Affiliate website

LocanT

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 08:40 am
Craven first of all congratulations on a PR OF 7
Question!
To you or anyone else

I am doing a web site for someone and just wanted to run through an idea with you.

This site is effectively a shopping site with affiliate ads.

It is a simple .html site but using a basic template and SSI's for menus and and ad blocks for ease of maintenance; this way I can work offline as opposed to using any of the free content management systems around at the moment which require you to be online.

anyway there is a main method I would like your thoughts on.

Could you tell me what you think of this idea re SEO.

because of the hundreds if not thousands of affiliate links from individual products (and that is the general way the guy wants to go and I see it as making good enough sense to market)

What I thought was this

Because I want the pages indexed but not the links followed.

I thought of using a iframe for the ads.

the frame is called from a java script which then calls a .html page where the frame is, and has all the affiliate ads and links on.

This html page can be set at no index no follow

Does this make sense.

It really is a doddle to do and in fact with one click i can make the iframe on mouse read for all links on the frame something like

ABC Books Click to examine further

and then blank on mouse out.

I am comfortable with this method and do not have the time to learn new methods at the moment

Rememeber that we aret alking hundreds of individual prodcuts so a jump php script woudl be a nightmare

this way i cna use the exact link but it will not be shown on the status bar and I though the affiliate ads in a iframe would also be a bit more secure from scumware theft than a straight url on the page

just wanted your thoughts on it and if it is a good enough practice

thanks in anticipation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 754 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 12:59 am
Sounds like itwoudl work, but rememberthat a jump script doesn't haveto be configured for each and every link, the forums here use jump scripts for offsite links, I posted code on some thread with outbound.pl in the title.
0 Replies