Hackers on MSN, How do you get rid of them?!

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:18 pm
Hey, my friend is having problems with hackers signing into their account on messenger... anyway to prevent this from happening?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 865 • Replies: 6
No top replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:20 pm
I don't know..but if someone knows the answer I would love to find out myself. I have had many hack my yahoo account, just to have to go and have my password changed to get back into it. I have even gotten on and found all my info that I have in my messenger gone......to reappear later.
0 Replies

Snowlock

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:45 am
if using a html based IM, make sure that when you log-in while using a public machine that you flush the cache, cookies, and history.

DO NOT leave the messenger on or allow it to 'auto' login...

Finally, mmake sure your password is a random combination of letters, numbers, Caps, and lowercase with a minimum of 8 characters.

-------------------------------------

I work as a computer technician for a local university and most students set the IMs to 'auto' login and many other students 'play' with their buddies or contact lists... sometimes vulgar other times very polite, but this is probably the worst mistake they make.

If you follow those rules, you shouldn't have problems... if you do you probably know the culprit and they're privy to your information.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:22 pm
Humm, Snowlock, I do that myself..

My messengers are set to where I have to log into them..and my passwords are or what I thought were damn near impossible to break into. Were talkin' 13 letters and numbers mixed..on most...if not more.

The few times that it happened, I was just in shock.
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 04:07 pm
Might be worthy of running some syware apps and virus scans on your system,

have a run through the steps outlined in this Post
Worst that could happen is you don't find anything on your system, The best is you don't find anything,,
Either way will rule it out just the same..
0 Replies

Snowlock

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 04:36 pm
Something else you may need to check, AutoComplete.

In windows, it has the AutoComplete feature... I know many students at the university that type only the first two letters of their username hoping the machine will remember the rest as well as the password.

So, make it a habit to check AutoComplete and turn it off if it is on... go to the control panel, select Internet Options, click on the Connections tab, and select 'AutoComplete' towards the bottom. Uncheck everything that is checked and make sure to click once on 'clear forms' & 'clear passwords'
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 07:18 pm
Ok...will do, and THanks!

Sorry Ironman, didn't mean to take over your thread, but its something that I have had a problem with also.. Shocked
0 Replies