WA2K Radio is now on the air

Tryagain

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:37 pm
Good morning world. That's nothing to the…

Games People Play
Joe South

Oh the games people play now
Every night and every day now
Never meaning what they say now
Never saying what they mean

And they wile away the hours
In their ivory towers
Till they're covered up with flowers
In the back of a black limousine

Chorus
La-da da da da da da da
La-da da da da da de
Talking 'bout you and me
And the games people play

Oh we make one another cry
Break a heart then we say goodbye
Cross our hearts and we hope to die
That the other was to blame

Neither one will give in
So we gaze at our eight by ten
Thinking 'bout the things that might have been
It's a dirty rotten shame

Repeat Chorus

People walking up to you
Singing glory hallelulia
And they're tryin to sock it to you
In the name of the Lord

They're gonna teach you how to meditate
Read your horoscope, cheat your faith
And further more to hell with hate
Come on and get on board

Repeat Chorus

Look around tell me what you see
What's happening to you and me
God grant me the serenity
To remember who I am

Cause you've given up your sanity
For your pride and your vanity
Turns you sad on humanity
And you don't give a da da da da da

Repeat Chorus
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:49 pm
Hey, Try. Yes, there are games and there are games, right?

Just to prove that Jimmie Dean doesn't just sell sausage, listeners:

Skip a rope skip a rope listen to the children while they play
Ain't it kinda funny what kids all say skip a rope

Daddy hates mama mama hates dad
Last night you should've heard the fight they had
Gave little sister another bad dream she woke us all up with a terrible scream
Skip a rope skip a rope...

Cheat on your taxes don't be a fool what was that they said about the golden rule
Never mind the rules just play to win and hate your neighbor for the shade of his skin
Skip a rope skip a rope...

Stab 'em in the back that's the name of the game
And mama and daddy are the ones to blame
Skip a rope skip a rope listen to the children while they play
It's not really funny what children say skip a rope
Skip a rope skip a rope
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 05:29 pm
Well…

Dang Me
Miller Roger Lyrics

Well here I sit, gettin' ideas
Ain't nothing but a fool would live like this
Out all night and runnin' wild
Woman sittin' home with a month old child

CHORUS:
Dang me, dang me
They oughta take a rope and hang me
High from the highest tree
Woman would you weep for me.

Just sittin' around drinkin' with the rest of the guys
Six rounds bought, and I bought five
Spent the groceries and half the rent
Like fourteen dollars and twenty seven cents.

(CHORUS)

They say roses are red and violets are purple
Sugar is sweet and so is maple surple
Well I'm the seventh out of seven sons
My pappy was a pistol
I'm a son of a gun.

(CHORUS)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 06:22 pm
Dang, Try. I do believe that we know that by Roger. Thanks, buddy.

Ok, let's play "guess the vocalist", shall we?

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called 'Gitche Gumee'
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty.
That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early.

The ship was the pride of the American side
Coming back from some mill in Wisconsin
As the big freighters go, it was bigger than most
With a crew and good captain well seasoned
Concluding some terms with a couple of steel firms
When they left fully loaded for Cleveland
And later that night when the ship's bell rang
Could it be the north wind they'd been feelin'?
The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale sound
And a wave broke over the railing
And every man knew, as the captain did too,
T'was the witch of November come stealin'.
The dawn came late and the breakfast had to wait
When the Gales of November came slashin'.
When afternoon came it was freezin' rain
In the face of a hurricane west wind.

When suppertime came, the old cook came on deck sayin'.
Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya.
At Seven P.M. a main hatchway caved in, he said
Fellas, it's been good t'know ya
The captain wired in he had water comin' in
And the good ship and crew was in peril.
And later that night when his lights went outta sight
Came the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Does any one know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
The searches all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay
If they'd put fifteen more miles behind her.
They might have split up or they might have capsized;
May have broke deep and took water.
And all that remains is the faces and the names
Of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings
In the rooms of her ice-water mansion.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams;
The islands and bays are for sportsmen.
And farther below Lake Ontario
Takes in what Lake Erie can send her,
And the iron boats go as the mariners all know
With the Gales of November remembered.

