nuisances I committed

Do I wanna be a dog
cut the heat out of me
if I was a damned old dog
I wouldn't have to goddamn human be
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 05:21 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Hey, dj. Not everyone wants to be a new dog learning old tricks. Love the song, however.

Here is a mixed bag of tricks for the animal in all of us:

To the tune of "My Favorite Things"
Chipmunks in stone walls, and mice in the flowers
Mommy and Daddy when they're out of the showers
Bats, which are really just rodents with wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Birdies and squirrels who play in the tree top
Bunnies and Froggies and things that go hip hop
Tasty small moles who come out in the spring

When the dog barks
When the car starts
When Mom and Dad go away
I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't go astray

Salmon and duck soup and yes, even peanuts
Bouncing red lasers that still drive me nuts
Pieces of yarn and loose dangling string
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:00 am
Hermione Gingold
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hermione Gingold (December 9, 1897-May 24, 1987) was an English actress known for her sharp-tongued, eccentric persona, an image enhanced by her sharp nose and chin, as well as her deepening voice, a result of vocal nodes which her mother encouraged her not to remove. She appeared on stage, on radio, in films, on television, and in recordings.

Biography

Born Hermione Ferdinanda Gingold in London, she was the daughter of a high-class Austrian-born Jewish financier Lionel Gingold and Kate Walters, an English-born housewife. Her mother must also have been Jewish since her marriage to Lionel in 1894 was conducted by the Chief Rabbi. On her father's side she was descended from the celebrated Solomon Sulzer, a famous synagogue cantor and Jewish liturgical composer in Vienna, who was a friend of composer Schubert and was made a freeman of the city on his 70th birthday. Gingold was a childhood friend of Noel Coward until her mother warned her away from him. First appearing on stage in 1909, she was originally a coloratura soprano and performed in Shakespearean dramas such as "The Merchant of Venice" and "Troilus and Cressida" and worked with Charles Hawtrey as an understudy. In the 1930s, her quirky, ribald comedic sense became famous through musical revues. She married British publisher Michael Joseph in 1918, with whom she had two sons, Stephen and Leslie. After her divorce in 1926, she married writer and lyricist Eric Maschwitz, whom she divorced in 1945. Gingold was also known for her unruly hair. It was said she styled it by sticking her head out the window and letting the wind sculpt it.

Gingold was introduced to U.S. servicemen during World War II through the London revue "Sweet and Low." After moving to the United States in 1951, Gingold became a great success there as well. She won a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in the 1958 movie Gigi in which she played Madame Alvarez, a retired Parisian courtesan who was Gigi's grandmother and mentor. She sang "I Remember it Well" with Maurice Chevalier. She succeeded Jo Van Fleet as the monstrously possessive mother who is driving her son crazy in Jewish American playwright Arthur Kopit's Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mama's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feelin' So Sad (1963) on Broadway and also in London, which role was played in the 1967 film by Rosalind Russell.

Gingold played the mayor's snooty wife Eulalie Mackechnie Shinn in The Music Man (1962), starring Robert Preston and Shirley Jones, and was part of the original 1973 Broadway cast of A Little Night Music in the role of the elderly Madame Armfeldt, yet another former courtesan, this time Swedish, which she reprised in the unsuccessful film version of the musical.

In 1977, with conductor Karl Bohm, she won a Grammy Award for Best Album for Children for Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf and Saint-Saëns: Carnival of the Animals. She was a regular guest on television talk shows, especially Jack Paar's, where audiences loved her stories. She is quoted as saying, "Fighting is essentially a masculine idea; a woman's weapon is her tongue." She died of heart problems and pneumonia in 1987 at the age of 89, although she disputed the year of birth (1897) assigned to her. She is interred in a crypt in the Great Mausoleum in Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California.

Her autobiography How to Grow Old Disgracefully was published posthumously in 1988.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:06 am
Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

Born December 9, 1909
New York, New York, U.S.A.
Died May 7, 2000
New York, New York, U.S.A.

Douglas Elton Fairbanks, Jr., KBE, DSC (December 9, 1909 - May 7, 2000) was an American actor and a highly decorated naval officer of World War II.

Birth

Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. was born in New York City, the son of actor Douglas Fairbanks and his first wife, Anna Beth Sully. His parents divorced when he was ten years old. He lived with his mother in California, Paris, and London.

Hollywood

Largely on the basis of his name, he was given a contract at age fourteen with Paramount Pictures. After making some undistinguished films, he took to the stage, where he impressed his father, his step-mother Mary Pickford, and Charlie Chaplin, who encouraged him to continue with acting.

First marriage

He was also noticed by Joan Crawford who began to date him. On June 3, 1929, at Saint Malachy's Roman Catholic Church in New York, New York Crawford and Fairbanks were married. He was technically underage, so one year was added to his birth (giving him 1908 as his year of birth), and Crawford shed three years from her age, which would remain shed until long after her death, giving her the same year of birth that Fairbanks had created for himself, 1908.

