Zulu time

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 05:41 pm
I posted this in the TV forum, but thinking about it I may have more luck here.

I watch american show JAG, anyone who has seen it will know that when it shows the time of day during the program, the time is given as, for example, Zulu 14.30 hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is divided into 24 time zones. For easy reference in communications, a letter of the alphabet has been assigned to each time zone. The "clock" at Greenwich, England is used as the standard clock for international reference of time in communications, military, aviation, maritime and other activities that cross time zones. The letter designator for this clock is Z.

Times written in military time (24 hour format) are four digits, such as, 1830Z (6:30 pm) with the Zulu suffix. Note that the phonetic alphabet is used for the letter Z (Zulu). This time is usually referred to as Zulu Time because of the letter assigned to this time zone.

So my question is this, why on JAG (which is set in Virginia) is the time always given in Greenwich meantime terms?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,849 • Replies: 10
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 06:46 pm
If I understand the question, the importance of Greenwich mean time is it's use in navigation. There was a book, and accompanying series, called 'Longitude' which might explain the naval fixation with GMT.

The only way to determine longitude was to know the time in Greenwich where ever you were when you took readings on the position of the sun. (ie local time was irrelevant - largely because you didn't know where 'local' was).
0 Replies

henrythe8

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:34 pm
hingehead wrote:
If I understand the question, the importance of Greenwich mean time is it's use in navigation.

Agreed, but this is a story about lawyers, if they are in a courtroom in Virginia trying a case at 0900 hours on a wet wednesday in March, why would the time be given as 1400 Zulu?

It may make perfect sense but if it does I dont see it Confused

Do we have any ex navy people here?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:36 pm
Maybe it does make a sort of sense, especially in this day and age. I imagine that in an era of high speed communications 'absolute' time is very important. You know, in those cases when it's about who knew what when...

or maybe I'm just whistling in the wind.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:43 pm
JAG? Haven't seen the show, but sound's like the Army's Adjutant General Corps. If so, the military frequently uses Zulu time - except the Marine Corps, of course, which would express 0900 hrs as "The little hand is on 6, and the big hand. . . "
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:45 pm
LOL. Twice! If the little hand was on 6 it couldn't possibly be 0900.

From the halls of montezuma...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:54 am
Maybe that's why I had to go into the Army instead Embarrassed
0 Replies

henrythe8

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 01:59 pm
roger wrote:
JAG? Haven't seen the show, but sound's like the Army's Adjutant General Corps. If so, the military frequently uses Zulu time - except the Marine Corps, of course, which would express 0900 hrs as "The little hand is on 6, and the big hand. . . "

roger, jag stands for Judge Advocate General It's the USA navy legal dept.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:09 pm
As far as I know, most navies use as official time Zulu-time.

(Which during my time with Germany's biggest cruise agency usually led either to the question "Zulu or Alpha?" [10%] or persons being one hour too late or too early [90%] :wink: )

Btw: beside the world's navies, Zulu-time is the reference time for aviation as well (e.g. satellite passing times are in Zulu).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:17 pm
henrythe8 wrote:
It may make perfect sense but if it does I dont see it Confused

No conversions are necessary, everone knows exactly when what happens.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 05:17 pm
Exactly. Forget the Marine Corps, Walter is right.
0 Replies