WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:58 pm
Well, while I wait on C.I. to respond on another forum, here is one for edgar, fishin', and, of course, C.I.

Louis Armstrong Gone Fishin' Lyrics

I'll tell you why I can't find you
Every time I go out to your place...

You gone fishin' (well how you know)
Well there's a sign upon your door (uh-huh)
Gone fishin' (I'm real gone man)
You ain't workin' anymore (could be)
There's your hoe out in the sun
Where you left a row half done
You claim that hoein' ain't no fun (well I can prove it)
You ain't got no ambition

Gone fishin' by a shady wady pool (shangrila, really la)
I'm wishin' I could be that kind of fool (should I twist your arm? )
I'd say no more work for mine (welcome to the club)
On my door I'd hang a sign
Gone fishin' instead of just a-wishin'

Papa bing (yeah louis)
I stopped by your place a time or two lately
And you aren't home either
Well, I'm a busy man louis. I got a lotta deals cookin'
I was probably tied up at the studio
You weren't tied up you dog
You was just plain old...

Gone fishin' (bah-boo-bah-boo-bah-boo-bah-boo-bah)
There's a sign upon your door (pops, don't blab it around, will you? )
Gone fishin' (keep it shady, I got me a big one staked out)
Mmm, you ain't workin' anymore (I don't have to work, I got me a piece of gary)
Cows need milkin' in the barn (I have the twins on that detail, they each take a side)
But you just don't give a darn (give 'em four bits a cow and hand lotion)
You just never seem to learn (man, you taught me)
You ain't got no ambition (you're convincin' me)

Gone fishin' (bah-boo-dah-do-dah-do-dah-do)
Got your hound dog by your side (that's old cindy-lou goin' with me)
Gone fishin' (mmm-hmm-hmm-hmm-hmm)
Fleas are bitin' at his hide (get away from me boy, you bother me)

Mmm, folks won't find us now because
Mister satch and mister cros
We gone fishin' instead of just a-wishin'
Bah-boo-baby-bah-boo-bah-bay-mmm-bo-bay
Oh yeah!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 06:19 pm
Gone Fishin. Yep, and the other voice was Bing Crosby.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 06:25 pm
Raggedy will appreciate Bing, edgar.

Here's one by the old crooner, and Willie Nelson did it as well:

Blue skies smilin' at me
Nothin' but blue skies do I see
Bluebirds singin' a song
Nothin' but bluebirds all day long

Never saw the sun shinin' so bright
Never saw things goin' so right
Noticing the days hurrying by
When you're in love, my how they fly

Blue days, all of them gone
Nothin' but blue skies from now on
(Blue skies smilin' at me
Nothin' but blue skies do I see)

Never saw the sun shinin' so bright
Never saw things goin' so right
Noticing the days hurrying by
When you're in love, my how they fly

Blue days, all of them gone
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 06:29 pm
My fave version of Blue Skies is by Bobby Darin, but those are good too.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 06:35 pm
I cannot believe that Bobby Darin did so many songs of that nature, edgar. My fav by him, of course, is Beyond the Sea, and Mack the Knife.

Well, folks. We love these interviews. They keep the home fires burning, and thanks to our Walter, I know, a lot of those songs by Vera Lynn.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 06:39 pm
Absent minded me
Absent minded me
Im losing a key
Or missing a glove
Just like me to lose my love
Gotta find it, absent minded me
Dizzy dopey me
Mixed-up mopey me
Im way, way ahead
Of the game then it starts
How did I lose my king of hearts?
Gotta find it, absent minded me
Theres my key
Gee, I left it in the door
Theres my glove on the shelf
Now if I dont find my love
Ill be losing myself
Gotta find him
Gotta find him
Absent minded me
Absent minded me...

Barbra
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 07:12 pm
Harumph, edgar. I may forget my glasses, and I may forget my purse, and I may forget what room I'm in; that's the creative person's curse.

I may forget to wash my hands before it's dinner time, but I never forget a poem or song or how to coax a rhyme. Razz

Soooooo...................