He went on a delayed honeymoon to England, where he was entertained by Noel Coward and George, Duke of Kent. He became active in both society and politics, but Crawford didn't enjoy either of these, and they were divorced in May 1933.

Fairbanks starred in several pre-Code films with Loretta Young, and supported Katharine Hepburn in her Oscar-winning role in the film Morning Glory (1933).

With Little Caesar, Outward Bound, Gunga Din and The Dawn Patrol, his movies began to have more commercial success.

Second marriage

On April 22, 1939, he married Mary Lee Hartford (née Mary Lee Epling), a former wife of George Huntington Hartford, the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company heir: they had three daughters. Mary Lee Fairbanks died of cancer in 1988. Three years later, on May 30, 1991, he married Vera Shelton at St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York.

World War II

In 1941, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt appointed him a special envoy to South America.

Although celebrated as an actor, Fairbanks most enduring legacy was a well-kept secret for decades. At the onset of World War II, Fairbanks was commissioned a Reserve Officer in the U.S. Navy and assigned to Lord Mountbatten's Commando staff in England.

Having witnessed (and participated in) British training and cross-channel harassment operations emphasizing the military art of deception, Fairbanks attained a depth of understanding and appreciation of military deception then unheard of in the United States Navy. Lieutenant Fairbanks was subsequently transferred to Virginia Beach where he came under the command of Admiral H. Kent Hewitt, who was preparing U.S. Naval forces for the invasion of North Africa.

Fairbanks was able to convince Hewitt of the advantages of such a unit, and Admiral Hewitt soon took Fairbanks to Washington, D.C. to sell the idea to the Chief of Naval Operations, ADM Ernest King. Fairbanks succeeded and ADM King issued a secret letter on 5 March 1943 charging the Vice Chief of Naval Operations with the recruitment of 180 officers and 300 enlisted men for the Beach Jumper program.

The Beach Jumpers mission would simulate amphibious landings with a very limited force. Operating dozens of kilometers from the actual landing beaches and utilizing their deception equipment, the Beach Jumpers would lure the enemy into believing that theirs was the location of the amphibious beach landing, when in fact the actual amphibious landing would be conducted at another location. Even if the enemy was less than 100-percent convinced of the deception, the uncertainty created by the operations could conceivably delay enemy reinforcement of the actual landing area by several crucial hours.

U.S. Navy Beach Jumpers saw their initial action in Operation Husky, the invasion of Sicily. Throughout the remainder of the war, the Beach Jumpers conducted their hazardous, shallow-water operations throughout the Mediterranean.

For his planning the diversion-deception operations and his part in the amphibious assault on Southern France, Lieutenant Commander Fairbanks was awarded the U.S. Navy's Legion of Merit with bronze V (for valor), the Italian War Cross for Military Valor, the French Legion d'Honneur and the Croix de Guerre with Palm, and the British Distinguished Service Cross.

He was also made an Honorary Knight Commander of the British Empire (KBE) in 1949.

It is not a stretch to say that Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. was the father of the United States Navy's Information Operations. As for the Beach Jumpers, they changed names several times in the decades following World War II, expanded their focus, and are currently known as the Navy Information Operations Command.

Many of the Navy's most important information operations since World War II remain classified, but it is clear that the U.S. military retains its interest in this art of war.

Post-War Years

Fairbanks, Jr. returned to Hollywood at the conclusion of World War II and enjoyed success as host of the Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Theater in the early years of television.

Fairbanks was a definite Anglophile and spent a good deal of his time in Britain, where he was well known in the highest social circles. The College of Arms in London granted Fairbanks a coat of arms that symbolizes the U.S. and Britain united across the blue Atlantic Ocean by a silken knot of friendship.

Death

He died of a heart attack in New York at the age of 90. He is interred in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Hollywood, California, in the same crypt as his father.

Legacy

Fairbanks has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, one for motion pictures at 6318 Hollywood Boulevard and one for television at 6665 Hollywood Boulevard.

Trivia

It has been claimed that Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. was one of the naked men in the incriminating photos which were used as evidence in the divorce trial of Margaret Campbell, Duchess of Argyll in 1963.[1]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:11 am
Broderick Crawford

William Broderick Crawford (born December 9, 1911; died April 26, 1986) was an American actor. Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Lester Crawford and Helen Broderick, he was stereotyped as a rough-talking tough guy, frequently a bad guy. His parents were vaudeville performers, and his mother, Helen Broderick, had a minor career in Hollywood comedies. Crawford gained fame in 1937 when he starred in Of Mice and Men on Broadway. He moved to Hollywood afterwards, but did not get the role in the movie version of the play.

In 1949, Crawford was cast as Willie Stark (a character based on Louisiana politician Huey Long) in All the King's Men, for which he won the Academy Award for Best Actor. The following year he starred in another smash hit film, Born Yesterday.

