Debating Techniques, styles and such.

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 04:20 pm
Any debating tips. Parliamentary, Cross -X are the styles that i have to use predominantly. I am a good and charismatic soeaker, and can think on my toes most of the time. ANy ways i can really impress the judges?

Refer to my other thread about the debate topic i have to use right now, and if you have any useful info, put it there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,775 • Replies: 24
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:15 pm
My favorite debating technique is explained here.
0 Replies

Debater

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:36 am
Etruscia:
Do you debate at a high school level? If so i might have some debate tips for you. I don't knwo how much help I would be because I am an LD Debater.
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 04:13 am
Re: Debating Techniques, styles and such.
Etruscia

Speak very loud, and with passion (as if you believe what you are saying). Here and there say something that you know people would like to hear (even if it has nothing to do with your speach).
And invite some friends of yours to support you with noisily manifestations.
In your speach try to suggest- not too obviously - that those who disagree with your ideas are ... (all that your public most detests).

I don't know if this method results all the time. But with Hitler it did.

But never, never try to be ironical, at the cost of your public. People hate that. Socrates did it, and see the result.

Good luck. Smile
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 11:59 am
Yeah, im senior higschool level.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:34 pm
Its occasionally useful to allow your jacket to drape open slightly, permitting your opponent to see your shoulder holster Mr. Green
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:44 pm
Master the art of "that wasn't what I meant at all" and have the cojones to back it up.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:56 pm
Another useful thing to know is that if there is an error of fact in an argument, it most frequently will immediately follow the phrase "It therefore is obvious... "
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 02:45 pm
The Gaelic Technique always works...

"Sure have another pint of Guinness and we'll talk about it the mornin"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 03:15 pm
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
The Gaelic Technique always works...

"Sure have another pint of Guinness and we'll talk about it the mornin"

I'm not so sure that would work at the high school level, but you do bring back fond memories of me honeymoon in West Cork, when a rather drunken young fella tried to pick up my new bride. Laughing
0 Replies

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 03:34 pm
That's the Irish spirit for ya...wine, women and song.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 03:17 pm
Well this hasnt been really too helpful, (excluding Val, thanks).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 03:18 pm
Your timing was probably a bit off, etruscia.
It's Thanksgiving weekend for most of the posters who'd normally chime in on something like this.
0 Replies

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:11 am
Etruscia wrote:
Any debating tips. Parliamentary, Cross -X are the styles that i have to use predominantly. I am a good and charismatic soeaker, and can think on my toes most of the time. ANy ways i can really impress the judges?

Refer to my other thread about the debate topic i have to use right now, and if you have any useful info, put it there.

Irish Legal Technique

1. Discover your opponents weakness
2. Exploit this weakness
3. Undermine your opponents credibility
4. Promote your strengths
5. Conclude with factual, forensic data

Regards, Bib. :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:51 am
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
Etruscia wrote:

Irish Legal Technique

1. Discover your opponents weakness
2. Exploit this weakness
3. Undermine your opponents credibility
4. Promote your strengths
5. Conclude with factual, forensic data

Regards, Bib. :wink:

My, it's CSIreland. :wink:
0 Replies

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:52 am
Thanks CF from CSI Bib. :wink:
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 10:21 am
I debated in high school (back when the Earth's crust was still cooling) so its possible things may have changed, but here are some points I remember:

1. Know the evidence, backwards and frontwards. I once won a debate (or at least scored a few points) by pointing out that an expert statement quoted by the opponent had been heavily edited, and the unedited quote -happily provided by me- actually supported the opposite point of view.

2. If something doesn't make sense, say so. I won a regional debate debating negative I thought I had lost, because my first rebuttal speech was over in 2 minutes, a definite debate no no. I didn't understand what they were talking about, and said so. Apparently, neither did the judge.

3. Be prepared for trick cases, but not too prepared. We lost the conference finals against a team that had leaked the details of a trick case they were going to use, and for which we prepared thouroughly. They then presented the same case they had been using all year, and we were off our game just enough to lose.

4. If you debate affirmative, go for the trick case if you have one. My best year was spent arguing a trick case that noboby in conference or regionals defeated. Might have won at state too, but bad weather and a rancorous relationship with that year's so-called "coach" kept us from going.

5. Debate affirmative. It's a lot less work.
0 Replies

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:19 pm
:wink: The Leprechaun Technique: :wink:

1. Lie to them
2. Swear at them
3. Kick them
4. Run from them
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:20 pm
The Banshee technique:

Just keep wailing until your opponent gets the fear that a dear relative is dead. Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:05 pm
Etruscia wrote:
Well this hasnt been really too helpful, (excluding Val, thanks).

Here you demonstrate a good technique. Strategic understatement.
0 Replies