WA2K Radio is now on the air

Tryagain

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 05:33 pm
Bennie And The Jets

As recorded by Elton John

Hey kids shake it lose together
The spotlight's hitting something that's been known to change the weather
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight so stick around
You're gonna hear electric music, solid walls of sound.

Say Candy and Ronnie have you seen them yet, oo but they're so spaced out
B-b-b-Bennie and the Jets
Oh but they're weird and wonderful, oh Bennie she's really keen
She's got electric boots, a mohair suit, you know I read it in a magazine, oh
B-b-b-Bennie and the Jets.

Hey kids plug into the faithless maybe they're blinded
But Bennie makes them ageless
We shall survive let us take ourselves along
Where we fight our parents out in the streets to find out who's right and who's wrong.

Oh Candy and Ronnie have you seen them yet, oh but they're so spaced out

Oh Candy and Ronnie have you seen them yet, oh but they're so spaced out
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 05:46 pm
You know, folks, I noticed that ehBeth was listening to Ian and Sylvia's Four Strong Winds, and when I searched it out, found Jim Ed Brown had done that as well.

What a surprise to find this song with an alternate French title.

Jim Ed Brown
Lyrics for Song: Three Bells (Les Trois Cloches)

There's a village hidden deep in the valley among the pine trees half forlorn
And there on a sunny morning little Jimmy Brown was born
All the chapel bells were ringing in the little valley town
And the songs that they were singing was for baby Jimmy Brown
And the little congregation prayed for guidance from above
Lead us not into temptation bless this hour of meditation guide him with eternal love
There's a village hidden deep in the valley beneath the mountains high above
And there twenty years thereafter Jimmy was to meet his love
All the chapel bells were ringing twas a great day in his life
For the songs that they were singing was for Jimmy and his wife
Lead us not into temptation bless oh Lord this celebration
May their lives be filled with love
From the village hidden deep in the valley one rainy morning dark and grey
A soul which wait in the heaven Jimmy Brown had passed away
Just the lonely bell was ringing in the little valley town
Twas there well it was singing to our good old Jommy Brown
Lead us not into temptation may his soul find this salvation of Thy great eternal love.

Love it!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 06:31 pm
Letty wrote:
Wow, dj. Was joaquin good in it?

yes he was very convincing, and reese witherspoon was fantastic as june carter, see it if you get the chance
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 06:41 pm
Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me
(As recorded by Gladys Knight & The Pips)

I've had my share of life's ups and downs
But fate's been kind, the downs have been few
I guess you could say that I've been lucky
And I guess you could say it's all because of you.

If anyone should ever write my life story
For whatever reason there might be
You'd be there between each line of pain and glory
'Cause you're the best thing that ever happened to me
You're the best thing that ever happened to me.

Lord there have been times when times were hard
But always somehow I made it through
'Cause for ev'ry moment I've spent hurting
There was a moment spent loving you.

If anyone should ever write my life story
For whatever reason there might be
You'd be there between each line of pain and glory
'Cause you're the best thing that ever happened to me
You're the best thing that ever happened to me.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 07:22 pm
Why, thank you, Try. I'm the best thing that ever happened to me as well. Big smile.

dj, and all, I saw some clips of Joaquin doing some of the Cash stuff, but he sounded a little bored to me. I adore the man and feel he should have won an award for his part in Gladiator.

Wow, listeners, I have just discovered that I am bit tired after stuffing myself with crab cakes and fresh apricots.

What better way to say goodnight than with a little Irish humor.

Three Irishmen, Paddy, Sean and Seamus, were stumbling home from the pub
late one night and found themselves on the road which led past the old
graveyard.

"Come have a look over here," says Paddy, "It's Michael O'Grady's grave,
God bless his soul. He lived to the ripe old age of 87."

"That's nothing", says Sean, "here's one named Patrick O'Tool, it says
here that he was 95 when he died."

Just then, Seamus yells out, "Good God, here's a fella that got to be
145!"

"What was his name?" asks Paddy.

Seamus stumbles around a bit, awkwardly lights a match to see what else
is written on the stone marker, and exclaims, "Miles, from Dublin.

Thanks to my Irish friend for that laugh.

From Letty with much love
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 08:20 pm
here is an old english folk song - not a particularly cheerful one .
seems that the soldier is always at the bottom of the totem pole .
hbg

You Madcaps of England
----------------------------
You mad caps of England who merry would make,
And for your brave valour would pains undertake,
Come over to Flanders and there you shall see,
How merry we'll make it, how frolic we'll be.