Despite these successes, Crawford's career suffered due to type casting. He moved to television, most notably starring in the police drama series Highway Patrol, as "Chief" Dan Matthews. He made several European films, but few more in Hollywood.

Crawford died in 1986 in Rancho Mirage, California, after suffering a stroke.

Crawford has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, one for motion pictures at 6901 Hollywood Blvd., and one for television at 6734 Hollywood Blvd.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:14 am
Kirk Douglas

Birth name Issur Danielovitch Demsky
Born December 09, 1916 (age 89)
Amsterdam, New York, USA

Kirk Douglas (born Issur Danielovitch Demsky December 9, 1916) is a Jewish American actor and film producer known for his gravelly voice and his recurring roles as the kinds of characters Douglas himself once described as "sons of bitches". He is also father to Hollywood actor and producer Michael Douglas. He came in at #17 on the list of the greatest male American screen legends of all time and is one of two living actors on the list (Sidney Poitier being the other).

Early life

Douglas was born Issur Danielovitch Demsky in Amsterdam, New York to Herschel Danielovitch and Bryna Sanglel, poor Belarusian Jewish parents who immigrated from Homel (also known as Gomel). He was on the wrestling team at St. Lawrence University. To help make his way through college, he thought getting an acting scholarship might work. His talents got him noticed at the acclaimed American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City, where he soon received a scholarship, alongside classmate Betty Joan Perske (soon to be better known as Lauren Bacall). Another classmate was aspiring Bermudian actress, Diana Dill. He then served in the U.S. Navy from the entry of the US into World War II in 1941 until it ended in 1945. In 1943, his former classmate, Diana Dill, appeared on the cover of Life magazine. Seeing her photograph, Douglas told his fellow sailors that he would marry her, which he did on 2 November, 1943..After the war, he returned to New York City and started doing radio theater and commercials, while trying to break in on Broadway.

Douglas was helped by actress Lauren Bacall in obtaining his first screen role in the Hal B. Wallis movie The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946), starring Barbara Stanwyck. Wallis was on his way to New York to look for new talent when Bacall suggested he look up her old drama school classmate, who was working in an off-Broadway play at the time.

Career

Kirk Douglas received three Academy Award nominations for his work in Champion, The Bad and the Beautiful and Lust for Life (as Vincent Van Gogh). Douglas did not win any competitive Oscars, but received a special Oscar in 1996 for "50 years as a moral and creative force in the motion picture community".

He also played an important role in breaking the Hollywood blacklist by publicly opposing Stanley Kubrick's intention to take credit for the screenplay of Spartacus, which had been adapted from Howard Fast's novel by the blacklisted Dalton Trumbo. Douglas had collaborated closely with Kubrick in Paths of Glory, where Douglas played one of his most memorable roles, as Colonel Dax, the commander of a French regiment during World War I ordered to make a suicidal attack.

For his contributions to the motion picture industry, Kirk Douglas has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6263 Hollywood Blvd. In 1984, he was inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Jimmy Carter greets Kirk Douglas and Mrs. Douglas, March 16, 1978In October 2004, the avenue "Kirk Douglas Way" in Palm Springs, California was named in his honor by the Palm Springs International Film Society and Film Festival.

Popular at home and around the world, Kirk Douglas received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1981, the French Legion of Honor in 1985, and the National Medal of the Arts in 2001.

In 1996, he suffered a stroke, partially impairing his ability to speak.

Family

Douglas married twice, first to Diana Dill (born January 22, 1923; married November 2, 1943; divorced in 1951), with whom he had two sons, actor Michael Douglas and producer Joel Douglas. His second wife is Anne Buydens (married May 29, 1954 to present) with whom he has two sons, producer Peter Vincent Douglas born November 23, 1955 and actor Eric Douglas (born June 1958; died July 6, 2004 of an accidental drug overdose).
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:18 am
Dina Merrill

Nedenia Marjorie Hutton (born December 9, 1925) is an American actress known as Dina Merrill.

Born in New York City, she is the daughter of Wall Street stockbroker Edward Francis Hutton and Post Cereals heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post.

Dina Merill has been in over twenty two motion pictures including Desk Set with Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, The Sundowners, Don't Give Up The Ship, Caddyshack II, I'll Take Sweden with Bob Hope, The Young Savages with Burt Lancaster, A Nice Little Bank That Should Be Robbed with Mickey Rooney, Catch Me If You Can, Operation Petticoat with Cary Grant (whom later married her cousin, Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton) and Tony Curtis, The Courtship of Eddie's Father with Glenn Ford and Ron Howard, Butterfield 8 with Elizabeth Taylor, A Wedding with Desi Arnaz jr. and Carol Burnett, True Colors with John Cusack, and The Player with Whoopi Goldberg.

Merrill appeared regularly on television in the 1960s. For example, she did a stint as one of the What's My Line? Mystery Guests on the popular Sunday Night CBS-TV program, and later served as a guest panelist on the quiz show.