In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed,
In the Maritime Sailors' Cathedral.
The church bell chimed till it rang twenty-nine times
For each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call 'Gitche Gumee'.
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 06:25 pm
gordon lightfoot
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 06:35 pm
Know this palindrome, dys? Hope so, cowboy, cause this is what you win:

I don't wanna talk
About the things we've gone through
Though it's hurting me
Now it's history
I've played all my cards
And that's what you've done too
Nothing more to say
No more ace to play

The winner takes it all
The loser standing small
Beside the victory
That's her destiny

I was in your arms
Thinking I belonged there
I figured it made sense
Building me a fence
Building me a home
Thinking I'd be strong there
But I was a fool
Playing by the rules

The gods may throw a dice
Their minds as cold as ice
And someone way down here
Loses someone dear
The winner takes it all
The loser has to fall
It's simple and it's plain
Why should I complain.

But tell me does she kiss
Like I used to kiss you?
Does it feel the same
When she calls your name?
Somewhere deep inside
You must know I miss you
But what can I say
Rules must be obeyed

The judges will decide
The likes of me abide
Spectators of the show
Always staying low
The game is on again
A lover or a friend
A big thing or a small
The winner takes it all

I don't wanna talk
If it makes you feel sad
And I understand
You've come to shake my hand
I apologize
If it makes you feel bad
Seeing me so tense
No self-confidence
But you see
The winner takes it all
The winner takes it all......
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:57 pm
Dry Land

Let me sail to the depths of your soul
Let me anchor as near as I can be to your shore
I'm coming into dry land
Been a long time at sea
And the season of loving
Has long awaited me

Tides and waves have kept me
Kept me going
I'm longing for the calm
I'm heading for the pastures
I can see on your dry land
Let the sea that once did take me
Bring me back safe to your door
For I long to touch the dry land of your shore

Clear back to land I'm rowing
Clear the deck let me touch your soul
Maybe I'll bring you back a gift of love
I'll promise you so much more

JOAN ARMATRADING
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:58 pm
ABBA Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:13 pm
Like that song, "Dry Land", Rex, and ABBA is correct, Maine.<smile>

Think I'll rock myself to sleep in the cradle of the deep.

Goodnight, my friends.

From Letty with love
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 05:39 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors. Woke up this morning with this song on my mind:

Deep within my heart lies a melody
A song of old San Antone
Where in dreams I live with a memory
Beneath the stars all alone
It was there I found beside the Alamo
Enchantment strange as the blue up above
A moonlit pass that only she would know
Still hears my broken song of love
Moon in all your splendour
Hear only my heart
Call back my Rose, Rose of San Antone
Lips so sweet and tender
Like petals falling apart
Speak once again of my love, my own
Broken song, empty words I know
Still live in my heart
For the moonlit pass by the Alamo
And Rose, my Rose of San Antone
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:02 am
Gig Young
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gig Young (November 4, 1913-October 19, 1978) was an American film actor.

Born Byron Elsworth Barr in St. Cloud, Minnesota, his parents John and Emma Barr raised him in Washington DC. He developed a passion for the theatre while appearing in high school plays, then after some amateur experience, he applied for and received a scholarship to the acclaimed Pasadena Community Playhouse. While acting in 'Pancho', a south-of-the-border play by Lowell Barrington, he and the leading actor in the play, George Reeves, were spotted by a Warner Brothers talent scout. Both actors were signed to supporting player contracts with the studio. Young was forced to change his given name Byron Barr to avoid confusion with another actor of the same name. The name "Gig Young" was taken from a character he played in one of his earliest films, The Gay Sisters (1942).

Signed to a contract with Warner Brothers, Young appeared in supporting roles in numerous films during the 1940s, and came to be regarded as a popular and likeable second lead, playing the brothers or friends of the principal characters. During WWII, Young took a hiatus from his movie career and served admirably in the United States Coast Guard, alongside fellow Hollywood actors Cesar Romero and Richard Cromwell.

In the early 1950s Young began to play the type of role that he would become best known for, a sardonic but engaging and affable drunk. His dramatic work as an alcoholic in Come Fill the Cup (1951), and his comedic role as a tipsy but ultimately charming cad in Teacher's Pet (1958), each earned him nominations for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

He won the Academy Award for his role as Rocky, the dance marathon emcee and promoter in They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969).

Alcoholism plagued his later years. Cast in "Blazing Saddles" (1974) as the Waco Kid, he was replaced by director Mel Brooks with Gene Wilder shortly after filming began because he was suffering from delirium tremens on the set.

Young married his third wife, actress Elizabeth Montgomery, 20 years his junior, in 1956. They divorced in 1963 amid rumors of domestic violence.