The Sweet Forget-Me-Not

Fancy brings a thought to mind
Of a flower that's bright and fair
Its grace and beauty both combine
A brighter jewel more rare
Just like a maiden that I know
Who shared my happy lot
She whispered when we parted last
"Oh, you'll forget me not"

She's graceful and she's charming
Like the lily in the pond
Time is flying swiftly by
Of her I am so fond
The roses and the daisies
Are blooming 'round the spot
Where we parted, when she whispered
"You'll forget me not"

We met, I really don't know where
But still it's just the same
For love grows in the city streets
As well as in the lane
I gently clasped her tiny hand
One glance at me she shot
She dropped her flower, I picked it up
'Twas the sweet forget-me-not

And then there came a happy time
When something that I said
Caused her lips to murmur "Yes"
And shortly we were wed
There is a cott' down in the land
And a tiny plot
Where grows a flower, I know it well
It's the sweet forget-me-not

traditional from Newfoundland
Recorded by Ian Robb
JM
apr97

So there!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 08:58 pm
Letty I love Ian Robb! In addition to his solo stuff he's part of a group from Ottawa called "Finest Kind". Their stuff is fabulous -- traditional, folk, beautiful three part harmony.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 04:09 am
Good early morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Tai Chi, how delightful to discover that you know Ian. I had no idea that anyone would recognize a man of the finest kind, honey. I love folk music, and thank you so much for visiting our radio station once again.

Well, this is for hamburger as a foil to his Marie. Razz

Marie
Sung By: Frank Sinatra

Marie, the dawn is breaking, Marie,
We'll soon be waking to find
Your heart is aching
And tears will fall as you recall
The moon in all its splendor
A kiss so very tender,
A world will you surrender to me.
Marie.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 06:16 am
Well, folks. I just returned from a quick trip down A1A and the ocean was placid and calm. The sun hung over the horizon in a firey red circle, and this song by Simon and Garfunkle came to mind:

It's not the simile that I would use for sol, but I like the import and the melody:

I should have known you'd bid me farewell.
There's a lesson to be learned from this
and I learned it very well

Now I know you're not
the only starfish in the sea.
If I never hear your name again
it's all the same to me.

And I think it's gonna be all right.
Yeah, the worst is over now,
the morning sun is shining like a Red Rubber Ball.

You never cared for secrets I'd confide.
For you I'm just an ornament,
Something for your pride.

Always running, never caring,
That's the life you live.
Stolen minutes of your time
were all you had to give.

Yeah, the worst is over,
Now the morning sun is shining like a Red Rubber Ball.

The story's in the past with nothing to recall.
I've got my life to live and I
don't need you at all.
The roller coaster ride we took is
nearly at an end.
I bought my ticket with my tears,
that's all I'm gonna spend.

Yeah, the worst is over,
Now the morning sun is shining like a Red Rubber Ball.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 10:51 am
Good morning, I am later than planned due to the fact that I am a…

Travelin' Man
Bob Seger Lyrics

Up with the sun, gone with the wind,

She always said I was lazy.

Leavin my home, leavin my friends,

Runnin when things get too crazy.

Out on thr road, out neath the stars,

Feelin the breeze, passin the cars.

Women have come, women have gone,

Everyone tryin to cage me.

Some were so sweet, I barely got free,

Others, they only enraged me.

Sometimes at night, I see their faces,

I feel the traces they left on my soul.

Those are the memories that made me a wealthy soul.

Travelin man, love when I can,

Turn loose my hand cause Im goin.

Travelin man, catch if you can,

But sooner or lare Im goin.

Travelin man ... travelin man, yes I am.

Sometimes at night, I see their faces,

I feel the traces they left on my soul.

These are the memories that made me a wealthy soul.

These are the memories that made me a wealthy soul.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 11:06 am
Lovely, Try. Thanks for letting us know that you are still a traveling man, buddy.

You know, folks, there is immigration and then there is migration, so....

On and on they journey southward
to the land of warmer summers
on the way they shed their feathers
for the poet's hand to write love letters

Flying high in straight formation
seeking out their destination
over seas and windswept forest
frost and snow they're soon forgotten

Trees are bare snowflakes are falling
you can hear their leaders calling
follow me fly strong my brother
be strong of heart and help each other home

And here I am I'm just a man
and there you are among the stars flying high
searching for a new tomorrow
I wish I could follow

Nearer still to new horizons
chill winds blow so far behind them
endless days and sleepless nights
a borrowed gift navigates their flight

Still and pure this morning air
so tired now but almost there
the mysteries of nature's calling
some will climb while others return back home

Ray Thomas
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:51 pm
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:59 pm
Richard Burton
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Richard Walter Jenkins Jr.
Born November 10, 1925
Pontrhydyfen, Wales, UK
Died August 5, 1984, age 58
Céligny, Switzerland

Richard Burton CBE (November 10, 1925 - August 5, 1984) was a Welsh actor. He is often considered to be one of the greatest British actors of all time and at one time was the highest paid actor in Hollywood. Known for his immaculate vocal style, was nominated 7 times for Best Actor Oscars.

