(REPEAT TO FADE)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 07:32 am
http://www.greatclubs.com/prodimg/coffeephoto.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 07:51 am
Well, Walter. That must be a Spanish song. I did recognize sombrero, and a few other words, Germany. Razz What an unpleasant reminder that Americans are not too well versed in other languages. I guess it is because we haven't had to be.

ehBeth, that song sounds familiar. Lady Day?

How about something from Fats Domino this morning?

Blue Monday

Blue Monday how I hate Blue Monday
Got to work like a slave all day
Here come Tuesday, oh hard Tuesday
I'm so tired got no time to play

Here come Wednesday, I'm beat to my socks
My gal calls, got to tell her that I'm out
'Cause Thursday is a hard workin' day
And Friday I get my pay

Saturday mornin', oh Saturday mornin'
All my tiredness has gone away
Got my money and my honey
And I'm out on the stand to play

Sunday mornin' my head is bad
But it's worth it for the time that I had
But I've got to get my rest
'Cause Monday is a mess

Well, tomorrow is America's celebration of those who remember The Declaration of Independence. <smile>
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:06 am
George Sanders
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Sanders (July 3, 1906 - April 25, 1972) was an English actor in British and American films.

Birth in Russia

Sanders was born in St Petersburg, Russia of British parents. When he was eleven the family returned to Britain on the outbreak of the Russian Revolution and he attended Brighton College. After graduation he worked at a British advertising agency. It was there that the company secretary, an aspiring actress named Greer Garson, suggested a career in acting. His elder brother Tom Conway was also a film actor, to whom Sanders handed over the role of 'The Falcon'.

Film

He made his British film debut in 1934 and after a series of British films made his American debut in 1936 with a role in Lloyd's of London. His British accent and sensibilities, combined with his suave, snobbish and somewhat menacing air was utilised in American films during the next decade. He played memorable supporting roles in prestige productions such as Rebecca, in which he goaded the sinister Judith Anderson as Mrs Danvers, in her persecution against Joan Fontaine and he played leading roles in lesser pictures such as Rage in Heaven. During this time he was also the lead in both The Falcon and The Saint film series. He played Lord Henry Wotton in a film version of The Picture of Dorian Gray.

All about Eve

In 1950 he gave his most widely recognised performance and achieved his greatest success as the acid-tongued, manipulative, cold-blooded theatre critic "Addison DeWitt" in All About Eve, winning an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for this role.

Preceded by:
Dean Jagger
for Twelve O'Clock High Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor
for All About Eve Succeeded by:
Karl Malden
for A Streetcar Named Desire

Television

He moved into the field of television and was responsible for the successful series George Sanders Mystery Theatre and provided the voice for the malevolent Shere Khan in the Walt Disney production of The Jungle Book.

Benita Hume

Offscreen Sanders cultivated the image of a cultured playboy, a role not far removed from his screen characterisations, but in reality he was very happily married to actress Benita Hume from 1959 until her death in 1967. It was during this period that he completed his autobiography Memoirs of a Professional Cad, a work that, though now out of print, is still celebrated for its wit.

Singing

Sanders not only had dramatic flair, he was a talented singer. He released an album entitled The George Sanders Touch: Songs for the Lovely Lady and went to great lengths to get himself signed to sing in South Pacific, but severe anxiety over the role caused him to quickly drop it. Sanders' voice can be heard in one of his later films, Call Me Madam.

Zsa Zsa Gabor

He had been married from 1940 - 1949 to Susan Larson and ended up in divorce. From 1949 until 1954, he was married to the Hungarian actress Zsa Zsa Gabor. He and Zsa Zsa remained close friends after their divorce; it was Zsa Zsa that urged Sanders to marry another of the Gabor sisters - Magda - after Hume's death, but this union lasted less than a year.

Death

For many years Sanders had lived in Spain and it was in Castelldefels (a coastal town near Barcelona, Catalonia) that he committed suicide with an overdose of barbituates, leaving behind a suicide note that attributed his action to boredom (seen below). One of his final screen roles was in the 1972 feature film version of the popular television series Doomwatch.

"Dear World: I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

Legacy

Sanders' smooth voice, urbane manner and upper-class British accent were the inspiration for the Peter Sellers' character "Hercules Grytpype-Thynne" in the famous BBC radio comedy series The Goon Show.
He has been honoured with two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame - for Motion Pictures at 1636 Vine St, and for Television at 7007 Hollywood Blvd.
He is mentioned in the Kinks' song Celluloid Heroes: "And if you covered him with garbage/George Sanders would still have style," referring in fact to his star on Hollywood Blvd and referring allegorically to Sander's screen persona.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:13 am
Susan Peters
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Susan Peters (July 3, 1921 - October 23, 1952) was an Academy Award-nominated American film actress.