If you've been a citizen broke by mischance,
And would by your courage your credit advance,
Here's stuff to be won by venturing your life,
So you leave at home a good friend by your wife.

But if upon wenches you've spent all your means,
And still your mind runs upon whores and queans,
Here's wenches enow that with you will go,
From leaguer to leaguer, in spite of your foe.

Your serjeants and officers are very kind,
If that you can flatter and speak to their mind,
They will free you from duty and all other trouble,
Your money being gone, your duty comes DOUBLE!

As soon as you've come to your enemies' land,
Where fat goose and capon you have at command,
Sing take them or eat them or let them alone,
Sing go out and fetch them or else you get none.

And when you break an arm, or a leg,
You shall have your pass thro' the country to beg.
Your officer promises you some other pay,
But the soldier ne'er gets it, no, not 'till DOOMS-DAY!

At last when you've come to your enemies' walls,
Where many a brave gallant and gentleman falls,
And when you have done the best that you can,
Your captain rewards you, "There dies a brave man!"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 09:11 pm
If Not For You
Bob Dylan © 1970, 1985

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If not for you
Babe i couldn't find the door
Couldn't even see the floor
I'd be sad an' blue
If not for you.

If not for you
Babe i'd lay awake all night
Wait for the mornin' light
To shine in thru
But it would not be new
If not for you.

If not for you
My sky would fall
Rain would gather too
Without your love
I'd be nowhere at all
I'd be lost
If not for you
An' you know it's true.

If not for you
My sky would fall
Rain would gather too
Without your love
I'd be nowhere at all
I'd be lost
If not for you.

If not for you
Winter would have no spring
Couldn't hear the robins sing
I just wouldn't have a clue
Anyway it wouldn't ring true
If not for you
If not for you.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 04:38 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 04:41 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 04:46 am
Carroll Baker
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carroll Baker (born May 28, 1931) is an American actress. She is known for her famous platinum blonde hair, although her natural hair color is dark brown.

Baker was born in Johnstown, Pennsylvania to Virginia and William Baker, a traveling salesman.[1] She began her film career in 1953, with a small part in Easy to Love. After appearing in television commercials, her big break came in 1956, when she not only appeared in the big feature Giant, but starred in Baby Doll, for which she was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress.

In 1964 she starred in The Carpetbaggers, and in 1965 in Harlow. Afterwards, she moved to Europe, where she appeared in several films in Italy, Spain, Germany and the United Kingdom, as well as in Mexico.

An apocryphal story has it that a Masai chief offered 150 cows, 200 goats, sheep, and $750 for her while she was on location in Africa for the 1965 movie Mister Moses.

She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1719 Vine Street. She converted to Judaism when she married director Jack Garfein.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 04:56 am
Gladys Knight
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The cover to Gladys Knight's 2001 album At Last.Gladys Maria Knight (born May 28, 1944 in Atlanta, Georgia) is a legendary American R&B/soul singer and actress. She is best known for the hits she recorded during the 1960s and 1970s, for both the Motown and Buddah Records labels, with her group Gladys Knight & the Pips, the most famous incarnation of which also included her brother Merald "Bubba" Knight and her cousins Edward Patten and William Guest.

Biography

Gladys Knight & the Pips

Gladys Knight was born to Merald Woodlow Knight and Sarah Elizabeth Woods. She first zoomed to minor fame by winning Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour TV show contest at the age of 7 in 1952, due to her powerful singing voice. The following year, she, her brother Merald, sister Brenda, and cousins William and Elenor Guest formed a musical group called The Pips. By the end of the decade, the act had begun to tour, and had replaced Brenda Knight and Elenor Guest with Gladys Knight's cousins William Guest and Langston George.

Gladys Knight discovered she was pregnant in 1960, and married her boyfriend Jimmy Newman. After a miscarriage, Knight returned to performing with the Pips. In 1961, Bobby Robinson produced the single "Every Beat of My Heart" for the group, which became a #1 R&B and #6 pop hit when released on Vee-Jay Records. In 1962, Langston George left the group, which at that time renamed itself Gladys Knight & the Pips and continued as a quartet.

In 1962, after scoring a second hit, "Letter Full of Tears", Knight became pregnant again, and gave birth to a son, Jimmy, Jr., that year. She retired from the road to raise a family, and The Pips toured on their own. After giving birth to a daughter, Kenya, in 1964, Knight was forced to return to recording and the Pips in order to support her family.