Dina Merrill has been married three times. Her first husband was Stanley M. Rumbough, Jr., an heir to the Colgate-Palmolive toothpaste fortune and entrepreneur; they married in 1946 and divorced in 1966. They had three children, Stanley Hutton Rumbough, David Post Rumbough (deceased 1973), and Nina Colgate Rumbough. Her second husband was the American actor Cliff Robertson (married 1966, divorced 1986); they had one daughter, Heather Robertson. Her current husband is former actor Ted Hartley; they have been married since 1989. Dina Merrill has six grandchildren; Denia Craig and Welyn Craig by Nina and Charles Stiffler Craig, David (Cole) Colgate Rumbough, Allegra Hutton Rumbough, Siena Post Rumbough, and Kiera Basten Rumbough by Stanley and Leah Jensen.

A corporate remnant named RKO Pictures was purchased by Merrill and Hartley in 1989 with a plan to resurrect it as a motion picture production company.

On April 6, 2005, in New York City, at the Museum of Television and Radio, of which she is a member of the Board of Directors, Ms. Merrill introduced a screening of Budd Schulberg's 1959 TV production What Makes Sammy Run?. She was in this production. Mr. Schulberg was also at the screening.

Dina Merrill is a significant shareholder and director of Lehman Brothers and serves as the chairman of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee and is a member of the Bank's Compensation and Benefits Committee. Ms. Merrill is a presidential appointee to the Board of Trustees of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, a trustee of the Eugene O'Neill Theater Foundation, a vice president of the New York City Mission Society, and serves on the Board of the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.

She is also a member of the Board of ORBIS International, a global, nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing blindness through education and transferring the medical skills to treat and prevent blindness in developing countries.

She is a pro-choice Republican.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:22 am
Dick Van Patten

Dick Van Patten (born December 9, 1928) is an American actor.

Biography

Early life

Van Patten was born in New York City, New York to Josephine Rose Acerno, an Italian American, and Richard Byron Van Patten, who had distant Dutch ancestry from a great-grandfather.[1] He is the older brother of actress Joyce Van Patten and uncle of Talia Balsam. He has been married to the former Patricia Poole since 1954 and is the father of three sons, all actors: Vincent Van Patten, Nels Van Patten and James Van Patten.

Career

Van Patten started his career in showbiz as a child actor on Broadway in 1937's The Eternal Road as Dickie Van Patten, appearing in 12 more Broadway shows while still in his teens. He moved on to television and movies with the 1949 TV series I Remember Mama which ran from 1949 to 1957, and as patriarch Tom Bradford on Eight is Enough, 1977 to 1981. His most famous film role is King Roland in the Mel Brooks Star Wars spoof, Spaceballs.

Personal life

Van Patten was in the news in early December 2005 for lending his name to Natural Balance, a line of high-end dog food that is intended to be indistinguishable from stews and other dishes (or table scraps) that are normally intended for human consumption. He has demonstrated this by eating, on at least one occasion, his own brand of dog food in tandem with some pet.

In January 2006, the actor was taken to Cedar Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles after suffering a diabetic stroke. Van Patten, who suffers from Type 2 diabetes, sustained some speech impairment and paralysis from the stroke.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:26 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:30 am
Judi Dench

Dame Judi Dench

Birth name Judith Olivia Dench
Born 9 December 1934
North Yorkshire, England

Dame Judith Olivia Dench, CH, DBE (born 9 December 1934) known as Dame Judi Dench, is an Academy Award-winning English actress. In Britain, Dench has developed a reputation as arguably the greatest actress in post-World War II history, primarily through her work in theatre, which has been her main forte throughout her career. She has more than once come first in polls to find Britain's best actress.[1] [2] Furthermore, she gained worldwide popular fame when she took over the role of M in the James Bond film series in 1995.

Biography

Early & personal life

Dench was born in York, North Yorkshire to Reginald Arthur Dench and Olave and was raised a Quaker. Her notable relatives include Emma Dench, eminent Roman historian at Birkbeck, University of London. When Dench was thirteen, she entered The Mount School, York. In 1971 she married British actor Michael Williams and they had their only child, Tara Cressida Williams (aka "Finty Williams"), on 24 September 1972. Their daughter later became an actor like her parents. Dame Judi starred with her husband in the 1980s British sitcom, A Fine Romance. Michael Williams died of lung cancer, aged 65, in 2001. She is a patron of The Leaveners, Friends' School Saffron Walden[3] and the Archway Theatre, Horley, UK.

Career

She received her dramatic training at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London and made her professional debut as Ophelia in Hamlet in Liverpool in 1957. She subsequently spent several seasons in repertory in Oxford and Nottingham. In 1961, she joined the Royal Shakespeare Company and made numerous appearances with the company in Stratford and London over the next two decades, winning several best actress awards.

