symptom of wanting to join in the fray
And they

All:
Bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark

Munkustrap:
Until you could hear them all over the park
Now on the occassion of which I shall speak
Almost nothing had happened for nearly a week
(And that's a long time for a Pol or a Peke)
The big police dog was away from his beat
I don’t know the reason but some people think
He slipped into the Wellington's Arms for a drink
And no one at all was about on the street
When a Peke and a Pollicle happened to meet
They did not advance or exactly retreat
But they glared at each other and scraped their hind feet
And they started to

All:
Bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 01:40 pm
Good afternoon. Love Bob's doctor tales. Too true. Laughing

Two faces to match: (Used to love Neil's "Solitaire" and liked everything Michael did.)

http://www.oldies.com/i/boxart/large/80/090431803226.jpghttp://www.redrivernewmexico.com/sumweb02/images/murph.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:01 pm
Well, folks, there's our speckled pup. (yip, yip Razz ) This seems to be a dog day afternoon.

Hey, PA. Michael is a great lookin' red head. I will need to read about him more carefully. I think I have only heard that one song by him.

My word, everyone has done a "stairway to Paradise" song.

This is my very favorite by Neil, however.

The Immigrant

Harbours open there doors to the young searching foreigner
Come to live in the light of the big L of liberty
Plains and open skies bill boards would advertise
Was it anything like that when you arrived
Dream boats carried the future to the heart of America
People were waiting in line for a place by the river

Chorus
It was time when strangers were welcome here
Music would play they tell me the days were sweet and clear
It was a sweeter tune and there was so much room
That people could come from everywhere

Now he arrvies with hopes and his heart set on miracles
Come to marry his fortune with a hand full of promises
To find they've closed the door they don't want him anymore
There isn't anymore to go around
Turning away he remembers he once heard a legend
That spoke of a mystical magical land called America

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:52 pm
Oxford Town
Bob Dylan

Oxford Town, Oxford Town
Ev'rybody's got their heads bowed down
The sun don't shine above the ground
Ain't a-goin' down to Oxford Town

He went down to Oxford Town
Guns and clubs followed him down
All because his face was brown
Better get away from Oxford Town

Oxford Town around the bend
He come in to the door, he couldn't get in
All because of the color of his skin
What do you think about that, my frien'?

Me and my gal, my gal's son
We got met with a tear gas bomb
I don't even know why we come
Goin' back where we come from

Oxford Town in the afternoon
Ev'rybody singin' a sorrowful tune
Two men died 'neath the Mississippi moon
Somebody better investigate soon

Oxford Town, Oxford Town
Ev'rybody's got their heads bowed down
The sun don't shine above the ground
Ain't a-goin' down to Oxford Town
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:04 am
Brazil
Xavier Cugat

Brazil, where hearts were entertaining June
We stood beneath an amber moon
And softly murmured, someday soon
We kissed and clung together
Then, tomorrow was another day

The morning found me miles away
With still a million things to say
Now, when twilight dims the sky above
Recalling thrills of our love
There's one thing I'm certain of
Return I will to old Brazil
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:22 am
Hey, edgar. Loved your Oxford town song. I'm assuming the lyrics are decrying racism.

Ah, Brazil by X-avier. Quite a samba, Texas. I think the only word in the English language where "X" is pronounced is X-ray.

Incidentally, what's this I hear about some Texas counties posting social security numbers on line?

Song for the morning.

This version by old blue eyes:

(S.Sondheim)
[Spoken intro]
This is a song about a couple of adult people who have spent, oh, quite a long time
together, till one day
one of 'em gets restless and decides to leave. Whether it's the man or woman who left is unimportant.
It's a breakup.
It's a lovely marriage of words and music, written by Stephen Sondheim.

Isn't it rich? Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground and you in mid-air
Send in the clowns

Isn't it bliss? Don't you approve?
One who keeps tearing around and one who can't move
But where are the clowns? Send in the clowns

Just when I stopped opening doors
Finally finding the one that I wanted was yours
Making my entrance again with my usual flair

Sure of my lines
Nobody's there

Don't you love a farce? My fault, I fear
I thought that you'd want what I want, sorry my dear
Don't bother they're here

Isn't it rich? Isn't it queer?
Losing my timing this late in my career
Well, maybe next year
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:01 am
Albert Einstein
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born March 14, 1879
Ulm, Württemberg, Germany
Died April 18, 1955
Princeton, New Jersey

Albert Einstein (March 14, 1879 - April 18, 1955) was a German-born theoretical physicist who is widely considered to have been one of the greatest physicists of all time. While best known for the theory of relativity (and specifically mass-energy equivalence, E=mc²), he was awarded the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect."[1]

Einstein's many contributions to physics include his special theory of relativity, which reconciled mechanics with electromagnetism, and his general theory of relativity which extended the principle of relativity to nonuniform motion, creating a new theory of gravitation. His other contributions include relativistic cosmology, capillary action, critical opalescence, classical problems of statistical mechanics and their application to quantum theory, an explanation of the Brownian movement of molecules, atomic transition probabilities, the quantum theory of a monatomic gas, thermal properties of light with low radiation density (which laid the foundation for the photon theory), a theory of radiation including stimulated emission, the conception of a unified field theory, and the geometrization of physics.

Works by Albert Einstein include more than fifty scientific papers but also non-scientific works, including About Zionism: Speeches and Lectures by Professor Albert Einstein. (1930), Why War? (1933, co-authored by Sigmund Freud), The World As I See It (1934), and Out of My Later Years (1950).[2]

In 1999 Einstein was named Time magazine's "Person of the Century". In popular culture the name "Einstein" has become synonymous with genius.

Youth and schooling

Albert Einstein was born into a Jewish family in Ulm, Württemberg, Germany. His father was Hermann Einstein, a salesman. His mother was Pauline Einstein, (née Koch).

Although Albert had early speech difficulties, he was a top student in elementary school.[3] Thomas Sowell used Einstein's name for a book on such children.[4]

In 1880, the family moved to Munich where his father and his uncle founded a company, Elektrotechnische Fabrik J. Einstein & Cie, that manufactured electrical equipment, providing the first lighting for the Oktoberfest and cabling for the Munich suburb of Schwabing. The Einsteins were not observant, and Albert attended a Catholic elementary school. At his mother's insistence, he took violin lessons, and although he disliked them and eventually quit, he would later take great pleasure in Mozart's violin sonatas.

When Albert was five, his father showed him a pocket compass. Albert realized that something in empty space was moving the needle and later stated that this experience made "a deep and lasting impression".[5] As he grew, Albert built models and mechanical devices for fun, and began to show a talent for mathematics.
In 1889, a family friend named Max Talmud, a medical student,[6] introduced the ten-year-old Albert to key science and philosophy texts, including Kant's Critique of Pure Reason and Euclid's Elements (Einstein called it the "holy little geometry book").[6] From Euclid, Albert began to understand deductive reasoning (integral to theoretical physics), and by the age of twelve, he learned Euclidean geometry from a school booklet. He soon began to investigate calculus.

In his early teens, Albert attended the new and progressive Luitpold Gymnasium. His father intended for him to pursue electrical engineering, but Albert clashed with authorities and resented the school regimen. He later wrote that the spirit of learning and creative thought were lost in strict rote learning.

