Curious about how servers work, and why they lag

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:19 am
I know it has something to do with the amount of bandwidth that a server can handle, but I'd like a detailed explanation. I know nothing about this, but I would like to learn more.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,022 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:35 am
Hmmm, me, too.

My very (very) unclear "(mis-)understanding" is: a server is a dedicated CPU (or bank of linked CPUs) that moved messages around. Since they are most always Windows-based, that's one of the big limits to dataflow.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:44 am
If you mean webservers, I'm no expert but I know a few reasons why they might lag. Poor memory and thread management is one reason. Hardware limitations can also be a problem. The science of figuring out the absolute best configuration for a given application or service is still very much evolving -- I think.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:16 am
Cav
Servers can lag because your computer is badly infected with spyware. A program that scans for spyware and removes it is important for any computer.

BBB
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:19 am
How Web Servers Work
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 11:23 am
Mac -- Thanks! That's amazing. I am reading about the Atlas of Cyberspace and stunned at how we're connected.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:04 am
That's a great link mac, thanks.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:06 am
Re: Cav
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Servers can lag because your computer is badly infected with spyware. A program that scans for spyware and removes it is important for any computer.

BBB

We have all the top spyware, update regularily, and are clean. We are also behind a firewall. That was something else I was curious about, how firewalls might cause lag.
0 Replies

COXY1

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:28 am
its very unlikely that a firewall can make a server or client lag, its job is to allow or disallow data to and from your computer.

there are many things that can make a server lag it depend on what the sever is serving to what the problem could be.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:55 am
Thanks COXY. This has been very enlightening so far. Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:17 am
I need to finish reading that link. Wink
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:31 am
COXY#1 wrote:
its very unlikely that a firewall can make a server or client lag, its job is to allow or disallow data to and from your computer.

there are many things that can make a server lag it depend on what the sever is serving to what the problem could be.

Corporate firewalls are sometimes overloaded. Any device between you and the web server could potentially be a problem, but usually it is the performance of the web server or malicious attacks that slow things down.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:32 am
What about routers?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:42 am
Routers can be overloaded and/or attacked.

Bandwidth is more likely to be the problem, however.
0 Replies