WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 07:31 pm
Hey, Letty played a sad song, so I'll take it back.

Goodnight, my friends.

Catch you all tomorrow on our little radio.

From Letty with love
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 05:21 am
Jacques-Yves Cousteau
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jacques-Yves Cousteau in 1976.Jacques-Yves Cousteau (11 June 1910 - 25 June 1997) was a French naval officer, explorer, ecologist, filmmaker, photographer and researcher who studied the sea and all forms of life in water. He co-developed the aqua-lung, pioneered marine conservation and was a member of the Académie française.

Cousteau was born in Saint André de Cubzac, France to Daniel and Elizabeth Cousteau on June 11, 1910 and died in Paris, France. He is generally known in France as le commandant Cousteau ("Commander Cousteau"). Worldwide, he was commonly known as Jacques Cousteau or Captain Cousteau.

Personal history

Jacques-Yves Cousteau was born in Saint-André-de-Cubzac, France to Daniel Cousteau (a lawyer) and Elizabeth Cousteau.

1933: He joined the French Navy.
12 June 1937: He married Simone Melchior.
1938: His son Jean-Michel Cousteau was born.
1940: His son Phillipe Cousteau was born.
1967: His grandson Fabien Cousteau (son of Jean-Michel Cousteau) was born.
1979: His son Phillipe Cousteau died in a PBY Catalina flying boat crash.
1 December 1990: His wife Simone died of cancer.
June 1991: He married Francine Triplet. They later had a daughter Diane Cousteau and a son Pierre-Yves Cousteau.
He died on 25 June 1997 aged 87 of a heart attack while recovering from a respiratory illness. He is buried in the Cousteau family plot at Saint-André-de-Cubzac Cemetery, Saint-André-de-Cubzac, France.

Early life

In 1930, Cousteau was admitted to the École Navale (Naval Academy) in Brest and became a gunnery officer of the French Navy, which gave him the opportunity to make his first underwater experiments. He was training to become a pilot, but a serious car accident ended his aviation career. In 1936 he tested a model of underwater goggles, perhaps the ancestors of modern diving masks.

In 1937 he married Simone Melchior. He took part in World War II, and during the conflict he found the time to be co-inventor, with Emile Gagnan, of the first commercially successful open circuit type of SCUBA diving equipment, the aqualung in 1943. Among the things that prompted him to develop efficient air-breathing free-swimming diving gear, were two oxygen toxicity accidents that he had earlier with rebreathers.

After WWII, while still a naval officer, he developed techniques (including forming an unofficial clearance diver unit using his aqualungs) for minesweeping of France's harbors. He also explored shipwrecks.

At one point he explored a deep flooded cave at Vaucluse in France; during this he experienced difficulties because he had relied on a previous report by a standard diver who had dived there, but that previous report proved to be very inaccurate or complete fiction.[citation needed]

During this he made an underwater film called Épaves (Shipwrecks). While planning to make it, he found that under postwar shortages, unexposed movie film was impossible to buy, so his wife had to make movie reels by gluing together end-to-end dozens of small short unexposed film reels intended for children's toy cameras. Showing this film proved vital in persuading the French Navy to make official his unofficial diving capsule.

Exploration on the Calypso

In 1950 shortly after his 40th birthday Loel Guinness (who was named the president of the French Oceanographic Campaigns) bought the ex-Royal Navy minesweeper Calypso when it was doing service as a ferry between Malta and Gozo. Guinness leased it to Cousteau for a symbolic one franc a year.

In the Calypso Cousteau visited the most interesting waters of the planet, including some rivers. During these trips he produced many books and films. Cousteau won three Oscars for The Silent World (1956), The Golden Fish, and World Without Sun (1964), as well as many other top awards including the Palme d'Or in 1956 at the Cannes Film Festival. His work did a great deal to popularize knowledge of underwater biology and was featured in the long-lived documentary television series The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau which began in 1968.

In the mid-1950s, Cousteau had worked with Luis Marden aboard the Calypso, in which they pioneered new techniques in underwater photography. In 1963, along with Jean de Wouters, Cousteau developed the underwater camera named "Calypso-Phot" which was later licensed to Nikon and became the "Calypso-Nikkor" and then the Nikonos. Together with Jean Mollard, he created the SP-350, a two-man submarine that could reach a depth of 350 m below the ocean's surface. The successful experiment was soon repeated in 1965 with two submarines that reached 500 m depth.