In 1894, when Einstein was fifteen, his father's business failed and the Einstein family moved to Italy, first to Milan and then, after a few months. to Pavia. During this time, Albert wrote his first "scientific work", "The Investigation of the State of Aether in Magnetic Fields".[7] Albert had been left behind in Munich to finish high school, but in the spring of 1895, he withdrew to join his family in Pavia, convincing the school to let him go by using a doctor's note.
Rather than completing high school Albert decided to apply directly to the ETH Zurich, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, Switzerland. Without a school certificate, he was required to take an entrance examination. He did not pass. Einstein wrote that it was in that same year, at age 16, that he first performed his famous thought experiment, visualizing traveling alongside a beam of light.[citation needed]

The Einsteins sent Albert to Aarau, Switzerland to finish secondary school. While lodging with the family of Professor Jost Winteler, he fell in love with the family's daughter, Sofia Marie-Jeanne Amanda Winteler, called "Marie". (Albert's sister, Maja, his confidant, later married Paul Winteler.)[8] In Aarau, Albert studied Maxwell's electromagnetic theory. In 1896, he graduated at age 17, renounced his German citizenship to avoid military service (with his father's approval), and finally enrolled in the mathematics program at ETH. On February 21, 1901, he gained Swiss citizenship, which he never revoked.[9] Marie moved to Olsberg, Switzerland for a teaching post.

In 1896, Mileva Marić also enrolled at ETH, the only woman studying mathematics. During the next few years, Einstein and Marić's friendship developed into romance. Einstein's mother objected because she thought Marić too old, not Jewish and "physically defective".[10] Einstein and Marić had a daughter, Lieserl Einstein, born in early 1902.[11] Her fate is unknown.

In 1900, Einstein's friend Michele Besso introduced him to the work of Ernst Mach. That year, Einstein published a paper in the prestigious Annalen der Physik entitled "Folgerungen aus den Capillaritätserscheinungen" ("Consequences of the observations of capillarity phenomena"), on the capillary forces of a straw[12]. He graduated from ETH with a teaching diploma[citation needed].

The patent office

The 'Einsteinhaus' in Bern where Einstein lived with Mileva on the second floor during his Annus MirabilisAfter graduation, Einstein could not find a teaching post; some say his brashness had irritated his professors. After almost two years of searching, a former classmate's father helped him get a job in Bern, at the Federal Office for Intellectual Property,[13] the patent office, as an assistant examiner. His responsibility was evaluating patent applications for electromagnetic devices. He learned to discern the essence of applications despite applicants' sometimes poor descriptions, and the director taught him "to express [him]self correctly"[citation needed]. Einstein occasionally corrected design errors while evaluating patent applications. In 1903, Einstein's position at the Swiss Patent Office was made permanent, although he was passed over for promotion until he "fully mastered machine technology".[14]

Einstein's college friend, Michele Besso, also worked at the patent office. With friends they met in Bern, they formed a weekly discussion club on science and philosophy, jokingly named "The Olympia Academy". Their readings included Poincaré, Mach and Hume.[citation needed]

Einstein married Mileva Marić on January 6, 1903, and their relationship was, for the time, a personal and intellectual partnership. In a letter to her, Einstein wrote of Mileva as "a creature who is my equal and who is as strong and independent as I am."[15] There has been debate about whether Marić influenced Einstein's work.[16][17][18] On May 14, 1904, Albert and Mileva's first son, Hans Albert Einstein, was born. Their second son, Eduard Einstein, was born on July 28, 1910.[citation needed]

The Annus Mirabilis

Albert Einstein, 1905In 1905, while working in the patent office, Einstein published four times in the Annalen der Physik. These are the papers that history has come to call the Annus Mirabilis Papers:

"On a Heuristic Viewpoint Concerning the Production and Transformation of Light" on the photoelectric effect (completed March 17)
"On the Motion Required by the Molecular Kinetic Theory of Heat of Small Particles Suspended in a Stationary Liquid" on Brownian motion (received by Annalen der Physik May 11)
"On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" on special relativity (received by Annalen der Physik June 30)
"Does the Inertia of a Body Depend Upon Its Energy Content?" on equivalence of matter and energy (received by Annalen der Physik September 27, 1905) (Pais 1982:522)
At the age of 26, having studied under Alfred Kleiner, Professor of Experimental Physics, Einstein was awarded a PhD by the University of Zurich. His dissertation was entitled "Eine neue Bestimmung der Moleküldimensionen" ("A new determination of molecular dimensions"); it was completed April 30, 1905 and accepted in July. (Pais 1982:522)

General relativity

In 1906, the patent office promoted Einstein to Technical Examiner Second Class, but he was not giving up on academia. In 1908, he became a privatdozent at the University of Bern (Pais 1982:522). In 1910, he wrote a paper on critical opalescence that described the cumulative effect of light scattered by individual molecules in the atmosphere, i.e. why the sky is blue (Levenson 2005).

During 1909, Einstein published "Über die Entwicklung unserer Anschauungen über das Wesen und die Konstitution der Strahlung" ("The Development of Our Views on the Composition and Essence of Radiation"), on the quantization of light. In this and in an earlier 1909 paper, Einstein showed that Max Planck's energy quanta must have well-defined momenta and act in some respects as independent, point-like particles. This paper introduced the photon concept (although the term itself was introduced by Gilbert N. Lewis in 1926). Even more importantly, Einstein showed that light must be simultaneously a wave and a particle.[citation needed]

In 1911, Einstein became an associate professor at the University of Zurich; however, shortly afterward, he accepted a full professorship at the Charles University of Prague in Prague, Czechloslovakia. While in Prague, Einstein published a paper about the effects of gravity on light, specifically the gravitational redshift and the gravitational deflection of light. The paper appealed to astronomers to find ways of detecting the deflection during a solar eclipse.[19] German astronomer Erwin Freundlich publicized Einstein's challenge to scientists around the world (Crelinsten 2006).

In 1912, Einstein returned to Switzerland to accept a professorship at his alma mater, the ETH. There he met mathematician Marcel Grossmann who introduced him to Riemannian geometry, and at the recommendation of Italian mathematician Tullio Levi-Civita, Einstein began exploring the usefulness of general covariance (essentially the use of tensors) for his gravitational theory. It was at this time that Einstein began to refer to time as the fourth dimension, as H.G. Wells had done in his 1895 novel The Time Machine.[citation needed]

After many relocations, Mileva established a permanent home with the children in Zurich in 1914, just before the start of World War I. Einstein continued on alone to Germany, more precisely to Berlin, where he became a member of the Preußische Akademie der Wissenschaften. As part of the arrangements for his new position, he also became a professor at the University of Berlin, although with a special clause freeing him from most teaching obligations. From 1914 to 1932 he was also director of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for physics (Kant 2005).