Peters was born Suzanne Carnahan in Spokane, Washington. She began working for MGM Studios after completing high school. Her first job was to read with potential actors in their screen tests. Before long she had impressed studio executives with her own talent, and they began casting her in films.

For the first two years she used her given name and played small, often uncredited parts in films such as Meet John Doe (1941), before adopting her stage name. Her first substantial role, in Random Harvest (1942), earned her an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress nomination. MGM began to groom her for starring roles, casting her in several lesser productions that allowed her to learn her craft. A starring role in Song of Russia (1943) earned her critical acclaim but the film was not a commercial success.

Married to the actor Richard Quine, she was with him on a hunting vacation in early 1945, when a rifle accidentally discharged, causing a bullet to be lodged in her spine. The accident left her permanently paralysed from the waist down and confined to a wheel chair, however she attempted to continue her acting career. An unsympathetic role in The Sign of the Ram (1948) failed to win an audience, and a starring role as a detective in the television series Miss Susan (1951) was also unsuccessful. She toured in stage productions of The Glass Menagerie and The Barretts of Wimpole Street, and her performances were highly regarded, but her disability made her a difficult actress to cast.

Her career faltered, and as her marriage ended, Peters suffered from depression. Her health continued to deteriorate until her death, in Visalia, California, from kidney disease and pneumonia, complicated by anorexia nervosa.

Susan Peters has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for her contribution to Motion Pictures, at 1601 Vine St.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Peters"
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:25 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:42 am
A magazine recently ran a "Dilbert Quotes" contest. They were looking for people to submit quotes from their real-life Dilbert-comic-strip-type managers. These were voted the top ten quotes from the managers we work for in corporate America.

"As of tomorrow, employees will only be able to access the building using individual security cards. Pictures will be taken next Wednesday, and employees will receive their cards in two weeks." (This was the winning quote from Fred Dales, Microsoft Corp. in Redmond WA)

"What I need is an exact list of specific unknown problems we might encounter." (Lykes Lines Shipping)

"E-mail is not to be used to pass on information or data. It should be used only for company business." (Accounting manager, Electric Boat Company)

"This project is so important we can't let things that are more important interfere with it." (Advertising/Marketing manager, United Parcel Service)

"Doing it right is no excuse for not meeting the schedule." (Plant Manager, Delco Corporation)

"No one will believe you solved this problem in one day! We've been working on it for months. Now go act busy for a few weeks and I'll let you know when it's time to tell them." (R&D supervisor, Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing/3M Corp.)

Quote from the Boss: "Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say." (Marketing executive, Citrix Corporation)

My sister passed away and her funeral was scheduled for Monday. When I told my Boss, he said she died on purpose so that I would have to miss work on the busiest day of the year. He then asked if we could change her burial to Friday. He said, "That would be better for me." (Shipping executive, FTD Florists)

"We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:57 am
Well, listeners, we are so glad to have our hawkman back with us. Thanks, Boston Bob, for all the background on the rich and famous.

Ah, corporate America. Methinks they are cryptic on purpose. Loved those reminders, honey.

In looking at the info on Tom Cruise, and the conjectures of his height, I was reminded of "The Real Measure of a Man."

The Measure Of A Man

The real measure of a man
Is not how well he takes a fall.
It is in how well he rises
If that man should go down at all.

If he blusters with bravado,
He's blowing wind into his sail.
But the day that sail starts to tear,
Will be the day that man will fail.

And men who challenge other men,
Of lesser skill or smaller size,
Will retreat from even combat,
Or they will try to compromise.

The man dependant on his looks,
Will later learn he can't depend,
On what the ravages of time,
Will cause to crumble, in the end.

Those who believe it is money,
The biggest house, or fastest car;
Are not unlike an empty box,
For the wrapping is all they are.

To know the measure of a man,
You will have to know where to start.
You won't find it on the surface,
It's only found within the heart.

Lovely poem, no?