In 1957, Cousteau was made director of the Oceanographic Museum in Monaco, created the Underseas Research Group in Toulon, was the leader of the Conshelf Saturation Dive Program (long-term immersion experiments, the first manned undersea colonies) and was one of the few foreigners who has been admitted to the American Academy of Sciences.

Marine conservation

Cousteau's popularity was increasing. In October 1960, a large amount of radioactive waste was going to be discarded in the sea by EURATOM. Cousteau organized a publicity campaign which gained wide popular support. The train carrying the waste was stopped by women and children sitting on the railway, and it was sent back to its origin. The risk was avoided. During this, a French government man had said falsely to a newspaper that Cousteau had approved the dump; Cousteau managed to get the newspaper to issue a correction.[citation needed]

In November 1960 in Monaco an official visit by the French president Charles de Gaulle turned into a debate on the events of October 1960 and on nuclear experiments in general. The French ambassador already had suggested that Prince Rainier avoid the subject, but the president allegedly asked Cousteau in a friendly manner to be kind toward nuclear researchers, and Cousteau allegedly replied: "No sir, it is your researchers that ought to be kind toward us." During this discussion, Cousteau realized that the reason for French experiments and research was American refusal to share its atomic secrets with its allies.[citation needed]

In 1973, along with his two sons, and Frederick Hyman who was the first President, he created the Cousteau Society for the protection of ocean life; it now has more than 300,000 members.

In 1977, together with Peter Scott, he received the UN international environment prize.

In 1985 he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Ronald Reagan.

In 1992 he was invited to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for the United Nations' international conference on environment and development, and then he became a regular consultant for the UN and the World Bank.

Legacy

Cousteau liked to call himself an "oceanographic technician". He was in reality a sophisticated lover of nature. His work permitted many people to explore the resources of the "blue continent".

His work also created a new kind of scientific communication, criticised at the time by some academics. The so-called divulgationisme, a simple way of sharing scientific concepts, was soon employed in other disciplines and became one of the most important characteristics of modern TV broadcasting.

Cousteau's son, Jean-Michel, and his grandson, Fabien Cousteau, are also oceanographic explorers and filmmakers. Fabien Cousteau studied sharks in their natural habitat with a custom-built shark-shaped submarine. Jean-Michel Cousteau has recently made a new documentary series for release in 2006.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 05:25 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 05:28 am
Gene Wilder
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gene Wilder (born Jerome Silberman on June 11, 1933 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) is an American actor, who has starred in more than thirty movies.

He is best known as the title character from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and is also known for his collaborations with writer, producer, director Mel Brooks. He also collaborated on many projects with comedian Richard Pryor. Gene Wilder made many movies with Brooks starting with The Producers in 1968, for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actor. He was also nominated for an Academy Award for co-writing Young Frankenstein with Brooks. (Years later, he would spoof himself while guest-starring on Will & Grace as a character named "Frank Stein.")

Biography

Born in Milwaukee, the son of Russian Jewish immigrants, Wilder studied drama at the University of Iowa, where he was a member of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity, graduating in 1955, and later attended Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in the UK. He served in the United States Army from 1956 to 1958.

Returning to the United States, Wilder sought work in the theater supporting himself by driving a limousine and teaching fencing. His career started with the theater in various off- Broadway shows before making it on the Great White Way. It was on Broadway that he had a particularly good year in 1961 with the plays "The Complaisant Lover" and "Roots" and garnered the Clarence Derwent Award. It was several years later when casting for Mother Courage and Her Children in 1964 with actress Anne Bancroft that gave his career an even greater boost; comedian Mel Brooks, whom Bancroft was dating at the time, took a liking to Wilder and cast him in several films.

Wilder's first big part was in Bonnie and Clyde where he played an undertaker abducted by the couple. Perhaps two of his best known roles are as Willy Wonka in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and as Leo Bloom in The Producers.

In the late 1970s and 1980s he appeared in a number of movies with Richard Pryor, making them the most prolific inter-racial comedy double act in movies during the period. However, Wilder later admitted the two were not as close as people believed. In fact, in his autobiography Wilder said many negative things about Pryor. He mentioned how difficult he was, his severe drug addiction and how he often held up shooting with his antics.

In 1979 he starred alongside Harrison Ford in the comedy The Frisco Kid.