During World War I, the speeches and writings of Central Powers scientists were only available to Central Powers academics for national security reasons. Some of Einstein's work did reach the United Kingdom and the USA through the efforts of the Austrian Paul Ehrenfest and physicists in the Netherlands, especially 1902 Nobel Prize-winner Hendrik Lorentz and Willem de Sitter of the Leiden University. After the war ended, Einstein maintained his relationship with the Leiden University, accepting a contract as a buitengewoon hoogleraar; he travelled to Holland regularly to lecture there between 1920 and 1946.[citation needed]

In 1917, Einstein published an article in Physikalische Zeitschrift that proposed the possibility of stimulated emission, the physical technique that makes possible the laser[citation needed] (Einstein 1917). He also published a paper that described a cosmological constant, applying the general theory of relativity to the behavior of the entire universe.[citation needed]

1917 was the year astronomers began taking Einstein up on his 1911 challenge from Prague. The Mount Wilson Observatory in California, USA, published a solar spectroscopic analysis that showed no gravitational redshift (Crelinsten 2006:103-108). In 1918, the Lick Observatory, also in California, announced that they too had disproven Einstein's prediction, although their findings were not published (Crelinsten 2006:114-119, 126-140).
However, in May of 1919, a team led by British astronomer Arthur Eddington claimed to have confirmed Einstein's prediction of gravitational deflection of starlight by the Sun while photographing a solar eclipse in Brazil and Principe (Crelinston 2006). On November 7, 1919, leading British newspaper The Times printed a banner headline that read: "Revolution in Science - New Theory of the Universe - Newtonian Ideas Overthrown"[citation needed]. In an interview Nobel laureate Max Born praised general relativity as the "greatest feat of human thinking about nature"[citation needed]; fellow laureate Paul Dirac was quoted saying it was "probably the greatest scientific discovery ever made" (Schmidhuber 2006).
In their excitement, the world media made Albert Einstein world-famous. Ironically, later examination of the photographs taken on the Eddington expedition showed that the experimental uncertainty was of about the same magnitude as the effect Eddington claimed to have demonstrated. The deflection of light during an eclipse has, however, been more accurately measured (and confirmed) by later observations.[citation needed]
There was some resentment toward the newcomer Einstein's fame in the scientific community, notably among German physicists, who would later start the Deutsche Physik (German Physics) movement (Hentschel 1996:xxi).[20]

Having lived apart for five years, Einstein and Mileva divorced on February 14, 1919. On June 2 of that year, Einstein married Elsa Löwenthal, who had nursed him through an illness. Elsa was Albert's first cousin (maternally) and his second cousin (paternally). Together the Einsteins raised Margot and Ilse, Elsa's daughters from her first marriage.[citation needed]

The Nobel Prize

In 1921, Einstein was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics, "for his services to Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect". This refers to his 1905 paper on the photoelectric effect: "On a Heuristic Viewpoint Concerning the Production and Transformation of Light", which was well supported by the experimental evidence by that time. The presentation speech began by mentioning "his theory of relativity [which had] been the subject of lively debate in philosophical circles [and] also has astrophysical implications which are being rigorously examined at the present time." (The Nobel Foundation 2007) Einstein's four 1905 publications radically changed the way physicists viewed the world, and together they are known as the Annus Mirabilis Papers (Annus mirabilis meaning 'wonderful year' in Latin).[citation needed]

Einstein travelled to New York City in the United States for the first time on April 2, 1921. When asked where he got his scientific ideas, Einstein explained that he believed scientific work best proceeds from an examination of physical reality and a search for underlying axioms, with consistent explanations that apply in all instances and avoid contradicting each other. He also recommended theories with visualizable results (Einstein 1954)[21].

Unified field theory

Einstein's research after general relativity consisted primarily of a long series of attempts to generalize his theory of gravitation in order to unify and simplify the fundamental laws of physics, particularly gravitation and electromagnetism. In 1950, he described this "Unified Field Theory" in a Scientific American article entitled "On the Generalized Theory of Gravitation" (Einstein 1950).

Although he continued to be lauded for his work in theoretical physics, Einstein became increasingly isolated in his research, and his attempts were ultimately unsuccessful. In his pursuit of a unification of the fundamental forces, he ignored mainstream developments in physics (and vice versa), most notably the strong and weak nuclear forces, which were not well understood until many years after Einstein's death[citation needed]. Einstein's goal of unifying the laws of physics under a single model survives in the current drive for the grand unification theory.

Collaboration and conflict

Bose-Einstein statistics

In 1924, Einstein received a statistical model from Indian physicist Satyendra Nath Bose which showed that light could be understood as a gas. Bose's statistics applied to some atoms as well as to the proposed light particles, and Einstein published an article in the Zeitschrift für Physik describing Bose's model and its implications, among them the Bose-Einstein condensate phenomenon that should appear at very low temperatures.[citation needed] It wasn't until 1995 that the first such condensate was produced experimentally by Eric Cornell and Carl Wieman using ultra-cooling equipment built at the NIST-JILA laboratory at the University of Colorado at Boulder.[citation needed] Bose-Einstein statistics are now used to describe the behaviors of any assembly of "bosons".[citation needed] Einstein's sketches for this project may be seen in the Einstein Archive in the library of the Universiteit Leiden (Instituut-Lorentz 2005).

Boltzmann Distribution

Einstein worked with Erwin Schrödinger on a refinement of the Boltzmann distribution, a mixed classical and quantum mechanical gas model, although he declined to have his name included on the paper.[citation needed]

The Einstein Refrigerator

In 1926, Einstein and his former student Leó Szilárd, a Hungarian physicist who later worked on the Manhattan Project and is credited with the discovery of the chain reaction, co-invented (and in 1930, patented) the Einstein refrigerator, novel for having no moving parts and using only heat, no ice, as an input (Goettling 2005).[22]

Bohr v. Einstein

As quantum theory extended to quantum mechanics, Einstein began to object to the Copenhagen Interpretation developed by physicists Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg; the public debate between Einstein and Bohr lasted for years. In a 1926 letter to Max Born, Einstein wrote: "I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice."(Einstein 1969)[23] Bohr told Born to tell Einstein: "Stop telling God what to do."[citation needed]

Einstein's disagreement with Bohr revolved around scientific determinism. Although Bohr rebutted all of Einstein's specific arguments against the prevailing interpretation of quantum theory, Einstein was never satisfied by its intrinsically incomplete description of nature. In 1935, he collaborated with Boris Podolsky and Nathan Rosen on further exploration of his concerns, which became known as the EPR paradox.[citation needed]

Religious views

The question of scientific determinism gave rise to questions about Einstein's position on theological determinism, and even whether or not he believed in God. In 1929, Einstein told Rabbi Herbert S. Goldstein "I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."(Brian 1996:127)

By his own definition, Einstein was a deeply religious person (Pais 1982:319)[24]. Einstein published an article in Nature in 1940, entitled "Science and Religion," which gave his views on the subject. In this, he argued that conflicts between science and religion "have all sprung from fatal errors." However "even though the realms of religion and science in themselves are clearly marked off from each other" there are "strong reciprocal relationships and dependencies." "... science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind ... a legitimate conflict between science and religion cannot exist."(Einstein 1940:605-607)

Einstein was an Honorary Associate of the Rationalist Press Association beginning in 1934, and was an admirer of Ethical Culture (Ericson 2006). He served on the advisory board of the First Humanist Society of New York (See Stringer-Hye 1999 and Wilson 1995).

Dangerous Politics

Indian poet and Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore with Einstein during their widely-publicized July 14, 1930 conversation.With increasing public demands, his involvement in political, humanitarian and academic projects in various countries and his new acquaintances with scholars and political figures from around the world, Einstein was less able to get the productive isolation that, according to biographer Ronald W. Clark, he needed in order to work.[citation needed] As "the smartest man alive"[citation needed] Einstein found himself called on, like Solomon, to give conclusive judgments on matters that had nothing to do with theoretical physics or mathematics. He was not a timid man, and he was a man who was aware of the world around him, with no illusion that ignoring politics would make world events fade away. His very visible position allowed him to speak and write frankly, even provocatively, at a time when many people of conscience could only flee to the underground or keep doubts about developments within their own movements to themselves for fear of internecine fighting. Einstein flouted the ascendant Nazi movement, tried to be a voice of moderation in the tumultuous formation of the State of Israel and braved anti-communist politics and resistance to the civil rights movement in the United States.

