WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:07 pm
You know, edgar. That song is a perfect combination for a good relationship, methinks, and the "friend" part should be the most important.

Well, listeners, let's play it through, shall we?

Frank Sinatra
» Just Friends

Just friends
Lovers no more
Just friends
But not like before
To think of what we've been
And not to kiss again
Seems like pretending
It isn't the ending
Two friends
Drifting apart
Two friends
But one broken heart
We loved we laughed we cried
Then suddenly love died
The story ends
And we're
Just friends
We loved we laughed and we cried
Then suddenly love died
The story ends
And we're
Just friends
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:09 pm
And it's especially good sung by Sinatra.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:14 pm
You're right, edgar. In spite of the fact that his personal life was a shambles, that guy could do it all. I think that must be the way of many musicians, Texas.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:20 pm
Aren't You Glad You're YouBing Crosby lyrics

[Words by Johnny Burke and Music by Jimmy Van Heusen]

Do you make the most of your five senses
Or is your life like Old Mother Hubbard's shelf
Well, mark this on your slate
Life is not an empty plate
That's if you appreciate yourself

Ev'ry time you're near a rose
Aren't you glad you've got a nose
And if the dawn is fresh with dew
Aren't you glad you're you
When a meadowlark appears
Aren't you glad you've got two ears
And if your heart is singing, too
You can see a summer sky
Or touch a friendly hand
Or taste an apple pie
Pardon the grammar, but ain't life grand
And when you wake up each morn
Aren't you glad that you were born
Think what you've got the whole day through

Trivia:
Introduced by Bing Crosby
In the film "The Bells of Saint Mary's"
Nominated for an Academy Award, 1945
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:32 pm
My mom and Bing Crosby. She loved him. His life wasn't too squeaky clean either.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:43 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:20 pm
I didn't find "Passion" so much controversial as repulsive. I barely made it to the end.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:39 pm
I had no desire to see it, edgar.

Well, how about another song, folks.

Michael Buble

More I See You

Each time I look at you is like the first time
Each time you're near me the thrill is new
And there is nothing that I wouldn't do for
The rare delight of the sight of you for

The more I see you, the more I want you
Somehow this feeling just grows and grows
With every sigh I become more mad about you
More lost without you and so it goes

Can you imagine how much I love you?
The more I see you as years go by
I know the only one for me can only be you
My arms won't free you, my heart won't try

I know the only one for me can only be you
My arms won't free you, my heart won't try
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:14 pm
But You Know I Love You - Dolly Parton

When the morning sun streaks across my room
And I'm wakened up from another dream of you
Yes you know I'm on the road once again it seems
All that's left behind is a chain of broken dreams

But you know that I love you you
Know that I love you, oh, how I love you
And how I wish this love was all we'd need to live
What a life we'd have cause I've got so much to give
But you know I feel so sad down inside my heart
That the dollar signs should be keeping us apart

But you know that I love you you
And if only I could find my way back to the time
When the problems of this life had not yet crossed my mind
For the answers could be found in children's nursery rhymes
I'd come running back to you I'd come running back to you

But you know we can't live on dreams alone
Got to pay the rent got so I must leave you all alone
But you know I made my choice many years ago
And now this traveling life well it's the only life I know
But you know that I love you you,
But you know that I love you you,
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 04:22 am
Good morning WA2K radio fans and contributors.

Thanks, Texas for a reminder of Dolly. The morning sun is here with me and streaking through my window blinds, so how about a morning song:

Feeling Good

Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel
Reeds driftin' on by you know how I feel

(refrain)
It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good

Fish in the sea you know how I feel
River running free you know how I feel
Blossom in the tree you know how I feel

(refrain)

Dragonfly out in the sun you know what I mean, don't you know
Butterflies all havin' fun you know what I mean
Sleep in peace when day is done
That's what I mean

And this old world is a new world
And a bold world
For me

Stars when you shine you know how I feel
Scent of the pine you know how I feel
Oh freedom is mine
And I know how I feel
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:38 am
Hattie McDaniel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hattie McDaniel (June 10, 1895 - October 26, 1952) was an actress, who was the first African American to be nominated and to win for her Academy Award-winning supporting role of Mammy in the 1939 epic movie Gone with the Wind.