Wilder was married to Saturday Night Live actress Gilda Radner from 1984 until her death from ovarian cancer in 1989. Since then he has remained active in promoting cancer awareness and treatment. Wilder himself was hospitalized with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1999 and made a full recovery in 2000.

He has been married to voice therapist Karen Boyer since 1991.

On March 1, 2005, Wilder released his highly-personal memoir Kiss Me Like A Stranger, an account of his life covering everything from his childhood, when his mother died of heart disease, up through his wife's death.

Controversy with Tim Burton

Gene Wilder is probably best known for his role as Willy Wonka in 1971's Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. Prior to the release of Tim Burton's 2005 reboot of the movie (entitled Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), Wilder said the remake was "all about money," (though the original version had been produced by the Quaker Oats Company in hopes of selling its new line of Wonka bar chocolates) and that there was no need to remake the 1971 film. Wilder has noted that, if the remake "has to be done," he saw Johnny Depp as a perfect choice to reprise the role of Willy Wonka. Tim Burton has said he felt that the 1971 version was "sappy" and that he "rate[s] [the musical] Chitty Chitty Bang Bang higher."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 05:32 am
The woman at the supermarket checkout was giving the
clerk a hard time. As her audience in the waiting line
increased, she became more abusive. Finally, the
patient clerk came to a dog's flea collar. The checker
asked the customer if she was aware that the
package had been opened.

"Of course," the woman snapped. "I opened it. You
can't expect me to get it home and find out it's the
wrong size."

A voice from the line spoke for all of us: "Wear it in
good health."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 07:08 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

It's a cloudless day here but very dry, and strange creatures have been sighted in the neighborhood probably searching out water.

Thanks, hawkman, for the bio's. I guess that lady at the checkout deserved that perfect squelch.<smile>

First things first, folks. Coffee then more music, news, and photos.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 07:22 am
I guess this one's not so appropriate for a Sunday morning - - -

THE BEATLES
"Good Morning, Good Morning"

(Lennon/McCartney)

Good morning, good morning
Good morning ah

Nothing to do to save his life call his wife in
Nothing to say but what a day how's your boy been
Nothing to do it's up to you
I've got nothing to say but it's OK

Good morning ah

Going to work don't want to go feeling low down
Heading for home you start to roam then you're in town
Everybody knows there's nothing doing
Everything is closed it's like a ruin
Everyone you see is half asleep
And you're on your own you're in the street

After a while you start to smile now you feel cool
Then you decide to take a walk by the old school
Nothing is changed it's still the same

Good morning ah

People running round it's five o'clock
Everywhere in town is getting dark
Everyone you see is full of life
It's time for tea and meet the wife

Somebody needs to know the time, glad that I'm here
Watching the skirts you start to flirt now you're in gear
Go to a show you hope she goes

Good morning, good morning, good
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 07:44 am
Good morning, edgar. That is a very interesting song, and one that I don't quite understand. I am assuming that it's a downer, right?

Well, folks, I have been searching through the archives for Richard Todd, and I believe that he played in a movie called The Hasty Heart, but I need to check that out further. Maybe our Raggedy will have a picture of him.

We all know Wilder and Cousteau, so no need to research those two.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 07:54 am
Found it, folks:

The Hasty Heart
1949-UK/USA-Melodrama/Medical Drama/War Drama
N.Y. Times Review by Bosley Crowther

PLOT DESCRIPTION
Richard Todd plays an insufferable Scots soldier confined to a World War II military hospital. Ronald Reagan is an all-American patient who befriends the headstrong Scotsman, while Patricia Neal is the compassionate nurse. Gradually the patients grow begrudgingly fond of Todd, and when it is learned that he is suffering from a fatal illness, everyone involved tries to keep his true condition a secret from him. Todd inadvertently discovers the truth, and violently turns against his new buddies. But before the fade-out, friendship wins out over bitterness and self-pity. Filmed in England, Hasty Heart is based on the stage play by John Patrick. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Ronald Reagan? Shocked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 07:54 am
Richard Todd Filmography:

