The Republican Party 2017

Lash

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 08:19 am
https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-06-26/cbo-senate-health-care-bill-would-reduce-coverage-by-22-million-cut-deficit-by-321-billion

In an historic election that baffled them inside the Beltway, Republicans were thrust into almost unprecedented power due to a few synergistic elements in a two-party environment:

a Democrat party that has morphed to closely resemble the GOP

proof of Dem cheating during the primaries that caused massive numbers of Dem voters to switch allegiances or stay home

Trump, a Beltway outsider, who spoke to economic issues, attacked unpopular groups (the MSM, *the Swamp in DC) , attacked political correctness (reviled by his base), and also gave more than a wink to xenophobia and racists. Something for everyone...

(*I'm definitely not claiming Trump has accomplished anything mentioned, but claiming these items played a part in getting him elected)

In the first days after the election, the GOP was a disaster. They were completely unprepared. McCain and Graham led a small contingent that seemed hellbent against the man who had delivered their party to the promised land.

I've noticed Graham's rhetoric is much more circumspect recently.

I just wonder why Republicans don't take advantage of their miraculous good fortune. They remain so deservedly hated for their consistently inhumane proposals.

(I've been reading about the splinter six Republicans who refuse to vote yea for the current healthcare bill. I'm sending emails to each of their offices today, and public messages on their Facebook pages and twitter accounts to thank them.
(Susan Collins ME, Rand Paul KY, Dan Heller NV, Ron Johnson WI , Mike Lee UT, Ted Cruz TX)
Please consider doing the same.)

What should Republicans do at this moment in history? Their opposition is desperately wounded.

What is your take on current and future prospects for the GOP?

tibbleinparadise

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2017 02:43 pm
@Lash,
I find both parties to be a bit of a joke. It's all lip service to the voters while doing nothing besides fill obligations to the lobbiests and contributors.

The only thing I am really sure of is a lot of politicians and corporate elites will continue to gain wealth while the average working Joe gets screwed and this will happen regardless of the president or which party has control.
camlok

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2017 05:07 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
As it always was, Tibble. And note the large crowd that has gathered here at Lash's thread to discuss it.

Lash has become "lady non grata" because she was too honest. There is nothing Americans hate more than honesty.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2017 06:50 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
I agree with you. I've been trying to get all incumbents voted out for the past twenty years.

Finally, a change is coming, but it's so damn slow.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2017 07:58 pm
https://youtu.be/zUzd9KyIDrMc

A political primer.

~System of a Down
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2018 07:41 am
Republicans,

What do you think your party should’ve done to capitalize on their 2 years of political dominance to popularize themselves?

Do you think this heyday ends in 2 days?

What kind of leader has trump been?
0 Replies