Maybe a silly question.....

Rae

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:31 pm
I'm on a cable connection.

Yesterday, my boss introduced me to Spider Solitaire. I've played about a thousand games since then. All of a sudden, within the last hour, the cards are moving faster. Is it because the game 'recognises' me now, or that there was a delay because of traffic (on the server) every other time I played?

Told ya it might be a silly question, but I'm really curious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,035 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Rae

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 12:11 am
No takers, huh?
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 12:22 am
I play games online quite a bit but I've never experienced that sort of thing. I wish I had an answer for you, Rae.

Those darn games can be addicting can't they? Laughing
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 12:28 am
Thanks chatoyant.....I was already addicted to classic solitaire. But this Spider Solitaire......whew!

I'm not really complaining about the newfound speed, I'm just curious.

The only online game I've played has been chess ~ thanks to Craven. He doesn't know that I've kept playing since our first game.....

<I'll be back, Craven.....watch out!>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 01:23 am
That might have been my last online chess game, don't remember.

Anywho, oneposibility is that the images used in this game are now in your browser cache and thus load more swiftly due to the fact that they are located on your PC.

Just a possibility, contingient, of course, on the game being a browser based game.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:06 am
Rae- If it is an online game, it may have to do with how fast the cable connection is at that particular moment. Take a look at this:

Link to bandwidth test pages

When my computer seems slower, I usually check, and sure enough, it is not up to speed.

Now I have a related Q. I play a game called Easybridge, which is on my hard drive, so my cable connection does not matter. I have more RAM than I need. I use MemTurbo, which defrags RAM, so I always can check to see how much is free. Every once in awhile, one card will move s-l-o-w-l-y. Can't figure that one out!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:06 am
Thanks Craven and Phoenix. The game is on my computer - not online.

The cards move so darn fast now that I'm not doing as well as I was - I was able to concentrate as the cards were being dealt.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:12 am
Back to slow again this morning. Shocked
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:54 am
Rae, my dear mother addicted me to Spider Solitaire. Can you do the 4-suit version successfully? I've never won that type, but the 2-suit I win over 50% of the time or so. As for 1-suit, it's pretty much a cakewalk unless I'm really not paying attention.

As to why a game on your hard drive would be slower or faster, that may depend on whatever else you may have had open at the time, e. g. more or less available RAM.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 10:01 am
jespah ~ still getting comfortable with the game itself, so I'm stickin to one suit. I tried two yesterday, in a weak moment, and thought I was going to lose my mind! You're going to have to explain the two-suit game to me.

Had the same programs open when is was slow and fast, so I'm stumped there.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 08:08 pm
If it's not a browser based game it may well be RAM, there are a host of tasks that can run "in the background" and it could be that one of said tasks is being run at the time. Of course this is just a guess. I've never played spider solitare.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 08:38 pm
Thanks, Craven. It's really not a big deal, but did pique my curiosity.

How ya doin with Excel, by the way?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:29 pm
I'm working on a Sunday night if that tells ya anything. LOL

Excel has been easy and I don't need to create any tracking systems in Quick Books anymore so I'm doing everything on Excel. I've had many questions about it but haven't had the time to investigate the answers.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:32 pm
Let me know if I can help.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:34 pm
For now I just need to get the job done with what I know, but soon I'll venture into the linking of sheets etc. Excel is such a boring program.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:40 pm
There are no silly questions.

Only silly people who ask questions. :wink:
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:41 pm
Interesting side note - a seach engine(private) that I use at work, kinda tracks your searches. Went 2 straight days on seaches with no success then came back and it found what I was looking for. There's a couple of us that use the engine, and we all notice it's helping us. Very Amazing.
0 Replies

coming

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 03:43 am
games
Do you share your computer? Someone might have changed the options on the game. I have only played a few commercial games and yes they do keep track of how frequently you play and speed it up after a while. Makes you feel small doesn't it?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 10:05 pm
Ummmm.....not really, coming. As far as the 'feeling small' bit is concerned.

A coworker was interested in my question, too, and checked her computer for Spider Solitaire. She is on cable as well, and has told me that the game moves 'fast' for her.

I give up.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:04 pm
An interesting thing I've noticed.....

My spider solitaire moves WAY fast if I have another window open to the A2K chat room.....No, this is not a joke! Everytime I'm in the chat room, spider moves right along nicely!

Very strange. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies