everything was going to be.

And how you would always be here,
always by my side.

You never told me you were sick.
You never told me.

You didn't show me your pain.
You didn't want to make me hurt.

You didn't want me to worry.
You wouldn't let me try to ease the pain.

You kept it all deep inside
And you're gone.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 528 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Caroleeena

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:33 pm
Compelling poem. I especially like the discreet two line passages.

I'm wondering about the name. It is the only thing that doesn't seem to fit--at least to me. I am wondering why you chose it. It doesn't seem to apply to the poem overall. It does lead into the first paragraph and ee cummings often named his poems by their first line but, if it is the first line, it messes up the tidy two sentence structure of condensed expressions.

What were your thoughts in naming this piece?
0 Replies

Vex86

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:36 pm
I like it pessy
it just comes off as really sad to me
0 Replies

kellyvinal

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:59 am
A great poem, from head to toe. I feel your pain all these thousands of miles away. A most wrenching piece.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 07:11 am
Caroleeena wrote:
Compelling poem. I especially like the discreet two line passages.

I'm wondering about the name. It is the only thing that doesn't seem to fit--at least to me. I am wondering why you chose it. It doesn't seem to apply to the poem overall. It does lead into the first paragraph and ee cummings often named his poems by their first line but, if it is the first line, it messes up the tidy two sentence structure of condensed expressions.

What were your thoughts in naming this piece?

"sometime when i'm alone. I listen" Is how it's supposed to read. I couldn't think of a good title at the time so I just took the first word to lead into it. Please, if you have any suggestions on the matter, be my guest! I'm bad when it comes to titles!...lol
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 07:14 am
Also, I thank all of you for reading and commenting.
0 Replies

kellyvinal

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:05 am
And (I'm sure I speak for your peers/friends in this great forum) we thank you for posting your wonderful poetry!
0 Replies

Caroleeena

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:55 am
I agree. Your poetry is good and you create a sacred space by sharing it. Thank you.

I know what you mean about titles. To me, they are one of the hardest things about writing a poem. If a poem is a distilled experience, the title of a poem is the very poem distilled. That's why they're so challenging.

I like the word "sometimes" IN the poem. I would return it to the first line and the start afresh with the title. (Assuming you want one. They are not always necessary.) One title possibility would be to name the poem after the person for whom it is written. Another, perhaps simpler (yet elegant) solution would be to name it You, which is how you refer to your listener throughout.

You could also name it after the feelings you are expressing here, perhaps try to distill the lonliness, reget and isolation of this piece to a single word or phrase that encompasses all of those qualities. No easy task, I know, but, as I said, the title is often the hardest part of a piece to pin down.

Another option is to give it a name that refers to looking back at the past. Reflections, perhaps. Or Remembering. Or Looking Back. See where I'm going here? These are all actions of the speaker and fit nicely.

One final suggestion--if you're not comfortable actually naming the You in the poem, perhaps consider a play on their name. I once wrote a poem about a guy named Mark who done me wrong. I called it Marked. And in this case, it doesn't matter if the audience doesn't get the reference. You have alluded to it and tickled their curiosity.

I'd like to make one more comment about the poem itself (now that I have marinated on it over night.) I like that you didn't tell us what happened to "You" in the poem. I mean, I'm curious as hell but I still like the tease. At first I thought You might be a beloved pet, perhaps a cat who sings for his supper and cuddles with you all night, until the line "you said I was your drug" -- definitely a reference to a person and an allusion to an illness. Very nice.

Still, I'm damned curious...
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:03 pm
Thank you Carol for putting so much time and effort into your post. You have many great idea's here, but I still don't know...lol....i'll try "spirit" for now, but I don't think it's "the one" either! And for your curiousity.......we'll just leave it up to your imagination for now...hehe...thanks again!
0 Replies

Caroleeena

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 06:14 pm
Spirit.

I like it.

It is as much of a tease as the ending. And it is a nice ghostly allusion too. Keep searching if you must but I think this one fits nicely.
0 Replies