Early life

Hattie McDaniel was born in Wichita, Kansas to Baptist preacher Henry McDaniel and Susan Holbert, a singer of religious music. Her grandmother had been a household slave cook on a Virginia plantation, and her father was born into slavery as a fieldhand. Henry McDaniel served as a soldier for the Union Army during the Civil War. Hattie was born on June 10, 1895, the youngest of thirteen children. The family briefly lived in Fort Collins, Colorado at 317 Cherry St (which still stands) and Hattie briefly attended Franklin School. In 1910 she was the only African American participant in a Women's Christian Temperance Movement event in which she won a gold medal for reciting a poem entitled "Convict Joe." Winning the award was what cemented her dream of becoming a performer. She dropped out of high school after her sophomore year, traveling with a minstrel group started by her father and brothers Otis and Sam. In addition to performing, Hattie was also a songwriter, a skill she honed while working with Henry's minstrel show. After the death of her brother Otis in 1916 the family's minstrel group began to lose momentum, and it wasn't until 1920 that Hattie received another big opportunity. She joined George Morrison's "Melody Hounds" and received brilliant reviews.

Career

McDaniel was among the first African-American women to sing on the radio. In 1925 McDaniel began singing on KOA, a Denver radio station. Her radio job led to the recording of several songs, which she herself had written. She had the opportunity to tour many American cities, most frequently she was booked by the Theatrical Owners Booking Association, which was comprised of black theater owners. She was playing the role of "Queenie" in Showboat when the stock market crashed, and her company had to shut down. The only work McDaniel could find was a job as washroom attendant at Club Madrid in Milwaukee, a primarily white club. Despite the owner's reluctance to let her perform, McDaniel was eventually allowed to take the stage, and became a regular. In 1931, McDaniel made her way to Los Angeles to join her brother Sam, and sisters Etta and Orlena. When she could not get film work, she took jobs as a maid or cook. Sam was working on a radio program called "The Optimistic Do-Nut Hour" and he was able to get his sister a spot on the show. Her show became extremely popular, but her salary was so low that she had to continue working as a maid. In the early years of the 1930's she received roles in several films, often singing in choruses. However, she didn't receive screen credit for her work. Over the course of her career, McDaniel appeared in over 300 films, although she only received screen credits for about 80. Because of the paucity of roles available to African American actresses, she spent much of her twenty-year career playing maids. She has been quoted as saying: "Why should I complain about making seven hundred dollars a week playing a maid? If I didn't, I'd be making seven dollars a week actually being one." [1] 1934's Judge Priest, directed by John Ford and starring Will Rogers, was the first film in which she would receive a leading role. She got to sing several times in the film, including a duet with Will Rogers. McDaniel and Rogers became good friends during filming, and Rogers would credit her with the film's success. By the mid-thirties, McDaniel had befriended several of Hollywood's most popular white stars, including Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Shirley Temple, Henry Fonda, Ronald Reagan, and Olivia de Havilland and Clark Gable, with whom she would star in Gone With the Wind. It was around this time that she began to be criticized by members of the black community for roles she was choosing to take. 1935's The Little Colonel depicted black servants longing for a return to the Old South. Ironically, McDaniel's portrayal of the maid Malena in Alice Adams, made that same year, was a depiction that angered white Southern audiences. This was the type of role she would be best known for, the sassy, sometimes outspoken, even opinionated maid. It was one such role, that of Mammy in Gone with the Wind (1939), opposite Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable, that she won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress on February 29, 1940, making her the first African American performer to win an Oscar. Also notably, she was the first African American to attend the Oscars as a guest. When the date of the Atlanta premiere of Gone with the Wind approached, she informed director Victor Fleming that she was unable to attend due to illness; in actuality, she did not want to attend because of the racism that pervaded Southern society at that time, for fear of increasing racial hostilities. When Clark Gable heard that McDaniel did not want to attend because of the racial issue, he threatened to boycott the premiere unless McDaniel was able to attend; he later relented when McDaniel convinced him to go.

The competition for the role of Mammy had been almost as stiff as that for Scarlett O'Hara. Eleanor Roosevelt wrote to film producer David O. Selznick to ask that her own maid be given the part. McDaniel did not think she would be chosen, because she was known for being a comic actress. Clark Gable wanted the role to go to McDaniel, and when she went to her audition dressed in an authentic maid's uniform, Selznick knew he had found Mammy.

Hattie's first major roles came in 1935 with her classic performance in Alice Adams and China Seas, the latter her first film with Gable. She also had major roles in Saratoga and The Mad Miss Manton prior to the release of Gone With the Wind. Her performance in 1942's In This Our Life is well remembered for her movingly dramatic turn as a black housewife whose son is framed in a hit-and-run accident.

As the 1940's progressed, the servant roles McDaniel and other African-American performers had so frequently played were subjected to increasingly strong criticism by groups such as the NAACP. By the end of the decade, she was no longer receiving film roles, and became the first major African-American radio star with her comedy series Beulah. She became a further trailblazer on the television version of Beulah in 1952, taking over for Ethel Waters after the first season. She became ill during the show's run and was replaced by Louise Beavers.