Gladys Knight & the Pips joined the Motown roster in 1966, and, although regarded as a second-string act, scored several hit singles, including "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" (1967), "The Nitty Gritty" (1969),"Friendship Train" (1969), "If I Were Your Woman" (1970), "I Don't Want To Do Wrong" (1971), the Grammy winner "Neither One of Us (Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye)" (1972), and "Daddy Could Swear (I Declare)" (1973).

The act left Motown for a better deal with Buddah Records in 1973, and achieved full-fledged success that year with hits such as the Grammy-winning "Midnight Train to Georgia" (their only #1 pop hit), "I've Got to Use My Imagination", and "The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me".

During this period of greater recognition, Gladys Knight made her motion picture acting debut in the film "Pipe Dreams," a romantic drama set in Alaska. The film failed at the box-office, but Knight did receive a Golden Globes Best New Actress nomination.

Knight and the Pips continued to have hits until the late 1970s, when they were forced to record separately due to legal issues, resulting in Knight's first solo LP recordings--Miss Gladys Knight (1978) on Buddah and Gladys Knight (1979) on Columbia. During this period, Knight divorced Jimmy Newman, and in 1976 married record producer Barry Hankerson (future uncle of R&B singer Aaliyah). Knight and Hankerson remained married for three years, during which time they had a son, Shanga Ali. Upon their divorce, Hankerson and Knight had a heated custody battle over Shanga Ali.

After a dry spell, they returned to the charts in the 1980s with the #1 R&B hits "Save the Overtime (For Me)" (1983) and another Grammy winner--"Love Overboard" (1987). During this period, Knight became addicted to gambling and the game baccarat. She finally called Gamblers Anonymous when she lost $45,000 in one night and was near bankruptcy.

After a successful 1988 tour, the Pips retired and Gladys Knight began a career as a solo artist. Gladys Knight & the Pips were later inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996.

Solo career

While still with The Pips, Knight also joined with Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder, and Elton John on the 1986 AIDS benefit single, "That's What Friends Are For" which won a Grammy for Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal. In 1989, Gladys Knight recorded the title track for the James Bond movie License to Kill, a top 10 hit in the UK.

Knight made guest-starring television appearances throughout the eighties and nineties with roles on Benson, The Jeffersons, Living Single, The Jamie Foxx Show and New York Undercover. In 1985 she co-starred on the CBS sitcom Charlie and Co. with comedian Flip Wilson. It lasted for one season.

Gladys Knight's third solo LP, Good Woman, was released in 1991. It rose to #1 on the R&B album chart and featured the #2 R&B hit "Men". Her fourth solo LP, Just for You, went gold and was nominated for the 1995 Grammy Award for Best R&B Album. During this period, Knight was briefly married to motivational speaker Les Brown.

In 1995 Knight was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame in Los Angeles.

Knight joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1997. She has occasionally teased the LDS Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, that his flock needs to inject some "pep" into their music. Ms. Knight created and now directs the LDS (Mormon) choir Saints Unified Voices [1]. SUV has released a Grammy Award-winning CD entitled One Voice, and occasionally performs at LDS stake firesides.

Knight's 2001 LP, At Last, won the 2002 Grammy Award for Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance.

From February 2002 until November 2005, Gladys Knight performed five nights per week as headliner of her own showroom at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. The show was voted Best Show on the Las Vegas Strip in 2003 by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Following a turn as a celebrity guest-judge on the popular TV talent show American Idol, Knight served as one of three regular judges on the spin-off American Juniors for the Fox television network in 2004.

In 2005 Knight won a Grammy for Best Gospel Performance for "Heaven Help Us All," her duet with Ray Charles, taken from Charles' album, Genius Loves Company. She was also among the 25 African-American women honored for their accomplishments and influence by daytime television star Oprah Winfrey at a "Legends Ball." In that same year Knight was the recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award from the BET cable network.

In 2006 Knight won her seventh Grammy award in the category of Best Gospel Choir or Gospel Chorus for the "One Voice" CD with the Saints Unified Voices

Gladys Knight is ranked number eighteen in the 2005 Guinness Book of World Records' list of the most successful female musical artists of all time.

The Best Thing(That Ever Happened To Me) :: Gladys Knight

I've had my share,
Of life's ups and downs,
but fates been kind,
the downs have been few,

I guess you could say,
I've been lucky,
Or I guess you could say,
That it's all because of you.

If anyone, should ever write, my life story,
for whatever reason there might be,
you'd be there,
between each line of pain and glory,
cos your the best thing that ever happened to me,
Oh your the best thing that ever happened to me.

