WHY DOES PC PLAY SOME CD-ROM NOT OTHERS?

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 01:28 pm
For the most part I can insert the disks and my pc takes over. But the last two will not play.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,413 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 01:35 pm
Are these audio or data CDs?

If data CDs, check them and see if they have an "Autorun.exe" file in the root directory. That program is what Widows uses to know to start the Data CD program. If it doesn't have the autorun.exe then that's how the manufacturer intended the disk to work...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 09:00 am
fishin
After I read your answer I was able to open one CD, but a second was in the file in a fragmented state and I could only play bits and pieces of it.
0 Replies

bored

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:25 pm
The technology to make cds has a series of levels. Depending on your operating system or server, your cd might not be able to read a certain cd.

Most are made at the Joliet level which can be read by most OS except Windows 3.1.

It could just be the way the cd was created is a level that is not compatible with your cd drive.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:31 pm
edgar - sometimes I have audio cd's that play immediately and others are "touchy". Those are the ones where a script prompt appears to say "Please put a disk in this drive" or somesuch. On those occasions, I may have to open and close several times or to literally take the cd and put it in and out to get it to "take". If I have too much trouble, I do carefully examine the disk to check for scratches of any sort. For that situation, I use a plastic polish made for cleanning cd's - Novus.
0 Replies