Young's fourth wife, Elaine Young, became a prominent Beverly Hills real estate agent in the 1970s and she brokered many transactions over the ensuing years to a myriad of Hollywood luminaries. Elaine Young, who passed away in April 2006, was also noted for overcoming disfiguring plastic surgery and for her outspoken crusade for reforms against improperly trained cosmetic surgeons.

Young is considered the ultimate victim of the Oscar curse, so-called because many Academy Award winners have seen their careers decline or reach a dead-end after winning the ultimate accolade from their peers. According to his fourth wife, Elaine Williams, "What he was aching for, as he walked up to collect his Oscar, was a role in his own movie -- one that they could finally call a Gig Young movie." Young was shattered when that opportunity did not materialise. "For Gig, the Oscar was literally the kiss of death, the end of the line," according to Williams. He himself said to Louella Parsons after failing to win in 1951 that "So many people who have been nominated for an Oscar have had bad luck afterwards."

In 1978, aged 64, he married his fifth wife, a 31 year-old German art gallery employee named Kim Schmidt. Three weeks after their marriage they were both found dead at home with gunshot wounds to the head in their New York City apartment. Police theorize that Young first shot his wife and then turned the gun on himself in a suicide pact.

His will, which covered a $200,000 estate, left his Academy Award to his agent, Martin Baum, and Baum's wife. The wording of the will called it "the Oscar that I won because of Martin's help". New York City police found the statuette beside the bodies of Young and his wife.

He had one daughter Jennifer; he filed a non-paternity suit claiming he wasn't her father and left her $10 in his will.

Though the case attracted considerable media attention and speculation, Young's motivation for the murder/suicide remains unknown, as he left no suicide note, and his associates could provide no explanation for his action.

The murder/suicide occurred at ([1]) The Osborne Apartments on West 57th Street between Seventh Avenue & Broadway, a co-op building. On the day he died, Gig Young taped an episode of the Joe Franklin TV show (which never aired) and then went home & committed the murder suicide. The show exists and is in the Joe Franklin Archives([www.joefranklin.com])
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:07 am
Art Carney

Born November 4, 1918
Mount Vernon, New York
Died November 9, 2003
Chester, Connecticut

Art Carney (November 4, 1918 - November 9, 2003) was an Academy Award winning American actor in film, stage, television, and radio.

Born Arthur William Matthew Carney in Mount Vernon, New York, he gained lifelong fame for his portrayal of upstairs neighbor and sewer worker Ed Norton opposite Jackie Gleason's Ralph Kramden in the popular television comedy show The Honeymooners. Art Carney also had many screen and stage roles, including the portrayal on Broadway of Felix Unger in The Odd Couple (opposite Walter Matthau as Oscar). He was nominated for seven Emmy Awards.

Carney had been a busy radio actor before being drafted as an infantryman during World War II. He participated in the Battle of Normandy and was wounded in the leg by shrapnel. He walked with a limp for the rest of his life.

In 1974 he won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance as an elderly man going on the road with his pet cat in Harry and Tonto. In 1978, Carney appeared in The Star Wars Holiday Special, a spin-off film to the Star Wars series. In it, he played Trader Saun Dann, a member of the Rebel Alliance who was a close friend of Chewbacca and his family. He also appeared in such films as W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings, The Late Show, House Calls, Movie Movie and Going in Style. Later movies included The Muppets Take Manhattan, and the thriller Firestarter.

In 1981, he portrayed Harry Truman, an 84-year-old lodge owner in the half-fiction/half-reality based account of events leading to the eruption of Mount St. Helens, in the movie titled St. Helens.

He was married three times to two women:

Barbara Isaac from December 21, 1966 to 1977
Jean Myers, from 1940 to 1965; from 1980 to November 9, 2003: 3 children

Although he retired in the late 1980s, he remerged in 1993 to make a small cameo in the Arnold Schwarzenegger flop Last Action Hero as Schwarzenegger's second cousin Frank who is tortured by the movie's main villain.

Carney died at his home of natural causes five days after his 85th birthday in Chester, Connecticut; he was survived by his widow and children.

Art Carney has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6627 Hollywood Blvd.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:13 am
Cameron Mitchell

Cameron Mitchell (November 4, 1918 - July 6, 1994) was an American film, television and Broadway star with close ties to one of Canada's most successful families, and considered, by Lee Strasberg, to be one of the founding members of The Actor's Studio in New York City.