Nazism

Einstein was a cultural zionist. Einstein was a co-founder of the liberal German Democratic Party[citation needed]. In 1931, The Macmillan Company published About Zionism: Speeches and Lectures by Professor Albert Einstein.[25] Querido Ferlag, an Amsterdam publishing house, collected eleven of Einstein's essays into a 1933 book entitled Mein Weltbilt, translated to English as The World as I See It; Einstein's forward dedicates the collection "to the Jews of Germany".[26] In the face of Germany's rising militarism Einstein wrote and spoke for peace.[27]
In January of 1933, Adolf Hitler was elected Chancellor of Germany. One of the first actions of Hitler's administration was the "Gesetz zur Wiederherstellung des Berufsbeamtentums" (the Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service) which removed Jews and "politically suspect" government employees (including university professors) from their jobs, unless they had demonstrated their loyalty to Germany by serving in World War I. In December of 1932, Einstein had prudently travelled to the USA to become a guest lecturer at Abraham Flexner's newly founded Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey. Einstein once again renounced his German citizenship and applied for permanent residency in the United States.

Albert Einstein receiving his certificate of American citizenship from Judge Phillip Forman.The U.S. was not entirely a safe haven for Einstein, however. The Federal Bureau of Investigation's file on him grew to 1,427 pages. Many of the documents in the file were sent to the FBI by concerned citizens, some objecting to his immigration and others asking the FBI to protect him.[28] Einstein did became an American citizen in 1940, although he retained Swiss citizenship[citation needed].

The Einstein family bought a house in Princeton (where Elsa died in 1936), and Einstein remained an integral contributor to the Institute for Advanced Study until his death in 1955. During the 1930s and into World War II, Einstein wrote affidavits recommending United States visas for a huge number of Europeans, raised money for Zionist organizations and was in part responsible for the formation, in 1933, of the International Rescue Committee which, to this day, gives support and shelter to refugees of social and political persecution.[29][30]
Meanwhile, a campaign to eliminate Einstein's work from the German lexicon as unacceptable "Jewish physics" was led by Nobel laureates Philipp Lenard and Johannes Stark.[citation needed] Deutsche Physik activists published pamphlets and even textbooks denigrating Einstein; instructors who taught his theories were blacklisted, including Nobel laureate Werner Heisenberg who had debated quantum probability with Bohr and Einstein.[citation needed] Einstein's scientific papers were among those destroyed in public book burnings on May 10, 1933.[citation needed]

In 1946 Einstein and Leó Szilárd recreate the writing of their 1939 letter to President Roosevelt.In 1939, Leo Szilárd and Einstein wrote a letter to U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt warning that the Third Reich might be developing nuclear weapons based on their own research. Roosevelt formed a committee to investigate the matter and granted Enrico Fermi's University of Chicago neutron experiments $6,000, the first steps toward the Manhattan Project. According to chemist and author Linus Pauling, Einstein later expressed regret about the Szilárd-Einstein letter.[31] Within five years, the United States created its own nuclear weapons, and used them on the Japanese cities of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

Zionism

Despite his years of Zionist efforts, Einstein publicly stated reservations about the proposal to partition the British-supervised British Mandate of Palestine into independent Arab and Jewish countries. In a 1938 speech, "Our Debt to Zionism", he said: "I am afraid of the inner damage Judaism will sustain - especially from the development of a narrow nationalism within our own ranks, against which we have already had to fight strongly, even without a Jewish state".[32] The United Nations did divide the mandate, demarcating the borders of several new countries including the State of Israel, and war broke out immediately. Einstein was one of the authors of a 1948 letter to the New York Times criticizing Menachem Begin's Revisionist Tnuat Haherut ("Freedom Party") for the Deir Yassin massacre[1]. Einstein served on the Board of Governors of The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, built in 1918. The Board had also included psychologist Sigmund Freud and philosopher Martin Buber, as well as chemist Chaim Weizmann who became the first President of Israel.[citation needed] Einstein bequeathed all his personal papers to the university, where they are held in the Albert Einstein Archives.[33]

When Weizmann died in 1952, Einstein was asked to be Israel's second president. He declined, writing: "I am deeply moved by the offer from our State of Israel, and at once saddened and ashamed that I cannot accept it."[34]

McCarthyism

When he was a visible figure working against the rise of Nazism, Einstein had sought help and developed working relationships in both the West and what was to become the Soviet bloc. After World War II, enmity between the former allies became a very serious issue for people with international resumes. To make things worse, during the first days of McCarthyism, Einstein was writing about a single world government; it was at this time that he wrote, "I do not know how the third World War will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."[35] In a 1949 article entitled "Why Socialism?", Albert Einstein described what he called the "predatory phase of human development",[36] exemplified by a chaotic capitalist society, a source of evil to be overcome.[37] With Albert Schweitzer and Bertrand Russell, Einstein lobbied to stop nuclear testing and future bombs. Days before his death, Einstein signed the Russell-Einstein Manifesto, which led to the Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs.
Einstein has been quoted as saying "Racism is America's greatest disease."[citation needed] Einstein was a member of several civil rights groups, including the Princeton chapter of the NAACP[citation needed]. He served as co-chair with Paul Robeson of the American Crusade to End Lynching[citation needed]. When the aged W.E.B. DuBois was accused of being a communist spy, Einstein volunteered as a character witness and the case was dismissed shortly afterward[citation needed]. Einstein's friendship with activist Paul Robeson lasted more than 20 years[citation needed].
In 1946, Einstein collaborated with Rabbi Israel Goldstein, Middlesex heir C. Ruggles Smith, and activist attorney George Alpert on the Albert Einstein Foundation for Higher Learning, Inc., which was formed to create a Jewish-sponsored secular university, open to all students, on the grounds of the former Middlesex College in Waltham, Massachusetts. Middlesex was chosen in part because it was accessible from both Boston and New York City, Jewish cultural centers of the USA. Their vision was a university "deeply conscious both of the Hebraic tradition of Torah looking upon culture as a birthright, and of the American ideal of an educated democracy."[38] The collaboration was stormy, however. Einstein wanted to appoint British economist Harold J. Laski as the university's president, but Alpert wrote that Laski was "a man utterly alien to American principles of democracy, tarred with the Communist brush."[citation needed] Einstein withdrew his support and barred the use of his name. The university opened in 1948 as Brandeis University. In 1953, Brandeis offered Einstein an honorary degree, but he declined.[39]

Death

Albert Einstein laughing with Israeli diplomat, Abba Eban (left), 1952On April 17, 1955, Albert Einstein experienced internal bleeding caused by the rupture of an aortic aneurism.[citation needed] He took a draft of a speech he was preparing for a television appearance commemorating the State of Israel's seventh anniversary with him to the hospital, but he did not live long enough to complete it. The Hebrew University has the last statement he wrote.[40] He died in Princeton Hospital early the next morning[41] at the age of 76, leaving his Generalized Theory of Gravitation incomplete. Einstein's remains were cremated and his ashes were scattered.[42]

Before the cremation, Princeton Hospital pathologist Thomas Stoltz Harvey removed Einstein's brain for preservation, in hope that the neuroscience of the future would be able to discover what made Einstein so intelligent.