Background and education

He was born Richard Walter Jenkins Jr. in the village of Pontrhydyfen near Port Talbot and grew up in a poor, Welsh-speaking household with many brothers and sisters. He was raised a Presbyterian. With the assistance of his inspirational schoolmaster, Philip H. Burton (who legally adopted him), he excelled in school productions. It was at this time that he began to develop the distinctive speaking voice that became his hallmark, having been encouraged by Philip (who sidelined as a BBC radio producer) to "lose his Welsh accent". To this day, many aspiring actors study Burton's style of elocution which has been hailed by critics worldwide. His official website claims that he was the highest paid actor in Hollywood during his heyday on and off screen collaborations with fellow icon Liz Taylor and he is often ranked among the greatest actors of all time.

There is a widespread myth (perhaps encouraged or even believed by some members of his stoutly working-class family) that Richard Burton "won a scholarship to Oxford at the age of sixteen" but left after six months. The facts, as recorded by Burton himself in his own autobiography and in Richard and Philip, which he co-wrote, are as follows: At the age of sixteen, he was forced to leave school and find work as a shop assistant. His former teacher, Philip Burton, recognising his talent, adopted him and enabled him to return to school. In 1943, at the age of eighteen, Richard Burton (who had now taken his teacher's surname), was allowed into Exeter College, Oxford, for a term of six months study. This was made possible only because it was wartime and he was an air force cadet.

Early acting career

In the 1940s and early 1950s Burton worked on stage and in cinema in the United Kingdom. Before his war service with the RAF, he had made his professional debut in Liverpool, appearing in a play called Druid's Rest, but his career was interrupted by conscription in 1944.

While making his first film, The Last Days of Dolwyn, in 1947, he met his future wife, the young actress Sybil Williams, and they married in February, 1949. They had two daughters, but divorced in 1963, after Burton hit the big time.

In the year of his marriage to Sybil, Burton appeared in the West End in a highly successful production of The Lady's Not For Burning, alongside Sir John Gielgud. He had small parts in various British films: Now Barabbas Was A Robber; Waterfront (1950) with Robert Newton; The Woman With No Name (1951); and a bigger part as a smuggler in Green Grow The Rushes, a B film. In the 1951 season at Stratford , he gave a critically acclaimed performance as Prince Hal. This prompted Alexander Korda to try to get Burton to sign a contract with him, and in 1952 Burton signed a five year contract with Korda at £100 a week.

Hollywood and later career

In 1952, Burton successfully made the transition to a Hollywood star; on the recommendation of Daphne du Maurier, he was given the leading role in My Cousin Rachel opposite Olivia de Havilland. 20th Century Fox negotiated with Korda to borrow him for this film and a further two at $50,000 a film. The film was a critical success, and established Burton as a Hollywood leading man. In 1954, he took his most famous radio role, as the narrator in the original production of Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood, a role he would reprise in the film version twenty years later.

In terms of critical success, his Hollywood roles throughout the 1950's did not live up to the early promise of his debut; however, he alternated film work with more successful Shakespeare seasons at the Old Vic in London. Then in 1958, he was offered the part of Jimmy Porter in the film version of John Osborne's play Look Back In Anger, a gritty drama about middle-class life in the British midlands. After playing King Arthur in Camelot on Broadway, he replaced Stephen Boyd as Mark Antony in the troubled production Cleopatra (1963). This film proved to be the start of his most successful period in Hollywood; he would remain among the top 10 box-office earners for the next four years. During the filming, Burton met and fell in love with Elizabeth Taylor, although the two would not be free to marry until 1965, when their respective divorces were complete. Their private lives turned out to be an endless source of curiosity for the media, and their marriage was also the start of a series of on-screen collaborations.

He played Taylor's tycoon husband in The V.I.P.s, an all-star film set in the VIP lounge of London Airport which proved to be a box-office hit. After playing the martyred archbishop of Henry II in the title role of Becket, he and Taylor had a great success in Mike Nichols's film of the Edward Albee play Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, in which a bitter erudite couple spend the evening trading vicious barbs in front of their horrified and fascinated guests, played by George Segal and Sandy Dennis. Although all four actors received Oscar nominations for their roles in the film, only Taylor and Dennis went on to win.

