SAFE MODE

ezrider

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:20 pm
I was trying to troubleshoot a chronic browser problem that I had, by booting into: Windows SAFE MODE. Well it now seems, that I have problems getting into SAFE MODE as well. Of course I did the usual 'F8' during normal XP boot up, and then a list options appeared, which of cousre I selected 'Safe Mode' Then if this sounds 'normal' A choice of operating systems appeared, which of course I have only one, and the code for XP I guess said Whisler Professional, so I chose that.......and then all whole page of DOS lines appeared, of which I COULD NOT EXIT of out, except by SHUTTING down the puter. Does anyone have any idea, any clue about getting around something like this Question Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,158 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Cyanure

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:25 pm
It's normal to have a DOS page. It lists the drivers disabled.
You'll have a long list, then you computer will freeze for 2 minutes then it will boot into safe mode.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 07:57 am
By the way, you should not see "Whistler Professional" listed as your only OS -- it should say "Windows XP Professional". Sounds like you have a beta (or unfinished) copy of Windows running.
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:41 pm
Well this has been quite an eye opener. Shocked @Cyanure: You were right, it did eventually boot into Safe Mode after about a few minutes.
@Monger: Actually, it said 'Whisler Personal' at first, but then subsequently it said Windows XP Build-26

HOWEVER, I once again came upon something totally unexpected: Just WHAT is the reason and purpose of assigning a security user and password settings for logging into Windows.....when it can be bypassed completely by booting into SAFE MODE Question Shocked
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:34 am
Windows XP has a built-in administrator account that can only be seen in Safe Mode. If your account is the built-in administrator then you'll need the password to access. But 90% of cases, people have an administrator account different from the built-in one and I find it useful when you forget your password. You log using the built-in account and reset your password again.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:28 am
ezrider wrote:
Well this has been quite an eye opener. Shocked @Cyanure: You were right, it did eventually boot into Safe Mode after about a few minutes.
@Monger: Actually, it said 'Whisler Personal' at first, but then subsequently it said Windows XP Build-26

HOWEVER, I once again came upon something totally unexpected: Just WHAT is the reason and purpose of assigning a security user and password settings for logging into Windows.....when it can be bypassed completely by booting into SAFE MODE Question Shocked

That's not the case -- if you're using NTFS partitions you cannot bypass NTFS security by simply entering Safe Mode or the Recovery Console.

However, two products I use which do bypass it are ERD Commander (which allows you to change a user account's password, among other things, after booting from a CD) & NTFSDOS Pro (which gives you full read/write NTFS access in DOS).

For the record, official final releases of WinXP are not shown as Whistler Personal or Windows XP-Build 26. You have either a prerelease or cracked copy of Windows.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:35 am
Cyanure wrote:
Windows XP has a built-in administrator account that can only be seen in Safe Mode.

The built-in Administrator account is only hidden in WinXP Home Edition (not Pro Edition).

Even in WinXP Home, however, there's no need to boot in Safe Mode to log in to the Administrator account. For people with Fast User Switching enabled, at the Welcome screen simply press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice & you'll be given the classic login screen which allows you to type in what account you wish to login to.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:04 pm
Quote:
That's not the case -- if you're using NTFS partitions you cannot bypass NTFS security by simply entering Safe Mode or the Recovery Console.

Monger, try to boot with a W2K CD and get into Recovery Console, then the Windows XP is at your hand with no need for password even on NTFS partition.

Quote:
The built-in Administrator account is only hidden in WinXP Home Edition (not Pro Edition).

I have the Pro edition and I can only see the built-in account in Safe Mode. Even if I switch user I only see my account = Cyanure. Confused Question
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:36 pm
Quote:
For the record, official final releases of WinXP are not shown as Whistler Personal or Windows XP-Build 26. You have either a prerelease or cracked copy of Windows.

Quote:
Q: Has the final version of Windows XP been released?
A: Yes, Windows XP was released to manufacturing (RTM) on Friday, August 24, 2001.

Q: What's the final version number?
A: 5.10.2600

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/whistler.asp

@Monger: Well, as you can see according to the above website, the final XP build version WAS 26.....and the HP Pavillion that I have was purchased in 2002. Now why would Hewlet Packard of all people would want to SCREW me with a 'cracked' version of Windows Question Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:36 am
Cyanure wrote:
Quote:
Monger, try to boot with a W2K CD and get into Recovery Console, then the Windows XP is at your hand with no need for password even on NTFS partition.

I have done this a great number of times, Cynaure, and just confirmed the result again -- that is that neither booting into Safe Mode nor booting into the Recovery Console (off a WinXP CD or otherwise) will allow you to login to a WinXP PC which has its boot & system partition formatted using NTFS. In fact, the Recovery Console won't even let you login using a different account with administrative priviliges -- you must use the Administrator account.

The most likely reason for the results you're getting is that you do not have an NTFS boot or system partition, or that your Administrator password is blank & you're assuming it's just letting you through.

Cyanure wrote:
Quote:
I have the Pro edition and I can only see the built-in account in Safe Mode. Even if I switch user I only see my account = Cyanure. Confused Question

This point you are likely correct on if you do not modify the default Windows settings...the PC I'm typing this from is a domain member so I'm not able to enable Fast User Switching to test it, but regardless you can use the press-Ctrl+Alt+Del-twice-at-the-Welcome-screen method I mentioned earlier to login as Administrator without having to boot in Safe Mode (or just turn the Welcome screen off from the Control Panel).

Edit: fixed quotes.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:01 am
ezrider wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Q: Has the final version of Windows XP been released?
A: Yes, Windows XP was released to manufacturing (RTM) on Friday, August 24, 2001.

Q: What's the final version number?
A: 5.10.2600

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/whistler.asp

@Monger: Well, as you can see according to the above website, the final XP build version WAS 26.....and the HP Pavillion that I have was purchased in 2002. Now why would Hewlet Packard of all people would want to SCREW me with a 'cracked' version of Windows Question Rolling Eyes

OK dude, if it was really supplied by HP (and not, e.g., a refurbished HP system on Ebay) I will agree with you that it is very very likely the real deal. However, the official, final Windows XP product in every form I've seen it (other than cracked copies) does not mention "Build 26" & certainly not any form of "Whistler" as the OS name during boot (what you're seeing is merely text in your boot.ini file which can easily be edited using Notepad.

What likely happened is that HP or some software you've run at some point modified your boot.ini file.

As I mentioned previously though, I have seen cracked copies of Windows which mentioned Build 26 as part of the OS name in boot.ini (it was their way of showing that you have a "final" version). I'm no longer suggesting you're sporting a cracked copy...just giving reason for my earlier assumption.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:13 am
Cyanure wrote:
It's normal to have a DOS page. It lists the drivers disabled.
You'll have a long list, then you computer will freeze for 2 minutes then it will boot into safe mode.

For the sake of technical accuracy for those who find this through searches & such, I'll mention that this is incorrect.

The list of drivers shown after initiating a Safe Mode boot are drivers Windows is attempting to load -- not disable. If one or more drivers fail during this process, however, it may prompt you to press Esc to cancel loading them or do so automatically.
0 Replies