While travelling, Einstein had written daily to his wife Elsa and adopted stepdaughters, Margot and Ilse, and the letters were included in the papers bequeathed to The Hebrew University. Margot Einstein permitted the personal letters to be made available to the public, but requested that it not be done until twenty years after her death. Barbara Wolff, of the The Hebrew University's Albert Einstein Archives, told the BBC that there are about 3,500 pages of private correspondence written between 1912 and 1955. In letters to Elsa, Einstein described being showered with wanted and unwanted attention from women, and how much his son Eduard's schizophrenia troubled him. In 1924, regarding Margot, he wrote: "I love her as much as if she were my own daughter, perhaps even more so, since who knows what kind of brat she would have become [had I fathered her]."[43]

The United States' National Academy of Sciences commissioned the Albert Einstein Memorial, a monumental bronze and marble sculpture by Robert Berks, erected at its Washington, D.C. campus adjacent to the National Mall.

Einstein bequeathed the royalties from use of his image to The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.[44]. The Roger Richman Agency licences the commercial use of his name and associated imagery, as agent for the Hebrew University and as of May, 2005, is owned by Corbis[45].

Honors

Albert Einstein, Person of the CenturyIn 1999, Albert Einstein was named "Person of the Century" by Time magazine,[46] the Gallup Poll recorded him as the fourth most admired person of the 20th century[citation needed] and according to the 1978 "A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History", Einstein is "the greatest scientist of the twentieth century and one of the supreme intellects of all time".[47]

A partial list of his memorials:

The International Union of Pure and Applied Physics named 2005 the "World Year of Physics" in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the publication of the Annus Mirabilis Papers.
The Albert Einstein Memorial by Robert Berks
A unit used in photochemistry, the einstein
The chemical element 99, einsteinium
The asteroid 2001 Einstein
The Albert Einstein Award
The Albert Einstein Peace Prize
See also: List of things named after Einstein

Einstein in popular culture

Albert Einstein, 1951. Arthur Sasse, photographerOn Einstein's 72nd birthday in 1951, UPI photographer Arthur Sasse was trying to persuade him to smile for the camera, but having smiled for photographers many times that day, Einstein stuck out his tongue instead.[48]

Australian film maker Yahoo Serious used the birthday photograph as inspiration for his movie Young Einstein,[citation needed] indeed, Albert Einstein has been the subject of or inspiration for many novels, films and plays. For a sample of them, see Jean-Claude Carrier's 2005 French novel, Einstein S'il Vous Plait ("Please, Mr Einstein"), Nicolas Roeg's film Insignificance, Fred Schepisi's film I.Q. (where he was portrayed by Walter Matthau), Alan Lightman's collection of short stories Einstein's Dreams, and Steve Martin's comedic play Picasso at the Lapin Agile. He was the subject of Philip Glass's groundbreaking 1976 opera Einstein on the Beach and his humorous side is the subject of Ed Metzger's one-man play Albert Einstein: The Practical Bohemian.

Einstein is a favorite model for depictions of mad scientists and absent-minded professors; his expressive face and distinctive hairstyle have been widely copied and exaggerated. Time magazine's Frederic Golden once said that Einstein was "a cartoonist's dream come true."[49]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:11 am
Michael Caine

Birth name Maurice Joseph Micklewhite
Born March 14, 1933 (age 74)
London, UK
Spouse(s) Patricia Haines (1955 - 1958)
Shakira Caine (1973 - )
Academy Awards

Best Supporting Actor
1986 Hannah and Her Sisters
1999 The Cider House Rules

Sir Maurice Joseph Micklewhite CBE (born March 14, 1933), known professionally as Michael Caine, is a two-time Academy Award-winning British film actor.

Biography

Caine was born in Rotherhithe, South East London to Maurice Micklewhite, a Catholic fish-porter, and Ellen Maria, a Protestant charlady. He grew up in nearby Camberwell attending Wilson's School (at that time Wilson's Grammar School) and during World War II was evacuated to North Runcton in Norfolk. In 1944 he passed his eleven-plus exam. He left school at sixteen after gaining four O-Levels and did his National Service from April 1952 to 1954 in the Royal Fusiliers, serving in Germany and Korea.

Acting career

When Caine first became an actor, he adopted the stage name "Michael Scott". His agent soon informed him, however, that another actor was already using the same name, and that he had to come up with a new name immediately. Speaking to his agent from a telephone box in Leicester Square in London, Caine looked around for inspiration, noted that The Caine Mutiny was being shown at the Odeon Cinema, and decided to change his name to "Michael Caine". He once joked to an interviewer that had he looked the other way, he would have ended up as "Michael One Hundred and One Dalmatians".

After several minor roles, Caine came into the public eye as an upper-class British army officer in the 1964 film Zulu. This proved paradoxical, as Caine was to become notable for using a regional accent, rather than the Received Pronunciation hitherto considered proper for film actors. At the time, Caine's working-class cockney, just as with The Beatles' Liverpudlian accents, stood out to American and British audiences alike. Zulu was closely followed by two of his best-known roles: the spy "Harry Palmer", in The IPCRESS File (1965), and the woman-chasing Alfie (1966). He went on to play Palmer in a further two films.

His trademark horn-rimmed glasses did not prevent him from becoming a pin-up. After ending the 1960s with the equally iconic The Italian Job with Noel Coward and a solid role as an RAF fighter pilot, Squadron Leader Canfield, in the all-star cast of Battle of Britain (1969), Caine entered the 1970s with Get Carter, a British gangster film.

Caine was busy throughout the 1970s, with successes including Sleuth (1972) opposite Sir Laurence Olivier and The Man Who Would Be King (1975). By the end of the decade he had moved to the U.S., but his choice of roles was beginning to be criticised. Caine was averaging two films a year, but these included such failures as The Swarm (1978), Beyond the Poseidon Adventure (1979), The Island (1980) and The Hand (1981). Although Caine also took better roles, including a BAFTA-winning turn in Educating Rita (1983) and an Oscar-winning one in Hannah and Her Sisters (1986), he continued to appear in notorious duds like Jaws: The Revenge (1987) and Bullseye! (1990). Of the former, Caine famously said "I have never seen the film, but by all accounts it was terrible. However I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." [1]

The 1990s were a lean time for Caine as he found good parts harder to come by. His early '90s output included a villain in the Steven Seagal flop On Deadly Ground (1994), two straight to video Harry Palmer sequels and a few television movies. However, Caine's reputation as a Pop icon was still intact, thanks to his roles in iconic films like The Italian Job and Get Carter. His performance in 1998's Little Voice was seen as something of a return to form, and won him a Golden Globe Award. Better parts followed, including The Cider House Rules (1999, for which he won his second Oscar), Last Orders (2001), The Quiet American (2002) and others which have helped to rehabilitate his reputation. Several of Caine's classic films have been remade to appeal to new, younger audiences, including The Italian Job, Get Carter, and Alfie. In 2005 he was cast as Bruce Wayne's butler Alfred in the Batman film series. In 2006 he appeared in the films Children of Men and The Prestige.

Caine has been Oscar-nominated six times, winning his first Academy Award for the 1986 film, Hannah and Her Sisters, and his second in 1999 for The Cider House Rules, in both cases as a supporting actor. He was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1993 for services to drama, and in 2000 a Knight Bachelor, becoming Sir Maurice Micklewhite. Unlike many actors who adopt their stage name for everyday use, Caine still uses his real name when he is not working.

Caine is a popular subject for impressionists and mimics, having a voice and manner of speaking that are distinctive yet fairly easy to imitate. Most Caine impressions include the catchphrase "Not a lot of people know that". Peter Sellers initiated this, when he appeared on BBC TV's Parkinson show on 28 October 1972 and said:

"Not many people know that. This is my Michael Caine impression. You see, Mike's always quoting from the Guinness Book of Records. At the drop of a hat he'll trot one out. 'Did you know that it takes a man in a tweed suit five and a half seconds to fall from the top of Big Ben to the ground? Now there's not many people know that!'"