Dench has also made numerous appearances in the West End and with the National Theatre in London. She is a multiple winner of the main awards for performances on the London stage, including a record six Laurence Olivier Awards. She has also appeared with success on Broadway in Amy's Room,and has occasionally directed plays.

As she enters her seventies, Dame Judi remains probably the biggest draw on the London stage. She is often compared and contrasted with Dame Maggie Smith, another British actress of the same generation, with whom she has appeared in several movies, including the 2004 Ladies in Lavender, and on stage in David Hare's two-hander Breath of Life. She returned to the West End stage in April 2006 in Hay Fever alongside Peter Bowles, Belinda Lang and Kim Medcalf.

Her many television appearances include lead roles in the series As Time Goes By and A Fine Romance. Dench was created an Officer of the British Empire (OBE) in 1970, and raised to Dame Commander (DBE) in 1988. She was made a Companion of Honour (CH) in 2005. In 2000-2001 she received an Honorary DLitt from Durham University.

Dame Judi Dench, has frequently appeared with her close friend Geoffrey Palmer in the series As Time Goes By and in the films Mrs. Brown and Tomorrow Never Dies, both filmed in 1997.

Dench won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for playing Elizabeth I in the film Shakespeare in Love. That same year, Australian actress Cate Blanchett was also nominated in the lead actress category for portraying the same character. Dench's win was notable as her performance in Shakespeare in Love lasted for about eight minutes, and that two actresses playing the same role were both nominated in the same year. Other roles have had multiple nominations in Oscar history, including: Mafia chieftain Don Vito Corleone, also by two different actors. Some actors have been nominated more than once for the same role, including poolshark "Fast Eddie" Felson (Paul Newman), Fr. O'Malley (Bing Crosby), Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) and King Henry II (Peter O'Toole).
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:33 am
Beau Bridges

Birth name Lloyd Vernet Bridges III
Born December 9, 1941
Los Angeles, California, United States

Beau Bridges, (born Lloyd Vernet Bridges III on December 9, 1941 in Los Angeles, California), is an American actor. He is the son of actor Lloyd Bridges and his college sweetheart, Dorothy Dean Simpson. He was nicknamed "Beau" by his mother and father after Ashley Wilkes' son in Gone with the Wind, the title of the book they were reading at the time. Bridges is also the older brother of actor Jeff Bridges, born in 1949. Their sister, Cindy, was born in 1950.

In 1949, Bridges played a secondary juvenile role in the movie The Red Pony, for which he received good billing. Wanting to be a basketball star, however, he played his freshman year at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and later transferred to the University of Hawaii. Realizing his height was holding him back from excelling in basketball, however, he dropped out of school to continue acting instead.

Bridges enjoys playing guitar (as does his brother), collects Native American percussion instruments, loves the ocean (as well as swimming and surfing), and is also active in handgun control and environmental protection.

After the release of the 1989 movie The Wizard, Beau earned the nickname "Bumblin' Beau Bridges" due to his character's constant bumbling throughout the film.

In 1995, he starred in the first 2 part episode of the new series of The Outer Limits

In 1998, he starred as Judge Bob Gibbs in the one-season Maximum Bob, on the ABC TV network.

In 2001, he guest-starred as Daniel McFarland, the stepfather of Jack McFarland, in two episodes of the NBC sitcom Will & Grace.

In January 2005, he was cast as Major General Hank Landry, the new commander of Stargate Command in Stargate SG-1, succeeding Brigadier General Jack O'Neill, played by Richard Dean Anderson. He has also played the character in four episodes of the spin-off series Stargate Atlantis.

In November 2005, he guest-starred as Carl Hickey, the father of the title character in 2 episodes of the hit NBC Comedy My Name is Earl.

Marriages and children

Beau Bridges married Julie Landfield in 1964 but they divorced in 1984. They had two sons:

Casey Bridges (b. 1969, adopted)
Jordan Bridges (b. 1973)
Soon afterwards, in the same year 1984, he married his current wife, Wendy Treece Bridges. The couple has three children:

Dylan Bridges (b. 1985)
Emily "Beau" Bridges (b. 1987)
Ezekiel (Zeke) Jeffry Bridges (b. 1993)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:37 am
Donny Osmond

Donald Clark 'Donny' Osmond (born December 9, 1957) is an American entertainer. He is a singer, musician, actor and former teen idol. He has also been a talk show and game show host, record producer, race car driver and author. He is known for being half of the brother-sister singing act Donny & Marie.

Biography

Early life

Osmond was born in Ogden, Utah, to Olive May Davis and George Virl Osmond. He is the brother of Alan, Jay, Jimmy, Merrill, Wayne, Marie, Tom, and Virl Osmond. Alan, Jay, Merrill, Wayne, and Donny were members of the popular singing group The Osmonds (also known as The Osmond Brothers). His family nicknamed him 'Corky', as a boy, because he was a show-stopper. Osmond never took piano lessons; he learned by ear and from watching his brother Alan play.