There have been times,
when times were hard,
but always somehow I made it, I made it through,
But for every moment that I've been hurtin',
there's been a moment, that I've spent.....
Oh just loving you,

If anyone should ever write my life story,
for whatever, for whatever reason there might be,
you'd be there, between each line of pain and glory,
Cos your the best thing that ever happened to me,
Oh your the best thing that ever happened to me,
don't you know, your the best thing....
Oh that ever happened,
to me.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 05:02 am
A scroungy dirty lookin guy goes into a bar and orders a drink. The bartender says
"No chance. I don't think you can pay for it."
The guy says "You're right. I don't have any money, but if I show you something you haven't
seen before, will you give me a drink?" The bartender says "Only if what you show me ain't risque."
"Deal!" says the guy, as he reaches into his coat pocket and pulls out a hamster. He puts the
hamster on the bar and it runs to the end of the bar, down a barstool, across the room, up to the
piano and starts playing Elton John songs. And the hamster is really good.
The bartender says, "You're right. I've never seen anything like that before. That hamster is truly great on the piano."
The guy downs the drink and asks the bartender for another. "Money or another miracle else no drink,"
says the bartender. The guy reaches into his coat again and pulls out a frog. He puts the frog on the
bar, and the frog starts to sing Michael Bolton numbers. He has a superb voice and great pitch. A
stranger from the other end of the bar runs over to the guy and offers him $400 for the frog.
The guy says "It's a deal." He takes the 400 bux and hands the frog to the stranger, who runs out
of the bar with it. The bartender says to the guy, "Are you nuts???! You sold a singing frog for $400?
It must have been worth millions. You must be crazy!"
"Not so," says the guy. "The hamster is also a ventriloquist!"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 06:13 am
Good morning, WA2K radio fans and contributors.

First, allow me to thank our hamburger for the song that so obviously explains a rather sad tribute to the fallen soldier. "Here lies a brave man."
I am certain that his family took great comfort in that. Also, my Canadian friend, the penguin pixes were adorable.

edgar, we all love your Dylan music. Thanks, Texas.

Well, folks, our hawkman is up early today. We do appreciate all the celeb background, Boston, and your delightful story about the hamster and the frog reminds us what a man will do for a drink and a buck. Nice to start the day with a smile.

The saddest story in the world is the story of Jim Thorpe. The injustice that was done that man can never be rectified. He is rather like the soldier on the field in Flanders.

Well, let's hear a song for Ian Fleming since our Bob has already done Gladys.

Paul McCartney
» Live And Let Die

"LIVE AND LET DIE"
Words and Music by Paul McCartney
When you were young and your heart was an open book,
You used to say live and let live.
(You know you did, you know you did, you know you did.)
But if this ever changing world in which we live in
makes you give it a cry, say Live and Let Die!
Live and Let Die, Live and Let Die, Live and Let Die
What does it matter to ya,
when you got a job to do, you gotta do it well
You gotta give the other fellow Hell!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:46 am
I just posted this on my thread, Tears of Rage. But it's so powerful, I want others to hear it too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blind Willie McTell
Bob Dylan

Seen the arrow on the doorpost, sayin', "This land is condemned.''
All the way from New Orleans to Jerusalem.
I travelled thru East Texas where many martyrs fell
An' i know no one can sing the blues like Blind Willie McTell.

Well, i heard that hoot-owl singin' as they were takin' down the tents
The stars above the barren trees was his only audience.
Them charcoal gypsy maidens can strut their feathers well
But nobody can sing the blues like Blind Willie McTell.

See them big plantations burnin', hear the crackin' of the whips
Smell that sweet magnolias bloomin', see the ghost of slavery ships
I can hear them tribes a-moanin', hear that undertaker's bell
Nobody can sing the blues like Blind Willie McTell.

There's a woman by the river with some fine young handsome man
He's dressed up like a squire, bootleg whiskey in his hand
There's a chain gang on the highway, i can hear them rebels yell
An' i know no one can sing the blues like Blind Willie McTell.

Well, god is in his heaven an' we all want what's his
But power an' greed an' corruptible seed seem to be all that there is
I'm gazin' out the window of the St. James hotel
But i know no one can sing the blues like Blind Willie McTell.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 07:58 am
Good morning, edgar. Yes, Texas, that is a powerful song. Odd how Bob can cover history in so few verses. Thanks for reminding us.

Well, folks, speaking of history, I watched Hallmark last evening about the curse of King Tut, and did they ever play fast and loose with stuff. I really was hoping to see further exploration of the young king, and instead I witnessed the supernatural. It was a good presentation, and the ending was wry, but the personification of evil was a mite unbelievable.