Later, there was an answering machine message recorded by Peter Sellers as Caine, saying, "My name is Michael Caine. Peter Sellers is not in at the moment. Not a lot of people know that." It was also parodied in Harry Enfield's Television Programme by Paul Whitehouse, who introduced himself with the line "My name is Michael Paine, and I am a nosey neighbour." In 1983 the remark really caught on, when Caine was given the line to say as an in-joke in the film Educating Rita. In 1984 he also put the name Not A Lot Of People Know That! to a book of trivial facts for charity.

He has stated that his four most memorable roles to him are, in no particular order, Alfie, Get Carter, The Italian Job, and The Muppet Christmas Carol.

Notable Character quotes

"Not many people know that." (Educating Rita)
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" (The Italian Job)
"Hang on a minute, lads, I've got a great idea. Errr..." (The Italian Job)
"You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself!" (Get Carter)
"Look what you done to my bloody car!!" (Blue Ice)
"Pull my finger!" (Children of Men)
"Never" (Batman Begins)
"It's not the size mate, it's how you use it." (Austin Powers)

Personal life

Caine lives at North Stoke in Oxfordshire and Chelsea Harbour in London.

He has been married twice:

The actress Patricia Haines (1955-1958); one daughter Dominique
The actress and model Shakira Baksh (2 January 1973-); one daughter Natasha
Some time after his mother died, Caine and his younger brother learned they had an elder half-brother, named David. He suffered from severe epilepsy and had been kept in hospital his entire life. Although their mother regularly visited her first son in hospital, even her husband did not know the child existed. David died in 1992.

Friendship with Terence Stamp

In the Sixties, Terence Stamp shared a flat with Caine before and during their rise to fame (Stamp became famous first after his Oscar nominated role in Billy Budd). In his autobiography, "Double Feature", Stamp describes various incidents with Caine, including the moment when Caine was offered his breakthrough role in Zulu. This was a couple of hours before Caine's thirtieth birthday, which was a deadline Caine had set himself to "make it" or quit acting. Also, Caine tried to force Stamp to reverse his decision to turn down the role of Alfie; a star role that Caine later accepted. In his later autobiography, "What's it All About", Caine states that he "still wakes up sweating in the night as he sees Terence agreeing to accept my advice". The friendship eventually dwindled at the tail-end of the Sixties and this is described in contrast by Stamp and Caine in their respective autobiographies.

Trivia

He appeared as himself (to speak the line "My name is Michael Caine") on the Madness hit single "Michael Caine" in 1984.
Trivia books written by Caine include Not a Lot of People Know That, Not a Lot of People Know This Either, Michael Caine's Moving Picture Show and Not A Lot of People Know This is 1988.
December 2005 saw the British press speculating that Michael Caine had been offered a million pounds to appear in future episodes of the British soap EastEnders as a character that was recently offered to David Essex, but the role went to Nicky Henson.
Caine is a fan of Chelsea FC. [1]
Caine is one of only two actors to be nominated for an Academy Award for acting (either lead or supporting) in every decade since the 1960s. The other is Jack Nicholson.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:19 am
Quincy Jones

Background information

Birth name Quincy Delightt Jones Jr.
Born March 14, 1933
Chicago, Illinois
Origin New York City, New York
Genre(s) Pop, Jazz
Occupation(s) music impresario, conductor, record producer, musical arranger,
film composer, trumpeter
Years active 1951 - present
Label(s) Mercury, Quest
Associated
acts Michael Jackson,
Frank Sinatra

Quincy Delightt Jones Jr. (born March 14, 1933) is an American music impresario, conductor, record producer, musical arranger, film composer and trumpeter.

During 50 years in the entertainment industry Jones' work has earned him more than 70 Grammy Award nominations, more than 25 Grammy Awards, and a Grammy Legends Award in 1991. He is best known as the producer of two of the top-selling records of all time: the album Thriller, by pop icon Michael Jackson, which sold 104 million copies worldwide, and the charity song "We Are the World".

In 1968, Jones and his songwriting partner Bob Russell became the first African-Americans to be nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Original Song category. That same year, he became the first African-American to be nominated twice within the same year when he was nominated for Best Original Score for his work on the music of In Cold Blood. Jones was also the first (and so far, the only) African-American to be nominated as a producer in the category of Best Picture (in 1986, for The Color Purple). He was also the first African-American to win the Academy's Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, in 1995. He is tied with sound designer Willie D. Burton as the most Oscar-nominated African-American, each of them having seven nominations.

Career

Born on March 14, 1933 in Chicago, Illinois, Jones discovered music in grade school and took up the trumpet. When he was 10, his family moved to Bremerton, Washington.

In 1951, Jones won a scholarship to the Schillinger House in Boston. However, he abandoned his studies when he received an offer to tour as a trumpeter with the legendary bandleader Lionel Hampton. While Jones was on the road with Hampton, he displayed an unusual gift for arranging songs. Jones relocated to New York City, where he received a number of freelance commissions arranging songs for artists like Sarah Vaughan, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Gene Krupa and his old friend Ray Charles.

In 1956, Jones toured again as a trumpeter and musical director of the Dizzy Gillespie Band on a tour of the Middle East and South America sponsored by the United States State Department. Upon his return to the United States, Jones got a contract from ABC Paramount Records and commenced his recording career as the leader of his own band.

Jones moved to Paris, France in 1957. He studied music composition and theory with Nadia Boulanger and Olivier Messiaen. He also performed at the Paris Olympia. Jones became music director at Barclay Disques, the French distributor for Mercury Records and during the 1950s, Jones successfully toured throughout Europe with a number of jazz orchestras. He formed his own band and organized a tour of North America and Europe. Though the tour was a critical success, poor budget planning made it an economic disaster and the fallout left Jones in a financial crisis. Irving Green, head of Mercury Records, got Jones back on his feet with a loan and a new job as the musical director of the company's New York division. In 1964, Jones was promoted to vice-president of the company, thus becoming the first African American to hold such a position. Quoted in Musician magazine, Jones said about his ordeal: "We had the best jazz band in the planet, and yet we were literally starving. That's when I discovered that there was music, and there was the music business. If I were to survive, I would have to learn the difference between the two."

1964 also saw Jones break down another social barrier: at the invitation of film director Sidney Lumet he began composing the first of the 33 major motion picture scores he would eventually write. The result was the legendary score for The Pawnbroker.

With Hollywood beckoning, Jones resigned from Mercury Records and moved to Los Angeles to compose film scores full time. Some of his most celebrated compositions were for the films; Walk, Don't Run, In Cold Blood, In the Heat of the Night, Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, Cactus Flower, The Getaway and The Color Purple. He also scored for television, including the shows Ironside, Sanford and Son and The Bill Cosby Show, as well as the theme music for The New Bill Cosby Show titled "Chump Change", which would later serve as the theme for the Mark Goodson-Bill Todman game show Now You See It.

In the 1960s, Jones worked as an arranger for some of the most important artists of the era, including Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, and Dinah Washington. Jones' solo recordings also garnered acclaim, including Walking in Space, Gula Materi, Smackwater Jack and Ndeda, You've Got It Bad, Girl, Body Heat, Mellow Madness, I Heard That and The Dude.