Actor
2004 100 Years of Flight
1992 On a Wing and a Prayer
1991 Sherlock Holmes and the Incident at Victoria Falls
1991 Sherlock Holmes: Incident at Victoria Falls
1989 Murder, She Wrote: Appointment in Athens
1986 Busted Up
1985 Hitchcock, II Brivido Del Genio
1985 Jenny's War
1982 Doctor Who: Kinda, Episode 4
1982 Doctor Who: Kinda, Episode 2
1982 House of the Long Shadows
1982 Doctor Who: Kinda, Episode 3
1982 Doctor Who: Kinda, Episode 1
1978 The Big Sleep
1977 Number 1 of the Secret Service
1976 Sky Is Falling
1974 The Next Scream You Hear
1972 The Aquarian
1972 Asylum
1970 Das Bildnis des Dorian Gray
1968 Subterfuge
1968 Last of the Long-Haired Boys
1967 The Love-Ins
1965 Coast of Skeletons
1965 Operation Crossbow
1965 The Affair at Villa Fiorita
1963 The Very Edge
1963 Sanders
1962 Le Crime Ne Paie Pas
1962 The Boys
1962 The Longest Day
1962 The Hellions
1961 The Long, the Short and the Tall
1961 Why Bother to Knock?
1961 The Long and the Short and the Tall
1960 Never Let Go
1959 Breakout
1958 Chase a Crooked Shadow
1958 Intent to Kill
1958 The Naked Earth
1957 The Yangtse Incident
1957 Saint Joan
1956 Marie Antoinette, Reine de France
1956 D-Day, the Sixth of June
1955 The Dam Busters
1955 A Man Called Peter
1955 The Virgin Queen
1954 Secrets D'Alcove
1953 Rob Roy
1953 Affair in Monte Carlo
1953 The Sword and the Rose
1952 The Assassin
1952 The Story of Robin Hood
1951 Flesh and Blood
1951 Lightning Strikes Twice
1950 Portrait of Clare
1950 Stage Fright
1949 The Interrupted Journey
1949 The Hasty Heart
1949 For Them That Trespass
Wings over the World (documentary series)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:01 am
Thanks, edgar. Now we all know the complete filmography as well as that one movie.

I am certain Raggedy will be along shortly, so I'll wait for her.

In the interim, folks, a poem by Rosalie Kramer:

THE HEART OF A WOMAN

The heart of a woman is like a great big purse.

It can contain the entire universe.

There is room for friends and long lost lovers,

For dogs and kittens, fathers and mothers.

But in the core is the place for boys and girls,

For their bright eyes and shining curls.

They are our futures and our legacy,

Our proud achievement that anyone can see.

Yes, in the hearts of women, there are many things,

The ability to love, and laugh and to give up dreams.

Like that old purse, sometimes tattered and sore

A woman's heart can always stretch to hold a little more.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:37 am
Good morning each and all.

Bryan Adams Lyrics
Song: (Everything I Do) I Do It For You Lyrics

Look into my eyes - you will see
What you mean to me
Search your heart - search your soul
And when you find me there you'll search no more

Don't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
You can't tell me it's not worth dyin' for
You know it's true
Everything I do - I do it for you

Look into your heart - you will find
There's nothin' there to hide
Take me as I am - take my life
I would give it all - I would sacrifice

Don't tell me it's not worth fightin' for
I can't help it - there's nothin' I want more
Ya know it's true

There's no love - like your love
And no other - could give more love
There's nowhere - unless you're there
All the time - all the way

Oh - you can't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
I can't help it - there's nothin' I want more
I would fight for you - I'd lie for you
Walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you

Ya know it's true
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:51 am
There's our Try. Great song, buddy. Somehow your melody reminded me of the short story by Saki titled "The Open Window." The last line was ".....romance at short notice was her speciality". So many people misconstrue the word romance, right?

News from the world of music:

Musicians Hall of Fame opens in Nashville By JOHN GEROME, Associated Press Writer
Fri Jun 9, 7:56 PM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Rock stars, country stars and even songwriters have their own halls of fame. Now their backing musicians are getting into the act, too.

The Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum opened Friday and honors those who have played and recorded with stars of all stripes, from the Red Hot Chili Peppers to Stevie Wonder to Hank Williams.

Located in an old warehouse just south of the city's honky-tonk district, the hall is the brainchild of Joe Chambers, a Nashville songwriter and guitar store owner.

Chambers said the musicians who help create some of the most memorable recordings in popular music often get overlooked.

"I think the public hasn't been given the information or the opportunity to know who is playing on a lot of those records," Chambers said.

They certainly have it now. Instruments, photos, movies, recordings and other artifacts tell the story of session players and touring musicians, whether in Detroit, New York, Memphis, Los Angeles, Nashville or Muscle Shoals, Ala.