Career

Osmond became a teen idol in the early 1970s as a solo singer, in addition to performing with his older brothers. As a teen heartthrob, Donny's signature color was purple, and he always wore purple socks on the television show Donny & Marie. In the mid '70s, he teamed up with his younger sister, Marie. The duo recorded several albums together, before and during they starred in their own television variety series, Donny & Marie, which aired on ABC between 1976 and 1979.

When Donny & Marie came to an end, Osmond worked to reinvent himself as a solo artist. He spent several years as a performer, before collaborating with Peter Gabriel and returning to the US charts in 1989 with the song "Soldier Of Love" and its follow- up "Sacred Emotion". The campaign to market "Soldier Of Love" received a lot of airplay with the singer being presented as a 'mystery artist', before his identity was later revealed. Although his first foray into Broadway musical theatre, playing the title role in Little Johnny Jones in a Broadway revival, ended in dismal failure with the production opening and closing on the same night in March 1982, Osmond found success on the musical theater stage through much of the 1990s when he starred in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat for over 2,000 performances. During this period, he suffered from Social Anxiety Disorder. Donny was the co-host of a talk show with his sister, in 1998, also called Donny And Marie. The show ran for two seasons, and marked the first time the brother and sister had professionally been together in twenty years. He went on to host Pyramid, a syndicated television game show that ran from 2002 until its cancellation in 2004. Osmond has also been tapped by CBS to host a revival of Name That Tune in 2007.

Within the past few years, he has released a Christmas album, an album of his favorite Broadway songs, and a compilation of popular love songs; his voice can also be heard in the Disney animated film Mulan, in which he sings "I'll Make A Man Out Of You".In 2004, Donny returned to the UK Top 10 for the first time as a solo artist since 1973, with the George Benson-sampling "Breeze On By," co-written with former teen idol Gary Barlow, from the 1990s UK boy band Take That. In the animated television series Johnny Bravo, Osmond voiced himself as a recurring character.

Donny can be seen dancing in the music video of "Weird Al" Yankovic's song "White & Nerdy". The song is a parody of Chamillionaire's "Ridin'", and is on Yankovic's 2006 album Straight Outta Lynwood. He returned to Broadway on September 19, 2006, in the role of Gaston in Disney's Beauty And The Beast. He is scheduled to perform for nine weeks.

Donny and Marie were part of a Pepsi Twist commercial with the Osbournes (Ozzy Osbourne and family).

rehearsals.com is showing several video performances of Donny Osmond, "Broken Man", "Young Love", and "Sacred Emotion" Donny Osmond Performances at rehearsals.com.

Personal life

Donny married Debra Glenn on May 8, 1978. Together, they have five sons, the eldest being 27-year-old Don Jr., and the youngest being 8-year-old Joshua.

Osmond, like the rest of his family, is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He received some criticism from members for not serving a mission as his religion encourages, but most of the furor over this lack of service has died down. In retrospect, he states, 'It would have been nice to be able to have served a regular full time mission, but when I was of that age, my career was such that everyone, including my parents and the leaders of the church, thought that I could do a lot of good in the world by continuing being in the public eye, by living an exemplary life and sharing my beliefs in every way that I could.' [1] He continues sharing his beliefs in an extensive letters-and-comments portion of his website.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:46 am
Abe was well known for his cheapness and his 'eye for
a bargain'. One day he was looking for a cheap wedding
present for his niece, so he went into a thrift shop.
As he was walking around, he noticed what was
previously an expensive glass crystal vase lying in
the corner. It was in 3 pieces. After some haggling
with the owner, Abe bought the broken vase for $5. He
then filled in the congratulations card, wrote out his
niece's name and address and gave the owner another $5
so that the broken vase could be gift wrapped and
mailed. Abe then left the shop feeling quite pleased
with himself. He expected his niece to think the vase
had broken in the mail.
A few days later, he called his niece to see if the
present had arrived.
"Yes, Uncle Abe, but unfortunately, it was in 3 pieces
when it was delivered."
"What terrible luck." said Abe, "The Post Office is
getting worse all the time."
"It's a shame," she replied. "It was so beautifully
wrapped. Each piece separately."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 08:24 am
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 10:21 am
Good morning WA2K.

Oooh, Letty, I just saw you. Thank you for posting it. Gorgeous. Very Happy

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/b/b3/Hermione_Gingold.jpghttp://www.spotlightcd.com/hallfame/portraits/douglas_fairbanks.jpghttp://www.annotatedmst.com/episodes/creepingterror/broderick-crawford.jpg
http://www.facade.com/celebrity/photo/Kirk_Douglas.jpghttp://entimg.msn.com/i/150/Movies/Actors3/DinaMerrill88598709_150.jpghttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/section/movies/filmography/4/WireImage_438637.jpg
http://www.subcin.com/smoking.jpghttp://www.lepra.org.uk/Images/Judi_Dench.jpg
http://www.celebsquotes.com/b/beau-bridges/beau-bridges.jpghttp://www.pietalent.com/artists/donnyo.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 10:44 am
Well, there's our Raggedy, folks. What a marvelous array of photo's today, PA. (sorry, can't help the rhyme some time) Thank you, dear, for your comment on my avatar. It's nice to be able to see the real me once in a great while.