Hattie McDaniel has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Hollywood: one for her contributions to radio at 6933 Hollywood Boulevard, and one for motion pictures at 1719 Vine Street. McDaniel was featured as the 29th inductee on the Black Heritage Series by the United States Postal Service. The 39-cent stamp was released on January 29, 2006. [2].

Marriages and Offcamera Activities

While McDaniel often played support in her films, she had a colorful personal life. She was married four times, George Langford (1922; he was shot and killed soon after their wedding), Howard Hickman (1938), James Lloyd Crawford (1941-1945), and Larry Williams (1949-1950). Her last three marriages ended in divorce. When she died, she left Williams one dollar.

In 1945, McDaniel happily informed gossip columnist Hedda Hopper that she was pregnant. McDaniel began buying baby clothes and setting up a nursery. Her plans were shattered when the doctor informed her she had a false pregnancy; McDaniel fell into a depression.

McDaniel was active in raising money for the troops during World War II.

Death

McDaniel died at age fifty-seven in the hospital on the grounds of the Motion Picture House in Woodland Hills; her estate amounted to less than ten thousand dollars. Thousands of mourners turned out to remember her life and accomplishments. It was her wish to be buried in the Hollywood Cemetery on Santa Monica Boulevard in Hollywood, along with her fellow movie stars, but the owner, Jules 'Jack' Roth, refused to allow her to be interred there because she was black. She is interred in Angelus Rosedale Cemetery, Los Angeles. In 1999, Tyler Cassity, the new owner of the Hollywood Cemetery, who had renamed it Hollywood Forever Cemetery; wanted to right the wrong and have Miss McDaniel interred in the cemetery. Her family did not want to disturb her remains after the passage of so much time, and declined the offer. Hollywood Forever then did the next best thing and built a large cenotaph memorial on the lawn overlooking the lake in honor of McDaniel. It is one of the most popular sites for visitors to the cemetery.

McDaniel was also a member of Sigma Gamma Rho, one of four African-American Greek letter sororities in the United States.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:49 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:54 am
Elizabeth Hurley
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elizabeth HurleyElizabeth Jane Hurley (born 10 June 1965) is an English actress, model, producer and designer.

Biography

Early life

Hurley was born in Hampshire, England. Her father, who was of Irish Catholic descent,[1] was an army major, while her mother was a schoolteacher. She has an older sister, Katie, and a younger brother, Michael. Hurley took ballet classes as a child and at the age of twelve, received a scholarship at a boarding school, although she was subsequently expelled for poor grades. Hurley later attended the London Studio Centre and Basingstoke College.

Career

Hurley won a "Face of the Year" competition at a local newspaper, and gained a year's modelling contract with a prestigious London firm as the first prize.[2] She subsequently began an acting career, appearing in several BBC made-for-television films, after making her acting debut in 1988's independent film, Aria. Hurley's first role in a Hollywood film was in 1992's thriller Passenger 57, in which she played one of a group of villains who take over a plane. Hurley also came to public attention following her wearing of a form-fitting black Versace at the premiere of 1994's Four Weddings and a Funeral, a film that starred her then-companion Hugh Grant.

Beginning in 1995 Hurley began working exclusively for Estée Lauder as the company's sole model, launching the perfume Pleasure in her first month with the company. She has also appeared on the covers of several publications, including Vogue (seven times), Elle (four times), Harper's Bazaar (six times) and Marie Claire (three times). After several appearances in low-budget films, she was cast as the love interest of the title character in 1997's successful comedy Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. Hurley subsequently starred in several high-profile films, including EdTV, Bedazzled and 2002's Serving Sara, which was her last major American film to date. Hurley has also produced two films starring Hugh Grant, Extreme Measures (1996) and Mickey Blue Eyes (1999), under their jointly owned Simian production company. Additionally, she executive produced the 2004 film, Method.

In 2001, Hurley's position at Estée Lauder was downsized, with the arrival of model Carolyn Murphy. In 2003, model Liya Kebede also joined the company, creating a trio of 'faces' at the brand. In late 2005, after ten years as the face of Pleasures, Hurley was replaced by actress Gwyneth Paltrow. In 2006, Hurley was announced as the face of Estée Lauder's ReNutriv Skin Care Line, with a contract extension for another three years. In addition, she has a lipstick named after her, Elizabeth Pink, the profits of which go to the Estee Lauder Breast Cancer Foundation.

In April 2005 her beachwear line Elizabeth Hurley Beach debuted in select Saks Fifth Avenue stores in the United States, Harrod's in the UK, various other locations worldwide and through her website. In 2006, the line expanded its distribution among Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Hurley also fronted the spring 2006 campaign for shoe designer Patrick Cox, and was unveiled as the face of French accessory house Lancel.

The Daily Mail 2004 Rich List put her fortune at an estimated £17 million.