He was nominated seven times for an Academy Award, but never won. He is tied with Becket co-star Peter O'Toole for the most nominations for a male actor for an acting Oscar without winning (though O'Toole did receive an Honorary Academy Award in 2003).

Late in his career, he played himself in an episode of the Television Show The Fall Guy.

His last role in film was one of his best, as the villain O'Brien in the critically acclaimed 1984 film adaptation of George Orwell's novel Nineteen-Eighty Four.

Personal life

An insomniac and notoriously heavy drinker, Burton was married five times - twice, consecutively, to Elizabeth Taylor. Their second marriage occurred October 10, 1975, sixteen months after their divorce, in the Chobe National Park in Kasane, Botswana. The relationship between them portrayed in Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? is reputed to have been similar to Burton and Taylor's real-life marriage.

His reputation as drinker may have been well-earned. However, ongoing back pain and a dependence upon pain medications have been suggested as the true cause of his misery.

Burton was banned permanently from BBC productions in 1974 for questioning the sanity of Winston Churchill and others in power during World War II - Burton reported hating them "virulently" for the alleged promise to wipe out all Japanese people on the planet. Ironically, Burton had got along well with Churchill when he met the former Prime Minister at a play in London, and kept a bust of the great wartime leader on his mantlepiece. Burton courted further controversy in 1976 when he wrote a controversial article about his late friend and fellow Welsh thespian Stanley Baker, who had recently died from lung cancer at the age of 49.

Burton's fourth marriage was to Suzy Hunt, ex-wife of motor racing driver James Hunt, (maiden name Suzy Millar, whose father was a judge in Kenya) and his fifth was to Sally Hay, a make-up artist who later became a successful novelist. While married to Sally, he died suddenly of a cerebral hemorrhage at his home in Switzerland, where he is buried. He was only 58 years old. Burton was buried in a red suit, a tribute to his Welsh roots. He claimed in a TV interview that he had an ongoing bet with Richard Harris that both men would wear at least one item of clothing a day in their respective national colours (Green for the Irish Harris). In fact, his film contracts always contained the clause that he would not work on March 1, St David's Day, the national holiday in Wales.

Burton appears in the 2002 List of "100 Great Britons" (sponsored by the BBC and voted for by the public).

Burton is sometimes erroneously referred to as "Sir Richard Burton", perhaps due to the similarity of his assumed name to that of Sir Richard Francis Burton, but unlike the 19th century scholar, he never received a knighthood. He was made a Commander of the British Empire in 1970, but this honour did not entitle him to the honourific "Sir."

Trivia

Burton's publicists claimed he was 5'9" (though he could have been as short as 5'7").
Burton's best friend was fellow Welsh actor Sir Stanley Baker.
Made "Top 10 Stars of the Year" three times in 1965, 1966 and 1967.
Made 11 films with wife Elizabeth Taylor. They divorced, re-married, and divorced again. Elizabeth Taylor herself had a total of eight marriages and seven different husbands.
Served in the RAF (1944-1947).
Smoked 5 packs of cigarettes a day.[1]
After winning the 1970 Best Actor Oscar, John Wayne thrust the statue towards Burton, saying "You should have this, not me."
Burton was on a flight from Mexico, heading back to California when he was sitting next to a young marketing executive interested in acting. Burton advised him that if he wanted to pursue it as a career, he would have to give up everything else and pursue it with both hands. That young man was Kevin Costner who promptly followed Burton's advice.
Burton admitted to being bisexual in an interview, although his exact words could be viewed as merely an example of his wit.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:02 pm
Roy Scheider
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roy Richard Scheider (born November 10, 1932) is an Academy Award nominated American actor.

Born in Orange, New Jersey, Scheider was an athlete as a child, participating in organized baseball and boxing competitions. He attended Columbia High School in Maplewood, NJ and was inducted into the school's hall of fame in 1985. He traded his boxing gloves for the stage, studying drama at both Rutgers University and Franklin and Marshall College, where he was a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. After three years in the United States Air Force, he appeared with the New York Shakespeare Festival, and won an Obie Award in 1968.

Scheider's first film role was in the forgettable 1963 horror film Curse of the Living Corpse. (He was billed as "Roy R. Sheider"). In 1971 he appeared in two highly popular movies, Klute and The French Connection, the latter garnering him an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. Four years later he would play in the Hollywood blockbuster Jaws and three years after that, was nominated for his second Acadamey Award, this time as Best Actor in All That Jazz.

