America Cup yacht races.

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 03:05 pm
Does anybody on a 2K know anything about America Cup races?

I just stumbled on these races on television, and tthey're incredible. The designs of the yachts are like something I've never seen before. The designs are absolutely beautiful. They're using hydrofoils which lift the hulls above the water.

New Zealand is ahead of America 3-0 and the races are continuing next weekend. I don't know how many legs or races constitute the tournament. If anybody here knows anything about these yachts and races please let us know, because I think most of us are ignorant on these incredible events.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 797 • Replies: 16
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 03:36 pm
Quote:
Why is there an apostrophe in "America's Cup?"

It's named after the schooner America, which won the inaugural race in 1851.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 04:03 am
@coluber2001,
when did thy go over completely to catamarans?
Ive reqd that the speed potential of cats , especially those with hydrofoils, is about 4 times the windspeed, so, in a driving gale we could see 70 mph and higher.(Of course , if theres enough fetch, the wave heights would be more limiting)

I have pictures of the Old Gloucestermen boats(which is where it all started as a market race), J boats, 12 meter classes and they all have interesting design features. Cats, however, I dont know. These guys are gonna be on the edge of disaster in high wind races.

Interestingly, the boats all look pretty much the same so its "sailsmanship".
coluber2001

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 09:16 am
@farmerman,
Apparently they've been using catamarans with foils for a couple years.now. I turned on the television Saturday and they were racing, New Zealand against America. I've read that the maximum speed is twice the speed of the wind. They've achieved about 56 miles per hour. I agree that the limiting factor will be the choppiness of the water increasing with the Wind. Still, they're a sight to behold. Sailing along on four and sometimes three foils. The races are continuing next weekend.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 09:43 am
@farmerman,
Its sad to see the old 12 meter boats go away with the tiller.

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:06 am
America's Cup race going on now on NBC. 12:00 pm
Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:44 pm
@coluber2001,
sailing is an amazing activity...wind in your hair...challenging the elements. Watching sailing, IMHO, is a tad better than watching golf.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 01:05 pm
@Ragman,
Golf is good, great, supreme?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 03:28 pm
@Ragman,
naah , watching golf is slightly ahead of watching pinochle or mah jhong tourneys. Now with these new "sailcams" and all the tech, sail watching cn almost be exciting.
GOLF has never been accused of being exciting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 03:44 pm
<flyspeck>
margo

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 12:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Well...it's all over now!

Kiwi winners!
roger

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 02:44 pm
@margo,
That's un-American.
coluber2001

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 03:15 pm
@margo,
I saw the races Saturday and Sunday, and I figured New Zealand would take it on Monday. No television coverage on Monday. Win or lose these Yachts are a sight to behold.

I still haven't figured out what all the yachtsman we're doing cranking and pedaling. I thought at first they were trimming the sails that way, but that's just a guess.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 03:29 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/27/pedal-power-and-poker-faces-what-drove-new-zealands-americas-cup-success

America and New Zealand's skippers - both Australian Smile

Quote:
A sneak attack was never going to be enough to catch the well-resourced, two-time champion Oracle off-guard. Team New Zealand needed to rely on innovation to be successful according to the team’s CEO, Grant Dalton. “We knew we couldn’t outspend them,” Dalton said after the regatta. “If they had to outspend us 5-1, or 7-1 they would. So we had to outthink them.”

The best example of this innovation was the decision to opt for a bicycle system – or a “cycle grinder” to harness leg drive over arm spinning to power the flying catamarans. The only team to adopt such a tactic from launch, it allowed the New Zealand sailors the use of their arms for trimming, enhancing their efficiency for other tasks across the entrant.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11882960

Quote:
Helmsman Peter Burling said he hopes Aotearoa will be recommissioned and he has another opportunity to sail her in Auckland.

"It's a really cool boat to sail and it's going to be a little sad not to sail it for a little while now," he said.

Burling's mother, Heather, described it as the "biggest, bestest toy he's ever had".

It is unlikely the boat will be used for anything more than exhibition sails, however, with Team NZ expected to move to a different class of boat for the next event. The Kiwi syndicate is currently in discussions with Luna Rossa, the official challenger of record for the 36th America's Cup match, over what shape the next event will take. It is rumoured the Italian team are determined to see the Cup return to monohulls.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing/2017/06/27/new-zealand-must-keep-multihulls-lead-americas-cup-new-era/

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2017 03:36 pm
I'd love to see a full-length documentary on this.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2017 08:33 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

That's un-American.

That's true...but that's not a bad thing. What we see coming out of America these days is pretty unattractive.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2017 08:34 pm
@ehBeth,

Yep. We can't afford to mount a challenge - but we like to be in there!
0 Replies