I guess the only movie that showcased Tom Cruise for me, was Collateral. Dustin Hoffman stole the show in Rain Man.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 09:46 am
Lovely poem, Letty , interesting bios, Bob, and a good day to all. Very Happy

http://www.thegoldenyears.org/george_sanders.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/SusanPetersRandomHarvest.jpg
http://www.celebrity9.com/img/tom-cruise/tom-cruise-1.jpg

(Loved George Sanders in All About Eve. ) I think that's Susan Peters in Random Harvest (supporting role) before her accident.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:06 am
Well, there's our Raggedy, listeners, and once again reminding us of what we have forgotten. Thanks, PA. yes, that poem made me recall the measure of a woman: 34-23-34. Razz

For some reason, "The Sign of the Ram" has just been retrieved due to a clue in the environment. Perhaps Freud was correct. Nothing is ever forgotten and there are no accidents. Soooooo, that golfer who just broke my bathroom window, subconsciously planned it all, and I don't EVEN know him. <smile>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:01 pm
I know that I read a book called The Sign of the Ram when I was a kid, but I can't find the damned thing on google, cause everything is commercial now. That's probably why I have such a difficult time locating places. Evil or Very Mad

Here is a poem that is intriguing:

Amphora
Catherine Daly

Once the clay is formed, human terms describe the pots, because handles are arms or ears, because clay means adam or my feet are clay, the first instance, opposite an hourglass in shape. Women are time or pregnant. Time sifts down, mixing with inevitable water. Time becomes mud becomes clay. History builds.

Once the clay is spun on the wheel, it is shaped into anything he desires; he -- men made forms -- women decorated, maybe, anathema. Clay cures.

Once the form is made, slip is painted, and for once, the pot is fired.

Once the pot is hard and durable, it is a vessel. Not a ship, a shape to store and transport liquid, perhaps on a ship, stores of wine, grain, olives.

Once carried, I carried an amphora once.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:56 pm
letty wrote :
"...whiskey sour used to be my cocktail of choice; however, Canada, aspirin seems to work better for me now..." .

what a bummer ( Shocked ) !
i sure hope that whiskey sour has better 'medicinal properties' than aspirin Very Happy ; keeps the blood flowing , you know .
hbg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:13 pm
big smile for you, hbg. I don't know what it is, but I have lost my taste for alcohol. I do have a screwdriver once in a great while.

When I go out to eat, I have a martini with three olives and Tangeray gin. You only need one martini, because it's a sipping drink.

A song by Pink Martini:

PINK MARTINI » Sympathique

Ma chambre a la forme d'une cage
Le soleil passe son bras par la fenêtre
Les chasseurs à ma porte
Comme les p'tits soldats
Qui veulent me prendre

Je ne veux pas travailler
Je ne veux pas déjeuner
Je veux seulement l'oublier
Et puis je fume

Déjà j'ai connu le parfum de l'amour
Un million de roses n'embaumerait pas autant
Maintenant une seule fleur dans mes entourages
Me rend malade

Je ne veux pas déjeuner
Et puis je fume

Je ne suis pas fière de ça
Vie qui veut me tuer
C'est magnifique être sympathique
Mais je ne le connais jamais

Non
Je ne veux pas déjeuner
Et puis je fume

Je ne suis pas fière de ça
Vie qui veut me tuer
C'est magnifique être sympathique
Mais je ne le connais jamais

Non
Je ne veux pas déjeuner
Et puis je fume.

I searched for that song for quite a while, and got it in French. Razz

I should have done Pink Champagne.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:53 pm
Jealous Guy

I was dreaming of the past.
And my heart was beating fast,
I began to lose control,
I began to lose control,

I didn't mean to hurt you,
I'm sorry that I mad you cry,
I didn't want to hurt you,
I'm just a jealous guy,

I was feeling insecure,
You night not love me any more,

I was shivering inside,
I was shivering inside,

I was trying to catch your eyes,
Thought that you were trying to hide,
I was swallowing my pain,
I was swallowing my pain.

I didn't mean to hurt you,
I'm sorry that I mad you cry,
I didn't want to hurt you,
I'm just a jealous guy,
I'm just a jealous guy,
Watch out
I'm just a jealous guy...

Artist: John Lennon Lyrics
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:59 pm
Hi all. Talking about drinks, how about a…

SHERRY DARLING
Bruce Springsteen Lyrics

Your Mamma's yappin' in the back seat
Tell her to push over and move them big feet
Every Monday morning I gotta drive her down to the unemployment agency
Well this morning I ain't fighting tell her I give up
Tell her she wins if she'll just shut up
But it's the last time that she's gonna be ridin' with me

(Chorus)
You can tell her there's a hot sun beatin' on the black top
She keeps talkin' she'll be walkin' that last block
She can take a subway back to the ghetto tonight
Well I got some beer and the highway's free
And I got you, and baby you've got me.
Hey, hey, hey what you say Sherry Darlin'

Now there's girls melting on the beach
And they're so fine but so far out of reach
Cause I'm stuck in traffic down here on 53rd street
Now Sherry my love for you is real
But I didn't count on this package deal
And baby this car just aint big enough for her and me

(Chorus)
So you can tell her there's a hot sun beatin' on the black top
She keeps talkin' she'll be walkin' that last block
She can take a subway back to the ghetto tonight
Well I got some beer and the highway's free
And I got you, and baby you've got me.
Hey, hey, hey what you say Sherry Darlin'

Well let there be sunlight, let there be rain
Let the brokenhearted love again
Sherry we can run with our arms open before the tide
To all the girls down at Sacred Heart
And all you operators back in the Park
Say hey, hey, hey what you say Sherry Darlin'
Hey, hey, hey, what you say Sherry Darlin'
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 03:05 pm
Ah, Rex. Lennon did a lot of music, and it changed from phase to phase, no? Thanks, Maine.