Now let's see. Don't know the first lady, I'm afraid, but there is Douglas, Broderick, Kirk, Dina, forgot Razz , John?, Miss Not Certain, Beau, and Donny. We always love your montages and thanks, once again, for putting faces to names.

Donny's not a bad looking former teen idol, so let's hear a soldier song from him:

DONNY OSMOND » Soldier Of Love

So you heard that I'm a rebel with a heart made of stone
I got a restless spirit that nobody can own
If a picture tells a story won't you listen to mine
I'm searching for the answer but it's so hard to find
You'll see much deeper when you read between the lines
Cause there's a fire burning in my eyes
Like a thief in the night who can't get enough
I am willing to fight cause I'm a soldier of love
Like a shot in the dark when the goin' gets rough
It's a state of the heart when you're a soldier of love
Love can be so heartless when you turn out the light
A mutual surrender in the heat of the night
Life's an empty picture when you're living alone
Maybe that's the reason every heart needs a home
Each time I fall down I get on my feet again
I'm gonna win this battle in the end
Like a thief in the night...
You'll see much deeper...
Shalalalalala when the goin' gets rough
Shalalalalala I'm a soldier of love
Shalalalalala when the goin' gets rough
Shalalalalala a soldier for your love
Like a thief in the night...
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 11:41 am
Does this help for the first lady?

http://www.filmposters.com/images/posters/7794.jpg

Ah yes, Letty says, "I remember it well".

That's John Cassavetes and the other lady, the great Judi Dench.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 11:54 am
My word, Raggedy. Still don't know that great Judi Drench. Did find this by Maurice, so the "she" must have been Judi, right?

Interesting, folks, Al Jolson claimed that Maurice Chevalier was the greatest thing to come out of France since Lafayette. Well, I'm not so sure of that, Al.

He: She:
We met at nine. We met at eight.
I was on time. No, you were late.
Ah yes! I remember it well.

We dined with friends. We dined alone.
A tenor sang. A baritone.

That dazzling April moon! There was none that night,
And the month was June.

That's right! That's right!
It warms my heart to know that
you remember still the way you do.

How often I've thought of that Friday, Monday
night,
when we had our last rendez-vous.
And somehow I've foolishly wondered
if you might by some chance be
thinking of it too?

That carriage ride. You walked me home.
You lost a glove. I lost a comb.

That brilliant sky. We had some rain.
Those Russian songs. From sunny Spain.

Razz
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 12:34 pm
That's Hermione Gingold, Letty.

You know Judi Dench - I know you do. Very Happy

Bond 22 (2008) (pre-production) .... M
Notes on a Scandal (2006) .... Barbara Covett
Casino Royale (2006) .... M
... aka Ian Fleming's Casino Royale (USA: complete title)
Doogal (2006) (voice) .... Narrator
"As Time Goes By" .... Jean Hardcastle / ... (67 episodes, 1992-2005)
- Reunion Special: Part 2 (2005) TV Episode .... Jean Hardcastle
- Reunion Special: Part 1 (2005) TV Episode .... Jean Hardcastle
- You Must Remember This... (2002) TV Episode .... Jean Hardcastle
- What Now? (2002) TV Episode .... Jean Hardcastle
- The Wedding (2002) TV Episode .... Jean Hardcastle
(62 more)
Mrs Henderson Presents (2005) .... Mrs. Laura Henderson
... aka Mrs Henderson Presents (USA)
Pride & Prejudice (2005) .... Lady Catherine de Bourg
... aka Orgueil et préjugés (France)
GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (2004) (VG) (voice) .... M
A Dairy Tale (2004) (V) (voice) .... Mrs. Caloway
Ladies in Lavender. (2004) .... Ursula Widdington
The Chronicles of Riddick (2004) .... Aereon
... aka The Chronicles of Riddick: The Director's Cut (USA: director's cut)
Home on the Range (2004) (voice) .... Mrs. Calloway
James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing (2003) (VG) (voice) .... M
... aka Everything or Nothing (USA: short title)
Die Another Day (2002) .... M
... aka D.A.D. (USA: promotional abbreviation)
The Importance of Being Earnest (2002) .... Lady Bracknell
... aka Importance d'être constant, L' (France)
Richard Rodgers: Some Enchanted Evening (2002) (TV) .... Performer: "Sixteen Going on Seventeen"
The Shipping News (2001) .... Agnis Hamm
... aka Noeuds et dénouements (Canada: French title)
Iris (2001/I) .... Iris Murdoch
"Angelina Ballerina" (2001) TV Series (voice) .... Miss Lilly
Chocolat (2000) .... Armande Voizin
The Last of the Blonde Bombshells (2000) (TV) .... Elizabeth