He was originally cast as Michael in The Deer Hunter, as the second movie of a three movie deal with Universal Studios. Because he did not believe that the character would travel around the world to find his friend, he quit the picture. Universal executives were furious, but they let him out of his contract when he agreed to do Jaws 2.

In 1993, Scheider signed on to star in the Steven Spielberg-produced television series seaQuest DSV. During the second season, Scheider voiced disdain for the direction in which the series was heading. His comments were highly publicized and the media criticized him for panning his own show. NBC made additional casting and writing changes in the third season, and Scheider decided to exit the show. His contract however, required that he make several guest appearances in season three.

Scheider went on to star in films such as The Myth of Fingerprints (1997) and Silver Wolf (1998). He has also repeatedly guest starred on the NBC television series Third Watch. Among his most recent films is the crusty father of hero Frank Castle in The Punisher (2004).

In 2004, Scheider was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells. In June 2005, he underwent a bone marrow transplant to successfully treat the cancer.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:17 pm
A woman was leaving a 7-11 with her morning coffee when she
noticed a most unusual funeral procession approaching the
nearby cemetery. A long black hearse was followed by a second
long black hearse about 50 feet behind. Behind the second
hearse was a solitary woman walking a pit bull dog on a leash.
Behind her were 200 women walking single file. The woman
couldn't stand the curiosity. She respectfully approached
the woman walking the dog and said, "I am so sorry for your
loss, and I know now is a bad time to disturb you, but I've
never seen a funeral like this. Whose funeral is it?"

The woman replied, "Well that first hearse is for my husband."

"What happened to him?" The woman replied, "My dog attacked
and killed him."

She inquired further, "Well, who is in the second hearse?"
The woman answered, "My mother-in-law. She was trying to help
my husband when the dog turned on her."

A poignant and thoughtful moment of silence passes between
the two women.

"Can I borrow the dog?"

"Get in line."
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:17 pm
Good day WA2K.

A few pictures for our birthday photo gallery.

http://dvdtoile.com/ARTISTES/3/3700.jpghttp://photos8.flickr.com/9303917_8899d7b4fa_m.jpghttp://wickedstageact2.typepad.com/life_on_the_wicked_stage_/images/claude_rains_1.jpghttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/40/200px-ClaudeRainsPhantom.jpg
http://www.basilrathbone.net/films/robinhood/rh07a.jpg

http://www.celebopedia.com/burton/images/richard_burton.JPGhttp://www.leninimports.com/richardburton.jpghttp://www.virtualvallarta.com/vallarta/information/definitions/images/burtontaylor.jpg
http://www.movieactors.com/photos-2003/burton-therobe.jpghttp://www.cerddystwyth.co.uk/newtest/acatalog/FRC6118.jpghttp://www.keithleejohnson.com/images/whosafraidvirginiawoolfsm.jpg

http://www.tio.ch/common_includes/www.tiosquare.ch/img/p_20060110_114502_RoyScheider.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:44 pm
Well, listeners, there's our BioBob back again with marvelous background info replete with a wonderful joke. Love it, hawkman, and thanks. And that cute pup is right on his heels with her famous photographs. Raggedy, I do believe that is your best montage ever, PA.

I think we may know them all:

There's Claude Rains in The Invisible Man, Casablanca, and Phantom of the Opera. Hmmm, had to check on the final one and found it to be Robin Hood.

And, of course, that fabulous actor, Richard Burton. I had no idea that he suffered from chronic back pain. (thanks for that info, Bob)

The rest of his movies are obvious, and I did NOT know that he read Dylan Thomas. Would love to hear that, folks. I remember Burton well in the movie about Edwin Booth. Was it The Prince of Players? Can't quite recall, but I'll check on that one later.

Then there is Mr. Jaws himself. I always enjoyed his performances.

Where is our yitwail. I always contended that JawsI was a poor man's Moby Dick.<smile>

Back later with a song from Jane.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:56 pm
Aaah. Prince of Players, one of my favorite Burton movies. John Derek played John Wilkes and Burton played Edwin Booth.

And, of course, he was fabulous in Camelot on Broadway.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 02:10 pm
Yes, indeed, Camelot, Raggedy. I tried to read that book, The Prince of Players, because my sister loved it, and that was in my "follow her around" days. It was a little too heavy for me then.

Can you believe this, folks? I cannot locate the lyrics to "With a Song in my Heart." Confused
0 Replies