0 Replies

starzz

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:15 pm
lol yes..
though im not sure who they are lol
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:16 pm
Well, you're the only one asking about EQs and Volcanism.
0 Replies

starzz

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:17 pm
never mind my ques.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:37 pm
There was just a post in the Europe forum re: Iceland's volcano eruption this week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3982273.stm

Awesome power of Iceland volcano
A spectacular volcanic eruption under an Iceland glacier has forced airlines to divert flights to avoid flying through gas emissions from the blast.
The volcano first erupted on Monday, sending thick black smoke and ash heading towards continental Europe.

Since then, Grimsvotn volcano has produced a steady stream of ash and lava, with explosions sending ash up to 12,000m (40,000 feet) in the air.

It is thought to have been caused by drainage of a lake under the glacier.

Officials say people or homes are not at risk from the eruption of Grimsvotn, which is in an unpopulated area of the island.
But ash from the eruption under Vatnajokull glacier - Iceland's biggest - has landed in Norway, Sweden and Finland. The eruption was also violent enough to set off earth tremors.

Oli Thor Arnarsson of Iceland's Meteorological Office said a change in the wind could send the cloud toward central Europe.

"We are speculating that the eruption should be clear tomorrow. But if there are more eruptions, we may have ash over central Europe," he said.

Cancelled flights

Trans-Atlantic flights had been diverted south of Iceland to avoid the ash cloud, and domestic flights to the northeast of Iceland were cancelled.

Dutch airline KLM said it had cancelled 59 flights, stranding hundreds of passengers at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport, because of the cloud of ash hanging above Europe.
"Because of company rules we can't fly below it and we can't fly above it," said airport spokesman Frank Houben.

In addition to the threat from possible visibility problems, dust clouds from volcanic eruptions have been known to stop aircraft engines.

Grimsvotn last erupted six years ago and before that in 1995 and 1993, causing flooding.

The volcano lies on the Atlantic Rift, the meeting of the Euro and American continental plates.
The three major volcanoes of Iceland - Hekla, Katla and Grimsvotn - lie on the same fault line.

During the late 18th century, continuous volcanic eruptions in Iceland heavily damaged a quarter of the island nation, and blotted out the sun's light for several years.

Mother Nature can be very inconvenient.
0 Replies

starzz

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:49 pm
*sighs* thanks. but i've already printed and attached all my info. *sighs again*
0 Replies

deanmachine

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:42 pm
hey come on give other people a fair chance here. i'm working on the same project and id say its almost cheating what your doing here, and then keeping it all for yourself!? Don't you think thats a little selfish
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:43 pm
<squinting>
0 Replies

starzz

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:02 pm
hey what i did was so not cheating (i actually DID research a LOT on my own) and all the posts are there so read them. And start your OWN post if you're that desperate.
0 Replies

doc2

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 09:35 pm
starzz and deanmachine - what r your first names? im doin this project also.

anyone know of any future eruptions in hawaii and/or any good websites about hawaii?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 12:02 am
doc, Give this link a try. http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:55 am
youre not doing any real siting work, this is a school project no? Cause if you were doing siting and site planning and this was part of your data base you could be in danger of losiing any license in engineering, architecture, geology, planning etc
You should be seeking primary data

Since your goal is not"Where can I best locate a building?" but instead, "What precautions must i take for each area"
Have you looked at world seismicity data/ Int Vulcanism reports? Algermissen and insurance risk data? each country youve mentioned has a SUrvey or a ministry of environment-geologic element that compiles zone maps for areas around tec anomalies. they include earthquakes , volcanoes , and other hazards like landslides and tephra flow.
you really sould seek this out because , the first lesson you will learn when you do this for real is.
Never use unsolicited information about anything , because your professional liability insurance will drop you like a hot rock and , if you make a mistake, you will be carrying a big bag of liability.
Just a dose of reality , Im not even going to give you my own personal advice for the very reason ive stated above.

Im only critiquing your methods because your methods are not well thought out. So , Im guessing that this is 9th grade earth science.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 12:52 pm
farmerman, Don't be so hard on the guy/gal. We all have to start from the basics, and that means reading other people's reports and resources. If he/she wants to write a graduate thesis, then that's something else. Most of us only scratch the surface on any speciality knowledge base, and I find these chat rooms educational for other interests we may have.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 04:29 pm
This is one of my biggest hot buttons. tthe lessons learned may or may not be correct, since tthere is no attribution nor authority to check.

T, heres no lesson learned such that all professions that do this kind of stuff have license requirements that , like the Hippocratic oath, have a standard which means
'above all else, do no harm"

The question started with a "project" not a "lesson" discussion.The answers ranged from correct to incorrect and afew doozies. However, what did they (the partticipants in the project)learn about using basic resources? Absolutely Nothing, if I was their teacher, id want a list of resources and a discussion why these resources were chosen.

for tthem this is sloppy work, and frankly, a bit lazy. Fortunately, Im not their teacher. id demand much more.
0 Replies