I was thinking of a song by Johnny Mercer today, because our travel forum inspired it.

Ella Fitzgerald version:

Midnight Sun

Your lips were like a red and ruby chalice, warmer than the summer night
The clouds were like an alabaster palace rising to a snowy height.
Each star its own aurora borealis, suddenly you held me tight
I could see the Midnight Sun.

I can't explain the silver rain that found me--or was that a moonlit veil?
The music of the universe around me, or was that a nightingale?
And then your arms miraculously found me,suddenly the sky turned pale,
I could see the Midnight Sun.

Was there such a night, it's a thrill I still don't quite believe,
But after you were gone, there was still some stardust on my sleeve.

The flame of it may dwindle to an ember, and the stars forget to shine,
And we may see the meadow in December, icy white and crystalline,
But oh my darling always I'll remember when your lips were close to mine,
And we saw the Midnight Sun.

Solo (Xilophone)

The flame of it may dwindle to an ember, and the stars forget to shine,
And we may see the meadow in December, icy white and crystalline,
But oh my darling always I'll remember when your lips were close to mine,
And I saw the Midnight Sun, the Midnight Sun, the Midnight Sun --
The Midnight Sun----
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 03:17 pm
I'm always missing you, Try. Why? Cause you're fast. <smile> Well, since tomorrow is our big celebration day, how about this one from the Boss.

The U.S.A. Lyrics
by Bruce Springsteen

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
'Til you spend half your life just covering up

[chorus:]
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

I got in a little hometown jam
And so they put a rifle in my hands
Sent me off to Vietnam
To go and kill the yellow man

[chorus]

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
I go down to see the V.A. man
He said "Son don't you understand"

[chorus]

I had a buddy at Khe Sahn
Fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone
He had a little girl in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years down the road
Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

I'm a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
I'm a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 03:53 pm
Letty, can't play that one without playing Cheech Marin's reply Laughing
the final adlibbed stanza i transcribed as best i could. i used to live scant blocks from the corner of Soto St. & Brooklyn Ave. by the way

(Cheech:)
Took a walk to the corner store
Just to buy a loaf of bread and a box of s`mores
Up pulled a guy in a yellow van
Shiny gold badge flashing in his hand

(Chong:)
He said, alright all you mojados down here
I want you all to hit the floor
I got one thing to ask you and nothing more
So answer in English, if you can
Where were ya born, man

Huh? Where was I born?

That`s right, I said
Where were ya born?

Hey, are you one of those dudes who do horoscopes, man
Hey, I`m a Cancer with a bad moon rising

Look here el fago, watch my lips
Where were ya born?

I was BORN IN EAST L.A.
Man, I was BORN IN EAST L.A.

Oh yeah, you were BORN IN EAST L.A.
Let`s see your green card

Huh? Green card?
I`m from East LA

Alright, then who`s President of the United States

Oh, that`s easy, man
That guy that used to be on Death Valley Days, John Wayne

Alright, let`s go, come on

Next thing I know, I`m in a foreign land
People talkin so fast, I couldn`t understand
There was nobody there to lend a helping hand
I was cold, it was dark where is a burger stand

I want to go back to East LA
I wish I was back in East LA
I don`t belong here in downtown T.J.
Cause I was born in East LA, Ole!

I crawled under barbed wire, swam across a stream
Rode in six different trucks packed like a sardine
Walked all day in the burning sun
Now I know what it`s like to be born to run

Up ahead was the promised land
Shining like a star just beyond my hand
All I could see was a golden door
I looked up, a sign said five billion sold

And I was back in East LA
Yes, I was back in East LA
You know I`m never gonna stray
Cause I was born in East LA Orale!

I'm a low rider vato from East LA Cuidate!
Born in East LA Orale!
Soto Street Orale!
Brooklyn Avenue Orale!
City Terrace Orale!
Whittier Boulevard Orale!
I'm a lowrider vato from far away Orale!

EAST LA!!!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 04:22 pm
I don't want the night to end

Oh mommy mommy
Oh mommy mommy, yeah
I stood too near the gaslight
And I cried
The dirty city mist
Had seeped too deep inside
It took me on some kind