Transit of Venus: Never Again Until 2117

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2017 06:20 am
Transit of Venus: Never Again Until 2117

Quote:
The Oxford Dictionary of Astronomy states that a transit is "the passage of one object across another of larger apparent diameter, such as Mercury and Venus in front of the Sun, or its shadow across the face of a planet."

Who's up for witnessing this one?

Presently speaking the rule of thumb:
Quote:
DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN, as its rays will blind you—many astronomy companies sell special filters for such events.

Maybe in a hundred years, humanity will be able to clone new eyeballs for people who accidentally blind themselves during this event.

Question: how do I store a bottle of Suntory Yamazaki single malt 50-year-old whiskey? By the time this astronomical event occurs, it will be 150 year old whiskey.
http://i.imgur.com/1D3uchs.jpg
Anybody who accompanies me to watch this event will get a double shot of 150 year old whiskey ... if they bring something more substantial than chips or grapes to share with the group.

jespah

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2017 06:24 am
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2017 12:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:

I'll likely have to decline as my likelihood of being...well, it just aint too likely in present form. Perhaps a reincarnated self will be able - um, what'll your name be then?

Quote:
Question: His do I store a bottle...single malt 50-year-old whiskey?
By the time this astronomical event occurs it will be 150 year old whiskey.

One method is to drain the bottle dry this year (drink it now!). If held on for the next 100 years, just keep it out of the sunlight and in a cool place. Is there a dungeon available for long term leasing? The cool dark storage offers an indefinite storage span.

And if it has a cork, which many of the finer quality whiskeys have, check the cork occasionally as they have an annoying habit of deterioration. That of course would ruin the beverage.

In the meantime, a little traveling music from Shocking Blue (I prefer theirs over Bananarama):

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2017 01:42 pm
You can count on me. I bought a few crates of Twinkies last year to serve for the occasion.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2017 07:19 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Got a time machine? Look closer at the date.

Also:
http://able2know.org/topic/191685-1

But all is not lost. Total Solar Eclipses are much cooler. And one of those is coming to the United States in just a couple months. Make sure you don't miss that one.

http://able2know.org/topic/173820-1

There is also a rumored a2k gathering, although I'm unsure which state it is in. Vital to choose a location with no cloud cover.

I'll be seeing the eclipse in the Wind River Valley notched into the Rocky Mountains (red on the map) if anyone wants to come see the eclipse with me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Wpdms_nasa_topo_shoshone_basin.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2017 09:27 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

Got a time machine? Look closer at the date.

cough cough Surprised ((obvious joke thread))
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2017 11:03 am
I wonder what the proper attire will be. It's been rumored that Venus will be dressing casually.

0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2017 07:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh I missed it again? Man this is like the tenth time. Now I have to wait a full hundred years again. Good thing I have Trump comments to keep me entertained.
roger

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2017 09:01 pm
@Krumple,
Just take a nice long nap and leave us a note so we know when to lift the lid.
0 Replies