Born in Dallastown, Pennsylvania to Rev. Charles and Kathryn Mitzell, Mitchell's film career began with minor roles in films dating back to 1945, but he quickly rose to young leading man status opposite such stars as Doris Day and James Cagney in Love Me Or Leave Me, Lana Turner and Spencer Tracy in Cass Timberlane, and Marlon Brando and Jean Simmons in Desiree.

Some of his best-known films included the 1951 adaptation of Death of a Salesman (he originated the role of Happy on Broadway), the 1953 comedy How to Marry a Millionaire (with Marilyn Monroe), and 1956's film version of Carousel.

It was on TV where Mitchell made the greatest impact during the latter part of his career, and he is best remembered for starring as Uncle Buck in the 1960s western series, The High Chaparral.

Between the first and second world wars, during his years as a young actor in Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne's National Theater Company, Ms. Fontanne suggested that Cameron's surname sounded "a bit too much like the Hun" and insisted he change it to "Mitchell".

In 1940, Mitchell married Johanna Mendel, the daughter of self-made Canadian business tycoon Fred Mendel. The Mendel family was based in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, where Mr. Mendel founded Intercontinental Packers, a major family-owned meat packing operation.

Although Cameron and Johanna divorced in 1960, Cameron maintained close ties to his adopted second home. His daughter with Johanna, Camille Mitchell, is a Canadian actress. Another son, Cameron Mitchell Jr., is a Toronto-based actor. Yet another son, Fred Mitchell, was President of Intercontinental Packers for many years working alongside his mother, Johanna Mitchell who was Chairwoman of the Board. Today the company is known as Mitchell's Gourmet Foods and still operates out of Saskatoon, now owned by Maple Leaf Foods.

Cameron's children from his second marriage - Jake, Jono and Kate Mitchell-live in Los Angeles, California.

After a decades long career in radio, film and television, Cameron Mitchell died of lung cancer, aged 75, on July 6, 1994, in Pacific Palisades, California.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:17 am
Martin Balsam

Martin Henry Balsam (November 4, 1919 - February 13, 1996) was an American actor.

Balsam was born in the Bronx in New York City to Albert Balsam and Lillian Weinstein. He studied dramatics at The New School in New York City and then served in the Army Air Corps during World War II. In 1947 he was selected by Elia Kazan and Lee Strasberg to be a player in the Actors' Studio television program and went on to appear in a number of television plays in the 1950s and returned frequently to television as a guest star on numerous dramas.

Balsam appeared in such films as On the Waterfront, 12 Angry Men (as Juror #1), Psycho, Cape Fear (1962) as the police chief, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Seven Days in May, Catch-22, Tora! Tora! Tora!, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, The Delta Force, Death Wish 3, and the 1991 Martin Scorsese remake of Cape Fear (Balsam, Gregory Peck, and Robert Mitchum all appeared in both the 1962 and 1991 versions of the film).

Balsam also appeared in a film that eventually became a highly popular Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode, the 1975 Joe Don Baker police drama Mitchell.

In 1965, he won an Academy Award for best supporting actor for his role as Arnold Burns, the agent brother of the oddball non-conformist and unemployed kiddie-show writer Jason Robards, Jr. in A Thousand Clowns and starred as Murray Klein on the All in the Family spin-off Archie Bunker's Place for two seasons.

In 1967 he won a Tony Award for his appearance in the 1967 Broadway production of You Know I Can't Hear You When the Water's Running.

Balsam died of a heart attack in 1996, aged 76. He is interred at Cedar Park Cemetery, in Emerson, New Jersey.

Balsam married and divorced actress Joyce Van Patten. Their daughter, Talia Balsam, was born January 1, 1960.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:26 am
Loretta Swit

Loretta Swit (born November 4, 1937) is an American stage and television actress best known for her portrayal of the character of Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan on M*A*S*H.

Swit was born in Passaic, New Jersey to Polish immigrants. She studied with Gene Frankel in Manhattan and considered him her acting coach. She regularly returned to his studio to speak with aspiring actors throughout her career. Swit is also a talented singer who trained at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts before entering the theater.

In 1967, Swit toured with the national company of Any Wednesday, starring Gardner McKay. She would continue on as one of the Pigeon sisters opposite Don Rickles and Ernest Borgnine in a Los Angeles run of The Odd Couple.

From there, she played Agnes Gooch in the Las Vegas version of Mame starring Susan Hayward and later Celeste Holm. In 1991 she won the Sarah Siddons Award for her work in Chicago theatre. Most recently, Swit has toured with the Vagina Monologues.