While working on the film The Wiz, Jones met Michael Jackson, who asked him to produce his upcoming solo record. The result, Off The Wall sold a staggering 20 million copies and made Jones the most powerful record producer in the industry. Jones' and Jackson's next collaboration Thriller sold 50 million copies [1]. Jones also worked on Michael Jackson's third solo album Bad, which sold 30 million copies. After the Bad album, Jackson and Jones went their separate ways so that Jackson could produce his later solo works by himself. In a 2002 interview, when asked if Jackson would ever work with Jones again he replied, "the door is always open". After the 1985 American Music Awards ceremony, Jones used his influence to draw every major American recording artist of the day into a studio to lay down the legendary track We Are The World to raise money for the victims of Ethiopia's famine. When people marvelled at his ability to make the collaboration work, Jones explained that he'd taped a simple sign on the entrance: "Check Your Ego At The Door".

In 1996, Jones collaborated with David Salzman to produce the concert extravaganza An American Reunion, a celebration of Bill Clinton's inauguration as president of the United States.In 1994, Salzman and Jones decided to join their considerable forces and form the company Quincy Jones/David Salzman Entertainment (QDE) with Time/Warner Inc.. QDE is a diverse company which produces media technology, motion pictures, television programs(In the House,The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,and MADtv, literary publications (Vibe and Spin magazines).

In 2001, he published his autobiography Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones.

In the same year 2001, his foundation, the Quincy Jones Listen Up Foundation, built over 100 homes for Nelson Mandela's foundation in South Africa.

In 2004, alongside Carlos Santana, Alicia Keys, Oprah Winfrey, Angelina Jolie, Fher (of Mana), Evander Holyfield, Chris Tucker, and a host of other musicians, celebrities, dignitaries, and politicians, Jones produced the concert "WE ARE THE FUTURE" in front of a more than half-million person live audience in Rome, Italy. The concert raised funds for Jones' foundation, the Quincy Jones Listen Up Foundation.

Social activism

Quincy Jones' social activism began in the 1960s with his support of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Jones is one of the founders of the Institute for Black American Music (IBAM) whose events aim to raise enough funds for the creation of a national library of African-American art and music. Jones is also one of the founders of the Black Arts Festival in his hometown Chicago. For many years he has worked closely with Bono of U2 on a number of philanthropic issues. He is the founder of the Quincy Jones Listen Up Foundation, a charity which connects youths with technology, education, culture and music. One of the organizations programs is an intercultural exchange between underprivileged youths from Los Angeles and South Africa. Jones supports a number of other charities including the NAACP, GLAAD, Peace Games and AmFAR.

Career retrospective

In 2000, Harvard University endowed the Quincy Jones Professorship of Afro-American Music with a grant of $3 million from Time Warner. The endowed chair for African-American music, housed in Harvard's African and African-American Studies Department is believed to be the first in the nation, and is presently held by the ethnomusicologist Ingrid Monson. Distinguished scholar and public intellecual Henry Louis Gates, Jr. is a close, personal friend of Jones's.

In January 2005, Jones was honored by the United Negro College Fund at their annual Evening of Stars event for an entertainment career that has spanned over five decades. The unique alchemy of Jones' talent is that his music remains relevant from one generation to the next. Jones began his career in bebop, yet his ability to compose proved to transcend both genre and demographic. His work still tops music charts as was evident when rapper/actor Ludacris sampled Jones' Soul Bossa Nova for his 2005 single Number One Spot. Jones was featured in the video and he also performed a cameo in Austin Powers in Goldmember, which also featured Soul Bossa Nova on its soundtrack.

Today, Jones is at the helm of his company Quincy Jones Entertainment which produced the popular television sitcom Fresh Prince of Bel-Air starring Will Smith. Jones is also the founder of Vibe Magazine and owner of the publication Spin.

He is also known for finding Tamia who during her time with Quincy Jones was nominated for 2 Grammy Awards for her song You Put A Move On My Heart which can be found on Tamia's UK album version "Tamia" & on Q's Juke Joint album.

Even in Japan, popstar BoA released a single called Quincy in 2004 that was a "soul disco" song in homage to his legacy. (The single made it to #4 on the Japanese Oricon Charts.)

Berklee College of Music considers Jones to be its most successful alumnus, even though he only attended for a year. His original application for admission is housed in a display case at the school.

On September 19, 2005, Jones was honored at the Dance Music Hall of Fame ceremony when he was inducted for his many outstanding achievements as a producer. He was awarded the Polar Music Prize in 1994. Jones was portrayed by Larenz Tate in the 2004 biography about Ray Charles, Ray.

Personal life

Quincy Jones is the eldest son of Quincy Delightt Jones Sr. and Jones Sr.'s first wife, Sara. The younger Jones was raised in Chicago, Illinois and Washington state.

In 1974, Jones suffered a cerebral aneurysm that almost claimed his life. He underwent two major brain surgeries and spent half a year convalescing. He was advised never to play trumpet again as it might disturb the settings left in his head by the procedure.

According to this page, Jones never learned to drive, citing an accident in which he was a passenger (at age 14) as the reason.

Marriages and Children

Jones has been married three times:

to Jeri Caldwell from 1957 to 1966; they had a daughter, singer Jolie Jones Levine
to Ulla Andersson from 1967 to 1974; they had two children, Martina Jones and son Quincy Jones III;
to actress Peggy Lipton from 1974 to 1990; they had two daughters, actresses Kidada Jones and Rashida Jones.
Jones also had a brief affair with Carol Reynolds; they had a daughter, Rachel Jones. He lived with actress Nastassja Kinski from 1991 until 1997; in 1993, they had a daughter, Kenya Julia Miambi Sarah Jones .

Quotes

"The tragedy of Tupac is that his untimely passing is representive of too many young black men in this country....If we had lost Oprah Winfrey at 25, we would have lost a relatively unknown, local market TV anchorwoman. If we had lost Malcolm X at 25, we would have lost a hustler named Detroit Red. And if I had left the world at 25, we would have lost a big-band trumpet player and aspiring composer-just a sliver of my eventual life potential."
"I was never very good at music when I was little. I never paid any attention to it in school."
"People have called me a jazz musician, but that's ludicrous. I have yet to figure out what a jazz musician is."
"Not one drop of my self-worth depends on your acceptance of me"
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:24 am
Rita Tushingham

Born March 14, 1942
Garston, Liverpool
Spouse(s) Terry Bicknell (1962 - ?)
Ousama Rawi (? - 1996)
Hans-Heinrich Ziemann (partner)
Official site Rita Tushingham
Golden Globe Awards

Best Acting Debut
1963 A Taste of Honey
Nominated Best actress
1965 The Knack...And How to Get It
BAFTA Awards

Most promising newcomer
1962 A Taste of Honey
Nominated Best actress
1965 The Knack...And How to Get It
1966 Girl With Green Eyes

Rita Tushingham (b. 14 March 1942, Liverpool, England) is an English actress.

Career

She started her career as a stage actress at the Liverpool Playhouse. Her screen debut was in A Taste of Honey (1961), the groundbreaking movie of the British realist tradition. She had memorable performances in The Leather Boys (1962), Girl With Green Eyes (1963), The Knack...and How to Get It (1965), Doctor Zhivago (1965) and Smashing Time (1967).

One of her most memorable performances was in The Trap (1966) in which she played the role of a mute woman. She carried the entire film without a single word of dialogue, relying instead upon her hyper-expressive eyes and face.

She was an icon of 1960s Britain, and was popularised again in the 1980s by her appearance in Carla Lane's Bread.

Clips from her performance in The Leather Boys appear in The Smiths' video for the single, "Girlfriend in a Coma", in 1987. She is also mentioned in the Franz Ferdinand song "L. Wells".

She was last seen in the film Being Julia (2005) as Julia (Annette Bening)'s aunt.