Bangles
Walk Like An Egyptian

All the old paintings on the tomb
They do the sand dance, don'cha know?
If they move too quick (Oh-Way-Oh)
They're falling down like a domino

And the bazaar man by the Nile
He got the money on a bet
For the crocodiles (Oh-Way-Oh)
They snap their teeth on a cigarette

Foreign types with their hookah pipes sing:
Way-oh-way-oh-way-ooo-aaa-ooo...
Walk like an Egyptian.

The blonde waitresses take their trays
Spin around and they cross the floor.
They've got the moves (Oh-Way-Oh)
You drop your drink then they bring you more

All the school kids so sick of books
They like the punk and the metal band
When the buzzer rings (Oh-Way-Oh)
They're walking like an Egyptian

All the kids in the marketplace say:
Walk like an Egyptian.

Line your feet astreet, bend your back,
Shift your arm, then you pull a clock
Like Sergeant O (Oh-Way-Oh)
So strike a pose on a Cadillac

If you want to find all the cops,
They're hanging out in the donut shop.
They sing and dance (Oh-Way-Oh)
They spin their clock and cruise on down the block

All the Japanese with their Yen
The party boys call the Kremlin
The Chinese know (Oh-Way-Oh)
They walk along like Egyptians

All the cops in the donut shops say:
Walk like an Egyptian
Walk like an Egyptian

Ah, the fad songs, folks
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:32 am
Forty years back ...

On our block all of the guys call her flamingo
Cause her hair glows like the sun
And her eyes can light the sky
When she moves she walks so fine like a flamingo
Crimson dress that clings so tight
She's out of reach and out of sight

When she walks by she brightens up the neighbourhood
Oh every guy would make her his if he just could
If she just would

Some sweet day I'll make her mine, pretty flamingo
Then every guy will envy me
Cause paradise is where I'll be

Pretty flamingo, pretty flamingo

When she walks by she brightens up the neighbourhood
Oh every guy would make her his if he just could,
If she just would

Some sweet day I'll make her mine, pretty flamingo
Then every guy will envy me
Cause paradise is where I'll be

(Sha la la, la la la la pretty flamingo)
Some day I?ll make her mine,
(Sha la la, la la la la pretty flamingo)
Yes I will, yes I will, make her mine
(Sha la la . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:57 am
http://www.theoceanadventure.com/VIie02/images/flamfly.JPG
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:28 am
Good morning folks. Is it just me or is it getting hot in here?

Burning Love

As recorded by Elvis Presley

Lord almighty, I feel my temperature rising, hmm
Higher, higher, it's burning through to my soul, hmm
Girl, girl, girl, girl, you've gone and set me on fire, hmm
My brain is flamin', I don't know which way to go, yeah.

Your kisses lift me higher
Like the sweet song of a choir
You light my morning sky
With burning love, hmm.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, I feel my temperature rising
Help me I'm flamin', I must be a hundred and nine
Burning, burning, burning, and nothing can cool me, yeah
I just might turn to smoke, but I feel fine, hmm.

'Cause your kisses lift me higher
And you light my morning sky
Burning love.

(Ah, ah, ah, with burning love.)

It's coming closer, the flames are now lickin' my body
Won't you help me, I feel like I'm slippin' away, yeah
It's hard to breathe, my chest is a-heavin', hmm, hmm
Lord have mercy, I'm burning a whole where I lay, yeah.

Your kisses lift me higher
And you light my morning sky
With burning love
With burning love.

I'm just a hunk-a, hunk-a burning love
I'm just a hunk-a, hunk-a burning love
A hunk-a, hunk-a burning love
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 09:49 am
Good day, WA2K.

http://www.alohacriticon.com/images/elcriticonfotos/carrollbaker.jpghttp://www.justsoul.net/artists/images/gladysknight1.jpghttp://www.bakerstreetdozen.com/fleming.gif
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 10:13 am
Good morning, Try and Raggedy. Well, I do know that Elvis hunk, buddy<smile>

Let's see PA, I had to check the properties on Ian Fleming. I believe it was edgar who confessed that he had never seen a James Bond movie nor read one of the books. Thanks once again for the photo's, my friend.

Well, folks, let's hope that our tin swordsman is just away for a few days, and I am a wee bit concerned about Hamal. George hasn't been spoted on our radar, and although Walter represented Europe, we would like to see more of our friends across the pond.

and where IS our Mr. Turtle?

For our MIA's

Lyrics to Pearl Jam Come Back

If we keep holding out
Will the light shine through?
Under this broken roof
It's only rain that we feel
We've been wishin' out the days
Oh oh oh
Come back

It's ok, it's ok

We'll be here