Television career

When Swit arrived in Hollywood in 1970, she performed in television shows including Gunsmoke, Hawaii Five-O and Mannix.

Starting in 1972, Swit played the character of Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan in the television series M*A*S*H. She inherited the star-making role from Sally Kellerman, who portrayed the character in the feature film. Swit, Alan Alda, Jamie Farr and William Christopher stayed for all 11 seasons of the show, from 1972 to 1983. She and Alan Alda were the only two actors to have been on the Pilot episode and the finale. She did not appear in 11 out the total of 251 episodes. Swit received two Emmy Awards for her work on M*A*S*H. Later, Swit was also the first M*A*S*H star to visit South Korea when she narrated the documentary Korea, the Forgotten War.

In 1981, Swit played the Cagney role in the movie pilot for the television series Cagney & Lacey, but was precluded by contractual obligations from continuing the role.

She also guest starred in shows such as Hawaii Five-O, The Love Boat, Pyramid, and the latest is Hollywood Squares.

She is believed to be the inspiration for Jim Henson's creation of the Muppet character "Miss Piggy".

Swit received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1989.

Personal life

Swit married actor Dennis Holahan in 1983 and divorced him in 1985. Holahan played the part of Per Johannsen, a Swedish diplomat who became briefly involved with Swit's character, in an episode of M*A*S*H. She never remarried or had any children.

Swit is 5'6" (1.68 m) and wears a U.S. size 7 shoe.

Swit has also written a book on needlepoint. She also has her own line of jewelry which is sold at stores across the United States.

Swit is a very strong advocate for animals and animal rights, donating much of her time to animal related causes. Over the years she has owned horses, dogs and cats. Presently, she owns three cats and a horse.

In her 1986 book Needlepoint Scrapbook, she declares that "We are Ms. Pac-Man fanatics in our house." and has owned a Ms. Pac-Man machine. The book also includes a Ms. Pac-Man needslepoint design.

Impact in popular culture

On the 1995 American TV series, NewsRadio, station owner and lead character Jimmy James compiled a list of "wife candidates". With a great deal of reluctance he was forced to cross off Loretta Swit as one of his candidates. Her name was mentioned on several episodes in this context.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:33 am
Matthew McConaughey

Born November 4, 1969
Uvalde, Texas, USA

Matthew David McConaughey (born November 4, 1969) is an American actor. After a series of minor roles in the early 1990s (including his breakout role in Dazed and Confused, director Richard Linklater's second feature film), he came to fame after starring in several successful films, including A Time to Kill and U-571. He is known for having played the leading man in several hit romantic comedies, including The Wedding Planner (2001), How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) and Failure to Launch (2006).

Biography

Early life

McConaughey, the youngest of three boys, was born in Uvalde, Texas; he has Irish ancestry.[1] McConaughey had what he describes as a conservative Christian upbringing.[2] His late father, James Donald McConaughey, ran a Texaco gas station, worked as a truck driver, and was a former professional football player (for the Green Bay Packers, drafted in 1953). His mother, Mary Kathlene "Kay" McCabe, was a substitute schoolteacher. His parents divorced and re-married each other several times, in what McConaughey describes as a "loving, but unstable relationship".[3]

McConaughey moved to Longview, Texas in 1980 and, after graduating from Longview High School in 1988, where he was voted the most handsome, Matthew lived briefly in Australia. He had relative academic success in high school, and went to college. He studied film direction at the University of Texas at Austin and was a member of Delta Tau Delta Fraternity, graduating in 1993.

Career

McConaughey got his start working in television commercials and was cast in his first role in the film Dazed and Confused (1993), after meeting casting director Don Phillips at a bar near the University of Texas at Austin. After appearing in some additional small parts in Angels in the Outfield, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, Boys on the Side, and the television series Unsolved Mysteries, McConaughey's big break came as the lawyer "Jake Brigance" in the 1996 film A Time to Kill, based on the John Grisham novel of the same name. In 1997, McConaughey won an MTV Movie Award for best breakthrough performance for the role. He has also twice been nominated for a Blockbuster Entertainment Award.

McConaughey gained renown and was cast in leading roles in many more movies: Contact, Amistad, The Newton Boys, Edtv, and U-571. By the early 2000s, he was frequently cast in romantic comedies, including The Wedding Planner and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, both of which were successful at the box office. During this time period, he appeared in the low-budget film, Tiptoes, as a firefighter opposite Kate Beckinsale, Two For The Money as a protege to Al Pacino's gambling mogul, and in Frailty, cast against type as a serial killer, opposite Bill Paxton.