Personal life

Hurley had a long relationship with English actor Hugh Grant. Since the couple's break-up, Hurley has been linked with multi-millionaire American film producer Stephen Bing and American multimillionaire Ted Forstmann, but she is now engaged to Arun Nayar, son of a Bombay textile millionaire, whom she has been seeing since 2003 and who obtained a divorce from his Italian wife, Valentina Pedroni, in early 2005.

On 4 April 2002, Hurley gave birth to a son, Damian Charles Hurley, fathered by Bing, who initially denied paternity. DNA tests confirmed that he was the father, although it is not clear if Damian's surname will be changed. Damian was baptised a Roman Catholic, although Hurley herself has not yet been received into the Roman Catholic church despite publicly contemplating it for a number of years.

Hurley revealed that her grandmother died from breast cancer because her grandmother refused to reveal the lump that she discovered for a number of years. By the time that it was revealed, it was too late to save her life. Hurley was the Mistress of Ceremonies at The Hot Pink Party, at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York City, to mark the tenth anniversary of The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.[3]

Hurley has homes in London; in Ampney Crucis, a village in Gloucestershire, England; and in Beverly Hills, California.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 06:00 am
She told me we couldn't afford beer anymore and I'd have to quit.

Then I caught her spendi ng $65.00 on make-up.

I asked how come I had to give up stuff and not her.

She said she needed the make-up to look pretty for me.

I told her that was what the beer was for.

I don't think she's coming back
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 06:12 am
Well, Boston Bob, once again we know that you have completed your info on the celebs when you leave us with a smile. Thanks again, buddy.

Poor Judy. How unfair that everything has to be based on competition in Hollywood, and that a face and figure is so important to the viewing audience.

Great info on Hattie McDaniels, hawkman. I understand her family's not wanting her to be relocated, but at least she has a cenotaph to honor her.

(never heard the word cenotaph before)

We do appreciate all the facts that you reveal to us about stars that we thought that we knew.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 06:49 am
on the left coast this morning, it's misty

Look at me, I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree,
And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud, I can't understand,
I get misty, just holding your hand.

Walk my way, and a thousand violins begin to play,
Or it might be the sound of your hello, that music I hear,
I get misty, the moment you're near.

You can say that you're leading me on,
But it's just what I want you to do,
Don't you notice how hopelessly I'm lost,
That's why I'm following you.

On my own, I would wander through this wonderland alone,
Never knowing my right foot from my left, my hat from my glove,
I'm too misty, and too much in love.
I'm too misty, and too much in love.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 07:10 am
Hey, Mr. Turtle. Play Misty for Me. Remember that Clint movie? Thanks, lefty.<smile>

Well, folks, most of us know Errol Garner played that tune and I don't think he could read one note of music.

Have been searching for Hattie songs, and found the old Showboat, but the only credit given to her was, "Can't Help Lovin' that Man of Mine." Even that one was sung in conjunction with others:

Fish got to swim, birds got to fly
I got to love one man 'til I die
Can't help loving that man of mine
Maybe he's lazy, maybe he's slow
Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I know
Can't help loving that man of mine
And when he's away
That's a rainy day
But when he's back
The day is fine, the sun will shine
He can stay out as late as can be
Home without him ain't no home for me
Can't help loving that man,
That good for nothin' man of mine.

Great song.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 07:20 am
And a hearty good morning to letty-betty, It's now 7:16 in the a.m. I have been sitting in the garden with my cuppa tea and the sun is rising, the birds are busy and last evening the Lady Diane discovered a hummingbird nest in our Ash tree in the front yard. Delighted we are. I insist all of our wa2k friends have a wonderfull day. (even our old europe friends)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 07:28 am
Good morning, dys. Ah, I remember having those beautiful little birds that hum and dart and poke their heads in flowers. Sweeter than the nectar that they gather, is the color of their tiny bodies.

Hummingbird Pauses at the Trumpet Vine

Who doesn't love
roses, and who
doesn't love the lilies
of the black ponds

floating like flocks
of tiny swans,
and of course, the flaming
trumpet vine

where the hummingbird comes
like a small green angel, to soak
his dark tongue
in happiness -

and who doesn't want
to live with the brisk
motor of his heart
singing

like a Schubert
and his eyes
working and working like those days of rapture,
by Van Gogh in Arles?

Look! for most of the world
is waiting
or remembering -
most of the world is time

when we're not here,
not born yet, or died -
a slow fire
under the earth with all
our dumb wild blind cousins
who also
can't even remember anymore
their own happiness -

Look! and then we will be
like the pale cool
stones, that last almost
forever.

Mary Oliver
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 07:31 am
dyslexia wrote:
I insist all of our wa2k friends have a wonderfull day. (even our old europe friends)

That insistance honors you but I'm already having a wonderfull day (I don't know why but that's the way it is...)
0 Replies