Personal life

Tushingham married the photographer Terry Bicknell in 1962. They had two daughters, Dodonna and Aisha Bicknell, together. In 1981, she married Iraqi cinematographer Ousama Rawi, spending 8 years in Canada with him. She now divides her time between Germany and London, with her partner, since the mid-1990s, writer Hans-Heinrich Ziemann.

In April, 2005, at the age of 33, her daughter, Aisha Bicknell, was diagnosed as suffering from breast cancer. Tushingham has became a activist for breast cancer health and support ([1]). She and her daughter support Cancer Research UK's Relay for Life and have given a number of interviews for raising breast cancer awareness ([2]).
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:28 am
Billy Crystal

Birth name William Jacob Crystal
Born March 14, 1948 (age 59)
Long Beach, New York, New York, USA
Spouse(s) Janice Crystal (m Jun 4 1970, present) 2 children

Billy Crystal (born Israel William Krisstalsterne on March 14, 1948 in Long Beach, New York) is a Golden Globe Award-winning and Emmy Award-winning Jewish American actor, writer, producer, comedian and film director.

Personal life

Crystal was born in Long Beach, New York. He is a very devoted New York Yankees and Los Angeles Clippers fan.

Career

Crystal returned to New York and studied film and television direction under Martin Scorsese at New York University. Crystal's earliest prominent role was as "Jodie Dallas" on Soap, one of the first gay characters portrayed on American television.

He was scheduled to appear on the first episode of Saturday Night Live (October 11, 1975), but his sketch was cut. He did do a stand-up bit later on that first season as "Bill Crystal", on the April 17, 1976 episode. After hosting a show years later, in 1984, he joined the cast. His most famous recurring sketch was his parody of Fernando Lamas. Crystal's "Fernando" is a smarmy talk show host whose catch phrase, "You look mahvelous!" became a media sensation.

He appeared briefly in Rob Reiner's 1984 "rockumentary" This Is Spinal Tap as Morty The Mime, a waiter dressed as a mime at one of Spinal Tap's parties. He shared the scene with a then-unknown Dana Carvey, who didn't speak. Crystal's memorable line in the film was "Mime is money." Eventually, Reiner directed Crystal again in The Princess Bride and then in the romantic comedy When Harry Met Sally..., for which Crystal was nominated for a Golden Globe.

Crystal also made game show appearances such as The Hollywood Squares and The $20,000 Pyramid. He holds the record for getting his contestant partner to the top of the pyramid in the bonus round in the fastest time which is 26 seconds.

Crystal wrote, directed and starred in Forget Paris (1995) and Mr. Saturday Night (1992). He directed the made for television movie 61* based on Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle's race to break Babe Ruth's single-season home run record in 1961. This earned Crystal an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Special.

In 1986, Crystal started hosting Comic Relief on HBO with Robin Williams, and Whoopi Goldberg. Comic Relief, which was founded in 1986 by Andy Kaufman sidekick Bob Zmuda, raises money for homeless men, women and children in the United States.

Crystal hosted the Academy Awards broadcast in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1997, 1998, 2000 and 2004, and, apparently, turned down the opportunity to host the 2006 ceremony wanting to concentrate on his one-man show. He is second only to legendary Oscar host, Bob Hope, in most ceremonies hosted.

Crystal continued working, appearing in popular films such as Deconstructing Harry with Woody Allen and then Analyze This with Robert De Niro. Analyze This even had a sequel, where both Crystal and De Niro returned, called Analyze That.

Crystal is preparing for the national tour of his hit solo show 700 Sundays. The two-act play, which he conceived and wrote, is about his parents and his childhood growing up on Long Island. Crystal won the 2005 Tony Award for Best Special Theatrical Event for 700 Sundays and will bring the show back to Broadway for a limited run in 2006.

Following the initial success of the play, Crystal wrote the book 700 Sundays for Warner Books, which was published on October 31, 2005. In conjunction with the book and the play, which also paid tribute to Gabler, Crystal produced two CD compilations: Billy Crystal Presents: The Milt Gabler Story featured the most influential recordings his uncle produced from Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" to "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley & His Comets; Billy Remembers Billie featured Crystal's favorite Holiday recordings.

Crystal has lent his voice to Pixar's animated feature film Monsters, Inc. as the voice of Mike Wazowski, and in the English version of Howl's Moving Castle as the voice of Calcifer. Pixar had originally approached him to provide the voice of Buzz Lightyear, but he turned down their offer, something he regretted later.

On Tuesday September 6, 2005 on The Tonight Show, Crystal and Jay Leno were the first celebrities to sign a Harley-Davidson motorcycle to be auctioned off for Gulf Coast relief.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:33 am
Barbara Walters of 20/20 did a story on gender roles in Kabul,

Afghanistan, several years before the Afghan conflict. She noted that the women customarily walked 5 paces behind their husbands.

She recently returned to Kabul and observed that women still walk behind their husbands. From Ms Walters vantage point, despite the overthrow of the oppressive Taliban regime, the women now seem to walk even further back behind their husbands and are happy to maintain the old custom. Ms. Walters approached one of the Afghani women and asked "Why do you now seem happy with the old custom that you once tried so desperately to change?" The women looked Ms. Walters straight in the eyes and without hesitation, said "Land

mines."

Moral of the story: Behind every man is a smart woman!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 10:07 am
Well, folks. There's our hawkman with a great group of notables and a shrewd observation about women. Love it, honey, and, of course we know there was not one blonde among them. Razz

We know most of your famous folks, I think. I even recognized Martin Buber, the very unusual existentialist, and a man after Satre's own heart.

Well, until our Raggedy gives us all a facial, we shall await further comment. Let's do a song about Alfie by Dionne Warick, shall we?

What's it all about, Alfie?
Is it just for the moment we live?
What's it all about when you sort it out, Alfie?
Are we meant to take more than we give
or are we meant to be kind?
And if only fools are kind, Alfie,
then I guess it's wise to be cruel.
And if life belongs only to the strong, Alfie,
what will you lend on an old golden rule?
As sure as I believe there's a heaven above, Alfie,
I know there's something much more,
something even non-believers can believe in.
I believe in love, Alfie.
Without true love we just exist, Alfie.
Until you find the love you've missed you're nothing, Alfie.
When you walk let your heart lead the way
and you'll find love any day, Alfie, Alfie.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:21 am
Good afternoon WA2K.

Faces to match:

http://www.loc.gov/shop/images/catalog/items/enlarge/enlarge_21507339.jpg
http://www.poster.net/caine-michael/caine-michael-photo-michael-caine-6202250.jpghttp://www.vh1.com/sitewide/flipbooks/img/movies/people/c/caine_michael/1983378_10.jpg
http://images.askmen.com/men/entertainment_60/pictures_60/folder_1/quincy_jones/quincy_jones_150.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/spootnek/Tushingham/Misc2.jpghttp://entimg.msn.com/i/150/Movies/Actors2/CRYSTAL_TB115637_150x200.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:43 am
Well, folks, there's our Raggedy with familiar faces. (Rita is not familiar to me, however) Thanks, PA. Great quintet, gal.

Albert, Michael, Quincy, and Billy are institutions, methinks.

Quincy Jones is one fabulous writer of song, but although I tried to find "Soul Bossa Nova" from the movie Austin Powers, I did not have the luck of the Irish today.

Let's listen to this on by Quincy.

In the Heat of the Night

In the Heat of the Night.
I've got troubles on the wall.
Must be an ending to it all.

But hold on
It won't be long
If you be strong
And it'll be alright.

0 Replies