McConaughey starred in the feature film, Sahara (budgeted at $130 million), along with Steve Zahn and Penélope Cruz. Prior to the release of the movie, he promoted it by repeating some trips he took in the late 1990s, including sailing down the Amazon River and trekking to Mali. In 2005, People magazine named him their "Sexiest Man Alive". In 2006, he co-starred with Sarah Jessica Parker in the romantic comedy, Failure to Launch, which was a success at the box office.

Personal life

On October 25, 1999, McConaughey was arrested at his home in Austin, Texas; the charges included possession of marijuana and resisting arrest. The police were responding at 2:37 a.m. to a disturbance call after a neighbor complained of loud music from the house next-door. They arrived to "easily hear very loud music," bongo drum playing and clapping coming from McConaughey's residence. According to official police reports, McConaughey was found dancing around naked and playing bongo drums with a friend, actor Cole Hauser, a co-actor in Dazed and Confused (1993). The drug charges were dropped, but McConaughey pled guilty for violating the city's noise ordinance and paid a USD $50 fine.

McConaughey seems to have a knack for getting himself involved in unusual situations with animals. In 2006 in Sherman Oaks, California, he reportedly snatched a cat away from two youths who had doused the animal in hairspray and were attempting to light it on fire [1]. Earlier, in 2005, the actor is alleged to have frightened away a coyote that was threatening a mother and her child in a Los Angeles park [2]. An Oprah Winfrey episode from that same year also showed McConaughey participating in a rescue of various pets, including cats, dogs and hamsters, that were stranded after the flooding of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina [3].

An avid University of Texas at Austin football fan, McConaughey is often seen at Longhorn games. In addition to his home in Austin, he also owns a 1,600 acre ranch in Texas. He has dated actress Sandra Bullock, singer Janet Jackson, and actress Penelope Cruz. The two had been together since 2004, soon after Cruz broke up with Tom Cruise in January 2004. The couple split in April of 2006. McConaughey is currently enjoying single life with his friends and has been seen with a number of different women at clubs around the United States. However, speculation is growing that McConaughey has rekindled his romance with the Irish model, Jennifer Cullen. The two were recently photographed together on the Greek Islands. The very fit McConaughey has spent much of the summer of 2006 enjoying some healthy hobbies such as running, surfing, swimming and biking as documented frequently by the paparazzi.

In July 2006, McConaughey's latest foibles in real life were documented via "McConaughey's Lost Weekend.", a blog with photographs of a "three-day bender in Costa Rica."

In the November 2006 issue of Details magazine, Mcconaughey flippantly responded to growing rumors that he and bicyclist Lance Armstrong were involved in a gay relationship with the comment, "We tried it. Wasn't for us."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:39 am
Fast thinker
>>
>>
>> An elderly man in Florida had owned a large farm
>> for several years. He had
>> a large pond in the back. It was properly
>> shaped for swimming, so he fixed it up nice --
>> picnic tables, horseshoe
>> courts, and some apple and peach trees.
>>
>> One evening the old farmer decided to go down to
>> the pond, as he hadn't
>> been there for a while, and look it over. He grabbed
>> a five gallon bucket to
>> bring back some fruit.
>>
>> As he neared the pond, he heard voices shouting and
>> laughing with glee. As
>> he came closer he saw it was a bunch of young women
>> skinny-dipping in his
>> pond. He made the women aware of his presence and
>> they all went to the deep
>> end.
>>
>> One of the women shouted to him, "We're not coming
>> out until you leave!"
>> The old man frowned, "I didn't come down here to
>> watch you ladies swim naked
>> or make you get out of the pond naked." Holding the
>> bucket up he said, "I'm
>> here to feed the alligator."
>>
>> Moral: Old men can still think fast.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:55 am
Hey, hawkman. Loved the alligator funny. Indeed that moral is so true, and it helped my morale this morning. <smile>

Will wait for our Raggedy before commenting or acknowledging your bio's , Boston.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:16 am
On this date in 1879 Will Rogers was born,
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:21 am
That was a wiley post, dys. <smile> My dad loved him.

http://www.circlebarbtheatre.com/images/Will%20Rogers/willRogers%20smaller.jpg
0 Replies