[split] pancake batter

Pharon

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 07:45 pm
Hey

could everyone give me their opinion on the best "pancake" batter??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,249 • Replies: 29
No top replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:08 pm
Hi Pharon,

I think my favorite are sourdough pancakes,..but they do involve a bit of thought ahead of time (starting them the night before).

I also have a great recipe for banana/buttermilk pancakes that are served with torrone butter, and orange spiked
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:09 pm
orange spiked maple syrup!
0 Replies

Pharon

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:13 pm
Jebus I'm drooling.
send me the recipe
send it SENT IT Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:14 pm
recipes, or just teasers?
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:28 pm
I'm not particular about which batter but have you guys used fresh squeezed lemons and brown sugar instead of syrup? It's good.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:29 pm
last night and this morning i put fresh lime juice and syrup on my pancakes. it was a great combo.
0 Replies

Pharon

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:34 pm
only if
ehBeth wrote:
recipes, or just teasers?

Well if the recipe's are as good as the teasers then I'll try a recipe.

If not, keep teasing
Laughing Laughing :wink: Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:35 pm
Ooooh, I'll have to try that.
Last night and this morning, eh? It's nice you take the time to really enjoy your meals.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:36 pm
ehBeth wrote:
last night and this morning i put fresh lime juice and syrup on my pancakes. it was a great combo.

Dan-E's dad brought some Canadan maple syrup down with him from Canadan land! Dan-E is gone right now so if anyone gives me a recipie lickety split I can steal his syrup and have some good chow tomorrow!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:39 pm
I got a bit carried away, BlaiseD. I should have cut the recipe in 1/2 (at least). The recipe was for 10, 4" pancakes. Being demented Shocked I made 4, 10" pancakes. I had most of one last night. Gave the rest of that one plus most of a second one to the dogs. This morning, I had 1/2 of one - the dogs split the other half. There's still one left. I'll nuke it at work tomorrow.

Basic buttermilk pancake recipe with an extra egg and an over-ripe banana liquefied in, and a shot of Napolean Brandy. Then the lime and syrup. Beyond heavenly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:42 pm
ooh - real syrup - i hope he brought you, errr DanE, grade B syrup - it's much more maple-y.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:46 pm
He he, I just took it from his closet. He took one bottle to his girlfriends house to keep it safe and has threatened me to not take a spoonful of this stuff. But if I can make some pancakes I'll say it fell or something! he he

It doesn't say what grade. It's "Organics Biologique - Canada N01 Medium 100% Pure Maple Syrup"
0 Replies

Pharon

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:54 pm
I don't really care what size the darn things are, i am really now in the mood to get up and make pancakes and it's all your fault.

if you don't hear from me in the next 20 min. you know why.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:54 pm
100% - man , that is going to be some sweeeeeeet.

medium is grade B - i think

you've got the good stuff - treat it with respect - enjoy the pancakes (have you got flour, eggs, sugar, stuff like that?)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:56 pm
beth, I don't have anything on that list but sugar. And that's reserved for drinks ;-)

So I put it back in his closet. ;-(

Hope he doesn't see this thread or my plans might be foiled.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:56 pm
Pharon - you take a risk when you ask about pancakes - someone might start talking about them ! Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:59 pm
you at least need eggs - with bread, eggs and a bit of milk you could have made french toast - and used the syrup on that
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 09:03 pm
Ok,.here's the recipe:

Banana Buttermilk Pancakes

2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 ripe medium bananas
Softened butter or vegetable oil, for cooking the pancakes
In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, butter and vanilla. Whisk the dry ingredients into the liquid until combined. Chop the bananas and add them to the batter.
Heat a griddle (or skillet) over moderate heat until hot, brush with butter or oil. Drop 1/2 cups of batter onto griddle to form pancakes and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden brown, about 1 minute. Flip pancakes and cook until undersides are golden brown and pancakes are cooked through, about 1 minute.
Serve with Orange-Maple Syrup, and Almond Butter

Orange-Maple Syrup

1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
1 cinnamon stick
½ cup orange juice
Put all ingredients into a medium saucepan, cook on medium high heat for about five minutes.
Remove cinnamon stick, and serve.

Almond Butter

1 cup unsalted butter
¼ cup almond paste
½ tsp salt

Put all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor.
Process till smooth, serve as you would plain butter on your pancakes (but don't cook with it!)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 09:04 pm
Man pancakes almost don't exist here in Brazil. They eat salty pankcakes with meat etc in them!

They don't eat french toast either! I'm going to have to make a good breakfast one of these days. But I'll have it for lunch (I wake up around the crack of noon every day now).

edit: Thanks Jerry! I think Dan-E USED to have some maple syrup!
0 Replies