The World Is Not Enough (1999) .... M
... aka T.W.I.N.E. (UK: promotional abbreviation)
Tea with Mussolini (1999) .... Arabella
... aka Te con Mussolini, Un (Italy)
Shakespeare in Love (1998) .... Queen Elizabeth
Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) .... M
Mrs. Brown (1997) .... Queen Victoria
... aka Her Majesty, Mrs. Brown (USA)
... aka Mrs Brown (USA)
Hamlet (1996) .... Hecuba
... aka William Shakespeare's Hamlet
GoldenEye (1995) .... M
Jack & Sarah (1995) .... Margaret
"Middlemarch" (1994) (mini) TV Series .... Voice of George Eliot
"The Torch" (1992) (mini) TV Series .... Aba
Absolute Hell (1991) (TV) .... Christine Foskett
Can You Hear Me Thinking? (1990) (TV) .... Anne

Henry V (1989) .... Mistress Quickly
"Behaving Badly" (1989) (mini) TV Series .... Bridget Mayor
A Handful of Dust (1988) .... Mrs. Beaver
84 Charing Cross Road (1987) .... Nora Doel
Ghosts (1986) (TV) .... Mrs. Alving
A Room with a View (1985) .... In Florence - Eleanor Lavish, a novelist
Wetherby (1985) .... Marcia Pilborough
Mr. and Mrs. Edgehill (1985) (TV) .... Dorrie Edgehill
... aka Star Quality: Mr. and Mrs. Edgehill (UK)
The Angelic Conversation (1985) .... Narrator
The Browning Version (1985) (TV) .... Millie Crocker-Harris
"A Fine Romance" .... Laura Dalton (26 episodes, 1981-1984)
- Happy Ever After? (1984) TV Episode .... Laura Dalton
- A Romantic Meal (1984) TV Episode .... Laura Dalton
- Problems (1984) TV Episode .... Laura Dalton
- A Weekend Away (1984) TV Episode .... Laura Dalton
- Mike's New Girlfriend (1984) TV Episode .... Laura Dalton
(21 more)
Saigon: Year of the Cat (1983) (TV) .... Barbara Dean
Going Gently (1981) (TV) .... Sister Scarli
"Love in a Cold Climate" (1980) (mini) TV Series .... Aunt Sadie (Lady Alconleigh)
The Cherry Orchard (1980) (TV) .... Madame Ranevskaya

On Giant's Shoulders (1979) (TV) .... Hazel Wiles
... aka BBC2 Play of the Week: On Giant's Shoulders (UK: series title)
Macbeth (1979) (TV) .... Lady Macbeth
Langrishe Go Down (1978) (TV) .... Imogen Langrishe
... aka BBC2 Play of the Week: Langrishe Go Down (UK: series title)
The Comedy of Errors (1978/I) (TV) .... Adriana
"Jackanory" .... Storyteller / ... (12 episodes, 1968-1978)
- A Dog So Small (1978) TV Episode .... Reader
- My Sister Sophie/The Vicious Woman (1968) TV Episode .... Storyteller - 'My Sister Sophie'
- Chi Ming: Chi Ming and That Dragon Boat Race (1968) TV Episode .... Storyteller
- Chi Ming: Chi Ming Moves House (1968) TV Episode .... Storyteller
- Chi Ming: Chi Ming and the Jade Earring (1968) TV Episode .... Storyteller
(7 more)
Dead Cert (1974) .... Laura Davidson
Luther (1973) .... Katherine

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1968) .... Titania
"Play of the Month" .... Elizebeth Moris (1 episode, 1966)
- Days to Come (1966) TV Episode .... Elizebeth Moris
"Talking to a Stranger" (1966) (mini) TV Series .... Terry Stevens - Daughter
He Who Rides a Tiger (1965) .... Joanne
A Study in Terror (1965) .... Sally
... aka Fog
"The Troubleshooters" .... Gwyneth Evans (1 episode, 1965)
... aka Mogul (USA)
- Safety Man (1965) TV Episode .... Gwyneth Evans
Four in the Morning (1965) .... Wife
"Detective" .... Charlotte Revel (1 episode, 1964)
- Dishonoured Bones (1964) TV Episode .... Charlotte Revel
The Third Secret (1964) .... Miss Humphries
"Z Cars" .... Elena Collins (1 episode, 1963)
- Made for Each Other (1963) TV Episode .... Elena Collins
"The Four Just Men" .... Anna (1 episode, 1960)
- Treviso Dam (1960) TV Episode .... Anna
"An Age of Kings" (1960) (mini) TV Series .... Princess Katherine
Hilda Lessways (1959) (TV) .... Hilda Lessways
0 Replies