That weepy steel guitar on Bob Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay"? The late session ace Pete Drake. The funky beat on the Chili Peppers' "Give It Away"? The band's drummer Chad Smith, who has worked with many other acts in the studio. The alternating bass line on Hank Williams' "Your Cheatin' Heart"? Floyd "Lightnin'" Chance. The list goes on and on.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 09:58 am
that hall of fame is a great idea. i hope bassist Carol Kaye is a charter member. she played on an unbelievable number of hit records, and worked with everybody from the Beach Boys to Frank Zappa.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 10:11 am
My goodness, Mr. Turtle. There are not many female bassists, so that's another bit of info for our listeners. I didn't want to read the entire article to our listeners, so I will need to go back and check for Carol Kaye.

Let's do a Hank Williams for our country folk out there. This version by junior. <smile>

Artist/Band: Williams Hank Jr
Lyrics for Song: Your Cheatin' Heart

(Your cheatin' heart will tell on you)

Your cheatin' heart will make you weep
You'll cry and cry and try to sleep
But sleep won't come the whole night through
Your cheatin' heart will tell on you

When tears come down like falling rain
You'll toss around and call my name

You'll walk the floor the way
I do your cheatin' heart will tell on you
When tears come down...
Your cheatin' heart will tell on you

Sometimes, folks, I wish Hank Jr. would leave his dad's style in tact.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:35 am
Book Mark Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 12:26 pm
butterfly. Welcome to our little studio, Auzzie. You may mark anything that you like as long as it isn't graffiti. <smile>

I have been looking for a song done by a gentleman who was mugged recently because he is gay, but the only one that I can find is this one by Alice. Razz

You got your sugar
You got your spice
You got a kitten
Now isn't that nice
You just can't wait for a picnic in Spring
I just get nauseous
When I think of those things

You wait and wait and you wait for a lifetime
For a little piece of cake in the night time yeah
You wait and wait you can't wait any longer
You wait and wait, couldn't be any wronger no

Give it up
Don't let it get you down
Give it up
you really really blew it
Give it up
Turn your head around

You shop around for a sensible car
You hold your breath when you wish on a star
You settle down in a warm little house
You make some babies with your warm little spouse
Ah, how nice

Give it up
Give it up
Give it up
Turn your head around

Just when you got it made
And all your bills are paid
You stumble and fall into your grave
Ah, too bad

Give it up
Give it up
Give it up
Turn your head around
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 12:29 pm
The Guests

One by one, the guests arrive
The guests are coming through
The open-hearted many
The broken-hearted few
And no one knows where the night is going
And no one knows why the wine is flowing
Oh love I need you
I need you
I need you
I need you
Oh . . . I need you now

And those who dance, begin to dance
Those who weep begin
And "Welcome, welcome" cries a voice
"Let all my guests come in."

And no one knows where the night is going ...

And all go stumbling through that house
in lonely secrecy
Saying "Do reveal yourself"
or "Why has thou forsaken me?"

All at once the torches flare
The inner door flies open
One by one they enter there
In every style of passion

And here they take their sweet repast
While house and grounds dissolve
And one by one the guests are cast
Beyond the garden wall

Those who dance, begin to dance
Those who weep begin
Those who earnestly are lost
Are lost and lost again

One by the guests arrive
The guests are coming through
The broken-hearted many
The open-hearted few

L Cohen
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 12:55 pm
Great song by Leonardo, edgar. <smile> Actually, Texas. That is not the "Give it Up" that I was looking for.

Anyone here know? I don't want to search again because things are awry in the archive section.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 01:12 pm
How about…

K.c. And The Sunshine Band -
Give It Up Lyrics

Everybody wants you - everybody wants your love.
I'd just like to make you mine
oh mine.
Baby
give it up
give it up. Baby
give it up.
Baby
give it up
give it up. Baby
give it up.
Everybody sees you - everybody looks and stares.
I'd just like to make you mine
oh mine.
Baby
give it up
give it up. Baby
give it up.
Baby
give it up
give it up. Baby
give it up. Give it up.
Baby
give it up
give it up. Baby
give it up
Baby
give it up
give it up. Baby
give it up
Everybody wants you - everybody wants your love. . . .

Can you give it
can you give it
give it up? Come on
baby
I need your love
Do you know I want it
baby? Come on
baby
I want your love.
Give it up some of your love
come on and play the game of love.
Everybody isn't me