Jury Duty Pay

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 09:56 am
Hello. Just wanted to ask this question. Im being called for Jury Duty once again. I have 2 jobs one in the morning from 6am to 3pm.....and another from 930pm to 5 am.....am I intilted to pay from both if I go to jury duty? Or would I still have to go to my night job?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 720 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 10:31 am
Your question can't be answered fully without knowing your location (at least the state if you are in the US.).

If you happen to be here in MA you are entitled to up to 3 days paid time away from both jobs for jury duty. If jury duty lasts longer than the 3 days you are on your own.

In some locations you aren't entitled to any paid time off for jury duty.
0 Replies

vinnyv07

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 11:09 pm
Im in NY and I am getting called for Fed Jury Duty. I cant find anywhere that will tell me if I get paid from both.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 08:57 am
The applicable NY law is

"New York State Consolidated Laws- Judiciary Law Article 16 ยง519. Right of juror to be absent from employment.

Any person who is summoned to serve as a juror under the provisions of this article and who notifies his or her employer to that effect prior to the commencement of a term of service shall not, on account of absence from employment by reason of such jury service, be subject to discharge or penalty. An employer may, however, withhold wages of any such employee serving as a juror during the period of such service; provided that an employer who employs more than ten employees shall not withhold the first forty dollars of such juror`s daily wages during the first three days of jury service. Withholding of wages in accordance with this section shall not be deemed a penalty. Violation of this section shall constitute a criminal contempt of court punishable pursuant to section seven hundred fifty of this chapter."

IMO, if you are on jury duty you should be excused from both jobs. While most people only sit on the jury panel during noraml daytime working hours it is entirely possible you could end up sequestered and unable to attend to any job.

You aren't going to find any specific laws that say whether you can or can't get paid from both jobs (or 6 jobs if you happen to have that many). You either work at your job or you are on jury duty. The laws aren't written to cover every possible variation on the theme. Also, what one employer does has no effect on the other.
0 Replies

vinnyv07

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 03:17 pm
thanks fishin
0 Replies