Touching the Void

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:39 am
I saw this movie/documentary awhile ago but saw it again last night on PBS. It is such an amazing story... anybody else seen it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,070 • Replies: 15
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:24 am
Someone must have seen this... 2 mountain climbers... broken leg... running out of water... snow storm... cut rope...
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:33 am
I haven't seen this particular one... But I once saw one about the String Theory. Super cool! It sure got my eyes stuck to the television from the beginning 'til the end.

Shocked
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:38 am
Hmmm... not familiar with that one... is it a true story?
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:48 am
It's actually a physics documentary on the new "string theory" (past quantum, etc.) that suggests that the universe actually derives from little inny binny strings that produce a sound (music, as they put it) and vibrations. Pretty weird stuff, but absolutely interesting.

They also mentioned many different dimensions as part of our existence.

The one you described does seem interesting though. I love watching the adventures that some these climbers go through... I saw once this one guy that went through to the North pole by foot and carriage (wolves, maybe?).
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:05 pm
superjuly wrote:
I love watching the adventures that some these climbers go through...

Go rent this movie then. It is the most amazing thing I have ever heard of a human being surviving. The pain he must have endured would drive most people insane is my guess. You know he lives becasue he is on camera from the very beginning talking to the camera but there are parts throuout his ordeal where you are thinking "There is no way he is going to make it."
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:20 pm
I've seen it, both on DVD and Film4.......best I've seen in a long time. Would you have cut the rope? Certainly food for thought Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:25 pm
Thanks for the recommendation, jp. I'm adding it to my Netflix list.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:51 pm
Sarah Morgan wrote:
I've seen it, both on DVD and Film4.......best I've seen in a long time. Would you have cut the rope? Certainly food for thought Rolling Eyes

Finally some else who has seen it!

If I couldn't pull him up... I think I would cut the rope. I can't imagine being in that situation. i really liked how they had the actual guys sitting there telling you what happened. I was expecting it to be more of a "movie" when I rented it but am really glad it was more of a documentary style.

Mac... you have to get it... you will not be disappointed.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:28 pm
It's number one with a bullet in my rental queue Very Happy - it should be here when I get back from T'giving on Saturday.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:59 am
he's still 'shunned' in climbing circles though, because of his decision....the jury will be out for a long time on this one Sad

Mac11........do tell what you think, when seen.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:25 am
Is that NetFlix rental queue, Max? They've lowered their price to compete and I'm thinking of resubscribing.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:19 pm
Hey mac did you watch it yet?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:37 pm
I caught Touching the Void the other night on PBS (along with Quinn). Quite a story of determination. A lot of damn luck involved too!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 11:57 pm
I finally watched Touching the Void. Wow, what a film!

At first I was too distracted by imagining how hard it must have been to film the re-creation, but I got caught up in the story and stopped thinking about the cameramen at some point.

And yes, you know he's survived, but I had a horrible feeling that he was a paraplegic or had lost all his fingers to frostbite or something. They never really showed us Joe and Simon full body, so I was relieved to find that they are both fully functional and still climbing. Shocked

The footage of the mountains was breathtaking.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:19 am
I saw it a while back - but dinna see your thread.

It was, indeed, a breathtaking film.

I also heard he was still shunned, except by the fella whose rope he cut.

Amazing country - and amazing grit.

I read that some folk will survive almost anything (if they start out alive!) and others will die when there is no absolute need to - I fear I would have laid me down and deed in the crevasse....
0 Replies